• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

SM Mystic

Smash Cadet
NNID
MagicMissile6969
3DS FC
3093-7612-8482
Disappointed in Zelda's placement. Purple Guy recently got Top 8 with Zelda alone at a tournament where Prince Ramen won. She has results, and better matchup spread thanks to 1.1.5 and the Bayonetta nerfs make Zelda a more solid contender against Bayonetta.

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
Because I'm bored and still have time before I need to go to work, I figured I should list by how much each character moved up/down from version 2.0. With 3 new characters coming in, the numbers may be skewed a bit but I think this should show what has really changed and what hasn't. (Also I don't know how to spoiler tag this haha)

:4bayonetta: Currently 10 (Came into existence this voting period)
:4bowser:41 (+5)
:4bowserjr:51 (-14)
:4falcon:19 (-6)
:4charizard:52 (-9)
:4cloud:5 (Came into existence this period)
:4corrin:18 (Ditto)
:4dedede:54 (-10)
:4darkpit::4pit:20 (+1)
:4diddy:1 (+6)
:4dk:29 (-7)
:4drmario:44 (-3)
:4duckhunt:47 (-8)
:4falco:48 (-18)
:4fox:8 (+1)
:4ganondorf:55 (-4)
:4greninja:16 (+9)
:4myfriends:24 (-8)
:4jigglypuff:57 (-10)
:4kirby:39 (-5)
:4littlemac:50 (-10)
:4link:42 (-11)
:4lucario:22 (+1)
:4lucas:26 (Same position)
:4lucina:35 (+7)
:4luigi:25 (-8)
:4mario:6 (-1)
:4marth:27 (+5)
:4megaman:28 (+1)
:4metaknight:13 (-2)
:4mewtwo:11 (+38: dayum gurl)
:4gaw:45 (-7)
:4ness:14 (-4)
:4olimar:34 (-10)
:4pacman:32 (-12)
:4palutena:49 (-4)
:4peach:31 (-12)
:4pikachu:15 (-12)
:4rob:21 (-3)
:4robinm:36 (No change)
:rosalina:3 (+1)
:4feroy:53 (-25:He dropped off harder in viability than in his own damn game)
:4ryu:9 (-1)
:4samus:38 (+12)
:4sheik:2 (-1)
:4shulk:46 (-13)
:4sonic:7 (-1)
:4tlink:17 (+10)
:4villager:12 (+2)
:4wario:33 (-18)
:4wiifit:37 (-2)
:4yoshi:23 (-11)
:4zelda:56 (-4)
:4zss:4 (-2)
:4miibrawl:30 (+18)
:4miigun:40 (+13)
:4miisword:43 (+11)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because I'm bored and still have time before I need to go to work, I figured I should list by how much each character moved up/down from version 2.0. With 3 new characters coming in, the numbers may be skewed a bit but I think this should show was has really changed and what hasn't. (Also I don't know how to spoiler tag this haha)

:4bayonetta: Currently 10 (Came into existence this voting period)
:4bowser:41 (+5)
:4bowserjr:51 (-14)
:4falcon:19 (-6)
:4charizard:52 (-9)
:4cloud:5 (Came into existence this period)
:4corrin:18 (Ditto)
:4dedede:54 (-10)
:4darkpit::4pit:20 (+1)
:4diddy:1 (+6)
:4dk:29 (-7)
:4drmario:44 (-3)
:4duckhunt:47 (-8)
:4falco:48 (-18)
:4fox:8 (+1)
:4ganondorf:55 (-4)
:4greninja:16 (+9)
:4myfriends:24 (-8)
:4jigglypuff:57 (-10)
:4kirby:39 (-5)
:4littlemac:50 (-10)
:4link:42 (-11)
:4lucario:22 (+1)
:4lucas:26 (Same position)
:4lucina:35 (+7)
:4luigi:25 (-8)
:4mario:6 (-1)
:4marth:27 (+5)
:4megaman:28 (+1)
:4metaknight:13 (-2)
:4mewtwo:11 (+38: dayum gurl)
:4gaw:45 (-7)
:4ness:14 (-4)
:4olimar:34 (-10)
:4pacman:32 (-12)
:4palutena:49 (-4)
:4peach:31 (-12)
:4pikachu:15 (-12)
:4rob:21 (-3)
:4robinm:36 (No change)
:rosalina:3 (+1)
:4feroy:53 (-25:He dropped off harder in viability than in his own damn game)
:4ryu:9 (-1)
:4samus:38 (+12)
:4sheik:2 (-1)
:4shulk:46 (-13)
:4sonic:7 (-1)
:4tlink:17 (+10)
:4villager:12 (+2)
:4wario:33 (-18)
:4wiifit:37 (-2)
:4yoshi:23 (-11)
:4zelda:56 (-4)
:4zss:4 (-2)
:4miibrawl:30 (+18)
:4miigun:40 (+13)
:4miisword:43 (+11)
This is pretty awesome. Props to you for putting it all together.

also lol, R.I.P. :4feroy:.

It also looks like :4wario::4falco::4bowserjr: dropped off the hardest.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Pretty happy about:4lucas:moving up that much. He's about exactly where he belongs now.
Apart from:4pacman:and:4wario:being absolutely too low and tier 1 being kind of a mess, this list turned out pretty well.

Last edited:

SpaceCanary

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpaceCanary
This is a good list! I agree that :4pacman: could have stood to be higher, but other than that, I don't know if I would change anything else.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I think the thing that surprised me most was that :4cloud: was placed so high. I mean, this makes me happy for sure, just thought he would end up lower on the list.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I think the thing that surprised me most was that :4cloud: was placed so high. I mean, this makes me happy for sure, just thought he would end up lower on the list.
I think he should've been higher, actually. ZeRo placed him 2nd place, which seems pretty accurate to me. I suppose we'll see if Cloud ends up getting some more notable results before the next round (assuming 1.1.7 doesn't nerf him before that).

CalamitySB

Smash Cadet
Pretty decent list, especially for a community as decisive as this one. At this point though I really wish there were less tiers. There are a lot of lower tier characters getting results, but they're still low for a solid reason compared to other characters, such as flaws in their kit or just moves in general. It seems like most characters can be viable to at least place given a proper pilot, so it's hard to say what character can go where and constant debates arise because of it. Even the top tiers are in fluctuation with Ryu hype at full blast thanks to Trela's friendlies streak. Maybe this is just a rant saying that there should be no tiers, I don't know. It's just hard to see a million complaints that X is too low with results Y, and vice-versa.

Good list, I hope there's a plan to revise this list over time if 1.1.7 doesn't come and shake things up again.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Roy definitely isn't low tier. There was a time when he was up there in high tier next to Ike. How the **** did he end up so low?! He even got buffed in one of the recent patches.
I guess he just needs better results...

D

Deleted member

Roy definitely isn't low tier. There was a time when he was up there in high tier next to Ike. How the **** did he end up so low?! He even got buffed in one of the recent patches.
I guess he just needs better results...
He ended up so low because people found out how to fight him after like a week.

D

Deleted member

+1 Pac-Man
-1 Bayonetta
-1 Cloud
-1 Diddy Kong
-1 Sheik
Will people please stop voting? The list says "COMPLETE" for a reason.

Also.. downvoting high tiers then upvoting your main is pretty funny, I got to say.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
So i thought i might as well give my opeenions on each tier and the tier list

1::4diddy::4sheik::rosalina::4zss::4cloud:

So we are back to this meta where it was Diddy, Sheik, and Rosa. Oh how the top three have never changed :D. I like the characters in here, but I feel at least one more should come...
2::4mario::4sonic::4fox::4ryu:
I think Mario, and if i am being biased, and Sonic could go into tier 1. Also feel like 3 characters from tier 3 could go here....
3::4bayonetta::4mewtwo::4villager::4metaknight::4ness::4pikachu::4greninja:
Bayo should stay here for now, while M2, Villager, and MK go up. Greninja is heavily overatted imo
4::4tlink::4corrin::4falcon:(:4darkpit::4pit:):4rob::4lucario::4yoshi::4myfriends::4luigi:
This tier is good besides the fact that I think 2 characters should move into this tier and that Corrin should move to tier 5
5::4lucas::4marth::4megaman::4dk::4miibrawl::4peach:
I think Megaman and Marth have a tier 4 potential. Marth has been doing so much better recently and would fir the bottom of tier 4. Megaman has been dominating Japan and has some great top tier MU's

6::4pacman::4wario::4olimar::4lucina::4robinf::4wiifit::4samus::4kirby::4miigun:
This tier is perfect for me, besides maybe Robin above Lucy and Olimar, and just 3 more things
7::4bowser::4link::4miisword::4drmario::4gaw::4shulk::4duckhunt:

DHD is far too low, should be tier 6. Japan, and even some American players, have been using this character amazingly, and i feel like players have yet to top to his fullest potential. Not only that, but I feel Shulk should also be in Tier 6 because Darkwolf did great at GOML and Nicko won a socal local i think that had k9 and others.
8::4falco::4palutena::4littlemac::4bowserjr::4charizard::4feroy:
Palutena is stupidly low, should be tier 6. She is at this point the 2nd more underatted char behind Megaman.
9::4dedede::4ganondorf::4zelda::4jigglypuff:
This tier is perfect

D

Deleted member

Time for something probably really opinionated: since the community tier list is over for the time being I wanna try to give my best insight on how I view the meta right now, from average mid-level trash that is me.

Opinionated 1.1.6 Tier List.png

• Miis are Guest 1111 in this since this is (unfortunately) the most widely used ruleset for Miis.
  • B/L means "Borderline".
  • This is in order, but you can view it as placement by tiers as well.
:4diddy::4sheik::4cloud::4zss::rosalina:
High
:4mario::4sonic::4fox::4ryu::4mewtwo::4ness:

• Easily capable of taking top 8 at a major or larger with no secondary, and have strong matchups against most of the cast that allow them to perform at least well on a constant basis. They have have some iffy MUs with other characters above or even below them, but it doesn't make a large impact on their viability.
Borderline High
:4megaman::4tlink::4villager::4pikachu::4bayonetta::4metaknight::4lucario::4falcon::4luigi:

• May require a secondary if their worse MUs are bad enough to refuse grinding out with. Otherwise, really solid characters. Especially with :4megaman: beginning to win so much stuff.
Upper-Mid
:4marth::4yoshi::4myfriends::4corrin::4peach::4rob::4lucas::4greninja::4olimar::4dk:

• The guys that we know for sure are pretty good... basically.
Mid
:4lucina::4wario::4bowser::4darkpit::4pit::4wiifit::4samus::4robinm::4shulk::4pacman:

• Delightfully decent. Middle-of-the-run characters with a toolkit containing strong aspects in it, but have other weaknesses that keep them from being real threats. However, don't be surprised if you see them placing high at a major. I don't know what a Lucina is. Her placement is alright, I suppose.
Borderline Mid
:4palutena::4duckhunt::4link::4miigun::4gaw::4drmario::4kirby::4littlemac:

• If they all got the minor boost needed, they'd all be viable. Otherwise, they're mostly niche. :4duckhunt: is somewhat of an outlier here considering his very impressive results in Japan and even here in America thanks to the efforts of players such as DunnoBro and DandyPenguin. :4palutena: does a lot for the purported dysfunctional mess she's claimed to be. Her placing so well (top 16 in many regionals and majors whenever her mains attend) in recent several months along with being shown to perform well in many higher tiered matchups convince me to put her at this spot.
Low
:4bowserjr::4charizard::4falco::4ganondorf::4feroy::4dedede:

• All these guys have noteworthy strengths that bump them above the characters below them. Some of them (:4dedede::4bowserjr:) have even managed to net some quite decent results at large tournaments. Despite that they still suffer from various negative aspects in their character build, such as a lackluster neutral, frame data, mobility, or reliable killing ability.
Bottom
:4jigglypuff::4zelda::4miisword::4miibrawl:

• Characters with rather significant flaws and a poor matchup spread that gives them a hard time competing at high levels of play. 1111 Brawler and Swordfighter are just outright miserable characters and aren't capable of placing high anywhere where it matters. Although, if they weren't on this list :4zelda: would be last.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
My personal thoughts about this tier list

The SWF Community voted tier list 3.0

1::4diddy::4sheik::rosalina::4zss::4cloud2:

3::4bayonetta::4villager::4mewtwo::4metaknight::4ness::4pikachu::4greninja:

4::4tlink::4corrin::4falcon:(:4darkpit::4pit:):4rob::4lucario::4yoshi::4myfriends::4luigi:

6::4pacman::4wario::4olimar::4lucina::4robinm::4wiifit::4kirby::4samus::4miigun:

NOTE THAT THIS IS ALL IN MY OPINION.

:4bayonetta::Bayonetta seems fine. Perhaps below Mewtwo

:4bowser::Bowser's spot is I guess ok, I would put him only 2 spots lower.

:4bowserjr::I think Bowser Jr. should be a little higher, although this is a problem of some characters being too high.

:4falcon::Captain Falcon seems a little too high. He has a few bad weaknesses and a garbage Pikachu matchup. I think he should be a few spots lower.

:4charizard::I think Charizard is too low, Although, like Bowser Jr., this is mostly a matter of some characters being too high.

:4cloud::I thought everyone except the top Diddy mains established that the top 3 in this game is :4diddy::4sheik::4cloud: in whatever order? Geez. Cloud should defitenly be 3rd, above Rosalina and Zero Suit Samus. Then he would be fine.

:4corrin::Corrin in no way should be in tier 4. He's either tier 5 or tier 6. He has virtually no results and NO solo results at all except for ONE japanease result. His theory isn't even this good anyway. I can't see Corrin being useful in the metagame outside of a counterpick character for whatever matchup.

:4darkpit:: Read Pit's section below.

:4diddy::Correct, I agree that he is #1 again.

:4dk::Donkey Kong's spot is correct.

:4drmario::Dr. Mario is defitenly overrated by lower leveled players. Dr. Mario isn't useless trash, but he is still bad and defitenly bottom 12. Lack of mobilty and 4th worst recovery really screws him over. I would put him where Little Mac, Bowser Jr, and Charizard (Probably Little Mac's)

:4duckhunt::Duck Hunt I think is too low. He has great specials and projectiles, good aierals, a good dash attack, jab, and forward tilt, a good neutral, and a pretty good matchup spread. He also has AMAZING results in japan and pretty good results in canada and usa too. People also really treat his flaws worse then they actually are. I personally think Duck Hunt should be in the bottom of tier 6.

:4falco::He's fine where he is. Although he should be above Link and Dr. Mario, they're too high anyway so...

:4fox::Fox is fine where he is, although I think he should be above Mario and possibly Zero Suit Samus (But not Sonic, since he needs to rise too)

:4ganondorf::Ganon's spot is fine, apart from that Jigglypuff should be above him.

:4greninja::Greninja is fine, although Toon Link should be above him.

:4myfriends::Ike seems a little high, i think he should be at the top of tier 5.

:4jigglypuff::Now, I know I am gonna get hate for this......... but Jigglypuff shoudn't be last. He should be fourth from last tbh, and she gets above bottom 5 when Miis are 1111 honestly. And I think she has a lot of hidden potential to grow, although this is irrelevant to current Jigglypuff. This is what I think about her currently. People don't know anything about her, outside of her mains and the random person who somehow knows.

For one thing, her matchup spread is nowhere near as bad as people say. Her matchup spread isn't good, but it isn't horrendous like Dedede's is. She goes even aganist some notable characters, like Ness and Falcon. Falcon might actually be a win. She also goes only -1 aganist some other top tiers, such as Diddy. She only has 1-2 -3 matchups, and they're even debatable -2. She actually DOES beat certain characters too, such as WFT and Zelda. Contrary to popular belief, she doesn't lose hard to characters with great knockback; Ganondorf is either even or Puff's favor, not -4 in Ganon's favor. If you believe that is how the matchup is, you need to rethink it through. Why would a good Jigglypuff be getting hit by every single move he inputs?

Additionally, contrary to popular belief, her specials aren't useless. I mean, up and neutral specials are, but not down and side special. I hate it when people say all her specials suck. Pound is pretty good; It's a good shield destroyer, has pretty good damage, and isn't as bad as people say. Rest also isn't useless; it's still a great punish options despite its weaknesses, and helps Puff mains land the KO, especially from confirms into rest (This exists)

Also, contrary to popular belief, her ground game isn't useless; her dash attack is good, it KOs earlier than you think and is a good punishing tool. Jab is also pretty good too; it combos into many moves (Especially if you just use jab 1) and this includes dash attack, which can sometimes kill. Up tilt also has some great combos (Including a combo into rest if you do it correctly) and can also kill you at times.

And then of course, there is her great aerial attacks; Neutral air is very good, it has a ton of combos, is a great edgeguarding tool, and has a long-lasting hitbox; forward air also has combos (Including into rest), has a wall of pain, and, once again, is great for edgeguarding; back air is a great KO move even without the wall of pain, and, once again, is a good edgeguarding tool; Down air is muiti-hit and has a combo into rest; and up air has VERY good priority, has many combos from a fast-falling one and has hard to punish.

Most aerials have great priority and good edgeguarding skills too, and Pound is also usable for edgeguarding. All her aerials except for maybe down air (Not sure on that one) also have good priority too.

Now, don't get me wrong, Jigglypuff is still a bad character with bad weaknesses and really should get buffs, but if you think she is the worst, below ZELDA, I encourage you to watch RDR7 or Serynder play. They're both really good Jigglypuffs who proves that she isn't the worst.

:4dedede::Dedede's spot is fine, apart from that Jigglypuff should be above him.

:4kirby::Kirby's spot is fine, I guess Mii Gunner should be above him but otherwise it's perfect. And I rarely see people place Kirby almost perfectly, he's usually too low, and occasionally too high.

:4littlemac::Little Mac is kinda hard to place. He could be at his current spot, Bowser Jr's spot, or Charizard's spot. I would probably put him at Charizard's spot though.

:4link::Link is so hilariusly overrated, it's hilarious. Link's placement here is essentially factually wrong; he has bad mobility, bad frame data, a pretty bad recovery, many bad moves (such as down tilt and smash), and an absoluty horrendeus matchup spread, alongside probably many more flaws (I've lost track of how many times I've stated his flaws), and his strengths don't really make up for it. The only reason prople don't put him in bottom 10 is because of his fairly good results from Scizor and Izaw. But I personally feel that his flaws keep him in bottom 10 or at least bottom 15 He should be where Bowser Jr. and Charizard are right now.

:4lucario::Lucario seems a little low; He has a pretty good amount of niche top tier matchups and can kill EXTREMELY early with full aura. I think he should be about 4 spots higher.

:4lucas::Lucas is defitenly too high, what is he doing above MEGA MAN, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, and Peach? Lucas I could see this high theoretically, but I'm not confident that's even accurate enough, it may still be a little too high, plus his results don't match up to that in the slightest. Taiheita is the best Lucas and his results aren't always the best either. He should be right above Kirby.

:4lucina::Lucina's spot is fine. I think she shoudn't be seperated from Marth so much but Marth deserves to be lower so it isn't her spot's problem.

:4luigi::Luigi is a few spots too low; I'd out him about 3 spots higher.

:4mario::Mario, like Ryu, is kinda odd to place; I personally think he should below Sonic and Fox, although I suppose he could be above Fox too.

:4marth::Marth is probably even more overrated than Link by this point, honestly. But NO ONE is able to accept the fact that Marth isn't even high tier in this game, and not even top 30. Marth may have top 30 results (albeit most likely just barely) but his theory doesn't quite reach that level, and his matchup spread defitenly isn't top 30 (Even ir he beats Mario; there are many top tiers that beat him by -2 or more. In fact, most of them too. Some high tiers, such as Pac-Man, also beat him -2. There absoluty is no excuse to put Marth in high tier with his flaws and not-that-big amount of strengths. And his matchup chart.

Personally, I would put him where Olimar and Wario are.

:4megaman::Mega Man's spot is absolute garbage. Mega Man is easily top 20, no argument about it, and most likely even top 15 by this point. Think about it; He has many good projectiles such as metal blade and pellets, and a good combination of normal attacks too, good aerials, espicially back air which is a great KO tool, and up air which is also good, great smashes that have amazing kill power (Apart from side smash, which is good for other reasons), a great up tilt that is also good at KOing, good down tilt, pretty good grabs, including a combo throw and kill throw, he's extremely good at spacing and great at shield pressure (And considering he has a good grab, this actually means something), and has an amazing neutral. This character is so hard to deal with. And then there's the fact that he has a top 10 matchup spread. He is one of Sonic's worst matchups, beating him +2, and is Ryu's worst matchup at the same ratio. He also wins slightly or goes even aganist most of the other top 15 characters/candidates. It should tell you something about his top tier matchups when LUCAS is most likely his worst matchup. From what I've heard, his worst matchups are Sheik, Lucas, and Pika.

And to top it all off, His results 100% support this, if not supporting more! Kameushi is dominating Japan right now with almost just Mega Man (He has a occasional secondary Cloud and a pocket Yoshi) and is the only currently consistant player in Japan. Daiki is also a good Mega Man in Japan getting good results. And then there's also Scatt, who, once again, is getting good results at nationals, such as 13th at Pound.

Mega Man's current spot is an bullet to the head for anyone who knows how this game works.

:4metaknight::Meta's Knight's spot is correct. Although I think he'll fall lower in the future,

:4mewtwo::Mewtwo I think could be a little higher, above Bayonetta and Villager.

:4miibrawl::How the heck did he get so low? It may be guest size, but that doesn't make him this low. I would put him probably around Lucario and Yoshi is probably. idk exactatly where, but not this low.

:4miigun::Why is Gunner so low? In guest size, he's about as good as Lucina, Robin, and Wii Fit Trainer; not sure why he's below Samus and Kirby. When he gets all moves, he gets even more great projectiles and spacing because of getting the grenade neutral special (or whatever it's called) and the bomb thing. They both help him become even better, and he has some notable evenish matchups and a good neutral too.

:4miisword::I think Mii Swordfighter might be too low, he should be in tier 6 right below Kirby (He and Kirby are about equally the same in terms of viability) and thus, above Link, Bowser, and Samus (Gunner is also too low)

:4gaw::I think Game and Watch is too low, he should be bottom of tier 6 in my opinion due to his great combos, good recovery, great edgeguarding, and his notable matchups aganist higher tiered characters (Such as Pikachu). He is defitenly underrated.

:4ness::Ness's placement is also perfectly accurate (Except that Mega Man might be above him tbh. Bold statement)

:4olimar::Almost correct; I personally think he's better than Wario, but otherwise this is correct.

:4pacman::pac-Man is another severe problem with the list. Pac-Man is in no way tier 6; He ahould be in the top of tier 5. Pac-Man has a great matchup spread, good projectiles, good specials, good spacing, good recovery, pretty good aierals, a pretty good jab and dash attack, good down and forward tilt, and pretty good smashes, Pac-Man is severly underrated and way better than this.

:4palutena:: Palutena moved up last round, thankfully, but I still think she's a little too low. She defitenly shoudn't be below Falco, Dr. Mario, or Link. Moving her up 3-4 spots would be good.

:4peach::Same as Donkey Kong's, correct.

:4pikachu::Correct.

:4pit:: Pit and Dark Pit are probably a little bit too high, I suppose they should be around where Yoshi is, possibly even lower because the more I look at them, the more lackluster they seem. And their top tier matchups are only getting worse.

:4rob::I think ROB seems a little too high. He definitely isn't better than Lucario or Yoshi. I personally would put him where Luigi is

:4robinm::Correct. I suppose he could be above Lucina though, but idk.

:rosalina::Rosa's spot is fine. She should be one spot lower though, Cloud is better. Rosa should be in tier 2 as well since I think tier 1 should just be the top 3.

:4feroy:: Correct for sure. One of the few characters that I think is perfectly placed, even down to the characters above and below him.

:4ryu::This is pretty much exactatly where I would place him. ZeRo woudn't like it though....

:4samus::Samus is fine, although imo the miis should be above her.

:4sheik::Correct, I think she is #2 as well behind Diddy

:4shulk::Shulk's spot seems fine, maybe one spot higher.

:4sonic::Sonic's spot is a little too low; I think he should be above Mario and Zero Suit, and that he's top 5

:4tlink::Toon Link's spot is ok I guess. I think he should be in tier 3 right above Greninja.

:4villager::Villager's spot is almost correct; I think he should be below Mewtwo but otherwise it's correct

:4wario::Wario's spot is almost correct; I would put him below Olimar but otherwise it's correct.

:4wiifit::Correct.

:4yoshi::Yoshi seems oddly low. I don't see how he's worse than Corrin, Falcon, Pits, and Rob. He gets pretty good results from The Wall and Raptor (Such as 17th at Pound and 49th at Genesis) and has great aerials, KO power, air mobility, and some good ground attacks such as jab and dash attack. I'd put him like 5 spots higher.

:4zelda::Zelda is worse than Jigglypuff but otherwise correct; idk why people want her higher...... Please tell me it isn't because of her "hoo-hah"........ it is isn't it?

:4zss::Zero Suit Samus is a hard one to place; I don't think she is in top 5 though (imo top 5 is :4diddy::4sheik::4cloud2:/:rosalina::4sonic:) or in tier 1; I think she is in tier 2. I think she would be 7th.

So yeah, basically, I think this tier list really isn't that good due to many major flaws (Such as:4megaman::4pacman::4marth::4lucas::4link:) mostly, and the many other little flaws in it too. This list feels like a flawed list basicially.

On another note, I like how all you guys are voting RIGHT after it's completed. You serisualy couldn't have come like one day earlier? lol.

Gonna post my tier list later this weekend...

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I agree with this, Mewtwo should probably be above her, but I suppose people weren't willing to spend a wild-card to move her down (or Mewtwo up). I certainly weren't.

:4cloud::I thought everyone except the top Diddy mains established that the top 3 in this game is :4diddy::4sheik::4cloud: in whatever order? Geez. Cloud should defitenly be 3rd, above Rosalina and Zero Suit Samus. Then he would be fine.
Yeah, I placed him at 2nd place, 5th is too low.

:4corrin::Corrin in no way should be in tier 4. He's either tier 5 or tier 6. He has virtually no results and NO solo results at all except for ONE japanease result. His theory isn't even this good anyway.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, although I'd like to mention that ZeRo placed her in spot 10.

:4lucina::Lucina's spot is fine. I think she shoudn't be seperated from Marth so much but Marth deserves to be lower so it isn't her spot's problem.
Yeah, perhaps. Marth does have better results though, although I think Lucina's results would've been better if Marth weren't in the game.

I agree with this.

:4miibrawl::How the heck did he get so low? It may be guest size, but that doesn't make him this low.
Because people rated them poorly and only a few voted for them in the wild card round. People underestimate XXXX Miis hard.

:4miigun::Why is Gunner so low? In guest size, he's about as good as Lucina, Robin, and Wii Fit Trainer; not sure why he's below Samus and Kirby.
See Mii Brawler.

:4miisword::I think Mii Swordfighter might be too low [---]
See Mii Brawler.

:4villager::Villager's spot is almost correct; I think he should be below Mewtwo but otherwise it's correct
Villager is below Mewtwo though. Look at the first page.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
This list has really come together. Obviously, it's a bit outdated since results change literally weekly. So, for example, Bowser and Mega Man might be higher now. But, overall very nice list. Where are we going after this?

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice

6::4pacman::4wario::4olimar::4lucina::4robinm::4wiifit::4kirby::4samus::4miigun:

:4bowserjr::I think Bowser Jr. should be a little higher, although this is a problem of some characters being too high.

:4falcon::Captain Falcon seems a little too high. He has a few bad weaknesses and a garbage Pikachu matchup. I think he should be a few spots lower.

:4charizard::I think Charizard is too low, Although, like Bowser Jr., this is mostly a matter of some characters being too high.

:4corrin::Corrin in no way should be in tier 4. He's either tier 5 or tier 6. He has virtually no results and NO solo results at all except for ONE japanease result. His theory isn't even this good anyway. I can't see Corrin being useful in the metagame outside of a counterpick character for whatever matchup.

:4drmario::Dr. Mario is defitenly overrated by lower leveled players. Dr. Mario isn't useless trash, but he is still bad and defitenly bottom 12. Lack of mobilty and 4th worst recovery really screws him over. I would put him where Little Mac, Bowser Jr, and Charizard (Probably Little Mac's)

:4duckhunt::Duck Hunt I think is too low. He has great specials and projectiles, good aierals, a good dash attack, jab, and forward tilt, a good neutral, and a pretty good matchup spread. He also has AMAZING results in japan and pretty good results in canada and usa too. People also really treat his flaws worse then they actually are. I personally think Duck Hunt should be in the bottom of tier 6.

:4falco::He's fine where he is. Although he should be above Link and Dr. Mario, they're too high anyway so...

:4fox::Fox is fine where he is, although I think he should be above Mario and possibly Zero Suit Samus (But not Sonic, since he needs to rise too)

:4ganondorf::Ganon's spot is fine, apart from that Jigglypuff should be above him.

:4myfriends::Ike seems a little high, i think he should be at the top of tier 5.

:4jigglypuff::Now, I know I am gonna get hate for this......... but Jigglypuff shoudn't be last. He should be fourth from last tbh, and she gets above bottom 5 when Miis are 1111 honestly. And I think she has a lot of hidden potential to grow, although this is irrelevant to current Jigglypuff. This is what I think about her currently. People don't know anything about her, outside of her mains and the random person who somehow knows.

For one thing, her matchup spread is nowhere near as bad as people say. Her matchup spread isn't good, but it isn't horrendous like Dedede's is. She goes even aganist some notable characters, like Ness and Falcon. Falcon might actually be a win. She also goes only -1 aganist some other top tiers, such as Diddy. She only has 1-2 -3 matchups, and they're even debatable -2. She actually DOES beat certain characters too, such as WFT and Zelda. Contrary to popular belief, she doesn't lose hard to characters with great knockback; Ganondorf is either even or Puff's favor, not -4 in Ganon's favor. If you believe that is how the matchup is, you need to rethink it through. Why would a good Jigglypuff be getting hit by every single move he inputs?

Additionally, contrary to popular belief, her specials aren't useless. I mean, up and neutral specials are, but not down and side special. I hate it when people say all her specials suck. Pound is pretty good; It's a good shield destroyer, has pretty good damage, and isn't as bad as people say. Rest also isn't useless; it's still a great punish options despite its weaknesses, and helps Puff mains land the KO, especially from confirms into rest (This exists)

Also, contrary to popular belief, her ground game isn't useless; her dash attack is good, it KOs earlier than you think and is a good punishing tool. Jab is also pretty good too; it combos into many moves (Especially if you just use jab 1) and this includes dash attack, which can sometimes kill. Up tilt also has some great combos (Including a combo into rest if you do it correctly) and can also kill you at times.

And then of course, there is her great aerial attacks; Neutral air is very good, it has a ton of combos, is a great edgeguarding tool, and has a long-lasting hitbox; forward air also has combos (Including into rest), has a wall of pain, and, once again, is great for edgeguarding; back air is a great KO move even without the wall of pain, and, once again, is a good edgeguarding tool; Down air is muiti-hit and has a combo into rest; and up air has VERY good priority, has many combos from a fast-falling one and has hard to punish.

Most aerials have great priority and good edgeguarding skills too, and Pound is also usable for edgeguarding. All her aerials except for maybe down air (Not sure on that one) also have good priority too.

Now, don't get me wrong, Jigglypuff is still a bad character with bad weaknesses and really should get buffs, but if you think she is the worst, below ZELDA, I encourage you to watch RDR7 or Serynder play. They're both really good Jigglypuffs who proves that she isn't the worst.

:4dedede::Dedede's spot is fine, apart from that Jigglypuff should be above him.

:4kirby::Kirby's spot is fine, I guess Mii Gunner should be above him but otherwise it's perfect. And I rarely see people place Kirby almost perfectly, he's usually too low, and occasionally too high.

:4littlemac::Little Mac is kinda hard to place. He could be at his current spot, Bowser Jr's spot, or Charizard's spot. I would probably put him at Charizard's spot though.

