• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe SWF Mario Kart Events Thread [Definite Return for Mario Kart 8 :)]

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I'm a bit on the fence about MK8 on if I'll like it or not. Initially, I was not very excited for it. Seeing certain items and elements from MK7 return was kinda bleh; but I guess it's just the way the franchise is advancing. After seeing a lot of the tracks that are going to be included, I can definitely say that from what's been confirmed so far, they definitely have done a better job at picking good retro courses this time around compared to MK7. A lot of the new tracks look pretty impressive as well, I'm just waiting to see how anti-gravity is gonna look, hopefully not nausea-inducing. Also waiting for more character reveals, Koopalings are okay; but definitely want something more exciting.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I doubt all of them will, has there EVER been a Mario Kart sequel were every character in the game came back beside 64/Super Circuit which had the same 8?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I doubt all of them will, has there EVER been a Mario Kart sequel were every character in the game came back beside 64/Super Circuit which had the same 8?
Perhaps not, but one does need to consider that possibility when you take into account that pretty much every Mario Kart roster total value is divisible by 4. And nowadays, the roster totals are divisible by 8.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
uh I didn't really know a thread for mkwii existed in SB.

Gatlin

uh I didn't really know a thread for mkwii existed in SB.
We used to be bigger but then people started becoming inactive. New people are always welcome though! We normally just don't use this thread much since the people who are still around usually just talk in the skype group.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Other than the graphics, the game doesn't really look like MK7, imo. Ha ha.
Everything is basically the same as MK7. Underwater, in the air, item spy, coins. I'm not saying that it's too similar to MK7, I'm saying that it's not different enough from what we've been shown. Yeah anti-gravity is cool to look at but is it really offering anything different? You're basically still racing normally except now you're just upside down. I wish the game had something included that would make it stand out like the special items in MKDD, bikes in MKW, and underwater/air in MK7.

Also, couplings are different but I feel like it's an easy way out for the developers to take up character slots.

I'm just very skeptical about the game. But I'm still going to buy it. Just have doubts.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
We used to be bigger but then people started becoming inactive. New people are always welcome though! We normally just don't use this thread much since the people who are still around usually just talk in the skype group.
Hm I really would like to be a member of that skype group, could you add me on it?

My skype username is Luktrak1.

Gatlin

I saw that as well, highly unfortunate, was at least expecting more than 3 MONTHS nintendo ;_;

This puts a lot of pressure on MK8, hopefully it delivers well.

Shök

Smash Champion
I saw that as well, highly unfortunate, was at least expecting more than 3 MONTHS nintendo ;_;

This puts a lot of pressure on MK8, hopefully it delivers well.
Definitely. I didn't see this coming. Ha ha.

Either way, though, hella excited for MK8. Really unfortunate for the people who still play MKW, though.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I expected them to discontinue their old stuff, but not until all their next gen stuff was out.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So since Mario Kart 8 is out in less than two weeks, we should probably start taking a register of MK8 players, right?

I have the game pre-ordered, so I'll be playing from day one.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I also just wanna say that if we set up tournaments or whatever, I can record things on my end, since I own an Elgato Game Capture HD. I also have very fast internet, so uploading is a dawdle.

I also am capable of replicating the video quality of the actual game on YouTube to a near perfect level, so I assure you the quality will be good. Take this test I did recently, for instance (make sure to crank the resolution up as high as you can):

Gatlin

I have the game pre-ordered as well.

IMO someone should just make a new MK8 events thread.

@ Gatlin Gatlin
I remember when MK7 got released, someone did make a new events thread, and I ended up just merging it back into this one eventually haha. For the community who has been around since early 2011, this thread has like some sort of sentimental value lol. This used to be my favorite thread back when it was active, and I'm hoping MK8 brings back a lot more activity for it. I will definitely be making a new OP though since the current one is all about MKW. What will most likely happen is I'll just move the top 2 posts (MKW and MK7) down a spot and take the OP for MK8 and just shift all attention to that game.

I am also in the group of people who have MK8 pre-ordered. I know @ Shök Shök will be getting it like day 1 as well; and I know a lot of the people who played MKW will be joining back again for MK8, so it should be hype.

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
I'm gonna be out of town when it releases and wont be back until June 8, so I won't be getting it on the release date, but hopefully sometime soon afterwards.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I'm getting Kirby: Triple Deluxe sooner than Mario Kart 8, which could mean too much games to purchase in one time frame for my borrow budget. :p

I expect to get it soon around the timeframe of its launch though. I'll definitely have an online presence. :3

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I doubt it would be difficult, I mean we have years if experience from MKW.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Double post cuz nobody ever talks here anymooooore~

So Ive decided that since MK8 is so close, that Id start planing on hosting a monthly SWF tournament for this game! But since I know other people on this site will be more regular and be more on top or running/creating events (looking at your Travis), Ive decided I'll make my tournament a bit different. What I play on doing is having a monthly Weight Class tournament, where each month I'll randomly choose one of the 7 weight classes, and only characters from that Weight Class can be played! I think it'll allow for players who only play specific characters and such to branch out and play weight classes they normally dont use and such.

And for those of you unsure about what the 7 weight classes are (and what Im calling them until announced cuz I said so and Im the best... lol), this is what they are and who's in them:
Feather: Baby Daisy, Baby Luigi, Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Baby Rosalina, Lemmy, Small Mii
Light: Koopa Troopa, Lakitu, Larry, Shy Guy, Toad, Toadette, Wendy
Royal: Daisy, Peach, Yoshi
Medium: Iggy, Ludwig, Luigi, Mario, Medium Mii
Cruiser: Donkey Kong, Rosalina, Roy, Waluigi
Metal: Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach
Heavy: Bowser, Large Mii, Morton, Wario

The exact ruleset will be determined once I officially start sign ups for the first tournament (and I think Ill probably end up starting sign ups roughly 5 days beforehand) but will most likely be very similar to rulesets we had for MKW; for example: normal items, roulette stage select with no dupes, 4 races per set, etc. I would need people who are willing to host rooms say so while signing up, and give priority on a first call basis, and dependent on who shows up on time. Further priority will also be given to those who have the ability to record matches (and yes, I will be able to do this). Hosts will at the very least be required to screenshot (or take a picture of in some way) the result screen showing the total points after each race (so 4 total pictures each cup). If we exceed 12 people in the tournament and a host gets eliminated, the host privilege will be past down to the next in line who made it to the next round. If there are any questions on specific rules I can answer them, but nothing is set in stone until the sign ups starts. Basic stuff.

And the actual weight class that we be used will be determined RIGHT BEFORE the tournament starts, this way nobody will ever know what to expect! Ooooohhhhhh~

Also, since I said I plan on doing this as a monthly thing, Im going to try doing these MOST LIKELY on every 3rd Sunday of each month at 6pm Eastern Time/3pm Pacific Time, so that means Ill host the first one a little over 2 weeks after the game comes out, which should give enough time for everyone to get at least somewhat accustomed to the game and maybe have a tournament the week or so beforehand with normal rules or something. If Sundays dont work best for you (or if they do, since I want to get a consensus here), speak up and let me know which days of the week would work best, since Id like to decide on the date by June 10th. Either way, it will still most likely end up being the 3rd -insert weekday here- of each month, and in the case of holidays/me being absent, are subject to rescheduling/someone else hosting in my place. Generally expect them to always be at the specified date/time though.

Any questions/comments/suggestions are welcome, and expect me to post a bigger more shnazzy post with better/more in depth info once the game is out/date decided.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Looking forward to this.

For future reference...
Anyone who loses to me sucks.
Anyone who beats me is cheating.
You forgot two others.
You missed the shortcut due to lag.
And anyone who wins with an item clearly doesn't know how to play it right.
That's the DSP way.

Last edited:

Gatlin

But since I know other people on this site will be more regular and be more on top or running/creating events (looking at you Travis)
I'll try my best haha, but back when we used to play mkw I had no job or distractions. But ya, anyone is free to host a tournament, so long as proper results are posted after. We should hold more Skype call tourneys btw :cool:

Speaking of Skype, we do have the group chat where we talk about mario kart like 3% of the time if anyone new is interested in joining. Details are in the 2nd post!!

Gatlin

Finished up with making a [rough draft] version of the MK8 post (check OP). Most of the time was spent finding good images for/and making the headers x-x

Some things I am considering changing/tweaking; but for the moment I am taking a break and just wanted to get it out there before release. I gave a brief description about what each section will contain, similar structure to the previous Mario Kart Wii post, so it shouldn't be much of a change for the people who have been in the MK community for a long time.

Last edited:

Gatlin

Quick question about the tournament series. Will you be using the built in Tournament creation feature in MK8?
I haven't actually gotten to mess with it at all yet, but most likely yes since from what I've heard that is what works closest to how we want it to.

D

Deleted member

Indeed. Pink Gold Peach 2gud.~

Sorry I didn't join for a while. Somehow I wound up joining @Chucklehead Tom after you did.
I was just searching for random games, it ain't my fault. On a side note you are literally the first PG Peach I have seen come anywhere near first this whole day.
I'll get you next time if it's the last thing I do. JUST WAIT UNTIL I PLAY IGGY I SWER ON MI MUM

Last edited by a moderator:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That race on Toad's Turnpike was so unfair. I literally just hugged the crap out of the walls and took a leisurely drive in 1st place with no interruptions at all.

Top Bottom