• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

D

Deleted member

Round 24 is closed. See you on Sunday with the grades for it. Well, hopefully. Image hosting issues still persist it would seem. Even Peridot's method he recommended hasn't worked for me yet.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Dang thanks fam. I didn't even realize mine vanished.
Guess these images have stage fright or something :p

Ok I'm gonna get it out of the way now. I know NOTHING about Mario Party, so sorry if i mess up your Iconic Status.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
Kevandre Kevandre and splat splat , edit your posts and reupload the images. It worked for me getting the images working again.
Smashboards and broken images, name a more iconic duo.

Thanks for the heads-up. They seem to work now without me having to do anything, so I guess Smashboard fixed itself?

Also, a little tip: if images don't work in the post, they usually do work if you quote the post. I don't know why, but it seems to work for me.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Guess these images have stage fright or something :p

Ok I'm gonna get it out of the way now. I know NOTHING about Mario Party, so sorry if i mess up your Iconic Status.
Pretty iconic lel

I'd say that with the exception of the DS stage (Sorry PeridotGX PeridotGX ), all the minigames repped in this round are pretty iconic for the series in general

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 24 grades! Apologies in advance GolisoPower. But me and Mr. Cotton lack the skills of an author that you, MarioAddict and Cosmic possess =P anyhow, grades.

psb123's grades:

Bowser's Big Blast by Kevandre Kevandre

Iconic Status: 5/5

Leave it to Mario Party to make something memorable by making it stressful :p Mario Party is very likely the most popular and memorable game in the series and this is a really well known mini-game among it's fans.

Originality: 10/10

Not really sure how it could be anything else to be honest. It's basically an exact representation of the mini-game but in Smash format.

Playability: 7/10

You ever see an idea for a stage that, when you judge it on playability, it's hazards force you to consider it to be like one of the stages that border on too gimmicky yet you wouldn't get rid of or change the hazards because they just work so well for the idea?

That's how I feel about this stage. I have to be fair and take off points for it's lack of practicality. But Honestly I think you made the best move you could have with this kind of idea.

Overall Score: 22/25

Party Tour?

Mario Party Tour?

Mario Party Party Tour?

I'm not sure what it's supposed to be called. But it's the stage by splat splat

Well all of those Mini-games made it into the Top 100. Personally I think Mario Party The Top 100 should have been a Switch game that also had some boards from the old games (prior to 9 anyway. Thank god for Super Mario Party) but being featured in the Top 100 is still something to brag about.

Starting on a board and then going into the mini-games is a really faithful adaptation of the source material. I will admit I was on the fence for a decent chunk of time on whether or not I was fine with the board being a generic one from Mario Party 10 or if I felt it should been a more notable board like say, Space Land from Mario Party 2. Ultimately I decided to be fine with it since it would have just been a cosmetic change anyway.

A lot of what I said about Kevandre's stage applies here as well. Hazards that really hurt playability but just work too well with the idea for me to say they should be removed. Your stage is technically more hazardous than Kevandre's, which had me considering a lower score, but I think the Lakitu in paths of peril evened it out.

Booksquirm by GolisoPower GolisoPower

A fan favorite, if not THE fan favorite, mini-game of Mario Party 4. There is a point where later Mario Parties would lose iconic points because they aren't as well known as the older ones. But I don't think that point is reached until Mario Party 5. So you're good to go here.

I mean. It is another case of being a near perfect adaptation of the Mini-Game it's based on. That sure is happening a lot this round.

The indication of where you need to go to avoid the pages is clear. But getting there and staying there long enough in a game of Smash would be quite tricky.

Rainbow Dream by Luminario Luminario

Iconic Status: 4/5

First of all, I just want to leave a reminder of what I said at the start of this round.

"One peculiar thing I recently realized though is that while it's certainly possible to base a stage off of the various boards throughout the series, the Mini-Games themselves take you to a variety of locales as well. Just something to think about."

I was not kidding when I said that was a recent realization. I only figured out that the mini-games could be used a couple of days before Round 24. Until then my mind was locked on the boards. So you can image that I find it to be quite the coincidence that this is the only submission that was purely a board.

Sadly though, it is a Mario Party 5 board. Like I said on GolisoPower's stage, I think Mario Party 5 is where we reach the point of the older games being more iconic than the newer ones. Look on the bright side though! It's only one point off. We're not treading in Mario Party 8 territory after all.

Pressing a button that looks like a ? space to activate the hazards was quite clever. Especially since all of those hazards are related to what the ? spaces do on each respective cloud in Mario Party 5.

Playability: 8/10

The hazards are certainly there. And the Rain Cloud and Sunny Cloud hazards in particular are a tad more tricky to deal with. But all in all it's not too bad.

Fast Food Frenzy by PeridotGX PeridotGX

Iconic Status: 3/5

Oh handheld Mario Parties. How I scorn you and your lack of convenient multi-player. Even the Wii U virtual console release of Mario Party DS is a 1-player only game -_- *sigh* maybe I'm asking for too much out of emulation. In any case, that lack of easy to use multiplayer is a big reason why when people do remember the handheld games, it's usually with disgust. But I guess this one is a bit better off than the 3DS Mario Parties.

Another case of a fantastic adaption of the mini-game in question.

1st of all, I like that the conveyor belt can't push any fighters off the edge. The food also allows for more platforms but because of the negative effects of a few of them there are some that you'd want more than others which is a little wonky to deal with. At least they aren't permanent since more food can come in to knock off the old stuff. But that could be a double-edged sword since it means hazardless food could vanish in place of hazardous food. That won't look good on the health report.

Overall Score: 20/25

Cosmic77's grades:

Aww... No one made a stage based off of Mario Party 8? I would've loved to have seen the Excess Express.

"Bowser’s Big Blast" by Kevandre:

I'll admit, it's not one of the minigames I come back to frequently. Still, it's pretty memorable, and it represents the series well. Everything about this stage just screams "Mario Party".

Originality: 9/10

I like the way you incorporated the minigame into your stage. Seems to do a great job of transitioning the same feeling you get when you play this minigame for real.

Forcing players to hide behind the walls was also original. Can't think of any other stage where camping next to a wall is a good idea.

Playability: 4/10

That explosion might be hilarious in light-hearted casual matches, but I can't see anyone being able to have a real Smash battle here. The layout is wonky, and you'd basically have to stay behind a wall the entire match if you wanted to stay safe (but even then, you'd be obvious combo food).

Overall Score: 18/25

"Party Tour" by splat:

Nice hodge podge of the Mario Party series! Can't think of a better way to represent the series.

...Well actually, I can think of one thing. I really would've liked to have seen a few more minigames from more modern Mario Party games. I feel like this stage focuses too much on the older titles.

Like I said before, this is one of the best ways I've seen to represent the Mario Party series. The gimmick is relatively simple, the different layouts are interesting, and there's plenty of callbacks to the Mario Party games over the years. Fantastic job overall.

Playability: 9/10

There's more than enough here to prevent you from getting a perfect score, but I don't see anything too insane. Even if I can't give you a perfect score, I wouldn't have left anything out. The hazards help make the stage more original.

Overall Score: 24/25

"Booksquirm" by GolisoPower:

Booksquirm, eh? That's a name I haven't heard in years," said the incredibly handsome and talented judge, Cosmic77. He stared at the ground, carefully piecing together what he would say next. "I'll be blunt with ya, kid. I have some... concerns about many people recognizing this stage, particularly the young ones. I'm afraid they just might not know where this minigame came from."

Originality: 6/10

Cosmic77 took note of the visible distress on GolisoPower's face. What score should he give the stage? There were certainly some good parts, but there were also a few areas Cosmic77 wasn't quite impressed with. "I do like the concept and the hazards," he began, "but I don't think it's quite as creative as your competition. A stage based off flipping the page of a book seems pale in comparison to the countless other ideas you could've chosen. Still, your stage deserves a round of applause."

"This... This stage..." A single strand of sweat rolled down Cosmic77's face. He knew what had to be said. "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that knockback from the page is simply too much! It interferes with what should be a grand battle between beloved gaming icons."

Overall Score: 17/25

"Rainbow Dream" by Luminario:

I'll meet you halfway. It's not a memorable board, but it's still a board regardless. The boards should be far more of a staple to Mario Party than the minigames.

I'm actually glad someone took the tougher route and made a stage based off a board. Really like how you stayed true to the game. Incorporating Mario Party mechanics like Green Spaces into your stage is no easy task.

The hazards can be a bit troublesome at times, but keep in mind that they're what got you a perfect Originality score from me. They help make your stage more memorable.

"Fast Food Frenzy" by PeridotGX:

Y'know, I'm gonna argue that this stage is pretty iconic. Mario Party DS was a modest success, and the Shy Guys and the Shy Guy faces being stapled on all the food should at least key you in that this comes from some type of Mario game.

This is actually a pretty amazing way to represent the minigame. I really love the idea of food rolling off the conveyor belt on to the stage where players fight.

Also, nice touch with the pancakes and yogurt functioning exactly like how they did in the original.

The pancakes and yogurt warrant one point being taken off. Everything else is fine.

Overall Score: 23/25

TheMarioAddict's grades:

"Bowser’s Big Blast" by Kevandre:

I mean, it’s not exactly my favorite minigame in the series, but damn if it ain’t memorable. Plus, even if you’ve never touched a Mario Party game, it’s still pretty apparent that this is from a Mario Party game. Nice choice!

Originality: 8/10

I really like the creativity on display here - a huge explosion that’s triggered by a luck-based minigame isn’t something Smash has seen before (though a slight similarity to Gamer in how the mechanic works knocks off one point here). That, plus the overall look of the stage (along with the notes I made in the Iconic section) give this stage very high marks in Originality.

Playability: 4/10

That explosion is terrifying. With hazards off, I could see this stage being fine - probably a 7 or 8 from me. But that explosion is so devastating and covers so much of the stage that it loses you a ton of points (honestly, the only reasons I’m not giving less are because there’s a good amount of warning before the blast and because I can see this being a pretty fun stage for silly goof-off matches.)

Overall Score: 17/25

"Party Tour" by splat:

You’ve covered just about every Mario Party in existence, and within that covered some of the best minigames from each of those games. It’s hard to justify anything less than a perfect score here.

