• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
it was the opposite for me, for me it felt like this had to be Phoenix if the next one is the big E3 one and the last one is well the last one, I don't think Phoenix can carry either of those he is too niche imo
I mean, Palutena was an E3 reveal in 2014, and I can assure you Ace Attorney is definitely more well known that Kid Icarus.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Hey, I'll give us one thing: Famicom Detective Club being localized is awesome. I don't know if you've played those games, but you can definitely tell they inspired Ace Attorney in a big way. I highly recommend picking up these remakes for some good quality VN mystery solving!
The price is seriously putting me off, but I am thinking about it. Unfortunately being Nintendo 1st Party a sale is unlikely
It's hard to justify £50 for two visual novels. Especially considering DGS definately is still happening.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hey, I'll give us one thing: Famicom Detective Club being localized is awesome. I don't know if you've played those games, but you can definitely tell they inspired Ace Attorney in a big way. I highly recommend picking up these remakes for some good quality VN mystery solving!
that explains why im so keen to get them

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The price is seriously putting me off, but I am thinking about it. Unfortunately being Nintendo 1st Party a sale is unlikely
It's hard to justify £50 for two visual novels. Especially considering DGS definately is still happening.
Well, I'd then recommend getting The Girl Who Stands Behind. That way you get one you know is good, at least, and at a lower price than a normal full game.

I understand though, money is tight.

So, we thinking DGS will be at Tokyo Game Show?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
probably my favorite part of the direct tbh, I'm not sure if I'll pick it up but it's cool to see Nintendo give a shot to localizing one of their more obscure franchises.
As for an official announcement for DGS, I think it'll happen before TGS, that sounds more like a time to announce the next entry in the franchise, and even then I won't hold my breath for that to happen this year.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Well, I'd then recommend getting The Girl Who Stands Behind. That way you get one you know is good, at least, and at a lower price than a normal full game.

I understand though, money is tight.

So, we thinking DGS will be at Tokyo Game Show?
They're not selling them seperately in the UK sadly. (at least I don't think so)
I rather assumed that DGS will have released before TGS, it was supposed to be 2nd quarter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I know I will. I owe it to myself to finally acquire a series that came out close to my birth year (not to mention that I already got Steins;Gate on Switch from the same devs).

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
does it need to be at one?
It doesn't, but it would help if there was an obvious one.
Well, here's a list of the video game related events that will happen trough 2021, if it helps
I can't see Capcom showing up at any of the ones listed for April so I guess it'll just be a trailer drop.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We'll see the Great Ace Attorney games in the next month or two, maybe at E3 if they want us to wait a while longer

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't, but it would help if there was an obvious one.

I can't see Capcom showing up at any of the ones listed for April so I guess it'll just be a trailer drop.
Hold on a minute...could it be in an upcoming Direct? Let's say that they're back on the old Direct schedule for a minute, that would mean the next likely Direct from February occurs in April.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
The good thing about Phoenix is, I feel like he has a bonus last chance no other fighter does. Even when the last fighter pass is officially done, having him jump in with an objection for a last second turnabout bonus fighter would be so perfectly fitting, I think it's a very real possibility Nintendo would do it.
Let's hope he gets his own Challenger Pack, too, or else the lack of music will become as criminal as the DL-6 and IS-7 incidents combined.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Hold on a minute...could it be in an upcoming Direct? Let's say that they're back on the old Direct schedule for a minute, that would mean the next likely Direct from February occurs in April.
Well maybe the old old direct, but the 2019 had them less frequently.
I suppose we could get a mini, they sometimes do that at that time for the stuff that isn't quite E3 caliber (I'm not saying Ace Attorney isn't E3 caliber)

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Personally, im banking on 11 being another first party, so I do feel like Phoenix's shot is 10. However I do feel pretty confident in a capcom rep being 10.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The good thing about Phoenix is, I feel like he has a bonus last chance no other fighter does. Even when the last fighter pass is officially done, having him jump in with an objection for a last second turnabout bonus fighter would be so perfectly fitting, I think it's a very real possibility Nintendo would do it.
Personally, the more logical objection I see would be him kicking off Fighters Pass 3 as an early bird announcement as its first fighter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well maybe the old old direct, but the 2019 had them less frequently.
I suppose we could get a mini, they sometimes do that at that time for the stuff that isn't quite E3 caliber (I'm not saying Ace Attorney isn't E3 caliber)
Seeing as Partner Showcases feature third-party games, it would have fit in those, but I'm not sure if that format is coming back this year.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think 1st party reps are done for this pass with Pyra and Mythra. I think our last two characters are going to be 3rd party choices

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think 1st party reps are done for this pass with Pyra and Mythra. I think our last two characters are going to be 3rd party choices
probably asking for Nintendo to prove me wrong but with the currently known release schedule for this year the only 1st party I could see happening this pass is another Pokemon.
Who though, most 1st party options have been spirited?
I don't think being spirited matters anymore post Min-Min and Pyra, but it's moreso than all the current 1st parties DLC have been characters from recent games (barring the veterans from Sm4sh). It's a pattern that could be broken and all, but it makes you wonder how much they care to add some of their older characters with decent popularity as DLC, like Dixie or Bandana Dee.
I'm not making any callouts on whether the last fighters will be 3rd party or not as the end of the last pass proved things don't have to end with a bang, but I'm more inclined to believe more western reps isn't looking like a likely outcome at the moment.
And I certainly don't believe another Capcom rep is as sure to happen as I did during the end of the first fighters pass haha, although I do think we're likelier to see more guests from currently represented companies than a new face from someone like Koei, Level 5, ArcSys, Falcom, etc.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
probably asking for Nintendo to prove me wrong but with the currently known release schedule for this year the only 1st party I could see happening this pass is another Pokemon.

I don't think being spirited matters anymore post Min-Min and Pyra, but it's moreso than all the current 1st parties DLC have been characters from recent games (barring the veterans from Sm4sh). It's a pattern that could be broken and all, but it makes you wonder how much they care to add some of their older characters with decent popularity as DLC, like Dixie or Bandana Dee.
I'm not making any callouts on whether the last fighters will be 3rd party or not as the end of the last pass proved things don't have to end with a bang, but I'm more inclined to believe more western reps isn't looking like a likely outcome at the moment.
And I certainly don't believe another Capcom rep is as sure to happen as I did during the end of the first fighters pass haha, although I do think we're likelier to see more guests from currently represented companies than a new face from someone like Koei, Level 5, ArcSys, Falcom, etc.
Yeah but those spirits were in base game. The Spirit events would have occured when the pass was being planned. Why add spirits now if you knew you were going to add a fighter from that game later?

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
The next Sakurai Presents will be interesting. Will the Monster Hunter Mii-Costumes return? If yes, that's very bad... if no, then the chances look really good that the next fighter will be a capcom rep (hopefully Phoenix). And will the Lloyd Irving costume show up? There might be Mii costume deconfirms again. Hopefully Phoenix survives the next wave.

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
The next Sakurai Presents will be interesting. Will the Monster Hunter Mii-Costumes return? If yes, that's very bad... if no, then the chances look really good that the next fighter will be a capcom rep (hopefully Phoenix). And will the Lloyd Irving costume show up? There might be Mii costume deconfirms again. Hopefully Phoenix survives the next wave.
honestly that is the only reason, I am gonna watch the Sakurai presents for Pyra and Mythra, that and for Sakurai, but I just have no interest in the new fighter even less than Byleth and Min Min

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
honestly that is the only reason, I am gonna watch the Sakurai presents for Pyra and Mythra, that and for Sakurai, but I just have no interest in the new fighter even less than Byleth and Min Min
not a fan of 1st parties of just those four specifically?

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix and Lloyd are both of my most wanted characters right now so the fact this Presents could be bad for either/both makes me nervous. I do think Lloyd is most likely coming as a mii this wave if he isn't in, MH I'm not so sure about.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Eh I don't think the MH costumes coming back now mean anything negative for Phoenix, so many other Capcom costumes dropped before with no new character from them that I don't think they mean much for his chances. If anything, you could say that's more bad news for a MH rep as you'd definitely think they'd hold them off for whenever their character would drop if that's in the cards.
Yeah but those spirits were in base game. The Spirit events would have occured when the pass was being planned. Why add spirits now if you knew you were going to add a fighter from that game later?
I think you lost me a bit here, we're just talking about post release spirits likely being out? If so I agree.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly both, generally lean more towards third party characters but those 4 imo are just very uninteresting to me, would have prefered a three houses leader over byleth for example, or Max Brass over Min Min
well im with you on two out of three of the house leaders

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
MH costumes with Pyra would probably be a good thing for Phoenix's chances, since it's basically a deconfirm for one of his big competitors as a Capcom rep. Yes, it could make sense to save them for a Capcom fighter, but Capcom has so many popular characters that they could easily release some Mii costumes now and still have plenty more to go with their own fighter.

That would just leave... all the other very popular Capcom characters to compete with. So admittedly, not a huge boost.

Last edited:

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
I still have a slight suspicion that MH costumes wouldn't necessarily mean the death of them as a fighter since they could just wear different armour than the costumes, but some discussion in the main speculation thread brought up the good point that it wouldn't make much sense to release armour costumes in a separate Challenger Pack since an MH fighter would need a lot of good MH costumes with them.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
but some discussion in the main speculation thread brought up the good point that it wouldn't make much sense to release armour costumes in a separate Challenger Pack since an MH fighter would need a lot of good MH costumes with them.
Yeah, this is the angle where I see the armours coming back now as being a slight issue for a MH rep. It's not so much that they disconfirm the character by being the usual representation for them, but rather the fact it'd be odd if they don't hold them back until the hunter itself drops (like it happened with the Chocobo hat). Probably not an outright killer for the hunter chances, but definitely a blow against it.

Top Bottom