• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
While I don't ever think customs will catch on, there needs to be a change regarding Miis.

They have different specials, and not customs.

Anyway, really glad to see Pokken at EVO. Hopefully we get to see Chandelure.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Here's an article that might interest some people here. Polygon got to interview people who worked with the factory that makes Skylanders figures, Disney Infinity figures, and the Shovel Knight amiibo.

http://www.polygon.com/features/201...ring-skylanders-disney-infinity-shovel-knight

It's a nice behind the scenes look at how these figures are made. And I know people would at least be interested in Shovel Knight.

Three key things I liked regarding the Shovel Knight section - firstly, Yacht Club Games directly took note of an issue some amiibo have, and made sure to avoid it in their design:

Many of the Smash Bros. characters — all taken directly from each respective characters' Smash Bros. poses in the games — look down. Shovel Knight also initially looked down, and Yacht Club felt people placing it on their desks wouldn't be able to see the figure in the coolest pose or angle that way.
Secondly, Yacht Club Games felt that retailers were asking for too much of the Shovel Knight amiibo, worrying he might be overstocked.

The other trick — especially for amiibo figures, which have been plagued with stock issues — is figuring out how many units to produce. At the time of this interview, it was something Yacht Club was still trying to figure out, and the orders were changing every day. Also, for Shovel Knight specifically, Yacht Club has a relativity new indie character that might not be as well known to consumers as, say, a Mario or Bowser figure.

"I think retailers have really overblown expectations because they can't keep them on shelves, right?" D'Angelo says. "They are coming to us ordering two to four times what they should be ordering."
Thirdly - they may very likely make more Shovel Knight branded amiibo!

But once Shovel Knight does hit shelves, it will mark the end of a nearly year-long process of learning how to do something totally different from what the studio knows how to do: make games. It was a huge learning process, but Yacht Club is already thinking about doing it again.

"We've gone through the pain of doing it once," D'Angelo says. "All of these things take a really long time to figure out, and it feels like if we don't do another one, that seems like a waste almost. For us, it's so cool to have something that is in our game that is this real thing out in the world."

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To be fair, there's like one good Palutena main out there, Aerolink, and the reasons why not a lot of people have picked up the character is pretty obvious so to say that there aren't a ton of results with her isn't exactly a surprise.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yes. Certain characters become radically more viable with customs.
Yes. Some characters become toxic with their customs.
Yes. Some customs get characters out of 100% useless moves (in certain match ups).
Yes. Palutena's default specials are pretty garbage and she benefits GREATLY by getting everything.

But it is Miis that go on it the most.
We've seen it in certain stages.
Where we have specific sets for builds of size and customs.
While being the "you can kinda make anything" character.
We have already seen great steps to getting defined variance.
They're the first step we'll be seeing, if any, for customs being generally legal.

Edit: By this, I mean you see SOME places holding non-custom tourneys that allow these "template" miis.

Double Edit: What I mean by all this is that while Palutena is the "standard" character who benefits to the naked eye the most from customs; Miis are such a different entity that they seem to be the priority and with their integration it's a "restricted freedom."

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
The whole customs debate drives me up a wall because there's a good number of characters that strongly benefit from them. :4bowser::4charizard::4dk::4drmario::4ganondorf::4link::4lucina::4marth::4megaman::4palutena::4shulk::4wiifit: are given really nice boosts and half of these characters were arguably viable with them on even before customs were banned and they got various buff dumps in the following months. This frustrates me to no end because :4bowser::4dk::4wiifit: are so close to being inarguably viable right now thanks to the patches and only really minor things are holding them back. With customs, :4charizard::4megaman::4palutena::4shulk: are significantly better with them on so people who play these characters are royally screwed over by them being off.
This conversation's actually happening over a tournament I'm going to this weekend as well. I want to see customs become a thing, but while there have been buffs to some customs, DLC characters are still going without. Should customs be introduced into the meta, DLC characters would be left at a disadvantage.

It's a shame the game's developers can't even make up their mind on how far they want to support customs; it's no wonder why the fan base can't come to a consensus.

For reference, the tournament in question is allowing Miis with any customs on a default body, but the point in contention now is whether a player may change their moveset between matches.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This conversation's actually happening over a tournament I'm going to this weekend as well. I want to see customs become a thing, but while there have been buffs to some customs, DLC characters are still going without. Should customs be introduced into the meta, DLC characters would be left at a disadvantage.

It's a shame the game's developers can't even make up their mind on how far they want to support customs; it's no wonder why the fan base can't come to a consensus.

For reference, the tournament in question is allowing Miis with any customs on a default body, but the point in contention now is whether a player may change their moveset between matches.
I don't necessarily think DLC characters are at a disadvantage inherently for not having customs. I mean if the character is still viable, that's all that matters.

Characters like Cloud and Ryu just have great specials as is, and you can argue they have the ability to use different customs built in, like Cloud with the Limit Break system and Ryu with the SF inputs. They already have something that other characters don't get anyway so it makes up for it.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
IMO Customs shouldn't be allowed. Miis only with 1111 2222 3333 and withput any equipment and always standard height.

This should be for all the super important tourneys like Evo ect.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
IMO Customs shouldn't be allowed. Miis only with 1111 2222 3333 and withput any equipment and always standard height.

This should be for all the super important tourneys like Evo ect.
The problem with an arbitrary "1111,2222,3333" system is the customs weren't necessarily designed or balanced to work that way, as if those are defaults.

I'd rather see Mii fighter mains come up with the "accepted" loadouts... though IIRC, such an attempt was made months ago, and they failed to reach a consensus that didn't result in about a dozen sets per Mii you'd have to memorize to know whether they were legal. It's been that long since I've checked, so I'd like to be wrong and see that they've found a more simplified list of accepted setups.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Using Palutena as an excuse for using customs is stupid.

Because of she was **** with her normal load out, she isn't that special with them.

>But she's Top Tier with Sheik and ZSS with those customs

She isn't even Top Tier with customs at all judging by her results. Look at EVO, she didn't even bust towards the Top 32 at all.

Palutena's whole issue isn't her special, the normal specials are fine, it's everything else.

She has awful kill options, all of her tilts are ****, her Smash attacks aside from Up-Smash are crap and have a damn wind is which makes her ****, she has aerials that don't do anything much aside from Up-Air and her drama data is just a joke.

Palutena suffers the same issue as Zelda where she needs a massive overhaul to fix her stuff. Customs makes her better, MUCH BETTER, but she isn't anywhere near what fans proclaimed she is.

When Vanilla Little Mac and Jigglypuff have much better results than Customs Palutena, then that's a problem.
Her customs don't "fix" her problems but they arguably counterbalance them. Lightweight and Superspeed in their current state would be kinda ridiculous on someone who was already a good character.

I never thought she was in the same tier with Sheik but that doesn't make her a slouch either. All of her aerials except D-Air (which is eh) are really good, and the lack of kill options is nearly as big of a problem when you have Lightweight (D-Throw -> Up Air, sometimes D-Throw -> Neutral Air -> Up Air) or Superspeed (SS -> Up Air or Up Smash). And where did you get that Little Mac and Jiggs had better results than her?

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Pretty much all of this. Honestly I'd much rather have Corrin/Bayonetta be delayed until late spring/E3 if it meant Mewtwo/Lucas/Roy/Ryu/Cloud got customs. Are they viable without them, it's debatable, but so are most characters who have customs and it would kill one of the key arguments against them becoming allowed.

With Miis IMO, standard height/weight and no changing movesets between matches.

FE DLC as a whole just rubs me the wrong way despite getting your money's worth. Maybe it's just the bad taste most game companies have left in my mouth.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Also
upload_2016-1-27_14-22-28.png

upload_2016-1-27_14-22-45.png

Who's hype for more curtains
That'll be 3 bucks kthxbye
~Nintendo​

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
How fitting considering our current customs discussion. Thanks for being unknowingly topical, Styles.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I still remember the reactions.

"That makes it look worse."

"Looks like a cape."

"EA be like: $1 to remove the curtain."
It's clearly Robin walking in on her (un)dressing.
Not like it WOULDN'T be in character for both (given FRobin & Chrom's marraige being based on the same thing)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
We're moving into scary territory
I'm outta here
Y'all talk about your undressing and stuff
*flings self elsewhere*

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
....Huh.

So I only just now realized that you only need one game in order to get all 3 story lines, the other 2 are both discounted DLC. I thought you HAD to get both of the games separately and then get Revelations on either one of those. :080:

That... makes me feel a bit better about all of the shinnanigans. Still wish I could get the dang Collectors Edition though.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326

Let's be honest.
Ours is kinda lewder.
FE seems like the kind of game I should like, as long as we're talking about a tactics fighter.

It's this garbage that prevents me from taking it seriously.

"What would you rather have in the palm of your hand; the Fate of the world, or DAT BOOTY THO?!"

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
FE seems like the kind of game I should like, as long as we're talking about a tactics fighter.

"What would you rather have in the palm of your hand; the Fate of the world, or DAT BOOTY THO?!"
Good thing this is 100% optional DLC and an illustration for which is on screen for about 4 text boxes.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Posting a comment about Fairly Odd Parents got the most responses and most likes I've ever got on youtube

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well I mean
That's what I was referring too
With the whole

But your words are better than mine because I can't make sentences
So idk :drshrug:
"Ironic" refers to something being funny or strange because of how it wasn't expected.
Think how
Gertrude dies because of a cup of poison meant for Hamlet. Hamlet's wicked uncle meant it for his nephew, but poisoned his wife instead. This is tragic irony.

But perhaps the best example of irony is in "The Necklace".

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/Neck.shtml

Give it a read sometime. It's short and well worth your time.

But don't worry about your misuse of the word. I used to make the same mistake all the time. :)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How many?

And what was the comment exactly?
208 likes, which I know isn't too much. But, at the same time it was only like a day ago I posted it

and 20 comments, which I actually MIGHT have gotten more, but I don't really remember

It was just a comment that I thought that "Channel Chasers" was the finale of Fairly Odd Parents and was surprised it still went on past that.

Apparently a lot of people either thought the same, or thought Channel Chasers SHOULD have been the finale''

Hah, I had a feeling I knew which video it was.
Y'know, or that

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
/r/Kappa is ****ing joke right now!

That said, I really want KOFXIV to be good. The latest teaser looked alright, at least better than the previous ones. But god does it come off as bland. It feels lifeless. Why couldn't they just pull an Xrd and go Cel-shaded?
$$$

This is probably the best they could do after KOF XIII almost made them bankeupt :ohwell:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
*explanation on Shoulder Bash removal*
Jesus ****ing Christ, Sakurai's never been a bigger idiot than this. 'It's to buff him!' The only thing the new fsmash has is more range, fans loved the shoulder bash as it was iconic. 'I can't make everything canon in the game' Yet who's the person who had Wario's Shoulder Bash as a forward smash? Sakurai. Watch all the ****ing idiots say 'Welp, Sakurai's 100% right, so people aren't allowed to complain or question his stance on things'

Definitely Booty

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Anyone else keep on getting an warning message on YouTube ON EVERY FRICKIN' PAGE saying "You're using an older version of Internet Explorer that we'll soon stop supporting. Please update your browser to the latest version."

... but you're browsing on FireFox? :glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom