• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Gateway to Destiny
Game of Origin: Eternal Darkness <GC, 2002>
8-Player: No
Unlock Condition: Repeat the conditions for 3 stages you've already unlocked, and it will repeat those same unlock Milestones again before showing the true Milestone for this stage

Having learned from the stories of previous heroes across humanity's 2000 years of written history, Alex Roivas faces off against Pious Augustus to determine the fate of the universe and avenge her grandfather along the way, across multiple timelines. In a fourth timeline of this universe, we find their final battleground suspiciously empty, so let's get our Smash on here.

The stage layout is very simple, two main floors divided by a single small staircase, with the right half having the high ground. That said, the stage's main attractions are the Ancients are still trying to cause a ruckus during the fight, with each being able to impose their own brands of chaos. Chattur'gha <red> influences your power, and either increases attack power or mobility, or grants super armor to a single player.

Ulyaoth <blue> is the master of space, and will summon various types of platforms, whether small, large, slanted or stacked up as a wall. It can also disable blast zones <either left/right, or top/bottom> to make players fly from one end of the stage to the other, similar to Balloon Fight.

Finally, there's Xel'lotath <green> who can mess with minds, both character and player, by making a character invisible and harder to see, or rewriting the damage percentage numbers <won't change the damage itself, just messes with the UI> and even...

Oh, I accidentally hit the power menu, my bad - wait, i'm using a Gamecube controller, how did it..
THIS...ISN'T REALLY...HAPPENING!
But yes, Xel'lotath can trigger a false popup of the Switch's menus in the middle of a fight. Crazy, right?

Finally, on very rare occasions will you instead encounter Mantorok <purple>. Always one with a penchant for messing with the time stream, he can pull a hazard each from the 3 other Ancients and apply them all at once, meaning a red, blue and green hazard in play simultaneously.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Gateway to Destiny
Game of Origin: Eternal Darkness <GC, 2002>
8-Player: No
Unlock Condition: Repeat the conditions for 3 stages you've already unlocked, and it will repeat those same unlock Milestones again, and then show the true Milestone for this stage

i

Having learned from the stories of previous heroes across humanity's 2000 years of written history, Alex Roivas faces off against Pious Augustus to determine the fate of the universe and avenge her grandfather along the way, across multiple timelines. In a fourth timeline of this universe, we find their final battleground suspiciously empty, so let's get our Smash on here.

The stage layout is very simple, two main floors divided by a single small staircase, with the right half having the high ground. That said, the stage's main attractions are the Ancients are still trying to cause a ruckus during the fight, with each being able to impose their own brands of chaos. Chattur'gha <red> influences your power, and either increases attack power or mobility, or grants super armor to a single player.

Ulyaoth <blue> is the master of space, and will summon various types of platforms, whether two small, one large slanted one above the stairs, or a wall that must be jumped over to get past. Finally, there's Xel'lotath <green> who can mess with minds, both character and player, by making a character invisible and harder to see, or rewriting the damage percentage numbers <won't change the damage itself, just messes with the UI> and even...

Oh, I accidentally hit the power menu, my bad - wait, i'm using a Gamecube controller, how did it..
THIS...ISN'T REALLY...HAPPENING!

Finally, on very rare occasions will you instead encounter Mantorok <purple>. Always one with a penchant for messing with the time stream, he can pull a hazard each from the 3 other Ancients and apply them all at once, meaning a red, blue and green hazard in play simultaneously.
Perfection.

Back in the Brawl days, I was learning cool stuff to do with Photoshop (and was terrible) and I changed ZSS into Alexandra. It looks horrid but all the same I then wanted her in smash Bros lol

D

Deleted member

Alright guys. Round 25 is officially closed. See you Sunday with the grades for it.

D

Deleted member

So a heads up. Mr. Cotton is no longer a judge. It's too stressful for him to keep up with it while worrying about school at the same time.

But we've still got the other 3. And in that regard, it's time for Round 25 Grades!

psb123's grades:

The Khallos Express by Kevandre Kevandre

Iconic Status: 5/5

Was admittedly considering a 4 for a bit. But I think a 5 is justified. This entry in the series may have ended up being an experimental afterthought in some ways. But it did introduce stuff that laid the ground work for things to come in the future.

Full 3D
Customizable Avatars
Mega Evolution
The Fairy-Type
And of cour............wait. This isn't Pokemon. This is Timesplitters. Sorry, I was thinking of the wrong Kalos.

Iconic Status: 2/5

Was on the fence between this and a 3. But I decided on a 2 because this is the last game in the series. And considering the console generation it came out in. That hurts it quite a bit.

Originality: 10/10

Not really sure what else you could do with a stage set on a train to be honest. Well, for this train at least considering the source game. Not to mention, a train fight from a realistic game like this is decently creative for a Smash stage based on setting alone.

Playability: 9/10

The bullets might rack up damage just a LITTLE bit too fast. And you know how I feel about the possibility of items appearing on a stage even with items turned off. Everything else works out well though.

Overall Score: 21/25

Ghost Portrificationizer by GolisoPower GolisoPower

Luigi's Mansion sticks out pretty well despite being a series of only two games. This may be from the first one, which you could argue is getting up there in age. But it is still the more fondly remembered of the two. Plus, the 3DS remake is a thing.

Originality: 9/10

Astonishing! I've never encountered such smart-itude.

The size of the machine is calculated to allow comfortable fights to the perfect degree. And the captured ghosts are able to become portraits the serve as platforms in such a fascinating way. There's just one things that seems a tad off. What could it be?

Eureka!!!! I've discovered it! It's that the process of the ghosts becoming portraits takes too much time. As does Professor Elvin Gadd appearing in the stage at all.

So in conclusion, We have a stage filled with creativity seeping from it's very design documents, but I can't award a full score until the time of of the professor's work is tweaked to the perfect calculation.

Still. This is a fine example of excellent work. Perhaps you would do quite well as my assistant! Now then, I'll need an accurate report of how to defeat evil, end poverty, and make broccoli taste like ice cream by next Tuesday.

As I said in my, doctor persona, just now (And yes I mean doctor. Not Professor. I didn't earn the PHD for fun thank you very much!) there's too much of a time gap for when E. Gadd comes in and for when the portrait's are made. Some of them can also cause some damage. Though a small amount I will admit.

Overall Score: 23/25

Mt. Battle by splat splat

Iconic Status: 4/5

The Shadow Pokemon games aren't the heaviest hitters out of Pokemon. But they earned their fanbase for a reason. And Mt. Battle certainly will stick out in the minds of whoever has played either game.

Layout's that depend on which character you're fighting? Considering Ultimate's thing of "Everyone is here" that's actually quite brilliant.

Playability: 10/10

You introduced over 70 possible layouts for one stage, and kept them all balanced? How???? HOW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Overall Score: 24/25

All-Cup Tour by PeridotGX PeridotGX

A memorable element of Mario Kart that is exclusive to Double Dash. Personally I think it should stay that way. Picture this. An All-Cup Tour, in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. You may now run away in fear.

Props right off the bat for only including one track per cup. Any more would have been just too much. I also like the relation that each course has to each other in the source game. Well, save for Dino Dino Jungle. But DDJ does have probably the most unique setting of them all.

Only real concern is the Cataquack. Maybe a smaller amount for the Piranha Plants but it's mainly the Cataquack that I can see being annoying. It can't KO you unless you're already in a lot of danger though. So there is that.

Overall Score: 24/25

Gateway to Destiny by TechPowah TechPowah

This game had some notability back in the day. So some people who got into around then might remember it. But that's all it really has going for it.

