• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Krankees

Smash Ace
no way this is accurate, Von Karma would never celebrate Phoenixs addition on the biggest videogame crossover currently out there :108:
But seriously, my hopes for Phoenix will only dwindle if we only get a Capcom character that's not him post FP, and even then, he's not entirely done with unless the DLC finishes with him nowhere to be seen (or he's randomly dropped as a spirit similar to how RE was handled I guess).
If phoenix doesn't make it post fp5, I biggest fear would be if he's able to make it before Dante.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I am honestly very scared right now. I want to be excited but the fear won't let me.
Be cautious and possibly excited. We may only have a week for it, but it feels good ya know.

Just don't see it as a guarantee that Phoenix is #5 at all. There remains a lot of contenders that the smash speculation scene won't consider much out there that could happen.

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I am honestly very scared right now. I want to be excited but the fear won't let me.
Seriously. Phoenix being the frontrunner at this juncture is terrifying. This stage of speculation has been like a damn slasher film in terms of deconfirmations, and we all know the final girl doesn't always survive to the end.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm at the very least kinda glad Namco was pushed out of the way, as I personally couldn't really bring myself to be excited for any of their commonly speculated characters all that much, and if Phoenix isn't next, it'll at the very least be a surprise at this rate as most of the other popular picks where given the axe by our supposed leakers. But until the very moment of the reveal, fingers crossed for the spiky haired boy.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
In my opinion Capcom is the biggest boy of all the 3rd parties. Many of their IPs have characters that are highly requested. If you want to decofirm any company. Capcom would be the first one to get out of the way. If Sabi tried to ask his/her source for Capcom, and only got "Dante" as an answer. That's very suspicious...
Vergeben has been deconfirming whole companies as if he was Thanos. Him not deconfirming Capcom is also very suspicious.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Soooooo........ it's not actually Phoenix is it? Because like everyone else is out

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
In my opinion Capcom is the biggest boy of all the 3rd parties. Many of their IPs have characters that are highly requested. If you want to decofirm any company. Capcom would be the first one to get out of the way. If Sabi tried to ask his/her source for Capcom, and only got "Dante" as an answer. That's very suspicious...
Vergeben has been deconfirming whole companies as if he was Thanos. Him not deconfirming Capcom is also very suspicious.
I believe sabi probably just asked Dante given there was a very short lived rumor circling around about him specifically. That said, it's strange Verge didn't say no Capcom if fighter 5 ain't from them when they said no to Namco, the biggest frontrunner for a new pick alongside them.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I don’t think that is how it went.

Pretty sure Sabi heard a rumor for Dante, and then her source went to squash it. Also keep in mind Verge never said anything about Dante.

Krankees

Smash Ace
So if leaks are true, who is Phoenix's biggest competition besides Sora. I know we talked about Jonesy and Dovakiin but I haven't seen much talk about them lately. At least Sol came up.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Seriously. Phoenix being the frontrunner at this juncture is terrifying. This stage of speculation has been like a damn slasher film in terms of deconfirmations, and we all know the final girl doesn't always survive to the end.
One thing that has me wondering is that so far whenever there's been a leak or a new front runner they've been shot down right away. When Phoenix had his leak people shot down the leak and not the character. IDK what that means but it might not be a bad thing

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
One thing that has me wondering is that so far whenever there's been a leak or a new front runner they've been shot down right away. When Phoenix had his leak people shot down the leak and not the character. IDK what that means but it might not be a bad thing
I actually agree with this. I find it a bit peculiar.

We also got a Capcom heavy day with Resident Evil spirits announced on the same day Dante rumors appeared but got quashed. You could almost be led to believe they went to Capcom for something (well, they did - the spirits, but I doubt they planned this event a year ago lol) but that's perhaps too presumptuous.

It's all baseless and could be a wild goose chase.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I actually agree with this. I find it a bit peculiar.

We also got a Capcom heavy day with Resident Evil spirits announced on the same day Dante rumors appeared but got quashed. You could almost be led to believe they went to Capcom for something (well, they did - the spirits, but I doubt they planned this event a year ago lol) but that's perhaps too presumptuous.

It's all baseless and could be a wild goose chase.
Baseless bluffs and chasing even the smallest lead is what we're best at!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I personally don't see Sora as competition or a likely candidate, whether it's for fighter 5 or any future DLC. People love to bring up that Disney rep reply regarding his inclusion to Smash, but it seems like oversimplifying whatever paperwork they'd need to fill in to get that done. Disney has shown they can be quite the pain to work with Capcom constantly losing their properties, Netflix some Marvel series and the problems with Sony over Spiderman recently are anything to go by, whose to say the same couldn't happen in Smash? and even then, to properly represent KH, you'd need Disney and FF representation. Lets suppose FF ain't as important as their presence in the franchise has been dwindling since...I want to say either 2 or BBS (not like I feel Square would be too cooperative with this after how Cloud was treated), how do you get around not adding the Mickey logo on Soras keyblade? Or not including Donald or Goofy at all given their signficance to the franchise? I honestly think it's too much of a hassle/risk to go with it at the end of the day.
Baseless bluffs and chasing even the smallest lead is what we're best at!
10/10 reply.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Spirit board could be a problem for Sora since Donald and Goofy can't be in it. But they could probably get around it.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I believe sabi probably just asked Dante given there was a very short lived rumor circling around about him specifically. That said, it's strange Verge didn't say no Capcom if fighter 5 ain't from them when they said no to Namco, the biggest frontrunner for a new pick alongside them.
I don’t think that is how it went.

Pretty sure Sabi heard a rumor for Dante, and then her source went to squash it. Also keep in mind Verge never said anything about Dante.
So Sabi only asked about Dante. But still, Vergeben hasn't murdered Capcom yet and that is the first company I would ask for. Maybe is the next in his mass murder spread (Please no). Or the character is in fact, from Capcom, and the source is not telling him, so that's why he's deconfirming every other company instead.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
So right off the bat, I have not played a single Ace Attorney game-

[Opinion-discarded Noises]

Unless you count Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. He was fun to use there : P

That being said, I'd like to join the support group, since I believe he's the only Capcom character Sakurai would probably add in general, and second to Dante for me in terms of who I want overall. He might not be Fighter #5, but I have faith in his inclusion beyond the Fighter's Pass.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Verge said that DLC 5 isn't from Level 5 or Bandi Namco
Huh. Assuming he knows what he's talking about (which is a slightly tough ask), who's really left? Bandai's out, Level-5 is out, Doomguy is out, Geno is out, and all the companies who've just gotten characters are probably out, too. Other than Capcom, I do wonder who else has a shot.

culumon

Smash Apprentice
You know, it is kind of odd that Phoenix completely breaks colour theory.

Unless...

We're getting a very different Ace Attorney rep than the one we expect...

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I never really liked color theory.
Oh, me neither. It's almost definitely bunk regardless of whoever FP5 is, I was just playing along.

But also.

In addition to playing along.

I'm being 100% deadly serious and Gant should totally be FP5.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Oh, me neither. It's almost definitely bunk regardless of whoever FP5 is, I was just playing along.

But also.

In addition to playing along.

I'm being 100% deadly serious and Gant should totally be FP5.
He'd use clapping as his final smash.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Question. Did someone here vote for Phoenix in the ballot? I did. In fact, I think many people did, in those days I always saw him in polls as the most requested Capcom character. The Resident Evil / Devil May Cry demand didn't start until Cloud and then Joker joined and threw the Nintendo-related factor out of the window.
But I'm a cheater. I voted for Dixie at home, and then I voted for Nick in a different PC and network :mybodyisreggie:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I think it would be more than easy to just slap an orange(or whatever color is supposed to be next) behind Phoenix and it would work.
I know, I mostly didn't like it because it meant phoenix wouldn't be the character if it was based on a characters colors.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Question. Did someone here vote for Phoenix in the ballot? I did. In fact, I think many people did, in those days I always saw him in polls as the most requested Capcom character. The Resident Evil / Devil May Cry demand didn't start until Cloud and then Joker joined and threw the Nintendo-related factor out of the window.
But I'm a cheater. I voted for Dixie at home, and then I voted for Nick in a different PC and network :mybodyisreggie:
It's been a while, but I'm almost 100% certain I voted for Phoenix on the ballot. The only other character even in contention for me was Porky.

(And Monokuma, but we don't talk about him).

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I think I voted for Monster Hunter. I was knee-deep in 4U (or was it Generations?) at the time and completely forgot about Ace Attorney.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I was younger at the time and didn't put much thought into voting. Simpler times

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
My votes went to Mike Tyson and Nathan Drake. I was young and stupid

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Mine went to Morrigan Aensland. I was really getting into the Darkstalkers series at the time, and I figured if I could somehow help Morrigan get into Smash, it would make the series popular enough to get a fourth game.

... yup, that turned out well. :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

Mine went to Morrigan Aensland. I was really getting into the Darkstalkers series at the time, and I figured if I could somehow help Morrigan get into Smash, it would make the series popular enough to get a fourth game.

... yup, that turned out well. :4pacman:
Same, though my hopes got yanked with the fact that Smash is for good boys and girls.

That is all.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
pretty sure I voted for Isaac as I thought it'd be harder to get more 3rd parties that way and I wanted to see an unrepped Nintendo IP that was relatively well known. I'm sure I'd have voted differently if I knew about the Ryu datamine as I'm honestly not a fan of Golden Sun at all otherwise.
i dont see how no level-5 and no namco bandani = nick more likely
because Namco was one of the more commonly speculated 3rd parties that could come next not yet disconfirmed. With them gone and Capcom still apparently standing, it makes a newcomer from their end more likely. I didn't expect any LV5 reps now or ever but hey, can't really hurt either.
I would love to see fan art of this if phoenix gets in.
maybe they'd recreate it for his classic mode end screen or something.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Ok guys, if Phoenix really ends up being the 5th DLC-fighter I really hope that he doesn't get leaked beforehand. Plottwists are my favourite thing in Ace Attorney and we can all agree that we hate spoilers above anything else. At this point I just want the Game Awards to happen and hope that the leakers don't reveal too much more in the next few days. Don't ruin Sakurai's surprise this time, he always gives his best to keep it a secret and I feel bad for him everytime a character gets leaked.

The reveal of Phoenix wouldn't feel the same if everyone already knew it would happen. I really do want to watch all the genuine reaction videos afterwards. Just remember the reveals of Cloud, Bayonetta or Joker – nobody expected them and that is what made them so great and memorable.

Top Bottom