• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
lol, I like the addition of Rule #2's "Any violation of this rule is inexcuseable" in the OP.
*Does push-ups*

Quick question: Usually when I try one-armed pushups, my back cracks like crazy. Do they provide a significantly better workout as opposed to normal pushups? Or meh...? I'm not sure whether I should continue doing them.
I remember trying for the sake of showing off, but unless you have good stability I think you should hold off on doing that as an actual workout. :psycho:

By the way guys, check out the new updated OP. I made it all pretty :bee:

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I was going to mention how I wasn't a monster for that spell card to work, but I've forgot that a Gigas is a monster.

OP gains +60 Pretty Points.

Once I get my abs though, I'll be a beast, nullifying the card's effect.
[/lame joke of the day]

JLynn943

Smash Ace
Alright, so I'll start this off the right way *does pushup*

About me: I'm about 5'10" and weigh 190 pounds. I used to weigh 250, but a combination of going to college on a mountain, having some stomach issues, and eating less poorly (still not good) got me down to where I am now. I've been floating between 180 and 190 for about 2 years now.

I haven't really been doing much to get in better shape. I struggle with having the drive and will power. Aside from walking around campus (usually between 5 and 8 miles over the course of a day), I'm pretty inactive. I'm also pretty weak. That pushup was harder than it should have been :/

Goals: This I'm not really sure about. I know I'd like to lose weight and become stronger. I'm not going to worry about a six pack or anything like that yet. Maybe get down to around 150-160? Then take it from there

edit: 500th post :)

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Tiger woods your a good man.

Do you ever play any of the tiger woods games?

06 is the best.Like the melee of the smash world.(looks around to make sure no one heard that)

Thanks for that workout sound great.Also I don't have access to a gym,but I do have a set of dumbbells.(only like 10-15 kg each though)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yay pictures...but how does this resolve my pull up problem? I tried doing it with the frame thingy on my door and it broke....

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Alright, so I'll start this off the right way *does pushup*

About me: I'm about 5'10" and weigh 190 pounds. I used to weigh 250, but a combination of going to college on a mountain, having some stomach issues, and eating less poorly (still not good) got me down to where I am now. I've been floating between 180 and 190 for about 2 years now.

I haven't really been doing much to get in better shape. I struggle with having the drive and will power. Aside from walking around campus (usually between 5 and 8 miles over the course of a day), I'm pretty inactive. I'm also pretty weak. That pushup was harder than it should have been :/

Goals: This I'm not really sure about. I know I'd like to lose weight and become stronger. I'm not going to worry about a six pack or anything like that yet. Maybe get down to around 150-160? Then take it from there

edit: 500th post :)
Ahh, the ever present struggle with drive and will power. If your having trouble with that, check back regularly here. You can pm me whenever too. For the first few weeks i recommend following this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/schedbeginning.htm

This guy is pretty amazing and his workouts work... :)

Tiger woods your a good man.

Do you ever play any of the tiger woods games?

06 is the best.Like the melee of the smash world.(looks around to make sure no one heard that)

Thanks for that workout sound great.Also I don't have access to a gym,but I do have a set of dumbbells.(only like 10-15 kg each though)
I play real golf for fun, but I'm HORRIBLE at golf video games. As for the dumbbells that should be fine; free weights and a floor can get you some of the best exercises. It's late over here.... pester me until I hand you a good workout/site :chuckle:.

Yay pictures...but how does this resolve my pull up problem? I tried doing it with the frame thingy on my door and it broke....
I'm not really sure what to say ... =S ... There has got to be a bar somewhere... >_>" ...

Don't use a shower bar though. It wont end well. *Knows from experience.*

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Lol... I think I may skip the pull ups if it doesnt bother... I know its important but my parents dont have the money these days to buy stuff willy nilly... can I just skip THAT exercise?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
GOD. YES. @ THIS THREAD.

I was hoping for a rebirth. Thanks Tiger ;)

------

Anyway, about 6 months ago I started joining the gym. I'm the ectomporh/hardgainer variant, lanky and what have you. For my height of 5'9 or 5'10 I weighed about 136 pounds before I started a program at my city gym. Now I'm sitting on about 155 pounds with similar amounts of body fat to when I started (approximately 4.0%). So it's all good news with lean muscle growth. However, the time I started working out I also started eating really heavily, so in the last month I added 1.5 inches, which is disproportionate to the rest of the growth in my arms and legs. So I'm doubling my core work in hope of a better weight distribution. :)

One of my friends (who works at the gym) says ab/core exercises aren't that necessary as most of your other exercises complement your core if you do them properly. This includes the usual seated leg press, chest press, leg curls etc etc. What are your thoughts of this?

Maybe before Christmas I'll put up some before and after photos. :)

My target is to hit 165 before Christmas. That'll be amazing. Then I'll decide if I want to continue further.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
GOD. YES. @ THIS THREAD.

I was hoping for a rebirth. Thanks Tiger ;)

------

Anyway, about 6 months ago I started joining the gym. I'm the ectomporh/hardgainer variant, lanky and what have you. For my height of 5'9 or 5'10 I weighed about 136 pounds before I started a program at my city gym. Now I'm sitting on about 155 pounds with similar amounts of body fat to when I started (approximately 4.0%). So it's all good news with lean muscle growth. However, the time I started working out I also started eating really heavily, so in the last month I added 1.5 inches, which is disproportionate to the rest of the growth in my arms and legs. So I'm doubling my core work in hope of a better weight distribution. :)

One of my friends (who works at the gym) says ab/core exercises aren't that necessary as most of your other exercises complement your core if you do them properly. This includes the usual seated leg press, chest press, leg curls etc etc. What are your thoughts of this?

Maybe before Christmas I'll put up some before and after photos. :)

My target is to hit 165 before Christmas. That'll be amazing. Then I'll decide if I want to continue further.
:laugh: I wouldn't ditch you guys would I?

You seem to being doing well, so Hurrah for you! Anyway being skinny beforehand is one of the best ways to get ripped fast, as adding muscle is your only major problem. Please do remember when it comes to working out there is no such thing as "extra credit." Doing twice as much wont necessarily help if you don't give yourself adequate rest!

Your friend has a point, as almost all major exercises cover the abdominal region. It's not really necessary per se, but you can speed up the 6 pack process with them. :chuckle: Abdominal exercises should not be your main focus, but it is still important. They are kind of like AT's in smash; they are flashy(beach stud/bombshell anyone?) and can help, but not exactly necessary. Also, core exercises can help reduce the risk of injury and can help prevent lower back problems when you retire. :p

Now please note it is tecnically only possible to gain aproximately 5-7 pounds a year(unless you are still growing....thanks Chaco!) So you wont exactly reach your weight at Christmas. Although, you'll be pretty darn close. :)

Btw this should be stickied... would help with the health of smashers here
Hmm, if this swells I'll ask for a sticky. I'll keep quiet for now unless the mods want to(heck theres mods in here :laugh:).

Pikaville

Im finding the leg lifts incredibly difficult,otherwise the other ab exercises are great(Id did them last night and my stomach kinda hurts today so thats good)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Main thing with leg lifts for me always was making sure to use a bench instead of the floor, and reaching back behind you to hold the bench. It allows you to perform the leg lift with a lot better form.

And yeah, no problem Tiger. With the exception of some guys who gain muscle really fast, they can gain around 10.

I guess I should do a bio now. Heh.

I'm currently 5'8" and approx 122.4 lbs. I haven't seriously worked out until recently in which I finally decided to because my friends got me into it, and plus I'm pretty naturally muscular and girls like that. So it's incentive. Plus it makes me feel great. My most defined areas are my forearms, abdominals, and legs. Those are all fairly natural and with sports it's helped them develop. My forearms are almost as big as my biceps, which really needs to be fixed. So I'm working on that. I'm fairly strong for my size, I can throw people of around 160 0r my shoulder easily and carry them. But eh, as far as work out plans. I'm kinda varying at the moment, and trying to eat more healthily.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Im finding the leg lifts incredibly difficult,otherwise the other ab exercises are great(Id did them last night and my stomach kinda hurts today so thats good)
Most people including myself don't use our lower abs as much as our upper abs. Please don't stop doing them. :) It's a bad idea to stop a difficult exercise, as the difficult ones are probably the ones you are lacking.

If it burns yet is do-able, you should be set in a month or two. =D

Chaco

Never Logs In
Most people including myself don't use our lower abs as much as our upper abs. Please don't stop doing them. :) It's a bad idea to stop a difficult exercise, as the difficult ones are probably the ones you are lacking.

If it burns yet is do-able, you should be set in a month or two. =D
Agreed so much, and you'll hate yourself when you're sitting at a 4 pack and you're lacking the bottom two.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I'm currently 5"9, 150, keep up Chaco :mad:.Haven't been able to join a gym yet with friends(although 4 of them go to the local gym) due to time restrictions but maybe after this year things will get better. For now I'm just working out at home with some dumbbells that still cover every major upper body exercise.

Today's shoulders/traps. :D Hopefully next week I can start doing my old routine on schedule.

Monday: Biceps/back/abs/ cardio
Tuesday: Chest and triceps
Wednesday: shoulders/traps/abs/cardio
Thursday: Cardio and some light sets of abs
Friday: Depending on soreness, I do a very LIGHT(in terms of volume of reps) full upper body work out[biceps, back, shoulders, traps, chest and triceps]

Sat and Sunday I rest.

Pikaville

Oh don't worry ill continue even if it is hard.It will be worth it in a big way.

Like that classic saying "No pain,no gain"

Zero Beat you still playing Halo?(and yes i'm also looking forward MASSively to Mass effect 2):)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Are you just saying it's weak, or do you have a legitimately weak spine structure?

Chaco

Never Logs In
So you have a weak spine structure? Or just weak back muscles?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Back exercises! Try the seated row or Squats with barbells - although this exercise seems to hurt my shoulder-blades and lower back hardcore. I might be doing it wrong but it's supposed to be a little uncomfortable.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Like that classic saying "No pain,no gain"
I love that quote. Usually when I lift weights, I keep going untill I can't take any more pain, instead of counting actual numbers. Sometimes I will for record's sake, though. I personally don't usually like to measure myself in numbers, since in every day usage of the muscles, take for example you move furniture for a living. I wouldn't say "OK, this couch weighs 70lbs, meaning I can lift it five times before I'm done for the day." Well, someone out there might, but that's not how my mind works. I'd just keep moving that couch untill I couldn't handle it anymore. Just my personal perspective on things.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I joined a while back, but didn't exactly stay in it too long 'since I'm bad with internet routines x.x.

Anyways a quick question: I've actually joined a gym recently and try to work out there regularly or whenever I can. I'm trying to lose stomach fat for now, so can anyone give me a good few techniques on how to get it done?

My usual routine isn't so great, I go to the treadmill - esque machine for a bit and then mess around with the machines in the gym. I do sit-ups/crunches at home from time to time to.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Stomach fat is one of the hardest body parts to sculpt. However, a generally well-rounded routine will always benefit the abdominal area, especailly if you stick to it (they don't necessairly have to be ab exercises only); your body will start to distribute its weight more appropriately over time.

It looks like you'll have to priortize your exerices to include more cardio work (boring I know). Weight training and cardio work are somewhat at odds with each other. If your primairly concerned with losing the gut, run at a steady marathon-like pace (low-mid BPM) for a good 20-30 per session and use the machines for weight training only as an afterthought. Try doing running outdoors with an iPod for more fun.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Stomach fat is one of the hardest body parts to sculpt. However, a generally well-rounded routine will always benefit the abdominal area, especailly if you stick to it (they don't necessairly have to be ab exercises only); your body will start to distribute its weight more appropriately over time.

It looks like you'll have to priortize your exerices to include more cardio work (boring I know). Weight training and cardio work are somewhat at odds with each other. If your primairly concerned with losing the gut, run at a steady marathon-like pace (low-mid BPM) for a good 20-30 per session and use the machines for weight training only as an afterthought. Try doing running outdoors with an iPod for more fun.
Heh, they have headphones in the gym which are actually better than mine. But what's concerning me if the machine I do use is good enough. I don't exactly like use a treadmill -- I prefer the pedaled step like machine. Or something like that.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
All of the cardio machines achieve the same purpose in the end, so the best gauge is to check your pulse and keep it steady. I'm not exactly certain on this but hovering your heart rate around 135 beats per minute for a good deal of time (20-30 minutes, with breaks if necessary) would be sufficient.

The pedaled step like machine provides less stress for your feet so it has its benefits :)

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I think Ill start the workout tommorrow when I get back to school. But what are you replacing as my pull ups?u
Pullups use a ton of your shoulder/bac/arm muscles. The below quote from CAOTIC works for you too. =D

Back exercises! Try the seated row or Squats with barbells - although this exercise seems to hurt my shoulder-blades and lower back hardcore. I might be doing it wrong but it's supposed to be a little uncomfortable.
You might be a bit off in your form. Ask someone to look at you while you do it to prevent injury!

Heh, they have headphones in the gym which are actually better than mine. But what's concerning me if the machine I do use is good enough. I don't exactly like use a treadmill -- I prefer the pedaled step like machine. Or something like that.
Welcome back! And if you don't post here for a while I'll hunt you down via pms. :mad:
As for cardio, as long as your heart rate is going up and you're breaking a sweat, go for it.

All of the cardio machines achieve the same purpose in the end, so the best gauge is to check your pulse and keep it steady. I'm not exactly certain on this but hovering your heart rate around 135 beats per minute for a good deal of time (20-30 minutes, with breaks if necessary) would be sufficient.

The pedaled step like machine provides less stress for your feet so it has its benefits :)
You sir are correct. Here, have a ( : : )

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
aight, this seems like a cool thread. SO my name is Chris, Or Forever Zero. Im 19, weigh 140, and am 5'7". Id say im in shape I have definition in my stomach, and am fairly strong for my weight and height. I can bench about 150 or so, and can power clean 180. Most of my working out is done based on my own body weight, i.e. Pull ups, LOTS of pull ups, situps with weights, and push ups. I haven't ran to much lately because school has got me occupied but i hope to start finding some time to. Id mainly like to get a little more muscle on my arms, so ive been doin alot of pull ups, but if anyone has a better suggestion just tell me! Anyways, thats me!

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/85/l_83b20a22e5754078a2bdb94e934ac54e.jpg

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
aight, this seems like a cool thread. SO my name is Chris, Or Forever Zero. Im 19, weigh 140, and am 5'7". Id say im in shape I have definition in my stomach, and am fairly strong for my weight and height. I can bench about 150 or so, and can power clean 180. Most of my working out is done based on my own body weight, i.e. Pull ups, LOTS of pull ups, situps with weights, and push ups. I haven't ran to much lately because school has got me occupied but i hope to start finding some time to. Id mainly like to get a little more muscle on my arms, so ive been doin alot of pull ups, but if anyone has a better suggestion just tell me! Anyways, thats me!

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/85/l_83b20a22e5754078a2bdb94e934ac54e.jpg
Hello and Welcome! First of all, pull-ups are the exercise of the Olympians; it's great stuff! Various pull-up exercises should give you a lot more definition. From your description and picture you seem to be pretty healthy already. Keep doing what you're doing, I guess :laugh:. If you bench/power clean regularly you should bulk up in a bit. Although, don't neglect your legs. I suggest you do some squats/box jumps etc.

By the way that is a pretty cool picture, where were you?

I'm so glad there's so many of you who are interested in this! =D

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Hello and Welcome! First of all, pull-ups are the exercise of the Olympians; it's great stuff! Various pull-up exercises should give you a lot more definition. From your description and picture you seem to be pretty healthy already. Keep doing what you're doing, I guess :laugh:. If you bench/power clean regularly you should bulk up in a bit. Although, don't neglect your legs. I suggest you do some squats/box jumps etc.

By the way that is a pretty cool picture, where were you?
Thanks for the advice, ill keep it up and add some more core into my workout. Im actually really big on rock climbing, so hopefully soon ill start doing that, just gotta get my shoes back.

In the pic I was at a beach in Monterrey, California. I cant remember the name of it, but it was alot of fun!

Edit: Hey do u have any pics Tiger? Id like to see what the big boss of all this looks like haha.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Thanks for the advice, ill keep it up and add some more core into my workout. Im actually really big on rock climbing, so hopefully soon ill start doing that, just gotta get my shoes back.

In the pic I was at a beach in Monterrey, California. I cant remember the name of it, but it was alot of fun!

Edit: Hey do u have any pics Tiger? Id like to see what the big boss of all this looks like haha.
Rock climbing is great(never have before... I must try it sometime).

I'm really glad your getting yourself together quite nicely. Maybe you can help me with the exercise noobs.

As for pictures... I am an elusive being, and I enjoy it. I lurk in the shadows... I shall come forth when the time is right...
Lol my camera doesn't work and I honestly don't have pictures of myself around. I've decided that I shall reveal myself when people start reaching their goals.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Rock climbing is great(never have before... I must try it sometime).

I'm really glad your getting yourself together quite nicely. Maybe you can help me with the exercise noobs.

As for pictures... I am an elusive being, and I enjoy it. I lurk in the shadows... I shall come forth when the time is right...
Lol my camera doesn't work and I honestly don't have pictures of myself around. I've decided that I shall reveal myself when people start reaching their goals.

Ah, makes sense, dont want to become the barometer;)

Rock climbing, imo, is a very good core. It works out your upper body like a beast, but its the inconvenience of not simply being able to just do it right away that makes it difficult to do on a daily basis.

haha, yeah, if u need some help getting things worked out or helping ppl chose core workouts and proper form ill help you. Iv honestly got alot of work to do to meet my expectations, as i want to b a little bigger. But when it comes to being in shape, i know whats up.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
You sir are correct. Here, have a ( : : )
What is it? :grin:

Rockclimbing is the shizz. One of my local gyms has an indoor rock-climbing wall. I want to scale it once I remember how to belay again, haha.

I too shall reveal my newer self once everyone's reaching their goals. 160* baby! (* = revised due to Tiger's advice LOL)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Hai guys :D

I am looking for an ab work out to do at home.

I know sit ups are the obvious choice, but is there anything else ic ould be doing?

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Hai guys :D

I am looking for an ab work out to do at home.

I know sit ups are the obvious choice, but is there anything else ic ould be doing?
http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=124998Hello, I'm glad to have you on board! As for ab work outs sit-ups are actually not that helpful. The last 2/3 of the movement don't do anything for you(besides strain your neck). There is an amazing ab workout on the front page under "Tiger's Tips." Do that 5-6 times a week. Any questions feel free to ask. :)

Top Bottom