• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade - v0.9.0 Demo Available for download!

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Wow, the new CSS looks great! (You'll remember I complained about the old one.) But, it looks nice now.

The artist did an awesome job here!

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
If you guys want I could write a review for both of them. Since Im unbiased since I dont personally know either of you, So i dont care if I sound mean.

NeronZ

Smash Cadet
You guys have no Idea how much of a nuisance i am for SSF2 when i comes to quality.
But if you want I can help you. Menu and Stages that you what in the game and Redesign others, so dont seem like a bias sob, sure the other Devs will dislike me but who cares. Just don't ask me to disclose secrets I do that for no one.
I'll even give you a sample image to prove Myself Since I Don't want to waist your time.

(to make myself crystal clear I don't have a problem with borrowed sprites but i don't like thieves and no one told me you guys could use some things)

itsjenyoumen

Smash Apprentice
well its not like anyone thinking your a din bag and i dont really think anyone really give two shts about what the other devs do all the time look at TSON that guy goes around everywhere :p

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
You guys have no Idea how much of a nuisance i am for SSF2 when i comes to quality.
But if you want I can help you. Menu and Stages that you what in the game and Redesign others, so dont seem like a bias sob, sure the other Devs will dislike me but who cares. Just don't ask me to disclose secrets I do that for no one.
I'll even give you a sample image to prove Myself Since I Don't want to waist your time.

(to make myself crystal clear I don't have a problem with borrowed sprites but i don't like thieves and no one told me you guys could use some things)
Thanks for the offer, but TBH, we're not currently in need of any menu/stage artists.

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice

I honestly dont like this idea...

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
Didnt mean to double post. >.> Right after you posted I felt as if the first one was pointless.

And I try not to already. Sorry about that o:

I dont like the idea because I like the Crusade team as is... And you have SSF2... so yeah..

And besides... I actually like all the stages in Crusade... Although... Mute City... It makes me ... dizzy @_@

itsjenyoumen

Smash Apprentice
Same here^

lol how many easter eggs are you guys going to add though I only found about three so far list goes
1 Dark Ryu
2 Majora's Mask Moon
3 Captain Falcon Theme Song on Mute City stage :p

Falcon88

Smash Ace
:p Oh... Don't I feel stupid
Dude, I apologize. I honestly would have said sure, you could help. I don't get why they said no. Even if you did review the game a bit brutally.

I saw your post on the McCleodGaming forums about that engine you thought was so good. I tried it, and while it needs fleshing out in some areas, I thought it was a good engine. What do you think we here at SSBC should take from it?

Didnt mean to double post. >.> Right after you posted I felt as if the first one was pointless.

And I try not to already. Sorry about that o:

I dont like the idea because I like the Crusade team as is... And you have SSF2... so yeah..

And besides... I actually like all the stages in Crusade... Although... Mute City... It makes me ... dizzy @_@
Duly noted about Mute City. However, I think we could always use help on stages and sprites.

Same here^

lol how many easter eggs are you guys going to add though I only found about three so far list goes
1 Dark Ryu
2 Majora's Mask Moon
3 Captain Falcon Theme Song on Mute City stage :p
Haha more comin' your way. Just wait until we have 1P modes implemented. (Which I want to start on as soon as we make it to 25 characters.)

itsjenyoumen

Smash Apprentice
>.> wasnt it just 2 guys that didnt like the idea?

besides that Im surpise after covering all the glitches and problems so far i really think thats it for this version till the new character arrives

couple issues that i find annoying are the balance between the final smashes comparing them to each of the characters

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
The leader said it.

My opinion doesnt matter. And they kinda have to listen to phantom... I think?

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
The leader said it.

My opinion doesnt matter. And they kinda have to listen to phantom... I think?
Not always. The song list came mostly on my view. I didn't even show Phantom until I was done. :chuckle: But yes, please write that review. I'd like to hear the honest fan's voice!

My heart will always be with RPG Maker and all the other programs that belong to Enterbrain
Neron, THANK YOU. I am successfully making a Mario Kart game with RPG Maker VX right now.

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
Super Smash Flash:

Overall View:
The game looks quite well done with very professional sprites and such, But it feels way to much like brawl. I don’t want a 2D Brawl with only new characters and final smashes. Brawls already boring enough.

Menu:
It has its ups and downs. I know it’s a beta, but seeing those other icons of Solo and Vault (even options) Makes me want to click on them instead of VS since I play this usually alone.

CSS:
Theres not much to say… It looks like Brawls… Though I do like the sprites moving at the bottom… Reminds me of Smash 64. The announcer is very mediocre. Ick. It’d be better without.

SSS:
… Preview… Check, Icons… check.., Eh it looks pretty nice but its rather bland.

Now for the more important stuff.

Stages:
I like what I see… a bit. I’ve seen all of these stages… I know where to camp, I know where I do best, I know what the 3D versions look like. I personally believe a couple stages should stay with the same overall shape… but at least change the backgrounds… The whole 2D sprites fighting on 3D modeled sprites is kind of nauseating. It makes me feel like I’m playing Brawl. Now don’t get me wrong, They are VERY nice and VERY well done. But its just like Brawl…

Characters:
The list is small… But it’s a beta so I’m not going to attack that. BUT what I really don’t like at all. Is the fact that I see anime characters. I can understand one. Maybe one that’s had a whole hell of a lot of games like Goku, or Ed Elric. But not the now-a-day fan boy characters. Ick. I do like that I see Lloyd, I like that a lot. Since he WAS from about 4 games on a Nintendo system, So frankly I think it’s a **** good idea, Since I don’t want to see ALL Nintendo characters… come on.. They have people from 3rd party games that could very well be in a Smash.

Music:
I hear Brawl, Melee, and 64 music... I want something a little different from the same tracks I’ll hear in another game. I wouldn’t mind a couple tracks, but not all of them being right from those games.

On to gameplay and move sets.

AI:
Im being grabbed like no other… what the heck. I wish they would do something else… OH he attacked me… oh now hes grabbing again… and I cant get away fast enough.
That sums it up.

Items:
You do a fancy job with these You hold them near your hand.. Bravo. The smash ball is a bit tiny and hard to hit, but who cares. Hmm… Well we have (from what ive seen) The Beam Sword, Fan, Smash Ball, Capsule, and the Home-Run Bat.
Not bad so Far. Try to include some original Ideas.

Movesets:
For the most part there the same… But when you had to come up with an original Set, I see a bit of lacking potential. It seems boring to play as: Megaman, Ichigo, and Naruto. Maybe rethink those a little.
Like Naruto’s Side B… it’s a shuriken… try Uzamaki Barrage instead, That’s more fitting.. The Star could be an Item.

Final Smashes: Everyone Transforms that I can see… Except Lloyd, Kirby, and Link.

Nit Picky Details:

I. cant. Walk. Off. An. Edge. I use that a lot to set up my aerial attacks. Next up is the fact, that I can’t hit the enemy with half of my moves, I could as clear as day, See that I hit Kirby Multiple times but he just sits there, oh and he grabs me 3 times, Mhm. Next is that Lloyd/Kirby FS Freezes him and he cant to anything. What the hell. You don’t release a character that cant move after using a FS. Oh and I’ve gotten Megaman to freeze often. Oh did I mention that the AI grabs to much? And the overall play is a bit choppy and doesn't feel quite like a Smash, But its almost there.

All in all: A very well put together game, though kind of slow at times and it has its Flaws it’s a good break from Brawl when you want something different... With a tad bit different physics.

I'll do Crusade after I eat and I'll edit this post.

NeronZ

Smash Cadet
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Nice review!!
A lot nicer than the things I would have said!

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
Lol well, Im not on either side. Im just saying what I think about the games. And... you do know this is for Super smash flash 2 right..?

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
Now im writing Crusades.

And im going to put after them both:
What they both Lack, what they both need to work on, and what may be better for additional fun.

After I finish a couple more matches in crusade. :B

NeronZ

Smash Cadet
Hey though it may not look like it When it comes to reviews I'm not bias, I'm very harsh though.

