• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade - v0.9.0 Demo Available for download!

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Make sure your computers have enough RAM. If it has less than 512 MB, you'll definitely want to buy more to run this game. It works fine on both of our computers, though.

To fit all of the characters, though, we've thought of a way around that. We're going to include all backgrounds and some sprites in a zipped folder with the game, and the game itself includes them separately. It's an option in GM Pro that really speeds up the loading time. So don't worry; we're working on that.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Make sure your computers have enough RAM. If it has less than 512 MB, you'll definitely want to buy more to run this game. It works fine on both of our computers, though.
I have 1.25 gigs. It still freezes up beyond repair.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
It's freezing man.

Fix it. Now. XD

I have 2 gigs of ram and a dual core processor. It should work.

edit: after looking at ram usage even after being freezing, it is eating them ramz away like a mother****er...

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Even if it's not working yet, I'm still interested in this, and I applaud you for you efforts thus far. I'm very eager to try the game myself sometime soon.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Question, is this the first or second version of the demo? (I ask because on your forums you seem to say to ignore the first.)

Cron_Ace

Smash Rookie
I'm a sprite-artist at Newgrounds, and I have a few opinions, if you don't mind..?

1) WHY did you use Paper Mario? THOSE are the worst sprites for Mario besides his 8-bit ones!

2) Why was everything small in the trailer? I could hardly even see Snake and Meta-knight fighting in the second fight

3) This game idea looks like it was stolen from Newgrounds' Leod, the guy who made Super Smash Flash.

This looks like a cheap version of his SSF (MY OPINION, not a fact)

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Making a smash game for the pc is not the same as stealing the idea from super smash flash. Tons of people have thought about doing, including myself. I have the remnants of a smash game I started 5 years ago.

Mikau1

Smash Rookie
hes just making it based on how SSB series does and so is Super Smash Flash. so what ideas could you steal when it based of the super smash games

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I'm a sprite-artist at Newgrounds, and I have a few opinions, if you don't mind..?

1) WHY did you use Paper Mario? THOSE are the worst sprites for Mario besides his 8-bit ones!
I'm not seeing Paper Mario sprites. I'm seeing Mario & Luigi ones.

2) Why was everything small in the trailer? I could hardly even see Snake and Meta-knight fighting in the second fight
My guess is different levels of zoom.

3) This game idea looks like it was stolen from Newgrounds' Leod, the guy who made Super Smash Flash.

This looks like a cheap version of his SSF (MY OPINION, not a fact)
My only suggestion would be to give it an honest chance before knocking it. I for one am still very curious as to how this title plays.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
@Coron_Ace

Please, don't start anything up about Super Smash Flash 2. I've heard plenty about it, and our game is not at all inspired by it. I've played both games, and SSBC's gameplay is completely different. I get things a lot about SSF, and trust me, we are not a copy.

Also, those Mario sprites are M&L styled, not Paper Mario.

And try watching the new trailer that we posted as a video response. The problem was different levels of zoom, and it was zoomed out pretty far.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hey first off Phantom, I'd like to say that I really enjoy your game, and have been playing it quite a bit. Congratulations!

That being said, do you realize how many bugs, glitches, and balance issues are in this? I mean I realize that this is just a demo, but some of this stuff is absolutely ridiculous! (Megaman, Sonic, and Goku come to mind, as well as the ability to make every character invincible...)

If you want, I compiled a list of all the bugs I found, and can PM it to you if you'd like.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I think that was one of the key points of releasing the beta, fromundaman. I'd send your opinions and observations in right away.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Did the download get fixed then? Because mine still will not load without crashing...

And you guys really should accept all the game testers you can get (including lists of all of the bugs that are discovered). If I can get the game working I'd be happy to compile a list of my own (haha, assuming I find any).

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Hey first off Phantom, I'd like to say that I really enjoy your game, and have been playing it quite a bit. Congratulations!