This is exactly what I’d want from a Mario Party stage, in every single sense. A simple, relatively unobtrusive mechanic that players can interact with to change the stage, and it makes perfect sense within the context of the source material! This feels like a stage from Sakurai himself.

And on top of all the creativity, you managed to do the best thing of all - you kept all the platform layouts perfectly playable! ...well, ok, maybe not perfectly playable. A few stages have little things that work against them. If each minigame were a stage in isolation, I’d probably just shrug it off, but having them all in one stage merits a single point off, I feel. Still, this is a stage I could see my friends and I spending countless hours on.

Overall Score: 24/25

"Booksquirm" by GolisoPower:

Hold on, let me warm up my storytelling chops. *clears throat*...

“Booksquirm...” the judge known as TheMarioaddict said, “Yes, you have indeed chosen a worthy minigame to base your stage upon. However, the minigame does not immediately read as a stage from Mario Party without prior knowledge, and so I feel that a single point should be taken away.”

TheMarioaddict began to scrutinize the stage before him. Indeed, there were things to be praised - although the platform layout was nothing new, the constant turning of pages behind it gave the stage a new spin that even he had never seen before. Still, he saw room for improvement. Had I made this stage, I’d have made the page bury players rather than knock them back, he thought. TheMarioaddict shook his head - it’s hardly worth taking away points for not doing things the way he would do them. And so, TheMarioaddict gave the stage eight points.

Playability: 6/10

“Two Limit charges…” the judge frowned, scratching at his beard all the while. “That would be about fifteen seconds, correct?”
“Thirteen, sir.” the young GolisoPower corrected. “Thirteen and a half.”
“I see… and those holes-” the judge pointed towards the holes in the pages. “How does one know where to stand to avoid them?”
“There, on the ground, see?” the contestant pointed down. “Those marks show the safe areas.”
“Ah, you’re right…” the judge stood silent for a moment, then smiled. “Well, I must admit, I’m surprised. The page turning does seem quite a daunting obstacle, one that should absolutely ruin the playability of this stage. However, between the lengthy page turns, the floor indicators, and the relatively low amount of damage it causes, I think you’ve managed to resolve much of the problem. However, even with all your precautions, it seems to me it would be rather difficult to avoid the page’s wrath - a fact which loses a good few points. Still, it’s far from failing by any means.”

“Now run along,” TheMarioaddict said, “The final judge awaits.”

"Rainbow Dream" by Luminario:

I mean, it’s certainly a Mario Party stage, but not one I can say I remember very well. Granted, MP5 was never my jam (I was always into 7, 8, and 2), so I may be wrong.

First and foremost: I love that you included green spaces. Anyone who’s played a Mario Party game knows what those mean, and it’s a nice way to trigger the various hazards. Speaking of, the hazards are neat touches, though they (and even the stages they accompany) all remind me of past stages in some way or another (in order: Midgar, Distant Planet, Boxing Ring, and Hyrule). Even with the similarities, though, this is another great stage idea. It’s sort of like the other side of splat’s stage - where his stage was all about the minigames, yours was all about the board. Nicely done.

The hazards do hurt you a bit here, though not that much. The lightning, water, and blizzard are all relatively harmless - only worth a single point between them. No, it’s the rainbow that’s hurting you here - it’s pretty brutal, even if it does take a while to drop. The actual platform layouts are fine for the most part, but I can see little issues here and there (Snow Cloud seems pretty camp-able, Sunny Cloud could be a cave of life). All in all, not the worst, but not the best either.

"Fast Food Frenzy" by PeridotGX:

Iconic Status: 2/5

>Mario Party DS
Ah, I see you’re a man of culture as well.

My biases aside, sadly MPDS was not terribly popular, though you did pick a decently memorable minigame (personally, I’d have gone with Rotisserie Rampage). Still, the overall unmemorableness of MPDS forces me to give you a low score here (but know that in my heart, this will always be a 5/5).

Originality: 9/10

This is pretty clever, actually. Typically when there’s a conveyor belt in a stage, it goes side to side, messing with your footing, but here it goes into the foreground, which leads to a lot more possibilities. Add into that a randomized platform layout in a setting we haven’t seen before, and this gets some pretty high originality points!

The pancakes give me enough concern to warrant removing one point, but the rest seems perfectly fine. I’d play on a stage like this a ton.

Mr. Cotton's grades:

Kevandre’s Bowser’s Big Blast
Ok I’m gonna get it out of the way now whilst i can. I know nothing about Mario Party except that Wario’s the best character. So, I’m just gonna play it safe and give you all 5/5s on the Iconic Status.

A stage with a giant ticking bomb in the center of it is really an original idea! I want this stage in smash now…

Playability:9/10
The bomb killing everyone who’s not behind a barrier is a little overpowered, But I’ll only take one point off since you can get behind a wall very quickly.

24/25

Splat’s Mario Party Party Tour.
A few of these are probably iconic. I don’t know though.

This is EXACTLY what a Mario Party stage should be.

Playability: 10/10

All of the hazards are fun, yet not unfair! I like it!

Score: 25/25

GolisoPower’s Booksquirm
Iconic Status: 5/5 I think this is an iconic minigame. ._.

Wow! This stage looks great! Never did i expect to find myself fighting on a giant book.

Playability:6/10
You didn’t specify what would happen if you got crushed, and I can’t judge how fair it is. So sadly That’s gonna take quite a few points off of your score.

Score: 21/25

Luminario’s Rainbow Dream

I take it this is an iconic stage…

Originality: 7/10

I will admit, that this feels a bit like Splat’s stage. And some mechanics feel way to similar to some existing stage mechanics.

Playability:10/10
Nothing out of wack here.

Score: 22/25

PedirotGX’s Fast Food Frenzy

I don’t know if this is iconic, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Never expected a food stage. Pretty fun though!

Playability: 10/10
Platforms appearing and disappearing isn’t broken, So...10/10 points for you.

Score: 25/25

Total Scores:

Kevandre: 81 points

splat: 95 points

GolisoPower: 78 points

Luminario: 82 points

PeridotGX: 88 points

The Winner is...........
Party Tour by splat

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

D

Deleted member

Also can I request that contestants not use a numbered order or those dots that do the same kind of thing? Those really make adding the winners into the hall of fame more of a chore than it needs to be.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I knew I'd probably lose some playability points this go around, I felt it had a kind of Norfair-like sense of "NOPE you can't get in here" last second brawling which could be hella fun

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Very very good batch of stages this round! Didn't take a part in this one bc I couldn't really think of anything, and splat pretty much knocked it out of the park that anything I would try to put in would be inferior.

Luminario

Smash Lord
lmao the Sunny Cloud was my downfall? I changed it last minute from changing the centre to a soft platform that goes up and down slowly cause I thought it was too boring. Though even with that I probably couldn't stand up to splat's stage.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 25!

Winning the Poll at 8 votes, Round 25 is............

Nintendo Gamecube

The system that, among many other things, gave us the most popular controller for Smash Bros. With the exception of licensed games, any game that was on this system is eligible.

Port from another system? Check (Just make sure it's based on the Gamecube version)

Multi-platform game? Check

Gamecube entry in a series that started on an older system? Check

A stage based on the system itself? Well, technically check. But only if it's based on something official. I want to keep this plausible so no stages based on fan-made mods.

And with that, on July 30th 2018, Round 25 has begun. You have until Friday, August 3rd to submit entries.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
No way in hell I win this round. But I absolutely couldn't pass up the opportunity to rep one of the best underexposed games on this system.

The Khallos Express
(Timesplitters: Future Perfect)

In the third (And best… and unfortunately, currently last) game in the Timesplitters series, Sgt. Cortez seeks to end the war with the Timesplitter Hordes before it even begins by jumping through time. Two of the many memorable missions from this game takes place in psychedelic 1969, where Cortez meets up with Bond-knockoff Harry Tipper to track bad-guy Jacob Crowe and his business partner/Blowfeld-knockoff Khallos.

In the mission, “The Khallos Express,” Khallos has kidnapped Harry Tipper’s girl, Kitten Celeste, and has tied her to the train tracks. He intends to let her get run over by his train, which is carrying a big nuke that can start WW3. Cortez and Tipper jump through wormholes and mow through a seemingly endless wave of henchmen to stop Khallos and Crowe, including teaming up with this past/future selves (separately) and taking down a big helicopter.

This stage takes place near the engine of the train, but with two passenger cars on either side of a wall-less freight car. There are crates set on the freight car that are additional platforms, and ladders up to the top of either passenger cars. That’s pretty simple for about 25 seconds of combat- the train constantly moving fast on the tracks. Please note though that you have no way to hit the track here- this stage is nothing but platforms, with walk-offs on either side.
After the 25 seconds, a chopper appears.

It’s Khallos, in his helicopter! (Shut up, I know that’s Scribblenauts resources but I got lazy!)

Khallos will use the mounted gun in his chopper to fire down at the central car! His bullets will act kind of like Fox or Bayonetta’s bullets, dealing damage without knockback. The bullets will, however, destroy a crate or two, changing the landscape for the rest of the match.

You can destroy the chopper by dealing 40% damage to it, or… just wait ten seconds.

After ten seconds of chopper assault, a train on the other set of tracks next to the Khallos Express will ride up alongside it, with Sgt Cortez and Harry Tipper up top! They’ll use their heatseeking rocket launcher to take down the chopper, and then be on their merry way. The map goes back to normal (Minus a crate or so) until another chopper shows up again later to begin the process again. The train on the second set of tracks is in the background, it is not an additional platform to fight on.

The crates won’t reappear after they’re destroyed, but each one will contain some of the food item that restores a little HP.

Now, you might be wondering why I’d pick Timesplitters of all games for the Gamecube round.

A valid question. Honestly, it’s one of my favorite FPS games of all time, a genre I generally stay away from. I had a lot of fun playing this game in my early teens with my friend Josh, co-op was amazing and the ex-Rare devs who made it were really good. I’m shocked that we have never gotten a sequel after this (I know it wrapped up the plot but… it’s worthy of more games). I even made it one of the first games we played on my Let’s Play channel. And sure, it hasn’t aged all that great, but it was still nearish the beginning of the FPS revolution where they were still figuring out the best controls for the genre. And since I didn’t think I’d get another chance besides maybe a second 3rd-Party round (Which I’d probably lose points for doing), this game is important to that generation of consoles- It (Or TS2) is often one of the recommended games for people starting a Gamecube collection. It’s one of the more popular 3rd party games for the console (Though not overall for Nintendo in general) so I thought this was the perfect round for this game to make its debut. I might still take some heat (And likely lose iconic points) but it’s worth it.

Music:
Khallos Express: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2STTajOZtcU
Khallos Express Helicopter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VWq0KzuteU
The Russian Connection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SRV_9-S_5E
Siberia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvqAM2HCH0
Breaking And Entering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVonUBgQBog
Disco A Gogo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlT_8GbTQfo
Disco Train (DKC2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4SigYFVA98
(Those last two in some kind of glorious mashup would be even better, I’ve wished for it forever)

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
No way in hell I win this round. But I absolutely couldn't pass up the opportunity to rep one of the best underexposed games on this system.

The Khallos Express
(Timesplitters: Future Perfect)

In the third (And best… and unfortunately, currently last) game in the Timesplitters series, Sgt. Cortez seeks to end the war with the Timesplitter Hordes before it even begins by jumping through time. Two of the many memorable missions from this game takes place in psychedelic 1969, where Cortez meets up with Bond-knockoff Harry Tipper to track bad-guy Jacob Crowe and his business partner/Blowfeld-knockoff Khallos.

In the mission, “The Khallos Express,” Khallos has kidnapped Harry Tipper’s girl, Kitten Celeste, and has tied her to the train tracks. He intends to let her get run over by his train, which is carrying a big nuke that can start WW3. Cortez and Tipper jump through wormholes and mow through a seemingly endless wave of henchmen to stop Khallos and Crowe, including teaming up with this past/future selves (separately) and taking down a big helicopter.

This stage takes place near the engine of the train, but with two passenger cars on either side of a wall-less freight car. There are crates set on the freight car that are additional platforms, and ladders up to the top of either passenger cars. That’s pretty simple for about 25 seconds of combat- the train constantly moving fast on the tracks. Please note though that you have no way to hit the track here- this stage is nothing but platforms, with walk-offs on either side.
After the 25 seconds, a chopper appears.

It’s Khallos, in his helicopter! (Shut up, I know that’s Scribblenauts resources but I got lazy!)

Khallos will use the mounted gun in his chopper to fire down at the central car! His bullets will act kind of like Fox or Bayonetta’s bullets, dealing damage without knockback. The bullets will, however, destroy a crate or two, changing the landscape for the rest of the match.

You can destroy the chopper by dealing 40% damage to it, or… just wait ten seconds.

After ten seconds of chopper assault, a train on the other set of tracks next to the Khallos Express will ride up alongside it, with Sgt Cortez and Harry Tipper up top! They’ll use their heatseeking rocket launcher to take down the chopper, and then be on their merry way. The map goes back to normal (Minus a crate or so) until another chopper shows up again later to begin the process again. The train on the second set of tracks is in the background, it is not an additional platform to fight on.

The crates won’t reappear after they’re destroyed, but each one will contain some of the food item that restores a little HP.

Now, you might be wondering why I’d pick Timesplitters of all games for the Gamecube round.

A valid question. Honestly, it’s one of my favorite FPS games of all time, a genre I generally stay away from. I had a lot of fun playing this game in my early teens with my friend Josh, co-op was amazing and the ex-Rare devs who made it were really good. I’m shocked that we have never gotten a sequel after this (I know it wrapped up the plot but… it’s worthy of more games). I even made it one of the first games we played on my Let’s Play channel. And sure, it hasn’t aged all that great, but it was still nearish the beginning of the FPS revolution where they were still figuring out the best controls for the genre. And since I didn’t think I’d get another chance besides maybe a second 3rd-Party round (Which I’d probably lose points for doing), this game is important to that generation of consoles- It (Or TS2) is often one of the recommended games for people starting a Gamecube collection. It’s one of the more popular 3rd party games for the console (Though not overall for Nintendo in general) so I thought this was the perfect round for this game to make its debut. I might still take some heat (And likely lose iconic points) but it’s worth it.

Music:
Khallos Express: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2STTajOZtcU
Khallos Express Helicopter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VWq0KzuteU
The Russian Connection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SRV_9-S_5E
Siberia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvqAM2HCH0
Breaking And Entering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVonUBgQBog
Disco A Gogo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlT_8GbTQfo
Disco Train (DKC2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4SigYFVA98
(Those last two in some kind of glorious mashup would be even better, I’ve wished for it forever)
Love the scribblenauts Helicopter xD

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Although the GolisoPower ranked last place with his Booksquirm stage, he shed not a tear over this. He wasn’t going to let a stage like this stop him. No, he was determined! He turned to his fellow competitor splat and gave his congratulations for winning before heading back and searching for a new stage for the next round.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Although the GolisoPower ranked last place with his Booksquirm stage, he shed not a tear over this. He wasn’t going to let a stage like this stop him. No, he was determined! He turned to his fellow competitor splat and gave his congratulations for winning before heading back and searching for a new stage for the next round.
Clap Clap. Emotional. I'm touched.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Truly the greatest story ever told - powerful, evocative, gripping. Forget Shakespeare and Fitzgerald, this is the kind of quality story we should be teaching about in schools.

D

Deleted member

Poll for Round 26 has been up for a while. Taking the place of Gamecube Stages is Shantae Stages.

The Hair-whipping, belly dancing, Half-Genie Hero from the Indie Game series of the same name. You've likely at least heard her name in smash speculation. Indie Character Wise, Shovel Knight is really her only competition in terms of fan demand.

Speaking of the series' indie status though, I need some contestant input.

Despite the wealth of stage potential and the popularity as an Indie character idea, I am a little concerned that this kind of round would have too few people interested in it, which would lead to it being a stagnant round.

And Shantae's not the only one like that. Castlevania has yet to get a single vote in any of the polls it's been in. And while Final Fantasy has gotten votes, it's been a pretty small amount overall. Which kind of says something considering how long it's been in the polls.

Long story short:

Final Fantasy
Castlevania
Shantae

I need you guys to reply saying whether or not you've got something for any of these rounds if I get enough replies saying yes, then I'll keep them around. Otherwise I'll have to replace them with something else.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Poll for Round 26 has been up for a while. Taking the place of Gamecube Stages is Shantae Stages.

The Hair-whipping, belly dancing, Half-Genie Hero from the Indie Game series of the same name. You've likely at least heard her name in smash speculation. Indie Character Wise, Shovel Knight is really her only competition in terms of fan demand.

Despite the wealth of stage potential and the popularity as an Indie character idea, I am a little concerned that this kind of round would have too few people interested in it, which would lead to it being a stagnant round.

And Shantae's not the only one like that. Castlevania has yet to get a single vote in any of the polls it's been in. And while Final Fantasy has gotten votes, it's been a pretty small amount overall. Which kind of says something considering how long it's been in the polls.

Long story short:

Final Fantasy
Castlevania
Shantae

I need you guys to reply saying whether or not you've got something for any of these rounds if I get enough replies saying yes, then I'll keep them around. Otherwise I'll have to replace them with something else.
I've been hoping for some time that Castlevania wouldn't win because I have no ideas. I started the one that's on the SNES classic to get ideas but I really hated that experience lol

I've got an FF stage ready to go- but if that round is killed I can use it for a different round, I think. I think FF hasn't gotten a lot of votes because the games that were on Nintendo consoles are generally not the popular ones. I bet it'd get more interest if it was open to all FF games.

Don't have one for Shantae but not as intimidated by it as I am by Castlevania.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think FF hasn't gotten a lot of votes because the games that were on Nintendo consoles are generally not the popular ones. I bet it'd get more interest if it was open to all FF games.
That round is already open to all Final Fantasy games. It never once wasn't.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313

Long story short:

Final Fantasy
Castlevania
Shantae

I mean, I do have one for the Final Fantasy round, but...

Well, I shouldn't need to say the problem here, right?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, I do have one for the Final Fantasy round, but...

Well, I shouldn't need to say the problem here, right?
Yeah, you don't need to. Which is probably a good thing. If you did say what the problem was........

.......I get the feeling that people might get a little, JUDGE-mental about it.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Long story short:

Final Fantasy
Castlevania
Shantae

Sorry, but I don't know enough about those series to make a decent stage.

Luminario

Smash Lord

Long story short:

Final Fantasy
Castlevania
Shantae

I got a FF stage that I was gonna do for this round if I ever got the motivation to actually make it, and I could probably come up with a Shantae stage pretty easily. I got nothing for Castlevania, never played it once nor have I really wanted to.
So yes to Final Fantasy and Shantae, no to Castlevania.

splat

Smash Lord

[...]

Like the others have mentioned, I don't really know what I'd do for either of these series. I mean, I might be able to whip something up after some research, though I'd rather try some other rounds.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ghost_Portrificationizer.png

(Yes, the girl is Saber from the Fate/stay night visual novel series of video games. Crazy, I know.)

Stage Name:
Ghost Portrificationizer

Origin:
Luigi's Mansion

Gimmicks and Hazards:
Portrification process

Description:
Ah, psb! Cosmic! Marioaddict! Cotton! You're all just in time to witness my latest stage invention! Thanks to some negotiations with Professor E. Gadd, I've acquired the stage rights for his latest invention, the Ghost Portrificationizer! *Slaps the machine* This bad boy can portrify so many ghosts! That is because that was what Luigi and E Gadd had used to turn boss ghosts into portraits in the original Luigi's Mansion game! I went to making modifications to the machine so that I may create a chasis for the purpose of additional platforms and launch freedom! After hours of wearing the ol' thinking cap, I managed to make the hazard the process of turning ghosts into portraits! Every 90 seconds, E. Gadd will go the platform on the far left and empty ghosts from the Poltergust into it! The process of turning ghosts into paintings takes about 30 seconds, but when the machine becomes active, many things happen! For one the central platform becomes a conveyor belt, and by my calculations I believe it will go as fast as Mewtwo's walk speed! While that's happening, the bunch of ghosts will go to the bright yellow platform, which will flatten the ghosts and deal 5% damage to anyone underneath while burying them on impact! Then the flattened ghosts will go to the dark grey platform next to it to be printed onto paper! After hours of applying the right parts, I've decided that it deals 7% damage and also deals about 1.5 seconds of hitstun! When the process is complete, E. Gadd will take the painting and walk off with it, and he will return after another 90 seconds! I tell ya, this is a beauty, a modern marvel in Smash Stage engineering! And I hope you kind folks see it that way as well!

Unlockable:
No.

Music:
Catching Ghosts (Luigi's Mansion)
Catching Ghosts (Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon)
Luigi's Mansion Medley
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon Medley
Chauncey Battle Theme (Luigi's Mansion)
Giant Knight Battle (Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon)
King Boo Battle (Luigi's Mansion)
King Boo Battle (Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon)

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, I don't think I'll be able to grade the Stages this round because I'll be on Vacation at Atlanta. sorry.

Edit: Ok nevermind, Our parents just said we're cancelling the trip because we are getting a cat. That was quick xD I do kinda need a break though, So i will be absent for this round

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
I was going to skip it as the concept I was planning was mentioned by ShadowTheHedgehogZ so I felt a bit bummed - but a bit of a crazy idea struck me, so here we go anyway!

Featured in both Gamecube Pokémon games, Colosseum and XD, is Mt. Battle, my entry for the round.

MountBattleLogo.png

Each of these logos features the series icon in some way, have you noticed?

MountBattle1.png

Just like in the source games, you'll duke it out a large, circular platform floating around a large volcano.
As seen above, the stage features a single smaller platform hovering above the main platform. That's it. Nothing else. No hazards. The main focus is battling, it isn't called Mount Battle for nothing!

"But...", I hear you think, "that's a bit of a dull entry, isn't it?"

What if I tell you that this stage is indeed the blandest one I made thus far - but also the one that may just be the most bat**** insane?
Why? Because the following three are also possible stages for you to fight on.

MountBattle2.png

I can hear your mental gears spin. No, it's not random. Instead, it makes perfect sense. Why? Well... let's take a closer look at the first image.

MountBattle3.png

Yes, Mount Battle changes its layout based on your foe!​

Pokémon battles are different as each trainer has slightly different Pokémon - so why not make these battles different by slightly change the conditions, too? I mean, we're not quite close to 100 fighters just yet (so a true 100 battle challenge isn't possible just yet), but at 65+ fighters (not counting Echoes and Pokémon Trainer as 3 individual characters), we're getting close. But how on earth could be get so many different lay-outs? I found the answer in binary. I've made stages for 75 fighters, which I feel should be enough for Ultimate.

MtBattleLayouts.png

Yes, you're seeing that right: there's even additional lay-outs for Omega mode and Battlefield mode! That's 77 versions!

This stage is my loveletter to both Smash and the GCN Pokémon games. So why end there? In the source games, the backdrop changes as you climb the volcano. You start off in a rocky area, through a rugged, firey wall, up into the sky until you make it to the heart of the volcano. Likewise, in this stage the background changes as you traverse Smash games. Which means:

Smash 64 = Mountain
Melee = Fiey rock wall
Brawl = Mountain peaks
Smash 4 Base = Clouds
Smash 4 DLC = Mountain
Ultimate = Volcano

MtBattleLayouts2.png

Music
Mt. Battle - Pokémon Colosseum / XD
Semifinal Battle - Pokémon Colosseum
Boss Battle - Pokémon XD
Miror B. Battle - Pokémon XD
Final Battle - Pokémon Battle Revolution
The Under - Pokémon Colosseum
Battle Royale - Pokémon Rumble

Notes
- Unlockable by winning 100 matches
- The stages takes the form of the last character, which should give TO's some more flexibility, too!
- At the top of the stage, Ho-oh or Shadow Lugia may fly past
- Echoes get the same stage as their base
- Currently fit for 75 characters, but could easily be expanded upon
- In stages 32-63, even number have a moving middle platform for balance's sake: some characters might have issues reaching the higher platforms
- Stages 72-75 break the binary set for the stages past 64 and are instead 64-67 flipped horizontally. We might've gotten get some really odd lay-outs otherwise
- Some stages, like 3 and 10, might appear identical, but have different platform heights
- The slightly different platform layouts is referenced in the stage logo above both T's
- It was super rough to find source material - especially since my computer has some issues that stops me from looking at YouTube videos

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I was going to skip it as the concept I was planning was mentioned by ShadowTheHedgehogZ so I felt a bit bummed - but something a bit of a crazy idea struck me, so here we go anyway!

Featured in both Gamecube Pokémon games, Colosseum and XD, is Mt. Battle, my entry for the round.

View attachment 155220
Each of these logos features the series icon in some way, have you noticed?

View attachment 155222
Just like in the source games, you'll duke it out a large, circular platform floating around a large volcano.
As seen above, the stage features a single smaller platform hovering above the main platform. That's it. Nothing else. No hazards. The main focus is battling, it isn't called Mount Battle for nothing!

"But...", I hear you think, "that's a bit of a dull entry, isn't it?"

What if I tell you that this stage is indeed the blandest one I made thus far - but also the one that may just be the most bat**** insane?
Why? Because the following three are also possible stages for you to fight on.

I can hear your mental gears spin. No, it's not random. Instead, it makes perfect sense. Why? Well... let's take a closer look at the first image.

View attachment 155224
Yes, Mount Battle changes its layout based on your foe!​

Pokémon battles are different as each trainer has slightly different Pokémon - so why not make these battles different by slightly change the conditions, too? I mean, we're not quite close to 100 fighters just yet (so a true 100 battle challenge isn't possible just yet), but at 65+ fighters (not counting Echoes and Pokémon Trainer as 3 individual characters), we're getting close. But how on earth could be get so many different lay-outs? I found the answer in binary. I've made stages for 75 fighters, which I feel should be enough for Ultimate.

View attachment 155229

Yes, you're seeing that right: there's even additional lay-outs for Omega mode and Battlefield mode! That's 77 versions!

This stage is my loveletter to both Smash and the GCN Pokémon games. So why end there? In the source games, the backdrop changes as you climb the volcano. You start off in a rocky area, through a rugged, firey wall, up into the sky until you make it to the heart of the volcano. Likewise, in this stage the background changes as you traverse Smash games. Which means:

Smash 64 = Mountain
Melee = Fiey rock wall
Brawl = Mountain peaks
Smash 4 Base = Clouds
Smash 4 DLC = Mountain
Ultimate = Volcano

View attachment 155226

Music
Mt. Battle - Pokémon Colosseum / XD
Semifinal Battle - Pokémon Colosseum
Boss Battle - Pokémon XD
Miror B. Battle - Pokémon XD
Final Battle - Pokémon Battle Revolution
The Under - Pokémon Colosseum
Battle Royale - Pokémon Rumble

Notes
- Unlockable by winning 100 matches
- The stages takes the form of the last character, which should give TO's some more flexibility, too!
- At the top of the stage, Ho-oh or Shadow Lugia may fly past
- Echoes get the same stage as their base
- Currently fit for 75 characters, but could easily be expanded upon
- In stages 32-63, even number have a moving middle platform for balance's sake: some characters might have issues reaching the higher platforms
- Stages 72-75 break the binary set for the stages past 64 and are instead 64-67 flipped horizontally. We might've gotten get some really odd lay-outs otherwise
- Some stages, like 3 and 10, might appear identical, but have different platform heights
- The slightly different platform layouts is referenced in the stage logo above both T's
- It was super rough to find source material - especially since my computer has some issues that stops me from looking at YouTube videos
<3

It's kind of like the individually different layouts from the Subspace Great Maze! Though hella more of them. This is fresh 2 death good sir

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Been kinda quiet with this round. I wonder if school going back in session has anything to do with it?

Either that or you degenerates don't care about the beauty of Mario Dance Dance Revolution.

D

Deleted member

Been kinda quiet with this round. I wonder if school going back in session has anything to do with it?

Either that or you degenerates don't care about the beauty of Mario Dance Dance Revolution.
Says the guy who can't even get that game's name right ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Mario Kart: Double Dash
All-Cup Tour
Mario Kart: Double Dash is a Gamecube game, and the fourth in the series. The game is notable for it's double character mechanic, as well as the number of excellent courses. All-Cup Tour was an exclusive mode in this game that let you visit all 16 courses in one sitting.

In Smash Bros, it starts out in Peach Beach, representative of the Mushroom Cup. The layout is relatively simple, being a small island you with a tree on the right. A Cataquack may appear, if it attacks you you get flung into the air. It doesn't deal damage, but it has decent knockback and KOs at 160% and above. You swim on the sides of the platform instead of falling. 30 seconds into the match, the stage changes to the next portion of the stage that can already be seen in the distance: It's Daisy Cruiser!

Daisy Cruiser is a relatively large area, about twice the size of battlefield. It doesn't have any unique gimmicks, but the stage has a strange layout with a small lowered portion besides the main platform. About 30 seconds later, the Daisy Cruiser makes it to it's destination: Yoshi Circuit!

1533190376279.png
Yoshi Circuit from the star cup is here and accounted for. It has walkoffs and is at a similar scale to Battlefeild (The images are a rush job). There are two Pirahna Plants on the stage, they deal 5% with low knockback if they attack someone. Strong hits can defeat them and if both are absent the pipes can work like in Mushroom Kingdom 64. The last stage comes from the Special Cup: It's Dino Dino Jungle!

Dino Dino Jungle is a tropical part of the Special Cup. The stage takes place on a bridge that's somewhat to scale to what's seen in the picture. A giant dinosaur appears on the stage, and it's head functions as a platform! It's a "thick" platform, meaning you cant drop through it and you bounce off it if you get sent flying. 30 seconds later, you get sent back to Peach Beach and the cycle continues.

Notes: I should stop making these stages at 2:30 AM when I'm exhausted. Anyways, I never owned a Gamecube, so I was worried I wouldn't be able to make a stage this time around. Then I remembered the Retro Tracks in later games and a little bit of Double Dash knowledge and there we go.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Slightly related to this round too
but with the rules saying you can't resubmitting a stage you already made for this contest in a previous round
what about if you were to remake and submit your own stages off of the old stage contest from the Smash 4 days

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Slightly related to this round too
but with the rules saying you can't resubmitting a stage you already made for this contest in a previous round
what about if you were to remake and submit your own stages off of the old stage contest from the Smash 4 days
I've already asked about that one, that is acceptable

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Yeah it's a bit about school too. Another reason i need a break this round, gotta get back into the groove of skewl

Last edited:
Top Bottom