• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

T9: Canada's Fighting Game Championships - Toronto, ON - SSBM & SSBB - July 12 & 13

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
T9: The Canadian Fighting Game Championships

No Texting, No Johns, Fox only. Final Destination.

The T series have been running fighting game tournaments for years now, and this year Smash will be in their main events schedule; both games. This is your chance to make your mark by participating in one of Canada's largest fighting game stages. Leave your mark by placing 1st in T9's 1st Brawl tournament and hopefully play against some of the Brawl players from Empire Arcadia/Deadly Alliance.

DATE: Saturday July 12th – Sunday July 13th

Saturday July 12th - Super Smash Bros. Melee 1v1, 2v2 and hopefully crews
Sunday July 13th - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1v1, 2v2 and possibly crews

2041 Eglinton W
York (Toronto), Ontario
M6E 2K4

HOTEL INFORMATION

Holiday Inn Hotel
3450 Dufferin St
Toronto, ON
M6A 2V1

CHECK OUT SYSTEM
A system will be put in place between T9 Staff and the players to register equipment that is on loan (TV's, consoles, sticks) to ensure that theft (as sad as it is to see) is not a factor. We strongly encourage players to keep an eye on their equipment but I'm sure we can all agree that tracking equipment in and out of the venue is best for all parties.

SITE FEE
There is a $10 one time fee for every player to cover the cost of renting the private venue for the weekend. THIS FEE WILL BE ENFORCED REGARDLESS OF WHETHER A PLAYER IS ENTERING A TOURNAMENT OR NOT.

GROUND RULES
This year the T tournament will be held at a private venue on the west end of Toronto.
Since this is a private venue, proper play conduct will be very important.
No alcohol & No Fighting goes without saying.
No loitering in the front area (there is a rear section if you would like a smoke break)

ENTRY FEE FOR TOURNAMENTS
It'll be $10 per person for Singles and $5 per person for Doubles.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Ruleset:

copypasta from ToS5/Fogel :D with an edit

General:

- Bring your own controller, or ensure someone is bringing one for you. Tournament staff are not resposible for providing extra controllers.
- No controller mods allowed aside from cosmetic changes, no programmed buttons allowed.
- All controller types are allowed (Gamecube, Classic, Nunchuck, or Wiimote only if you're crazy like that) ***I'll get back to you on Wii-motes stuff

- No pausing during a match unless there is a good reason. If you pause repeatedly for no good reason, you may forfeit that match at the discretion of tournament staff.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Jigglypuff's rising pound, Sonic infinite Up-B under the stage, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the match, pause the game and call for tournament staff.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 5 minutes. If one or more of the participants does not show up within the 5 minutes, they forfeit the match. This applies to both singles and doubles.
- Prizes: Singles and Doubles: 65/25/10 split for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Match rules:

- All matches are 3 stock, 7 minute time limit.
- All Items are OFF (this includes Smash Balls).
- Doubles-specific: Team attack ON, life stealing allowed.
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing the stage has already won on that stage, unless both players agree to use that stage.
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate one of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Double blind character pick (may be called for the first game): A double blind pick is when each player secretly tells a neutral third-party what character they will use. The third party then announces the character choices, and the players must stick with their character choices.
- Advanced Slob Picks (for the second or later game in a set): For a given game, the loser of the previous game may either choose the next stage or elect to go to a random stage. The winner of the previous game may then either change character, or stay as their current character. The loser may then either change character, or stay as their current character.

Neutral stages (will be on random select):
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks (are not on random select, but are legal stages to be selected):
Pokemon Stadium - Melee
Rainbow Cruise - Melee
Delfino Plaza
Squeege's Mansion
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Jungle Japes - Melee
Brinstar - Melee
Distant Planet

Banned (can never be used under any circumstances):
Hanenbow
Corneria - Melee
Bridge of Eldin
Green Hill Zone
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
WarioWare, Inc.
Onett - Melee
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Pictochat
Green Greens - Melee
Pirate Ship
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Temple - Melee
Yoshi's Island - Melee
Big Blue - Melee
ANY custom stages

Super Smash Bros. Melee Ruleset:

General:

- Bring your own controller, or ensure someone is bringing one for you. Tournament staff are not resposible for providing extra controllers.
- No controller mods allowed aside from cosmetic changes, no programmed buttons allowed.

