• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
This tier is a perfect example of why we don't have enough tiers for the amount of characters. Characters like :4peach:,:4marth:and:4lucas: are all clearly better than characters below them like :4olimar:,:4wario2: and :4lucina:, but because they are grouped in the same tier as characters that "live on the edge" such as :4greninja:,:4corrin:and:4falcon:, they all get the short end of the stick because being grouped with them makes them look visibly a bit worse, when they are a lot better than those below them (if you understood that on your first read, well done).

I still find it odd how we are still running 7 tiers overall. I very much like how a lot of voters (e included) are taking it upon themselves to separate these characters into two tiers. I think this shows us that we do need a separation.

#moretiersplz

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Err............... You're DMWN.
Eh, if it's really a sock-puppet account I'd doubt Mr. DMWN would make it so similar to himself with the signature and what-not, that'd be like screaming "HEY! I'M AN ALT! PLS BAN ME, THANKS!" and their votes are somewhat different, more likely than not their just siblings or good friends. Although, I suppose it would be a good idea to ask a mod to check on it just in case, I don't suspect either of them of doing anything sketchy but voter fraud is something that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Eh, if it's really a sock-puppet account I'd doubt Mr. DMWN would make it so similar to himself with the signature and what-not, that'd be like screaming "HEY! I'M AN ALT! PLS BAN ME, THANKS!" and their votes are somewhat different, more likely than not their just siblings or good friends. Although, I suppose it would be a good idea to ask a mod to check on it just in case, I don't suspect either of them of doing anything sketchy but voter fraud is something that shouldn't be taken lightly.
Believe me, I've seen some really crappy sockpuppets before. Like ones that are just as obvious as that one, but the person actually tries to hide it AND convinces others it isn't him. (I don't think DMWN intended to hide it). Those make me want to facepalm.

Last edited:

DMWN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
poe376
Err............... You're DMWN.
Zerp Zerp
No, despite the similarities. Actually, Strawbaby Strawbaby , @VizionarY and myself are all in a crew and we three share the same opinions. The three of us discussed the tier together and came to a ruling. But I understand your skepticism given our nearly identical signatures (which I encouraged Strawbaby to customize to mirror my own) and the fact that he's only posted five times since September of 2015, but he's involved in track and field, music, and Scouts--he has better things to do than post on Smashboards unless he finds something he's passionate about, and even then he's a pretty passive person anyway. I knew someone would suspect him of being my alt, but believe me--he's a real dude, and he and his twin brother have been my best friends since second grade. This video shows myself playing against him in a Lucas ditto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG4XCO3Sn0A
I feel rotten, having given out all this information about someone else. Next I'll have to post Skype conversations...

@TimG57867 I think it's worth noting that you left out R.O.B. on your vote. Don't ask me how I caught that--I really don't know myself.

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Samus' results are consistent... at smaller tournaments. At larger ones she's placing frequently outside of the top 8 and occasionally making into the top 8.
Samus' results even pre-buff are significant. Samus players have placed top 8 at regionals in SoCal, Florida, Houston, London, Vienna, and there are other regions I am leaving out. At all of these places, she has placed top 8 multiple times, spanning from early 2015 to now.

This is pure consistency. SoCal is one of the most stacked with tons of top tier characters present--their number of good players goes about 20 or more deep. JWest has been placing top 8 at multiple SoCal regions, and when he doesn't, he places well regardless--because it's SoCal, and top 16 is pretty good.

These aren't small tournament that JWest is getting top 8 at. There is no way this could be spun in a way that diminishes what he has accomplished with the character.

I find that the thing that most surprises me about Samus is her consistent results. When Chozox got top 8 at Paragon, I thought it was a fluke. When JWest started doing well, I thought it would pass. It seems like every time I check how players like JWest, Xyro, and Joker are doing, they are doing well. Most of the time the results of a SoCal tournament are posted, JWest is up there.

"Occasionally top 8 at big tournaments," is diminutive towards JWest's results, when he has placed top 8 at many regionals in SoCal. It isn't just a special occasion anymore, which surprises myself as well. The other thing is that even if he were placing top 8 occasionally, like TLTC or someone, it's still SoCal and that would be significant. The results JWest gets (which is what your post seems to be geared towards and not other players) are only inconsistent/not good enough if you want them to be.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
If you guys think that Lucario is low mid than you obviously haven't had the fear of the aura put in you enough.