:4link::Link is so hilariusly overrated, it's hilarious. Link's placement here is essentially factually wrong; he has bad mobility, bad frame data, a pretty bad recovery, many bad moves (such as down tilt and smash), and an absoluty horrendeus matchup spread, alongside probably many more flaws (I've lost track of how many times I've stated his flaws), and his strengths don't really make up for it. The only reason prople don't put him in bottom 10 is because of his fairly good results from Scizor and Izaw. But I personally feel that his flaws keep him in bottom 10 or at least bottom 15 He should be where Bowser Jr. and Charizard are right now.

:4lucario::Lucario seems a little low; He has a pretty good amount of niche top tier matchups and can kill EXTREMELY early with full aura. I think he should be about 4 spots higher.

:4lucas::Lucas is defitenly too high, what is he doing above MEGA MAN, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, and Peach? Lucas I could see this high theoretically, but I'm not confident that's even accurate enough, it may still be a little too high, plus his results don't match up to that in the slightest. Taiheita is the best Lucas and his results aren't always the best either. He should be right above Kirby.

:4mario::Mario, like Ryu, is kinda odd to place; I personally think he should below Sonic and Fox, although I suppose he could be above Fox too.

:4marth::Marth is probably even more overrated than Link by this point, honestly. But NO ONE is able to accept the fact that Marth isn't even high tier in this game, and not even top 30. Marth may have top 30 results (albeit most likely just barely) but his theory doesn't quite reach that level, and his matchup spread defitenly isn't top 30 (Even ir he beats Mario; there are many top tiers that beat him by -2 or more. In fact, most of them too. Some high tiers, such as Pac-Man, also beat him -2. There absoluty is no excuse to put Marth in high tier with his flaws and not-that-big amount of strengths. And his matchup chart.

:4megaman::Mega Man's spot is absolute garbage. Mega Man is easily top 20, no argument about it, and most likely even top 15 by this point. Think about it; He has many good projectiles such as metal blade and pellets, and a good combination of normal attacks too, good aerials, espicially back air which is a great KO tool, and up air which is also good, great smashes that have amazing kill power (Apart from side smash, which is good for other reasons), a great up tilt that is also good at KOing, good down tilt, pretty good grabs, including a combo throw and kill throw, he's extremely good at spacing and great at shield pressure (And considering he has a good grab, this actually means something), and has an amazing neutral. This character is so hard to deal with. And then there's the fact that he has a top 10 matchup spread. He is one of Sonic's worst matchups, beating him +2, and is Ryu's worst matchup at the same ratio. He also wins slightly or goes even aganist most of the other top 15 characters/candidates. It should tell you something about his top tier matchups when LUCAS is most likely his worst matchup. From what I've heard, his worst matchups are Sheik, Lucas, and Pika.

And to top it all off, His results 100% support this, if not supporting more! Kameushi is dominating Japan right now with almost just Mega Man (He has a occasional secondary Cloud and a pocket Yoshi) and is the only currently consistant player in Japan. Daiki is also a good Mega Man in Japan getting good results. And then there's also Scatt, who, once again, is getting good results at nationals, such as 13th at Pound.

Mega Man's current spot is an bullet to the head for anyone who knows how this game works.

:4metaknight::Meta's Knight's spot is correct. Although I think he'll fall lower in the future,

:4mewtwo::Mewtwo I think could be a little higher, above Bayonetta and Villager.

:4miibrawl::How the heck did he get so low? It may be guest size, but that doesn't make him this low. I would put him probably around Lucario and Yoshi is probably. idk exactatly where, but not this low.

:4miigun::Why is Gunner so low? In guest size, he's about as good as Lucina, Robin, and Wii Fit Trainer; not sure why he's below Samus and Kirby. When he gets all moves, he gets even more great projectiles and spacing because of getting the grenade neutral special (or whatever it's called) and the bomb thing. They both help him become even better, and he has some notable evenish matchups and a good neutral too.

:4miisword::I think Mii Swordfighter might be too low, he should be in tier 6 right below Kirby (He and Kirby are about equally the same in terms of viability) and thus, above Link, Bowser, and Samus (Gunner is also too low)

:4gaw::I think Game and Watch is too low, he should be bottom of tier 6 in my opinion due to his great combos, good recovery, great edgeguarding, and his notable matchups aganist higher tiered characters (Such as Pikachu). He is defitenly underrated.

:4ness::Ness's placement is also perfectly accurate (Except that Mega Man might be above him tbh. Bold statement)

:4olimar::Almost correct; I personally think he's better than Wario, but otherwise this is correct.

:4pacman::pac-Man is another severe problem with the list. Pac-Man is in no way tier 6; He ahould be in the top of tier 5. Pac-Man has a great matchup spread, good projectiles, good specials, good spacing, good recovery, pretty good aierals, a pretty good jab and dash attack, good down and forward tilt, and pretty good smashes, Pac-Man is severly underrated and way better than this.

:4palutena:: Palutena moved up last round, thankfully, but I still think she's a little too low. She defitenly shoudn't be below Falco, Dr. Mario, or Link. Moving her up 3-4 spots would be good.

:4pit:: Pit and Dark Pit are probably a little bit too high, I suppose they should be around where Yoshi is, possibly even lower because the more I look at them, the more lackluster they seem. And their top tier matchups are only getting worse.

:4rob::I think ROB seems a little too high. He definitely isn't better than Lucario or Yoshi. I personally would put him where Luigi is

:rosalina::Rosa's spot is fine. She should be one spot lower though, Cloud is better. Rosa should be in tier 2 as well since I think tier 1 should just be the top 3.

:4feroy:: Correct for sure. One of the few characters that I think is perfectly placed, even down to the characters above and below him.

:4ryu::This is pretty much exactatly where I would place him. ZeRo woudn't like it though....

:4sonic::Sonic's spot is a little too low; I think he should be above Mario and Zero Suit, and that he's top 5

:4tlink::Toon Link's spot is ok I guess. I think he should be in tier 3 right above Greninja.

:4wario::Wario's spot is almost correct; I would put him below Olimar but otherwise it's correct.

:4yoshi::Yoshi seems oddly low. I don't see how he's worse than Corrin, Falcon, Pits, and Rob. He gets pretty good results from The Wall and Raptor (Such as 17th at Pound and 49th at Genesis) and has great aerials, KO power, air mobility, and some good ground attacks such as jab and dash attack. I'd put him like 5 spots higher.

:4zelda::Zelda is worse than Jigglypuff but otherwise correct; idk why people want her higher...... Please tell me it isn't because of her "hoo-hah"........ it is isn't it?

:4zss::Zero Suit Samus is a hard one to place; I don't think she is in top 5 though (imo top 5 is :4diddy::4sheik::4cloud2:/:rosalina::4sonic:) or in tier 1; I think she is in tier 2. I think she would be 7th.

So yeah, basically, I think this tier list really isn't that good due to many major flaws (Such as:4megaman::4pacman::4marth::4lucas::4link:) mostly, and the many other little flaws in it too. This list feels like a flawed list basicially.

On another note, I like how all you guys are voting RIGHT after it's completed. You serisualy couldn't have come like one day earlier? lol.

Corrin has ONE good solo resault? Cosmos and Ryuga must have been playing Robin then, MY B... I always mix those silver haired Fe characters up. (The corrin bashing has gone from only good reigonal resaults, to only decent regional resaults, and now to only ONE resault... hooo boy).

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Corrin has ONE good solo resault? Cosmos and Ryuga must have been playing Robin then, MY B... I always mix those silver haired Fe characters up. (The corrin bashing has gone from only good reigonal resaults, to only decent regional resaults, and now to only ONE resault... hooo boy).
None of them solo main him, and they don't get any good results with them outside of the occasional local. Ryuga's basicially quit anyway iirc.

D

Deleted member

None of them solo main him, and they don't get any good results with them outside of the occasional local. Ryuga's basicially quit anyway iirc.
Cosmos solo mains Corrin and Ryuga has never stopped playing Corrin. He's just on hiatus atm and will be back after/during the time of CEO.

I don't think Corrin is that good of a character either, but don't spread misinformation.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Cosmos solo mains Corrin and Ryuga has never stopped playing Corrin. He's just on hiatus atm and will be back after/during the time of CEO.

I don't think Corrin is that good of a character either, but don't spread misinformation.
Oh, I swear I heard somewhere he has a secondary. Still doesn't change the fact that he/she has barely any notable results though.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I swear I heard somewhere he has a secondary. Still doesn't change the fact that he/she has barely any notable results though.
I mean Ruyga beat ally, and got 2nd at landlocked, but then he went on hiatus. Cosmos dropped pickachu for Corrin and now dominates Dallas (wins their weeklies and monthlies almost everytime now, only two not 1st place finishes since he picked up Corrin). They though have the best resaults. Though there are previously unknown Corrins popping up random palces besides them (state prs, europe, japan). I digress though Corrin does have a rep issue (Ryuga come back T-T).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean Ruyga beat ally, and got 2nd at landlocked, but then he went on hiatus. Cosmos dropped pickachu for Corrin and now dominates Dallas (wins their weeklies and monthlies almost everytime now, only two not 1st place finishes since he picjed up Corrin). They though have the best resaults. Though there are previously unknown Corrins popping up random palces besides them (state prs, europe, japan). I fo digress though Corrin does have a rep issue though (Ryuga come back T-T).
I see this player named Anonymous Moniker occasionally pop up and place high with solo Corrin at some larger tournaments. Any idea where he's from?

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice

SM Mystic

Smash Cadet
NNID
MagicMissile6969
3DS FC
3093-7612-8482

Zelda belongs higher because of her damage buffs, slight speedup on frames, more intan on Nayru's love, bigger uair hitbox. Also some of Zelda's worst matchups got hit with the nerf stick.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
So I liked Feelick's idea to post tier lists now the list is over,so I'm gonna post mine too. I'd also gonna post one after EVO too.

So basicially:

(Note that I consider theory and matchup charts more important than results, espicially matchup charts, but results are still very important)
S::4diddy::4sheik::4cloud:

This is basicially the clear top 3 atm. Diddy has the best results atm, with Sheik doing good with that and Cloud being popular in players but not getting as high placements. All three of their matchup spreads are pretty good, Sheik has few losing matchups but goes evenish aganist a ton of characters too, including many top tiers. Diddy's is similar, bit he has more possible -1s, in exchange for having more posisitive top tier matchups. Cloud dominates lower tiers the most and beats some a good amount of top tiers such as Diddy. However, he loses or goes even aganist some lower tiered characters and loses -2 aganist Sheik.

A::rosalina::4sonic::4fox::4zss::4mario::4ryu::4mewtwo:

A tier is basicially great characters who have GREAT potential, results, and matchup charts, but aren't as good as the top 3. All of these characters have won nationals before aa for as I know. Rosalina easily has just as good theory as the top3, but his terrible Meta Knight matchups, bad Cloud matchup, and many debatable lower tiered matchups makes her matchup spread questionable and bumps her down here. Sonic has great theory too, but his america results aren't the best at all whatsoever and his results are only getting worse (Godamnit 6WX the only other good player getting good results in nationals representating PA [The state I live in] is C-3PO. Stop bustering :p). Fox and Mario are essentially the same atm in terms of viability; they both have great results from one great player and a bunch of other good players representating them, but their theory is slightly worse than Rosa's and Sonic's so I put them lower. ZSS is falling due to her theory not being as good anymore, espicially due to her nerfs, and her results falling a ton (Nick Riddle and Remzi have essentially disappeared and Nairo is constantly getting unlucky in losers by having to go aganist players such as ZeRo before losers finals or, in the one KTAR and Pound's case, bustering). Nario and Marrss are the only ZSS's activly going to nationals and performing well atm. Mewtwo has few disadvantageous matchups and even those are all debatly even, and Abadango is getting good american results here, along with other players. Ryu keeps rising due to Trela's amazing results atm with him, despite his sligtly worse matchup spread and theory than the ones above him.

All of these characters keeps rising and lowering in people's opinion after one person does good or bad at a tournament though, which proves just how close these characters are and how balanced this game is, which I like.

B+::4bayonetta::4megaman::4villager::4metaknight::4ness::4pikachu::4tlink:

B+ is basicially the upper half of high tier in my opinion. Basicially, these characters are either solo-viable or have one bad matchup, and have been proven to easily be able to get top 16 at nationals (even supernationals) and yet, even top 8 at many nationals. Bayonetta was nerfed a ton, but she has still been getting pretty good results at the tournaments top Bayo mains have been at without being carried whatsoever by the character either. She is basicially perfectly balanced by this point. Mega Man is a great character that is only rising a ton atm. He is dominating Japan due to Kamemushi being the only player to be consistant in Japan, and Daiki and Scatt are getting great results too. Mega Man's theory is also great, having things such as great smashes that have great knockback (Although two of them are pretty slow) and great projectiles and zoning stuff, along with other great advantages. He also has an amazing top tier spread and has few negative matchups (LUCAS of all characters is one of his worst matchups, and that isn't even bad. That should tell you something about his matchup spread). He goes even aganist two of the three S tiers even (One possibly being in Mega Man's favor.). Villager was only top 10 due to Ranai, and now that he is focusing on SF5, he isn't performing as good and we get to see how his theory is without Ranai doing great. This is about how he seems now atm. I DO think he is being slightly slept on though. He has good projectiles that make it hard to approach him. You can seldom use your own projectiles though either, since he can just pocket them, throw them at you, and make them twice as powerful. When you DO approach him, he has many powerful moves and some good aierals, down tilt, forward tilt, up tilt, and forward smash, He can kill you with forward smash, up tilt, and up air. And if he gets you offstage, it can be really hard to come back due to his bowling ball gimping, along with his forward and back air gimping and down air gimping. He can also pocket PK Thunder to gimp Ness and Lucas. And he has great recovery with the longest distance as well, so he go deep if he wants. SS, Captawsum, Arrvark, and MJG are still getting results using Villager as well, so it isn't like he completely disappeared. For Meta Knight, he has been falling a ton ever since the nerfs since now he has some really bad top tier matchups such as Ryu. Tyrant and Leo are using their secondaries way more to the point where MK is basicially their secondaries. Some mains such as Abadango have completatly dropped him. The few people still solo-maining Meta Knight (Such as Ito) aren't performing as well anymore. The nerfs are worsening Meta Knight quickly and quickly, so right now he's stuck here and I'm not sure if he'll ever get back to A tier. Ness is so overrated; he's extremely easily gimped, and then placed off stage rather easily too, he has some other annoying flaws to screw him up, and he has many bad matchups or evenish matchups, including a ton of way lower-tiered characters too. He also has a -3 matchup aganist a top tier, which severely screws him up, and then a few other -2s aganist top tiers, and screws him up yet even more. Ness is so screwed in the future, and the only reason he's staying so high right now is due to FOW, Shaky, and Nakat's results (And all three aren't performing as good anymore, mainly Nakat). Pikachu is basicially considered overrated so badly by players (espicially the CCI) that he's underrated. Pikachu is most likely better than Ness, but I kept him lower due to Esam and Z being the only players with solo-main results with him, and Z has disappeared and Esam is bustering a ton. Pikachu's theory has dropped a good amount, but that doesn't make him a mid tier. He's still defitenly high tier. He has great recovery and edgeguarding, good aierals, good combos, good throws, good up tilt and down tilt, and good smashes outside the kill power issue. He has good frame data with most moves too outside of landing lag. He also has a good matchup spread, including some positive or even matchups aganist many top tiers. Toon Link's theory is a little worse than the rest here (Except possibly Ness), But his matchup spread and results all fit this tier, so I figured he should be here. Hyuga gets good result with him, and he has some good matchups aganist a good ZSS one. I think once people learn to use shield more and play more defensivly, however, Toon Link will fall a little bit.

B::4greninja::4lucario::4falcon::4yoshi::4pit::4darkpit::4luigi::4rob::4pacman::4myfriends::4dk::4peach:(:4corrin:?)

B tier consists of characters that are also high tier, but are a little worse in the long run. However, they still have good results, good theory, and a good matchup spread (or at least 2 of those). Now that we're getting to less popular characters, i won't look at each character and explain (Unless you ask), but I will look at some that are underrated or overrated.