I am so glad I never played this as a kid because it would have drove me insane, and I hate this stage for being a perfect adaptation of why.

Playability: 2/10

Too. Much. INSANITY!!!! Faithful as it is to source material is sacrifices a lot of playability in the process. Tricking people into thinking they're turning off the system in the middle of a game speaks for everything by itself.

Overall Score: 14/25

Cosmic77's grades:

"The Khallos Express" by Kevandre:

Perhaps I'm not as familiar with Timesplitters as I should be, but by comparing it to some of the niche franchises already in Smash, I just don't see many people recognizing this stage.

Despite having a stage already based off a train, I think what you came up with was very original. The layout is original, the crates were a simple yet welcome addition, and the helicopter attack added a little more flare.

My only gripe is that the crates don't respawn. This stage loses a lot of its unique layout once the crates are gone.

Playability: 8/10

Aside from from the helicopter, my only complaint is the walls of the two train cars on the sides. I feel like you'd have some trouble trying to push someone to the blast zone if they camped in the middle car. Aside from that, looks great.

Overall Score: 19/25

"Ghost Portrificationizer" by GolisoPower:

I've played this game at least a dozen times, and even though I love the cutscenes that take place here, it's not really the most memorable area in the game.

Then again, maybe this really was the best choice, seeing how Smash has already used the entire mansion as a stage. Either way, very iconic.

By Jove, I think you've done it!! You've fabricated a Smash stage from this remarkable machine!! Splendid work indeed!

...Ahem. Anyway, I really like the layout of your stage. Seems like there's lots of bells and whistles on the machine to keep players on their toes.

Now you do have a few hazards here, but it seems like you've toned it down a bit. The smasher was the only hazard I was concerned about, but 5% damage is reasonable to work with.

Overall Score: 22/25

"Mount Battle" by splat:

Iconic Status: 3/5

I mean, I played these Gamecube games when I was a kid, but did they age well?

...No, Seriously. Did they age well? I genuinely don't know.

When I don't know how iconic a certain game is, I usually look at a stage and its features. Does it have any iconic characters or background elements? Is there anything that would make a younger kid say, "Ooo!! That must be Pokemon!!" With your stage, I couldn't really find anything like that. Even putting a Pokeball emblem somewhere would've helped.

Originality: 5/10

This seems similar to the Wii Fit Studio.

Okay, so before you start yelling at me, let me explain. The main gimmick of your stage is the "random" layouts. There's dozens upon dozens of different patterns for the platforms to appear, and there's no way of knowing what you'll get. While some of your platforms can move around, that's still very similar to the Studio (and to a lesser extent, Mario Maker), just without being a walk-off.

I hate giving you this criticism because you obviously spent a lot of time on your stage, and although I love what you came up with, it's just not a 100% original concept.

Playability: 10/10

Looks fine. I can't think of any reasons to take off points without being incredibly nitpicky.

Overall Score: 18/25

"All-Cup Tour" by PeridotGX:

It's Mario Kart.

Once again, another well though-out review from Cosmic.

Okay, so you managed to find some unique layouts from the tracks. That's good.

After that... I don't really know. I think the concept is creative, but it doesn't really feel like a Mario Kart stage. Maybe an emphasis on karts and racing is what your stage is missing.

There’s a lot of hazards on your stage, but none seem like they'd actually become a problem during a match. Looks safe enough overall.

"Gateway to Destiny" by TechPowah:

Iconic Status: 1/5

Forgive me if there's some sort of dedicated fanbase that still plays this game, but I can't really remember this at all.

Xel'lotath is what saved your stage. Those wacky, bizarre gimmicks really make this stage memorable, and I think this would be one of the most fun stages we've ever had in a Smash game.

Playability: 2/10

I always say hazards are a gamble because although they might raise your originality score, they can also potentially murder your playability score. I think your stage demonstrates the consequences of that.

Xel'lotath made your stage memorable, but he also made it nearly unplayable. The invisibility, the fake power screen, the fake damage percentages - it's just way too excessive. The only way you could've fixed this while keeping all the hazards is if you clarified how often he appears. Preferably, no more than once once during five minutes.

Overall Score: 13/25

TheMarioAddict's grades:

This round turned out stunningly close for my grades (three identical scores and a fourth with only 1 point more). I may need to get a tighter grip on my grading criteria moving forwards...

"The Khallos Express" by Kevandre:

My entire knowledge of Timesplitters is limited to the level-making and multiplayer modes of Timesplitters 2 (which my friends and I played the everloving hell out of), so I’m not sure where this stands on the iconic level… I’ll give you a score right in the middle, to play it safe.

Originality: 7/10

I want to say that a fight on top of a train is a very original idea, but unfortunately (for your stage, not in general) Spirit Train exists. You do have a very different layout, of course, so that doesn’t factor in a lot, but I still think it’s worth mentioning. I do like the helicopter coming to fire on the players, though I’m a bit disappointed the crates don’t respawn in some way - it would’ve been nice to see them come back somehow. Maybe the train with Cortez and Tipper could’ve dropped more crates on the stage to replace the old ones? Or better yet, dropped some in new positions, to keep the idea of the center area always changing over the battle.

Seems perfectly playable, even factoring in the helicopter fire, though walk-offs always cause me a bit of concern. That’s really just a bias on my part, though - this is still a very nice layout.

"Ghost Portrificationizer" by GolisoPower:

Alright, gotta admit - this is not the first place my mind would have gone when thinking of Luigi’s Mansion. Still, it’s a very memorable location from that game, and I’d say Luigi’s Mansion was a fairly popular game, so I’ll go ahead and give you a 5 here.

Originality: 8/10

I don’t think we’ve ever had a stage set atop a large machine like this before (which surprises me, honestly), so that’d some nice points there. I also like the variety of things this stage does - it’s got conveyors, smashing things, printing things, and just a lot of personality to it! Even the platform layout is pretty original, so I think this stage is worthy of a high originality score.

Playability: 7/10

*slaps roof of stage* this bad boy can can fit so many stage hazards in it! In seriousness though, I think you’ve actually managed to balance out the hazards some. The printed ghosts don’t seem to much of an issue, and while the smasher is a bit concerning, you’ve learned from your previous stage and limited the damage to something fairly unthreatening (I see you took my advice about burying players rather than knocking them back as well). Still, the platform layout seems a bit on the wonky side to me, enough so that I think playing on this stage could cause some issues.

Overall Score: 20/25

"Mount Battle" by splat:

I’ll be frank - I don’t think the Gamecube Pokemon games were very memorable (I admit I personally recognized this stage pretty much immediately, but I think I’m in the minority there). The only thing anyone really remembers them for is being on the Gamecube - if you were to ask someone about Pokemon Colosseum, they’d be like “oh yeah, the Pokemon game on Gamecube!” But if you were to show them an area from that same game, I don’t know if they’d be nearly as quick to remember it.

Once again, you’ve managed to absolutely knock it out of the park in the creativity department. Admittedly, it’s not perfect - while not truly random, the wide variety of layouts is effectively the same gimmick as Mario Maker, so that drops a few points from the score. Still, as was once said to yours truly by psb: it’s nice to see a stage that can prove you don’t need a boss or a crazy hazard to be creative.

Insane though it may be, all the layouts seem perfectly playable. I do have one question though: how does the stage determine which fighter to base the stage on? That is, which player is considered to be the “foe”? Is it always player two? Does it pick randomly? What if there’s more than two players fighting on the stage? These kind of questions are enough of a problem for me to take off a point, but that’s the most I can justify.

"All-Cup Tour" by PeridotGX:

I’d be hard pressed to find a reason not to give motha-flippin’ Mario Kart a perfect iconic score, especially so with Double Dash, and especially especially so with the courses you picked. Well chosen, all around!

It’s… nice, I suppose. You don’t really do anything crazy with the stages, and the platform layouts are all pretty simple. Which isn’t bad, not by a longshot - the locales are pretty unique, and it’s got a certain charm to it - but it just kind of feels… right in the middle. Which is what I’m grading it as.

There’s a couple things that concern me, but they don’t concern me a whole lot. The cataquack seems pretty dangerous, but then again a player at 160% is probably dead already. The piranha plants are relatively harmless, and while the dino could be problematic, it’s a small enough platform that I’ll let it slide.

"Gateway to Destiny" by TechPowah:

The only reason I remembered about this game (and indeed, the only thing I remember about it) is because of the super meta stage hazards you included, but more on those in a bit.

I’ll be honest: I’m giving this a 10 exclusively because of Xel'lotath. Fake percentages and a fake power-off screen have to be the most creative ideas I’ve ever seen for a Smash stage.

Playability: 3/10

Hoo boy. Where do I even start… So good first: the base stage looks fine, and the platforms summoned by Ulyaoth are all in nice locations, complimenting the stage’s simple layout (post-edit edit: the blast-zone removal is weird, but I don’t think it affects playability much). But then, the bad stuff: Chattur'gha is a bit on the wonky side, and I could see his buffs interfering with the flow of combat (the same way I dislike the Dark Lord in Find Mii). But the biggest playability problem is by far Xel'lotath. Yes, he’s creative as hell, but I would hate playing on this stage exclusively because of him. Random invisibility can be frustrating to all players, percentages not displaying correctly is a huge playability concern, and the power screen would obstruct view of the stage by a ridiculous margin. With hazards off, or even with just Ulyaoth in play, this would be a great stage, but the other guys absolutely murder it. Sorry.

Total Scores:

Kevandre: 59 points

GolisoPower: 65 points

splat: 61 points

PeridotGX: 61 points

TechPowah: 41 points

The Winner is..................
Ghost Portrificationizer by GolisoPower

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
My goodness! Victory has been achieved! Great Scott! Thank you judges so much for your time!

splat

Smash Lord
Congratulations, GolisoPower!

I'd like to reply to some of the grades I got, though:
Cosmic77's grades:
This seems similar to the Wii Fit Studio.

Okay, so before you start yelling at me, let me explain. The main gimmick of your stage is the "random" layouts. There's dozens upon dozens of different patterns for the platforms to appear, and there's no way of knowing what you'll get. While some of your platforms can move around, that's still very similar to the Studio (and to a lesser extent, Mario Maker), just without being a walk-off.

I hate giving you this criticism because you obviously spent a lot of time on your stage, and although I love what you came up with, it's just not a 100% original concept.
Oof. I won't yell at you, but I am sitting here questioning if my idea came across properly.

While there definitely are some parallels with Wii Fit Studio, Wii Fit is random and cycles through various iterations during the match. My concept is set, based on the last character's fighter number, and keeps the same layout for the entire duration. So yes, if you're fighting the random button there's no way of knowing what you'll end up on - but if you're fighting someone you regularly face, you absolutely would. Technically, a TO could join the stage as P4, jump off at the start of the match to ensure the battle takes place on a particular layout.

I mean, I don't care getting criticism for something I spent time on (that's the entire thing with joining contests like these, right?), but slashing the score for something that's (in my book) vaguely reminiscent of another feels incredibly rough, demotivating and honeasty a bit jarring comparing it to the perfect grade another judge gave in this area.

TheMarioAddict's grades:

Insane though it may be, all the layouts seem perfectly playable. I do have one question though: how does the stage determine which fighter to base the stage on? That is, which player is considered to be the “foe”? Is it always player two? Does it pick randomly? What if there’s more than two players fighting on the stage? These kind of questions are enough of a problem for me to take off a point, but that’s the most I can justify.
This might seem like a nitpick, but this question is answered in the notes: "The stages takes the form of the last character, which should give TO's some more flexibility, too!" Please, if you're taking off posts because you have questions like these, read the entire post.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
This might seem like a nitpick, but this question is answered in the notes: "The stages takes the form of the last character, which should give TO's some more flexibility, too!" Please, if you're taking off posts because you have questions like these, read the entire post.
...so it is.

Ok, that's fully my bad. I'm sorry. You should have gotten a 10 on playability.

In fairness, the one point wouldn't have changed the outcome all that much, but that doesn't excuse my negligence. I'll try to be better about reading the whole post in the future.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Congratulations, GolisoPower!

I'd like to reply to some of the grades I got, though:

Oof. I won't yell at you, but I am sitting here questioning if my idea came across properly.

While there definitely are some parallels with Wii Fit Studio, Wii Fit is random and cycles through various iterations during the match. My concept is set, based on the last character's fighter number, and keeps the same layout for the entire duration. So yes, if you're fighting the random button there's no way of knowing what you'll end up on - but if you're fighting someone you regularly face, you absolutely would. Technically, a TO could join the stage as P4, jump off at the start of the match to ensure the battle takes place on a particular layout.

I mean, I don't care getting criticism for something I spent time on (that's the entire thing with joining contests like these, right?), but slashing the score for something that's (in my book) vaguely reminiscent of another feels incredibly rough, demotivating and honeasty a bit jarring comparing it to the perfect grade another judge gave in this area.

I think I have a better understanding of your stage. Perhaps I was a bit too rough with the comparison. I apologize for that.

That being said, I still don't think I would've given it anything higher than a 7. While the concept sounds great on paper, this stage doesn't stand out very well among existing Smash stages. Personally. I'm not as interested in how the layouts are chosen as much as the layout itself. Yes, the fighter number thing is unique, but regardless of what gets chosen, it's still a relatively simple stage with little to no emphasis on the Pokemon world aside from the background.

But that's just how I interpreted it as a judge. As you can see, the others didn't agree, so clearly I'm the only one who has issues. If you wanted a higher iconicness and originality score from me while keeping your gimmick, tapping into background elements would've helped tremendously. Doesn't have to be anything complex. Even something as simple as the Yoga demonstrations in Wii Fit Studio would worked with me.

D

Deleted member

Round 26 is going to start a fair bit later than usual. It will still be today but I can’t get to it right now.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 26!

Winning the poll at 7 votes. Round 26 is................

Gameboy Advance

How fitting that this would be right after the Gamecube Round since this was the handheld that worked together with it.

Like with the Gamecube Round, any game, other than licensed games, that was on the Gameboy Advance is allowed. Even if it's something like one of the NES or SNES ports.

And with that, on August 6th 2018, Round 26 has begun. You have until Friday, August 10th to submit entries.

Good Luck!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Sprohm
(Final Fantasy Tactics Advance)

When I saw that a Final Fantasy round was looming, I knew I had two options that I could get behind- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2. These are the only FF games that I’ve ever been into, but to be real with you, I do TRULY love them.

Since it seems like the fate of an FF-round is up in the air at the moment, and I liked this stage better than my other GBA-made stage, I figured I’d throw it in here. If FF round does happen, I’ll figure something else out.

I ended up deciding to go more with FFTA1 because it’s my favorite, if for no other reason than nostalgia, but it was also my first game in the Tactical RPG genre, which I now love a lot.

Sprohm is one of the few city locations from the game, and the one that Marche and his Clan must visit if they want to get one of their clan members pardoned out of jail.

The layout of this stage is fairly straightforward- we’ve got one multi-layered building on the left side of the screen, with two platforms to stand on. And there are three buildings cascading up on the right side. All platforms are jump/drop-thruable. Everything else is a bottomless pit. In the background, we’ll see a (Not-so-bustling) city, featuring an occasional Bangaa, Viera or Moogle, as well as a Judge standing in front of the posted laws.

Wait… laws? Judge?

One of the key components of FFTA was the Judge/Laws system. Not the Jude Law system, which I typed first. Basically, in FFTA, every match (With some permadeath exceptions) is governed and watched over by a Judge on his armored chocobo. One cannot harm the judges and they do not intercede in the battle unless a law is broken (In which case they can send the character to jail, taking them out of the battle), or if one of the encouraged tactics is used (In which case they grant a Judge Point, which can be used to create huge, kill-everyone moves).

In this example, the Judge has banned using the shield, but encourages taunting.

So what happens when we shield? Robin, can you demonstrate?

Thank you.

Red Card!

(Folsom Prison Blues plays in the background)
The Judge will teleport you to jail! While in the jail cell, you cannot move or attack, but you are also invincible and can’t be launched in there… So you might break the law on purpose in certain situations. You’ll be released from jail 8 seconds after you’re put in there.

Okay, Robin, what happens when we taunt, then?

So what does +1 JP mean then? The Judge has issued Robin a Judge Point. If one accrues five JP’s in a match (Even if they die in between JPs), they will get loaded with a Final Smash, even if items are turned off (But not if the hazard toggle has turned it off). On this stage, JP’s are kept track of at the bottom of the screen by the fighter portraits, so you always know where everyone’s at.

In addition, the Judge will not interact with a character that has been released from prison or gotten a judge point within the last twenty seconds, so you can’t just spam these things to get what you want. I feel like this is fair, as this means the soonest you can get the pre-loaded Final Smash is at 1:40 into the match, and that's only if you're right on top of doing the thing right on time. In addition, other players can do the same, and end up loaded with their own final smashes... So I wonder... Who will be quickest on the draw? Sounds like chaos. And I love it.

The laws aren’t always Shield & Taunt- sometimes they can be Smash Attacks, Grabs, Air-Dodge, Item Use, or even Counter! Obviously I know that this stage gimmick is going to give me a woeful playability score, but all the same… I wanted to encapsulate Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and this is that game’s key gimmick for the battles. Obviously, the hazard toggle in Smash Ultimate will just make the Judge sit out on his smoking break (With a little bit of smoke coming out from his helmet) so he won’t interact with you at all in that instance.

Unlockable: Defeat a Fire Emblem character with Cloud or vice versa.

D

Deleted member

Sprohm
(Final Fantasy Tactics Advance)

When I saw that a Final Fantasy round was looming, I knew I had two options that I could get behind- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2. These are the only FF games that I’ve ever been into, but to be real with you, I do TRULY love them.

Since it seems like the fate of an FF-round is up in the air at the moment, and I liked this stage better than my other GBA-made stage, I figured I’d throw it in here. If FF round does happen, I’ll figure something else out.

I ended up deciding to go more with FFTA1 because it’s my favorite, if for no other reason than nostalgia, but it was also my first game in the Tactical RPG genre, which I now love a lot.

Sprohm is one of the few city locations from the game, and the one that Marche and his Clan must visit if they want to get one of their clan members pardoned out of jail.

The layout of this stage is fairly straightforward- we’ve got one multi-layered building on the left side of the screen, with two platforms to stand on. And there are three buildings cascading up on the right side. All platforms are jump/drop-thruable. Everything else is a bottomless pit. In the background, we’ll see a (Not-so-bustling) city, featuring an occasional Bangaa, Viera or Moogle, as well as a Judge standing in front of the posted laws.

Wait… laws? Judge?

One of the key components of FFTA was the Judge/Laws system. Not the Jude Law system, which I typed first. Basically, in FFTA, every match (With some permadeath exceptions) is governed and watched over by a Judge on his armored chocobo. One cannot harm the judges and they do not intercede in the battle unless a law is broken (In which case they can send the character to jail, taking them out of the battle), or if one of the encouraged tactics is used (In which case they grant a Judge Point, which can be used to create huge, kill-everyone moves).

In this example, the Judge has banned using the shield, but encourages taunting.

So what happens when we shield? Robin, can you demonstrate?

Thank you.

Red Card!

(Folsom Prison Blues plays in the background)
The Judge will teleport you to jail! While in the jail cell, you cannot move or attack, but you are also invincible and can’t be launched in there… So you might break the law on purpose in certain situations. You’ll be released from jail 8 seconds after you’re put in there.

Okay, Robin, what happens when we taunt, then?

So what does +1 JP mean then? The Judge has issued Robin a Judge Point. If one accrues five JP’s in a match (Even if they die in between JPs), they will get loaded with a Final Smash, even if items are turned off (But not if the hazard toggle has turned it off). On this stage, JP’s are kept track of at the bottom of the screen by the fighter portraits, so you always know where everyone’s at.

In addition, the Judge will not interact with a character that has been released from prison or gotten a judge point within the last twenty seconds, so you can’t just spam these things to get what you want. I feel like this is fair, as this means the soonest you can get the pre-loaded Final Smash is at 1:40 into the match, and that's only if you're right on top of doing the thing right on time. In addition, other players can do the same, and end up loaded with their own final smashes... So I wonder... Who will be quickest on the draw? Sounds like chaos. And I love it.

The laws aren’t always Shield & Taunt- sometimes they can be Smash Attacks, Grabs, Air-Dodge, Item Use, or even Counter! Obviously I know that this stage gimmick is going to give me a woeful playability score, but all the same… I wanted to encapsulate Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and this is that game’s key gimmick for the battles. Obviously, the hazard toggle in Smash Ultimate will just make the Judge sit out on his smoking break (With a little bit of smoke coming out from his helmet) so he won’t interact with you at all in that instance.

Unlockable: Defeat a Fire Emblem character with Cloud or vice versa.

Spoiler Alert. You’re skepticism about the Final Fantasy Round was warranted.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think we have a really good selection in the poll now. For a little while, I was afraid we might have too many third-party rounds.

Also, I'm a little surprised (but honored) you went through with my idea to add "traveling stages" and "boss stages". I feel like those rounds would offer more freedom since they aren't tied to a specific franchise.

Last edited:

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I haven't submitted any contest ideas in a few weeks or so, but I now finally feel inspiration again. I was gonna submit this one for the Wario round but I might as well do it now while the iron's hot.

Golden Pyramid
(Wario Land 4)

Fans of Wario have been craving for a Wario Land stage for ages now, and here's my hat in the ring. The Golden Pyramid is the main hub for Wario Land 4, with four sections that players can access at any point that lead to different worlds and paintings. An example for each is the Sapphire Passage, which has Arabian Night, a stage with magic carpets that rise when Wario is on them and fall when he jumps off them. The Topaz Passage has Toy Block Tower, a place made of building blocks and other childlike environments. The Ruby Passage contains The Curious Factory, full of gears and gizmos. The Emerald Passage has Palm Tree Paradise, which is a lush tropical landscape with many palm trees.

This is a large stage, fit mostly for 8-player smashes, while not being unrealistically huge like Palutena's Temple or The Great Cave Offensive, being more comparable to Temple. Surrounding the arena are four large walls, the top of which have step-like platform arrangements. The bottom two are large vertical walls that encase the inner passages. There's a large opening in between these platforms, so try to angle your launched opponents into those gaps towards the blast zone. Inside, the stage is divided into five sections. The Sapphire section, at the bottom left, has three pits and three narrow platforms, two of which have flying carpets on them. If fighters land on these carpets, they rise up, and lower if the fighters leave them. The carpets will only rise up a set distance, and fighters don't have to worry about being crushed when they fall down, as they will pass through them. The Topaz section at the top left has platforms set up on building blocks or wires, randomized with every fight on the stage. Sometimes the platform can be on top of a large tower of blocks, while sometimes they might be very close to the ground. The Ruby section at the top right has rotating platforms on a track that move slowly and constantly, and one unmoving platform below them. The Emeral section at the bottom right has a large platform and a pit at the left, and palm trees that react to fighter's weight by dipping slightly. The middle, purple passage has a large solid platform and two smaller, pass-through platforms that shift up and down. Fighters looking for the fairest fight should stick in this area.

The small pyramid in the middle and the lights for the passages sometimes light up, indicating that a vortex will open up in that location and add some enemies that will observe and walk around in the background, depending on the location. Shoshokora, the black cat, will sometimes make her way around areas. After a bit of walking around, Shoshokora or the enemies will be sucked back into a vortex. This has no effect on the match but makes the background more lively.

MUSIC:
Theme of Wario Land 4 (Remix)
Hall of Hieroglyphics (Remix)
Palm Tree Paradise
Crescent Moon Village (Remix)
Toxic Landfill (Remix)
Toy Block Tower
Theme of Wario Land 1 (Remix)
Theme of Virtual Boy Wario Land (Remix)
Greenhorn Forest/Ruins (Remix)
Stonecarving City

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
I'm very happy that someone else wants a Wario Land 4 stage, and somewhat upset that your idea is so similar to mine, haha.
It was basically the same but each corner would randomly have one of the four stages per passage displayed, so like the Topaz corner might have Toy Block Tower, The Big Board, Doodle Woods, or Domino Row show up.
I wasn't sure if like the golden passage should make an appearance, or if any of the bosses should, but I like your idea to have the enemies show up.
Anyway, I'll try to think of something else and meet the deadline

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Sky_Pillar.png

Stage Name:
Sky Pillar

Origin:
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

Gimmicks and Hazards:
Sideways blast lines and ladders.

Description:
Here we have the tower that the mighty Rayquaza is encountered, the Sky Pillar. Surprisingly, there are no evident gimmicks and hazards here besides the ladders (Shown in grey), and that the usual stage blast lines are turned to be vertical instead of horizontal like in say, Battlefield or Lylat Cruise. Despite what they appear to be, the Sky Pillar's walls do not limit KO potential and block players except for the walls beyond the bottom-most platform, which is hard.

Unlockable:
Yes. Jump about 500m in total height.

Music:
Drought Remix
Heavy Rainfall Remix
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald Theme
Sootopolis City Theme
Victory Road (SSBB)
Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza Battle Theme Remix

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Sadly. I'm going to be leaving the stage contest. sorry. School back around and another project i'm working on kinda restricts me from being a judge.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Darnit, Golisio took my idea. Honestly, I didn't have much intrest in this round so I probably won't have a stage for it. Sorry.

D

Deleted member

Sooooooooooo, who else looks at the "Crossover Stages" option on the poll with a bit of a chuckle now that Stage Morphing is a thing?

D

Deleted member

So, I meant to talk about this earlier. A couple of days earlier in fact ^^;

But good things come to those who wait. And now I have a clear picture of the guidelines I want to set for the round that are on the voting poll right now thanks to the new direct info.

Final Fantasy, Castlevania, and Shantae:

When I asked if people were interested in these series as rounds, few gave any answers. And those who did mostly said no. Couple that with the lack of votes, and I have decided to remove these rounds from the contest.

Sorry if you were one of the few who may have been looking forward to them but I think it's official at this point that they would just be too stagnant. All is not lost though!

Kevandre submitted a Final Fantasy Stage for the Gameboy Advance Round. Which BTW how has THAT round proved to be so stagnant so far? The round ends in two days and only 3 stages??????

Ummmmm...................

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga?
The Legend of Zelda the Minish Cap?
Metroid Fusion?
Metroid Zero Mission?
GBA ports of the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy?
The Sonic Advance Trilogy?
The Mega Man Zero Series?
Fire Emblem the Sacred Stones?

You guys disappoint me :crying:

Anyway, moving on from my (hopefully not too poor) attempt at a joke. Castlevania may have been cut from the contest. But, well, I think you can figure out why that's not a problem ;)

As for Shantae, the round dedicated to her may have been cut. But there are a few rounds open to multiple series where some of her games apply to if anyone wishes to utilize them.

More on that later. For now, the rounds currently on the poll.

Smaller Mario Game Stages:

This will be one of a few categories where not much has changed. This is more of a refresher course. We had individual Rounds for Mario Platformers, Mario Kart, Mario RPG's, and Mario Party. This round, with a few exceptions, covers everything else from the Mario series. Was considering making the Sports games their own round at one point but honestly I don't think they have the stage potential to stand on their own like the previous 4 Mario Rounds (not to discredit the impressive stage potential of Mario Sports Mix).

Besides the Mario Rounds we've already had, here's what is NOT allowed.

Yoshi Games
Wario Games
Donkey Kong Games

All because they're represented as their own series in Smash.

Any weird, one-off, things like web-browser games or Mario's Fundamentals that you kind of just know at first glance wouldn't exactly.......fit? Yeah that's the word I'll use. Feel free to ask if you're not sure if something would qualify.

Educational Games and Hotel Mario because Nintendo was never involved in the former apart from giving the rights, and the latter because it was on the CDi. Bleh.

Other than that. Go nuts.

Yoshi and Wario Stages:

Like I said, both of these are treated as their own series in Smash. So we're having them take up their own round. But at the same time because both of them run the risk of being too stagnant on their own.

Kid Icarus and F-Zero Stages:

Same general idea. Too high a risk of stagnancy on their own. So we're throwing them together.

Pokemon Stages 2:

It's been known for a while now that I decided to go the route of repeat rounds for a few series. This is one of them. The rules will be the same as the first go this round had. Games Only. No Anime, no Manga, no Trading Card Game, and no Pokemon Go. Yes I know that last one is a game but it doesn't use any fictional locations. It just points a camera at real life.

Sonic the Hedgehog Stages 2:

I feel like I could almost copy/paste what I said about Pokemon 2 and it would get the entire message across. 2nd go for a previous round and games of the main series only. No Cartoons, No Comics, and No Sonic Boom.

Banjo-Kazooie Stages:

It's quite interesting in a way. This was one of a few 3rd party rounds that I came up when I decided to extend the contest. Yet despite lack of interest from the contestants in a lot of those rounds, such as Castlevania, Shantae, and Rayman (that last one never made it to the polls. But I'm entirely convinced now that not enough people would be interested) this one had enough people wanting it to where I'm not worried that it will be too stagnant. So it gets to stick around.

Nintendo Switch Stages:

Can't remember right now exactly who, but someone suggested to me that I do rounds based on games on specific Nintendo Systems. Can't do them all, but I did need something to take the place of rounds that got axed from the contest like Final Fantasy. Was pondering for a while on which one system to use and hit a few roadblocks when trying to justify including a home console without it's handheld partner of it's time. And Vice Versa. But the Switch covers both at once, and the idea of allowing stages from games on the system that Smash Ultimate is going to be on just sounded appealing. And man oh man is there certainly a lot to work with. Even with licensed games being banned. This is also one of the rounds I mentioned earlier where at least part of the Shantae series is eligible. Half-Genie Hero anyone?