@Phantom just add a motion blur that way your eyes aren't trying to focus on the defined shape and there eyes can focus more on the fight at hand also dim the contrast a little little bit the heavy contrast matches the stage way too much so it strains the eyes on what to focus on

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
Crusade:

Menu: The beginning thing with the fire is kinda random but reminds me of Smash 64 so it works ok.
The character profiles are very nice and very well done, Also reminding me of 64. The character select background is superb but when you go to the next one for the stages… it’s a grid with squares and a preview… Maybe spruce that up a bit. And maybe add a bit more color then black and gray, ya’know? As for clicking a character, Make the character themself say something. Not an announcer saying their voice. You know? Like Kirby: Hiiii. Or Ryu, Shoryuken! Mario: Lets-a Go. It would be better and you dont have to sound corny doing the announcer voice.

Stages: I like these! It has a variety of NEW and old stages. I love the new ones and the old ones are a bit choppy here and there but they are playable and well done. Saffron city actually has pokemon coming out of the door… Nice! But the stage needs moving platforms and a bit could be done to the Sprite to make it seem a bit better. I love how It looks like im playing litterally a 2 Dimensional Smash Bros! When I play Sonic on Green Hill Zone I feel like im Playing Smash In the original Game. I really love that. Only complaint I have other than that… Is the fact that Mute City’s background actually made my sister throw up… Slow it down a tad…

Characters: Oooh Nice selection, One anime character that’s been in a lot of shows movies and games. Even 3 on the Cube and a couple on the GBA and I think DS. Good choice. Hmm Ristar is a bit random and was never on a Nintendo console but Sega loyal fans should know him because he was in a good game (Kinda hard too). OMFG Its Ryu, That is the best choice out of them all considering he was an original Nintendo veteran just like Megaman…. Speaking of Mega, I don’t like those Sprites at all. it’s a newer, less liked, Megaman. The one from X4,5,6 would have worked just perfect. Waluigi…? A rather random addition with a bland moveset. But then again theres not much to work off of. I see the Sonic 3 cast is there, which is a good idea. But it needs one more character. It would be fun to have a sonic free for all. (But im guessing Shadows coming so I’ll shush). And finally there’s Toad. Now He is a good addition. Hes been in many Mario Games. Hes even had one of his own. AND in NSMBW he’s playable so it works out. He deserved a spot in brawl.

Music: All of Its nice… Some original remixes from people. Some old classics I like… Its very well done. Though the menu music… Man its just so boring… And I definitely don’t wanna hear that Brawl song over and over… Gah.. I cant stand it. The MyMusic option would be a very nice addition so I could never hear that song again. And even listen to what songs on which stages I like more.

Gameplay: I cant run?! But you know what, It works perfect without it. I lose what? One move? Nope not even that. But wow… I can feel an actual Smash Game here. The Computers are a bit tricky sometimes (Ledge Guarding *******s) But I feel a tad challenged when I fight them. This feel is like a 2D Smash that could belong on the DS. I’ve always wanted a 2D smash And I just got it…. With small bugs and silly Ai sometimes. (trying to run back and forth on a platform above me isn’t gonna hit me ;3) I have seen the new bits of the next version with Team battle, Random, And other goodies so I wont bother mentioning them as missing here… But this wasn’t going to be all praise. When the players get close to their icons I don’t want a huge Mario or Ryu face where I am. Those need to get transparent when close to players. Its annoying. As for items. Like I said for flash, BE CREATIVE, make some original ones. Im sure fans would love to see things from other games!

Movesets: They all seem to be good, But It really doesn’t show with Waluigi.. But Ryu shines. His moves all work great. He’s actually my main because he feels so much like he belongs. And Ristar has a nice moveset too. It works well. Toads is a bit iffy, But it works. Oh and I actually like how you changed some characters FS. Like Luigis. I like playing as him now because its so fun to hit people with bubbles out of a vacuum cleaner, Same with the minor edits to some of them. Like Links -> B Its Helm Splitter! It works great and is a mighty fine addition instead of a silly boomerang that does barely anything.

For the both of them:

More Items. You cant have fun with the same 4 or 5.

Item switch. I don’t like B-Bomb. I want it gone. So what do I do? Play with all items or none. I don’t like that.

Creative additions: Don’t just throw in old items use made up ones that are creative. Use your imagination. It hasn’t dried up.

MyMusic: Definitely. I can hear what I want to. And I mean really the Mymusic from brawl. Not litterally my own music.

Make every character have a stage from the series their from: Poor Ryu doesn’t have anything. Or Lloyd in Flash’s case.

And that’s about it.

Final Choices.

Overall Gameplay:
Crusade>Flash.

You cant have a game with “Smash Bros” in it If it doesn’t play almost identically to it.

Characters:
Crusade> Flash

They did a better job with the move sets and character choices. I don’t want anime characters invading my game.

Stages:
Crusade=/=Flash

Depends if you want stages from the games or original and mixed stages. I personally prefer Crusades original feel.

Menus:
Crusade>Flash

The menus are animated to the point its just fun to sit there and watch em for a couple of seconds.

AI:
Crusade>Flash

Im not being grabbed every 2 seconds. Nuff said.

Final Choice:
Crusade. It feels just like a Smash. You cant beat that. Flash Feels like a rip off with loads of errors with many things missing/messed up. Even if it does look nice. Graphics, Do not make the game.

NeronZ

Smash Cadet
Not to be snooty but it looks a bit bias... SSBC wins in every category and ties in the one it didn't win :p
ha ha oh well lol time to pass this on to the MG dudes this could really be beneficial
Nice one!

itsjenyoumen

Smash Apprentice
:p Kinda reviewed the characters badly seriously who cares what characters are but in as long as they play well the only complained i have in SSF2 are

1 The AI is weaksauce
2 Needs more interesting stages *Same with SSBC*
3 Too many glitches compare to SSBC
4 Same music but at least you can mute to play your own

Good

1 Runs more smoothly
2 Quality of the stages/characters are good
3 Credits/Controls are a lot better then how SSBC are *as of now*
4 Setting things are a lot easier

*im going to edit this a bit more just busy with stuff right now*

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
:p Kinda reviewed the characters badly seriously who cares what characters are but in as long as they play well the only complained i have in SSF2 are

1 The AI is weaksauce

Good

1 Runs more smoothly

Yeah... I didnt really have the attention span to pick each one appart. Besides I usually dont play as all characters so Im a bit biased there. And the reason Crusade won is because It fits me best. Honestly, All of this is a matter of choice when it comes to 2 things. Characters and Stages. Some like the Old fashioned retro look and some like the newer look.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Thanks for the reviews! I mostly agreed with them, and I can see you put some time into writing them. Did you forget to mention that the AI in Flash 2 grabs a lot? :ohwell:

I really don't want to say too much about the whole thing but I feel the games honestly have some different strong and weak points (but of course I like our own game better ;)), but neither game is definitely the best IMO. If there were a game with the fan base and art skill of SSF2 and the game engine of SSBC, it would be a sweet game.

itsjenyoumen

Smash Apprentice

1 The AI is weaksauce

Good

1 Runs more smoothly

:p now gonna add more

Overall Gameplay:
Crusade>Flash.

You cant have a game with “Smash Bros” in it If it doesn’t play almost identically to it.

Characters:
Crusade> Flash

Crusade Characters feel very original when it comes to moves.
Final Smashes in SSBC can be fun at times but horrible against 1v1 or if everyone uses it at the same
SSBC Comboing if very satisfying Chain Attacks are easily executed and can be blocked or dodged when needed

SSF2 Gives more of the nostalgic feeling for some reason
Final Smashes feels to unsatisfying I mean seriously if you have the final smash your suppose to feel overpowered but in SSF2 the Final Smashes are a bit of a let down
Comboing in SSF2 is also a let down because its very hard to combo with some of the characters *except Ichigo* >.> Trust me I've played SSF2 since the first version was release
:3 Kirby Hats

Stages:

Not even going to bother with rating this because both are still experimenting with stage elements

but i feel SSBC Variety in music so replaying the stages dont feel as bland but appeals to replay but the lack in some stages like Onett needs to be redone with a little bit more animation so the players dont feel like Meh

I like how in SSF2 you can control the sound though so i can play any music i want for each stage :3

Menus:

I seriously dont see why anyone gives 2 cruds about the menus at all What People truly pay attention to is the quality of the sprites at times or the quality of the gameplay

AI:
Crusade>Flash

Repeating what i said before its better to have a fully develope AI then 9 seaperate AIs that are weaksause

Final Choice:
I seriously give them both equal attention if they both actually try to fix the problems at least. Ive played SSF2 since the first version came out and McCleod manages to surpise everyone for each new version so im really expecting wonders in the new version. >.> Lol i only started playing SSBC for a month and i say the only reason im taking a break from SSF2 because of the dam forum full of fantards that spam crap, mostly due to lack of update, and lack of attention from people who dont give 2 crud about people thats actually trying to help the game out by suggesting stuff, but I really do like the people here and how they respond quickly to the problems so minor/major glitches can be fix instantaneously and made more enjoyable to play then SSF2.

General Things

SSF2
Pro
1 Large Fanbase
2 More professional sprites
3 Still growing at an immense pace

Con
1 Large Fanbase
2 Too many fantards
3 Too many Idiotes
4 Reporting bugs are a pain because people keep spamming the living crud out of the in box so bugs take longer to fix they also spam the living daylights out of the sprite submit box

SSBC
Pro
1 Reporting bugs are alot easier
2 There arent that many smartasses
3 Updates more often

Con
1 Small Fanbase
2 Few Spriters

NeronZ

Smash Cadet
:I seriously give them both equal attention if they both actually try to fix the problems at least. Ive played SSF2 since the first version came out and McCleod manages to surpise everyone for each new version so im really expecting wonders in the new version. >.> Lol i only started playing SSBC for a month and i say the only reason im taking a break from SSF2 because of the dam forum full of fantards that spam crap, mostly due to lack of update, and lack of attention from people who dont give 2 crud about people thats actually trying to help the game out by suggesting stuff, but I really do like the people here and how they respond quickly to the problems so minor/major glitches can be fix instantaneously and made more enjoyable to play then SSF2.
OMG your speaking my language

I'm going to write a review for SSF2 since people are now asking me what would I give SSF2.
And i'l put it in the My new topic "Anti SSF2 vs Pro SSF2" inspired by all this criticism
any who that enough out of me

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
Voice auditions needed for crusade!!!

I have a super cool update for all of Crusade's fans.
We need voice actors for some characters we unable to receive voices for.

Right now, you may audition for the voice of Krystal From STARFOX and THE GAME'S NARRATOR

HOW TO ENTER:
  • You must record a couple of attack, hurt,and taunt voices in a good quality (For Krystal)
  • Post the video on Youtube as "SSBC Krystal Voice Audtions" or anything related. For the Narrator, try saying some character names, etc. Then post a video called "SSBC Narrator Audition" or something releated.
  • If you are not able to, please post it as a download on a website like Mediafire, etc.
  • The best voice actor will have their voice used in the game and will be given credit.
  • Deadline will be announced in a few days.
  • And...Good luck!

In the future, we may have more of these contests. You'll need to post a link on my SWF Page to your audition.

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice

Right now, you may audition for the voice of Krystal From STARFOX and THE GAME'S NARRATOR

HOW TO ENTER:
  • You must record a couple of attack, hurt,and taunt voices in a good quality (For Krystal)
  • Post the video on Youtube as "SSBC Krystal Voice Audtions" or anything related. For the Narrator, try saying some character names, etc. Then post a video called "SSBC Narrator Audition" or something releated.
  • If you are not able to, please post it as a download on a website like Mediafire, etc.
  • The best voice actor will have their voice used in the game and will be given credit.
  • And...Good luck!

In the future, we may have more of these contests. You'll need to post a link on my SWF Page to your audition.
There goes my previous idea in the review. >.>

mariokirbyssbb

Smash Rookie

HOW TO ENTER:
  • And...Good luck!

Now THAT was random, LOL.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
We really do need voices... it isn't random. If we posted stuff randomly you might see something like this:

Anyhow, NeronZ, I hope that guy superdl1 who posted on your topic here has played the most recent version of SSBC - "colors that make your eyes bleed?" That sounds like the real old one.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Do you need a voice for Mega Man X? I can get you his voice from X5, if you want (in addition to a couple of SFX from there).
If you're going to give him Mega Man moves though, I seriously still suggest ditching the MMZ-styled X sprite. That, and you could get Mega Man's MM2: The Power Fighters voice.

Top Bottom