• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Now that we're talking about Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, is this crossover canon in either game series?
It isnt canon but it fits so well in the timeline that it might as well be canon.
Taking place during Trials and tribulations and in between the second and third Layton games.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Okayyy, why'd everyone lose hope this time, uhh, from what I'm reading.....there's a text leak saying Kos-Mos is in that also said Kingdom Hearts 3 would get a trailer and a delay, some other stuff that hasn't come true yet, and a PC port for a game that people consider likely anyway. Am I missing anything? I just feel a bit lost when seeing comments like "Welp, good run!" or "Next time!" like woah, is this really that definitive?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okayyy, why'd everyone lose hope this time, uhh, from what I'm reading.....there's a text leak saying Kos-Mos is in that also said Kingdom Hearts 3 would get a trailer and a delay, some other stuff that hasn't come true yet, and a PC port for a game that people consider likely anyway. Am I missing anything? I just feel a bit lost when seeing comments like "Welp, good run!" or "Next time!" like woah, is this really that definitive?
Nah, Vergeben said he talked to his source and definitely said no Phoenix, no Dante, no Ammy, and also no Sora or Kratos and a few others. The source also said they weren't sure if it was KOS-MOS or not because they were confused whether she was Nintendo, Monolith Soft, or Bamco.

There's always the chance that everyone's wrong, and in general we're just in a timeline where no one knows anything, but it's good to prepare ourselves and hope for post-pass. This isn't defeat, just biding our time.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I imagine Phoenix's victory theme would be a remix of this:

In my opinion? Best Ace Attorney on the 3DS. Sure it had problems, but I feel Phoenix and Maya feel completely consistent with their original portrayals and they bounced off Layton and Luke really well to me.
That theme works extremely well thematically too because it implies that every battle is a new case Phoenix needs to solve.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Nah, Vergeben said he talked to his source and definitely said no Phoenix, no Dante, no Ammy, and also no Sora or Kratos and a few others. The source also said they weren't sure if it was KOS-MOS or not because they were confused whether she was Nintendo, Monolith Soft, or Bamco.

There's always the chance that everyone's wrong, and in general we're just in a timeline where no one knows anything, but it's good to prepare ourselves and hope for post-pass. This isn't defeat, just biding our time.
Ohh gotcha, I was definitely missing stuff, mkay, got it now, thanks!

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Even with all the odds against Phoenix Wright, a small irrational part of me thinks he still isn't truly out of the running yet.

I know I've expressed hope before that Vergeben would've said something implying Wright was indeed Fighter 5... but even if he did, all we would've had would be the words of someone who has leaked information in the past and has been right some times, wrong others. It would bode well for Wright's chances, but since it's still possible for Vergeben to be wrong, it still wouldn't be an ironclad guarantee.

That small irrational part of me hopes that, in what is likely the very short time period between now and the Fighter 5 reveal, a miracle happen and Phoenix Wright just ends up getting confirmed outright, because we end up getting hard evidence of him actually in the game (not unlike that one screenshot of Ken that appeared on 4chan two months before his reveal).

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I feel like FP5 is probably Kos-Mos. Verg's source knows who it is right? So if Verg actually asked him the correct character, and he can't actually say who it is, then he has 3 options. Don't respond, lie and say no, or say they're "unsure". Lying defeats the whole purpose of leaking info and would ruin Verg's credibility. And of the 2 remaining options, saying maybe is less suspicious. I still think Phoenix is extremely likely post pass, but I'm throwing in the towel for FP5.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Even with all the odds against Phoenix Wright, a small irrational part of me thinks he still isn't truly out of the running yet.

I know I've expressed hope before that Vergeben would've said something implying Wright was indeed Fighter 5... but even if he did, all we would've had would be the words of someone who has leaked information in the past and has been right some times, wrong others. It would bode well for Wright's chances, but since it's still possible for Vergeben to be wrong, it still wouldn't be an ironclad guarantee.

That small irrational part of me hopes that, in what is likely the very short time period between now and the Fighter 5 reveal, a miracle happen and Phoenix Wright just ends up getting confirmed outright, because we end up getting hard evidence of him actually in the game (not unlike that one screenshot of Ken that appeared on 4chan two months before his reveal).
What I'd love to see in the trailer for Phoenix, is if they come out and say that he or Edgeworth planted evidence to suggest that Phoenix isn't FP5. That would just be a big slap in the face to leakers.

Last edited:

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
I feel like FP5 is probably Kos-Mos. Verg's source knows who it is right? So if Verg actually asked him the correct character, and he can't actually say who it is, then he has 3 options. Don't respond, lie and say no, or say they're "unsure". Lying defeats the whole purpose of leaking info and would ruin Verg's credibility. And of the 2 remaining options, saying maybe is less suspicious. I still think Phoenix is extremely likely post pass, but I'm throwing in the towel for FP5.
From what I have heard some people say Verg has indicated or insinuated that he gets his information third hand in that he asks someone who knows someone who knows who fighter 5 is, this could be wrong though

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
This is how I interpret it as well. Either Verg doesn't have a source at all at the moment, and he's just saying this to hedge his bets in case KOS-MOS really is in (in which case he's basically proving Jon right that he's just a piggybacker), or else his source is giving the only answer they possibly can, given that they supposedly can't be specific but do know the character. It's not like there's an exception to that rule on the off-chance Verg happens to guess right, so "maybe" is the closest thing to a yes he could possibly expect.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I guess all we can do now is wait until we get an announcement or some actual gameplay of Fighter 5 leaks.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Kinda off-topic, but as a Layton fan I am curious to see the thoughts of this thread as a Layton fan:

Did you play the crossover game between Layton and Ace Attorney? If so how did you find it?
It was freaking awesome. It did everything it needed to do to be the perfect blend of both series. Lots of moments from it really stuck with me.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
At this point I'm just being bounced around and I'll land where I land and accept it.

Imagine if after all this it isn't even at the VGAs and we get a Smash direct like next week.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Sabi literally just did the "what if I updated the autopsy report?... haha just kidding... Unless?"

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This is getting tiring.
This is beginning to remind me of case 5 in investigations. Everytime you think you've got it, another everything proof shield is thrown up.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if there's a reveal at TGAs, it's only three days away - I'm just going to wait, as our god Sakurai intended. Let the leakers eat each other alive until then.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm confused, so the character is among the specific ones verge said no to? From the latest batch or when he gave the no to the likes of Arle? Either way, I'm too tired to really have hopes for Phoenix on fighter 5. At the end of the day, it's "stop believing leaker A and move to leaker B", so yeah, I'm not suddenly feeling more optimistic about our boy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
probably for the best if we all take a step back from the rumours and wait for the word from nintendo

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'm confused, so the character is among the specific ones verge said no to? From the latest batch or when he gave the no to the likes of Arle? Either way, I'm too tired to really have hopes for Phoenix on fighter 5. At the end of the day, it's "stop believing leaker A and move to leaker B", so yeah, I'm not suddenly feeling more optimistic about our boy.
From what I understand, the character was specifically mentioned. The ones with companies instead of characters aren't included.

...at least I think that's it. The post is vague.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I was wondering this myself, and would love it Sabi would confirm, but regardless, it does establish that Verge has some bad information.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly, if there's a reveal at TGAs, it's only three days away - I'm just going to wait, as our god Sakurai intended. Let the leakers eat each other alive until then.
Three days, hm? Just like a trial?!

I kid. I'm in the same boat. Maybe we'll get an announcement at TGAs. Maybe we won't. I'm not really expecting Phoenix, just like I haven't been expecting him since Smash 4. It's clear no one knows anything concrete and Bamco is doing their best to snuff out any leaks, so let's just take what we can get, when we can get it.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Pwshh, at least I'm finding this entertaining, wonder what'll get everyone to lose hope tonight and then what'll bring everyone's hope back tomorrow muahaha

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'm just gonna hold on to that Terry leak which is unlikely to be true but I'll hold my hopes for it anyway.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I already said on the Newcomer/DLC Discussion thread, but...

$%#&(# SABI!
STOP GIVING HOPE!
MY BRAIN CAN'T TAKE THIS INSANITY!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
This is beginning to remind me of case 5 in investigations. Everytime you think you've got it, another everything proof shield is thrown up.
I got the definitive evidence this time!

From what I understand, the character was specifically mentioned. The ones with companies instead of characters aren't included.

...at least I think that's it. The post is vague.
that's what makes the most sense, but yeah, it could be worded better honestly. Either way, I've had enough of this ping pong lol, I'll just wait to hear the news hopefully the day after TGA.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
All of this is giving me the opposite reaction; stop worrying about what leakers or rumors are saying and just hold out for the possibility of Wright. The only thing this back and forth has proven is that there's a lot of possibilities on the table, and it's possible Vergeben's source is wrong, Sabi's source is wrong, both sources are wrong, or both are right. I'm taking word from them with a grain of salt and nothing more at this point.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Looks like a big load of nothing

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Alright, while I don't really stick with anything these 2 say anymore, I decided to at least try to enlist the characters Verge gave the no to but Sabi hasn't since after the mess from 2 days ago, in case anyone cares, let me know if I got anything wrong:
  • Arle
  • Sakura
  • Reimu
  • Sol
  • Ragna
  • Billy and Jimmy
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Amaterasu
  • Sam Porter
  • Monokuma
  • Geralt
I didn't mention Kos-Mos as, to my knowledge, it's someone from the supposed disconfirmed characters, Scorpion, as that was before all this mess started, nor any Sony owned characters as it seems sabi considers those a no.
Here's PapaGenos' take on the info Sabi dropped. Which is basically "Verge is just wrong".

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...538838/Screenshot_20191209-144249_Discord.jpg

(I couldn't upload it as a pic so I'm using a link)
so just that one old post is wrong and not these last updates? I think I'll just stop paying too much attention into this lol, too annoying honestly.

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
From what I understood of Sabis tweet it’s that the list with the insane company deconfirms was wrong but nothing is indicating that the newer list with Phoenix specifically is wrong, so no matter how much I would love for Wright being in the running again this doesn’t really change anything outside of it NOT being a Sony rep

Top Bottom