• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
New Ace Attorney stage performance in May fellas 😎

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm nervous because if the Monster Hunter costumes come back, I'm pretty sure that means that's it for a Capcom rep's chances. But if they don't get announced, Monster Hunter is strongly in the running! It's not looking good for our boy in blue, but of course we gotta hold out hope.

A Phoenix Mii Brawler would be pretty funny, though, I can't lie.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm nervous because if the Monster Hunter costumes come back, I'm pretty sure that means that's it for a Capcom rep's chances. But if they don't get announced, Monster Hunter is strongly in the running! It's not looking good for our boy in blue, but of course we gotta hold out hope.

A Phoenix Mii Brawler would be pretty funny, though, I can't lie.
Phoenix Wright beating up Ridley, Sephiroth or Pichu with his own bare hands would be funny, not gonna lie.

I hope the MH costumes do not come back. Otherwise, yeah, I think that would not be a good sign for a Capcom rep, which would be kinda disappointing to me. At this point I'd take any Capcom character even if I have my preferences, because I would be kinda sad and surprised to see not even one Capcom fighter after 11 DLC packs.

MattX20

Smash Hero
There are only 2 options for which Mii Fighter costumes will return in wave 9: either the Monster Hunter armor sets or Lloyd. No matter which shows up, it's all but effectively a death knell for that company in Smash speculation for the remaining 2 spots

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
putting asides whether the MH costumes would be the death nail for a Capcom rep during this pass or not, I wonder if Phoenix would "fit" as a mii costume reveal with the XB characters? I don't think that ever mattered much, but hey. I definitely see Lloyd's mii costume dropping now though, alongside with maybe a KOS-MOS costume.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
1st party characters' mii costumes tend to be more on the random side, so Phoenix could happen. I don't think the Monster Hunter armours will return yet (Even if we get a Monster Hunter I do think they will come back eventually) though, this definately feels like Lloyd's time.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah, I disagree that MH costumes here = no Capcom rep confirmed. As I've said before, Capcom has a huge roster of characters to draw from. More than enough to make some Mii costumes now and still have plenty to go with their own rep.
Nothings guaranteed, but all previous Smash 4 costumes came back with a character from the same company, if we got a character from said company. MH appearing here with only 2 slots left to follow is pretty damning for any Capcom character's chances unless we get a FP3 reveal.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I discussed this with some friends a little while ago but I had a thought I wanted to mention here. Capcom has a bit of an obsession with the Trilogy and don't seem to be too happy with the writing direction Apollo Justice and onward (SoJ was definitely the most divisive game and it was the most recent). They re-release the Trilogy constantly all of the marketing uses just Trilogy characters (and Apollo since he's popular in Japan), Spirit of Justice was full of Trilogy references, etc. They even advertise new games with the Trilogy! The Trilogy got an anime adaptation to promote the 3DS games, along with Phoenix and a medley of music from the Trilogy as a playable track in Taiko no Tatsujin: Dokodon! Mystery Adventure (and said content is still in the game's rerelease in the Rhythmic Adventure Pack, which was released just a few months ago).

And this kinda reminded me of something, another franchise which recently got a new game but whose revival revolves around their original trilogy...

Crash Bandicoot

It's About Time basically retcons away Wrath of Cortex through Mind over Mutant, citing it as an alternate continuity (though Nitro Fueled LOVES using post Trilogy characters, much like Apollo and sometimes Klavier in Capcom's marketing). Now, given all of these factors, do you think Capcom will do the same thing with Ace Attorney? Northward: Turnabout Express in the anime showed that good Trilogy-styled cases could still be written. Do you think Capcom will pull a Crash 4 with the franchise going forward or do you think they'll stick with what they have? Furthermore, how would you feel about this? Would you want this to happen or would you keep the current timeline?

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah I don't think that would happen. Maybe AA4/5/6 are a bit more divisive thant the original games, but that's it. I personally prefer AA5 and 6 over AA1 and 2, by the way.

It's true that Capcom promotes more the original games, but I strongly doubt it's because they're better, they usually go with the original games because they're the most well known entries of the series and the most popular ones.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah I don't think that would happen. Maybe AA4/5/6 are a bit more divisive thant the original games, but that's it. I personally prefer AA5 and 6 over AA1 and 2, by the way.

It's true that Capcom promotes more the original games, but I strongly doubt it's because they're better, they usually go with the original games because they're the most well known entries of the series and the most popular ones.
I can't think of any particular reasons why, but I personally didn't enjoy Spirit of Justice as much as some other games. 3/4/5 are definitely the best ones though.

But yeah, I can't see them rebooting the series with completely new characters. The characters are a big reason people like the games, and I don't think the AA attorney formula has gotten stale to the point where it needs one. Reboots often have negative reception for this reason, despite the quality of the reboot (DmC and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin come to mind)

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Much as I don't like the post GBA games, rebooting the games in that manner just wouldn't feel right. I feel the best thing they could do right now is focus on an entire new cast of characters and let the Phoenix crew take a break. I know that's not always received warmly, but I feel there's just not much they can do with the dude anymore as the protagonist.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I can't think of any particular reasons why, but I personally didn't enjoy Spirit of Justice as much as some other games. 3/4/5 are definitely the best ones though.

But yeah, I can't see them rebooting the series with completely new characters. The characters are a big reason people like the games, and I don't think the AA attorney formula has gotten stale to the point where it needs one. Reboots often have negative reception for this reason, despite the quality of the reboot (DmC and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin come to mind)
Yeah, I don't see any reason for a reboot at this point to be honest. If they wanna do Ace Attorney games with a different cast and setting, the best way to approach that would be a spin-off. That would be the safest approach.

I personally wouldn't like if they got rid of Phoenix, Apollo and company for mainline games. I just want more silly and fun stories with them.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I personally wouldn't like if they got rid of Phoenix, Apollo and company for mainline games. I just want more silly and fun stories with them.
When I mentioned that they'd do a soft reboot, I didn't mean that they'd scrap the main cast for a new one. I meant that they'd erase everything after Trials and Tribulations, keeping the main cast of the Trilogy + Apollo if they wanted, much like what Crash 4 did with everything after Warped.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh, yeah, I guess a Crash 4 style uhh reboot-sequel thingie is possible... but... well I can answer how I'd feel first and it would be pretty sad! Apollo and Trucy and Athena and so many lovable characters and their stories erased and for what? I love the trilogy too, I don't want Phoenix or Maya or Edgeworth to be gone or anything, but when Shu said their stories were pretty much done, like, yeah, agreed...! I'm very satisfied with the trilogy, but to go further with that cast... uhhhh... I mean yeah it's possible but it feels way more natural to cap it there and redirect the focus to fresh faces like Apollo and Trucy who have their own stories...!

Ace Attorney 4, Apollo Justice, is like...one of my favorites, even though I don't care much about half its cases, case 2 and 3! To imagine an alternate timeline where Phoenix never meets Apollo or Trucy breaks my heart...

I think where there's more uhh leeway (never spelled that out before haha) is maybe an alternate timeline after 4? I like Dual Destinies overall, I really like the story, the twist, Athena, Blackquill, I like Case 3 and 5 a lot, the rest are alright, but it definitely felt awkward...! Some of the 3D models looked a bit off and I don't mean to be picky, I keep in mind how hard it must have been, and overall things look great, but still...gatta be honest, zooming out when the gallery talks I always look at Blackquill's stiff arms, Apollo's face is nearly as charming as it used to be, ahh... And the writing felt more... hmm... not "kiddy" but like... "unnatural"? No... I'm not sure... It also felt like woah, we're bring Phoenix back immediately AND introducing a NEW lawyer again, really not giving Apollo a lot of spotlight...! I remember when they revealed Apollo in a magazine with his new outfit and thinking he looked really cool but now considering him a "side character"... I like how Case 5 feels with him doing his own thing, they did something really interesting, and overall, it's okay, Apollo's first game didn't have that many loose ends that needed tying up. I know there's two big things, but like, I don't personally need one of them ever solved and the other thing would feel weird to see on screen haha

Anyway, SoJ really polished things up but still felt kinda weird...the new country made for more moments that felt, like...toooo goofy? But Apollo definitely got more focus and Athena still gets a nice little episode so she isn't totally abandoned, all while juggling Phoenix reuniting with someone too! It's a bit messy but I like it! But even still, going back and moving on from 4 ignoring 5 and 6 would feel bad too, I like Athena, I like Blackquill, I like so many cases, I like the growth, I like how the series ended off so far...

