• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sydney Smash Thread - Comrades Of Xeno -

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
haha and also, tourney ranking results ftl. id be like, last in sydney haha. lose once (**** you chickensalad) then pull out due to illness.

actually, thats good. itll be even better when someone ranked like 15th wins. muahahaha

no.13

Smash Cadet
yeah. a ranking system is definately the way to go. not only does it give us bragging rights until the next tournament but it serves to increase competitiveness and your motivation to improve skillz.... bragging rights FTW!

in concerns to current ranking.. im with jaz - following the tourney results. after all it was an official tourney. though double elimination from the go doesnt give us the difference in skill between players outside of the top 5. that swiss system is sounding pretty sweet rite now

Bjay

Smash Lord
Less than 14 days till S3 Squared tourney :p

any meets this week guys? This time I should be able to play more,

the last 2 meets were just = x.x for me. as I wasn't well :(

But this time yeah :D I'm starting to recover! Believe it!

Dedu

Smash Lord
WHOA! less than 14 days before S3 Squared? OMG I don't believe it! And for CoA2 I just never seem to be hesitant to get a flight ticket down to melbourne coz I don't know what everyone is doing... Jaz what are your plans for melbourne? We should talk this over MSN.

Bjay - hope you're fully recovered by the end of the week.

BTW I wonder how many people are coming to both S3^3 and CoA2...

[pokemon related]
I FINALLY CAUGHT THAT MUTHA****IN' BUGGER MESPRIT!!
:laugh: Big thanks Bjay for suggesting Gengar with Mean Look and Hypnosis. Tried many different ways of catching it and then finally I hit in one with the Quick ball when Mesprit was asleep and a few pixels away from being dead. And about 20 game resets. Now I only have Azelf to worry about. Hopefully should be caught by tonight. Then I have Cresselia to worry about (later in game + another Mesprit runner *sigh*)
[/pokemon related]

Bjay

Smash Lord
LOLZOZLZLZLZ at Stu's success in Pokemon xD Woo and I'm a part of it :p

Oi no using thingies when we're battling next time :p

Dedu

Smash Lord
lol I'll prolly use one or two of them to try them out in battles when I finish the game but that'll take a while.
BTW I caught Azelf much faster than I expected. Dusk ball FTW!

C0d3M0nk3y

Smash Apprentice
Okay, it's confirmed and I'm lazy - so here we go!

Hey folks,

After the popularity of our last tourney EGG will be holding another one, so get those combo's polished and ready to smash!

What: SSBM Tournament
Where: Concourse, UTS, Sydney
When: Sunday May 27th
9:00 AM - Free play + registration.
12:00 PM - Doubles tournament begins.
4:00 PM - Singles tournament begins.
7:00 PM - Tournament close, free play.
8:00 PM - Close of doors.
Cost: $5 per person (singles), $10 per team (doubles)

A full ruleset can be read at http://egg.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1667, but the abbreviated version is no items and only some stages can be played. We're expecting at least 30 people this time around so don't be shy and come have some fun!

Please post questions/comments/attendance.

nesis

Smash Cadet
I really hope my uni assignments are all due before the next tourny. I haven't had time to play smash since I last posted, let alone make it to any meets <_> So much ****in' uni work.

Oh, wells. If I can't make it, have fun guys :D

Jaz

Smash Ace
a swiss system aye, ok lets set it up!, in this tournament i want accurate rankings if we have them and we should try the swiss system seeing as cao endorses it and has organised tournaments around the world if he trusts it, so do i
i forget how it works to be honest, Stu my Melbourne plans are that I've booked a flight and I'm waiting for kulla and pat to organise things, such as when they are coming, etc

Brinton, i vote we use the swiss system, if it is reliable than why not,, however we'll need to efficiantly organise this, just like we run singles matches while doubles finals are on for time economy

so i need to talk to... anyone about the swiss system and brinton

Berimbau

Smash Journeyman
me and kulla will probably be there around friday - monday/tuesday. we are flying, yet to book tickets.

Jaz

Smash Ace
okay talked to brinton, here are the pros of the swiss system we'll be using,

more pressured smash games, everyone playing a minimum of 10 matches
a fairer ranked tournament, that we can put toward rankings
the following schedule will be updated to first post, and has been made with the knoweldge people are travelling a long way to get to the tournament.

numbers will also account for any tweaks to the schedule

12 noon start, registrations must be completed before then. other wise the whole tournament will be delayed, if people are only participating in singles and know they are coming late, talk to me and i'll see what i can do...

Doubles will be played in double elimination, Singles in the new and improved swiss format

12:00pm - 3:00pm Doubles double elimination
15min break
3:15-5:15 Swiss qualifiers, 5 rounds of 2 matches
15min break
5:30-7:00sigles 8 man double elim bracket finals

now i would like to start the tournament at 11 to be honest, but i can understand if that inconveniences people who live far away, also this schedule is a rough indicator if we have with big numbers in mind, if we have fewer numbers

anyway feed back would be great, things like, whats the earliest time you can come and latest time you can leave would be handy for those travelling a fair way

C0d3M0nk3y

Smash Apprentice
with the ratings system, i'm currently hand-calculating everyone's ratings from our very first tourney in april.

after our first event, rankings stand at:

Code:
Jaz			1079.6
funkyseefunkydo		1047.1
Berimbau		1044.5
LazyLobstar		1032.7
Mic			1002.1
Keeno			1002.0
Meteor Master		1001.4
Chicken Salad		1001.3
Comboturtle		998.6
Chao			985.4
Dedu			985.4
One ova kind		985.4
El Sid			969.4
Genn			969.4
Izshinguns		969.4
Nickname		969.4
That guy over there	969.4
since there were only about 5 games per person on average, it's not too accurate yet but the top few are starting to fill out.

quick guide to ELO
everyone starts off with 1000 'points'.
as you play a game, your rating will increase or decrease depending on whether you win or lose.
the amount that your rating will change depends on the gap between the two players.
e.g. if two similarly-ranked players play, their ratings will move much more than people will significant rating gaps. also, if you manage to beat some with a much higher rating than you, you get a bigger boost (and vice versa if you lose).

C0d3M0nk3y

Smash Apprentice
okay, ratings after S3 no. 1.

Code:
Pat			1108.9
Jaz			1096.1
LazyLobstar		1062.3
Phil			1055.1
Chicken Salad		1046.9
Funkyseefunkydo		1039.2
Kulla			1033.0
Evanater		1013.4
Sanc			1005.7
Mic			1004.0
Meteor Master		1001.4
Nate			1000.5
Aaron			1000.3
Xeno			1000.2
Keeno			999.9
Mercury			999.4
Comboturtle		988.0
Special K		986.5
Genn			984.1
Glue			984.1
Chad			984.1
Dedu			972.0
Dean			969.5
El Sid			969.4
Izshinguns		969.4
Nickname		969.4
That guy over there	969.4
Jib			969.4
Kristy			969.4
C0d3_M0nk3y		968.8
Brown one		968.7
Bec			968.1
One ova kind		956.3
q & a
why is my rating so low? why am i ranked lower than 'xxxxx'? i think i should have a higher rating, etc etc etc
the ELO system works on using a lot of data to determine your overall performance. many people here have only 5 or so games, whioch means their ratings won't be spot-on. like i said last time, those nearer the top have a better indicator of their rank since they've played more games.

with a spread of only 150 points across the board we'll have to wait until at least s3 squared (or even the one after that ) to get a clearer indicator of where most of our players are.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Nice ELO ratings, same as Chess :) Pretty reliable, you gotta love that stuff!

In terms of the tournament, yeahh I'm fine with it as long as it runs on time, you know me and time, I'm so fussy, looking at the last tourney, some didn't attend, I do hope some return.

lol who is "Nickname"

Bjay

Smash Lord
Ooh, I think one ova kind's gonna be peed when he finds out his rating/ranking for smash thus far [/far]

xeno

Smash Ace
I am over 1000! This means I am an above average Smasher!
Yay, I'll keep on playing Smash. My dreams are not shattered.
Only about a hundred points from the top.. just a few tourny wins ya know.
Berimbu, I'm coming for you!

Berimbau

Smash Journeyman
Counting on me? >.<

That's not good.

Edit: hmm, i should learn to read. COMING for me! :S

/scared

Bjay

Smash Lord
Out of curiousity, where was this copy and pasted from?

(The rankings)

Bjay

Smash Lord
but the typing seems weird up? o_O

like it's copy and pasted? *hsrug8 and the squareee

Sanc

Smash Cadet
heh At the moment It's not reliable but as people get more active or the smash scene goes on for longer, it should end up rather accurate... Just in the long term. As it is now, it is rather off, especially since it's calculated on only two double elimination tournaments.

xeno

Smash Ace
We should have a series of "Rated games", not even in regards to the tournament. How about flagging friendlies as Rated and passing along the results to Codemonkey? (You tell us Brinton, you're in charge of the rating system).
We could do this AT the tournament. Sorta like a money match, but for reputation.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Some of us don't have time to attend a lot of Smash friendlies though,

e.g. Jaz.

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
bjay, i reckon by "time" you mean "non-laziness"

edit: i didn't see the "jaz" part of that post lol

Dedu

Smash Lord
Xeno - I did think of using the Friendlies as a good way to set up the tournament. Then I realised that due to the number of people attending it would take about half a day to set the rankings up so that we can place people accordingly in tournament mode.

This method is often done in MLG tournaments but they take weeks and subsequently, months, given the huge number of people attending. But we're not MLG organisers here. Just budding amateurs.

Instead of hosting casual friendly meets, we could structure a psuedo tournament (swiss system etc) save the results and give it to brinton to use at the next tournament.

C0d3M0nk3y

Smash Apprentice
actually, calculating new rankings takes me 0.0000000000001 seconds, so if you want to have rated friendlies all you have to do is send me a list like:

player 1 vs. player 2 - player 2 won.

and i can calc new ratings for everyone.

i like the idea of having a friendly swiss tourney - sorta like the open day, with lunch and drinks but there's pressure on you to perform cause it affects your rating.

EDIT: ratings also make seeding a LOT easier - like just fill the draw sheet out in decreasing rank. that way you start playing someone with your own skill elvel

Jaz

Smash Ace
no rankings from the toruniy only

if you want to set up a SEPERATE ranking for friendlies and turn life into a rpg game full of hp stats and skill points go for it ;)

lol a little blunt, but come on, official matches? if its in a tourney, while people are watching you, you're fighting to stay in something you payed for/ proving yourslef... and you think you can emulate that in a casual environment?

thats my opinion anyway

lol fonit i'm allowed to be busy >.<

Top Bottom