• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Lake_Tess_Base.png

Lake_Tess_Camp.png

Lake_Tess_Cave.png

Stage Name:
Lake Tess

Origin:
Earthbound

Description:
Lads and lasses, I present to ye Loch Tess, one of th’ places ye go tae as Jeff Andonuts before he encounters Ness and Paula in Threed! As seen above, th’ stage starts off on the Loch Tess Monster, or Tessie if ye will. After 15 seconds o’ swimmin’, th’ monster will stop by th’ camp just south of th’ Snow Wood Boardin’ School in Winters. The tents of tha' camp're unique in the sense that if ye crouch while on top of 'em, they'll be treated like they're a sort of spring platform. It wilnae get ye much high, though, and they're the only platforms accessible. After 20 seconds o' battle, Tessie will swim off 'til she arrives at the cave another 15 seconds later. The cave has a mere 2 walk-off platforms, sure, but unlike th' camp, this one'll only last about 10 seconds. It'll also take a full 30 seconds until Tessie arrives back at th' camp again. I'm bettin' me haggis (or me bottle o' scrumpy) that this stage'll be at least decent, lads and lasses, and I cannae wait tae see the fruits of me labour!

Unlockable:
No.

Music:
Winters (Earthbound)
Snow Wood Boarding School (Earthbound)
Eight Melodies (Earthbound Beginnings)
Smiles and Tears
Theme of Love

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Lads and lasses, I present to ye Loch Tess, one of th’ places ye go tae as Jeff Andonuts before he encounters Ness and Paula in Threed! As seen above, th’ stage starts off on the Loch Tess Monster, or Tessie if ye will. After 15 seconds o’ swimmin’, th’ monster will stop by th’ camp just south of th’ Snow Wood Boardin’ School in Winters.

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Late here but I wanna say thank you for the last contest win! But onto the main topic, here's something I've been brewing for a long time, was gonna post it on the second Pokemon round but I'll do it now.

Ultra Space
Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon

Ultra Space was a new concept added into the seventh generation of Pokemon games, which were dimensions and universes outside our own. Creatures known as Ultra Beasts emerge from them, strange Pokemon from alternate places. The portals to Ultra Space appear when Solgaleo or Lunala open them, and these portals are used in different ways depending on the game. In vanilla Sun and Moon, the player only journeys to one area of Ultra Space to save Lillie's mother, Lusamine, from the brain parasite Nihilego, in the Ultra Deep Sea. However, the Ultra Wormholes take a much bigger role in Ultra Sun and Moon, with the light-stealing being Necrozma causing chaos and abducting Solgaleo/Lunala, causing the player to chase after them into Ultra Megaopolis. Once the player saves the legendary, however, they can take part on the Ultra Warp Ride, a fantastic feature that grants access to a myriad of worlds light-years away. There are holes that can lead to rare Pokemon and legendary Pokemon, but the biggest feature is finding the homes of the various Ultra Beasts, all of them extravagant and bizarre.

The stage begins on the Altar of the Sunne, a flat area with a single, raised section of land in the middle, and two pits at the side. Things begin peacefully, until after 10-15 seconds, either Solgaleo, Lunala, or Necrozma taking over their bodies, opens up a wormhole in the middle. This wormhole begins flashing, and soon expands, flashing the screen in a teleportation effect. After a few seconds of transition, players are dumped onto one of five new areas, chosen at random. These areas stay on for about 50 seconds, and then a wormhole appears to transition players to a new random area. The transitions are on a shuffle loop, meaning that they will not repeat themselves until the transition playlist is done.

This is the Ultra Deep Sea, home of Nihilego. It is an eerie location with dim lights and rocks that look like jellyfish larvae. It is a small, flat battlefield with two pits at the side. It seems like a peaceful transition, but one of the many Nihilego moving in the background may move towards the stage, and spew a Venom Drench. This spreads purple acid on the ground, which doesn't cause flinching, but slightly slows down fighters on it and inflicts small chip damage. Only a max of two venom piles may be on the ground at once.

This is the Ultra Jungle, home of Buzzwole. This is a prehistoric-looking jungle with roaring volcanoes and large, muscular trees in the background. The stage takes place on one of these trees, arranged almost like the Majora's Mask trophy tussle event from Melee. There are two raised up platforms at the top and an arena in the middle surrounded by walls, creating a sort of fight pit. The fall from the top platforms is quite steep, meaning that fighters with poor recoveries should stay in the fight pit and duke it out. Buzzwole will appear, flexing himself powerfully and creating a windbox within the fight pit that pushes fighters towards the walls for a second. On this phase of the stage, players need to decide their battles: either fight on the precarious branches or fight within the confines of the fight pit, where they cannot fall off but battles can become insane.

This is the Ultra Plant, home of Xurkitree. This is a walk-off stage with two large platforms and a gap in the middle. Lightning flashes in the background, but sometimes Xurkitree will root itself and one of the big lights on either side will light up, meaning that the lighting is going to strike the stage! If a player doesn't want to get hit by a zap, they should move onto the side of the stage where the light isn't flashing. If all else fails, however, they can just hope that they aren't in the lightning's path. Battles here can become a fierce king of the hill scenario, where the fear of being struck from a powerful bolt of lightning can cause players to panic, only to be met by a nasty charged smash attack by someone already on the other side!

This is the Ultra Forest, home of Kartana. It is a peaceful place with many petals falling and light coming in from the brushes. This is a flat stage with a pit on both sides, and a unique rock platform in the middle, with one low and high ledge. Fighters might try to camp this spot, but beware! The tiny warrior Kartana may appear in the foreground, and cut at the X mark, destroying the platform. Once the platform is gone, Kartana begins his rampage. A slicing cut mark may appear horizontally across the screen, indicating that Kartana will be rushing through the stage with a devastating slice that deals large knockback. However, players can turn the tables and air dodge with precise timing to pick up Kartana as he dives forward, and are then able to throw him forward like an item to cause chaos! This creates a new dynamic like with the Electrode Pokeball: do you stand in the line of fire to pick up this valuable item, knowing that mistiming your air dodge could result in a KO? Once the stage transitions out, Kartana will disappear, even if it is in a player's hands or Villager's pocket.

Lastly, here is the Ultra Ruins, home of Guzzlord. It is a destroyed city with buildings and debris everywhere, and is a walkoff. Sandwiched between the two raised walkoffs is a pit with another raised platform and a slanted pass-through platform attached to it. To the left is solid ground, but to the right is shallow water leaking onto the ground from a pipe. Guzzlord will be walking around in the wreckage, devouring all the garbage he can, and will sometimes walk towards the middle platform and rip off the slanted pass-through platform and eat it, then walk away, eliminating it from play. The layout of this transition is a mess, just like the ruins Guzzlord calls home.

In the warping transitions and the ultra spaces, Ultra Beasts like Poipole, Naganadel, Pheromosa and Celesteela might appear far in the background. The Ultra Recon Squad, on their own Solgaleo or Lunala, might be seen flying around too. The Poke Ball Pokemon version of Solgaleo or Lunala will not appear, depending on which one is being used to summon the Ultra Wormholes.

Music:

Ride Through the Ultra Wormhole (Remix)
Ultra Spaces Enviromental Pieces (shifts the music to each space's original themes when loaded)
Ultra Beast Battle/Encounter (Remix)
Solgaleo/Lunala Battle (Remix)
Necrozma Battle (Remix)
Guzma's Theme/Battle (Remix)
Aether Paradise Infiltration (Remix)
Battle! Ultra Recon Squad
Battle! Team Skull
Battle! Elite Four

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
"okay, two of the contestants have already made their stage, looks like my idea's safe-"
Late here but I wanna say thank you for the last contest win! But onto the main topic, here's something I've been brewing for a long time, was gonna post it on the second Pokemon round but I'll do it now.

Ultra Space

Ultra Space was a new concept added into the seventh generation of Pokemon games, which were dimensions and universes outside our own. Creatures known as Ultra Beasts emerge from them, strange Pokemon from alternate places. The portals to Ultra Space appear when Solgaleo or Lunala open them, and these portals are used in different ways depending on the game. In vanilla Sun and Moon, the player only journeys to one area of Ultra Space to save Lillie's mother, Lusamine, from the brain parasite Nihilego, in the Ultra Deep Sea. However, the Ultra Wormholes take a much bigger role in Ultra Sun and Moon, with the light-stealing being Necrozma causing chaos and abducting Solgaleo/Lunala, causing the player to chase after them into Ultra Megaopolis. Once the player saves the legendary, however, they can take part on the Ultra Warp Ride, a fantastic feature that grants access to a myriad of worlds light-years away. There are holes that can lead to rare Pokemon and legendary Pokemon, but the biggest feature is finding the homes of the various Ultra Beasts, all of them extravagant and bizarre.

The stage begins on the Altar of the Sunne, a flat area with a single, raised section of land in the middle, and two pits at the side. Things begin peacefully, until after 10-15 seconds, either Solgaleo, Lunala, or Necrozma taking over their bodies, opens up a wormhole in the middle. This wormhole begins flashing, and soon expands, flashing the screen in a teleportation effect. After a few seconds of transition, players are dumped onto one of five new areas, chosen at random. These areas stay on for about 50 seconds, and then a wormhole appears to transition players to a new random area. The transitions are on a shuffle loop, meaning that they will not repeat themselves until the transition playlist is done.

This is the Ultra Deep Sea, home of Nihilego. It is an eerie location with dim lights and rocks that look like jellyfish larvae. It is a small, flat battlefield with two pits at the side. It seems like a peaceful transition, but one of the many Nihilego moving in the background may move towards the stage, and spew a Venom Drench. This spreads purple acid on the ground, which doesn't cause flinching, but slightly slows down fighters on it and inflicts small chip damage. Only a max of two venom piles may be on the ground at once.

This is the Ultra Jungle, home of Buzzwole. This is a prehistoric-looking jungle with roaring volcanoes and large, muscular trees in the background. The stage takes place on one of these trees, arranged almost like the Majora's Mask trophy tussle event from Melee. There are two raised up platforms at the top and an arena in the middle surrounded by walls, creating a sort of fight pit. The fall from the top platforms is quite steep, meaning that fighters with poor recoveries should stay in the fight pit and duke it out. Buzzwole will appear, flexing himself powerfully and creating a windbox within the fight pit that pushes fighters towards the walls for a second. On this phase of the stage, players need to decide their battles: either fight on the precarious branches or fight within the confines of the fight pit, where they cannot fall off but battles can become insane.

This is the Ultra Plant, home of Xurkitree. This is a walk-off stage with two large platforms and a gap in the middle. Lightning flashes in the background, but sometimes Xurkitree will root itself and one of the big lights on either side will light up, meaning that the lighting is going to strike the stage! If a player doesn't want to get hit by a zap, they should move onto the side of the stage where the light isn't flashing. If all else fails, however, they can just hope that they aren't in the lightning's path. Battles here can become a fierce king of the hill scenario, where the fear of being struck from a powerful bolt of lightning can cause players to panic, only to be met by a nasty charged smash attack by someone already on the other side!

This is the Ultra Forest, home of Kartana. It is a peaceful place with many petals falling and light coming in from the brushes. This is a flat stage with a pit on both sides, and a unique rock platform in the middle, with one low and high ledge. Fighters might try to camp this spot, but beware! The tiny warrior Kartana may appear in the foreground, and cut at the X mark, destroying the platform. Once the platform is gone, Kartana begins his rampage. A slicing cut mark may appear horizontally across the screen, indicating that Kartana will be rushing through the stage with a devastating slice that deals large knockback. However, players can turn the tables and air dodge with precise timing to pick up Kartana as he dives forward, and are then able to throw him forward like an item to cause chaos! This creates a new dynamic like with the Electrode Pokeball: do you stand in the line of fire to pick up this valuable item, knowing that mistiming your air dodge could result in a KO? Once the stage transitions out, Kartana will disappear, even if it is in a player's hands or Villager's pocket.

Lastly, here is the Ultra Ruins, home of Guzzlord. It is a destroyed city with buildings and debris everywhere, and is a walkoff. Sandwiched between the two raised walkoffs is a pit with another raised platform and a slanted pass-through platform attached to it. To the left is solid ground, but to the right is shallow water leaking onto the ground from a pipe. Guzzlord will be walking around in the wreckage, devouring all the garbage he can, and will sometimes walk towards the middle platform and rip off the slanted pass-through platform and eat it, then walk away, eliminating it from play. The layout of this transition is a mess, just like the ruins Guzzlord calls home.

In the warping transitions and the ultra spaces, Ultra Beasts like Poipole, Naganadel, Pheromosa and Celesteela might appear far in the background. The Ultra Recon Squad, on their own Solgaleo or Lunala, might be seen flying around too. The Poke Ball Pokemon version of Solgaleo or Lunala will not appear, depending on which one is being used to summon the Ultra Wormholes.

Music:

Ultra Spaces Enviromental Pieces (shifts the music to each space's original themes when loaded)
Necrozma Battle (Remix)
Battle! Team Skull
Battle! Elite Four
Crud. My version is decently different and I'll still submit it, but it still hurts to see my idea taken. And the worst part is that it keeps happening. The Dream World, Exitebike, now this.

D

Deleted member

"okay, two of the contestants have already made their stage, looks like my idea's safe-"
Crud. My version is decently different and I'll still submit it, but it still hurts to see my idea taken. And the worst part is that it keeps happening. The Dream World, Exitebike, now this.
TKOWL TKOWL used Future Sight! It's Super Effective!!!!!

Jokes aside, I for one appreciate that you take the time the make your stages the best you can Peridot.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Ultra Space

Music:

Necrozma Battle (Remix)
Battle! Team Skull
Battle! Elite Four
I adore it. Anything with Buzzwole makes it A-OK with me. I'm still in awe with how much effort you put into the aesthetic of your stages too

D

Deleted member

Round 27 ends tomorrow, and once again only 3 stages. We do at least have the possibility of a 4th, but I'm still starting to get a little concerned about the lower activity lately. I'm still planning to keep the contest going until Smash Ultimate comes out. But I can't help but find this odd.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Round 27 ends tomorrow, and once again only 3 stages. We do at least have the possibility of a 4th, but I'm still starting to get a little concerned about the lower activity lately. I'm still planning to keep the contest going until Smash Ultimate comes out. But I can't help but find this odd.
Don't worry, mine's still on the way.

As for the stagnantness, I don't know what to do to help. Maybe mention when a new round starts in general speculation?

D

Deleted member

Don't worry, mine's still on the way.

As for the stagnantness, I don't know what to do to help. Maybe mention when a new round starts in general speculation?
I've been considering that. But part of me fears that doing something like that, or going into the support thread of a character who ties in with the round to let them know a round is going on, would border too much on spam territory.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth Mind if I ask for some input on this?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've been considering that. But part of me fears that doing something like that, or going into the support thread of a character who ties in with the round to let them know a round is going on, would border too much on spam territory.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth Mind if I ask for some input on this?
If the activity dies down, you can always extend the time a bit. This might help more in comparison. Let me speak to the mod team.

The advertising idea sets a bad precedent, so we believe it's better to not do so.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think the lack of activity is due to a mix between the startup of school and Ultimate's heavy focus on returning stages.

Advertising in other threads might help, but otherwise, there isn't much that can be done. Wait it out for a few weeks, and if the activity hasn't risen, then perhaps ending the competition early might be something to consider.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon
Ultra Warp Ride

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Moon were 3DS games released in 2017, and were enhanced versions of 2016's Sun and Moon. One of the new features was the Ultra Warp Ride, a mini game that let you visit alternate dimensions to catch Legendaries, easily find Shines, and the focus of the stage: Encounter Ultra Beasts on their home turf. The stage starts out on a basic Final Destination-esque platform in the minigame portion of the stage. You might even see Cosmog, Solgaleo, or Lunala fly by, but they have no effect on gameplay. Very quickly (About 10 seconds) into the match the stage swaps to 1 of 4 options. The first I'll talk about is the home of UB-02, the Ultra Jungle.
Contest27 2.png
The Ultra Jungle is about twice the size of battlefield and takes place on a tree that looks like it's flexing. Occasionally during a fight, Buzzwole appears. He's not here to attack players, his only intrest is to show his muscles by pushing the tree's "arms" around, altering the angle. You may also see Pheramosa running around in the background. 45 seconds into the fight the location changes again, this time swapping to UB-03's homeworld, the Ultra Plant!
contest27 4.png
The Ultra Plant is a large arena, similar to 3DS Gerudo Valley in proportions. There's a "bridge" of sort that connects the two areas, but it can't be destroyed or anything. Occasionally, a Xurkitree appears in the background and electrocutes the bridge, making it damage anyone who touches it. It deals large damage, but can't kill. A harmless Blacephalon may also appear. The next layout and the last one for the Ultra Beasts exclusively is the Ultra Crater, home to UB-04!
Contest27 3.png
Yes, this isn't a mistake, on the Ultra Crater you actually fight on the Arm of a Celesteele (You wouldn't think it, but the thing's absolutely massive.). It's quite large and you can see other Celesteela, and maybe even a Kartana in the background. This portion's gimmick is that the Celasteelas may start rising upwards, increasing gravity 1.2x. The stage's final portion isn't home to any Ultra Beast in particular, but it's still worth having. Welcome to Ultra Megatropolis!
Contest27 5.png
Ultra Metropolis is the home of the Ultra Recon Squad and presumably Necrozma. The stage is less likely to appear than the others and takes place on the top of Megalo Tower and has somewhat dim light already, but just you wait. Necrozma appears in it's regular form and starts charging an attack. If it receives 35% or more it'll go away, but if it fully charges for 10 seconds the stage goes pitch black, except for some that comes from Necrozma, who is now a being made of light, White Diamond Ultra Necrozma. It creepily floats around changing the lighting angle. You may see Poipole or Naganadel flying by in the background.

Notes: This was a rush job, hence why most of the layouts lack fighters. I'm a horrible procrastinator, and School isn't even back.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I should probably get back to USUM... I never even got to the parts that were truly different

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hey, psb, question here: due to recent announcements, will a Diablo round be possible in the future?

D

Deleted member

Hey, psb, question here: due to recent announcements, will a Diablo round be possible in the future?
Would it be possible? Yes.

Will it happen? On it's own, no. But there are rounds such as the Boss Stages Rounds (the current leader in the poll) where it would be eligible.

D

Deleted member

Alright Guys. Round 27 is now closed. See you on Sunday with the grades for it.

D

Deleted member

If I wasn't worried about being too un-family friendly on this site I would be using many mean words to describe my internets sudden decrease in speed right now -_-

But here are the Round 27 grades anyway. YOU WILL NOT DEFEAT ME PRECURSOR OF SKYNET!!!!!!!!!

*ahem

psb123's grades:

The Hoenn Sea by Kevandre Kevandre

Iconic Status: 5/5

If we were talking any generation other than 3 there's no way this would have gotten a 5. But unlike those so-called professionals, I'm not IGNorant enough to be unaware of how big a deal the sea is to Hoenn. And this covers a handful of locations that make perfect sense for a boat to drop you off at. Including Ever Grande City. A place I think many people very much wish you could have gotten to via boat.

Originality: 8/10

Considering the locations that every Pokemon Region has to make a stage out of, sailing on a boat across water isn't the most exciting idea you could have. At least this is from the generation where it actually makes sense to do that. Something I can't say for the SS Anne stage from the previous contest. I'm still salty that stage won it's round by the way -_-

Playability: 10/10

Apart from the rocks falling down the Ever Grande Waterfall there's not really anything here that could be considered a hazard. And even then those rocks are just extra platforms.

Overall Score: 23/25

Lake Tess by GolisoPower GolisoPower

Iconic Status: 4/5

I understood what you were trying to say about as well as I am versed in Earthbound knowledge, which is hardly anything at all. But after washing the racism from my mind with soap I figured out what I needed to know. In this case, that this is apparently an area where Ness and Paula meet Jeff. Based on that, I'm going to roll with a 4.

There's not a whole lot that happens off of Tessie in this stage. But I do like how you're fighting on top of a sea creature. Honestly the Mario series could make a stage like this with Dorrie or Plessie and I'd be all for it. So I like this stage in the same way. I also find it pretty cool how you can bounce off of tents by crouching on them.

Playability: 8/10

It does seem kind of limited in space to fight on. And that's really all there is to say.

Overall Score: 20/25

Ultra Space by TKOWL TKOWL

You know Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon don't get enough credit. Yeah most of the story stays the same until near the end. But sister games in Pokemon have been doing that since Gen 3. Possibly even Gen 2. When USUM does give new stuff though, this is what it gives. An expansion on the interesting, but under-utilized, idea of Ultra Space from Sun & Moon. Considering how people wanted that and are happy with what we got, I'd say this sticks out.

Originality: 9/10

I think each location of Ultra Space should only be around for 30 seconds at a time instead of 50. The reason I say that is because I'd want to see more of the cool locations of Ultra Space in shorter matches. And there are two things in particular that I like about the Ultra Beasts. One of them is that the attacks they do for the most part aren't super devastating, and the ones that are can be easily telegraphed. The second thing is that, assuming we do get a Gen 7 stage, I think using the Ultra Beasts as hazards is the best way to incorporate them.

Having Pokemon function as hazards in a stage isn't new and some people are more fed up with it than others. But in the source game Ultra Beasts have to be captured with Beast Balls and can't be caught with anything else. We have not seen a Beast Ball item yet, so I honestly think having the UB's as stage hazards works out better.

Playability: 7/10

Most of it's alright. But I don't like the layouts of the Ultra Plant and Ultra Jungle. The Ultra Plant doesn't have any ground to stand on in the middle, deciding to go for walk-offs instead. And the Ultra Jungle suffers from both too much difficulty in recovering and a pit that gives too many opportunities for caves of life.

Overall Score: 21/25

Ultra Warp Ride by PeridotGX PeridotGX

Same reasons as TKOWL's stage. Though I do like your name for the idea better.

Same pros as TKOWL's idea. And the same con as well. The time spent on one particular area is just a tad bit too long. I also can't say I'm a fan of Ultra Megaopolis being rarer than the others. There's no reason they shouldn't all be as possible to appear as each other so it's a little disappointing that you won't encounter Megaopolis as much. Especially since it's easily your most creative area here.

Playability: 10/10

Once again the Ultra Beasts don't do anything too hazardous. I was at first concerned about the Ultra Jungle and it's possible Caves of Life. But since Buzzwole can alter the angle it's not as big of a problem.

Overall Score: 24/25

Cosmic77's grades:

"The Hoenn Sea" by Kevandre:

A stage from a Pokemon game? Who in the world would recognize this?

But seriously, this should be easy to remember. I was considering deducting a point for not adding many Pokemon elements, but Peeko saved your bacon.

Originality: 7/10

Despite already having many stages that feature a boat (Pirate Ship, Wuhu Island, Paper Mario), you did come up with some pretty interesting layouts that differ greatly from the Pokemon and traveling stages we already have. Dewford Town is probably my favorite part of your stage.

My only complaint is that I would've liked to have seen more areas in your stage.

Playability: 9/10

Walk-offs aside, your stage really does have a lot of water. Maybe even too much water...

"Lake Tess" by GolisoPower:

Iconic Status: 3/5

This is an iconic moment in EarthBound, and I never really thought of it as being a stage. I give it 5/5.

...Or at least I'd like to. The theme is traveling stages, and while this stage works perfectly for EarthBound, it's not quite as iconic as your other options.

The winter theme is rarely explored in Smash, so I like this concept. Traveling on Tessie while you explore Winters is also a great idea for a traveling stage.

The areas you stop at aren't very memorable, but I think the implementation of Tessie makes up for it.

The water and Tessie's long neck are my only issues. Aside from that, everything looks peachy.

"Ultra Space" by TKOWL:

You've filled your stage with plenty of popular Pokemon from the latest set of Pokemon games. A wonderful Sun/Moon stage that's guaranteed to be recognized by fans.

Originality: 10/10

I'm captivated by not only the amount of effort you put into your stage, but also the drawings you used to illustrate your ideas.

The layouts are very unique and feature backgrounds that are quite different from what we normally see in Smash. The Ultra Beasts themselves are also extremely original and tie in with the stage in a way that doesn't feel forced. Fantastic job all around.

Playability: 4/10

Every rose has its thorn, and this one is sharp, sharp, sharp. The implementation of the Ultra Beasts was unique, but I am absolutely terrified of each one. Water down those hazards.

Overall Score: 19/25

"Ultra Warp Ride" by PeridotGX:

Another Sun and Moon stage, eh? I doubt I need to explain my reasoning behind your score.

Bit of a hit-and-miss with me. Some of the layouts didn't impress me much, while others (particularly Celesteela) were extremely creative and original.

The Necrozma gimmick was a nice addition, though. Really like that part of your stage.

I know I just said your Necrozma gimmick was unique, but making the entire stage pitch black can be very problematic, especially with characters with poor recoveries.

The layout of the tree platform is also a bit of an issue, but I didn't think it was as big of a deal as the latter.

TheMarioAddict's grades:

"The Hoenn Sea" by Kevandre:

A perfect score in iconicness from me! Memorable games, a lot of pokemon references both big and small, and based on the most notable part of all of the game - the huge amount of water. If I could give you 7.8/5, you know I would, but sadly there are limits. Still, great choice!

You fool! Have you forgotten that I, too, was a part of the OG stage contest, and thus would see the glaring similarities between your stage and ViolenceMan’s?? DISQUALIFIED, STAGE-MAKING LICENSE REVOKED, GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!

...I kid, of course (and don’t worry, I won’t factor in the similarities to a contest that has long since ended). In seriousness, this is a perfect way to represent the Hoenn games. The only real problems I have are with the uniqueness of the setting (or rather, the lack thereof). Yes, it is super appropriate for representing the games (more so than possibly any other stage), but at the same time, we’ve seen stages based ocean and island areas before (Delphino and Pirate Ship). Still, it is new for Pokemon, so I’ll cut you some slack for that. In any event, this is a really awesome stage!

Only point I’m taking off here is for the combination of water and walk-offs. The water itself isn’t too bad, but the spike off the front of the ship sounds just as bad here as it is on Pirate Ship. And walk-offs are… walk-offs. I just don’t like ‘em. :/ The rest seems perfectly fine.

"Lake Tess" by GolisoPower:

Iconic Status: 4/5

Ah’m only takin’ off a point because ah honestly thought tha’ was Dorrie (Mario 64) at first, and ah probably would nae be th’ only person tae make tha’ mistake. Other than tha’, ’s a good choice for an Earthbound stage (not the one ah’d’ve gone with, but still good).

T’is a pretty original stage, most things considered. Icy an’ snowy stages are nae explored much outside of Ice Climber, an’ even then this one feels pretty different from them (well… maybe a wee bit like phase 2 of Summit). Ye don’ really go crazy on th’ stage gimmicks, which is nae bad by any means, but the semi-spring platforms jus’ feel a wee bit tacked-on tae me. Still, very different from other Earthbound stages, so ah’d say ’s a nice and original stage!

Playability: 8/10

Tessie’s head seems like a spot where one could feasibly camp, but aside from tha’ ah see few problems with this stage. Water is o’ course an issue like in Kevandre’s stage, but th’ lack o’ a ship-spike makes it a wee bit more manageable.

Don't ever let me speak in fake Scottish again.

"Ultra Space" by TKOWL:

This is a perfect place for a Sun/Moon stage. A very standout, memorable location from the Alola region (er… I guess it’s not actually in the Alola region, is it?), and one that has a ton of little references for Pokemon fans! A beautiful stage choice, really!

Originality: 10/10

This stage is nutso. And I mean that in a good way! Weird, unique settings, crazy hazards like Kartana, interesting platform layouts… this stage is golden for originality. I love it all!

Playability: 5/10

Ok, so… on the whole, the stage is pretty ok. However, it seems like every single stop has some huge, glaring problem that cuts down its playability. Going down the list: The venom drench isn’t too big an issue, but chip damage and slowdown are always a bit annoying; Ultra Jungle has one of the the most frustrating layouts I’ve ever seen. Not only did you explicitly mention you can get stuck in the pit if your recovery isn’t good, but you can also be camped by someone on the upper branches, and with no way to get to them. I’m sorry, but it’s just bad; I wish you’d specified how harsh the lightning is, because it sounds pretty devastating, which isn’t great; I’m not sure I fully grasp how Kartana works, but it sounds like it would get in the way of battle a lot; and Ultra Ruins is actually pretty ok, so no complaints there.

Also, 50 seconds is a really long time to stay in one area. Like… to put it in perspective, a stage like Delphino Plaza stays in an area for around 15 seconds - you’ve more than tripled that, and in the process hindered the traveling theme that this round is all about.

"Ultra Warp Ride" by PeridotGX:

[See Iconic comments for TKOWL]

Dropping a point for the platform layouts being kinda bland, but other than that, everything is great! Like with TKOWL, it’s a ton of unique locations with interesting stuff to differentiate it from other Pokemon stages. Nicely done!

I said this for TKOWL, I’ll say it here too: 45 seconds is way too long to stick around one area. That said, you did better at making a functioning stage, for the most part. The jungle is still problematic, but it seems like you made a bigger fighting area and made the branches more accessible. Beyond that, the only hazard that concerns me is Necrozma’s pitch black… thing. Seems like it would make fighting in that area very frustrating. Other than that, things seemed alright. Not perfect, but alright.

Total Scores:

Kevandre: 65 points

GolisoPower: 59 points

TKOWL: 60 points

PeridotGX: 64 points

The Winner is............
The Hoenn Sea by Kevandre

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Oh dang by the skin of my teeth this time! Despite the lower than average entry number, this was an intense and close battle!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Huh. Did pretty decent in that round this time. Congrats, Kevandre Kevandre for your Hoenn boat!

Also, to psb, it probably didn’t help that I’m partly Scottish myself...XD

D

Deleted member

Huh. Did pretty decent in that round this time. Congrats, Kevandre Kevandre for your Hoenn boat!

Also, to psb, it probably didn’t help that I’m partly Scottish myself...XD

I think I just figured out what you look like.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
One point? Darn, but still congrats to Kevandre.

Also, I figure I'll start hinting at what my stage is with character icons. Assuming the tiebreaker goes with boss stages (because 3/4 of the last round's stages were Pokémon).

yeah, this one's a little obvious...

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 28!

Technically speaking we do have a tie in the poll between Pokemon 2 and Boss Stages. But the last round was almost entirely Pokemon stages and the two rounds before then also had a Pokemon stage submitted. I think the choice is clear here.

Winning the poll at 4 votes, Round 28 is.................

Boss Stages

First of all the obvious part. While the whole idea of "Spirits Mode" is just a rumor right now, it honestly wouldn't matter either way as we're looking for stages that would go in Smash mode that would still have a boss on them.

And I mean a boss. Something like the Flying Man in Magicant doesn't count. We're looking for things like Metal Face and the Dark Emperor from Find Mii. Things that really scream "boss" and might even give you a reward for defeating them.

Now because boss hazards like that tend to be frowned upon this is going to be one of the more difficult rounds to earn a good playability score in. For an idea of how to improve your scores coming from me at least, try to make your bosses more like The Dark Emperor and Ridley from Pyrosphere and less like the Yellow Devil and Metal Face.

The Problem with the Yellow Devil is just how much of the stage he takes up. He covers about half of it and when he moves to the other half it's via an attack that's hard to dodge. The reward you get for defeating him is alright though. A powerful explosion that you're immune to and can try to throw opponents in.

As for Metal Face, well first of all Gaur Plain has a bad layout to begin with but when Metal Face appears he almost locks you into the side you're already on and can even destroy that side with one of his attacks. The reward for defeating him also leaves something to be desired. He just explodes which could damage your opponents, but unlike the Yellow Devil it's a quick explosion that you barely have time to trap opponents into.

Ridley is what I consider a tolerable boss. We're not getting Pyrosphere back as a returning stage because, well, playable Ridley at long last. But back when he was a boss, he was one of the better executed ones. The stage was large enough to where you still had space to move around when he was present. His attacks, while powerful, weren't strong enough to be broken. You also earned a point every time you KO'd Ridley in a match. Only useful in Time Battles, but you could at least recruit Ridley by dealing enough damage.

The Dark Emperor was also a good one because he didn't obstruct the stage and wasn't an overly dangerous threat. His reward for defeating him wasn't all that useful but the stat boost he gave his slayer is at least a unique mechanic that meshes well with the source material.

That should give you an idea of what to do and what not to do with bosses. As always, any game that started as a video game and has been on a Nintendo System is eligible.

And with that, on August 20th 2018, Round 28 has begun. You have until Friday, August 24th to submit entries.

Good Luck!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Heads of the Hewdraw

(Kid Icarus Uprising)

So, initially, I put together this stage to be used in the Kid Icarus round, but the more I thought about it, the more I found that there are other stages from Kid Icarus that had better potential- Luckily, I didn’t have to trash this one since there was a boss round impending! :)

This stage starts off in the air- with all the combatants fighting each other on the back of the mythical creature, the Hewdraw. The Hewdraw is an enormous purple dragon (Who really is too big) with three heads. In this state, the Hewdraw will not attack any of the characters fighting on his back, but just keep flying through the air indefinitely. Its back writhes up and down though, so there is an alternating current to keep in mind while fighting.

And if you do nothing… That’s it. That’s the stage. Fight each other on the Hewdraw’s back and that’s all there is.

But… if one were to do 50% damage to one of the Hewdraw’s heads, it will inexplicably die and its other heads will also pop off of its body, and you’ll all start falling!

The falling lasts for about 8 seconds before your party lands in a coliseum!

It is here that you’re trapped- You can’t get out of the coliseum without defeating the first surviving Hewdraw head. This head will snap at you and attack- generally not KO’ing but can rack up a lot of damage! Do 50% to it and it’ll finally kick the bucket.

With 2 of the 3 Hewdraw heads dead, the coliseum’s gate will open and a short autoscrolling bit of the stage will begin as you walk (and fight) down a hillside towards a beautiful lake.

And, well… Guess what’s in the lake.

The final remaining Hewdraw head has landed in the lake! But he’s not looking for a fight… The lake Hewdraw head has had time to recover and has grown back his full body! Once you get down to the lake you can jump onto his back and retake to the sky. By the time you’re completely airborne, the other heads have resprouted and the level has reset.

I like the idea of this level because it basically fully encapsulates what this chapter is (Minus the final head’s fight, but for the sake of expedience and convenience in getting back to the starting position let’s just say this works better), with the glorious fighting and the travel aspect. In addition it combines KIU’s airborne and grounded combat as well. And, best of all, it’s completely optional if you want the hazards, regardless of hazard toggle! I’m really happy with the way this one came out. :)

Unlockable: Beat Classic Mode with Pit, Dark Pit & Palutena.

Music:​

D

Deleted member

Poll for Round 29 is up. I've already given a good amount of detail on 8 of the 10 options a couple pages ago. As for the other two, they're the repeat rounds for Zelda and Metroid. Pretty self-explanatory.

SkySkipper

Smash Rookie
I think maybe I'll give this a try. I was thinking of doing an Ocarina of Time Shadow Temple touring one with a Bongo Bongo boss fight, but I think I like this one better. So, if you'll excuse my poor artistic skills, here's my submission:
Quaggled Mireclops
Pikmin 3

The Quaggled Mireclops is the fifth boss that Alph, Brittany and Charlie fight in Pikmin 3. It is fought in the Garden of Hope after it has swallowed Louie.
At the beginning of the battle, the stage is a flat muddy area with walk-off edges. To the left is a small puddle, big enough for some of the smaller characters to swim in, but not enough to pose any real threat. In the middle is a small grassy mound with vegetation growing on it that is slightly elevated over the surrounding terrain. It's a fairly unremarkable stage, but it won't stay that way for long. About 10 seconds into the battle, the ground starts to shake, and the mound in the middle of the screen plucks itself out of the ground.
As the Quaggled Mireclops stands up, the screen raises with it, leaving the muddy ground below the lower blast line, so fighters have to hurry and get on the boss's back or they'll get KO'd. The fight then continues on its back as it stomps around. The fighting area is a little bigger than my picture makes it seem. As I said, I'm not the best artist, so just imagine that about one and a half times the size it's shown here.. The legs can also be stood upon, but they are not the most stable platforms, as they move and shake fighters off of them whenever the Mireclops takes a step. The central platform isn't entirely safe either, though, as every 20 seconds or so, the Quaggled Mireclops will sweep across it with its tongue, damaging anyone it hits. Most of the time, the bulb stays in the background, not interacting with the fight, but every couple attack cycles, it will come out into the fighting area and start flashing to indicate that it can be interacted with. At this time, anyone who touches it will take knockback from the spikes, but can also hit it with their attacks.
This goes on for a while, but eventually, the boss takes enough damage to defeat it. It explodes, but doesn't do any damage to anyone. Instead, it scatters food items all over, especially melons. The body falls back to the ground and the stage returns to how it was at the beginning of the fight. It stays this way for a while - much longer than it did at the beginning of the fight - but eventually, the bulb grows back and the cycle repeats itself.

Unlockable? : Yes - Clear Boss Rush mode with Alph

D

Deleted member

I think maybe I'll give this a try. I was thinking of doing an Ocarina of Time Shadow Temple touring one with a Bongo Bongo boss fight, but I think I like this one better. So, if you'll excuse my poor artistic skills, here's my submission:
Quaggled Mireclops
Pikmin 3

The Quaggled Mireclops is the fifth boss that Alph, Brittany and Charlie fight in Pikmin 3. It is fought in the Garden of Hope after it has swallowed Louie.
At the beginning of the battle, the stage is a flat muddy area with walk-off edges. To the left is a small puddle, big enough for some of the smaller characters to swim in, but not enough to pose any real threat. In the middle is a small grassy mound with vegetation growing on it that is slightly elevated over the surrounding terrain. It's a fairly unremarkable stage, but it won't stay that way for long. About 10 seconds into the battle, the ground starts to shake, and the mound in the middle of the screen plucks itself out of the ground.
As the Quaggled Mireclops stands up, the screen raises with it, leaving the muddy ground below the lower blast line, so fighters have to hurry and get on the boss's back or they'll get KO'd. The fight then continues on its back as it stomps around. The fighting area is a little bigger than my picture makes it seem. As I said, I'm not the best artist, so just imagine that about one and a half times the size it's shown here.. The legs can also be stood upon, but they are not the most stable platforms, as they move and shake fighters off of them whenever the Mireclops takes a step. The central platform isn't entirely safe either, though, as every 20 seconds or so, the Quaggled Mireclops will sweep across it with its tongue, damaging anyone it hits. Most of the time, the bulb stays in the background, not interacting with the fight, but every couple attack cycles, it will come out into the fighting area and start flashing to indicate that it can be interacted with. At this time, anyone who touches it will take knockback from the spikes, but can also hit it with their attacks.
This goes on for a while, but eventually, the boss takes enough damage to defeat it. It explodes, but doesn't do any damage to anyone. Instead, it scatters food items all over, especially melons. The body falls back to the ground and the stage returns to how it was at the beginning of the fight. It stays this way for a while - much longer than it did at the beginning of the fight - but eventually, the bulb grows back and the cycle repeats itself.

Considering my concerns on whether or not I would be able to continue the contest until Smash Ultimate releases like originally planned (the past couple of rounds have been lacking in activity) I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am to see a newcomer among the contestants. So allow me to give you a big welcome to the contest.

I do hope you'll stick around for what's to come. I can't go into too much detail about this until the grades are posted, but I think that you and Kevandre Kevandre both have utilized the potential of the "Boss Stages" concept in ways I could never have imagined.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Quaggled Mireclops
Pikmin 3

Welcome to the contest man. Your stage makes me want to pick up Pikmin 3.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Crystal_Arch.png

Stage Name:
Crystal Arch

Origin:
Diablo III

Description:
Home of the angels revered in Sanctuary, the High Heavens are one of the many stages in the story of Diablo III, with the Crystal Arch being the most notable monument in the realm. The layout of this stage is reminiscent to Final Destination, save for the parallel holes (Which players can fall through) that make way for the adornments, which can serve as hard platforms (The adornments on the edges of the stage are not platforms. After 30 seconds of battle, Diablo himself will appear. At the start of a match, an empty crystal orb appears in the UI on this stage to the left. When Diablo appears, the orb will fill up with red. This indicates Diablo's health, and will go down as he gets hit with 100% damage taking about a quarter of his health. When a character starts glowing orange, as shown with King K. Rool here, that means Diablo is targeting them. If Dark Samus deals 35% damage to Diablo, the glowing around K Rool will transfer to the Phazon Copy and Diablo will target her. Diablo is about two times the size of Playable!Ridley, moves slightly slower than Bowser’s run speed and has access to these moves:
  • Slash: Diablo will slash with his claws, tail or hooves to deal 4% damage, 5% damage and 6% damage respectively. Either one will come out once every 5 seconds Diablo is in battle.
  • Fireball: Diablo will throw a single fireball that goes along the ground and explodes after reaching an edge, creating a fire on the ground similar to how Rathalos does that deals 1% damage per second. The fireball itself deals 8% damage and 25% less knockback than Lucas' PK Fire.
  • Fire Wall: Diablo will cast a wall of fire that goes a quarter of the length of the entire stage total. This thing deals 16% damage and about as much knockback as a quarter-charged Flare Blade, but each player cannot be hit twice per cast. For example, if Inkling gets hit with Fire Wall once, she cannot be hit by it again.
  • Bone Prison: Diablo spawns up to three black pools randomly around the stage. If a player steps on one, Diablo will teleport to that pool and drains 12% damage, which heals him for double the amount before dropping the opponent. He can also teleport to a pool away from characters that like getting up close like Little Mac or right in front of characters who are up close, like Samus.
  • Flame Circle: Diablo will stomp on the ground and create a circle of fire that spreads out at Sonic's walk speed until each fireball is about 1.125-Simon-Whips away before disappearing. Each fireball does 7% damage and about as much knockback as Ike's half-charged Quick Draw.
  • Red Lightning Hose: If Diablo is below 25% of his health, he will go to one of the two edges of the stage and release his ultimate attack: Red Lightning Hose. This will go to half-way across the screen and deal a total of 25% damage with as much knockback as Ryu's normal Tatsumaki on the final hit. If you happen to be shielding while getting hit, both you and the shield will be damaged, albeit you take much less damage than normal. The Red Lightning Hose lasts about as long as the Zero Laser.
When a player manages to land the final blow on Diablo, that player will gain a shadow clone of the person currently in the lead of that match that will act as a Lvl 5 CPU. The shadow clone only has 50% damage's worth of health and isn't permanent: it will last only 30 seconds before disappearing. Another minute must pass until Diablo can appear again.

Unlockable:
Yes. Defeat Ganondorf 15 times as Pit or Simon.

Music:
Diablo III Medley
The Prime Evil (Diablo III)
Leoric's Crypt (Diablo III)
And The Heavens Shall Tremble (Diablo III)
Act 4 Crystal Arch (Diablo III)
The High Heavens (Diablo III)

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
View attachment 158970

Stage Name:
Crystal Arch

Origin:
Diablo III

Description:
Home of the angels revered in Sanctuary, the High Heavens are one of the many stages in the story of Diablo III, with the Crystal Arch being the most notable monument in the realm. The layout of this stage is reminiscent to Final Destination, save for the parallel holes (Which players can fall through) that make way for the adornments, which can serve as hard platforms (The adornments on the edges of the stage are not platforms. After 30 seconds of battle, Diablo himself will appear. At the start of a match, an empty crystal orb appears in the UI on this stage to the left. When Diablo appears, the orb will fill up with red. This indicates Diablo's health, and will go down as he gets hit with 100% damage taking about a quarter of his health. When a character starts glowing orange, as shown with King K. Rool here, that means Diablo is targeting them. If Dark Samus deals 35% damage to Diablo, the glowing around K Rool will transfer to the Phazon Copy and Diablo will target her. Diablo is about two times the size of Playable!Ridley, moves slightly slower than Bowser’s run speed and has access to these moves:
  • Slash: Diablo will slash with his claws, tail or hooves to deal 4% damage, 5% damage and 6% damage respectively. Either one will come out once every 5 seconds Diablo is in battle.
  • Fireball: Diablo will throw a single fireball that goes along the ground and explodes after reaching an edge, creating a fire on the ground similar to how Rathalos does that deals 1% damage per second. The fireball itself deals 8% damage and 25% less knockback than Lucas' PK Fire.
  • Fire Wall: Diablo will cast a wall of fire that goes a quarter of the length of the entire stage total. This thing deals 16% damage and about as much knockback as a quarter-charged Flare Blade, but each player cannot be hit twice per cast. For example, if Inkling gets hit with Fire Wall once, she cannot be hit by it again.
  • Bone Prison: Diablo spawns up to three black pools randomly around the stage. If a player steps on one, Diablo will teleport to that pool and drains 12% damage, which heals him for double the amount before dropping the opponent. He can also teleport to a pool away from characters that like getting up close like Little Mac or right in front of characters who are up close, like Samus.
  • Flame Circle: Diablo will stomp on the ground and create a circle of fire that spreads out at Sonic's walk speed until each fireball is about 1.125-Simon-Whips away before disappearing. Each fireball does 7% damage and about as much knockback as Ike's half-charged Quick Draw.
  • Red Lightning Hose: If Diablo is below 25% of his health, he will go to one of the two edges of the stage and release his ultimate attack: Red Lightning Hose. This will go to half-way across the screen and deal a total of 25% damage with as much knockback as Ryu's normal Tatsumaki on the final hit. If you happen to be shielding while getting hit, both you and the shield will be damaged, albeit you take much less damage than normal. The Red Lightning Hose lasts about as long as the Zero Laser.
When a player manages to land the final blow on Diablo, that player will gain a shadow clone of the person currently in the lead of that match that will act as a Lvl 5 CPU. The shadow clone only has 50% damage's worth of health and isn't permanent: it will last only 30 seconds before disappearing. Another minute must pass until Diablo can appear again.

Unlockable:
Yes. Defeat Ganondorf 15 times as Pit or Simon.

Music:
Diablo III Medley
The Prime Evil (Diablo III)
Leoric's Crypt (Diablo III)
And The Heavens Shall Tremble (Diablo III)
Act 4 Crystal Arch (Diablo III)
The High Heavens (Diablo III)
I love when we have open rounds that allow people to go full fanboy on their entries. I have only played Diablo II, in like 2003, but this is cool

SkySkipper

Smash Rookie
Considering my concerns on whether or not I would be able to continue the contest until Smash Ultimate releases like originally planned (the past couple of rounds have been lacking in activity) I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am to see a newcomer among the contestants. So allow me to give you a big welcome to the contest.

I do hope you'll stick around for what's to come. I can't go into too much detail about this until the grades are posted, but I think that you and Kevandre Kevandre both have utilized the potential of the "Boss Stages" concept in ways I could never have imagined.
Welcome to the contest man. Your stage makes me want to pick up Pikmin 3.
Thank you both. This is one of a number of stage ideas that I've had rattling around in my head for years, so it's nice to be able to find somewhere where I can use it.
I intend to stick around for future rounds, assuming that I can find the time. As I said, I've got more stages in mind where that came from. (Though a disproportionate number of them are from the Pokémon and Zelda series)

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
"Kept ya waiting, huh?" Hey guys, I submitted way back in the Mother/Earthbound round, but I have returned once again. I've wanted to make stages for some of the other rounds, but didn't have the time unfortunately, but I still enjoyed lurking and looking at the submissions. Luckily I did have some free time to whip something up for this round, so here is my submission:

"MOTHER BASE"
from Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Metal Gear Solid is one of my favorite game series, and while I enjoy Shadow Moses Island, I feel like the Metal Gear featured on that stage are under-utilized. I mean, these giant mechs are what the games are named after, so I feel like they should be more prominent in the stages. And what better way to include them than as a stage boss?

Mother Base is a pretty iconic location from the franchise, appearing in The Phantom Pain and Peace Walker (and a similar structure called the Big Shell appears in Metal Gear Solid 2). In MGSV, Mother Base is a large rig in the ocean off the coast of Africa where you spend your downtime between missions, researching new weapons and expanding your personal army. You may even be able to spot one such ally perched high on the leftmost building, silently watching the battle below through the scope of her deadly sniper rifle... Over the course of the game, Mother Base begins to feel like your home amidst all of the constant turmoil, and many important parts of the story unfold here as well.

My stage is based on the The Phantom Pain version, and therefore I've included the main Metal Gear from the game, Sahelanthropus, as the boss character. It's a towering mech that will walk in from the right side and survey the battlefield. It's a unique boss in that it cannot be KO'd by normal attacks, but I'll go into more detail about that in a little bit. On an unrelated note, here is a picture better demonstrating the stage collisions just for those interested:
The red lines represent solid terrain, while the green ones represent pass-through platforms.

Now, onto the boss explanation. A little ways into the match, the classic red alert symbol (!) will appear in a speech bubble on the right side of the stage, giving the players a warning that Sahelanthropus is about to appear. This gives them about 3 seconds to get ready. Once the mech appears, it will begin scanning the battlefield for victims. When you first encounter Sahelanthropus in the original game, you are unable to fight it and must hide from its sight in order to survive. This is the case on this stage as well. Similar to 5-Volt (the mom on the Gamer stage), you must hide from Sahelanthropus's gaze, represented by a red searchlight. The light will sweep the entire stage, but there are several areas to escape to, shown in this image:
The blue highlighted areas represent where you are safe from the searchlight. (And yes, you can still get down to that bottom platform where Wario is even when Sahelanthropus is on the field, I just kinda ran out of space.)

Remain in any other area other than these safe spaces and you are at risk of being caught in the light and subsequently attacked. If Sahelanthropus catches you, it will lash out with its whip-sword (as seen here) or launch a barrage of missiles, dealing heavy damage to the player. It's in your best interest to stay hidden, but if you're feeling gutsy, forcing other players into the searchlight for an easy KO is also an option. Once a sweep of the area is complete or it has KO'd its prey, Sahelanthropus will exit the screen for a short time before appearing again later. I mentioned earlier that Sahelanthropus cannot be harmed by normal attacks. Dealing enough damage to it can cause it to retreat early, but this is not a good strategy in the long run as it will still continue to return to wreak havoc. However, there is one way to KO the giant mechanical beast once and for all.

Calling for supply drops is an important mechanic in MGSV as they supply you with weapons, health, and more, and they come into play on this stage as well. On occasion, a yellow flare will appear somewhere on the stage while Sahelanthropus is in play. Any player who comes into contact with the flare will initiate a supply drop just like in the original game. The drop's projected destination will appear at the top of the screen, and players will definitely want to scramble to be the one to pick it up once it lands. Anyone can call in the drop, and anyone can pick it up. Just don't get hit by the falling package directly, or you'll be temporarily stunned.

The supply drop crate will break upon landing, revealing a special item exclusive to this stage: "the Killer Bee." One of the most recognizable weapons from the game's story, the Killer Bee is a very powerful rocket launcher useful for taking down heavily armored enemies such as tanks and vehicles. And, during your second encounter with Sahelanthropus in the game, powerful explosive weapons such as rocket launchers are crucial to your victory. This weapon is the only chance you have at defeating the monstrous Metal Gear.

Here, the Killer Bee functions similar to the existing "Steel Diver" item when fired, as its projectiles start off slow but then increase in speed, the difference being the Killer Bee deals heavy explosive damage to whatever it hits. The Killer Bee only has 5 rounds of ammunition, and you'll need 3 direct hits to Sahelanthropus to defeat it, so make your shots count! Other players can attack whomever is using the Killer Bee, causing them to drop it and allowing them a chance to score the final shot on the boss instead (though the ammo does not reset per player).

When defeated, Sahelanthropus will collapse and then explode, dealing critical damage to all opponents other than the fighter who scored the final shot. It will then disappear down past the lower portion of the screen. After several seconds, a new base platform will be constructed in the background, and several helicopters will fly towards it, carrying the defeated Metal Gear underneath them. Just like in the game, they'll deposit Sahelanthropus on your base, where it will remain for the rest of the battle. With your deterrent secured and the world saved from nuclear war, you can rest easy!... For now, at least...

Unlockable?
Yes. Have each of the 3 Metal Gears (REX, RAY, and the Gekkos) break through the back wall on Shadow Moses Island.

Music
OKB Zero
Metallic Archaea
Sahelanthropus Dominion
Bloodstained Anthem
Beautiful Mirage - The Vision Fades / V Has Come To (Medley/Remix)
Quiet's Theme
Love Deterrence / Heavens Divide (Medley/Remix)
Sidecar - Escape From the Fortress (Remix)

Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
SR-388
Metroid: Samus Returns

This is the planet of SR-388, the setting of Metroid 2: Return of Samus and its remake Metroid: Samus Returns, along with the home of the Metroids. Tasked with eliminating all 39 Metroids on the planet, Samus must make her way through the twisting caverns of the hostile world and its inhabitants, the most deadly being the aforementioned Metroids. However, they have a new twist up their sleeve from last time: evolving into fiercer and more vicious forms that put up an intense fight for Samus. Samus eventually makes her way to their queen, defeating her and ensuring that the last Metroid, a baby, is in captivity, and that the galaxy is at peace.

The main stage, as in the image before this one, starts out with a simple set of three platforms, one with three ridges and two below that one, creating a sort of crevice. The two at the bottom have small jutting out points at the pit opening, ensuring that players with bad recoveries can still survive if knocked in. Normally, the pits at the side are very large and wide, but this stage's gimmick ensures that won't be the case forever: the many Metroids.

metroid1.PNG

Alpha Metroids
These small creatures are about the size of Kirby, and float around in the large off-stage areas, moving left and right and not minding anyone's business unless someone collides with them. They can be taken out with about 10% damage inflicted on them and provide no rewards amongst defeat.

metroid2.PNG

Gamma Metroids
These creatures are about one and a half times bigger than Alpha Metroids and scuttle across the basin area of the central stage, knocking away any fighter that they collide with. However, if one can retaliate fast enough and inflict 16% or more damage on them when they're approaching, they can knock them away, causing them to blast away and damage anyone who is hit by their carcass flying off, almost like the enemies in Smash Run.

metroid3.PNG

Zeta Metroids
The first of the major Metroid enemies and why this stage is a boss battle stage. It always remains in a hunch but is bigger than any character on the roster. Once one appears, no more Gamma Metroids will spawn in, but Alpha Metroids will still remain. A large chunk of land to the right rises up after a small siren warning, and the Zeta will be on it. The Zeta crawls around this platform and the stage, firing acid breath that stuns fighters for a moment then slightly launches them. If it's on any regular ground, it will quickly claw at anyone near it, which knocks away fighters. It will sometimes lunge back and prepare a big strike, which causes a lot of damage and can KO opponents easily when launched. However, a flash of light will sometimes appear when it does so, and if the target strikes back at this very moment, they can hit it with a lethal counterattack, stunning it on the ground and allowing everyone to wail on it. It has 80% HP, and whoever finishes it off will have Metroid DNA and several power-up orbs fly into them, and then start glowing: the fighter is now super-charged! Their attack, launch power, and speed will have increased, which lasts for 20 seconds. This guy is a nuisance, but defeating him will give you a power boost in a pinch! Once it's defeated, or it's on the stage for 40 seconds, the ground it appeared on crumbled and falls down into the abyss slowly after a few seconds and with a warning, resetting the play field.

metroid4.PNG

Omega Metroids
While the Zeta Metroid might have been a mild irritant, then the Omega Metroid is something to be feared, as it's about twice the size of Bowser. If one appears, a chunk of land to the left rises up after a dangerous siren plays. with it waiting atop. When an Omega Metroid is on stage, Gammas and Zetas will not spawn in at all. The Zeta roars, and then begins its attack cycles. One of them it charges up a massive laser beam, and then strikes the stage, trapping fighters within it for continuous damage; however, it can be avoided by hiding behind scenery or going below or above where it strikes, as the laser doesn't move further than where it was fired. If opponents are close, it will strike with its claws, inflicting large damage but not having much KO power. Sometimes, its slash will take away chunks of the stage, but these will be replenished once it's defeated or goes away after about 40 seconds. Its scariest attack, however, is when it goes in for a bite after reeling back, any anyone trapped in the close-range bite will be almost immediately KO'd. However, before striking, it flashes like the Zeta, and any attack that connects with it at this point will cause a counterattack, stunning the Omega for a few seconds and allowing everyone to strike it. The Omega has 130% HP, but it takes slightly less damage when attacked from the back. Whoever lands the the final blow will reap a hefty reward once absorbing its DNA and many power-up orbs: super armor and heavily increased stats in everything for around 20 seconds! Players have to decide if this beast is worth fighting, as the power-boost rewards are too good to pass up! Like the Zeta, if the Omega is defeated or 40 seconds pass, the ground it appeared on will crumble and slowly fall into the abyss after a warning.

The Queen Metroid, unfortunately, does not appear on this stage, as I couldn't think of any way to put her in the stage without having her be too infuriating. In the background, SR-388 local wildlife will be crawling around the caves, along with Samus' ship resting. Whenever a Zeta Metroid appears, the background clouds up a bit, and when an Omega appears, the sky will be harsh and stormy.

Music:
The Surface of SR-388
Metroid Fight Medley (Remix of the Alpha/Gamma/Zeta/Omega Metroid fights from Samus Returns)
Chozo Laboratory
Diggernaut Battle Theme
Magmoor Caverns (Remix)
Serris/Yakuza Boss Theme (Remix)
Dark Samus Boss Theme (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Now this is what I'm talking about. I would certainly welcome more activity, but I like that activity in general is on the rise again.

Also I have a quick update to make on the poll. Currently there are FIVE ROUNDS that are tied for first at 2 votes each! Damn. It's very likely to change by the time Round 29 actually begins. But I will let you guys know this ahead of time so that you can properly prepare. In the event that this tie persists, my choice for what Round 29 will be is Yoshi and Wario Stages.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Sonic Mania
Stardust Speedway

Contest28 1.png
Stardust Speedway is a zone in the Sonic Series, first appearing in Sonic CD. It returned in Mania, being the 6th zone, directly after some Wintery Printing Press thing (A stage based on that would be pretty neat, right?). One of the most notable bits of Stardust Speedway is that it's usually home to a boss fight with Metal Sonic.

The Smash stage version takes place in Mania's Act 2. There are two floating platforms, walkoffs, and a Hologram projecting Metal Sonic. If everyone leaves it be it won't activate and nothing happens, but if 2 or more players attack it with a powerful enough attack, it breaks and the real Metal Sonic appears. The stage then enters an autoscroll section where you're chaced by Metal Sonic. The autoscroll is slow enough that a fight can continue on, and is changed based on what characters are in use (4 Robins are much slower then 2 Sonics). During this phase, Metal Sonic's only attack is ramming into a player, it's dodgable easily enough. Metal Sonic can be damaged, but it doesn't do anything yet. About 15 seconds later, the stage stops autoscrolling. The players can stay there if they don't want to continue the fight, but if they go forward the fight enters phase 2.

Contest28 2.png

In phase two of the fight, the stage goes into a science lab of sorts with one floating platform. Metal Sonic retreats to the background and starts summoning Silver Sonics, who act like Smash Run Versions of Bowser Jr's Mechakoopas and have about 40 HP. Seems like a bad situation, right? Not quite, as if you kill a Silver Sonic it releases electric shocks that deal damage to Metal Sonic. Furthermore, if you throw one into Metal Sonic it deals extra damage. If you kill 6 Silver Sonics (3 if thrown into Metal), Metal Sonic collapses. It's completely possible this could be the end of the fight, but a test tube containing the Phantom Ruby also appears on the initial defeat of Metal Sonic. Once again, if 2 players attack the Phantom Ruby's container it gets released, and falls on Metal Sonic. This starts the final phase of the fight.
Contest28 3.png

Metal Sonic, now giant and resembling Metal Sonic Kai from Knuckles' Chaotix, has destroyed the background and is now standing there, roughly the same size as the new Giga Bowser. It attacks with Lazers, Punches, and Bombs that can kill at around 130%. Metal Sonic itself has 100 HP in this phase, but any damage from Phase 1 carries over. When Metal Sonic gets destroyed, the Phantom Ruby joins the player that gave the most damage, giving them a free Final Smash. That's it, some platflorms fly in but Metal Sonic never respawns.

Notes: You know that stage I mentioned that could go in 4 rounds? This was it. Anyways I'm not expecting a high score, I'm worried it's not playable enough.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone! This is my first time actually posting a stage in this thread, though I’ve been following it for awhile since I enjoy seeing what stages everyone comes up with each round. I’ve meant to enter in previous rounds, but I tend to run out of time. Well, not this week folks!

Without further ado, here’s my entry:

CHOZO RUINS
(from Metroid Prime)

The Metroid Prime trilogy is probably one of my favorite game trilogies, with the first entry setting a high standard in terms of gameplay and exploration. The Chozo Ruins are the first main area of the game, and it’s mysterious and foreboding atmosphere makes it truly unique and memorable. Originally, I was going to make a stage based off the battle with Flaahgra, but I changed my mind and decided to focus solely on the Chozo themselves, since this is what the area is named after. I always loved the Chozo’s lore and their mystique, so why not dedicate a stage to them? Samus is a badass because of them after all!

This stage is specifically based off The Hall of Elders. Seems peaceful, right? Wrong!

Anyone who’s played the game may recognize this temple, as the first place where Samus encounters the spooky (and annoying) Chozo Ghosts! Sometime after the match starts, the stage will dim, signaling the approach of one the mystical ghosts. It is important to note that only one ghost will appear at a time, unlike the multitude you have to fight at once in Metroid Prime. This helps keep things… well, less annoying.

Want to see the Ghosts in action? Suit yourself...

The Chozo Ghost will teleport around the stage, firing energy projectiles at the players and be a general nuisance until defeated. The Ghost will also occasionally turn invisible, making it even harder to keep track of. Despite being hard to catch, the Chozo Ghost will go down after about three hits, disappearing in cloud of blue whips.

After being defeated, the lights in the room will come back up and the hands of the giant Chozo statue in the middle of the stage will lower, presenting the player who dealt the last hit on the Chozo Ghost with a strong item (like an assist trophy, Poké Ball, hammer, etc.). This item is unique in that it can only be picked up by the player who defeated the Chozo Ghost; anyone else who tries to pick it up will be unable to.

This cycle of battling a Chozo Ghost will repeat up to three times until the match is finished or the timer runs out.

MUSIC:
Chozo Ruins (Metroid Prime) - Remix
Chozo Artifact Temple (Metroid Prime)
Flaahgra Battle (Metroid Prime)
Chozo Ghost Battle (Metroid Prime) - Remix
Luminoth Energy Controller (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes) - Remix
Light Temple / Temple Grounds / Title Theme (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes) - Remix, hopefully one one as godly as this one
Chozo Ruins (Metroid: Zero Mission)

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited:
Top Bottom