• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Dang. I got left in the dust. I thought that Star Fox 2 might've become more well-known after the SNES Classic, but oh well.

BTW, congrats, Sarki. Your stage looked pretty awesome!

D

Deleted member

I tried being more strict with my scores to avoid ties, only for us to once again get a three-way tie for fourth with a few points away from third and second.

Gonna have to work on that.
Personally I don't see how the ties are a problem. If we get something like a 4-way tie for 1st then yeah, that'd be a little ridiculous. But otherwise I don't see any issue.

Good round, congrats to Sarki.

Just a suggeston for the future, maybe add what the current round is in the title and/or the OP? Newer people may be confused, especially with how the OP mentions Round 1 in current tense.
Well I was planning on doing that for the next Round since it's the special E3 round. So I guess I could do it for the following rounds as well.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Wow, this was unprecedented! Huge thanks to the judges, and GG to the rest of our contestants. I'm really humbled to have designed such a hit, it might've not ever come at a better time for me than now!

Honestly, I reserved that I would've once again score poorly compared to the rest of these great stages. Mostly by the virtue of straying from the conventional 'space battle opera' schema comprising the premiere Star Fox stage lineup for each subsequent game. I created my neat little Photoshop chop job from a state of dejection from my past two performances, contemplating if my chops we're just too bohemian to land me a victory for a thoughtfully-designed, well-respecting stage. Yet here, I was proven wrong.

Like, would you look at this?

Originality: 10/10

This stage is easily in my Top 5 when it comes to most creative ideas this contest has produced. The Items Plants, switches for electrodes and barbed cage, and the constant threat of King RedEye play so SO well into the source material. And King RedEye being triggered by the noise made during the battle? And being able to tell how close he is based on the rumbling of the stage and the falling debris? Beautiful. Absolutely Beautiful.
Comments like these, really make me flutter in my office chair & tingle in my heavy face.

I participate in this contest out as a fun aside from my serious production, mainly from a place of passion to share my ideas rather than win. Its not the most glamorous mindset. But have you ever impressed someone making something you had doubts on, and their impression shines back on you? That's one of those rare moments of serendipity that's extremely hard to channel from any artist. Its convention-twisting (and perhaps discourse-provoking) stuff like this, which makes me create in the 1st place. To see titans fumble.

Once again, thank you very much. I think I needed this, and I'll never forget the little tale of RedEye Chamber from the sketchpad to the job interview.

Since Nintendo's E3 Digital Event is tomorrow, I do wonder if we'll see a bit of a lull with the coming 'Anything Goes' round this week. I have been eyeing the Kirby round since I got here, however. Being my favorite franchise in all media, there's a couple crazy ideas I can't wait to toy around with.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Personally I don't see how the ties are a problem. If we get something like a 4-way tie for 1st then yeah, that'd be a little ridiculous. But otherwise I don't see any issue.
Maybe it's just me overreacting and everyone else is perfectly cool with it. I know we can't have too much variation with only two judges, but I'd still like to make the scores a little different, just so first and last place aren't the only ranks where contestants have a clear idea where we stand. I'd imagine that it might be a little hard for some people to understand how much we liked/disliked their stage when three or four stages are all within a point away from their own.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 18!

In celebration of E3, Round 18 is...........

Anything Goes

We have a grand total of just 1 day as of this post until we finally get more info on Smash Bros. Switch. To celebrate, we're making this round a round suggested by a few people of Anything Goes. A round where you can submit another idea from any of the past rounds or an idea for any potential future rounds.

But don't let the name of "Anything Goes" confuse you. There are still some rules to abide by.

1. It's still the case to where only series that have originated from a video game and have had or are going to have an appearance on a Nintendo System can get a stage. Nothing from Anime or any other form of media.

2. While you can submit stage ideas from categories that have already had a round, actual entries within that round are not allowed. They've already had their time in the sun as entries in this contest. Stages previously suggested for fun are eligible if you're the person who originally posted that stage. But actual contest entries from past rounds can't be submitted again.

3. Only one stage per contestant. I'm sure you all have a few ideas you'd like to submit but the rule is that you can only submit one stage as an entry in the contest. Once the round ends you can submit your other ideas for fun. But you can only submit one stage for the grading process.

4. Be careful when submitting stages for potential future rounds. Once a stage is submitted as entry for this round it will no longer be eligible for the future round it would fall under.

5. This is the one and only round where I will allow crossover stages like what Playstation All Stars Battle Royale did. I really don't see them putting those in Smash which is why all the past rounds and the remaining rounds I have planned won't allow them. But the point of this round is to be able to submit a stage you just really want to submit now that we're so close to new Smash info. So I'll allow crossover stages just this once.

And with that, one Monday June 11th 2018, Round 18 has begun. You have until Friday June 15th to submit stages.

Good Luck!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Alright, here goes:

DEE754C4-1B21-4A83-B05F-DBE6D279BA51.jpeg

(Characters indicated from left to right are Rex w/ Pyra, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Pit and Dovahkiin.)

Stage Name:
Deepsea Metro

Origin:
Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion

Gimmicks and Hazards:
Sanitized Octarian station platforms

Description:
The hubworld for the upcoming Splatoon 2 campaign, Deepsea Metro is full of Sanitized Octarians out for your blood. The stage itself takes place on the metro train itself, but no Sanitized Octarians will be in the background at the start of the match. After 10 seconds of fighting, the train will move for about 45 seconds before skidding to a halt and stopping in front of a platform where 1-12 Octarians will arrive and attack the players. After another 20 seconds, the metro will start moving again. These Octarian enemies are:
  • Octotroopers: the most basic Octarian enemy, Octotroopers will drive along the stage and if it sees anyone in range, it will fire a blob of ink in their direction. This ink blob only goes at a Ganondorf walk speed, and deals 3% damage and hitstun, making Octotroopers by themselves utterly pathetic. They also get KO'd at 5% damage, but they can gain a shield that nullifies all damage from the front, or a snorkel that allows them to swim in the ink they spread while moving.
  • Twintacle Octotroopers: A more powerful version, Twintacle Octotroopers fire in an arc with eight shots, each dealing 1% damage with hitstun, with the final shot dealing some slight knockback. This can have the same shield or snorkel that normal Octotroopers have. Dies at 7% damage.
  • Octosniper: The Octosniper will stand on an additional platform in the background and lock onto any random player. The Octosniper will then fire a shot that deals 10% damage and about as much knockback as Lucas' PK Fire. His line of fire covers the entirety of the length of the train, but can only lock onto one player at a time. Deal 14% damage to them and KO them, and until the metro starts to move again, the Octosniper's platform is usable by all players.
  • Octocommander: A variation of the Octosniper, the Octocommander instead is armed with a Splatling. This guy does 20% damage total and 50% more knockback than Ganondorf's side tilt. The only problem is that he only fires 16 times and must charge for 5 seconds before firing. Takes 16% damage before being KO'd.
  • Octocopter: These guys are basically flying Octotroopers. They will move anywhere on the screen before firing the same ink blob as the Octotroopers, but they take 4% damage before being KO'd, unlike Octotroopers.
  • Octobomber: These guys are big dudes, and every 6 seconds will spit an Ink Bomb that explodes in the same radius as the Gooey Bomb, but deals 13% damage and about as much knockback as Bowser's Down B. They take 18% damage before being KO'd.
  • Octostamp: The final Octoling in this guy right here. They will run towards any nearby players and try to jump on top of them. They will then stay facedown on the platform they landed on for 4 seconds before getting back up. The stamp attack they do deals 8% damage and buries anyone hit.
When the train starts moving, the following Octarians that spawn from the background (Octocopters, Octobombers, Octosnipers and Octocommanders) will disappear into the background.

Unlockable:
Yes. Complete Classic Mode at 5.0 difficulty as Inkling.

Music:
Nasty Majesty (Splatoon 2)
Catalog Mix (Splatoon 2)
Inkoming! (Splatoon 2)
Riptide Rupture (Splatoon 2)
Bomb Rush Blush (Splatoon 2)
Spicy Calamari Inkantaion (Splatoon 2)

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
So I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to do this, but I've finally decided that I'm going to submit my Castle Bleck stage for this round. I just love it so much, man.

Link/Quote of the original post (which I'm submitting unaltered):
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Castle Bleck!

This is by far my favorite stage image I’ve ever made.

Name of Stage:
Castle Bleck

Game of Origin:
Super Paper Mario (Wii)

Description of Stage:
The stage consists of a decently sized main platform with a staircase on the left side (the stairs act as a ramp, not true stairs), with four additional passable platforms floating above it. I’d say more, but I think the pic speaks for itself in this case. A part of me doesn’t want to mess with this stage by giving it a gimmick, but another part of me really wants to add my favorite SPM character to this stage, so...

Gimmicks and Hazards of the Stage:
A boss battle with Dimentio!

Well, sort of. He’s not really a boss, but he does exhibit boss-like qualities. At random intervals between 30 and 45 seconds, Dimentio will float by, and select a random area about the size of Bowser, signaled by a box being drawn around that area. After 5 seconds, the box will become solid - no one can enter, and no one can leave. Soon after, Dimentio will snap his fingers, and any poor soul trapped inside the box will get blown to the underwhere - that is, they’ll take a whopping 50% damage and get knocked around the inside of the box. Once the explosion subsides (3 seconds after it starts), the box will disappear, freeing anyone trapped within it. But hey, if you don’t want to deal with all of that, just attack him when he shows up on-screen! If he takes about 30% worth of damage, he’ll cancel his attack and float away.

