• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SynikaL's Brawl Impressions: "When Hearts Cry" Edition

Neko06

Smash Cadet
That's a pretty brave statement to make without evidence when evidence of the contrary exists. Who are these people? Name 10.
Its probably more true among casual players less caught up about the gameplay mechanics and more interested in the improved graphics, character variety, and new features.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
I actually don't think the game looks that great and others agree. I'm reserving my final judgment on that for when I get to see the game on my own TV.

-Kimo

Neko06

Smash Cadet
I haven't played it yet, so I can't say for sure of course, but it seems like a winning combination to a casual gamer like me.

Neko06

Smash Cadet
I have never advocated not playing Brawl. I am, however, advocating not playing Brawl competitively at its current state (with or without items). I'm fine with it becoming the new Low Tiers, though, a smaller side-tourney..
The fact that you would consider it in terms of tiers undermines the spirit of such a tournament.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The fact that you would consider it in terms of tiers undermines the spirit of such a tournament.
Did you even read the thing you quote? Said I'd be fine if it became the new "Low Tiers", which means "A new side-tournament to Melee with less focus, less time spent on and less money on the line - A tournament more just for fun!".

Neko06

Smash Cadet
You, sir, are going to get ignored because some people in this thread are really freaking sensitive.

Stop Ignoring people. It makes you look like a troll. Especially when you do it for stupid things.
The only reason someone would openly state that they are Ignoring someone would be to incite anger, the very definition of a troll.

Neko06

Smash Cadet
Did you even read the thing you quote? Said I'd be fine if it became the new "Low Tiers", which means "A new side-tournament to Melee with less focus, less time spent on and less money on the line - A tournament more just for fun!".
That I could go for. I know what you mean by "low tier", but it seems to imply such a tournament would somehow hold less value than a "high tier" tournament. But now this is starting to get abstract. At any rate, I think I spoke a bit too quickly there...

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Please stop bringing up the way that sports are affected by random factors like weather and such. These things hamper athletes' ability to play the game, they don't enhance it.
We play Smash without items because we want the outcome of our matches to be determined specifically based on the abilities of the players in question and not based on random factors. I don't see why this is hard to understand.
Why introduce excess elements of luck and random chance into the competitive environment? Items may be fun and all that if you like them, I can't stop you from using them and I don't want to, but when it comes to tournament play where money is on the line, you don't want random chances to affect your match.
Why are people allowed to play with Luigi, Peach, or Game and Watch? How about Dedede? They have random moves that could (and probably have) affect the outcome of the match. Yet if I remember right Peach was high tier and no one had a problem with spamming her random turnips. I sure as hell wouldn't want to lose to a sudden Peach bomb blast and lose my chance at some money just because it was dumb luck she pulled it.

Neko06

Smash Cadet
you dont understand what hes talking about. however you would if you understood anything about the competitive smash community
I do not know much. Only what I've seen here and the propaganda spewing forth from 4chan. If you feel that invalidates my opinions, that's fair, though I 'm trying to encourage open mindedness.

Neko06

Smash Cadet
Why are people allowed to play with Luigi, Peach, or Game and Watch? How about Dedede? They have random moves that could (and probably have) affect the outcome of the match. Yet if I remember right Peach was high tier and no one had a problem with spamming her random turnips. I sure as hell wouldn't want to lose to a sudden Peach bomb blast and lose my chance at some money just because it was dumb luck she pulled it.
I believe it's because the tournament player views their character of choice as an avatar of sorts. They would sooner remove all other random aspects of the game before the characters. This would seem a double standard, but, to them, the characters are part of the spirit of the experience, and I can understand that. Correct me if I'm wrong though. As previously stated, I know little of the tourney scene.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because it's part of their metagame. It's not something that will change based on the stage (though there's spot on Hyrule Temple where Peach will constantly pull Bob-Ombs, but Hyrule Temple is banned, anyway), the characters they face or where on the stage they're standing. They also can't just pull one of their ***** while they're being comboed; the opponent will never be punished for doing simply what they're supposed to, only if they get hit by the random-based attack.

The chances of them pulling these lucky breaks are constant and a part of who the characters are. These lucky things also in no way makes them way too overpowered to be allowed in tournaments. The randomness and luck factor here are programmed into the characters themselves.

It's obvious that game isn't meant for you if you aren't skilled enough to adapt to unpredictable circumstances. This game has 40+ stages and all you use is four of them because of, oh no, STAGE HAZARDS! Grow some balls and use the situation against your opponents. OH GOD NO THAT ITEM SPAWNED NEAR THAT GUY. Well then kick his *** and take it, you pansy. If you can't handle unpredictable matches, don't call yourself a professional.

Neko06

Smash Cadet
The chances of them pulling these lucky breaks are constant and a part of who the characters are. These lucky things also in no way makes them way too overpowered to be allowed in tournaments. The randomness and luck factor here are programmed into the characters themselves.
You put it a lot more technically then I did, but I believe we're essentially saying the same thing, that its part of the spirit of the experience.

