• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I feel so petty for believing in this "color theory" thing haha, but just that like! The last two probably have blue and orange backgrounds... I was more like, they could be anything, brown and white, we don't know, buuut, the fact that someone said uhh...oh shoot...it sounded so smart...chromatic...well! Blue and Yellow make Green, Red and Yellow make orange, stuff like that! All the colors so far are primary or a mix of two primaries! So that puts me over the edge where like...okay I guess blue and orange really dooo make the mooost sense... Doesn't hurt Phoenix's chances! Everyone so far has some of their background color on them, Banjo's yellow pants, Piranha's stem, so the last two probably wear at least a bit of blue or orange... Probably! Not definitely!

Blue could definitely be Phoenix or uh.......mm......oh yeah, Geno! He still has a shot sorta though I wouldn't tell his fans that, probably best to give up hope and get pleasantly surprised, but technically, yeah, he couuuld still make it. Otherwise, wow, yeah, uhh, maybe Jill with her old beret and stuff maybe? I can't remember many others that would be competition for Phoenix...

Orange could be Layton, Crash, and even Sora has some orange on him.

Ugh, I feel so lame for reading into colors this much haha, but, I think yeah, the last two are probably blue and orange! And that blue is prooobably Phoenix I think...

Ugh, even if that's the case we still have a few months before any news on the next two... Hero will be fun in the meantime!

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I feel so petty for believing in this "color theory" thing haha, but just that like! The last two probably have blue and orange backgrounds... I was more like, they could be anything, brown and white, we don't know, buuut, the fact that someone said uhh...oh shoot...it sounded so smart...chromatic...well! Blue and Yellow make Green, Red and Yellow make orange, stuff like that! All the colors so far are primary or a mix of two primaries! So that puts me over the edge where like...okay I guess blue and orange really dooo make the mooost sense... Doesn't hurt Phoenix's chances! Everyone so far has some of their background color on them, Banjo's yellow pants, Piranha's stem, so the last two probably wear at least a bit of blue or orange... Probably! Not definitely!

Blue could definitely be Phoenix or uh.......mm......oh yeah, Geno! He still has a shot sorta though I wouldn't tell his fans that, probably best to give up hope and get pleasantly surprised, but technically, yeah, he couuuld still make it. Otherwise, wow, yeah, uhh, maybe Jill with her old beret and stuff maybe? I can't remember many others that would be competition for Phoenix...

Orange could be Layton, Crash, and even Sora has some orange on him.

Ugh, I feel so lame for reading into colors this much haha, but, I think yeah, the last two are probably blue and orange! And that blue is prooobably Phoenix I think...

Ugh, even if that's the case we still have a few months before any news on the next two... Hero will be fun in the meantime!
If you want to talk about Resident Evil characters with blue on them... there is the unfortunate fact of Leon Kennedy’s Resident Evil 2 police uniform, AKA the outfit he wore for his most recent appearance. He would certainly fit the bill for a character for whose background blue might be used.

You could argue that they’d more likely use his RE4 look as a default costume, though, given that that’s the game with the closest Nintendo association, but with no evidence either way, it’s hard to be sure.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Quick question to all of my Wrightbros out there - just what could be his Final Smash?

I know people want something like the Nightmare Judge from Phoenix's nightmare, or maybe he just pulls in the opponent into the courtroom and says "objection!" a lot, but I always felt like that was kind of lame and that he could have something lifted from the games as a big climactic attack instead.
What's a big climatic event that Phoenix pulls off?

Why, Thought Route/Revisualization of course!
It's always at the end of cases before the truth is fully revealed (at least since Dual Destinies). Imagine this: Phoenix points towards an opponent, ensaring them for a brief second, and then the camera zooms onto his head, where he is deep in thought. A red laser beam glides pasts his forehead, and shoots through blue speedlines. Big black bolded phrases echo through, and rapidly smack the opponent about the truth of their crimes, eventually sending them flying. It might be a tall order, but perhaps these indicting words might change based off of the character(s) being attacked? If the words sound too clunky, perhaps the red laser beam of truth can just attack them instead.

If Edgeworth gets in as an echo, this could probably be reskinned with Logic Chess instead; have Edgey take the victims into the patented Chess Dimension™, where a set of chess pieces are flung at the opponent for massive damage.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
To me, the best possible idea for a final smash is either an objection storm as Sonsa suggested or my personal pick, the Thought Route. My first post in this thread detailed how I'd want it to go down. The other option is more spoilery but either the Double Objection from TnT or Triple Objection from DD would be great.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Quick question to all of my Wrightbros out there - just what could be his Final Smash?

