• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Krankees

Smash Ace
Phoenix can't go into smash without Maya obviously, so on the discussion of voice actors who do you think Maya's voice actor could be? I think it will most likely be Abby Trott since she sang Lifelight.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Phoenix can't go into smash without Maya obviously, so on the discussion of voice actors who do you think Maya's voice actor could be? I think it will most likely be Abby Trott since she sang Lifelight.
I think Maya would be silent like in UMvC3. Abby Trott was fine but I don't know if she fits young Maya instead of the adult SoJ Maya.
Unless the Nick and Maya we get in Smash are from SoJ. I don't know how the fan reaction would be to that.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Obviously Abby Trott. They'd be remiss not to go for her, since she's already in the staff anyway. Otherwise it'd be odd to go for someone else.

Unless the Nick and Maya we get in Smash are from SoJ. I don't know how the fan reaction would be to that.
Probably something along the lines of "Oy, Sak contradicts himself again!".

Then again, maybe they would need to tie into AA7. :ulthero:

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
At most I could see Phoenix having an alt with his more modern suits, but if Banjo, Pacman and Ken are anything to go by, they'll stick to the most classic look.
If you really want to cause controversy however, they'd make hobbo Phoenix the default.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I think Maya would be silent like in UMvC3. Abby Trott was fine but I don't know if she fits young Maya instead of the adult SoJ Maya.
I don't Maya will be silent. Joker and Little Mac had Morgana and Doc Louis voice lines so I think Maya would most likely have a voice actor.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Regardless of how things go, a reveal for Phoenix would absolutely be disguised as regular Ace Attorney, methinks. It's what drew Sakurai to the series through one specific trailer for the DS port of the first game (GBA in Japan). I think it was either @Sonsa or Wyoming Wyoming who brought it up, I'm not sure.
Yeah, I definitely see his trailer being one like Inkling, Isabelle, and Joker’s where it presents itself like something from the series, only for the big reveal to be that it’s Smash, rather than it started off as Smash and the reveal being the character, like Ridley, the Belmonts, K. Rool, and all the others got.

Unless, it starts off in some sort of court case involving some of the characters, potentially Joker in court for some events of the game, or even just stealing the Smash invitation, or Mario’s trial from the beginning of Sunshine, only for Phoenix to burst in with an OBJECTION right before the guilty verdict is called.

I’ve personally played a lot with the idea of Phoenix bursting into the Sunshine trial for his trailer.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, I definitely see his trailer being one like Inkling, Isabelle, and Joker’s where it presents itself like something from the series, only for the big reveal to be that it’s Smash, rather than it started off as Smash and the reveal being the character, like Ridley, the Belmonts, K. Rool, and all the others got.

Unless, it starts off in some sort of court case involving some of the characters, potentially Joker in court for some events of the game, or even just stealing the Smash invitation, or Mario’s trial from the beginning of Sunshine, only for Phoenix to burst in with an OBJECTION right before the guilty verdict is called.

I’ve personally played a lot with the idea of Phoenix bursting into the Sunshine trial for his trailer a lot.
I think there's quite a few ways it could go too. I've see suggestions about: Phoenix defending his own inclusion; Phoenix convicting Joker for stealing his invitation; Phoenix defending Joker; Phoenix defending Mario in the Sunshine trial, and so on.

I think it could also be him defending the game itself. Like, Edgeworth arguing how there's no way one could make a fighting game with so many characters and Phoenix jumps into Smash just to prove it. I think that would be hilarious and also fall in line with that original trailer that made Sakurai laugh (which explained the advantages of the DS port).

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Regardless of how things go, a reveal for Phoenix would absolutely be disguised as regular Ace Attorney, methinks. It's what drew Sakurai to the series through one specific trailer for the DS port of the first game (GBA in Japan). I think it was either @Sonsa or Wyoming Wyoming who brought it up, I'm not sure.
Here's the trailer in question:
Not only would a reveal trailer like this be faithful to the Ace Attorney series, it would have the same advantage as Terry's reveal trailer: being easier to produce on a low budget than a full-on CG trailer.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’ve personally played a lot with the idea of Phoenix bursting into the Sunshine trial for his trailer a lot.
That'd make even more sense, since :ultbowserjr: is in here, and all. The funny part is that people thought that there would be an HD SMS coming, due to that My Nintendo illustration of Mario eating watermelon, so imagine if they still thought it'd be coming when this happens.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Joker broke into VGA 2018, so he will be tried.
And who will defend him will be Phoenix Wright.

"Joker , you will be sentenced to..." "OBJECTION!"

Krankees

Smash Ace
Here's the trailer in question:
Not only would a reveal trailer like this be faithful to the Ace Attorney series, it would have the same advantage as Terry's reveal trailer: being easier to produce on a low budget than a full-on CG trailer.
I like the part where they hide their voices just to bad-mouth Edgeworth.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
All this hype behind the possibility of Phoenix getting in made me want to imagine a moveset, obviously there is some UMvC3 inspiration but also some original things:

Idle pose: Stands confidently. If you don't move then he starts to adjust his suit and Attorney badge.

Jab: Brings out paper and shakes it to prove a point.
F-Tilt: HOLD IT!! text bubble appears. It's a decent disjoint.
D-Tilt: Brings out a notepad to take notes.
U-Tilt: Phoenix has an idea and a lightbulb appears in his head that does damage.
Dash Attack: He's checking paper while he walks, ends with a final hit when he finishes.

N-Air: Shakes out his head and body.
F-Air: He holds a paper and tries to show it. Which does damage.
B-Air: He turns around and does an aerial HOLD IT!!
U-Air: He suffers a backpain that makes his hands and legs stretch out and do damage.
D-Air: Phoenix's face becomes terrified. A transparent Hammer barely bigger than him appears and swings through his body. Nothing happens to Phoenix though. The hitbox spikes.

F-Smash: OBJECTION!! The hitbox is huge. Comparable to Corrin's F-Smash. But very laggy.
U-Smash: Slams a desk. The desk slam's impact reaches even above him.
D-Smash: He trips and falls on his butt.

Grab: Maya grabs the opponent instead of Phoenix.
Pummel: Phoenix questions the opponent with papers.
F-Throw: Phoenix shouts a HOLD IT!! while Maya is grabbing the opponent.
B-Throw: Pearl appears and slides from the opposite side while Maya is grabbing the opponent. Both Phoenix and Maya look surprised.
D-Throw: Maya regrets treating the opponent like that and throws him downwards a bit too fast and not too gentile.
U-Throw: Phoenix gets an idea and a combo of paperwork and the lightbulb launches the opponent upwards.

Special Moves:

Neutral Special: Find Evidence. Similar to Pac-Man, Phoenix starts to look for evidence in the ground. The amount of time you let him do it determines the evidence he gets, but each tier needs some time. Which are (From maximum time to mininum time):
- Autopsy Report: He holds the report in his hand and releases a stronger and almost lagless OBJECTION!! that can even be used in the air.
- Coffee: You can throw it to an opponent. If it hits, it does high gradual damage.
- Thinker Statue: Phoenix throws it but it has very little range, yet it kills very early and spikes in the air (Do you know how it feels now Villager?).
- Luminol: He blows it and makes a little zone that does gradual damage similar to Piranha Plant.
- Cellphone: Makes a one time sound shockwave. It kills at high percentage.
- Trophy: "It's useless". You can throw it like Simon's Axe.

Side Special: Finger of Justice. If you have an evidence. You can use it to release a Finger attack. A really really big shining light comes from his finger that does damage. The evidence gets lost after using it once. If you have nothing. Then he just points and nothing comes out. That does no damage.

Down Special:
Magatama: He presents the Magatama and a psyche-lock breaks in front of him. It does little damage and knockback. But if it touches a shield, it breaks instantly.

Up Special:
Sneeze: He sneezes and that propels him upwards. It also has a hitbox that spikes. Yes, seriously.

Final Smash: Breakdown. A Giant Hammer appears and slams the ground. Opponents hit by the hammer enter a cutscene where they get breakdown'd by Phoenix after he proves they are guilty. It they have more than 100%, then they die instantly.

Taunts:
Up: Phoenix and Maya start to talk while a transparent Step ladder appears behind them.
Side: Phoenix smiles and points at the sky while Maya throws confetti.
Down: Phoenix starts to think and says iconic lines from the series at random, while Maya tries to start looking for evidence.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
So if they do put Phoenix in, what will they do about the PLxPW crossover music? Professor Layton isn't in the game so it might be likely that they ignore it entirely but I hope they don't because I love the cornered theme from that game.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
it probably depends on who owns the rights to the tracks, but I wouldn't hold my breath given the absence of CvsSNK tracks in the king of fighters stadium.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Down Special:
Magatama: He presents the Magatama and a psyche-lock breaks in front of him. It does little damage and knockback. But if it touches a shield, it breaks instantly.
I like this moveset, especially incorporating hold items to his specials. With the magatama I think it could break shields instantly only if he's holding evidence. I'd like to see hold items actually get used as a gimmick.

Edit: Also just for fun, make the Thinker statue into an item that spikes hard if it hits someone.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I like this moveset, especially incorporating hold items to his specials. With the magatama I think it could break shields instantly only if he's holding evidence. I'd like to see hold items actually get used as a gimmick.