That being said, do you realize how many bugs, glitches, and balance issues are in this? I mean I realize that this is just a demo, but some of this stuff is absolutely ridiculous! (Megaman, Sonic, and Goku come to mind, as well as the ability to make every character invincible...)

If you want, I compiled a list of all the bugs I found, and can PM it to you if you'd like.
Sure, but I didn't think balance was really an issue. We've attempted every possible matchup.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Sure, but I didn't think balance was really an issue. We've attempted every possible matchup.
Nintendo thought that the smash games were balanced too, and yet the tier lists have still become heavily defined. You need lots of testers, the more the better. Get lists from everyone that explain the glitches that have been discovered and the characters/moves that are overpowered. Obviously you wouldn't cater to one persons opinion, but if you find that multiple people think metaknight is broken (for example) you might want to weaken an attack or two.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with GK infinity. Show me a "balanced" fighting game, and I'll show you Marvel vs. Capcom 2. :ohwell:

Mikau1

Smash Rookie
balance is good. SSF2 characters are not equal at all so far. Kirby could KO people easily and also hard to get KO'd

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, I'm currently sending you about 6 pages of things I found (I tried to test this as much as possible, mainly because I really enjoyed the game. And when it comes to balance issues, I point to Petey's Dsmash :p ).

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
It really seems like most of the balance issues are associated with glitches, some aren't, but most of them are. Sliding and air attacks on the ground (i.e. Snake's dair is now tap dancing Snake) are a huge part of it, so we will fix it as soon as possible. Our goal here is making all characters exceptionally powerful and easy to use, hopefully ensuring a balanced roster, as long as characters are not too overpowered, but any glitches causing characters to have cheap or unfair advantages will be fixed as soon as possible.

Mikau1

Smash Rookie
this game is not bad but there is unbalanced character like samus to strong and petey too weak, also stage are full of glitches, i cant work out smash even though i set the smash ball on butn it wont appear and key button are hard to use. Key button would be better if its like Brawls or like this to me

Player 1 (Do Num Locks)

Move: Arrows

A: 4

Smash: hold on 1 then move arrows

B: 5

Foward B: 6

Up B: 8

Down B: 2

Shield: 3

Taunt: 9
----------------------------
Player 2

Move: A,S,W,D

A: F

Smash: Hold on V then move key

B: G

Foward B: H

Up B: T

Down B: B

Shield: J

Taunt: U

or it will be much more easier to let us set the key buttons

i liked this game so i wish it'll have better progress

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wait, you think Samus is unbalanced? What did I miss? (Other than the autocancelable Usmash, the multiple CS, and missile cancels.)

Mikau1

Smash Rookie
i dont know much about samus but when i was vsing my little sister in it, you know samus use a purple missile thing, it just shoot non-stop and she charges too fast and i blocking doesnt really work as you will stay safe for a while but... you'll cop the hit at the end when you stay in block just a while longer

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... Is your sister using morph ball bombs to cancel her missile animation, or is there another way to speed up missile spamming? (I ask mainly because I'm trying to find as many bugs as possible in this thing, so that they might be eliminated later.)

Shining Blitz

Smash Apprentice
I REALLY hate the idea of seperate buttons for each special move, and for smash attacks. a "smash" button I can bear, but 4 different keys for special moves? that's absurd and I don't understand why you did it that way. plus, the game's laggy as hell on the menus and really isn't very fun. Sorry. I really ould like some reasoning on the special moves!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, due to a lack of a control stick and tap jump being on, I'd rather have 4 special buttons myself, but that's just my opinion... Multiple special buttons did open other problems...

Mikau1

Smash Rookie
well samus could shoot the purple missile again when it jsut finish luanching the first one

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I wanted to post this on both topics, in case we're favoring one over the other.