I know people want something like the Nightmare Judge from Phoenix's nightmare, or maybe he just pulls in the opponent into the courtroom and says "objection!" a lot, but I always felt like that was kind of lame and that he could have something lifted from the games as a big climactic attack instead.
What's a big climatic event that Phoenix pulls off?

Why, Thought Route/Revisualization of course!
It's always at the end of cases before the truth is fully revealed (at least since Dual Destinies). Imagine this: Phoenix points towards an opponent, ensaring them for a brief second, and then the camera zooms onto his head, where he is deep in thought. A red laser beam glides pasts his forehead, and shoots through blue speedlines. Big black bolded phrases echo through, and rapidly smack the opponent about the truth of their crimes, eventually sending them flying. It might be a tall order, but perhaps these indicting words might change based off of the character(s) being attacked? If the words sound too clunky, perhaps the red laser beam of truth can just attack them instead.

If Edgeworth gets in as an echo, this could probably be reskinned with Logic Chess instead; have Edgey take the victims into the patented Chess Dimension™, where a set of chess pieces are flung at the opponent for massive damage.
Since it's one of the best additions of Dual Destinies I'm all for it. Hell, they could even make it so it's playable and you have to recall stuff about the character to damage them - make it somewhat playable.

Though it probably goes against the current design for Final Smashes. As much as I hate it, we'll probably get a cutscene FS.

Fry Rice

Smash Rookie
I'm a 100% convinced that #4 will be Phoenix. But there's that feeling inside me that worries that the rep (if we even get one from Capcom) will be Leon or Jill. I honestly hope that he gets revealed for Smash alongside AA7.
[I said that a lot lol]

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I just really hope we get Phoenix instead of a Resident Evil rep, mostly because I don't really care about RE at all and right now in the fighter's pass there's only one character that I actually care about and that is Banjo-Kazooie. Atleast Joker made up for it from coming from a pretty great and stylish game. Ofcourse I'll be happy for all the RE fans that got what they want, I just wish we're getting Phoenix after all. I also think he'd be more original then a RE rep, because Phoenix comes from a genre that isn't really represented in Smash at all, unlike RE which seems to be shooter kind of horror game (please don't get mad at me never played a RE game before lol).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Phoenix is being rerated in the Rate Their Chances thread, come show your support.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Seconded on the support list, definitely throw me on there if it’s still being updated. At this point Phoenix is my #1, no questions asked.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I don't think the support list is being updated anymore, judging by when the original post was last edited, but if it is and I just haven't realized, throw me in there. Wright is my #1 actually possible contender, and an Undertale rep is my #1 contender that probably won't happen for a long time due to a multitude of reasons.

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Same here! Phoenix is my most wanted, too.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Moydow has passed the torch to me as the new owner of this thread. I'll be working on tweaking it a bit and updating the support list if that's achievable.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Moydow has passed the torch to me as the new owner of this thread. I'll be working on tweaking it a bit and updating the support list if that's achievable.
Huh, you weren't already? Could have sworn you were.

Well, congratulations, New Leader! May your reign be short (because Phoenix gets in soon).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Great news!

Also just for fun I found my first post in this thread which is from shortly after getting back into the Smash fandom after Ultimate's announcement. Yes I'm still this excited.

This is it, my number one most-wanted, my main man Phoenix Wright. Forgive me if I go a little crazy with the predictions and wishing here, but if there's one real gap in the Smash roster in my eyes it's that he's not in yet. He was one of the biggest DS all stars, an incredible character with a series that's almost never had a bad game, and on a personal level my second longest-running fandom has been Ace Attorney. I jumped on when JFA was released and never looked back.

His costumes should be Modern (DD/SOJ design), Classic (Original trilogy design), Hobo Nick, Feenie, and then a few different colored variants of Modern and Classic to evoke other characters like Mia, Ray, Tigre, etc.

Final Smash: Thought Route
Phoenix closes his eyes and it zooms in on him and takes you to the thought route from Dual Destinies/Spirit of Justice. Portraits of the competitors in the match get connected with the red line and Phoenix is joined by Apollo and Athena who do a huge triple objection!

It'd be especially fun if Classic and Feenie changed them to Mia and Gregory!

Maya, Ema, and maybe even a few others should cameo during some of his moves, but I won't complain if it's only Maya for the old school fans. Just as long as we get plenty of Athena and Apollo - a Mood Matrix move would be great!

Echo fighter should be Edgeworth, no question. His cameos during his thought route could be Franziska and Godot, with his Modern outfit being joined by Klavier and Blackquill. Kay Faraday could be his assistant, or Gumshoe. I'd kill for Ray or Sebastian but I'm being semi-realistic here. His outfits would be Modern, Classic, Young (3-4/AAI-3) and various prosecutor colors, like Nahyuta.

I want to believe this is finally the year it'll happen. At least give us some music and an assist trophy for Phoenix! I could go on and on about what I'd stuff his moveset with but then this post would be several pages long.

Basically...I support.
September, wow. Time flies!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Updated the support list as much as I could, added media sources, and gave some more background to the opening post. Moydow did an excellent job with the initial OP, so I saw no reason to scrap it entirely.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Yup.

It's gonna be a long summer.

View attachment 228532
Honestly red flags should go up the second you hear that Undertale and Waluigi are going to be the next two slots. Don't know why that one is being given the time of day. But the female that looks like she is from a fighting game is pretty vague. Since there are a lot of female game characters that would fit right into a fighting game (it doesn't say the character is from a fighting game. Just that it looks like it.). Maya looks like you can stick her in one and she would fit fine.
c18.jpg

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Updated the support list as much as I could, added media sources, and gave some more background to the opening post. Moydow did an excellent job with the initial OP, so I saw no reason to scrap it entirely.
If it's okay with you, could you please add my The Case for Phoenix Wright article somewhere in the OP? I think it would a great way for people to see reasons on why he could or could not be added to the game. If you don;'t want to add it, I understand. Maybe a section for fan trailers would be cool too, I've seen some great ones that people have made. Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lsU8cAWXpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzsAvdjmQgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-Gan2DOkM

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The two leaks are fun but not particularly credible. The Frisk/Waluigi one started as "an Undertale rep confirmed through my Amiibo source" and spiraled into a weird mess involving edited DMs. The fighting female leak has potential because the guy made a lot of major predictions in the past but it's too vague to be anything but fun to speculate about.

I'd put much more stock into color theory of all things, or the idea that Nintendo wants new demographics to try Smash.

So you know, I don't seem to be on it despite being around for a fair amount of time. It'd be cool if I could get added to the list.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly red flags should go up the second you hear that Undertale and Waluigi are going to be the next two slots. Don't know why that one is being given the time of day. But the female that looks like she is from a fighting game is pretty vague. Since there are a lot of female game characters that would fit right into a fighting game (it doesn't say the character is from a fighting game. Just that it looks like it.). Maya looks like you can stick her in one and she would fit fine.
View attachment 228533
People are bored and forget they have hobbies besides talking on here, that's why (well, that and inkling of hope for Waluigi fans). It's like watching a car wreck in slow motion. :4pacman:

That being said, the female fighter leak's currently being ripped apart because the leaker is really odd about how they somehow can't clearly describe a character they don't know about.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, both of those leaks are pretty much tripe as far as I'm concerned, failing additional evidence. The Waluigi/Frisk one is laughable, not the least because I have absolutely zero expectation that any character who's been Assist Trophy'd has a snowball's chance in hell of being DLC.

The "female fighting-game character" one is, as just mentioned, quickly running short of credibility, but I mean... at least it would mean one female fighter this pass, and it doesn't discount Phoenix? I'd gladly take it, if only there was anything about it whatsoever to discuss.

I just want someone we know is credible to make a little bit of noise about Phoenix, so I can foolishly get my hopes up for a few months from now.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
In a sense that's the bad thing to having a clean slate. People can make anything sound believable.

I listened a bit to the SourceGaming video about the Paragon leak (Frisk, Waluigi). They say he "received a cease and desist" from Nintendo which is bonkers to me. Nintendo wouldn't go to a YouTuber's discord server to do that or bother with it, surely.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've been a big fan of Ace Attorney since 2006, and have played every single game that got released in the West. I enjoy the series and its characters and while it would be nifty to see him, I have some doubts over Capcom getting any additional reps, especially given all the content for Street Fighter and Megaman. Phoenix would be interesting if they could make his moveset function differently than Ultimate MVC3 at least.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I've been a big fan of Ace Attorney since 2006, and have played every single game that got released in the West. I enjoy the series and its characters and while it would be nifty to see him, I have some doubts over Capcom getting any additional reps, especially given all the content for Street Fighter and Megaman. Phoenix would be interesting if they could make his moveset function differently than Ultimate MVC3 at least.
All that says to me is that Capcom are easy to work with. A plus.