Edit: Also just for fun, make the Thinker statue into an item that spikes hard if it hits someone.
Getting power ups from normal items would make him too powerful for casual matches I think. Because items spawn everywhere.
It's true that the Magatama being like that is too OP. It only should break shields it you have evidence. Like in the AA games.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Getting power ups from normal items would make him too powerful for casual matches I think. Because items spawn everywhere.
It's true that the Magatama like that it's too OP. It only should break shields it you have evidence. Like in the AA games.
I mean it should only be applicable to his pool of items.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Not going to lie. I am pretty hyped for his chances right now even though there is no real reason why I should be lol

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
It's true that the Magatama being like that is too OP. It only should break shields it you have evidence. Like in the AA games.
Even then it may be too strong, maybe with a specific type of evidence. Aren't shield breaks usually, either really slow or random?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I really need to sitdown and watch the anime myself. I just haven't had the time. I sat down with my girlfriend to watch it awhile ago but she only made it through a few episodes because she got bored seeing the triology stories again.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Even then it may be too strong, maybe with a specific type of evidence. Aren't shield breaks usually, either really slow or random?
Depends. For some characters, the shields are made of glass *Glares at Bowser's Down B*. And in those cases, not shielding kills you, but shielding ends with a shield break anyway. To counter the magatama. You would have to.... not shield at all, and you don't die for it

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Depends. For some characters, the shields are made of glass *Glares at Bowser's Down B*. And in those cases, not shielding kills you, but shielding ends with a shield break anyway. To counter the magatama. You would have to.... not shield at all, and you don't die for it
That scenario presents some cool mind-games for fights. Which coincidentally is what AA is good at.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Looks like that year old tweet featuring Kamiya and Takumi is being used against Phoenix now. PushDustIn posted it on his twitter.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I don't trust random tweets anymore. But from all the devs tweeting around. Kamiya is the least one I would take seriously. I still remember when he told the "Smash idiots" that asked for :ultbayonetta: to shut up. But she made it in anyway. He loves to troll and block people.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Looks like that year old tweet featuring Kamiya and Takumi is being used against Phoenix now. PushDustIn posted it on his twitter.
It's a really weird thing to bring up now. Maybe people are desperate to deconfirm Phoenix because he's been brought up to the spotlight?

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I trust Kamiyas tweets for a characters chances to be in Smash as much as I do a random 4chan text leak.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Kamiya regularly retweets requests for Viewtiful Joe in Smash, and as mentioned earlier, called everyone idiots for wanting Bayonetta in Smash, along with repeatedly implying it'd never happen.

He's just a troll, that's all.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
It's a really weird thing to bring up now. Maybe people are desperate to deconfirm Phoenix because he's been brought up to the spotlight?
Sadly, this is something that ALWAYS happens. People were searching for excuses to deconfirm Lloyd a few days ago. How sad.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
We are talking about the same guy who has blocked well over 4000 people, right?
I wouldn't take this tweet seriously.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
We are talking about the same guy who has blocked well over 4000 people, right?
I wouldn't take this tweet seriously.
Kamiya is a known ****-stirrer in a sense, yes.

I don't think this tweet means anything regardless. Takumi wouldn't have been consulted for the negotiation phase. The development phase is possible, but development for fighter pack 5 didn't start until summer at the earliest.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't trust random tweets anymore. But from all the devs tweeting around. Kamiya is the least one I would take seriously. I still remember when he told the "Smash idiots" that asked for :ultbayonetta: to shut up. But she made it in anyway. He loves to troll and block people.
He also conducted that poll in regards to characters he created, including Dante. You just can't tell how much he has planned behind fans' backs when he's not busy insulting them for giggles.

Sadly, this is something that ALWAYS happens. People were searching for excuses to deconfirm Lloyd a few days ago. How sad.
Some people just don't wait. Everyone wants to be Thanos, but only Sak and the leakers have the gauntlets. And only Sak has the actual gems.

Besides, their vitriolic efforts were wasted since Verge deconfirmed all of Namco for FP5 like a day ago.

Kamiya is a known ****-stirrer in a sense, yes.

I don't think this tweet means anything regardless. Takumi wouldn't have been consulted for the negotiation phase. The development phase is possible, but development for fighter pack 5 didn't start until summer at the earliest.
Reminds me of that one person who claimed that Sakurai wouldn't be interested in Kazuma Kiryu, as if he had any say in what he does.

https://powerup-gaming.com/2019/04/...i-would-want-yakuza-characters-in-smash-bros/

Last edited:

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
I really need to sitdown and watch the anime myself. I just haven't had the time. I sat down with my girlfriend to watch it awhile ago but she only made it through a few episodes because she got bored seeing the triology stories again.
You should, I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I feel season 2 really improved a lot. Plus there are parts that are done better than even the games, imo.

Not too worried about that tweet, it can even be seen as favoring phoenix's chances rather than hampering them if you look at it with the wright context.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
For all we know Takumi totally asked Kamiya that but was just being puckish in the same way as Grant Kirkhope telling people not to hold their breath for Banjo.
good comparison, didn't the Layton va also answer someone something along the lines he's totally in Smash 4 yet nothing came off it? Unless someone of relative importance says outright no to a character being in, I would take all of these comments with like a ton of salt to their importance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom