• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I hear deadlifts are actually quite good for running, although I'm not sure about distance running.
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/545

I personally dislike machines, I feel it takes out a lot of the work in the exercise. Every motion should consist of different muscles working together, some lifting, and others supporting/balancing. Using machines takes away the coordination, and makes it much easier than it should be. If you want stronger legs, while working your abs at the same time, you should look into doing squats. You don't really need people to spot you for squats and deadlifts, although you do need to make sure you have proper form.
my new best friend.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just a small quick question--While benching, should I be concerned if my shoulder(s) crack? I don't think I recall having that happen during high school, I think it just started to occur recently.
What kinda crack? Like pop my knuckles crack or I just broke a bone crack? Either way, that does sound unusual...Are you warmed up going into the exercise?

Edit: Couldn't do dead lifts or bent rows with this crappy pinky. Too much pain when I up'ed the weight. Any suggestions to alternate exercises for now?

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I actually don't warm up too much. My weight sets are pretty dinky, so I 'figured that they're just about warm ups themselves. But I probably have a problem knowing my personal limitations, as a number of people I know tell me I'm "over doing it". *Shrugs* I'll try loosening up my shoulders beforehand and see what happens.

Benching: 100+/- lbs, 25 reps, 2 sets.

Hope your pinky gets better soon whatever happened to it.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i typically do 2-3 sets lighter than usual for a warm up, then jump into my workout from there. i recommend everyone to do some form of light exercise before starting their actual workout; it prevents injury and you'll lift heavier too.

my right shoulder 'grinds' a little bit during certain movements, although i've never had any issues with it though. in fact, my shoulders would be the only part of my body that i haven't injured lol

if the sound is the only thing bothering you, i'd hazard a guess to say you'll be fine. if you begin to notice any associated weakness or pain with the crack/shoulder, then i'd get it checked out.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
how much is that? i weigh a lot man haha. im still at like 194 lbs. which is weird because ive been working out like mad while eating slightly less.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
im like 230-235. i didn't think u were so heavy

anyways, in terms of proper technique does a pullup require you to start with straight arms and return between each rep?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
yea im freakin dense. also yea thats how i do my pullups. some guys do these half-ups with barely any ROM and some guys kip hardcore (which is not an illegitimate exercise but just not what i consider a pullup). i use hammer grip and do dead hang to thumbs on shoulders.

pullups are totally my favorite exercise, last year for christmas i got a pullup bar from my dad and i use it every single day. best gift ever.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i bought myself one over the summer i think. I've been going all the way up then going down past 90 degrees then back up. And yeah, i like the hammer grip the most, but i try to do the other two ways too

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
My cast came off in October, but couldn't put any weight on my wrist without intense pain. There was a long progression to being able to put any weight on. Each week was like:
1. Heat Therapy
2. Heat Therapy + Assisted Stretches
3. Ultrasound + Heat Therapy + Assisted Stretches
4. Resistance Band Training + Ultrasound + Heat Therapy + Assisted Stretches
5. Leaning on a table + Ultrasound + Heat Therapy + Assisted Stretches
6. Hands and Knees + Ultrasound + Heat Therapy + Assisted Stretches
7. Pushup!!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Congrats bro. I hope your arm returns to full strength sooner then later. My friend had to go through a lot of therapy also after he dislocated his shoulder.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah congrats man. I guess you johned out of the one tournament I might have been able to beat you in a strength contest :p

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Damn. So if you don't mind me asking, have you had your body fat checked? I have no way to check my own, so it would be great to guestimate on what I am based on your numbers.

I need to upload a pic of myself as well.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well it most certainly looks below 15% lol. I used one of those electric handheld ones, and the reading gave me back 12%...which can't be right at all.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yea it is. Well, depends on what your goals are as well. I'm trying to put on weight, but I eat super healthy so I don't go over 20% BF.

Eventually though, I want to be like 170-175 and be at that kind of body fat.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Did I hear someone say FLEX!?

this aint the pretty boy thread!! put some meat on those arms!! :bee: im jealous of your bf tho, i gotta lose like 10 lbs before i start lookin good again.

everyone should put a pullup bar on their xmas list :) its been a year since i got mine and i use it every day!! best gift!!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Wearing compression shorts feels really weird. It didn't feel strange when I wore running tights, but I guess I have to get used to these compression shorts.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I'm not wearing anything underneath. It just feels weird around where it ends...mid-thigh level. Something alongside wearing basketball shorts over it...guess I'll get used to it.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
I hate to spam my own thread with crap but might as well. Yes chill lol. I promised myself in the past I'd never do anything through this site... but against my own better judgement I did.

And I'm happy. lmao.

Ok subject fin on this thread lol. You can message me about it.

@3
And maybe you're just chaffing. Put some lubricant on the thighs if its burning too much. I dunno.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't even know what to think anymore, so I'll just wait for a switch on topic lol.

Actually, I would like to know if anyone wears knee sleeves. I own one, and it fits tightly around my knee, but it slips when I start moving around too much.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
lol this thread

um, I sort of fell of the wagon after hurting myself. I'm mostly better I think, I still get some stiffness/pain in my knee during certain movements. I guess I just need to work on stretching it or something. I'm having trouble being consistent and I feel lame and skinny again. :/

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I started working out nearly daily since July 17, 2010.

That day I used to weight 106KG(233LB) I stood at 177CM which is 5"8

Today I weigh around 82.5/83KG(Roughly 181LB), I'm now 179CM which is 5"9/10-ish

So I've lost around 24KGs(52LBs) in a period of 5 months, thats pretty good progress imo.

I want to get around 75-77KGs(165-170lbs) and I still have a fair bit of body fat left, recently its been very hard to lose more than 1.5KG(3LBs) a week, I exercise everyday and that consists of 30 Minutes on the treadmill(26 Mins on 11KM/H speed, average jogging speed, last 4-5 mins I walk on 7KM/H) afterwards I either work on the weight machines or go to an Aerobics session, I don't eat so much and I am by no means gaining weight/fat(At the very worst I stayed on the same weight)

Do you guys have any tips for boosting the rate of loosing weight? I have the Christmas holidays atm and I'm aiming to reach 79KGs before school begins(Around 10 January)

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
yes i meant bodyfat LOL wtf

I started working out nearly daily since July 17, 2010.

That day I used to weight 106KG(233LB) I stood at 177CM which is 5"8

Today I weigh around 82.5/83KG(Roughly 181LB), I'm now 179CM which is 5"9/10-ish

So I've lost around 24KGs(52LBs) in a period of 5 months, thats pretty good progress imo.

I want to get around 75-77KGs(165-170lbs) and I still have a fair bit of body fat left, recently its been very hard to lose more than 1.5KG(3LBs) a week, I exercise everyday and that consists of 30 Minutes on the treadmill(26 Mins on 11KM/H speed, average jogging speed, last 4-5 mins I walk on 7KM/H) afterwards I either work on the weight machines or go to an Aerobics session, I don't eat so much and I am by no means gaining weight/fat(At the very worst I stayed on the same weight)

Do you guys have any tips for boosting the rate of loosing weight? I have the Christmas holidays atm and I'm aiming to reach 79KGs before school begins(Around 10 January)
NICE! Keep at it! I recommend that you keep lifting (heavy, if you aren't already) to build muscle, it makes you look even better when the fats gone, and helps you keep it off. I would also say not to get discouraged by your fat loss slowdown, and don't hurt yourself to keep up that pace... 3 LBs per week is still very fast (I'm struggling to lose like a pound per week, ha). Just think of it this way, it took a LONG time for you to gain that weight, so you shouldn't expect it to just slide off. Just keep eating healthy and exercising, you're getting to the point where you want to get in the best shape possible, not just see an arbitrary number when you step on the scale. Good luck :)

terr13

Smash Journeyman
I agree, I think adding a bit of lifting, preferably heavy will help you a lot. You don't need to lose that much weight, and lifting really does help you boost up your metabolism. After you hit your target weight, you should just strive to keep under that, but don't worry too much about it. As you build more and more muscle, your weight will undoubtedly increase, but it's more of whethere or not you feel more comfortable in your body that matters, not what the scale says.

Top Bottom