Crossover Stages:

If you're excited for this round then you can thank Kevandre for pushing for it as much as he did. Now, we do know that Stage Morphing has become a thing. But that is not what defines a Crossover Stage for this round. With stage morphing, you pick two separate stages out of the list two transport between. What this round focuses on is what Playstation All Stars did by having elements from two separate series come together in one stage.

However! Say the idea you have for a crossover stage starts in an area from one series and then transitions in an area from another. If that's really the route you wish to go then I won't stop you. But I will warn you that going that route will hurt your originality scores, at least the ones coming from me.

With Stage Morphing having been confirmed. I have become very uninterested in the idea of a Crossover stage that just cycles between different series. If you really want to wow me here trying something like, say, that one Playstation All Stars stage where the Hydra from God of War invades an arena from a different series.

Traveling Stages:

This round focuses not on a specific series, but on a specific stage gimmick. As long as your stage travels to different locales and meets the criteria of "has to have originated from a video game" and "has to have been on a Nintendo System" then you can pick a stage from any game you want.

To give an idea of what a traveling stage is (just to be safe):

3d Land is a stage that scrolls from left to right. But Scrolling is still traveling so that kind of thing is allowed.
Skyloft is another example of a stage that would be allowed. A platform that picks you up and drops you off at different parts of the area.
Paper Mario kind of warps between it's different areas, but it's still a stage that goes to different locations within what's just one stage on the stage select. That kind of this is allowed too.
And for a somewhat different kind of traveling. Let's say you want to do something like make a Shantae stage where Risky Boot's ship sails as you fight on it but it drops you off at one of the Islands from Shantae and the Pirate's Curse for a while before the ship picks you up and takes you to a different island. That also counts as traveling. So it's eligible (I think I've hammered home the point from earlier about there still being rounds that Shantae and some other games like that can have a stage submitted to. So I'll take a break from promoting the Half-Genie Hero for now).

However something like New Donk City Hall does not count as a traveling stage. That stage just has a platform carry you up and down the city hall building. Not good enough. You'll have to go with something like the examples listed earlier for this round.

Boss Stages:

This one will be a joyride on Playability grades. Stage Bosses are a tricky and controversial hazard that people tend to prefer not being there for the most part. But for this round, we're embracing the concept. Want to make a stage that has something like the Yellow Devil or Metal Face? Go ahead! Just try not to make them as annoying to deal as those two.

Now to be sure what counts as a Boss Stage and what doesn't, we have 3 categories.

Stages like Wily Castle and Find Mii have a single enemy that takes at least a decent amount of dedication to defeat and typically gives you a reward upon your victory. These count as boss stages.

Dracula's Castle is sort of a middle ground. It does have enemies that seem much more minor like Medusa (I would assume) or are not able to be fought against and just function as hazards (Like Death. Or at least that how it seems right now). But it does also have some dedicated threats that very much count as boss hazards. Most notably Dracula. Not every enemy seems like it what I would call a stage boss. But at least one of them is. So this counts as a Boss Stage.

Figure-Eight Circuit however is not a boss stage. Minor enemies like the Shy Guys who just show up and might hurt players in the right circumstance are not the kind of hazard that could be considered a boss. For example, Pyrosphere from Smash Wii U is only a boss stage because of Ridley. If it was just the other enemies like the Joulion's, it wouldn't count as a boss stage.

Hopefully that sheds enough light on how these rounds will function. As always, feel free to ask questions if you're unsure about anything.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm hoping that people will come flooding back to this contest soon- I really truly love it. The above round options are all excellent choices as well.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm hoping that people will come flooding back to this contest soon- I really truly love it. The above round options are all excellent choices as well.
Yeah. Sorry I couldn't come up with a good GBA stage. I was going to do Sky Pillar, but Golisio did it and I didn't have a backup.

But these new rounds... They look great. And ironically, one stage I have an idea for could fit in 3-4 of those rounds (But I'm probably submitting it for the Boss round).

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yeah. Sorry I couldn't come up with a good GBA stage. I was going to do Sky Pillar, but Golisio did it and I didn't have a backup.

But these new rounds... They look great. And ironically, one stage I have an idea for could fit in 3-4 of those rounds (But I'm probably submitting it for the Boss round).
Dude, same. I have a stage that could fit in traveling, boss and one of the series specific rounds. I'll keep it in that last one though lol

D

Deleted member

Alright guys, Round 26 is now closed. See you on Sunday with the grades for it.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 26 grades!

psb123's grades:

Sprohm by Kevandre Kevandre

Final Fantasy is a big series with lots of beloved main series entries. Which makes me pleased to admit that a lot of FF fans seem willing to branch out into spin-offs. Games like Crystal Chronicles, and of course, Tactics aren't the pinnacle of popularity in the series. But you'd be surprised how much of a fanbase Tactics Advance has gotten itself. Enough for a 4? Not quite. But I've seen enough people, FF fans and non-fans alike, call this one of their favorite GBA games to where I wouldn't score it lower than a 3.

I'm really not sure how it could be anything else. It's got a unique gimmick that is very faithful to the source material and offers an interesting strategy for a Smash battle that you can't get on any other stage. How fitting for that to be in a stage based on a Tactical RPG :p

And personally. I don't think the confirmation of Final Smash Meters hinders your idea for a few reasons. First of all FS Meters are an option. You can turn them off. Secondly the Final Smashes the meters grant you are weaker than those from a Smash Ball. Since this stage was submitted before that feature was confirmed, it's pretty obvious that the final smashes the judge grants you are of Smash Ball level strength.

The main thing here is the strategy of being sent to jail to avoid harm. Perhaps 5 seconds would be better than 8. Not only is using that strategy in a 1-on-1 fight bordering on camping, but say you either accidentally do something that sends you to jail or are put in a position where you feel you have no choice but to use the red card action. I don't have a problem with the mechanic being there. And the limit of how often you can receive a green or red card saved your stage a LOT of points. I just think the time actually spent in jail could be balanced a TAD bit better.

Overall Score: 21/25

Golden Pyramind by TKOWL TKOWL

Iconic Status: 4/5

Wario Land is one those series that, while having it's element of obscure to it, still has earned itself a decent fanbase. People asking for more Wario Land stuff to go with WarioWare in Smash are in higher numbers than one might think. And among them, Wario Land 4 is the game most talked about when discussing a Smash Stage.

This may very well be the best implementation of this idea I have ever seen. People have given the idea of the Pyramid transitioning into some levels from the game, or just the Golden Passage by itself, plenty of times before. But taking the hub and tweaking it to where it has sections based off of levels in the various passages like this? Pure, Brilliance.

Playability: 6/10

Ow, my fandom. It really hurts to give this stage a score that low here but the staircases in the top corner just make it too much more difficult than it needs to be to KO opponents. Through reading your description, it very much sounds like the parts of those staircases that are inside the pyramid are walls. Meaning you would just bounce off of them.

That's your stages only playability problem, but it is a big one. How big? That alone is what lowered your score to a 6. If you had made it so that you pass through the staircase when launched toward them from inside the pyramid, you would have gotten a 10.

Overall Score: 20/25

Sky Pillar by GolisoPower GolisoPower

Well the name would cause any Gen 3 fan to know what this place is given the popularity of the legendary pokemon you catch here. But Rayquaza isn't actually in the stage itself, which causes this place to suffer from looking like just a generic ruined tower. When the most recognizable part of a stage is the name, there is a problem.

Originality: 1/10

To be honest, if I didn't know that this was supposed to be a main smash stage that comes from a Nintendo game beforehand, someone could tell me it was made in brawls stage builder just with a new set of graphics and I would believe them.

The setting does nothing to make it stand out and the layout suffers in both originality and playability from the curse of looking like it was people who disregard good stage design in favor of making more troll-ish stages being the ones in the stage builder.

To explain that last point a little more, it's too hard to get to certain levels of the stage without the ladders and the description of the blast lines lead me to believe this is one of those stages that place too much requirement on vertical KO's

Overall Score: 7/25

Cosmic77's grades:

"Sprohm" by Kevandre:

I didn't know this game existed, so I did some research. Apparently, lots of other people don't know this game exists either.

I'll give you two points for choosing something based off FF, and that's probably the only advantage your stage has in this department.

While the gimmick does feel similar to WarioWare, you managed to execute it in a way that feels original. I believe the judge will cause players to be very strategic during their battles here.

Needless to say, the people who purposely go to jail so they can avoid getting KO'd can be very annoying for those who take the match seriously.

While the gimmick is unique, I feel like it can be easily exploited.

Overall Score: 13/25

"Golden Pyramid" by TKOWL:

This is probably one of the more recognizable Wario Land games. Unfortunately, Wario Land as a whole is pretty niche, so I'm not sure how many people would recognize it compared to other GBA games.

Still, it looks and feels like a Wario game.

l love how you incorporated each of the four worlds into your stage. Having played the game, this makes me very nostalgic. I think my favorite was Topaz and its toy theme. Sapphire is a close second.

I will point out that your stage feels very similar to The Great Cave Offensive though. You took all the areas from the game and smashed them into one large stage meant for 8-player battles, which is effectively what the latter stage did.

Since the stage was intended for larger battles, I can look past the massive size. My only concerns lie with the pits at the bottom and the ceiling.

Overall Score: 18/25

"Sky Pillar" by GolisoPower:

I've complained about this multiple times, but people keep making the same mistake.

If you're going to make a Pokemon stage, make sure you add something that signifies that.

The location you chose is iconic and memorable, but without Rayquaza or anything else to signify that this is a Pokemon game, this would just look like a generic tower. Background elements can help tremendously.

Originality: 4/10

The layout is unique, but that's about all that makes your stage stand out. This isn't very memorable, and if I'm being honest, the only thing that would cause me to choose this stage is the music selection.

The layout itself is okay, but the blast zones have me worried. It's not particularly hard to push someone off a stage, so early KOs could be an issue here.

TheMarioAddict's Grades:

Before I start: I’ve been pretty generous with my grading the past few rounds. In an effort to more fairly judge and critique stages, I’m going to test out a new method for determining scores for this round (in short, I’m basically testing a self-made stage-scoring rubric). If my grades seem way different from normal, this is why.

"Sprohm" by Kevandre:

Firstly, I must say: I empathize with your stage choice. I too know how it feels to submit a stage based on a relatively unpopular handheld game from a popular series (CoughPhantomHourglassCough). Sadly, my empathy means very little, as not only am I unfamiliar with the game, but based on my research, it wasn’t exactly the best selling game either, and it doesn’t really scream “Final Fantasy” to me.

I want to call out Sakurai for stealing your Chargeable Final Smashes idea. I wish you luck in your impending legal battle, and know that the judge (heh) will side with you.

In all seriousness, this is a pretty clever implementation of mechanics. I must admit though, it feels a bit like a more extreme Warioware Inc in that regard (Powerups -> Final Smashes, No Reward -> Jail Time). The platform layout is fairly unique, so that helps too. All in all, this is a pretty creative stage. Nicely done!

Yeah… it looks like you knew this was coming. The stage layout is fine, though if it’s really every platform that’s passable, then I have to take a point off - no solid ground means lots of accidental falls to your death. You’ve done a fair bit to mitigate the judge’s influence on the match, but I still think he could be easily abused, and on top of that interferes with the flow of the match way too much. I could see things working alright with hazards off, so that gives you a couple points, but this isn’t a stage I’d play very much.

Overall Score: 11/25

"Golden Pyramid" by TKOWL:

I know very little of the Wario Land series, but this seems like a decent stage for it. Like Kevandre’s stage, I can’t find evidence of this being a terribly popular stage, but this stage does feel like it comes from a Wario game, given his rampant greed. Those together give you a slighter higher iconic score.

Big stages aren’t anything new to smash, but you’ve done things pretty differently from other big stages, so I’m willing to let that slide. What really makes this stage is the setting - Not only does it seem to draw from the entirety of Wario Land 4 (I assume - again, I haven’t played it), but the setting itself is pretty unique for smash (I mean, I could argue the gold is similar to Golden Plains, but honestly who the flip even remembers Golden Plains is a stage in Smash?). Top that off with fitting (if mildly unoriginal) mechanics, and this is a pretty nice stage all around.

Honestly, the only points I’m taking off are related to the size of the stage - in my opinion, even with 8 players, big stages are inherently less playable than small ones. That said, compared to the official big stages in smash, this is my favorite big stage by a mile. There’s nothing that interferes with fighters (New Pork City), and it’s not a total mess to navigate (Great Cave Offensive). There’s a few minor things that seem like they could be abused by players, but overall, it’s pretty well made.

Overall Score: 17/25

"Sky Pillar" by GolisoPower:

3rd Generation Pokemon is very memorable, and this is a pretty memorable area from those games, so well done there! But if that’s the case, why not a 5 for my score? Well unfortunately, I don’t think the area seems very “Pokemon” to a non-fan, and you didn’t specify any other elements being in the stage that would have solved that (like, even saying that you can see Rayquaza flying in the background would’ve sufficed). As it stands, I feel that’s worth cutting a couple points.

Originality: 6/10

It’s an interesting layout, for sure, but there’s not a whole lot of spirit to this stage. Nothing really makes it stand out, nothing really feels like it belongs with Pokemon, and it’s… it just feels like it’s lacking in soul. It took me a while to figure out what you meant by “vertical blast lines” (You just meant that the blast zones on the left/right are longer than the ones on the top/bottom, right? Like a tall rectangle, rather than a wide one), but I don’t know if that really counts as a unique gimmick. It’s just… meh.

Playability: 6/10

The layout is fine, I suppose. There’s no spikes or death traps or anything like that, but I feel like the top of the stage could very easily be camped. Worse still, I think the stage as a whole could easily be circle camped by running to the top, waiting for your opponent to follow, and then jumping back down to the floor. The closer side blast zones (again, I assume that’s what you meant before) also pose a pretty hefty problem, since it seems pretty easy to knock people sideways in Smash.

Overall Score: 15/25

Total Scores:

Kevandre: 45 points

TKOWL: 55 points

GolisoPower: 36 points

The Winner is.............
Golden Pyramid by TKOWL

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Congrats to TKOWL!

As for the next round, it depends on how the coin flips. I have a Traveling Stage I've had in the back of my head for awhile, but I've never played a Banjo-Kazooie game.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Nice job, TKOWL TKOWL for your stage!

Also, to the judges, I will admit, now that I look at my stage, it’s a little wonky, and I didn’t want to include Rayquaza because one, the Kalos Pokémon League already has it, and two, I just didn’t know how to implement him in a way that’s different from KPL!Rayquaza then. Now that I think about it, maybe I should’ve made a Rayquaza that use Air Lock to reduce knockback, but I had my chance, I guess.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I cannot believe you guys haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. It's easily my favorite FF game I've ever played. Check if out when you get the chance, they released it on Wii U eshop a while back (But VBA lol)

Grats to TKOWL TKOWL ! I fully expected this outcome lol. Hopefully we'll get more people entering next round too.