For one thing, Greninja wasn't as good as we were hyping him to be after Beast, considering he got 25th at Pound and 17th at GOML, and even his europe results are a little worse. However, I feel that Greninja's theory is pretty good, and his matchup spread is pretty good too. Greninja defitenly loses to :4sheik::4sonic::4fox:, but after that, they aren't even definite. That means a lot, and a ton of the remaining top tiers are even or slightly advantageous for Greninja.

For Yoshi, I feel that his theory is great, and his results support this exact spot a ton. His matchup spread may not be the best for this area though. Raptor got 17th at Pound and The Wall gets good results in Texas and other regions, and got around 49th at Genesis iirc.

The Pits's matchup spread has gone from fairly good to fairly bad lately, and his theory is dropping a bit, but I feel that his theory is at least good enough to let him stay up here. He lacks results, but Earth and Paseriman at least do stuff with him.

Rob is defitenly overrated in theory and results. People say Holy is the best player, but then how come he alway places 25th or 17th at nationals? 8bitman does better than that. Even 8bitman doesn't place that well really. His theory is good, but his matchup spread is crap and that severly lowers him to this point and no higher. He has like no notable matchups above him, except for maybe Luigi and like one more maybe. He has many crap top tier matchups as well, and he loses to many mid tiers well below him.

For Pac-Man, I don't understand why anyone would EVER place gim below 30th. his results may not be the best since Abadango dropped him, but his theory is still amazing, as is his matchup spread. He beats a good amount of top tiers and characters near them, and goes even with a lot of others too. He has good specials, good recovery, good zoning, good aierals, and some good ground moves, along with many tricks he can do with his projectiles. I don't see any reason at all to place him lower than top 30.

For DK, I feel that his matchup spread is too lackluster for him to be top 25, and that his theory isn't quite that good. DKWill also isn't performing as good so... yea, top 25 comes from ignorance.

For Corrin, idk whether he's in this or C, but he has WAY less theory than people say and his matchup spread isn't the best in total. He just does pretty good aganist certain character, and becomes a counterpick character mainly.

C::4olimar::4marth::4wario::4robinm::4lucina::4wiifit:(:4corrin:?)

C is basicially one of three mid tiers. These characters are atill good, but may be situational and probably not solo-mainable (Exception being possibly Marth).

For Marth I feel that he has too many flaws and too little strengths to theoritctially be high tier. His matchup spread is pretty bad too outside of a few random good ones such as Mario. The overhyping is rediculous; Like, OK, Marth exists now, STOP OVERHYPING HIM PLEASE!!!!!!!! My god, it's rediculous.

I don't see anything else being controversial so I'll just go to the next tier.

D::4lucas::4kirby::4gaw::4samus::4duckhunt:

D tier consists of character that are still good but are usually not solo main-able and will be REALLY hard to get good results at nationals with.

Lucas could possibly be C, but I want to see more results with him. That's all I need to say about him really.

Mr. Game and Watch is defitenly underrated, his theory is pretty good due to his good combos, good recovery, good aierals, dash attack, jab, smashes, and tilts, and good throws. Regi gets good results with him as well, and he has some notable winning or evenish matchups aganist Top or high tiers, such as Pikachu, who he is infamous for beating.

Duck Hunt is odd. He has great strengths and a good matchup spread, along with amazing results from YOU3, Brood, Raito, and Dandypenguin, as well as good results froom a few others top.

E::4bowser::4shulk::4palutena::4falco::4charizard::4bowserjr::4drmario::4link::4littlemac:

E tier is either low-mid or low tier; It depends on what you think it is. Bowser and Shulk were lower due to their theory being pretty good (And in Shulk's case, matchup spread), but now that they have some results, they could be D tier by this point really. Palutena has great results from TLTC, Prince Ramen, and Iceninja, so I decided she would belong around the top of this tier, but below Bowser and Shulk. Her theory is also better than people say imo. Those three are a little better than the rest of this tier. Charizard doesn't have a single result, but he has good theory, so I figured I could put him here.

As for Dr. Mario, Link, and Little Mac, I feel that their flaws are too extremely bad that theor strengths simply keep them out of D tier and their flaws outweigh their strengths. All there is about it really.

F::4miigun::4jigglypuff::4miisword::4dedede::4ganondorf::4zelda::4miibrawl:

Miis are 1111.

For Jigglypuff, I explained my reasonings in an above post. I don't really have time atm, I'll probably quote it here tonight. Just check the previous post.

Also, 2000th post!

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Wintermelon43 Wintermelon43 - You have to be the only person who regularly votes on this thread who says that Marth is "overrated". Literally nobody else here thinks Marth is overrated. If anything, you are indeed the one with the wrong opinion. As such, stop forcibly telling us we are all wrong.

As the post above me by Nidtendofreak Nidtendofreak points out, just look at Marth's results. You are heavily underestimating a character that is getting those kind of results.

Last edited:

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
Even the Link hatred is a bit much. Dunno if people know what good Links actually do when tasked to face one. I know for sure I can get destroyed by a good Marth

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Wintermelon43 Wintermelon43 - You have to be the only person who regularly votes on this thread who says that Marth is "overrated". Literally nobody else here thinks Marth is overrated. If anything, you are indeed the one with the wrong opinion. As such, stop forcibly telling us we are all wrong.
He's not "forcibly telling us" anything. It's his opinion and that's fine. If he thinks Marth is overrated, he must have some reason and we should just let him believe what he wants. As we all know, group consensus does not make something true. If everyone in the thread agrees that Marth is not overrated, that does not necessarily mean that he is not overrated in reality (as we have seen in the past, group consensus has been wrong about a LOT of things).

I, personally, disagree with @Wintermelon about Marth's viability. However, we should not stop him from believing what he wants.

D

Deleted member

How is Marth getting a lot of results then if his matchup spread and theory is supposedly "no way top 30"?
The same reason he's adamant :4link: is bottom tier when he both gets decent results and has a solid toolkit overall.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
The same reason he's adamant :4link: is bottom tier when he both gets decent results and has a solid toolkit overall.
I put Link at top of bottom 10 or right above bottom 10.
How is Marth getting a lot of results then if his matchup spread and theory is supposedly "no way top 30"?
Then how has :4olimar::4palutena::4samus::4duckhunt::4wiifit::4gaw: etc gotten good results then?

Marth loses -2 or more to many top tiers (Although there are a few he beats or are evenish with). Additionally, his strengths aren't really that powerful, and his flaws, while not that bad, are a little worse than many of his strengths.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
He's not "forcibly telling us" anything. It's his opinion and that's fine. If he thinks Marth is overrated, he must have some reason and we should just let him believe what he wants. As we all know, group consensus does not make something true. If everyone in the thread agrees that Marth is not overrated, that does not necessarily mean that he is not overrated in reality (as we have seen in the past, group consensus has been wrong about a LOT of things).

I, personally, disagree with @Wintermelon about Marth's viability. However, we should not stop him from believing what he wants.
Oh, I know he is allowed to have his own opinion (in fact, I am positive I edited my post to include a phrase along those lines, I must clicked cancel instead of save).

However, my point is, nobody is overrating Marth, at all. Marth has proof to be where he is. If anything, the amount of results he's been getting alone may even point toward him being higher, but that's by the by. At the least, Marth's placement is warranted by consistent high placing results.

Marth might have a few problems (such as a few moves with overall lackluster active frame duration, or reliance on tipping), but for me, the results he's been getting actually show us, that not only is he a viable pick, but more importantly, they show us how little of a problem these so called problems are. If players are performing with Marth, then the problems he harbors as a character, aren't actually extremely problematic. Sure, they make the reality of him becoming an actual high tier character cloudy, but they aren't enough to keep him down, not with the consistency, and the amount of results he's been getting.

Wintermelon43 Wintermelon43 - matchup spreads are becoming very questionable, not just for Marth, but for a lot of characters. For example, it's been commonly believed that Marth loses to ZSS, but on more than one occasion, Marth has beaten ZSS rather easily (the most recent and notable example of Mr E beating Nairo). Marth's strengths potentially do outweigh his flaws, because as results have shown, Marth's "flaws" can't be that bad if he's scoring high. Secondly, most matchup spreads for Marth have little to draw from, as up until 1.1.4, he was rather underused. With Marth becoming more common, beating out many characters initially thought to struggle against, more evidence is cropping up in Marth's favour. You have to look at things as a whole.

---

Anyway, I wanted to post this here earlier, but forgot...

You guys might find these interesting; it's the amount of top 16 results characters have earned since the day 1.1.6 dropped, up to June 5th - http://smashboards.com/threads/4br-...ive-impressions.429826/page-439#post-21232078.

Characters of most note:

:4sheik:,:4diddy:,:4cloud:: Sheik still has noticeably more results than the other characters, even after the nerfs. Points more toward the fact of her being still among the top 3, with Diddy and Cloud, who also have the 2nd and 3rd most results.

:4fox:: Actually just a few results short of matching Cloud. Fox has been making big rises lately. While he hasn't done anything super huge, he's consistently placing well. It will be interesting to see how he gets on at the next few super majors.

:4mario:,:4sonic:,:rosalina:,:4zss:: These characters are the next top placers. Rosalina and ZSS have a smaller playerbase than Mario and Sonic, but nonetheless, they still get great results.

:4metaknight:: Still getting great results after his nerfs. While it was established early on that his nerfs didn't hit him as hard as first thought, it's nice to have confirmation he can still get those top placements.

:4falcon:: The "overrated" character. Whatever you think of him, he's still getting some of the best results.

:4ryu:: Here things get interesting. Claims have been popping up everywhere that Ryu could be the best character in the game. Until we start seeing results at least on the line of Mario consistency, or until he wins a super major, I can't see it. Nonetheless, he's still one of the best scorers so far in 1.1.6, and I see no reason why he isn't well into the top 10, at least around the 8th position.

:4marth:: Marth is 12th out of the 47 characters that have gotten top 16 results. As such, that essentially makes him the 12th out of 58 potential characters if you are going off of all characters. That alone speaks volumes about his viability as a character. While he has a few issues, as I said above, the amount of results show that Marth's problems aren't enough to keep him as an unviable character. An unviable, overrated character? Certainly not. A high tier character? Meh, potentially... but, a viable character, with enough proof to be up there with characters like DK, Luigi and Ike? Hell yes.

:4pikachu:: ESAM can't have gotten all the results alone here. People go on about ESAM being his only representation, but that's just not the case, so for Pikachu to still be this high up shows he's still relevant in the metagame. Yes, lack of representation overall does hurt him, but he's obviously doing something right.

:4bayonetta:: The next character, at 14th out of 47 recorded characters, is Bayonetta. Her nerfs have certainly impacted her, but her results show that she's 100% not down and out, and still a relevant character in the metagame. On top of that, she's still relatively new in her new form (1.1.6), while all the characters above have had far longer to develop and flesh out. Her able to do this well on that basis shows she's still a fantastic character.

Things start to get a bit boring from here, with characters you'd sort of expect to see, like :4dk:,:4tlink:,:4greninja: and :4myfriends:. However, as you near the bottom, there are a couple of notable characters with next to no results, that in theory, should be getting them, and they are...

:4corrin:, :4villager: and :4mewtwo:: These characters could be lower down for a number of reasons, most likely due to lack of representation. The only one I feel that might make sense in some form, is Corrin. While I believe Corrin to still be good, he's currently being hella overrated, and ZeRo thinking he's top 10 doesn't help. Corrin's results are still overall poor, and has nothing overly hype to distinguish himself from the likes of Marth and Ike, both of whom are getting more results than him. I feel Corrin is still good, and around the level of said two characters, but these results just prove that he's being overrated by many. Villager and Mewtwo are considered top threats in the metagame, but still are getting overall below average to poor results. I think if we give it more time, they'll rise more (moreso Mewtwo), but it's interesting that characters that are considered below them, such as Marth, Ike, Mega Man, DK, Toon Link, Greninja, ROB etc, are still out performing them. I have no doubt in saying these characters are still fantastic, but will they stay up here, considering other characters are on the rise? Only time will tell.

With no placements from characters like :4feroy:, :4ganondorf: and :4jigglypuff:, this just adds more fuel to the fire of them being poor characters. Heck, even :4zelda:got a couple of placements when these couldn't/didn't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mewtwo's a character with a high learning curve that requires a deep knowledge of Smash 4 itself and a lot of discipline. Losing a stock at around 60-70% can be real taxing for the Mewtwo player and requires them to keep their head up through the match all the time. I'm not surprised that his results are poor since he's going to ward off new players potentially due to his biggest flaws (large frame, light weight, poor CQC and mediocre frame data) look unappealing on paper, but whenever a high level Mewtwo shows up at a major they usually perform well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Mewtwo's a character with a high learning curve that requires a deep knowledge of Smash 4 itself and a lot of discipline. Losing a stock at around 60-70% can be real taxing for the Mewtwo player and requires them to keep their head up through the match all the time. I'm not surprised that his results are poor since he's going to ward off new players potentially due to his biggest flaws (large frame, light weight, poor CQC and mediocre frame data) look unappealing on paper, but whenever a high level Mewtwo shows up at a major they usually perform well.
Mewtwo doesn't appear to have a huge learning curve to me. I don't use Mewtwo seriously, but I still feel pretty competent with him. The only real thing you have to be mindful of is throwing out mindless moves, because like you said, he can get punished or KO'd pretty hard due to his light weight and large frame, which puts him on the wrong foot. Other than that, he has a useful quick projectile, that he can choose to charge into a powerful pressure tool. He has arguably the best and easiest to use SHAD in the game, and some of the best and safest options from it. He also has speed to apply pressure, as well as powerful and damaging throws.

It's obvious really, but this kind of thing applies to a lot of characters (not to just throw out mindless moves). For example, in the high percent range, Marth shouldn't be actively looking for a KO move, because most of his KO moves are relatively high commitment, and in a close match, missing a Smash can cost him the stock. What Marth should be doing here, is continuously spacing out the opponent, with Fairs, Nairs, Ftilts, Dtilts and getting the occasional chip damage from pummels and throws. Rather than outright going for the KO, he should be racking up the damage until Up Throw can KO. The bonus here, is while he is attempting to do this, his tipper Fair, Nair and Ftilt can all potentially KO before Up Throw. Throwing out mindless smashes, unless you are sure they are going to hit (through reads or shield breaks), will get him KO'd. It's the same for Mewtwo. He has fabulous tools at his disposal, but throwing smashes out when unneeded or using a Dash Attack without thinking will get him punished. It's these things you have to be mindful of really.

Mewtwo is relatively easy to play as long as you are pretty competent at the game. He certainly isn't as hard to play as characters like Sheik, Bayo, Pikachu because he doesn't require the high amounts of precision as these, or even Shulk or Samus, for example. If you know the basics of Smash, Mewtwo will be pretty easy for you to use.

Don't worry, I wasn't trying to say he's not good (in case that's what you were thinking). What I was merely stating that it's still shocking for such a good character to have below average results. Even characters like Meta Knight, who is in near enough the same spot as Mewtwo (if not lower), and who has an arguably higher learning curve, is getting more results than him. However, I do think this is more down to representation. We'll see how things progress. Right now, Mewtwo is certainly a huge threat, regardless of results. Let's see how things develop.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
:4ryu:: Here things get interesting. Claims have been popping up everywhere that Ryu could be the best character in the game. Until we start seeing results at least on the line of Mario consistency, or until he wins a super major, I can't see it. Nonetheless, he's still one of the best scorers so far in 1.1.6.
I can't agree more. Ryu has had one of the weirdest lifetimes of any Smash character. Sometimes he gets a good result here or there and people are like: "Oh man! This character is insane and could be top 3!" but then other times he goes weeks or months without doing too much and people are like: "Eh, he doesn't have a good future ahead of him..."

It seems like a lot of people desperately want to love this character no matter what it takes. I don't think he is a top five character. He doesn't have results to back it up, his theory, while good, has never actually shown itself to play out as well as people imagine, and his MU spread is still really weird and iffy.

Personally, I think he is top 10 (probably in exactly tenth place). It's quite unfortunate to see ZeRo placing him so high and perpetuating these really bad misconceptions (just like he did with Shulk). Anyway, I hope people will eventually wake up about this character. He's not the ultra high skill cap, Melee-revival, top-tier sort of character everyone makes him out to be.

Top Bottom