• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe SWF Mario Kart Events Thread [Definite Return for Mario Kart 8 :)]

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Do you have AIM? Both Skype and AIM are free, as far as I know. Eh, I'll be on in about 45 minutes to an hour.

Edit: give me another 30 minutes. I'm currently working with Gatlin on custom MKW music.

Edit 2: Online now.

3DS FC
1865-2252-2875
GGs mr. Doom.... It was really fun..... Was we playing against people in this thread or other people or both?

:phone:

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I believe we were playing against random players. I really wish to get wrecked in a top tier room since my VR has finally reached 9000 for the third time...

You should, I love when new people join. If you ever wanna, just leave your fc.
Because everyone starts losing the fun value when they keep playing the same people over and over again ;p But, if I get a large chunk of free time I'll let you know.

I believe we were playing against random players. I really wish to get wrecked in a top tier room since my VR has finally reached 9000 for the third time...
How exactly do you even compare a skill level at all (if that is what you mean) in this game? I would think that eventually everyone learns the same routes, the same tricks, and achieves the same consistency, etc. The end result tends to be "Did I get blue shell'd in first place more often than the other top three racers." or something like this.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
It's not whether or not you get arrested by the cops. Heck, the cops rarely show up in top tier rooms. You're going to be hit by well-placed bananas, green shells, and fake item blocks. Cops really don't even matter since the best players are going to be far ahead and the worst are going to be far behind. Furthermore, these top tier rooms consist mainly of people who use Funky/Daisy/Baby Daisy on Flame Runner/Mach Bike/Bullet Bike.

Meh, I find it better to experience the salt by participating in these worldwide races rather than explaining it.

3DS FC
1865-2252-2875
Lol one time I did get hit by a blue shell.... Ended up in 3rd place......

It's not whether or not you get arrested by the cops. Heck, the cops rarely show up in top tier rooms. You're going to be hit by well-placed bananas, green shells, and fake item blocks. Cops really don't even matter since the best players are going to be far ahead and the worst are going to be far behind. Furthermore, these top tier rooms consist mainly of people who use Funky/Daisy/Baby Daisy on Flame Runner/Mach Bike/Bullet Bike.

Meh, I find it better to experience the salt by participating in these worldwide races rather than explaining it.

I did kinda good using diddy on the dolphin dasher.....

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Doom, you wont make a Top Tier room until you reach 9800+ and can consistently stay there, otherwise you get stuck in the 8500-9500 area, which Im assuming youre in now by what youre saying haha.

And Diddy, try picking up the Mach Bike, its far better than the DD. I understand its fun to use and hell, even I use it sometimes, but learn the mach bike and I will guarantee your average VR will increase by 500-1000 immediately.

Also, Doom, if you wanna try and make it to the top rooms, do time trials and practice lines, while racing (even if you dont have a target everytime) when you have an item you need to get rid of, practice hitting fence posts or making naners/fibs land exactly where you want, watch tutorials on glitches/shortcuts and practice them, look up hidden item spots, learn to dodge/predict shocks/pows, etc.

Anyways, lol guess what, my friend has two Wiis and we both played with each other online at the same time, and were able to get both accounts from a fresh 5k start to 9895 and 9976 in a matter or just 5 hours without any hackers lol.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
How exactly do you even compare a skill level at all (if that is what you mean) in this game? I would think that eventually everyone learns the same routes, the same tricks, and achieves the same consistency, etc. The end result tends to be "Did I get blue shell'd in first place more often than the other top three racers." or something like this.
[collapse=My thoughts on MKWii skill]Everyone generally will take the same route yes, it mainly just depends on how well you take these routes, which depends on how good your "lines" in this game are; or basically how fast you go through the course. The best line for any course is the one which will give you the shortest lap time possible. Someone who has practiced a course and has really good lines racing against someone who has mediocre lines will almost always result in them winning the race, clearly. Getting **** on by a hoard of blue shells or whatever can affect this outcome, you are right; but 49 out of 50 times, the good-lines person will win. You will definitely have to factor in the player's knowledge of various shortcuts, all ranging far and wide in terms of difficulty, as well. A prime example being the double on DK Summit, or the lava cut on Grumble. Someone who doesn't perform shortcuts or doesn't perform them well will have a very hard time against someone who does. However, ultra-shortcuts should not be factored into someone's "skill"; and you are an extreme noob who I have lost all respect for if you do them.

Other than lines and knowledge of shortcuts, a person's item-usage has a definite large chunk in terms of their skill as well. Generally in your typical worldwide, you will get a lot of people who have no idea how or when to use their items, and they will generally just do whatever random thing they can come up with, which usually results in spamming good items almost immediately, such as the shock. While this can be annoying at times, it also works to an experienced player's advantage in terms of predicting when shocks will happen. The shock doesn't appear until ~30 seconds into the race, if it or a blue shell appears before then, you are racing with a hacker. Typically, as I said before, when the average player sees that shiny shock in their possession, they are for sure going to spam it right away. This is your opportunity to dodge it with simply just knowing the location of all the item boxes on the minimap, and paying attention to when the bottom 2 positions pass over the first item-box set after the 30 second mark. If you have a power item (Star, Bill, Mega) and you see those bottom spots pass over the item boxes after 30 seconds and you use your item, I guarantee you will have an incredibly higher chance at dodging the shock. This same prediction-rule applies to more experienced players who like to "target shock" others as well. If it has been passed 30 seconds, you are entering lap 3, no shock, 1st place has somewhat of a small breakaway and are approaching the jump to enter the Bowser-room on BCWii... It would probably be wise to use your star or whatever just before they hit the ramp. This is an extremely popular TS-area, and I would not be surprised if a shock were to happen and you were to dodge at all. Predicting and dodging the shock is key.

BACKING away from the shock though, because I could go on about that item forever, creating traps with items such as bananas and FIB's is very useful as well. Generally what I mean by this is placing these items right after corners which are generally taken very tight, or on long sprial-turns such as the ending to BC64. Due to the tightness of these turns, it can be generally easy to get people with whatever item you leave for them to hit. Simply because they do not see the item until it is too late for them to be able to react and dodge it. This doesn't only work with stationary items either; and is also possible and potentially easier with backspamming shells as well. However, backspam and traps such as the ones listed above are very easy to predict and thus very easy to dodge at times. You may also get players who place these items slightly wider in anticipation of you going wide to dodge.

ANYWAYS, I could go on about other things like target POW's and blocking certain shortcuts, but I've typed 87x more than I wanted to in the first place xD. Basically, there is skill to this game, and it does vary quite a bit simply on how well the person's lines are, how knowledgeable they are about shortcuts, and how well they know item-usage.[/collapse]

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
[collapse="Z'zgashi, thanks for the information, however you called me Doom."]
[/collapse]
But since you called me Doom twice, I'll have to give you an extra helping of "Get it right."

BSP

Smash Legend
Along with what Gatlin said, you also need to not be a scrub and just go ahead and pick Funky.

Or a heavy at the least.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
@BSP Isn't Baby Luigi viable :p

Also I fail terribly with Heavyweights so none of them for me. :p

/Has totally terrible luck in this game

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yeah Timmy there are can be a few other exceptions like BLuigi, BDaisy, and Toadette, but in general.

BSP

Smash Legend
@BSP Isn't Baby Luigi viable :p

Also I fail terribly with Heavyweights so none of them for me. :p

/Has totally terrible luck in this game
Let me know when you see a room of 12 Baby Luigis or Daisies

Daisy is ok i guess, but heavies are a better choice in general imo.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I HAVE seen a room of 12 Daisys lol. Only other character Ive seen a full room of that wasnt Funky.

And Id say like:
S Tier: Funky, Daisy
A Tier: Rosy, BDaisy, DBowser, Wario, Heavy Mii
B Tier: Bowser, Medium Mii, BLuigi, Toadette, Light Mii
C Tier: Donkey Kong, Birdo, Diddy, Peach
D Tier: Waluigi, Luigi, Dry Bones, Bowser Jr.
E Tier: BPeach, Koopa, King Boo, Yoshi, Mario
F Tier: Toad, BMario

Id say going an S tier youll do best, A tier means youll do well, B Tier is k, anything below that is kinda meh

And if you wanna know my opinion on the Vehicles, I still pretty much agree with my old list. I just skimmed it, and although I feel slightly different on a few vehicles, I still mostly agree. Also, its not ordered in tiers:
**** Tier:
Flame Runner, Mach Bike, Bullet Bike

Still Good Tier:
Spear, Sneakster, Magikruiser, Jet Bubble

Doable Tier:
Dolphin Dasher, Quacker, Flame Flyer, Wild Wing, Mini Beast

Good Luck Tier:
Shooting Star, Jetsetter, Honeycoupe, Piranha Prowler, Sprinter, Super Blooper, Blue Falcon

Garbage Tier:
Phantom, Standard Bike L, Standard Kart L, Standard Bike M, Zip Zip, Standard Kart M, Standard Bike S, Tiny Titan, Standard Kart S

Holy **** WTF Are You Doing Tier:
Wario Bike, Offroader, Sugarscoot, Classic Dragster, Daytripper, Bit Bike, Cheep Charger

It's Funny Cuz Baby Mario Tier:
Booster Seat

3DS FC
1865-2252-2875
I normally use diddy with dolphin dasher.... I guess I can try using the Mach Bike..... And I was actually doing kinda good using the dolphin dasher.....

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
if you wanna be the very best like no one ever was. you use funky

that reminds me the boards needs a :funky: emote

Gatlin

Currently racing, if anyone not in the Skype chat would like to join me.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Hey I think I might be free this weekend.

So Ill host friendlies/fun rooms either Friday or Saturday night.

Thread title please.

BSP

Smash Legend
So as far as I know, no wifi for me here :( I'll keep searching, but consider me inactive now.

pre-return johns

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If the Wii U can play Wii games, then that might be my best chance of being able to play lol. So maybe around Nov 18th, who knows.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
what they need is an adapter so that you can plug a gcn into a wiimote like a classic controller and the wii would just think its a classic controller.

button layout changes would not be an option but I think its possible/just an idea

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Honestly though, GC = Classic, just more people are used to GC. Id even argue that the layout on Classic is better for smash due to the option to switch around controls, the fact that more buttons are closer to each other, and the extra shoulder buttons. I know with GC I dont even use the B button outside of Dragonic Reverse (a Yoshi AT which you need to input 3 different moves in 7/60ths of a second to do) due to it being so far away, and I switched my Special Attack button to X, so I only need X, Y, and A. And when I play Bowser, I NEVER use B lol.

I also know that GC and Classic are super easy to interchange on MKW, I used to do the tournament events with Classic cuz I couldnt figure out how to use GC for them (I have now though) and after about 5 mins, I couldnt really feel a difference.

Gatlin

Since my GCN's control stick randomly decided to be ******** and started backspamming every single item without me holding back, I've been forced to use my CCPro as it's my only controller left. The transition was actually kinda hard for me, lol. It's a LOT lighter and smaller and it's a very noticeable difference to me, especially with the main texture of the controller feeling different as well. Now though after using it for some time I really like it and feel it's improved my control a bit. :U

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Wii U is going to be for Smash 4 as soon as thats out.

And seriously, Classic is great, I dont see why people dont give it a chance.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I use the Classic Controller for Brawl. As for Mario Kart Wii though, I'm more adapted to the Wii Wheel than any of the other control schemes. In fact, it's really when I play Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, where I use the GameCube Controller.

Gatlin

Box said he'll be down for friendlies possibly tonight and/or tomorrow, so there should be others willing to play. I'm usually always willing, just lemme know when.

Top Bottom