Neko06

Smash Cadet
It's obvious that game isn't meant for you if you aren't skilled enough to adapt to unpredictable circumstances. This game has 40+ stages and all you use is four of them because of, oh no, STAGE HAZARDS! Grow some balls and use the situation against your opponents. OH GOD NO THAT ITEM SPAWNED NEAR THAT GUY. Well then kick his *** and take it, you pansy. If you can't handle unpredictable matches, don't call yourself a professional.
It's the money and the need to prove oneself on an even playing field that guides tournament play I believe. There's no need to take offense to that. I may not follow that philosophy myself, but I can respect it on a certain level.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
So. . . . if I throw random **** at NBA players and they can't handle it perfectly they aren't pro in the game?

Besides, you never played in tournies (obviously) so what have you to think it takes less skill to do what they do. Why do you people post before thinking it through? WHY?!?!?!?!?!?

Edit: WTF? 4 stages? Closer to 14 stages. This is why you need to actually know what you are talking about before posting.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's assuming the opponent isn't on the same level as you. If they are, you can't jsut "kick their ***" and steal the item that spawned right in front of them while you're too far away to get there in time.

If two equally skilled (on a competitive level) players are playing, they will abuse items if they're on. With the luck element, a game can be really close, really important and one player can be ahead by far. And then one lucky drop or a few lucky drops piled up will neutralize that advantage or even worse, turn it around, completely imbalancing the game.

And it's not based on any sort of skill. The player who was in the lead didn't do anything wrong. The game just randomly decided to favour the other guy.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Obviously I failed, guess my last two post weren’t good enough or something.

You people are hell bent on forcing each others opinions on how the game should be played, which is a waste of time.
You can’t tell someone how to have fun , nether is there a right or wrong way to have fun (unless you’re harming another person).

Neko06

Smash Cadet
Edit: WTF? 4 stages? Closer to 14 stages. This is why you need to actually know what you are talking about before posting.
No offense, but thats still well over half of the stages. It doesn't exactly strengthen your argument, though I understand where you're coming from.

Like I just said...

If you can't handle the use of items, then turn them off. But don't call yourself a professional if you can't handle unpredictability.

I respect the fact that some people don't want to miss out on several thousand dollars because of a lucky Starman that happened to bounce by in your opponent's direction. I would be pissed off too. But you can't ever become truly good if you can't be flexible.

?!?

Smash Lord
Holla at me if you need to hire a teams partner. I
brawl sucks melee is better lol at noobs calling AT cheap tactics stfu and die. yo kye you knew alot fo noobs will complain about your post you have any idea where you posted this thread? in the brawl section ROFL its a noob infested area you might wanna make this thread somwhere else with more pros to look at it.

Neko06

Smash Cadet
Obviously I failed, guess my last two post weren’t good enough or something.

You people are hell bent on forcing each others opinions on how the game should be played, which is a waste of time.
You can’t tell someone how to have fun , nether is there a right or wrong way to have fun (unless you’re harming another person).

I personally am merely trying to get both sides to understand that there are good points and bad points to there argument. Simply assuming that ones way of playing the game is the best one... well pardon me, but that's foolish. Casual players tend to come off like they would never play a 1vs1 no items final destination game just to see whose better, while tournament players tend to imply that they'd never play a game with items on, and a player that would is any less of a player.

Neko06

Smash Cadet
Like I just said...

If you can't handle the use of items, then turn them off. But don't call yourself a professional if you can't handle unpredictability.

I respect the fact that some people don't want to miss out on several thousand dollars because of a lucky Starman that happened to bounce by in your opponent's direction. I would be pissed off too. But you can't ever become truly good if you can't be flexible.
Well that sounds noble, but "good" is objective. A tournament player wouldn't see someone who wins by a lucky break as "good" (though such a thing would at least be entertaining if there aren't any stakes).

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Attention!

I'm sick of the item discussion, this thread has lost focus and has been hijacked by it. I don't want to see it anymore. If anyone cares about this thread, please oblige or I will have this thread closed.

If you can't stand the idea of not being able to respond to someone, please either:

A. Take it Aim/PM.

B. Make your own thread.

C. Put them on ignore.

*edit*

Neko, please stop double posting everywhere.

-SynikaL
(thank you)

Neko06

Smash Cadet
Attention!

I'm sick of the item discussion, this thread has lost focus and has been hijacked by it. I don't want to see it anymore. If anyone cares about this thread, please oblige or I will have this thread closed.

If you can't stand the idea of not being able to respond to someone, please either:

A. Take it Aim/PM.

B. Make your own thread.

C. Put them on ignore.

*edit*

Neko, please stop double posting everywhere.

-SynikaL
(thank you)

Well there's no need to take things so seriously. I will edit my posts to add comments if need be then.

JCrazYAkumA

Smash Rookie
i think once people find how to use Characters and get use to the floaty thingy we'll find more glitchs or other things to make the game as fast and crazy and melee but it may take a 1 or 2

Neko06

Smash Cadet
I try to be gentle, but people still want to turn this into an intolerant "us vs them" argument. But that's the internet for you.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
I feel you 100% my man, and let me assure you, i didnt think it was possible for a game to be so easy to play either. But honestly, once you get it you will be surprised when your little sister plays you for the first time with Captain Olimar and beats you by spamming pikmin throw at you. Thats all i can really say if you havent experienced it X_X.

Edit: Sorry for not answering your question entirely, ill give it a whirl...

Its easy for a noob who has the basics down to keep up with a pro, because you move so inredibly slow and the dash dancing system is so messed up, its almost impossible to approach someone catching them off guard. Ive tried so many times. The only character that can catch people off guard but to no use is Sonic. And even then, its obvious what hes doing when hes running at you because he can only grab or dash attack you.
Im pretty sure no one is a pro at brawl yet. Melee...Yes...Brawl...No. Give it atleast a year to start calling someone a pro. Its a totally different game. You cant just transfer your pro status over.

Neko06

Smash Cadet
You shouldn't have too. SyniKal may have started this thread, but he doesn't dictate what you can and should say.
Perhaps, but I don't see any reason to argue with someone with apparent mod powers over something so trivial as not double posting. And while I'm not the one concentrating on items, I do think they're relevant to the discussion and Brawl discussion in general, and it won't stop me from discussing them in the future should I see the need to. Maybe it would be better to discuss experiences with items in Brawl rather than argue about whether they ruin competition, at least until everyone has become familiar with Brawl.

Fletch

Smash Master
@ Original Post...

Very interesting read, I don't really want to comment here because I'm scared about the flame war it will inevitably start, but from what I've seen so far, I think you really have Brawl pegged correctly unfortunately, and barring some new crazy techniques, it appears this game won't be half as good as Melee.

I really hope I'm wrong though.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
I would just like to say that the OP is right,
the game mechanics are inherently restricting.

I would like to say that the OP is wrong that this is inherently bad.

we must include the human element and that mindgames can not be limited with technical restrictions.
Just Look at chess, strict rules on how you can move when. there are almost never more then half-a-dozen good moves avaliable, yet you could spend hours thinking about what posistion you want to be in.

perhaps a easier anaology would be
melee= hockey.
Brawl= Football.

when things are slowed down and you can keep your minds eye on all of the options avalible to you, your mind becomes much more involved instead of relying on muscle memory.

In short, due to the human factor it will still be verry deep, but matches will be less fun to watch and silent wolf may be out of a job ;P

twdfx

Smash Cadet
It's just tough for people to come here and read this when they have spent so long dreaming about how great brawl could be. Many people are in the denial stage, and they should be since they haven't even had a chance to play it.

In a couple months from now this kind of opinion will have a much better reception because the bulk of people who came from the melee camp will be agreeing, as I do.

What's even sadder is how easily brawl could be 'fixed'. If it had been designed around a higher amount of gravity (like high gravity mode, but slightly less, and designed for it so some characters' recoveries wouldn't be crippled like they are in high gravity mode), and if L canceling was still in the mix, then the game would be great. It would be as good as we could hope for.

Anyways, I'd just like to tell you to cheer up.

We still have melee, and I have a feeling we'll be playing it for years to come.

MattVid

Smash Rookie
I don't know why people are getting so down on this game already. It has barely been out a week and people already say "it is crap"? Why? With the depth of this game, it will HAVE to take more time than playing it for "3 hours at a friends house" to fully understand all the mechanics.

Of the "getyourtournament" videos I have watched on YouTube, there are DEFINITE skill differences in the players. Also, knowledge differences in the movesets of the characters. Of course mechanics have changed and some questionable "exploits" have been removed. This game is still going to be great, and a lot of fun, IMO.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just think it is sad to see people already giving up on the game on the first week of release. There is just no way it can be that bad! It is just different, and requires some getting used to.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
I don't know why people are getting so down on this game already. It has barely been out a week and people already say "it is crap"? Why? With the depth of this game, it will HAVE to take more time than playing it for "3 hours at a friends house" to fully understand all the mechanics.

Of the "getyourtournament" videos I have watched on YouTube, there are DEFINITE skill differences in the players. Also, knowledge differences in the movesets of the characters. Of course mechanics have changed and some questionable "exploits" have been removed. This game is still going to be great, and a lot of fun, IMO.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just think it is sad to see people already giving up on the game on the first week of release. There is just no way it can be that bad! It is just different, and requires some getting used to.
If you're going to reiterate the same points that I've addressed time and time again, at least be specific as to who you're addressing your false accusations of pessimism. That way it'll be easier for me to take your post less seriously.

I, for one, never said I was "giving up" on this game and I don't think many people have.

-Kye

Top Bottom