• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe SWF Mario Kart Events Thread [Definite Return for Mario Kart 8 :)]

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Can't, my sister is celebrating her birthday tonight and then I'm going to see the avengers.

Otherwise I would :(

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
One should really always anticipate a Blue Shell while being in first place, but only after the 30 second mark, any blues which pop up before then are hacked. If I should ever be in first with a mushroom or star, I will keep it for the whole duration of the race until the end if I have the ability to. Unless someone calls out that they have the Shock and whatnot.
I do agree with this, although it does seem that it's easy to lose items to POWs and Lightnings before they're useful to dodge a God Shell. I've had 'Shrooms and Stars before while in first, and kept them just to dodge a Blue, just for a POW to appear, forcing me to use my item before I want to. Probably just bad luck, I guess.

I disagree with this. If you are in a room with people who are trigger-happy with their Shocks, it can actually become a whole lot less random than you think in terms of dodging.

1. Shock only spawns in 6+ player rooms.
2. It is only obtainable in the bottom 2 positions.
3. Shock can spawn the earliest at 30 seconds into the race.
4. Shock can only respawn after 30 seconds of being used.

You should know where the Item Boxes are on the mini map for sure as well. If you have the privilege of having a Bullet Bill or Star, and it is passed the 30 second mark and no Shock has been initiated, then you should be strongly anticipating one of the last place people to get it. Not gonna lie, a lot of the time in worldwide rooms, people are really stupid and careless with their Shocks. Unless you are racing with people who actually know what they are doing, then the person who receives the Shock will almost always immediately use it. This is key to remember, since triggering your Bullet or Star after the last place people have passed the item boxes will greatly increase your chances of dodging the Shock. Also know that a lot of people like to chain the Shock with the item boxes in attempt to get a Golden and whatnot.

It is done by accident at times yes, but there are ways to predict the Shock and dodge it successfully as well.
This holds true for WWs, but aren't users of Lightning smarter during clan battles? It seems once they get a shock, they'll wait and observe people to see if they have Stars or Bills, and then launch the shock the instant they know there are no Stars to be had, or when a Star user's invincibility is over. That's my experience anyway, and I tend to do the same thing with my shocks, except I like launching them during jumps.

Yeah POW's are garbage.
Define "garbage". "Garbage" as in not useful at all, or "garbage" as in it sucks when it's used against you? Maybe both?

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
This holds true for WWs, but aren't users of Lightning smarter during clan battles? It seems once they get a shock, they'll wait and observe people to see if they have Stars or Bills, and then launch the shock the instant they know there are no Stars to be had, or when a Star user's invincibility is over. That's my experience anyway, and I tend to do the same thing with my shocks, except I like launching them during jumps.
Clan wars it depends on who has the shock; and it's also what I meant by people who know what they are doing. Most of the time you'll be in a call with other people you are playing with, and they'll tell you when to go into a dodge if you have one. If the other clan has one, well then it's all luck on whether or not you dodge, but chances are you won't. Basically gotta pay attention to the opponent clan and see when their people go into dodges and guess.

Sol Diviner said:
Define "garbage". "Garbage" as in not useful at all, or "garbage" as in it sucks when it's used against you? Maybe both?
Well. I meant garbage originally as it sucks when one happens since it forces you to use your items. They aren't a terrible item though if you are using it against opponents for this reason.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
POW Blocks truly are a menace, since they can easily mess up the timing with your drifts, which can cause you to fall into an abyss. Good thing that they were ditched.

At least for the Spiny Shells, in Mario Kart 7, they can't cause you to lose your items, unless they're already out. But the fact that they can plow right through you can be quite annoying when you actually need them to get back on top. Grounded or flying, there's always a catch between those two.

BSP

Smash Legend
POW block is bad for come backs, but it is really good for messing people up people in turns like you said

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Honestly, I'm glad they got rid of POW Blocks in 7. Another thing I'm glad about is the fact they got rid of the Fake Item Blocks. They were great in MK64, as they can block even Shells. Afterward, they just became dead weight, much like the Blooper (which is still in Mario Kart today).

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I'm not even gonna answer that.

What time you guys wanna play today since it's race night?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Understandable. Although, in my defense, this thread does cater to MK7. Still, if you're tired of it, I'll only discuss it with those who remain interested.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
In a good room with Gatlin if anyone wants to join :3
edit still playing but not in a good room :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
@POWs are garbage: POWs are dodged just by simply being airborne, if you see a POW coming, just go off a ramp or over a bump on the track or something. While a lot of the time it's unavoidable, so are a lot of other items, and the fact that this item can be avoided without even needing an item is why I dont feel its broken by forcing a drop.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Technically, it can be played online.
Really? Is it anything similar to Smash 64's online? It must be interesting to play SMK that way.
@POWs are garbage: POWs are dodged just by simply being airborne, if you see a POW coming, just go off a ramp or over a bump on the track or something. While a lot of the time it's unavoidable, so are a lot of other items, and the fact that this item can be avoided without even needing an item is why I dont feel its broken by forcing a drop.
We're not really saying they're broken. We're saying they're very disruptive, and can mess with someone in 1st who may be saving a Mushroom or Star for a God Shell that might be on the way at a later point. Yes, they can avoid it via being airborne, but that opportunity isn't going to always be there on a whim, and that's the point we're trying to make. Goodness knows the POW Block isn't good for much else.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Never said anyone said it was broken, was just saying why i think its balanced.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Never said anyone said it was broken, was just saying why i think its balanced.
Oh, well it's definitely balanced, though that certainly doesn't stop it from being an annoyance, and if used strategically, can really mess with people in clan wars:

- 1st place in Clan A has a mushroom
- 5th place in Clan B has God Shell
- 1st place can easily dodge shell using 'Shroom
- 6th place in Clan B has POW Block
- 6th place in Clan B uses POW Block, and 5th place launches God Shell as POW Block gets to work
- 1st place in Clan A loses Mushroom, be it through force of use, or by dropping it
- God Shell strikes defenseless 1st place with the fury of 1000 Duke Nukem/Odin fusions

By itself, it's not really special, but with the right coordination, it can be very useful. Though, I suppose the same can be said for nearly all other items.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Thats just a good plan on Clan B's part lol. But you have to remember that ALL the rest on Clan B are losing their items as well.

BSP

Smash Legend
Oh, POWs are even more of a pain if you're already stopped. It pretty much doubles your down time >.>

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You sound like MSG Sol lol. But anyways, I just find POWs good maps that have a few turns like SNES MC3, DKJP, and RR to name some.
Thanks... I guess?
Oh, POWs are even more of a pain if you're already stopped. It pretty much doubles your down time >.>
I do agree with that, although I don't think that happens too often to be that much of a menace, does it?

Shök

Smash Champion
In clan wars, some of the underrated items can actually have some very good uses. POW, Bloopers, etc.

BSP

Smash Legend
One day, we've got to get a room of 12 Funky Kongs. I've gotten close, but I've never had an entire room of Funky. I bet it's epic :cool:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Bloopers on moonview second lap beginning section are broken. Especially if other people are backspamming.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
This happens to me all the time lol. And Sol, the reason it happens is because everyone throws their stuff when they see POWs coming, or they chain it after something else, which means you are likely to be hit right before the POW goes off.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
In clan wars, some of the underrated items can actually have some very good uses. POW, Bloopers, etc.
Bloopers on moonview second lap beginning section are broken. Especially if other people are backspamming.
Bloopers have their uses, though I imagine them to be most useful on specific tracks, like Moonview Highway. Otherwise, I feel it doesn't cloud vision enough to be that threatening.
This happens to me all the time lol. And Sol, the reason it happens is because everyone throws their stuff when they see POWs coming, or they chain it after something else, which means you are likely to be hit right before the POW goes off.
True enough, though I imagine the item that does strike tends to be Red Shells, I take it?
One day, we've got to get a room of 12 Funky Kongs. I've gotten close, but I've never had an entire room of Funky. I bet it's epic :cool:
All I can imagine is hearing, "Ololololololololay!", "Wooohoo!", "Dashaa!", "Hopnot!", "Yo!", "Ahaaa!", etc..

Top Bottom