So, I finally put this game through its paces, ad although it's loaded with problematic glitches, I'm quite impressed with it so far. Here's a few of the issues I wanted to bring up:

VOICE ACTING. The announcer/Knuckles voices are pitiful. I'd be happy to help out in this regard (since I do voice work as a profession) if you'd like. Either way, ditch both of these voice schemes, because they're really bad. They seem comatose.

SPECIAL MOVE SLIDE This was the biggest glitch I found in the game. Essentially, you can do a really powerful special and move at the same time with the special move slide. In essence, Goku's Kamehameha is the most lethal of these. Not ALL of the specials do this, but you've got to make sure that specials cause your characters to stay stationary or move in a set path. Essentially, I could just move around with a Kamehameha wave of death wherever I go.

THE CONTROL SCHEME. Very iffy, and should allow for in-game customization.

STAGE GLITCHES. In particular, I found it very difficult to see what place in Corneria were solid ground, and the platforms seemed really out of place.

CHARACTER SIZES. Should Goku really be twice Snake's size?

Overall, it's still a very fun flash game. I'd like to offer any help I can to this project, and wish you the best with it.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Hey in case you guys didn't know, I am working on this game too. As far as sliding Smashes and Specials - don't worry, those are all gone now! First thing I fixed after the demo. I was wondering - you say Samus might be unbalanced (other than the glitchy up Smash, which I fixed ;) ). I can understand why, I think. Are there any other balance issues?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, if you lay a bunch of bombs with Samus (about 3-4) then start spamming missiles, you can shoot missiles without going into the animation (this also works with Usmash).
Did you fix her stackable Charge Shots?

Also, did you fix Megaman and Sonic's specials yet?

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Yes - no more stackable Charges or Light Sword Canceling. Also, Sonic may now only use aerials in Spin Dash, and trying to use it again while moving will have no effect.
What I am asking about isn't the glitches - I got the 3 page bug report and have been working on those. However, glitches aside, are there any clearly cheap characters? (exclude Ristar's grab - can only be chained once at < 10% after I fixed it.) I want to make sure all the characters are well balanced before making more Final Smashes.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I wanted to post this on both topics, in case we're favoring one over the other.

So, I finally put this game through its paces, ad although it's loaded with problematic glitches, I'm quite impressed with it so far. Here's a few of the issues I wanted to bring up:

VOICE ACTING. The announcer/Knuckles voices are pitiful. I'd be happy to help out in this regard (since I do voice work as a profession) if you'd like. Either way, ditch both of these voice schemes, because they're really bad. They seem comatose.

SPECIAL MOVE SLIDE This was the biggest glitch I found in the game. Essentially, you can do a really powerful special and move at the same time with the special move slide. In essence, Goku's Kamehameha is the most lethal of these. Not ALL of the specials do this, but you've got to make sure that specials cause your characters to stay stationary or move in a set path. Essentially, I could just move around with a Kamehameha wave of death wherever I go.

THE CONTROL SCHEME. Very iffy, and should allow for in-game customization.

STAGE GLITCHES. In particular, I found it very difficult to see what place in Corneria were solid ground, and the platforms seemed really out of place.

CHARACTER SIZES. Should Goku really be twice Snake's size?

Overall, it's still a very fun flash game. I'd like to offer any help I can to this project, and wish you the best with it.
Voice acting -- that's different; we've never had anyone ask to do that! But we'll defintely consider it.

Uhh... it's Game Maker, not Flash, btw. The control scheme is much better if you can plug in a USB gamepad and initialize the SSBC controls to certain buttons on the controller. Besides, if you do it that way, you have complete customization over the controls.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Random suggestion: Any chance either Chrono or Magus from Chrono Trigger could make their way into this?
Hell, the Psychonauts main character, Raz, would be cool too.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
There's always a possibility for those kinds of characters, but we have already set a roster that we want to include in the game for sure. But - who's Raz? I have been playing games all my life and don't know any Psychonauts. I want to include characters that are easily recognized by most gamers.

Top Bottom