• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
As things are and supposing their sources are legit, I'm expecting either sabi or verge to at least drop a hint a few days before fighters 5 reveal, we could at the very least start using spoilers to discuss who it is/could be to at least save it from those who want to keep the surprise however. Leakers won't really care for either Sakurai or the rest of the Smash team feelings however, and there's nothing that can really be done to stop them (outside of legal action from Nintys end).
It's also worth noting that Cloud was apparently leaked before his reveal, it's just that no one took that post seriously, not unlike Wolf being the last newcomer in Brawl.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Regardless of how things go, a reveal for Phoenix would absolutely be disguised as regular Ace Attorney, methinks. It's what drew Sakurai to the series through one specific trailer for the DS port of the first game (GBA in Japan). I think it was either Sonsa Sonsa or Wyoming Wyoming who brought it up, I'm not sure.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Regardless of how things go, a reveal for Phoenix would absolutely be disguised as regular Ace Attorney, methinks. It's what drew Sakurai to the series through one specific trailer for the DS port of the first game (GBA in Japan). I think it was either Sonsa Sonsa or Wyoming Wyoming who brought it up, I'm not sure.
Yeah, he talked about it on his Famitsu column years ago.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/...ant-to-watch-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-124/

To clarify, he had already played the series before this point; so I don't know if "it's what drew Sakurai to the series" is entirely accurate. Still, based on this I would totally expect Wright's reveal to be a courtroom sketch; could easily be the longest Smash reveal trailer yet too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's pretty much the consensus, yes. Even if it doesn't happen at the VGAs, a bait and switch is exactly the kind of reveal trailer that would work for Phoenix. Especially if they use the older sprites to save on budget.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
why not? level-5 has done well enough for itself
Because I don't. Call it intuition, gut feeling or whatever, but I never saw Layton or a Yokai Watch rep being super likely despite being fairly popular in specific regions (Europe and JP respectively). Don't take as me being particularly against the idea, I'm honestly entirely indifferent towards the prospect of their addition.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Oh and btw, Sakurai said a few days ago:

“Today I also made things in the company, such as a fighter whom hasn’t been known by everybody yet and I came here after the work has ended”

We can conclude two things from this:

1.) The work on the character seems to be far more advanced than on Joker last year – maybe he is even already finished, depending o how you interpret the sentence. Imo It's likely that we will get more than just a teaser trailer at TGA.

2.) "whom hasn't been known by everybody yet" – At first I didn't know what exactly he means by that. But now I think I understand it: He probably wanted to say it's a less known character (also this newssite
https ://www.inverse.com/article/61208-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-fighter-5-geno-masahiro-sakurai speculates this). The 5th DLC-character will probably be a niche character similar to Joker. And you know what this means, right? Phoenix Wright exactly fits this scheme!! Other speculated characters like Sora, Masterchief or First Party Nintendo-characters are by far more popular than Phoenix and everyone knows them.

I don't want to get my hopes too high, but this just might be another indication for Phoenix being the speculated character. What do you think?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, he talked about it on his Famitsu column years ago.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/...ant-to-watch-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-124/

To clarify, he had already played the series before this point; so I don't know if "it's what drew Sakurai to the series" is entirely accurate. Still, based on this I would totally expect Wright's reveal to be a courtroom sketch; could easily be the longest Smash reveal trailer yet too.
Sorry, I meant that it's something he thought was a notable aspect of Ace Attorney and thought that trailers like that were a great idea. That sounds more accurate.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
taking that comment from Sakurai as "next character is an obscure one" feels like reaching to me. That whole comment in general regarding the next fighter feels like the bigget non-news imaginable as we know there's one DLC piece left for the FP to be done and that there'll be more characters after it, so it's pretty obvious they're working on more newcomers.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pretty much. Sakurai saying he's working on the next character is as noteworthy as Ono showing off his Blanka figure or Kamiya openly insulting and/or blocking his fans, business as usual.

It's gotta be the most pointless quotation to overanalyze by far.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
taking that comment from Sakurai as "next character is an obscure one" feels like reaching to me. That whole comment in general regarding the next fighter feels like the bigget non-news imaginable as we know there's one DLC piece left for the FP to be done and that there'll be more characters after it, so it's pretty obvious they're working on more newcomers.
Yeah I would take "not known by everyone yet" to just mean it's an unrevealed character.

To me that's the most logical explanation.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Oh man, I wake up just to find out this thread has been really active with 3 new pages. I'm getting really hype. I'd just wish Sabi or Vergeben would just say who it is already so that way I would know if I should stay being excited for this or not.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh man, I wake up just to find out this thread has been really active with 3 new pages. I'm getting really hype. I'd just wish Sabi or Vergeben would just say who it is already so that way I would know if I should stay being excited for this or not.
They can't do that just yet, Sabi got mobbed by the ninjas for even thinking about leaking a Direct.

You can't get a C&D if you reveal everyone who isn't the next character.

247.gif

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Because I don't. Call it intuition, gut feeling or whatever, but I never saw Layton or a Yokai Watch rep being super likely despite being fairly popular in specific regions (Europe and JP respectively). Don't take as me being particularly against the idea, I'm honestly entirely indifferent towards the prospect of their addition.
Fair enough

Krankees

Smash Ace
We have anime swordsmen, kind of anime gunners, a stand user, and some regular anime fighters. All we need now is an anime lawyer.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
We have anime swordsmen, kind of anime gunners, a stand user, and some regular anime fighters. All we need now is an anime lawyer.
no more anime

and then they proceed to request Sora as if he was some sort of mystic exception to the rule.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
He uses a key, not a sword. Duh.
Isn't it called a Key "Blade"?
Anyway, back on track. Who'd you prefer to voice Nick in FP5? Sam Riegel or Eric Vale? I'd take either personally since I like them both.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I played KH but I still think he counts as anime swordsman.
the swordsmen part only applied for people not wanting more FE characters or Hero (or I guess whining about Cloud at the time), but it very easily ascends to anime in general as to why inclusions like Joker or Terry weren't good (how Megaman and Ryu are somehow exceptions to this rule is beyond me given they're some of the most obvious japanese tropes in existence), besides not wanting the majority of not represented japanese IPs in Smash Bros. Either way, it was meant as a jest as most of the supposed popular picks also have some fairly similar looking characters in Smash roster (Crash with the how many platforming mascots are there in Smash already?), and considering Nintendo is japanese, well what did you expect, to not see any manga styled characters?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Anyway, back on track. Who'd you prefer to voice Nick in FP5? Sam Riegel or Eric Vale? I'd take either personally since I like them both.
Ben Judd will always be the most iconic voice for him so in an ideal world we'd get him, but if not then I have no preference.

Now that I think about it I don't even know what his voice is like in the anime dub.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
You know, I actually thought about this before going to bed last night and proceeded to forget all about it when I woke up
If they wanted to really hit the nostalgia, they'd somehow try to get the DS voice back, but I fully expect the new era Phoenix to fulfill his role. I don't mind much either way, I always felt the 3DS games didn't have good VA because the actors barely had any lines to get accustomed to the characters, I can only imagine they'd do better to do all sorts of screams in Smash if our current reps are anything to go by (well, outside of a certain half dragon).

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'm kind of conflicted on this one. If they couldn't get the original VA, Sam Riegel would probably be the next best choice. But the anime bloopers got me attached to Eric Vale and I wouldn't be mad if he was picked.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I haven't seen the Ace Attorney anime, so I've no idea how Eric Vale sounds as Wright (though I like him as a voice actor, so I imagine him being at least decent in the role). Same thing with Trevor White, his voice actor from Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (I've seen and heard some clips, but not enough to make any concrete judgements).

Sam Riegel would probably be my top choice regardless, though. He pretty much nailed Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, which I think was the first time Phoenix Wright ever had fully-fledged voice acting in a game.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
i dont see how no level-5 and no namco bandani = nick more likely
Less competition means better chances.
Also, with Resident Evil being relegated to Spirits, and Dante potentially being deconfirmed for Fighter 5 by Sabi (really don’t know if she’s credible though), Phoenix might just be the biggest potential Capcom newcomer still in the running.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
This might be a me thing, but I somehow have an easier time believing these leakers saying whose not than if they jumped straight away on who DLC5 is. I guess the latter just feels like it has more room for error in comparison.

Krankees

Smash Ace
This might be a me thing, but I somehow have an easier time believing these leakers saying whose not than if they jumped straight away on who DLC5 is. I guess the latter just feels like it has more room for error in comparison.
I feel the same way but while I want to trust them on this one, I'm gonna stay cautious so I can keep myself in check.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Sam Riegel is the default voice for his game appearances now. So they would go with him (Unless Union shenanigans screw us over again). Which is great, because I think he fits the role and also did UMvC3.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Vale is probably unionized. Sam Riegel would make sense, despite liking Eric's direction better.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
I'm pretty positive Vale isn't unionized. He literally works at Funimation (voice actor, ADR director, script writer and head writer) and Funi doesn't do union shows. Meanwhile...

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Lots of discussion I've missed out on! This thread has gotten a lot faster recently...

I've talked about VAs before, and for the West, I do expect Sam Riegel to be revoicing Nick if he gets in. He's the current mainline VA and voiced Phoenix's appearance in UMvC3. What I also guess will happen is that Phoenix's Japanese voice will actually be Takumi himself, considering his friendship with Sakurai, him being the original voice actor for Phoenix (and Sakurai does like preserving the classic versions of characters!) and, y'know...him being the series creator.

People are hyping up Phoenix for Fighters Pass 5, but honestly, I'm still clinging to that Mii Costume leak, which hasn't really been definitively disproved yet, despite mods attempting to do so. I'm legitimately expecting Geno or Doomguy, and while those may sound like mere dreams, we shouldn't count them out. I've said this before, but Phoenix will probably be a part of additional future character packs, if at all. While anything is possible, Ace Attorney is not the kind of franchise you're expecting at TGA. Anything is possible, though! I might just be stubborn. I'll be excited nonetheless.

A few pages ago we were discussing the 3D models and presentation of Dual Destinies, Spirit of Justice, and Dai Gyakuten Saiban, and how the aesthetic doesn't really reach the kind of presentation the DS games have, and I partly agree with this. I feel like a good idea would be a marriage between both styles: have characters rendered two dimensional while environments are three dimensional. You're getting the best of both worlds: beautiful sprites with beautiful 3D environments to investigate.

If Ace Attorney 7 is to be released, I hope it diverges from the linear visual novel structure the series has always had and increase the possible exploration potential. One of the reasons I loved the Investigations games so much is that the environments were all fully explorable, and you could chat up random NPCs. Increasing this aspect by having a bigger world to explore would be great, though still, I'm not really expecting an open world Ace Attorney game.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Lots of discussion I've missed out on! This thread has gotten a lot faster recently...

I've talked about VAs before, and for the West, I do expect Sam Riegel to be revoicing Nick if he gets in. He's the current mainline VA and voiced Phoenix's appearance in UMvC3. What I also guess will happen is that Phoenix's Japanese voice will actually be Takumi himself, considering his friendship with Sakurai, him being the original voice actor for Phoenix (and Sakurai does like preserving the classic versions of characters!) and, y'know...him being the series creator.
1. I didn't know Shu Takumi voiced Phoenix in the original trilogy, so that's a neat bit of trivia.
2. If Sakurai wanted to preserve classic Phoenix, he would call up Ben Judd to voice him.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
1. I didn't know Shu Takumi voiced Phoenix in the original trilogy, so that's a neat bit of trivia.
2. If Sakurai wanted to preserve classic Phoenix, he would call up Ben Judd to voice him.
Sakurai has no say in English voice actors I don't think. That's entirely on the localization team.

He will care about the Japanese voice actor, but that's it.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I'm pretty positive Vale isn't unionized. He literally works at Funimation (voice actor, ADR director, script writer and head writer) and Funi doesn't do union shows. Meanwhile...
Interesting. If they want Phoenix NoA might try to get Riegel on board uncredited. But if he says no. Then Vale may be his chosen voice.

BTW... I'm expecting another company to get snapped in the next days. It may be Capcom or not.

But for now, when all the evidence is pointing towards you being in Smash:
Phoenix Confident.gif

But also the evidence is pointing towards you getting lazer'd by Galeem to become a spirit:

miles-edgeworth-sprites-2.gif

apollo justice shocked.gif

athena-cykes-shocked.gif

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Oh man, I knew Shu Takumi was Wright's Japanese voice actor in the original trilogy, but if he were to voice Wright in Smash? You could have a match between Phoenix Wright and King Dedede and essentially call it Takumi vs. Sakurai.

People are hyping up Phoenix for Fighters Pass 5, but honestly, I'm still clinging to that Mii Costume leak, which hasn't really been definitively disproved yet, despite mods attempting to do so. I'm legitimately expecting Geno or Doomguy, and while those may sound like mere dreams, we shouldn't count them out. I've said this before, but Phoenix will probably be a part of additional future character packs, if at all. While anything is possible, Ace Attorney is not the kind of franchise you're expecting at TGA. Anything is possible, though! I might just be stubborn. I'll be excited nonetheless.
I don't know how much you trust leakers and insiders like Sabi and Vergeben, but while the Mii Costume leak hasn't been definitively disproven yet, it's been said that, if it really is real, then it has nothing to do with Fighter 5, which would mean Geno and Doom Slayer are post-Pass characters.

Also, while the Ace Attorney series is not the most likely thing you'd see at the Game Awards (I've pointed out that it's bigger than people realize, but it's still not Monster Hunter or Resident Evil levels of big)... maybe that could actually work in its favor? Nobody expected Joker to be revealed for Smash last year, so maybe Ace Attorney not being likely as Game Awards material could mean, just maybe...

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how much you trust leakers and insiders like Sabi and Vergeben, but while the Mii Costume leak hasn't been definitively disproven yet, it's been said that, if it really is real, then it has nothing to do with Fighter 5, which would mean Geno and Doom Slayer are post-Pass characters.
Again, the fact that Sabi and Vergeben haven't outright deconfirmed Capcom, even though they're among the top-speculated companies now is quite suspect.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Wow, I never watched the anime but Eric Vale fits pretty great! And that clip, Phoenix: "We used to do some pretty gay stuff together-" Squeaky Maya: "He's a prosecutor" pwshh

I'd personally have someone like him do a lot of the voices, like on the ledge, taunts, star KO, but then for F-Smash Objection, reuse the Ben Judd voiceclip that Capcom already has. It could be a contract where you pay Ben Judd again or it may have been one of those contracts where Capcom just owns that voiceclip and can use it how they want, either way, reusing that voiceclip would be ideal, but if someone else brings a new Objection ay thats fine too no biggie!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
This is mostly due to hearsay about what sabi and verge say, and to be fair, if we can trust them for no Namco newcomers, I think it's fair to trust them on no Geno or Doomslayer either (but if you see no reason to believe their words that's fair, it's not like their track record is perfect to consider them foolproof).
We've seen good mods before, and now that it's been proven mii costumes can be modded in Ultimate contrary to earlier statements on the matter, I really wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be an elaborate fake. Might be me just really not being interested in said characters and hoping for something else, but I also accepted a DQ rep against all my desires long before E3, and it's not like I find Geno or Doomslayer to be bad additions anyhow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom