• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

]Syntax Error['s Brawl Texture Hack Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.K

Level 55
What the hell? I was a HUGE fan of their work.
**** Nintendo, what do they POSSIBLY have to gain by this?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Unbeknownst to us, Nintendo was already working on their own Cap'n McDonald DLC pack.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
http://unleadedmugen.com/stacksmash/?p=1987

It seems it was Nintendo who shut them down after all... Nintendo is just comprised of a bunch of *******s now. -_-
WTF.

**** YOU NINTENDO, YOU GREEDY FILTHY GRINCH!

Seriously, what is wrong with Nintendo? EE Syntax Error jumped through hoops to ensure that they did not distribute any copyrighted data, and only patched a game. (i.e. you need to own the game and rip it to get their hack to work) They did not promote any form of piracy. This was a fan project, paying tribute to many great Nintendo characters, and this is how Nintendo responds?

Instead of going after sites that distribute copyrighted games, you go after an innocent fan project?

You know what? Screw you Nintendo. I'm burning all 1st party Nintendo games from now on so you never see a dime of profit from me.

Edit: FYI, This didn’t make me suddenly do a 180 and hate on Nintendo. I’ve been increasingly frustrated with Nintendo, and this is just the last straw. I’ve been sick of their approach for a while now, ignoring the “hardcore” gamers as they call us (labeling anyone who wants depth and effort in their games as "hardcore" and overboard in their expectations, of course), and focusing more and more on gimmicky lower-quality shallow games that the casual masses eat up. But if the ‘cease and desist’ thing is true. Then I’m just… done with Nintendo. Seriously. I will not support them ever again. And honestly, I won’t be missing out on much.

~PK~

Smash Cadet
Nintendo is quite disappointing, sue the texture hackers, but no, don't sue the people who make Emulators that actually cost Ninty money. =/

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo makes me sick.

To think.....Nintendo could have done SOOOOO much with Brawl asside from costumes...
What a fail

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
This is like having a party in honor of a team and the team comes and trashes their own party. There's just no other way to describe this.

What a piece of **** company.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
for some reason this just seems cheesy to me. there are websites that have been up for years distributing nintendo roms, not to mention people make fan games all the freaking time. why would they give a **** about some random texturing project?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Chrono Resurrection anyone? Shutting down things like this just boggles the mind, Nintendo could have bought them and they'd have some very skilled people at their disposal. This just sickens me personally. I'm gonna be sticking around Stack Smash for quite a while now, as I'm very very impressed by their work too.

But **** am I gonna miss ]EE[. Really a huge shame, and I hope they're not too beat up by the whole thing.

This thread's not popular enough as far as angry Nintendo fans are concerned.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I modded my Wii for this. I installed Homebrew for this. I dumped my copy of Brawl for this. I apparently wasted six months of my life on this.

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
If they took down people over simple texture mods, I'd watch out if the Brawl+ scene doesn't get hit.
Nintendo seems to be lame like that.

infomon

Smash Scientist
..... wait, what exactly were the texture-hack ppl distributing? An iso patch shouldn't have been able to infringe on Nintendo's copyright; like, they're not distributing Brawl itself, if they were just sending instructions (code) that modifies particular parts of the Brawl iso, I don't think Nintendo would have any legal right to prevent its distribution.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Man, people should be SO much more upset about this. The guys at Stack Smash are absolutely LIVID. They've been sending the story to major gaming news outlets, blogging, posting on 4Chan (*shiver*), anything they can to get the gaming community mad about this. This really is a pretty bad kick in the pants to Nintendo's fans. What's worse is that, knowing major companies' legal departments, some douche in a cubicle probably had the job of scouring the net for stuff like this and had the authority to send out cease and desists; chances are the higher ups (Iwata, Sak, Reggie) probably never even knew about ]EE[ or their project.

A sad day for Brawl (and gaming) indeed.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
lol why are you guys acting like this is some tragedy. you can still release the textures with instructions on how to make your own iso patch.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Um... because this is a tragedy? Have you not seen the ]EE[ hacks? They were gorgeous, and they took the better part of a YEAR to do. I can't hack, nor can I PS. If you can, good for you, but for all of the people who relied on people like ]EE[ because we don't have the leet skillz necessary to do a job like they did, we're hit pretty bad.

Not to mention some of those textures were works of ****ing art. Seriously.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Something doesn't seem right about this... First of all, there are a few(I believe mods, people with the red names) over there saying the guy who posted it was Nintendo(PZT) jumped the gun... On the post about GoNintendo listing them as the ones who were shut down, TeadyMKII says he knows for a fact it wasn't Nintendo. So pretty much we've got 2 exact opposite thoughts about it, and STILL nothing coming from ANY members of EE directly. Combine this with years and years of copyrighted Nintendo characters being skinned into PC games with not a word, and we've got some big questions with no answers... Not only that, but there was some strange posting on the forums before they went down, that would not make sense with a C&D... Plus, why would the whole site, Youtube account, and forums go down entirely from a C&D? If that was the case, the guys from EE would have left something saying what happened. I don't know what happened, but the Nintendo theory seems very shaky.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
All of the theories are shaky. That's part of the problem; a C&D theory is just the least shaky of the theories we have...

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Nintendo didn't do this. To many hacks of major nintendo characters floating around in regular PC games for them to even care about texture hacking. This is probably just an extremely elaborate prank from one of the many other texture hacking groups.

I highly doubt that Nintendo even knows about ]EE[

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Nintendo didn't do this. To many hacks of major nintendo characters floating around in regular PC games for them to even care about texture hacking. This is probably just an extremely elaborate prank from one of the many other texture hacking groups.

I highly doubt that Nintendo even knows about ]EE[
i agree. this is too ridiculous even for nintendo. it doesn't profit them in anyway to stop a bunch of shoddy textures from being released to the public who have been 'desperately waiting for 6 months for them to come out and even hacked their wii just for it'. :laugh:

you guys are too much.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Stack Smash confirmed it as Nintendo's doing.

They have contact with Raganook himself, so I'm gonna take their word for it.

:093:

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Of course Nintendo thinks they would benefit from shutting down ]EE[. The ]EE[ patch required a working Brawl .ISO. Most people who were interested would just rip their Brawl disc, no harm, no foul... Except that here in the good old US of A, you can't legally make backups of your games. And even if you could, there's a slight chance that people would try to pirate Brawl to get the hack working; I mean, I could easily see some well-intentioned gamer putting the Brawl .ISO up on a torrent to try to help out all the people who have Brawl but don't want to wait 5 hours to rip their game, not realizing that people will then just pirate the .ISO.

Nintendo thinks that they have plenty to gain. And, the Chrono Ressurection project proved to us years ago that game companies will shut down fanart projects. It's well within the scope of possibility that Nintendo did this. I'm not saying 100%, but well within the 85-90% range.

Reinhart_x

Smash Apprentice
My theory is that this is a clever ruse, possibly them moving to a new website and giving us the patch on Christmas Day. I don't know their plans about making more textures, I never followed *that* closely, but perhaps they were gonna shut down the site anyway and just post on another one, so they decided to pull a fast one on everybody. Who knows?...

Either way, like many others have said, Nintendo would have shut things down a long time ago because if a big company such as Nintendo doesn't like something, they will do something about it immediately. Doesn't it seem just a little too convenient for them to have found them and put out a C + D that arrives *just* before release? Also, no one's gonna order that they not talk about legal actions put against them. Finally, taking the Youtube account down? The videos they might be able to get them to remove, sure, but the whole account? I smell fish.

Bottom line, I think the best thing we can do is just forget about it until Christmas, by then we should either have the patch, more info, or just not hear anything and then we can probably just forget about it. :bigthumbu

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Digg story:
http://digg.com/nintendo/EE_Syntax_Error_s_Textures_removed_by_Nintendo_s_threats

Guys, please digg this article (if you don't have one, making a new account takes 2 minutes) and send it to all your gamer-friends. We want this story to get as much publicity as possible.
I posted on OCRemix and Penny Arcade's forums, so hopefully that will help.

Oh, and GoNintendo already reported on the story, and Nintendo's gotten a LOT of hate from this. If this is a 'clever' ]EE[ ruse, it's a VERY irresponsible one. Some of us are being civil in our discourse, but for every one of us, there are 5-10 people e-mailing Nintendo with threatening/harsh/hateful language.

Reinhart_x

Smash Apprentice
I posted on OCRemix and Penny Arcade's forums, so hopefully that will help.

Oh, and GoNintendo already reported on the story, and Nintendo's gotten a LOT of hate from this. If this is a 'clever' ]EE[ ruse, it's a VERY irresponsible one. Some of us are being civil in our discourse, but for every one of us, there are 5-10 people e-mailing Nintendo with threatening/harsh/hateful language.
I agree with ya, Jack, this is quite irresponsible if it is in fact a joke, but if that's the case, I'm sure it wasn't meant to go this far (or, maybe this *is* what they wanted). People are badmouthing Nintendo and while it was just speculation at first, that PZT person went ahead and made an outright statement that it was Nintendo's doing, while no one has in fact heard anything official. The worst possible (yet improbable) thing could happen would be that this would actually draw attention to the project, possibly leading to what is already being taken as 100% fact. That would be irony at its best (or worst).

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I can't help but think that if I was in ]EE['s position (asusming that this is, in fact, a ruse), I'd have pulled the plug the instant all of this drama happened. A little publicity is NOT worth the amount of flames that this has incited. Although, I'm sure a lot of people are now a little more aware of the insanity that is A ) the American legal system, B ) international copyright law, and C ) international encryption/decryption statutes.

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
I followed Syntax Error the entire time they were up and it would be very out of character for them.
They were so set on releasing it and constantly held communication with it's fans.

I cannot see ]EE[ doing this, and if it was a joke, they would of not let it go this long.

That and they said (indirectly) it was Nintendo so... rightly or wrongly I trust it.
I have no reason not to.

EDIT: btw, I think must of us know Nintendo could do this and they have the right to....but out of all the crap they could be cracking down on, they choose these texture artists? Dumb.

It is not even like Nintendo has dl content for Brawl and is losing money that way.
I think 99% of the people interested in the hack already own Brawl.

Reinhart_x

Smash Apprentice
Well, I certainly won't dismiss the chance that they are telling the truth, it would seem that a team that keeps its followers so well informed and very excited to release it to the public wouldn't do something like this. However, I just can't help but be skeptical, the timing is just too perfect and really, they could have let us know anything that happened by now directly. Only time will tell, I suppose...

infomon

Smash Scientist
What exactly is the claim? Is it copyright infringement? Is Nintendo actually making a deal out of "digital lock" (ugh such a dumb phrase) circumvention? Or something really lame like misuse of trademark (lol)?

Edit: they weren't distributing the iso though, right? Just patches that could be applied to it?

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Correct. Nothing originally made, produced, or otherwise available on the Brawl disc was to be distributed. If you searched the Brawl file structure, you wouldn't find anything that was in that patch. Everything was made from scratch. You'd be applying the patch to your Brawl .ISO.

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
Right. Just a patch. They were very strict deleting talk of ISO torrenting, etc.
They would always say, use yours and tell you how to use your disc. While this is technically illegal, did you know copying your CD to your PC is technically illegal too?

While I still have a hint to skepticism with the timing and procedure of it all, I lean toward Nintendo involvement. The shoe fits.

Why stop the patch? The guide....which IMO would be the issue here, not a texture patch.
Thank God the PC gaming community embraces texture modding and the like to their games.
Counter-Strike would not exist otherwise.

Smash_me_mavrick

Smash Rookie
have the stuff

the night they released the material to hack colors i downloaded it so i have the stuff to do it . But IT VERY VERY difficult to do you need to copy the disk, copy the info on it , use photoshop to make your own textures it wasn't a patch it ended up being a guide to make your own.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
They planned on releasing the two in tandem; no patch, then the guide only details how to make your own textures, while no guide and you wouldn't be able to apply the patch.

They released the guide... but Nintendo got to them before they could release the patch.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Making a copy of the iso to your computer..... that in itself isn't illegal, in your country or mine, I'm pretty sure. However I think your draconian DMCA makes it illegal for you to circumvent any DRM that Nintendo places on the disc that makes it difficult for you to make the copy. But I dunno enough about Nintendo's media...... but I think it's legal for us Canadians to make a backup of the disc on our computers, regardless of any silly measures Nintendo uses to try and stop it; we just can't share the data with others. But I could be wrong, I don't know that much about copyright......

but anyway, the site wasn't even doing that, they were just giving instructions on how you could do the same? Is that actually illegal in your country?? sigh....

It's quite possible that Nintendo does not have the right to stop the texture-hax site... though they can send a Cease+Desist and I think it's the site's responsibilty to determine if their activities were legal or not (and respond accordingly). My guess is what happened, is Nintendo themselves weren't even sure, but sent the Cease+Desist, and the hax ppl freaked out and took everything down just to be safe until they figure out for sure where they stand.

If nothing else, someone should start hosting the project on servers where it's legal to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom