• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Can someone please fill me in on this past week?

Vergeben singled out Wright, but Sabi said Capcom is still possible?

I need to know whether or not that latest deconfirm snap is worth trusting, because all of my most wanteds are on it.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The Game Awards have never actually been a massive night, it's an awards show first and foremost with cool reveals and trailers sprinkled throughout. Losing Half Life: Alyx was definitely a big blow, but they still delivered in my eyes with No More Heroes 3 and Bravely Default 2. I feel that some of the best parts were things like Reggie's speech (which we really need more of at TGAs - it really made it feel like a respectable event) and the Muppets (genuinely super funny and celebrated a popular game in UGG). The orchestra medley was great too.

Things got announced. They should've been spread out more and Final Fantasy 7 should've been saved for the second half of the show, but stuff like the Xbox Series X reveal and Hellblade 2 ARE heavy hitters. They should've just saved the NMH3 or Bravely 2 trailer for the second half along with Final Fantasy 7's new trailer to add more variety and "big" announcements on both halves of the show.

Joker was an anomaly, not the rule. Generally speaking TGAs are just a way to kill an evening and ****post with your friends and sometimes a cool announcement happens. I had fun because it let me unwind after work and make dumb tweets and get excited when the stuff I'm really into got shown off.

It would've been nice to have symmetry, but I'm hoping we get a direct announcement soon or in January. I like that we are truly in the dark as to who fighter 5 is for real though. Pretty exciting.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
The Game Awards have never actually been a massive night, it's an awards show first and foremost with cool reveals and trailers sprinkled throughout. Losing Half Life: Alyx was definitely a big blow, but they still delivered in my eyes with No More Heroes 3 and Bravely Default 2. I feel that some of the best parts were things like Reggie's speech (which we really need more of at TGAs - it really made it feel like a respectable event) and the Muppets (genuinely super funny and celebrated a popular game in UGG). The orchestra medley was great too.

Things got announced. They should've been spread out more and Final Fantasy 7 should've been saved for the second half of the show, but stuff like the Xbox Series X reveal and Hellblade 2 ARE heavy hitters. They should've just saved the NMH3 or Bravely 2 trailer for the second half along with Final Fantasy 7's new trailer to add more variety and "big" announcements on both halves of the show.

Joker was an anomaly, not the rule. Generally speaking TGAs are just a way to kill an evening and ****post with your friends and sometimes a cool announcement happens. I had fun because it let me unwind after work and make dumb tweets and get excited when the stuff I'm really into got shown off.

It would've been nice to have symmetry, but I'm hoping we get a direct announcement soon or in January. I like that we are truly in the dark as to who fighter 5 is for real though. Pretty exciting.
So that deconfirmation list with Wright on it from Verge is meaningless?

I really hope it is, because it has all of my most wanteds, but idk at this point.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So that deconfirmation list with Wright on it from Verge is meaningless?

I really hope it is, because it has all of my most wanteds, but idk at this point.
Pretty sure that wasn't aimed at you. At any rate, my take on this is that Vergeben is still to be trusted, which sadly also includes the most recent "kill list" update that included Nick.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Nice to know that I wasted 4 hours of my life watching the game awards with barely any Nintendo news at all... And on my birthday of all days.

This was my first game awards ever, and I'm pretty sure I'm ever watching the game awards ever again.
Kind of shame with this one. The last two in 2017 and 2018 were leagues better.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nice to know that I wasted 4 hours of my life watching the game awards with barely any Nintendo news at all... And on my birthday of all days.

This was my first game awards ever, and I'm pretty sure I'm ever watching the game awards ever again.
Happy birthday!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm not going to blame Nintendo for anything. They didn't promise to announce anything at the game awards and I still went in expecting something. So being disappointed is my fault.

It's just easier to say the game awards was a disappointment if you wanted to go in for Nintendo stuff and ONLY Nintendo stuff.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Pretty sure that wasn't aimed at you. At any rate, my take on this is that Vergeben is still to be trusted, which sadly also includes the most recent "kill list" update that included Nick.
I don't know, he's a bit suspicious to me right now and the fact that his source has a source is a bit concerning. But maybe that's just me.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I don't know, he's a bit suspicious to me right now and the fact that his source has a source is a bit concerning. But maybe that's just me.
And he said his source didn't know KOS-MOS was from Bandai Namco. Should we really trust him?

BTW both Kosmie and Nick are still the popular picks for the next character.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm fine with no fighter 5 news, but the lack of Bayo3 news did sting a bit (or SMTV but I knew that was way beyond the realm of possibility).

KillerCage

Smash Master

I feel you, man. I feel you.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
it would be cool if we got a new Phoenix wright announcement at Jump Festa like some here have been guessing might happen but We'd Still need another collection just to get the switch up to date

not really sure if capcom's thinking much about the ace attorney series right now anyways

Krankees

Smash Ace
While I want the wait for the next direct to be as peaceful and spoiler free as possible, I have to ask. Who is the current frontrunner for FP5? Is it still KOS-MOS?

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Fake. That's just a regular ladder, I see no reason for Nintendo to call it "stepladder". That would just be fake advertisement.

Dunno how anyone could fall for this.
Yeah, I don't know why anyone would fall for such an obvious fake leak.

I, on the other hand, happen to be a leaker who has just gotten permission to leak the true identity of Fighter 5...

Her Final Smash is being asked if they've forgotten something and then saying nothing.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
While I want the wait for the next direct to be as peaceful and spoiler free as possible, I have to ask. Who is the current frontrunner for FP5? Is it still KOS-MOS?
Pretty sure everything in KOS-MOS’ favor fell apart after the Game Awards.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure everything in KOS-MOS’ favor fell apart after the Game Awards.
Yeah, the only thing she's got going for her right now is Verg's non-confirmation/non-denial that it could be her, which is highly suspect, and the word of Jon Cartwright if you don't believe him when he says he's not a leaker. But I'm inclined to think his incessant KOS-MOS teases (Frozen jokes included) were there primarily to mock leakers.

That being said, I'm not going to totally write off her chances, as I can see a pretty good internal justification for her inclusion. i.e. Sakurai wanted to put Rex in, but he missed the deadline and was axed as a Mii Costume, so Sakurai went to Monolith and asked for one of their characters anyway, and they suggested KOS-MOS, because she's a huge crossover character for the Xeno series. I can absolutely see something to this effect happening, resulting in her, against the current odds, making it in as FP5 anyway.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, the only thing she's got going for her right now is Verg's non-confirmation/non-denial that it could be her, which is highly suspect, and the word of Jon Cartwright if you don't believe him when he says he's not a leaker. But I'm inclined to think his incessant KOS-MOS teases (Frozen jokes included) were there primarily to mock leakers.

That being said, I'm not going to totally write off her chances, as I can see a pretty good internal justification for her inclusion. i.e. Sakurai wanted to put Rex in, but he missed the deadline and was axed as a Mii Costume, so Sakurai went to Monolith and asked for one of their characters anyway, and they suggested KOS-MOS, because she's a huge crossover character for the Xeno series. I can absolutely see something to this effect happening, resulting in her, against the current odds, making it in as FP5 anyway.
To be honest, Verge lost a ton of credibility in my eyes after that whole fiasco.

When Verges “source” said “no Namco”, it should’ve meant exactly that, no Namco for FP5. KOS-MOS is fully owned by Namco, that should’ve ended the conversation immediately.

However, when all of the “leaks” starting popping up for KOS-MOS, he created a scenario where it would be impossible for him to be wrong. He was probably worried about them potentially being true, so he went with the “not sure” route, despite this being a complete contradiction to him saying “no Namco, period.”

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
While her chances could still be decent depending on whether you discard VergeSabi's disconfirmation lists, I think that if KOS-MOS was to get in, Sakurai would have to go to Monolith and Namco asking for her directly, like he did with Cloud and Hero. That's arguably one of the things that make me doubt her the most, because we have evidence that he would like Heihachi and Lloyd in, but not her (or anyone else from Namco, for that matter).

So the hurdle is: would Sakurai go to Namco with the intent of getting KOS-MOS directly instead of the others?

Regardless, when it comes to our lawyer boi... I'm hopeful, though keeping expectations in check. It's just really weird to me that Capcom has two of its old Mii Costumes in the Pass, but no characters and coupled with the RE Spirits... dunno. I hope we get something as soon as early January.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
However, when all of the “leaks” starting popping up for KOS-MOS, he created a scenario where it would be impossible for him to be wrong. He was probably worried about them potentially being true, so he went with the “not sure” route, despite this being a complete contradiction to him saying “no Namco, period.”
You know. That actually makes a lot of sense. I don't want to call him a liar and used to believe in Vergeben after the Grinch Leak debate's conclusion. But that massive backtracking and him specifically bringing KOS-MOS as the exception with a convenient excuse. Everything just screams lying to save your butt.

In the end, almost all of those leakers were liars (We still have that one predicting Terry's presentation date that calls Phoenix) and we are back to square one. Maybe Sabi still has some credibility. As annoying as Sabi can be, his/her disconfirmed list still has no proof of being fake or right. And the announcement of VGAs was never guaranteed (Even if we wanted it to be).

Mjolnir1230

Smash Rookie
Hey, I think I may be on to something here (or just desperation for FP5 news...), but did anyone here see Nintendo's holiday sweepstakes (link: https://happyholidays.nintendo.com/sweepstakes/ )? They had themed gift packs for different games, Mario got some Mario merch, Overwatch had some Overwatch goodies. On 12/12, same day as the Game Awards, they had their Smash pack titled "A New Prize has Appeared". It featured a copy of Smash and a BLUE SUIT. A blue suit with Mario print, but still a blue suit. I thought it was kind of a strange choice, unless it's a hint for FP5... I'm probably just looking into it too much, but it just felt like such an odd choice to go with Smash.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Hey, I think I may be on to something here (or just desperation for FP5 news...), but did anyone here see Nintendo's holiday sweepstakes (link: https://happyholidays.nintendo.com/sweepstakes/ )? They had themed gift packs for different games, Mario got some Mario merch, Overwatch had some Overwatch goodies. On 12/12, same day as the Game Awards, they had their Smash pack titled "A New Prize has Appeared". It featured a copy of Smash and a BLUE SUIT. A blue suit with Mario print, but still a blue suit. I thought it was kind of a strange choice, unless it's a hint for FP5... I'm probably just looking into it too much, but it just felt like such an odd choice to go with Smash.
I really wish this was a hint, but it certainly isn’t.

Remember when they were passing out free Bandanas to Smash tournament crowds, and some people used that as evidence for Bandana Dee being in the base game?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
To be honest, Verge lost a ton of credibility in my eyes after that whole fiasco.

When Verges “source” said “no Namco”, it should’ve meant exactly that, no Namco for FP5. KOS-MOS is fully owned by Namco, that should’ve ended the conversation immediately.

And that right there, is a prime reason of why we still have hope for Phoenix Wright. Cause we're not really taking any of the regular Smash leakers seriously these days.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I have a question! The two Investigations games are interesting?
If both games are recommended, should I play these two before or after Apollo Justice?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If both games are recommended, should I play these two before or after Apollo Justice?
I'd suggest playing them before Apollo Justice. They're the last games that take place before the seven year timeskip, and the last time you get to see the characters in their old designs and "configurations".

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I'd suggest playing them before Apollo Justice. They're the last games that take place before the seven year timeskip, and the last time you get to see the characters in their old designs and "configurations".
I agree. Investigations 2 is my favorite game in the whole AA series as well, so I highly recommend them.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd easily classify Investigations 2 as the best post trilogy entry and my favorite game in the series. The first one is kind of a slog, I don't remember much of its plot coming to play in the sequel to be that big of a deal if you decide to skip it, but it's worth experiencing it to see how it improves over it I guess.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'd easily classify Investigations 2 as the best post trilogy entry and my favorite game in the series. The first one is kind of a slog, I don't remember much of its plot coming to play in the sequel to be that big of a deal if you decide to skip it, but it's worth experiencing it to see how it improves over it I guess.
I think Investigations 1 is still a good game and I still liked the story. That being said, Investigations 2 story was even more interesting than the first game's.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Personally I feel the investigations games work better than the 3DS games purely because the cast is mostly original characters in a different setting as opposed to the 3DS games which are trying to be continuations to Takumi's games.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They're very different from the main series in terms of mechanics and writing. I played the games in order of release, and I feel like that's a good idea since Apollo is very much Takumi's writing while AA5 and 6 follow the formula of the AAI games very closely. However it's probably okay either way, playing AAI first you do it chronologically.

I'll never understand why some people love AAI2 so much, I think it's one of if not the weakest game in all the series, but they're both definitely worth playing.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
So does anyone else feel unrealistically calm about FP5 right now.
I think the ups, downs, and all around chaos of the spec/leak scene pre-VGAs kinda wore me out, and now we've gone dead silent on that front. I'm hoping it'll stay that way until FP5 is revealed, and as soon as we get an announcement of a direct of any fashion, I'm staying away from this site and any speculation channels on Youtube to avoid being spoiled as best I can days before the reveal.

... On another note, I was thinking this over and I need some reconfirmation on this. Was Banjo "leaked" days before his reveal like Hero or Terry was? There was a big stir about those two a week or so (if not more) prior to their reveals, and I'm trying to remember if Banjo had the same buzz that would heavily tip off him being in. I remember there was a tweet involving Grant Kirkhope and a new design of Banjo's backpack on a new figurine of him, but I think a lot of people interpreted that as evidence for a new Banjo game at E3 rather than him being in Smash.

I might be being a bit too hopeful that, after Joker, we've had at least one character that wasn't all but "confirmed" a couple days before. Kinda miss the wild west of pre-release Ultimate, where I think the only character that got leaked like that was Simon due to Nintendo accidentally shooting their self in the foot on that one.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Honestly, I'm having some far more concerning irl issues to worry about fighter 5 right now, I'll hope it's someone I care about but it's not exactly a worry at the moment. The wait isn't as bad as the period between :ultjoker: tease and Heros reveal, we got Terry not that long ago after all.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
... On another note, I was thinking this over and I need some reconfirmation on this. Was Banjo "leaked" days before his reveal like Hero or Terry was? There was a big stir about those two a week or so (if not more) prior to their reveals, and I'm trying to remember if Banjo had the same buzz that would heavily tip off him being in. I remember there was a tweet involving Grant Kirkhope and a new design of Banjo's backpack on a new figurine of him, but I think a lot of people interpreted that as evidence for a new Banjo game at E3 rather than him being in Smash.

I might be being a bit too hopeful that, after Joker, we've had at least one character that wasn't all but "confirmed" a couple days before. Kinda miss the wild west of pre-release Ultimate, where I think the only character that got leaked like that was Simon due to Nintendo accidentally shooting their self in the foot on that one.
Some very credible Resetera admin heavily hinted at Banjo just a few days before E3.

Top Bottom