• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sydney Smash Thread - Comrades Of Xeno -

Jaz

Smash Ace
lol i'll never play ntsc i'm a pal fan boy... kirby gets pawned in NTS
aaah guys i may not be able to make it till late, infact not at all, my gridiron team has made the grandfinals... i should be there

sorry guys, jaz has yet again... declined to smash T-T what the **** is going on >.<

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
!!!BI-WEEKLY UPDATE!!!

Right here is the scoop:
Start time: 12 onwards
Finsh time: Maybe around 2-3am.
Bring money to chip in for pizza for dinner if your around at 7.
Bed Status: Unfortunatly full atm, more spaces may open up...TBA though (there are 5 woolongongians who are coming up, only two [maybe three] smash...go figure, and yes Jaz, apparently one of them is Z.)
Time people have to clear out: 9am. I have work
How much this smash meet is screwing me over: Alot! I have an assessment due on that friday that I've yet to start...and probably wont until late thursday night...awesome! However, the show must go on, even if it means I have to force myself to work late into thursday night. Oh and lets not forget that I have work the next day at 9am.
What to Bring: Controller, I need 3 cubes with smash and memory cards, plus anyone who can bring a TV do so I need two extra.

And thats about it for now...My address and directions here is on the first page of this thread, please tell me on MSN or post here if your staying (and if possible how late you are staying).

xeno

Smash Ace
Marth's spike is better in NTSC, so I hear. (I only started spiking with Marth in PAL)
I will bring NTSC smash and check if I have a NTSC memory card =P. I am unable to bring a NTSC compatible cube/wii.. so you guys will have to work that out if you want to play^^.
(NTSC > PAL imo because stronger characters are better)

Kalleria / N64 online: Does anyone here play? I dont want to be vsing with 500 ping.. or does it not matter?

I might not be able to be there until 8? Depending on work/train.
SAVE PIZZA FOR ME

Jaz: Are there other shades of blue for a Fox signature? IE something.. shine like?

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Marths d-air is a spike in ntsc were as its a meteor in pal. Basically spikes have the set distance that you travel at certain % before you can recover from them.

Mem cards dont have different region sets. Same as all the other accessories.

PAL>NTSC btw. I know which fox/sheik I'd rather verse.

edit: as for using ntsc smash on pal systems - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg-FTdrWM6Y

xeno

Smash Ace
I heard someone's memory card was wiped trying to play from a different region.
I'll load the video later. Tried the disc swap method though (no AR available).
I think you have it backwards.. meteor spikes are spikes that stun you automatically for 60 frames -- you cant recover from them. Whereas "spike" just means it hits them downwards.
Right, rather VS. But I'd rather play NTSC Fox/Sheik^^
I actually don't mind PAL heh, but if everyone's playing as Fox/Sheik/Marth/Peach it's all good for NTSC.

Dedu

Smash Lord
[smash]
Oh yeah the INESCAPABLE spike in NTSC. Cant jump out of it or Up B out of it. That was always so cool to watch in marth combo vids. The opponent just falls to his death, unable to do anything... he he. Look up the PAL tier list on top of the international community boards - Sheik is top tier in PAL but she's been nerfed a bit.

I can spike it's just my Marth skills have gone a bit... inconsistent lately. I guess its because everyone else is getting better so it becomes harder to land kills with Marth. Plus seeing Fox/Falco over and over again does drive me crazy as well. So many different ways of approaching them, but for Falco, it makes it harder when he SHLs.

Xeno -I tried Kalleira for a while - just don't like the way u use the keyboard as a controller. Plus Project64 doesn't allow analog features only digital. Ha ha 500 ping? That's like half second lag XD makes a big difference with multiplayer games! Even one - three frame lag can annoy some people when playing on a high technical level.
[/smash]

[meet]
Kulla - I'll have to be dropped to the city instead of sleeping over at ur place XD. Or maybe we all can bring our sleeping bags etc and sleep on the kitchen floor downstairs (jking)

I'll provide a GC and a copy of smash + memory card for this friday but won't get there till like 1:30 - 2pm. Will the carpet cleaners be @ ur place this friday?
[/meet]

[Pokemon]
+ I've been going strong in Pearl. Now thanks to Bulbapedia + Serebii.net I know which pokemon to train for a good team. OMG non-uber-easy-to-catch-through-Slakoth-and-evolve-to Slaking has def got UBER stats but got annoying 'loafing around' ability to it. But its move, Facade makes up for people who want to take adv of its lag...
[Pokemon]

Bjay

Smash Lord
Kulla, would it be possible to come to the meet before 12?

Pokemon related - Team Galactic tune rocks xD

xeno

Smash Ace
Dedu: Well yeah, of course 500ms is bad. That's what I was asking, if there were low-ping games available from Sydney.
Thanks for the test Darkwing. Ok, what's inescapable vs meteor then?
I have a 1337 sig! Props to you Jaz. Thanks!
Combo Turtle, if you send in your DS for repairs I still offer to buy one at used price.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Im not really sure, I jsut know that meteors always send you faster at higher % but are always escapable instantly. I know because i got d-aired by a falcon at over 150% and recovered instantly with a normal jump not even doing an up-b. Falco's d-air is a spike cause you cant cancel it either. Theres something about it in smash discussion somewhere.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Xeno, isn't there a Perth, Western Australia server on Kaillera? That's where I used to play till I got bored.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
stu, hyper beam used to be the perfect move for slaking... but now that it is special based in diamond and pearl its not.. :( but... there is probably another move with huge offensive capabilities that is attack based and makes the user miss a turn, if there is it would be useful on mr slaking

xeno

Smash Ace
Im not really sure, I jsut know that meteors always send you faster at higher % but are always escapable instantly. I know because i got d-aired by a falcon at over 150% and recovered instantly with a normal jump not even doing an up-b. Falco's d-air is a spike cause you cant cancel it either. Theres something about it in smash discussion somewhere.
That explains how Fox survives Gannon's d-air on Yoshi's Story in Shined Blind.
I'll look up information about %s.

Bjay

Smash Lord
lol ComboTurtle, there's a Physical alternative move to the now Special Hyper Beam, so don't worry. ;)

PS: Mr. Monkey, how are those Singles videos going?:D

Bjay

Smash Lord
Awesome :D Join in on the fun! Are you going to Kulla's meet btw ComboTurtle?

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
ME!

Dedu can't make it, so I still have at least one seat available.
And I do say its a comfortable spacious seat. :)

Having a manual drivers lisence is a bonus but not required (sounds like a job ad now).

Bjay

Smash Lord
Shoutouts: (Cause I like to, and like 'em)

Kulla - Thanks for hosting as per usual, had fun waiting for other smashers to arrive by playing Pokemon xD Also sorry I couldn't give you my all in our smash matches, being sick sucks, cheers for letting me stay despite I'm sick and persistent, hope you don't get infected >.< Let me know in 3 days, also thanks for the open offer to let me crash over, though I didn't end up doing that lol.

Dedu - Stu, you attempted to go Uber on me and I still somehow won hehe, also for smash matches, I enjoyed our close ones, we both had like 3 stock victories and somehow caught up in the end making it one stock, shouldn't have happened though, as my condition :(

Funky - cheater uberhaxomgwtfbbqz? :p I don't think I played you much...maybe just a couple of matches? :( Yeah, my resting was awesome wasn't it? *sleeps* lol -_-zZzzZ

Keeno - Arrr, FALCO, it was too much. :p Young Link too, I didn't play you enough either, shame, there's always next time. ;D

Sanc - Jigglypuff is sooooooooooo evil. Least when I'm sick ;D glad to play a few matches with you again, but yeah, sorry about the mess-ups -_-

Pat - Berimbau :p haha jk pat, i didn't get to play you enough either, always next time though believe it.

Wollongong Guys Who Got Lost On The Way xP: - There's 3 of you, could only remember one..Tyler I think it was :p Didn't get to know you guys as I was pretty much dead by the time the smash was almost over, but glad to we got to have matches at the last minute, you guys should come to the upcoming tournament, you'll do great!

Chicken Salad - 2 matches, 2 horrible matches with my awful delayed timing :( but what's new, we don't get to play each other often =P Sorry if I make you sick xD

No. 13 - Mic, man we didn't play at all. :( Next time k? Cheers for giving me a lift back home too again, lifesaver lol.

Man I just don't shut up do I? :p

Jaz

Smash Ace
good work guys keep up the efforts!
i hope everyone is improving, the tourny is coming up soon

brinton... is there a chance of getting a ranking system going, if everyone has any objections to the idea voice them ^_^ but some people find it better to work towards something, like a ranking... keeping in mind, these rankings shouldn't be taken too seriously...

i don't want people referring to each other as numbers and sh*t lol, i'm sorry, you can't even look in my eyes number 13, you forget i am number 11!

feedback?

Bjay

Smash Lord
Everyone's improving fo' sho'. ;)

In terms of ranking system, great idea Jaz, though you'll always have to expect that while 95% of us won't take it too seriously, there always will be a minority that will, but it's not the end of the world.

Speaking of Brinton...where's those single videos? :p *nagnagnagnag*LOL jk

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
oh my god, i hate you all so much. i have an english essay due tomorrow, 1500 words, so i figured id check up smashboards quickly....spent half an hout reading the posts ive missed. grrrrrrrrr! p.s. from now im pretty good in terms of meets, i can probs come to most, so please tell me over msn or phone (if u have my phone).

p.s. i actually <3 u guys. i was lying.

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
tentative ranking system:

jaz
pat
funk
beej
simon
stu
sid

NB these are my opinions of difficulty of opponents for me. i think these are the only guys i have played enough to judge this. maybe not even sid, havent played u much.

dont hate me :p im just being honest. id like to see what other people think

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Heh, both of those rankings are tiny and a bit off I think, there are alot of smashers out there that have yet to meet all the others (one part of being the host of Bi-weeklies is that I've played alot of them). Now I'm not going to attempt to rank anyone, though I know where they all stand against me...well mostly.

In anycase I suppose tourneys are the only way to really judge, and even then, its not really that accurate as two players can never meet throughout the entire event, thus never be compared. Not to mention a good player could just be so unlucky to go up against two of his betters staight up and get eliminated, and therefore have a really low ranking...If anything any ranking system would be a estimate, rather then completly accurate.

And speaking of tourneys, I probably wont be able to make the next S3, due to uni and work issues, sorry guys, and sorry Pat your going to lose your doubles partner.

Ontop of this, I'm not going to be able to host the next two bi-weeklies, as uni is starting to heat up, and I can't dedicate entire days to smash, so I'm hoping that someone else will pick up the ball and run with it as a new host for a bit (though people have been doing that already anyway). I could make an appearance at a meet, but only for a short period of time...In anycase I will probably be at melbourne for anyone else who is going, and that will probably be the next big smash thing I'll go to.

But yeah Friday was a good meet, thanks to everyone who came, and I hope you all had some good matches. Look foward to playing you all again soon.

Kulla out.

Dedu

Smash Lord
In anycase I suppose tourneys are the only way to really judge, and even then, its not really that accurate as two players can never meet throughout the entire event, thus never be compared. Not to mention a good player could just be so unlucky to go up against two of his betters staight up and get eliminated, and therefore have a really low ranking...If anything any ranking system would be a estimate, rather then completly accurate.
So true. I got crap rankings in tourneys that showed how flawed a double elim ranking system can be. For example I versed Keeno in the first tourney and that put me in the losers then I versed Bjay after defeating El Sid. My ranking in that tourney was like 9th out of 13 people. The second tournament revealed a ranking of 13 out of 27 people - I got beat by Keeno in the losers when I thought he'd go through in the winners and appear later in the losers bracket not early onwards... FYI more than half the people in this tourney were new players and they took up to like 10th place in the tournament. *When I shoulda been in 9th rank (this is a rant)*

BTW, We could stick to Double Elim for the next tourney or trial a swiss system (more battles but better ranking system) that leads to a double elim of the top 8 players. (Just like what CoA2 is going to do.)

Oh and I <3333333333 Fonti for his opinion on my placement in his ranking system. Peace out... V

Bjay

Smash Lord
lol Stu, your post made me laugh when you talked about Fonti in your last sentence. :p

Berimbau

Smash Journeyman
possible ranking list

jaz
phil
kulla/bjay
chicken salad (hes hard!)/keeno
sanc/mic/fonti
dedu/xeno
everyone else
funky

:D

Dedu

Smash Lord
WTF Funky down below? O rly?

W/e I'll post mine for the fun of it.

Ranking
1st: Everyone else in Sydney that I can't beat
2nd: Me
3rd: Those I can beat
4th: Those who I haven't versed yet. (Including SephirothKen)

Jaz

Smash Ace
well! a good response, it occurred to me that this ranking system should be ranked on tourny results, seeing as people should only be judged under a competetive atmosphere, no point letting the world know person X is better then person Y if he can't perform under pressure am i right?/

just thought i'd throw that into the mix

these rankings shouldn't be used outside of tournies anyway...

Dedu

Smash Lord
LOL for sure.

Jaz ur rite - I guess I gotta agree with what u said about person X better than person Y in friendlies but not in tourneys. Bit like Aniki beats Ken in friendlies but Ken beats him any day in tourneys.

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Going straight into double elimnation is never the best thing.

Either the Swiss system OR pools are better I reckon.

At Comrades I first up got Mikul (Who got 7th or something) and then Tristan (3rd place).

ALSO: Still looking for someone/s to join me on the drive down to Melbourne.
If you want. :confused:

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
The swiss are too good =o

Imagine a tourney with NO JOHNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =o it's happened before, it was seat2

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
haha stu. i couldnt tell whether you were being sarcastic or not. if you werent, i didnt mean any offense by it. only that i beat you more often than i beat the people above you. didnt mean any offense :p

and these rankings cant be wrong. theyre all personal opinion.

ps i still hate you guys. its almost 1am and i have a psych assignment due today.

pps i actually still love you guys. i was lying again.

esp. cao. <3

Top Bottom