Nintendo and Sakurai don't care about "company reps". Capcom have a lot of IPs that would sell in Smash, it would be a shame to deny them for an arbitrary reason.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
In a sense that's the bad thing to having a clean slate. People can make anything sound believable.

I listened a bit to the SourceGaming video about the Paragon leak (Frisk, Waluigi). They say he "received a cease and desist" from Nintendo which is bonkers to me. Nintendo wouldn't go to a YouTuber's discord server to do that or bother with it, surely.
Is any evidence that he received such a C&D actually presented in that video, though? I mean, anyone can say they were threatened with legal action, after all.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Oh boy, the rumor mills are starting up again? I haven't read the leak myself, I don't like getting involved that business because it's often messy, drums up backlash when the characters people are "sure are going to get in" end up not being there, and what have you. I don't know about the female fighting game character rep but from what I've read from here that sounds flimsy but:

Waluigi ain't getting in because he's an assist trophy, plain and simple. Having a character be a boss and an assist trophy is one thing, but I don't think that's going to extend to becoming playable. Not the biggest Waluigi fan, but I'd gladly be proven wrong if Waluigi does end up being a fighter despite his status as already being an assist trophy.

An Undertale rep is not likely for a multitude of reasons (coming from the guy who really wants one but knows its not happening for a long while, if ever). The face of indie games right now, Shovel Knight, just got in as an Assist Trophy, and some characters from his series got a couple spirits. Nothing playable. If that's all Shovel Knight got, an indie game that, while a breakout hit that got ported to Switch and some nice attention from Nintendo when that did happen, was made by a mostly one man team, far smaller than the team the folks at Yacht Club Games has going on has not much of a chance to get a playable rep (although that may be changing with Deltarune in the works, if Toby is getting a team to help development on that game go faster, but my point still stands).

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Just thought of something both interesting and really funny: what if Phoenix had a rapid jab, but it was actually just a faster version of this?

I figure some of his normals would use paperwork, so why not go all out?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Just thought of something both interesting and really funny: what if Phoenix had a rapid jab, but it was actually just a faster version of this?

I can see that being a really funny grab. Just grabbing an opponent and backhand slapping them rapidly.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I can see that being a really funny grab. Just grabbing an opponent and backhand slapping them rapidly.
Hmm, if Maya grabs the opponent with the Magatama/Psyche-Lock (instead of Phoenix using it), that leaves Phoenix free to do that, I suppose. Kinda like a Peach/Toad thing, but the other way around. So Maya keeps the person in place while Phoenix slaps the paperwork in their face. Literally slaps it in their face.

See, this kind of thing is why Maya should be part of Nick's moveset! She adds not only to his character, but also so many moveset options...

It's at times like this that I realize I actually would've liked Phoenix less in UMvC3 if Maya wasn't there with him.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

thats always how i pictured his jab

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Phoenix does get in, would Edgeworth be an alternate character skin or would it be more likely to be Apollo?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
That would be hilarious. Another hilarious idea is his little finger waggle but it gets faster.

Phoenix is such a fun idea because of how all the animations can make wacky moves, like how WFT does pullups on the ledge.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Haha, I like all this speculative talk about Wright's potential attack animations. I really hope his character, if in Smash, would go all in with all kinds impractical weapons/maneuvers for attacks. I don't know much of UMvC3 Wright, but I believe one of his aerials is him sneezing, and I feel like wacky, ineffective things like that would give him lots of flavor. Maybe his down tilt could be his signature desk slam, with a spontaneously appearing/disappearing bench to match, which creates a shockwave that knocks people into the air?

If Phoenix does get in, would Edgeworth be an alternate character skin or would it be more likely to be Apollo?
I'd personally rather have these references in the forms of palette swap costumes, like how Luigi references Waluigi with purple clothes, but nothing further. Animations that would fit Wright's character wouldn't work as well if you model swapped Edgeworth or Apollo onto them imo.

Top Bottom