- No pausing during a match unless there is a good reason. If you pause repeatedly for no good reason, you may forfeit that match at the discretion of tournament staff.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Jigglypuff's rising pound, Peach’s wall bomber, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the match, pause the game and call for tournament staff.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 5 minutes. If one or more of the participants does not show up within the 5 minutes, they forfeit the match. This applies to both singles and doubles.
- Prizes: Singles and Doubles: 65/25/10 split for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Match rules:

- All matches are 4 stock, 8 minute time limit.
- All Items are OFF.
- Doubles-specific: Team attack ON, life stealing allowed.
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing the stage has already won on that stage, unless both players agree to use that stage.
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate one of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Double blind character pick (may be called for the first game): A double blind pick is when each player secretly tells a neutral third-party what character they will use. The third party then announces the character choices, and the players must stick with their character choices.
- Advanced Slob Picks (for the second or later game in a set): For a given game, the loser of the previous game may either choose the next stage or elect to go to a random stage. The winner of the previous game may then either change character, or stay as their current character. The loser may then either change character, or stay as their current character.

Neutral stages (will be on random select):
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams (BANNED in doubles)
Dreamland 64
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle 64 (BANNED in singles)

Counterpicks
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Corneria
Brinstar
Mute City
Poke Floats
Kongo Jungle (In Singles)
Great Bay (Doubles only)
Mushroom Kingdom II (Doubles only)

Banned:
Everything else loll.

Other Rules:
Wobbling is allowed.

Coaching is allowed between matches, nothing too loud. Don't have it distracting the other player. Talking, sneering, and giggling from coaches is allowed, just try not get too loud.

Trash talking IS allowed as long as its friendly. Respect the players, this means if they want you to stop, then obey by it. No fighting, no rough stuff, no overly abusive language or yelling...you know the deal. Be nice, and try to be a good sport about losing. No johns please, and if you are going to john make it discreet. We don't sourpusses to ruin our day. You know who you are. Let's just try to have fun @ this **** :]]

Please bring your own controller. Please lol.

TVs
-
-

Melee setups
-
-

Brawl setups
-
-

Other Games that will be played at the venue:

OFFICIAL TOURNAMENTS: Singles & Teams

Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Capcom Vs SNK 2
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Guilty Gear Accent Core
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

UNOFFICIAL/SIDE TOURNAMENTS:

Street Fighter Alpha 3
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Melty Blood
Arcana Heart Full

For more details check the SRK thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=158046

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I will update the time info sometime this week.

People that are coming, please help out by bringing your TVs and brawl+wiis.

Sanu

Smash Champion
Wrong forum, noobnan.

Oh, you already know. Nevermind.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Oh **** Engo, you're right. It's at Club Simbario. Also, come to me for some friendlies at this event. I've been meaning to play you for awhile lol.

Sorry guys, I've been without a computer for awhile now. It's hard to update this thing, but I will be doing so. If anyone wants to take my place and do Brawl, it's cool with me and you can take it. *looks at Nate* lol! I'll pass it to someone who can do the job.

Geist

Smash Master
hmm not sure if i can come and if i can ittle be only on sunday afternoon..hopefully in time for brawl doubles.

cuz we pwn.

edit:

lolol this is acually Wigi i keep foregtting im logged into brendon's acount

Engo

Smash Ace
Oh **** Engo, you're right. It's at Club Simbario. Also, come to me for some friendlies at this event. I've been meaning to play you for awhile lol.

Sorry guys, I've been without a computer for awhile now. It's hard to update this thing, but I will be doing so. If anyone wants to take my place and do Brawl, it's cool with me and you can take it. *looks at Nate* lol! I'll pass it to someone who can do the job.

Look for the youngest guy there.

You play Peach,right? I don't really have any experience against peaches lol

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Melee Singles.
2-3 guys and 1 cube =) lmfao.

Edit: i change my mind, kongo should be banned for singles =)

Bob Lablaw

Smash Journeyman
What other events are at this?
And GOOD GOD why is Kongo 64 banned? That's my favourite counter pick!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
less freakouts please he means kongo64 is on neutral in teams but counterpick in singles.

adnan just fails at spelling.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I can't wait for T9, I only get to play someone who's no a computer like once a week >_>.

and I really need those 2 questions from my previous post answered please.
QFT. Unfortunately, most of my friends have forgotten about Melee and are brainwashed into thinking that Brawl is just WAY BETTER IN EVERY WAY. Whatever. I'm rusty as hell at Melee, but I'm still gonna join the tournament. It should be fun.

As for your other two questions, the SRK thread says:

Sat
10:30am: Registration starts for all tournaments
1:00pm: Super Smash Brothers Melee Tournament begins

Sun
10:30am: Registration resumes for all games
1:00pm: Carry over slot should any tournaments not be able to finish on Saturday night.
1:00pm: Super Smash Brothers Brawl begins

Pricewise, I'm almost certain that it's $10 site fee, then $10 per tournament. Ergo, it'll be $30 for the people such as myself playing Melee and Brawl.

dprim3

Smash Rookie
I look forward to it.

I've heard tournaments are a great experience and give you way more practice than playing against your newbie friends. It will be my first tournament but I have to start somewhere.

What does it mean by no programmed buttons? Are we allowed to use our personalized button configurations? If not, I'm going to have to bring a GCN controller, because my approach to the Classic I usually used is entirely based on my unique configuration.

What's the format going to be like, and how many people are we expecting?

Engo

Smash Ace
QFT. Unfortunately, most of my friends have forgotten about Melee and are brainwashed into thinking that Brawl is just WAY BETTER IN EVERY WAY. Whatever. I'm rusty as hell at Melee, but I'm still gonna join the tournament. It should be fun.

As for your other two questions, the SRK thread says:

Sat
10:30am: Registration starts for all tournaments
1:00pm: Super Smash Brothers Melee Tournament begins

Sun
10:30am: Registration resumes for all games
1:00pm: Carry over slot should any tournaments not be able to finish on Saturday night.
1:00pm: Super Smash Brothers Brawl begins

Pricewise, I'm almost certain that it's $10 site fee, then $10 per tournament. Ergo, it'll be $30 for the people such as myself playing Melee and Brawl.
Thanks for that. Hopefully a schedule of the events is added, because I don't think I'll be able to stay the whole time, so I'll be coming for singles and some friendlies then I have to leave. =/

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I don't know if'll be doing both Single and Doubles at the same time, but I highly recommend you coming, Engo. Btw were you at Starfurry? Do you use Falco?

As for the schedule for Smash through SRK, yes that is the correct time things will be kicking off for both dates. I would've had posted that stuff up, but no computer jones.

As for controller config, I don't see anything wrong with it personally. If anyone in the Brawl community knows anything wrong with customized button config, speak up please. If it's something stupid like "it's cheap" stfu lol. I would recommend you bringing your GCN controller since it's better to use and doesn't take up 5 mins for you to swap **** on every TV you go to lol.

For numbers I'm not sure, really. But I need to stress the fact that we need Brawl+Wiis for the Brawl tournament. God, the last thing I/we need is Matt/Switchblade to make a post in annoying red, bold, size 7 font. IT BURNS THE EYES! lol.

TV's would be nice lol. Can't wait to play a lot of you guys.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
the only john i have not making this tourney is having a job training.
but that will unlikely happen.

Adnan I haven't played you in years.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I knowwww. Don't let me down, you either come to this event or I expect you to be coming out to our next Sauga event. I'm going through job orientation **** too, so none of that lol.

I kid. Just about the job part. LOL the first part I'm dead serious about.

Top Bottom