I know you guys aren't obliged to, but it is incredibly annoying that you guys are voting down a good character but won't even explain yourself. Because there really isn't much reason to think Lucario is worse than say, Lucas, Luigi, Marth, or Pac Man.

:150:

Airpoizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
(Private)
3DS FC
0946-2898-1267
If you guys think that Lucario is low mid than you obviously haven't had the fear of the aura put in you enough.

I know you guys aren't obliged to, but it is incredibly annoying that you guys are voting down a good character but won't even explain yourself. Because there really isn't much reason to think Lucario is worse than say, Lucas, Luigi, Marth, or Pac Man.

Considering Lucario can kill you at 35% with an uncharged smash attack, he is WAY better than Marth, Lucas, Pac Man, etc. Even though I can't play him for crap, he ain't low tier.

D

Deleted member

Grouping :4luigi: or :4marth: with two characters that get little notable rep at high/top levels of play is just outright wrong.

I do agree. It's annoying as hell when people don't explain their votes sometimes in this thread, especially when it's one that's rather well regarded.

:4mewtwo:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Grouping :4luigi: or :4marth: with two characters that get little notable rep at high/top levels of play is just outright wrong.

I do agree. It's annoying as hell when people don't explain their votes sometimes in this thread, especially when it's one that's rather well regarded.

:4mewtwo:
I only listed characters I feel I have good argument for Lucario being better than, not results wise

DMWN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
poe376

Rage + Aura's a very scary thing. The gripe I have with him is his recent inactivity as well as his need to play super safe in order to take full advantage of it. It's a good comeback mechanic and certainly a good mechanic altogether (despite many claiming otherwise), but we just haven't seen it used to its fullest extent. At least, not recently enough.
This actually begs the question (@Feelicks): How's Luigi doing? Has he proven anything big since the big nerf?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

• 25th at Genesis 3
  • 13th and 17th at BEAST 6
  • 25th and 33rd at Pound
  • 7th at 2GGT: EE Saga
  • 7th at Enthusiast Gaming Live Expo
  • TWO Luigis making it into the top 16 of 2GGT: Fresh Saga
DMWN DMWN

All of these are all solo runs (besides James's 25th placing at Pound, he mains :4cloud: as well). Nothing too huge, but still decent results for :4luigi:.

Last edited by a moderator:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Rage + Aura's a very scary thing. The gripe I have with him is his recent inactivity . . . . just haven't seen it used to its fullest extent. At least, not recently enough.
You should be the one doing this research, not me. But whatever:

P.S. Having to play defensive and non commital isn't a weakness.

Consider yourself a witness to the aura's power.

DMWN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
poe376
You should be the one doing this research, not me. But whatever:

P.S. Having to play defensive and non commital isn't a weakness.

Consider yourself a witness to the aura's power.

Whoa! Lucario's been busy after all. I don't like your tone very much, but it's good to see I was proven to be more wrong than I ever have in all my life. Time to decide who I'll change my downvote to.

(You should probably hide those references in a spoiler tag)

Last edited:

DMWN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
poe376
I wouldn't want Lucas any higher than Tier 3.5. I'd see it best if the tier were split and Lucas was on the bottom half of it, but I just don't believe he's Tier 4. I can easily see reasoning as to why others believe so, however.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
UPDATED :)

There was quite a large gap between Greninja, TL, falcon, Corrin and the rest in tier 3, so I split it for now.

As before, there will be a phase after this one where we can change where the tiers are split (but not the order of the characters) to hopefully balance it out a little better.

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
That Tier 3 gives me nightmares, I wouldn't mind to unify that with this one. However:

2. :4mewtwo::4ryu::4ness::4villager::4pikachu::4metaknight:

Last edited:

Phuckyew

Smash Cadet
:4mewtwo::4ryu::4villager::4ness::4pikachu::4metaknight::4greninja:
Tier 2 is fine the way it is which is why:
+:4mewtwo: to counter that - vote.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
2::4ryu::4metaknight::4villager::4mewtwo::4pikachu::4ness:

-:4ness:

+:4villager:People really underate this character, not sure how he can't be in tier one. (Same with Meta Knight and Ryu but you can only vote one character up.

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
:4ryu::4metaknight::4villager::4mewtwo::4ness::4pikachu:(:4greninja:*)

+1 :4metaknight: A countervote, because as of now Ryu has plenty of upvotes and Meta Knight is somehow getting downvotes. See my post on the next page for the reasons, but I think Meta Knight is worthy of Tier 2, even after the patch.

No - vote.

Also, can someone inform me why Captain Falcon is so high? Sure, his advantage state is great, but his approach and offstage game are noticeably bad and in my mind keep him from being that high. It also hurts that he almost relies on punishing mistakes to continue his strings, as he doesn't have many extensive TRUE combos.

EDIT; Changed my Ryu upvote to a Meta Knight upvote.

Last edited:

SpaceCanary

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpaceCanary
:4ryu::4mewtwo::4ness::4villager::4metaknight::4pikachu:

I'm thinking about a :4ryu: upvote, but I'm going to hold off for the time being. Ideally, I would put him with Fox, Sonic, Mario, and maybe Sheik in Tier 1.5, but I'm hesitant to put him in the current top tier.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
:4mewtwo::4ryu::4villager::4metaknight::4ness::4pikachu:

-1:4pikachu:This character has no rep/results outside of one person who does not even place well with him and no longer solo mains him. How is he still even close to this place on the tier list?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
+1 Captain Falcon
+1 Jigglypuff
+1 Mario
+1 Meta Knight
-1 Mii Swordfighter
Unfortunately, while that vote would have been correct a while ago, that's how the old voting system worked, right now we're in phase 2 of the tier list, so the voting's a bit different.
PHASE 2 BEGINS

*IMPORTANT NOTE*

After Phase 2, there will be a few 'wildcard' rounds where we vote on single characters that are the most controversial and also vote on where to split tiers. Right now, this involves the mii fighters and tier 6 which will be voted on whether to merge it with 5, 7, or leave it as it is.

Here, we look at a certain amount of characters per update and this depends on how many characters are in the tiers. We are currently doing tier 3. Please note, Greninja can not be voted on in this round

3::4ryu::4pikachu::4metaknight::4villager::4ness::4mewtwo:(:4greninja:*)

The rules are;
You can rank these characters in ANY WAY that you want. This particular phase is purely measured by averages where each character is rated 1-10 and the average position they get is where they will end up. The actual split in the tiers depends on how big gaps in the average are.

Further to this, people can vote ONE character to move up into tier 2 and ONE character down into tier 4. The character(s) with a clear advantage over the others in this vote will move.

For example, my personal vote is
:4mewtwo::4ness::4ryu::4pikachu::4villager::4metaknight:
No up vote
No down vote

By the way, it helps to remember that you got everyone by copy and pasting the original tier, making the new one via the icons and then deleting that character from the original list as you go along.
Or just go right here http://smashboards.com/threads/swf-community-voted-tier-list-phase-2-16th-may.379736/

Basically, we're just rearranging the characters in tier 3 to our liking, and up and/or down voting one character to another Tier from Tier 3 if we don't feel like they are in the right spot.

Anyways, my personal vote is :4ryu::4pikachu::4metaknight::4villager::4mewtwo::4ness:
+ :4ryu:

Last edited:

DMWN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
poe376
:4mewtwo::4ryu::4villager::4metaknight::4ness::4pikachu:

-1:4pikachu:This character has no rep/results outside of one person who does not even place well with him and no longer solo mains him. How is he still even close to this place on the tier list?
A) Because that's where they were voted in the last voting round, vote them where you think they should be!

Last edited:

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke
:4ryu::4pikachu::4mewtwo::4ness::4villager::4metaknight:

I would not vote Ryu into that top tier, but if we are gonna split it he could maybe fit into the end of 1.5.
I still think Pikachu is a strong but outclassed character. He may not cope with his kill-problems as well as Sheik, but he still has solid tools and speed.

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
:4ryu::4villager::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4ness::4pikachu:

Can't really decide who should move. Pikachu is the one in my mind that should go down, but really a case could be made for all of these guys to do so as well. However they are still much more solid than those below them

Top Bottom