Music:
Castle Bleck (Super Paper Mario)
The Evil Count Bleck (Super Paper Mario)
I’m Not Nice (Super Paper Mario)
It’s Showtime (Super Paper Mario)
The Ultimate Show (Super Paper Mario)
The only thing I'm gonna add that wasn't in my original post is that Dimentio will float around the stage for between 3 and 5 seconds before drawing the box.

[Fun fact; if I hadn't submitted this, I probably would have re-made an old stage of mine based on the Outer Wall from Cave Story]

[Small edit: Smashboards was being weird when I posted this and when I edited it later, someone let me know if the post looks screwed up on your end (I'm paranoid)]

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

Welcome to New Donk City! This "ridonkulous"-sized metropolis is home to "crowded" amounts of "New Donkers"... the brochure didn't give any details beyond that though. Anyway, this place is the newest battle arena in Smash for Switch, and it sure is huge! Unlike some other large stages, though, the terrain is relatively simple, so there are no annoying bumps to deal with.

There are also no actual hazards to speak of. Instead, like in Odyssey, the Metro Kingdom is a playground for characters to show off their agility. The multi-tiered girder platforms allow for battles at a lot of different elevations (the top one moves!), and the flat street below gives room for traditional fights. To either side of the stage is a proper bottomless pit, though it is hard to see in this screenshot. Be wary of that, and don't be fooled into thinking there's a walk-off!

Some specific gimmicks help fighters bounce around the stage. Those with wall jumps should feel right at home, since the buildings to the left as well as the blue pipe give perfect surfaces to show that off. Less capable fighters should not feel left out, however. The roaming taxis (which stop if a fighter blocks their path) act as trampolines, as do the two umbrellas placed strategically to help reach high-up spots like the upper rooftop and moving girder. To help reach the lower rooftop, the two green platforms act as stepping stones, complete with pass-through properties (but no grabbable ledges).

The omega form takes place right at the entrance to the main city area, except with the guardrails and power cable removed. Careful not to fall off! (Hey wait, what's Mario doing there...?)

Oh, and expect something special to happen should you visit this stage on a Saturday evening.

Sound Test:
- New Donk City
- NDC Café (SMW piano cover)
- NDC Band Performance (SMB band cover)
- NDC Night 2
- Steam Gardens
- Fossil Falls
- Mario Odyssey Credits Theme
- Tostarena Ruins
- Bowser's Kingdom (Main Courtyard)
- Honeylune Ridge: Caves
- Run, Jump, Throw! 1

And three songs which only play under special circumstances (I wonder what that could mean?)
- Jump Up, Super Star! (Trailer Ver.)
- Jump Up, Super Star! (In-Game Ver.)
- Break Free / Lead the Way
- Plus, JP versions of these songs

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Welcome to New Donk City! This "ridonkulous"-sized metropolis is home to "crowded" amounts of "New Donkers"... the brochure didn't give any details beyond that though. Anyway, this place is the newest battle arena in Smash for Switch, and it sure is huge! Unlike some other large stages, though, the terrain is relatively simple, so there are no annoying bumps to deal with.

There are also no actual hazards to speak of. Instead, like in Odyssey, the Metro Kingdom is a playground for characters to show off their agility. The multi-tiered girder platforms allow for battles at a lot of different elevations (the top one moves!), and the flat street below gives room for traditional fights. To either side of the stage is a proper bottomless pit, though it is hard to see in this screenshot. Be wary of that, and don't be fooled into thinking there's a walk-off!

Some specific gimmicks help fighters bounce around the stage. Those with wall jumps should feel right at home, since the buildings to the left as well as the blue pipe give perfect surfaces to show that off. Less capable fighters should not feel left out, however. The roaming taxis (which stop if a fighter blocks their path) act as trampolines, as do the two umbrellas placed strategically to help reach high-up spots like the upper rooftop and moving girder. To help reach the lower rooftop, the two green platforms act as stepping stones, complete with pass-through properties (but no grabbable ledges).

The omega form takes place right at the entrance to the main city area, except with the guardrails and power cable removed. Careful not to fall off! (Hey wait, what's Mario doing there...?)

Oh, and expect something special to happen should you visit this stage on a Saturday evening.

Sound Test:
- New Donk City
- NDC Café (SMW piano cover)
- NDC Band Performance (SMB band cover)
- NDC Night 2
- Steam Gardens
- Fossil Falls
- Mario Odyssey Credits Theme
- Tostarena Ruins
- Bowser's Kingdom (Main Courtyard)
- Honeylune Ridge: Caves
- Run, Jump, Throw! 1

And three songs which only play under special circumstances (I wonder what that could mean?)
- Jump Up, Super Star! (Trailer Ver.)
- Jump Up, Super Star! (In-Game Ver.)
- Break Free / Lead the Way
- Plus, JP versions of these songs
I feel bad for pointing this out since you clearly put a lot of time in this stage, but...

2. While you can submit stage ideas from categories that have already had a round, actual entries within that round are not allowed. They've already had their time in the sun as entries in this contest. Stages previously suggested for fun are eligible if you're the person who originally posted that stage. But actual contest entries from past rounds can't be submitted again.
New Donk City has already been submitted as a stage in Round 2.

Whaddya say, @psb123 ? Is the stage still eligible? It is pretty different from the first version submitted by RussellSSB after all.

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
I feel bad for pointing this out since you clearly put a lot of time in this stage, but...

New Donk City has already been submitted as a stage in Round 2.

Whaddya say, @psb123 ? Is the stage still eligible? It is pretty different from the first version submitted by RussellSSB after all.
I was under the impression that meant you couldn't submit a stage you/someone else had already submitted, not you couldn't submit a stage based on the same place as a stage that had been submitted in the past.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I was under the impression that meant you couldn't submit a stage you/someone else had already submitted, not you couldn't submit a stage based on the same place as a stage that had been submitted in the past.
I had always assumed that once a stage based off a particular place was submitted, you had to choose something else. I thought that was the reason why we never had duplicate stages until now.

Maybe I'm wrong. Can't remember if psb123 ever made a specific rule like that, so I'll just step aside for now and see what he says.

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
I had always assumed that once a stage based off a particular place was submitted, you had to choose something else. I thought that was the reason why we never had duplicate stages until now.

Maybe I'm wrong. Can't remember if psb123 ever made a specific rule like that, so I'll just step aside for now and see what he says.
I always thought that was because people were trying not to tread over the same territory (I'm under the impression that if two stages based on the same area are submitted, the one submitted second will be considered less original, which is something us stage makers try to avoid).

Unrelated note: can you guys see my stage submission? Smashboards freaked out and sent me to a white screen when I posted it, and keeps sending me back to that screen when I try to edit it. It looks fine on my end (edits and all), but I'm paranoid and want to be sure.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I always thought that was because people were trying not to tread over the same territory (I'm under the impression that if two stages based on the same area are submitted, the one submitted second will be considered less original, which is something us stage makers try to avoid).

Unrelated note: can you guys see my stage submission? Smashboards freaked out and sent me to a white screen when I posted it, and keeps sending me back to that screen when I try to edit it. It looks fine on my end, but I'm paranoid and want to be sure.
I understand the reason why you'd want to avoid it, but I didn't know if it actually became a rule at some point.

Yeah, clearly I need clarification on this.

(Not sure about others, but your stage is coming up fine with me.)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Unrelated note: can you guys see my stage submission? Smashboards freaked out and sent me to a white screen when I posted it, and keeps sending me back to that screen when I try to edit it. It looks fine on my end, but I'm paranoid and want to be sure.
It looks fine to me.

Also, I think Muno's fine, It's very different from the New Donk in round 2.

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
So I was originally going to submit a Gyromite stage I did for R.O.B., but I came up with this concept the other day and thought it would be far more interesting to submit. Anyways:

Stage:
Bowser's Castle

Origin:
Super Mario

Description:

The extravagant King of the Koopas is as classic as villains get, and what despicable despot doesn't deserve a delightfully devilish abode all to himself? Bowser's Castle has appeared in many forms in many ways across the Mario series, usually being the final level on Mario's adventures to save Princess Peach. It also shows up in many of the spinoff games, such as being a racetrack in every single Mario Kart to date. Bowser has been in Smash since Melee but has always had to share colorful, bubbly stages with his Mario series enemies, and he deserves an evil home to his own.

Bowser's Castle is situated in the middle of a grand lava field, making the bubbly mass an obvious hazard, meaning that this stage is a pseudo-flat stage. Sometimes Podobos will pop out from bubbling locations, dealing minor damage and knockback. If a lot of bubbles appear, that is the sign that a Magmaw will pop out instead, remaining in place for a few seconds and being a sort of extension to the lava's hitbox. The center platform is the safest area, and the platform to the right is small but also has stable footing. However, it is close to the right blastzone, meaning fighters can get KO'd at early percentages if they don't watch out for grabs. The platform at the left isn't so lucky as the other platforms, as if fighters stand on the small spire for long enough, it will begin to tilt and fall into the lava below. After about 40 seconds or so, the platform will regenerate, but this place should only be used as an emergency recovery spot or a place to charge a projectile and then leave.

Lava stages are fairly common in Smash, but this one stands out from the rest by its main gimmick. In the center of the stage, on a cycle of every 20-40 seconds, the gates will open and a Koopa Troop baddie will appear. They will remain on the stage for about 20 seconds or until defeated, and once they are, a new cycle with a new random baddie in the waiting will begin. Here are the spawns:

-Blocks and a Firebar: some stationary brick blocks will appear surrounded by a solid Firebar. The blocks can be destroyed but the Firebar moves around slowly, doing minor damage to fighters on contact.
-Dry Bones: one or two Dry Bones appear. They cause contact damage but can be crumbled with one attack. They leave behind a grabbable bone once shattered that can be thrown as a projectile. If the bones are near the other body parts where they crumbled, they will reassemble themselves after a few seconds.
-Magikoopa: it appears and then warps to a side of the battlefield, shooting magic to spawn in a Thwomp that slams anyone under it into the lava. Can sometimes shoot magic at the lava to magnify the size of the Podobos and Magmaws.
-Hammer Bro.: jumps around and throws hammers, just like the assist trophy. Can sometimes be a Boomerang or Fire Bro., which have different attacks.

Unlockable?: No

Music:

Ultimate Koopa (Super Mario 64) (Remix)
Bowser's Castle Medley (Arrangement of a bunch of the Bowser's Castle themes in Mario Kart)
Airship Theme (Brawl Remix)
Fortress Boss (Smash 4 Remix)
Castle/Boss Fortress (Brawl Remix)
Final Bowser Battle (Super Mario Sunshine)
Bowser's Lava Lair (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
King Bowser (Super Mario Galaxy)
Bowser's Galaxy Reactor/Generator (Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2) (Remix)
Bowser's Highway Showdown (Super Mario 3D World)
Honeylude Ridge: Caves (Super Mario Odyssey)
Bowser's Castle (New Super Mario Bros.) (Fortune Street Remix)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see the argument of it being a different take on the stage. But still, it is a location that someone did submit in a past round as an entry for the contest and not as a for fun submission. Sorry Munomario777 Munomario777 but you’re going to have to submit something else.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
eh, I'll pass tbh. don't particularly care enough to make another stage for this round, the NDC one had been in the back of my mind for a while :p.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
My emails failed me, I didn't realize how many posts were made since the last page... Still. I already super love this round.

BOSS FIGHT

Epic Nintendo Boss Crossover

So I’m under no illusions that I’m gonna win this round. But I’ve done some crossover stages before like my Link’s Awakening/Super Mario Bros 2 stage, and one where there’s a stage in the background featuring musical acts from all sorts of different games.

So this time I wanted to do something a little more hands-on. And while sure, I know everybody hates the boss fights in Smash 4, I’m hoping that these are a little more manageable than Metal Face/Ridley/Yellow Devil.

As you can see above, the standard stage is one big central platform with four floating droppable platforms above. The bottom of the stage is lava, functioning like all the Metroid stage lava. And for the first 25 seconds of the fight, that’s all it is.
But then our good friend RNGsus rolls up and picks an encounter. I’ll detail them here, but it is no means going in this order of boss fight- they won’t ever be repeated in a row, but these are chosen completely at random, but with some telltale noises and such to let you know what’s coming before anything happens. As well, each encounter only lasts about 15 seconds before the boss retreats.

KRAID
The first potential boss fight is Kraid from the Metroid series, functioning much like his Super Metroid appearance. He will move slowly forward from the right side of the screen, taking up almost the whole side! He’ll sidle up to the stage and then fire his little stabby-platforms out of his multiple weird belly buttons! Characters can jump on top of these platforms just as Samus does in Super Metroid, but getting hit by them will do 10% damage and some knock-up so watch out!

MECHA-BOWSER
The second potential boss fight is against the Mecha-Bowser from Super Mario Sunshine! Mecha-Bowser will crash up the center platform and break it, and then fire large fireballs in a random direction. His fireballs function like Mario’s Final Smash, so don’t get swept up! But don’t worry, he very clearly telegraphs where he’s going to shoot the fireball and it is MUCH smaller than Mario’s FS so it isn’t nearly so broken. Just be sure your opponents don’t throw you into it!
The central platform will reseal itself when Mecha-Bowser retreats back into the lava.

GOHMA
Gohma shows up in her Wind Waker appearance here! She sidles up to the left side of the stage, much like Kraid did on the right side. From there she will attack close-by opponents with her claws which will do 15% damage and some knock-back.

KLEEVER
Kleever from Donkey Kong Country 2 appears here. As he(?) was the end-boss for that game’s resident lava-area, Crocodile Cauldron, I thought he(?) would be a fitting boss here. Kleever behaves much as he did in his source game, in that he will be floating on the side, swinging himself in a steady rhythm. He does follow a specific path, outlined above, so you’ll be safer on the bottom bit during this fight!

YEN’FAY
Yen’Fay from Fire Emblem Awakening reluctantly joins the battle! He may be doing villainous things against his will, but he will still absolutely fulfill his mission just as he did in the volcanic Demon’s Ingle. Yen’Fay slowly walks around the battlefield, sometimes jumping between platforms, searching for his prey. If he walks directly up to you, he will slash you with his sword and do some serious knock-back. Think of him as a less-powerful version of the Ultimate Chimera from New Pork City. His slashes can send you across the map but generally won’t kill you unless you’re at a high percentage.

PRIMAL GROUDON
The Legendary Pokémon Groudon appears in the background! He is the only boss you can’t physically interact with. Instead, he will use earthquake moves that cause rocks to fall from the ceiling! The rocks can do 15% damage if they land right on you so look out!

And that’s all of the bosses on this stage. I thought about adding more, but I thought it might already be a lot to remember.

The bosses (aside from Primal Groudon since you can’t interact with him) can be destroyed if you do 50% damage to them , and those will be taken out of rotation for the rest of the match. If you do this, you’ll get the extra kill like Ridley gives you in Smash 4.

Music:
Master Hand Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMvIrKTL9Y
Big Boss Confrontation (Super Metroid): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAMpbG5trjM
Vs. Mecha Bowser (Mario Sunshine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucCd3OWd_uI&t=3s
King Koopa (All-Stars): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnkhxiUC7uQ
Gohma Battle (Wind Waker): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cwjG8KHN6o
Boss Bossanova (DKC2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYCwII1h70U
Menace (Fire Emblem Awakening): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_3UeBTHEkI
Battle! Primal Kyogre/Groudon (Pokémon OR/AS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V0kzLYkYTM
A situational song which alternates between all of the above songs (Minus King Koopa) depending on which boss is present.​

D

Deleted member

So uh, I derped. I derped hard. I said earlier that Munomario777 Munomario777 ’s New Donk City idea wasn’t eligible because of that stage being submitted in a previous round. But then I remembered Round 13 where TKOWL and PeridotGX both submitted stages based on M&L Dream Teams Dream World and I allowed that. Remembering that now, it wouldn’t be fair to ban MunoMario’s take on New Donk since it is different from Russel’s. So MunoMario’s New Donk City is an entry in the contest for round 18 after all.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So uh, I derped. I derped hard. I said earlier that Munomario777 Munomario777 ’s New Donk City idea wasn’t eligible because of that stage being submitted in a previous round. But then I remembered Round 13 where TKOWL and PeridotGX both submitted stages based on M&L Dream Teams Dream World and I allowed that. Remembering that now, it wouldn’t be fair to ban MunoMario’s take on New Donk since it is different from Russel’s. So MunoMario’s New Donk City is an entry in the contest for round 18 after all.
Oh yeah, I had completely forgot about that. Glad you remembered.

So my original thought process was correct. If you have an idea for a stage that was already submitted in a previous round, please check with us first. I don't really want to see someone go through all the trouble to make a stage only for it to not be eligible.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Oh yeah, I had completely forgot about that. Glad you remembered.

So my original thought process was correct. If you have an idea for a stage that was already submitted in a previous round, please check with us first. I don't really want to see someone go through all the trouble to make a stage only for it to not be eligible.
I feel like if they're different enough stages that should be fine, right? Only if it's like straight up identical

D

Deleted member

Kevandre is right. If the idea for the stage is different enough I will allow it. But people can check with me and cosmic first if they so wish.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
You guys. The hype is palpable.In less than a day, we'll have seen a bunch of Smash 5 stuff. You ever get like so excited that your chest feels compressed

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
You guys. The hype is palpable.In less than a day, we'll have seen a bunch of Smash 5 stuff. You ever get like so excited that your chest feels compressed
I'm so hype you can't even imagine. The hype is seeping through my bones, pouring out of my body and leaving a visible stain on my computer screen in the shape of the Smash logo. I have surpassed hype - no word exists that can accurately describe my state of being, "hype" is merely the closest. My very essence is hype. I have become one with it. Soon I shall achieve hype enlightenment, and ascend from this mortal plane to enter the realm of father Mashedpotato Samurai and live out my days in Smash-induced bliss.

I'm so god damn hype right now

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Kirby Star Allies
Dream Palace
Contest18.png
The Dream Palace is a location in Kirby Star Allies. In it, you can reruit dream friends from previous Kirby games, such as Gooey, Bandana Dee, and Marx. In Smash Bros, the stage has similar proportions to Battlefeild. The stage has two platforms, a stairway that leads to another platform, and has walls underneath the stage (Like in Mushroomy Kingdom U).

To set this stage apart from others, 30 seconds into the stage a Dream Rod appears (In Star Allies appearance). The first character to touch it can summon an ally! Unfortunately all the dream friends are on vacation, so you have to settle for regular enemies, which are summoed at random. When you summon them, they give you a little bonus and root you on from the background.

• Burning Leo provides the Sizzle effect. With it, the character's attacks have a fiery look and their attacks have x1.2 damage, letting you rack up damage a little faster. Knockback is unaffected.
  • Chilly provides the Blizzard effect. With it, the characters attacks have an icy look and strong enough attacks Freeze enemies.
  • Waddle Doo provides the Zap effect. With it, the character's attacks have an electrical look and strong attacks temporarily freeze the opponent in place (Think Corrin's Neutral B)
  • Driblee provides the Splash effect. With it, the attacks have a watery look and attacks have x1.2 knockback. Damage output is unaffected.
After 20 or so seconds, the ally disappears and the character goes back to normal. another 20-25 seconds after that, the Dream Rod appears again. Simmilar to in Star Allies, the element the character has is shown on both their design and icon.

Notes: Don't worry, I have another Kirby idea, I just wanted to go with my best stage that's yet to be used (For those curious, I also considered a Dire Dire Docks and Exitebike stage). It's weird, I'm so used to the Smash 4 renders, and this is the last time I'm using them.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Whomp's Fortress

How the stage works:

Players will start near where Mario started in Mario 64. The layout will look like this. (Note all black areas can be stood on.) Unlike the other two transformations, this stage can not be fallen off on either side meaning it is quite easy to KO opponents near the edge of the stage.
1528751730785.png

After about a minute, a platform will then appear below the grassy ground and move up taking the fighters with it. It will go around Whomp's Fortress depositing the fighters near the area with the water. This area has a walk off blastzone on the right side but not the left.

1528817078096.png

After a minute, the platform will then take fighters for a trip around Whomp's Fortress to the tower that is on top. After a minute the platform will reappear and take fighters back to the start of the stage.

1528817738634.png

Songs:

Mario 64 Main Theme (Mario Galaxy 2 Remix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlU-oBPiOJs
Mario 64 Main Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMJZQGwDcSI
Mario 64 Main Theme (Smash 4 Remix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNLqr0TwYw8
Mario 64 Credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ruqn1Lnexs
Super Mario World Credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mNZAZgXYJo
Bowser's Road (Mario Galaxy Remix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VSirrvaAp0
Cool Cool Mountain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6negYkhKNro
Delfino Plaza: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB1BwD7xmM0
Super Mario Bros Remix (Super Mario Sunshine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF522Q4k9t8
Super Mario 3D World Main Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3k2B2hSl7A
Bowser's Theme (3D World): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjkGGMxyxiA
Rainbow Cruise (Melee): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4eE59bBLAY

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Dude, the game releases the day before my birthday

and it's everything I ever wanted and more

Now I just gotta hope some of my personal most wanted newcomers get in, and it's the perfect game.

D

Deleted member

Sorry I've been quiet about all the Smash Ultimate news. But all I can really say is...........HYPE!!!!!!!!!! DECEMBER 7TH CAN'T GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

With all of the hype going on with Smash all day I wanted to post something to share with you guys in celebration. And since this is a stage creation contest, I think I know just the thing.

Behold! A google doc listing every known stage in Smash Ultimate! Complete with photo evidence that they are indeed in the game!

The known Smash Ultimate Stages. All 84 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Sorry I've been quiet about all the Smash Ultimate news. But all I can really say is...........HYPE!!!!!!!!!! DECEMBER 7TH CAN'T GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

With all of the hype going on with Smash all day I wanted to post something to share with you guys in celebration. And since this is a stage creation contest, I think I know just the thing.

Behold! A google doc listing every known stage in Smash Ultimate! Complete with photo evidence that they are indeed in the game!

The known Smash Ultimate Stages. All 82 of them.
Holy moly that's a lot of stage-olis. And it's still possible they have more to reveal! I almost wonder if they're gonna have every stage from all the games, to fit with the theme of having every character from all of the games... but most importantly, I hope the stage editor returns and is upgraded. Then all my stage-making dreams can come true!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well. Yesterday was exciting. Sorry, Kevandre Kevandre but as great as Ivysaur is, Ridley was still the star of the show. ;)

Anyways, I know this is a little late, but congratulations to...

Russell_SSB Russell_SSB
Munomario777 Munomario777

for submitting New Donk City as a stage in the contest.

Also, congratulations to...

TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict (1st most likely stage)
Kevandre Kevandre (2nd most likely stage)
GolisoPower GolisoPower (1st most likely stage)
PeridotGX PeridotGX (1st most likely stage)

for correctly predicting NewDonk City would be in the game!

We still have a lot of stages to see. Let's find out if anyone else was correct.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So we've got quite the interesting question posed to us here.

For the entirety of the contest up until this point, we've been scoring stages based on originality and playability. Both of which can be affected by a stages gimmicks and hazards.

HOWEVER. It has been confirmed by the participants of the Smash Invitational that stage hazards can now be turned off.

I kid you not. You can even watch the video where they say so here.

I find this to be an AMAZING feature and I'm so happy it's here. The only question, how does this affect the grading process.

You guys know the drill by now. Whenever a big change like this happens in the contest I try to get your feedback on what should be done. So what are your thoughts on this whole thing?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Maybe just like a bonus five points? You base the rest of the stuff just on layout n that but there's a five point category regarding the hazards specifically?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For me personally, it's not going to change my grading style much.

While hazards do hurt the playability score, they also help raise the originality score. It's a fun little gamble that never gives us a clear winner. It would seem like a cheap move to me for someone to make some really creative but complex hazards and say, "By the way, you can't deduct points for my hazards because they're optional."

If someone wants to clarify that their stage's gimmick can be turned off, that's fine, but I'm not going to take that into account when I grade the stage on playability.

D

Deleted member

For me personally, it's not going to change my grading style much.

While hazards do hurt the playability score, they also help raise the originality score. It's a fun little gamble that never gives us a clear winner. It would seem like a cheap move to me for someone to make some really creative but complex hazards and say, "By the way, you can't deduct points for my hazards because they're optional."

If someone wants to clarify that their stage's gimmick can be turned off, that's fine, but I'm not going to take that into account when I grade the stage on playability.
So tl;dr you'll be grading stages the same way regardless. Well if you're okay with doing that I see no reason why I can't do the same. So there you go guys. We'll be grading stages the same way after all.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
Pokémon Stadium 3

So this stage takes the base form PS from Melee and Brawl and combines the three best transformations and adds one new one.
Stadium 3.jpg
From Melee we keep the Grass and Water transformations. The Rock and Fire transformations often lead to pit fights or a complete lack of fighting as players wait out those transformations.
grass.png
water.png
From Brawl we use the Ground transformation. The Flying transformation and its floatiness is disliked by many, the Electric transformation has the annoying conveyor belts and the Ice transformation has its slipping and sliding.
Ground transformation.png
For Ultimate I decided to go with a Fighting transformation. Two platforms will rise out of the ground on the edges of the stages very similar to Kalos Pokémon League base transformation and ropes will also rise up very similar to the ropes of Little Mac's Boxing Ring stage. It will turn the Stadium into a pseudo boxing ring, modeled after the boxing ring that pokémon battled in during episode 29 "The Punchy Pokémon" in the television series.
Fighting transformation.jpg
As you can see I took the pokémon type symbol for fighting and mirrored it on the stadium floor during this transformation.
I really like the concept of combining the Boxing Ring and Kalos into one transformation. I've always liked the base form of Stadium but some transformations just aren't fun. It's part of why I played a lot more stadium in Melee than Brawl, BC the transformations weren't as bad. Every transformation in this version would essentially be a flat stage with 2 or 3 platforms so your play style across the transformations hopefully would remain consistent.
The base form of the stage and all the transformations would get a graphic overhaul so they would look better as obviously the graphics for Wii U/Switch are better than what Melee offers. I think the large crowd and the big screen in the back are classic and should stay without any significant change. I feel the background doesn't need a ton going on BC there's so much in the foreground going on that doing too much to the background would only serve as a distraction.
A stage this fun should be ready to play from start, with no unlocking. No stage hazards would be present as well.
There would be a plethora of music, with the primary songs being "Pokémon Stadium" from Melee and "Pokémon Stadium 2" from Brawl. It seems very fitting that a new "Pokémon Stadium 3" track could find its way into that mix. Of course "Poké Floats" would pop up from time to time as well.
I considered trying to make the stage highly competitive. As far as the transformation go I think Grass is fine, the windmill in Water could be moved into the background so there's no interaction with it, the large boulder in Ground could be removed and the Fighting transformation could be without the boxing ring ropes. But in the end I just didn't want to mess with things that weren't over the top broken. I also thought about swapping out the Water transformation for a 2nd new transformation. I toyed with the idea of Dark, where the screen could go completely black for a few seconds but I didn't like that idea in the end. I also considered making a Fairy transformation where there would be some form of verticality. Perhaps two platforms directly in the middle one above the other with nothing on the sides. I still don't hate that idea but felt that in the end windmill shenanigans would be more fun.
I think hypothetically the stage could serve as a counter-pick stage in competitive play but unlikely a starter. My nerd disclaimer is I really don't know that much about pokémon and I did a fair amount of research when trying to create the Fighting transformation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright guys. Round 18 is now closed. See you on Sunday with the grades for it.

Top Bottom