D

Deleted member

I cannot believe you guys haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. It's easily my favorite FF game I've ever played. Check if out when you get the chance, they released it on Wii U eshop a while back (But VBA lol)

Grats to TKOWL TKOWL ! I fully expected this outcome lol. Hopefully we'll get more people entering next round too.
For what it's worth. Tactics Advance has been on Wii U eshop wishlist for a while now.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 27!

Now, technically both Banjo-Kazooie stages and Traveling stages are tied for first at 6 votes each. Normally in such situations I cast the tie breaker vote in a way and just pick one of the two rounds that tied to be the next round. But in this case, both rounds offer so much that I can't decide.

So I asked fellow judge Cosmic77 Cosmic77 to pick which of the two would be Round 27 instead. And he chose...................

Traveling Stages

As always, no stages from a series that didn't originate from a video game or hasn't been on a Nintendo System. Other than that you can pick any game you want for this round. It's focus is after all on a specific stage gimmick rather than a specific series.

That gimmick is of course, stages that travel to different areas within that one stage. The scrolling of places like Mushroomy Kingdom, the platform that picks you up and flies you to different places like Delfino Plaza, or the warp-style transitions to new areas like Paper Mario.

It's all good to go. That's not to say you can't try your hand at stages that travel in a different way. Just bear in mind that something like New Donk City Hall doesn't count. That stage just carries you up and down the building. We're looking for dedicated traveling stages here.

If a stage you submit ends up not meeting the criteria I will let you know. And allow you to try again with a different idea. Or just tweaking your old idea to fit the requirements. Whichever you feel like doing.

And with that, on August 13th 2018, Round 27 has begun. You have until Friday, August 17th to submit entries.

Good Luck!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The Hoenn Sea
(Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)

I originally made this stage to be my submission for last round (GBA Games) but since I used the FFTA stage instead, I've chosen to repurpose that stage as an entry for the Travelling Round, which is perfect.

In the OG Stage Contest, someone submitted a similar idea based in Kanto, but I've chosen to put my own spin on this concept in Hoenn, where it is a lot more known for its water. And yes, I'm aware I'll get 7.8/10 as a score for having too much water.

The main travel mechanic takes place aboard Mr. Briney's boat, which you use to get transport to several locations across the sea in Ruby/Sapphire. We are accompanied by Mr. Briney's favorite Pokemon, Peeko the Wingull, who flies carefree above the boat at the same pace. The players do not interact with Peeko.

While we're at sea like this, travelling between locations, there aren't any hazards, unless you count the water itself. If you fall in the water in front of the boat, you'll get sent below to your death so jump out as quickly as possible!

Mr. Briney will take us to several locations. The first of which (And where the stage actually begins in the first place) is Dewford Town.

The stage begins docked in Dewford Town, where you can stand atop the house on the beach, as well as the dock itself in addition to the regular boat platforms that exist. You might see some special visitors coming and going from the house on the shore like Brawly, the Dewford gym leader, or Steven Stone, the mysterious rock-obsessed man.

After about twenty seconds docked at Dewford, we'll set sail for Slateport!

Mr. Briney pulls the boat in sideways (He is a master boatman) into a small alcove of water between two beaches. On both beaches there is a stationary platform, one is an umbrella, and one is an awning where local townsfolk hawk their wares. You'll sometimes see people like Stern, or even some Team Magma or Aqua people coming by! They are treated as background characters so you can't interact with them. Following Slateport, Mr. Briney is going to take us to the Pokemon League... Ever Grande City!

Ever Grande City is a place that is seated above a BIG waterfall, and in RSE/ORAS you have to use the waterfall HM to climb it. Here though, there are rocky bits that are cascading down the waterfall itself that can be used as temporary platforms. The boat is stationary so no need to worry if you hit the water as the rocks fall slowly down on either side of the boat.

Once we're done in Ever Grande City, the boat will turn around and we'll make our journey backwards towards Dewford! Everything acts the same except that the boat is facing the other direction.

Unlockable?: Yes, apparently Gardevoir might be playable in Smash Ultimate if leaks are to be believed, so lets call this her home stage that is unlocked when you unlock her.

Music:
The main theme of this stage is one that changes depending on the location:

Crossing the Sea/Mr. Briney's Boat (ORAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yW6j0zV7dY
Dewford Town (ORAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNx9Jvap16w
Slateport City (ORAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7DsYkZz7Jk
Evergrande City (ORAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpnr5pX_aaY

Other tracks found are:
Surfing (ORAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRMYsFnt2PM
Surfing (FRLG): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJ9NMbDN88
Surfing (DPPt): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8uattn8pis
Poké Ride-Water (Sun&Moon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0gIq2aNC0o

D

Deleted member

The Hoenn Sea
(Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)

I originally made this stage to be my submission for last round (GBA Games) but since I used the FFTA stage instead, I've chosen to repurpose that stage as an entry for the Travelling Round, which is perfect.

In the OG Stage Contest, someone submitted a similar idea based in Kanto, but I've chosen to put my own spin on this concept in Hoenn, where it is a lot more known for its water. And yes, I'm aware I'll get 7.8/10 as a score for having too much water.

The main travel mechanic takes place aboard Mr. Briney's boat, which you use to get transport to several locations across the sea in Ruby/Sapphire. We are accompanied by Mr. Briney's favorite Pokemon, Peeko the Wingull, who flies carefree above the boat at the same pace. The players do not interact with Peeko.

While we're at sea like this, travelling between locations, there aren't any hazards, unless you count the water itself. If you fall in the water in front of the boat, you'll get sent below to your death so jump out as quickly as possible!

Mr. Briney will take us to several locations. The first of which (And where the stage actually begins in the first place) is Dewford Town.

The stage begins docked in Dewford Town, where you can stand atop the house on the beach, as well as the dock itself in addition to the regular boat platforms that exist. You might see some special visitors coming and going from the house on the shore like Brawly, the Dewford gym leader, or Steven Stone, the mysterious rock-obsessed man.

After about twenty seconds docked at Dewford, we'll set sail for Slateport!

Mr. Briney pulls the boat in sideways (He is a master boatman) into a small alcove of water between two beaches. On both beaches there is a stationary platform, one is an umbrella, and one is an awning where local townsfolk hawk their wares. You'll sometimes see people like Stern, or even some Team Magma or Aqua people coming by! They are treated as background characters so you can't interact with them. Following Slateport, Mr. Briney is going to take us to the Pokemon League... Ever Grande City!

Ever Grande City is a place that is seated above a BIG waterfall, and in RSE/ORAS you have to use the waterfall HM to climb it. Here though, there are rocky bits that are cascading down the waterfall itself that can be used as temporary platforms. The boat is stationary so no need to worry if you hit the water as the rocks fall slowly down on either side of the boat.

Once we're done in Ever Grande City, the boat will turn around and we'll make our journey backwards towards Dewford! Everything acts the same except that the boat is facing the other direction.

Unlockable?: Yes, apparently Gardevoir might be playable in Smash Ultimate if leaks are to be believed, so lets call this her home stage that is unlocked when you unlock her.

Music:
The main theme of this stage is one that changes depending on the location:

Crossing the Sea/Mr. Briney's Boat (ORAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yW6j0zV7dY
Dewford Town (ORAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNx9Jvap16w
Slateport City (ORAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7DsYkZz7Jk
Evergrande City (ORAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpnr5pX_aaY

Other tracks found are:
Surfing (ORAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRMYsFnt2PM
Surfing (FRLG): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJ9NMbDN88
Surfing (DPPt): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8uattn8pis
Poké Ride-Water (Sun&Moon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0gIq2aNC0o
And this officially marks the 3rd round in a row where Pokémon got a stage. And Pokémon Stages 2 hasn’t even happened yet!

Top Bottom