So like...if anything. I guess I'd rather umm...like an alternate universe or something. Starting completely fresh... but I'd only prefer that to an alternate timeline. I'm also okay with doing a complete "what-if" game of alternate timeline non-canon cases, to get weird combos like Athena vs Godot in a case where Phoenix was killed or something, but while it's been a bit messy and this or that should have gotten more focus...I don't think they've made any tremendous mistakes that need undoing. I'm pretty happy where the series is and I'd like to see it keep building upon itself and I can think of a couple of ways they could do that.

That's all how I feel! What I think Capcom might want to dooo...ummm...well every game it seems a bit harder and harder to catch everyone up to speed... they do their best to reintroduce everyone if this is your first game and they don't tend to spoil big twists of other games you may not have played yet... They also work hard to weave in a pile of past characters that grows and grows, but they have to introduce new stuff so it doesn't get stale or redundant, so we have Pearl just sort of being there in Dual Destinies cause like...she's cool and we like her, but I'm sure to new players it's extra awkward cause she gets reintroduced as a past character only to like...not do much cause what is she ganna do in the middle of everyone else's story? Edgeworth's part was much more uhh natural I guess, and it was really cool and good!

So like...I guess I could see them being overwhelmed by how much sheer history the series has and how risky it is to keep going without catching everyone up to speed. How successful can 7 be to new audiences... well, you could make it look real cool, announce a sale on past games and get profit on the trilogy and hopefully a 4-6 port too, so it's not hopeless, but it is something other franchises like Mario or Pokemon don't really have to deal with. But would they really throw it all the way? Ehhh maybe, a full reboot isn't totally impossible, but I wouldn't count on it... it seems like they're already insecure with the series as is only releasing digital versions here and stuff like that. To have a game without the popular Edgeworth in it...

But look! It looks like we're getting the Great Ace Attorney spin-offs coming here! Personally, I'm not so into those games, I love the last case, I think they're great overall, but the setting and many of the twists just aren't for me, but hey, I hope they're successful and give the team more confidence...and if they really want to cap the characters stories at SoJ...yeah, y'know, not a horrible spot to do it I guess. So if that confidence means a whole new universe or a different cast in a different part of the world or something way in the future, then suuure, I'll gladly take a peek!

...I sure can ramble on and on about stuff I'm passionate about...uhh...alternate timeline after trilogy replacing 4? Nah, I mean...nahhh, I dunno... probably not... Phoenix never meeting Apollo and Trucy breaks my heart, the trilogy ends with that line about um
Mia saying "I've got nothing left to teach you" like that's a great cap to Phoenix's personal growth, time for someone new
so yeah, nahhh

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I think the main series post-T&T has a bad habit of bringing stuff up in one game and then moving on to something entirely different in the next game without addressing it. Like, Athena hasn't quite come into her own as a lawyer yet, and Apollo still doesn't know Thalassa's his mother. Rebranching the series wouldn't really fix that problem. Actually, it's a terrifying super form of that problem. Now the loose ends aren't just left unresolved in favor of something new, they're unresolved permanently. Unless they introduce them for the second time, and then resolve them.

Look, even if we do want to have a game with just the trilogy cast, there's a way easier way to do it. Keep Maya around, bring Edgeworth back again, bring Gumshoe back, have some returning witnesses from the trilogy like Lotta and/or Maggey, send Athena and Trucy off to Europe for a game, keep Apollo in Khura'in. Even this is probably overkill. There's no need to do something as drastic as lopping the series in half.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I don't think this series can "afford" multiple timelines and stuff... At this point, the easier we can make it for newcomers to get into the "rest" of it (anything other than the trilogy), the better. If Capcom is really so afraid to keep going after SoJ and they like the pre-timeskip setting that much... I think an interquel is a "safe" idea. Maybe Investigations 3, maybe a disbarred Hobo Wright mystery solving game with smol Trucy... You can keep its timeline placing very close to that trilogy comfort zone (let's say 2020 in terms of series chronology). It could be a safe way to give fans something without complicating the series too much. I wouldn't even be against (though plenty of fans would be) a filler game. Maybe something between JFA and T&T that's just all about the individual cases, with no overarching plot and not affecting anything from the main series. Of course, something like that should be presented as a spin-off, not AA7. Call it Ace Attorney Trials or whatever idc.

IF we were to branch out an alternate timeline... I... I'm just still so sad Apollo didn't get a proper trilogy (I LOVE SoJ, but what Apollo got is nowhere near the same thing as a trilogy). My pick would be making "Apollo Justice: Dual Destinies" (or the equivalent to that), just a more concise, focused "retelling" of that story that doesn't rely on Wright so much and hopefully doesn't coward away from the themes and plotlines of AJ.

I'm not surprised we haven't got AA7 yet, because... honestly, I find it difficult to realistically make an SoJ sequel. I would love an Apollo-only game in Khurain, but that's just not happening. An Athena game could be pretty cool, giving her an actual reason to be a playable lawyer by making her the protagonist, instead of a glorified assistant... but if they won't trust an Apollo game to be able to hold its own without giving Wright the spotlight (and 4 out of 6 cases), then an actual Athena game won't happen, it's gonna be a Wright game that lets you play as Athena in one filler case and the last case.

And other than that... people have always suggested stuff like a Mia prequel, a von Karma prequel, a Franziska game... but the thing is, there's not really much that I feel the series "needs" as is. Investigations 3 would be awesome, but it wouldn't really make the series feel any more "complete", imo. I feel like the most prominent plotlines that can still be followed up on without feeling redundant were introduced in AJ, and then... completely wasted in DD, and since then, the series has become more "episodic" with plots being a lot more self contained. They (partly) wrote themselves into a corner...

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
IF we were to branch out an alternate timeline... I... I'm just still so sad Apollo didn't get a proper trilogy (I LOVE SoJ, but what Apollo got is nowhere near the same thing as a trilogy). My pick would be making "Apollo Justice: Dual Destinies" (or the equivalent to that), just a more concise, focused "retelling" of that story that doesn't rely on Wright so much and hopefully doesn't coward away from the themes and plotlines of AJ.
I haven't played 5 or 6 (in the middle of Investigations 1) but I heard from my friend today that they don't have the same cohesion as the trilogy did, and feel way more self-contained than Trilogy + Investigations. Dual Destinies really bit off more than it could chew, reintroducing Phoenix, trying to do more for Apollo, AND introducing a new lawyer all in the same game. Honestly they should've just done Phoenix and Apollo that game, three lawyers was honestly too ambitious. Apollo really should've gotten his own trilogy.

a Franziska game...
As long as she doesn't have her god-awful whip gimmick. There's absolutely nothing funny about it and I don't get why it's so beloved among fans... It's feel-bad and unbelievable, even for Ace Attorney standards. This game could be a good chance to really develop her but after how she was handled in Investigations I don't trust Capcom at all. H***, I would've had her NOT get her whip back after Justice for All, that thing is also a crutch for her insecurities and giving it up would be good character growth, especially since the pressure to be perfect isn't there anymore.

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played 5 or 6 (in the middle of Investigations 1) but I heard from my friend today that they don't have the same cohesion as the trilogy did, and feel way more self-contained than Trilogy + Investigations. Dual Destinies really bit off more than it could chew, reintroducing Phoenix, trying to do more for Apollo, AND introducing a new lawyer all in the same game. Honestly they should've just done Phoenix and Apollo that game, three lawyers was honestly too ambitious. Apollo really should've gotten his own trilogy.

As long as she doesn't have her god-awful whip gimmick. There's absolutely nothing funny about it and I don't get why it's so beloved among fans... It's feel-bad and unbelievable, even for Ace Attorney standards. This game could be a good chance to really develop her but after how she was handled in Investigations I don't trust Capcom at all. H***, I would've had her NOT get her whip back after Justice for All, that thing is also a crutch for her insecurities and giving it up would be good character growth, especially since the pressure to be perfect isn't there anymore.
Accurate. DD and SoJ are great games each by themselves (especially SoJ imo)... but if there's one thing this "trilogy" (which people only call it that by default) lacks, is cohesion. Absolutely. These games do not belong together, they're just each their own separate thing. AJ tried to lay the foundation for a very solid trilogy (or duology), but DD completely broke that...

I agree that AA5 should have been an Apollo + Phoenix game (I'm not against Phoenix being playable, but I am against him being the main character, he became too stale in that role, he needed the mentor role, with fewer playable sections). It's true that Dual Destinies, given its story, did require for Athena to exist... But, at the same time... it did not need Athena as a playable protagonist. 3 protagonists was indeed too much, and, while it's true that the story needs Athena, it needs her as an assistant, witness and defendant, never as a playable protagonist. I mean she could not even be a graduate lawyer yet, and the story would still work. Splitting the play time between 3 characters, and prioritizing Phoenix, was not a good idea for either character. Phoenix became stale and kind of developed backwards, Apollo's arc feels wasted as it was more told than shown, and Athena's role choice set people's expectations too high, making her an underwhelming lawyer, rather than a fulfilling assistant (who could have been promoted afterwards in a different game, getting proper focus).

Also I agree about Franziska, so annoying

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
So umm all the Mii fighters was capcom? what does this mean for Phoenix you think?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
so we got the MH costumes back with an Arthur costume to boot, I don't think the former would have meant much, but with a new addition, that definitely feels like it stings Capcom chances a bit at the very least.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Has there ever been a situation like this? Where the Mii costumes before the next character relate to characters after it? I definitely don't feel like a Capcom rep is very likely at this point due to this, but at the same, the reasoning for it makes sense due to the timing of game releases.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Yeah, these costumes now feel the end of Capcom characters to me. Time will tell anyway.

Lloyd, however, is still missing...

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I guess it's also worth noting we have DLC boards with more than 1 legendary spirit after this character, given how often I saw custom made boards here feature more than one of those for AA characters.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Honestly, the fact that these costumes were added to commemorate Rise and the Ghosts n' Goblins remake, fills me with hope. They were time based.

It could overall just mean that Phoenix will come with other Capcom costumes, or get the Sephiroth treatment and he'll come with Ace Attorney themed costumes.

Honestly, if anything, I just see this costume pack as reducing competition for us in regards to this Fighters Pass.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Was really hoping for Monster Hunter or Phoenix but a new Capcom costume with the MH ones makes me feel pretty certain that Capcom isn't one of the last two. It's sad that the scales have tipped against us, but if the rumours and leaks are true this will still be a good year to be an AA fan. :)

culumon

Smash Apprentice
Could just be naivete, but I don't think this makes an impact either way on one of the last two slots being a Capcom rep. Banjo aside, every 3rd party rep has come with Mii costumes relevant to their series. It's entirely possible that Sakurai would rather have the hypothetical Capcom character come with characters from their series, rather than it being a free-for-all of general Capcom Miis. I have no doubt based on precedent that we would get other Capcom characters thrown in there as well, it's just possible that he'd rather not have four of the maximum six taken up by other characters, with three of them exclusively being from Monster Hunter.

The above is a hypothetical, and with only two slots left and so much competition the possibility of us getting a Capcom rep in the first place is marginal, let alone it being Phoenix... but I don't think today's Mii Costumes affect Phoenix's chances either way outside of the fact that Phoenix's main competition from his own company is out of the running.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Could just be naivete, but I don't think this makes an impact either way on one of the last two slots being a Capcom rep. Banjo aside, every 3rd party rep has come with Mii costumes relevant to their series. It's entirely possible that Sakurai would rather have the hypothetical Capcom character come with characters from their series, rather than it being a free-for-all of general Capcom Miis. I have no doubt based on precedent that we would get other Capcom characters thrown in there as well, it's just possible that he'd rather not have four of the maximum six taken up by other characters, with three of them exclusively being from Monster Hunter.

The above is a hypothetical, and with only two slots left and so much competition the possibility of us getting a Capcom rep in the first place is marginal, let alone it being Phoenix... but I don't think today's Mii Costumes affect Phoenix's chances either way outside of the fact that Phoenix's main competition from his own company is out of the running.
Not to mention, Ace Attorney is ALL about the characters, more than any Capcom series I can think of. Sakurai is 100% the person who would want to pay that justice; the same thing happened with Terry, as both the stage and costumes were highly representative of the legacy and personalities associated with SNK.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
As a Tales of and Phoenix Wright fan, that was a terrifying Mii costume round. When I saw MH I was fully expecting a PW costume, not sure what this means for the potential of a future Capcom rep though.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, I'm going to take Capcom as soft-deconfirmed and hope for spirits. I could be wrong, but this way I'm not let down and I can enjoy the next two characters in peace.Or I could be pleasantly surprised! After all, the only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over... Still, it's unquestionable that MonHun and Arthur were added this wave due to promotion and timing. No true way of knowing but like I say, erring on the side of caution here.

Just remember, we have a brand new Ace Attorney duology coming to Switch in April! And a new game on the horizon! Never thought we'd be here, but here we are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom