• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

D

Deleted member

Great Stage! Unfourtunatey, the round ended a few hours ago, so it probably wont be judged. The next round starts monday and it looks like it's going to be Mario Party, so maybe start preparing for that.

Also, for the crossover round are stages from actual Crossovers (Mario and Rabbids, PMD, Mario and Sonic, ETC) allowed?
I can't say for PMD until someone tells me what that acronym is supposed to stand for. As for the other two. No. The idea of the Crossover round is to get separate series to come together on one stage. Mario and Rabbids sticks to Mario Locations, and Mario & Sonic uses real life Olympic Locations a lot. When M&S does use Mario and Sonic locations, it's only from one or the other. Not both.

Mario's Crossover with the Rabbids and his team-up with Sonic are both allowed for the Smaller Mario Games Round, but not the Crossover Round.

There is one thing about the Mario & Sonic Part of that round that I would like to clarify though. That series uses a lot of real life olympic locations that, let's be real, would be so hard to get into Smash thanks to copyright trouble that I'm not going to allow that part of the M&S series. However a lot of the Dream Events use various locations from Mario Games and Sonic Games (sometimes winter-ified) and there are some original locations as well.

Events like Dream Snowball Fight and Snowball Scrimage use original locations. M&S 2010 and 2014 have Figure Skating shows with Mario and Sonic Settings. And the DS version of Mario & Sonic 2010 has an original story mode that is set in a new fictional world not seen in any Mario and Sonic game before or after (it's also got Snow Spirits that remind me so much of the Star Spirits from Paper Mario that it's.........actually quite amazing).

Those kinds of M&S locations are allowed. But for the levels that are pulled directly from other Mario and Sonic games, please try to add in some elements that make it very clear that they are based on Mario & Sonic's time at the olympics (that should be pretty easy with the winter olympics games since those cover the levels in snow).

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I can't say for PMD until someone tells me what that acronym is supposed to stand for. As for the other two. No. The idea of the Crossover round is to get separate series to come together on one stage. Mario and Rabbids sticks to Mario Locations, and Mario & Sonic uses real life Olympic Locations a lot. When M&S does use Mario and Sonic locations, it's only from one or the other. Not both.

Mario's Crossover with the Rabbids and his team-up with Sonic are both allowed for the Smaller Mario Games Round, but not the Crossover Round.

There is one thing about the Mario & Sonic Part of that round that I would like to clarify though. That series uses a lot of real life olympic locations that, let's be real, would be so hard to get into Smash thanks to copyright trouble that I'm not going to allow that part of the M&S series. However a lot of the Dream Events use various locations from Mario Games and Sonic Games (sometimes winter-ified) and there are some original locations as well.

Events like Dream Snowball Fight and Snowball Scrimage use original locations. M&S 2010 and 2014 have Figure Skating shows with Mario and Sonic Settings. And the DS version of Mario & Sonic 2010 has an original story mode that is set in a new fictional world not seen in any Mario and Sonic game before or after (it's also got Snow Spirits that remind me so much of the Star Spirits from Paper Mario that it's.........actually quite amazing).

Those kinds of M&S locations are allowed. But for the levels that are pulled directly from other Mario and Sonic games, please try to add in some elements that make it very clear that they are based on Mario & Sonic's time at the olympics (that should be pretty easy with the winter olympics games since those cover the levels in snow).
It stands for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and going by your description I'm going to assume no.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Am I missing how Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is a crossover game? I only played Blue and Darkness so if there's some mashup stuff happening later I gotta get in on that...

D

Deleted member

Am I missing how Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is a crossover game? I only played Blue and Darkness so if there's some mashup stuff happening later I gotta get in on that...
I was wondering if anyone else was confused about that. Never played it before but Mystery Dungeon really doesn't strike me as a crossover.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Mystery Dungeon is an obscure series that I think is Japan only. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is far more sucessful then the others (I think there were even Digimon/MD crossovers)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I was wondering if anyone else was confused about that. Never played it before but Mystery Dungeon really doesn't strike me as a crossover.
Dude you should definitely at least play the first game Red (GBA) or Blue (DS). I know people like Time/Darkness better but I never fell into that camp, mostly because you can't play as Cubone anymore and yeah I know Cubone was broken in the first game but...

anyway. I really like Blue Rescue Team a lot

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
That's because PMD completely overshadowed the game that pokemon originally crossed over with. The original Mystery Dungeon game was actually a Dragon Quest spinoff, released in Japan only in 1993. It continued like that for a while (spawning different versions with original characters), but then it crossed over with Pokemon in 2005, and the rest is history.

D

Deleted member

So Mystery Dungeon was it's own thing, and then when it decided to crossover with Pokemon it became so successful that the Pokemon brand completely took it over.

Gaming history is fascinating let me tell you.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I played Mystery Dungeon and I got a pre-owned Copy for a good price. Things were gettin' intense. and then my Cartridge stopped working.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
You guys ever look at the potential rounds... Think "Well I gotta do this game for THAT round," and then not figure out what to do for a long time until finally it just clicks and suddenly you're really excited for that round?

I'm still stoked for Mario Party but, that Gamecube round is gonna be lit

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
You guys ever look at the potential rounds... Think "Well I gotta do this game for THAT round," and then not figure out what to do for a long time until finally it just clicks and suddenly you're really excited for that round?

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

splat

Smash Lord

I just joined these contests so I can't really speak for many rounds, but as I'm a bit of a cheapskate I haven't played too many games - so it takes a fair bit of research for me to figure out what to do for many series. I mean, while the wiki can tell about certain locales, it doesn't really tell me much about the actual gameplay. So I guess I get that feeling for almost every round :p I had this feeling for this round as well as the Animal Crossing round (which I never finished as I ran late).

Mario Party is one of those series I haven't really played, but I do feel like I've got a wicked stage for it - so now I'm hoping it'll be picked, or I've done a lot of work for naught.

D

Deleted member

Round 23 grades will be done today. But it will be later than usual.

D

Deleted member

Man. I was not kidding when I said these wouldn't be until later. But at last, time for Round 23 grades!

psb123's grades:

The Qb Dimension by Kevandre Kevandre

Iconic Status: 3/5

A sad fate for a stage based on a series made the Kirby Developers really. But as interesting as I personally find the series, I don't think it did so hot overall worldwide. Now Japan I do believe has a case to argue against me with in that regard, seeing as how they released a physical collection of all 3 games that came with a Qb amiibo. But that was only released in Japan which is just one territory. So I stand by my 3.

Originality: 9/10

There is one tiny thing that prevents a full score in this category. But it's better explained in Playability. All in all though this is a very solid depiction of a Box Boy stage. Really feels like the puzzles and Qb running through to mess around with them was pulled straight from the source game.

Playability: 8/10

At first your image of the stage made me think it was like one of those big stages made in Brawl's stage builder by people who didn't no what they were doing and thought putting a bunch of block-offs and hard to reach areas was a good idea (spoiler: It wasn't. I can say so from experience). But upon examining it more carefully the size actually strikes me as being like that of Arena Ferox when it brings in some structures.

That saved you a hefty sum of points here. I do think things can be tweaked and moved around just a tad bit to make the stage more accessible (which is the thing that affected your originality score as well) but all in all this is a solid attempt.

Overall Score: 20/25

Night Walk by TKOWL TKOWL

Iconic Status: 4/5

You know now that I think about it, I think this may be the first time I'm giving a stage a high iconic score based solely off of Smash demand. A lot of people have been clamoring for a Rhythm Heaven character ever since the Gematsu leak and for a series known for it's mini-games rather than it's settings, I think that's enough to earn it a good score.

Originality: 10/10

My one and only concern I had here was the stage scrolling in the same way as Dream Land 3DS. But as far as I recall DL 3DS is the only stage so far to scroll like that. And since I don't like that stage due to its hefty amount of seal-offs for blast zones, I can let this slide.

Playability: 9/10

I have given scrolling stages that don't show a good amount of layouts a reduction in points before. But the reason for that is because there were other things about the stage that left me concerned that some un-shown layouts would cause issues in playability. As you can see this is an example of that, but a very small one. The lack of footing on the right side of the reference image is what lead to my concerns there.

Overall Score: 23/25

The Watchtower by splat splat

A very similar case as Rhythm Heaven to be honest. I would most certainly not claim that Dillon has as much demand to be in Smash (has he been shown as an assist trophy yet?) but Nintendo gave this series quite a push on the 3DS.

Can't really see a reason to take off any points here. Perhaps if Ultimogrock could attack from a distance but given how well this stage seems to mesh with the source material already I do have some doubt on if Ultimogrock interactions would allow that to remain. Plus they might cause too much interference with a fight given the stage's layout.

Speaking of which........

Playability: 6/10

You did say the explosions aren't very frequent but giving a more detailed time table might have saved you an extra point. Even so, those explosions look a little too large and powerful for a stage with this layout. If you kept the towers you already have while adding in some more footing that doesn't explode it would have been a big help for your stage. I won't lie though, I do get a giggle out of how it reminds me of the pre-Ultimate Sudden Death format :p

Elite Beat City by GolisoPower GolisoPower

Iconic Status: 2/5

This is another series where it hurts to give it such a low iconic score. But I do what I must. The series died after the DS era and the fact that it had a completely different identity in Japan doesn't do it any favors.

Using a specific kind of attack on a Rhythm circle to temporarily boost the power of that attack? Dude, that is brilliant.

As awesome of an idea as your Rhythm circle is, the fact of the matter remains that trying to land the right attack on it is made more difficult on a scrolling stage than it would be on a Stationary one.

Overall Score: 21/25

Concert Hall by PeridotGX PeridotGX

First of all I want to say that the break you were thinking of, while your call in the end, is not something I would do if I were you. In terms of making quality stages, it remains true for everyone that sometimes you don't do so hot, and sometimes you do.

And as your about to see, I think you've got a solid submission here.

10th best selling 3DS game. I pretty often forget that fact. Jokes on me for it though because I know that it got itself a decent fanbase through all those sales. It already got one stage in Smash. What's the harm in another?

The Tomodachi life stage currently in Smash, while appreciated for representing it's game, is a little on the bare bones side. This one adds a heck of a lot more flare.

Playability: 10/10

The stage adds more platforms for you to fight on. And none of them get in the way. No problems here.

Overall Score: 24/25

Cosmic77's grades:

"The Qb Dimension" by Kevandre:

The Qbby games aren't widely known, but it does have relevancy on its side. It also managed to get an amiibo in Japan, so that might slightly raise awareness of the series to people overseas interested in collecting amiibo.

The use of Qbby was superb. I feel like you really captured the essence of the series with this stage. Very satisfied with the unique layout you created as well.

Playability: 3/10

Sadly, your stage looks like it'll be more frustrating than Temple and Spear Pillar. Not having any passable platforms will make KOs extremely difficult, especially if cheap players want to camp by the door.

Overall Score: 16/25

"Night Walk" by TKOWL:

Ehh... Personally, I would've went with something else. Rhythm Heaven has a vast library of minigames available, and this is essentially the "credits minigame". I think there were better, more iconic options.

Originality: 5/10

What you came up with isn't bad by any means, but this is a Rhythm Heaven stage. Really would've liked to have seen a gimmick that got the players more involved in some type of rhythm game. Even if it was just for fun and had no effect on the battle, I feel like it would've done a much better job of representing the series.

Taking a single point off for the gaps where players could fall. Normally I would ignore them, but Night Walk has a lot of gaps.

Overall Score: 18/25

"The Watchtower" by splat:

Dillon's hasn't gotten as much attention as Nintendo would've liked, but the artstyle and Western theme make it stand out.

I like what you came up with. The gimmick is simple enough to not over-complicate things, but it still keeps battles fresh and exciting. I also feel like this stage does a fairly decent job of representing the Dillon franchise, so good job.

The Wild West is rough, and so are those explosions. There's plenty of opportunities for someone to get KO'd early.

Overall Score: 19/25

"Elite Beat City" by GolisoPower:

Not many people will remember the already niche EBA. A recent sequel to their game would be required if you wanted a higher score.

Originality: 8/10

I enjoyed the implementation of a rhythm game in your stage. It's totally unique to your stage, and it really emphasizes the theme of the EBA.

The layout, however, isn't too stellar. I really would've liked to have seen more variety with the buildings instead of the typical rectangular shape we always see.

Playability: 5/10

This is a scrolling stage with a heaping handful of narrow gaps where many characters would be unable to recover. If you had made fewer buildings with wider gaps, I definitely would've raised your score by a few points.

Overall Score: 15/25

"Concert Hall" by PeridotGX:

Iconic Status: 5/5

Tomodachi Life was a massive success, it's relevant, and it already has a stage in Ultimate. There's a good chance players will recognize this stage.

You didn't provide much detail, but you won me over with your concept. Fighting on the props during a musical performance sounds quirky enough to be a real stage in Smash. I also like how it goes through more than one phase and showcases the other parts of the show.

Everything looks fine to me. Nothing I feel the need to point out.

Overall Score: 24/25

TheMarioAddict's grades:

I'd like to apologize in advance for the "iconic" scores - I'm not well versed in many of Nintendo's smaller titles.

"The Qb Dimension" by Kevandre:

I do have a vague memory of this game existing, but that’s about all I have. That said, I think the game has a unique enough visual design to jog some memories, so I’ll give 2 points for this.

I think Qbby himself really saves you on this one - the platform arrangement itself is unique, as is the art style (it does look a bit like Pictochat, but that’s not your fault). Qbby himself is what really helps, though - a stage with a wall that moves around it is something I feel like we should have seen in Smash already at this point, but I looked around and couldn’t find any, as far as I could tell. The door is a pretty nice touch here, too! On top of that, it’s not often that you see a stage with no passable platforms whatsoever!

That said...

Playability: 4/10

I feel like this stage would be a bit of a clusterf*** to fight on. The lack of passable platforms means that KOs are gonna be pretty tricky to get, and some of the places Qbby can move to could make even getting to your opponent a bit of a chore (for instance: in Layout 3, look at the path Jigglypuff has to take to reach Ivysaur). More than that though, this stage seems absolutely ripe for caves of life and cheap camping - in particular, the area just behind the door feels like a spot players could camp a lot if they wanted to. Overall, I just see a lot of issues that would make me avoid this stage if it were in the game.

Overall Score: 14/25

"Night Walk" by TKOWL:

Rhythm Heaven is super iconic. I don’t personally know a lot about the series, so I’m unsure how iconic Night Walk specifically is, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Scrolling stages are nothing new (you even pointed out some yourself), but you’ve done something few of them seem to do - leave a lot of space below the platforms. That’s enough to give you a nice bump in originality compared to typical scrolling stages. That said, based off of the source game, it doesn’t seem like this setup would allow for much variety in the layouts, in the way other scrolling stages tend to do. I definitely like this better than other scrolling stages though, so good job with that!

If every position the stage can be in is similar to the one you pictured, then I see no problems with playability. I’m gonna take one point off though for that very tiny platform in the picture (assuming it’s not the only one in the stage) - I feel like that thing would be hell to try and land on.

Overall Score: 22/25

"The Watchtower" by splat:

I’m honestly unsure how successful/popular Dillon’s Rolling Western was, but I remember Nintendo making a big push for it when it came out, so I’ll give you a point above average for this.

Originality: 7/10

It’s not the most original stage I’ve ever seen (it feels a bit like a cross between Gerudo Valley and Find Mii, hazards and all), but you do enough different and pull just enough from the source series to put you a few points above average.

The layout is fine, but the explosions definitely knock a couple points off here. The explosions are telegraphed pretty well, though, and you say they don’t appear too frequently, so they don’t ruin the stage by any means. Still, I could see people hesitating to play on this stage because of those.

Overall Score: 19/25

"Elite Beat City" by GolisoPower:

Once again I’m unsure of how popular Elite Beat Agents actually was, but I don’t remember any kind of marketing push like with Dillon’s Rolling Western, so you get an iconic rating smack in the middle.

Like with TKOWL’s stage, scrolling stages are nothing new in Smash. But in contrast to his stage, you managed to take the mechanics of a rhythm game and work them into the stage, which feels like the kind of wacky thing that Sakurai would try when making a stage like this. It’s a very unique mechanic (for Smash, anyways) that’s interactive, relatively unobtrusive, and represents the source material very well. Well done!

And yet for all that originality in the mechanics, the stage itself kinda suffers in the playability department. And not even because of the rhythm mechanic (though I can see a few edge cases where it’d cause some concern), but more because of the platforms themselves. The multitudes of walled pits would favor anyone with a wall jump (not to mention absolutely ruin the Earthbound characters), and the randomized layout could result in tall walls pushing a character without much jump height (say, Little Mac) all the way to his doom, with nothing he could do about it. Still, it doesn’t look totally unplayable, and I could see myself messing around with some friends on this stage, so the score isn’t as low as it could be.

Overall Score: 18/25

"Concert Hall" by PeridotGX:

So I was only gonna give you a 4 since I actually knew a thing or two about this game, but then I read the statistics. Tomodachi Life was really the 10th best selling 3DS game? Like… damn. I knew it was popular, but that popular? Like… damn.

Originality: 5/10

So good stuff first: I like the idea of a musical going on in the background of the stage, and you do a decent amount of stuff to keep the platform layouts interesting (though I’m not fully sure I can tell where the platform is supposed to be on the Techno phase). That said, it all feels kind of… bland. I mean, not every stage has to have crazy over-the-top gimmicks and hazards to stand out and be original, but this stage just feels kind of done-before, and I can’t really put my finger on why. Still, there are unique elements for sure, so I’ll give you an average score.

I don’t see any playability issues here. Not much else to say, really.

Mr. Cotton's grades:

Kevandre’s “Qb Dimension”

Iconic Status: ⅘
It’s a fairly iconic 3DS title.

I wouldn’t have thought of a Qbby stage. And the gimmicks are very original.

Qbby is basically a constantly changing and moving platform, but it’s not to overpowered.

Score: 24/25

TKOWL’s “Night Walk”

A very popular franchise on Nintendo platforms.

Very original idea! How a side scroller should be done.

Nothing seems unfair!

Score: 25/25

Splat’s “The Watchtower”

It’s not the most iconic game. But it was a very popular 3DS title, so I’ll give you that.

It’s very unique, and I haven't seen a stage that focuses on explosives as it’s key mechanic. (Well, i guess Wrecking Crew...But you know what I mean.)

I can see the explosives messing up a match just a little bit, because every single fighter has to rendezvous over to the other platform, and it’s pretty tiny to fit all those fighters.

Score: 22/25

Goliso Power’s “Elite Beat City”

I have never heard of this in my life, but it’s probably popular...so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Very nice! I like the Rhythm Note System.

Not much to say. Nothing out of wack here.

Score: 24/25

Peridot GX’s “Concert Hall”

Practically everyone who doesn’t live under a Goron knows what this is.

I love this idea! Tomodachi life was really really fun. And this is not what i would’ve thought of. (I need those funky Mii backup dancers though.)

Very great stage! Everything is Balanced!

Score: 25/25

Total Scores:

Kevandre: 74 points

TKOWL: 88 points

splat: 80 points

GolisoPower: 78 points

PeridotGX: 93 points

The Winner is...........
Concert Hall by PeridotGX

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Wasn't expecting a win! Congrats to everyone else!

And I'm probably not taking a break. I had wanted to do more with the concept, so I was a little disappointed with how it came out. Looking back on this though, I've been too hard on myself.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Wasn't expecting a win! Congrats to everyone else!

And I'm probably not taking a break. I had wanted to do more with the concept, so I was a little disappointed with how it came out. Looking back on this though, I've been too hard on myself.
Tbh, i like your Tomodachi life stage more than the one we got. :p

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 24!

Winning the Poll at 8 votes. Round 24 is............

Mario Party

I don't think we need to worry about restrictions this time. There have been a lot of Mario Party games sure, but there's nothing that's too far out there to be ineligible for this round.

On peculiar thing I recently realized though is that while it's certainly possible to base a stage off of the various boards throughout the series, the Mini-Games themselves take you to a variety of locales as well. Just something to think about.

And with that. On July 23rd 2018, Round 24 has begun. You have until Friday, July 27th to submit entries.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Bowser’s Big Blast
(Mario Party 2/The Top 100)

Thinking long and hard about what to do for a Mario Party round… I debated trying to have a moving board, going through various minigames… and kind of kept hitting a wall. Then inspiration struck me- just find the best minigames and pick one. Chase a Warioware Gamer level rather than a Warioware Inc level.

So I picked Bowser’s Big Blast, which I think is one of the most memorable minigames from the OG trio of games. In addition to being super stressful, which might have some amount of sway as to why it’s so memorable…

Looking at the stage as it is, it is slightly innocuous. Two floating platforms on either side of the stage, with vertical walls blocking off the topmost platforms from the center. A center platform with many plungers sticking out of the ground. And one big ol’ Bowser head.

UPDATE: Most of the steel bars aren't jump or drop-thruable, they are perfectly solid. Only the top horizontal bars are passable up and down.

For the most part, you can battle on this stage without much concern, but if you go and step on any of the plungers…

Well, this time Wario was lucky. That plunger didn’t do anything other than making the Bowser head blow some smoke out of his nose.

During the animation for Bowser blowing smoke, the other plungers cannot be interacted with- they will stay standing as they are until all is returned to normal.

Let’s try again, Wario…

And….

BOOM!
You’ll notice that both Wario (Who was close to the explosion) and Luigi (Who was off to the side but NOT safe behind a wall like DK and Daisy) were launched and ultimately KO’d. This is the far most likely situation for them as it does provide significant knockback without a ton of room. So in the case of somebody setting off the bomb, you’ve got those four seconds to get the HELL out of dodge to behind the barriers.

And, if you’re already behind the barriers… There’s no reason to let your opponents be safe, is there? You can easily launch them yourself from right there as you’re near the edge of the screen, or just knock them down to an unsafe area for them to be explosion-chow. Up to you.

Following this explosion, the plungers will reset and a new Bowser Head will rise from the compartment in the floor, ready to be played with again.

I should also mention that the zoom in the above pictures is just for effect, not actually something that happens on the stage.

Unlockable: KO Bowser with a Bob-Omb item

Music:
That’s All of It (Mario Party 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Insr9tkXV_M
Going Somewhere (Mario Party 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU6dhP8Wuec
The Blue Skies Yonder (Mario Party 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hefbvew4g-0
Let’s Go Lightly (Mario Party): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdbVoIRqUx4
Bowser’s Theme (Mario Party): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8rZ3IZuQf0
Bowser Event (Mario Party 3): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6kZdssmR0A
Fighting Spirit (Mario Party 3): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZhG7Lyo5dI

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
Congratulations, PeridotGX PeridotGX !

Slightly disappointed I dropped so many points on playability since I felt the hazards were at least as telegraphed as Halberd's, which was Counterpick in Brawl. Oh well, guess I didn't explain properly -- but it doesn't bode too well for this entry. So let me put in a disclaimer first:

I mean, it's a Mario Party game. Any stage from this series should be wacky, hectic, and not necessarily made with balance in mind IMO. I'd say a Mario Party stage should be played in a casual setting, with a tonne of stocks or even time mode, with people just flying all over the shop - just as insane as a game of Mario Party. That being said, here's my entry for the month:

This stage does not represent a particular Mario Party game, but instead it attempts to tie in all of them together - barring the arcade games. That's a lot of Mario Parties, so bear with me - but let me explain how I want to put all these in one single, bite-sized package.

You start out at what perhaps is probably the blandest part of the stage: Mario Board from MP10. Not necessarily bland aesthetic-wise, but more so gameplay-wise.

As you can see, Mario Board is a flat walk-off stage - with a single little twist. After a couple of seconds, a Dice Block appears in the middle of the stage (which is already conveniently shown in the image above). Attack it to roll the dice and get the party started! For now, let's say you rolled a two.

The stage shows what you rolled, and one of the blue spaces pops out of the ground. As it rises, it also grows in size. You'd better hop on, because it won't be long before the Mario Board drops from the view.

Consider the stage a floating disk: you can fly out of the sides or the bottom, or fly under it to grab onto the other edge.

After a couple of seconds, it drops you off at the stage corresponding the number you rolled. You rolled a two, so you'll find yourself on top of Bumper Balls (level 2) from Mario Party 2!

This stage is super slippery and you cannot grab the ledges here, so you'd best watch yourself. Like the minigame, you'd prefer to stay on the stage - no matter how tricky that may be!

Just like on the Mario Board transition, a Dice Block appears after twenty seconds or so, waiting for someone to trigger it and let the blue space to carry you to another part of the stage. So what are the other parts? As you could see before, you can roll numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 9 with the featured Dice Block. Let's take a look at the first.

Bombs Away is a hectic game from Mario Party 1 where you stand on a tiny island, with one of Bowser's ships in the background shooting cannonballs at you.

If a cannonball hits the water around the stage, it gets tilted - and may send you flying if you're not cautious. Those things pack quite some punch! What makes it even worse, they may land on the island as well!

Getting hit by them deals some damage but also stuns you - leaving you vulnerable to a strong hit. It might be better to swim for a bit - though that also may make you vulnerable to hits from above. I guess there's no winning here. Getting splashed by a cannonball while you're in the water also sends you to a watery grave instantly, so be cautious when entering the water!

We already had number two, so let's skip to the remaining numbers.

While Bombs Away might have you go off the deep end, Tidal Toss features somewhat more shallow waters. You're around knee-deep, and can move around freely. The stage is mostly flat, except for a little boat drifting in the middle of the water. Isn't it super tempting to hop on it?

Whoa- that's quite the wake! While it doesn't deal any damage, it flings people hit by the wave out by quite a bit. It's not too hard to jump over it and try to make splash yourself, though!

The end zone of Paths of Peril from Mario Party 4 featured a flat, pillar-shaped area (or you noticing a pattern yet?), which now functions as our battleground. Like all other stages, it has just one little twist:

Lakitu's there to save the day if you drop off! No matter how hard you fall, our favorite cloud-man is there to pick you up. Who's ready for some insane offstage battles?

Sitting at the top of New Donk City's Statue of Mario (it only makes sense, right?) is Coney Island, an ice cream-inspired stage where scoops of ice cream drop out of the sky. That sounds like a dream, doesn't it? Unfortunately, if you try to have a brawl, you may pay just a little too little attention.

Plonk! If you get hit by a scoop, it gets stuck on top of your head. You'd be so disoriented, it slows you down by quite a margin. The scoops melt after a few seconds, but they also stack if you get hit once more. Just a few and you might be outrun by a crawling Jigglypuff. Speaking of which, can you imagine Jiggs with a couple of scoops of ice cream on her head? Makes me hungry just to think about it.

No Mario Party is complete without a lava level, and no party can is complete without party people. Luckily for us (and perhaps a bit precarious for them), there's Magma Mayhem to tick these two boxes. On this stage, Toad and Shy Guy run around a large platform held up above a lava lake. As their weight shifts around, so does the platform.

Going a bit too steep means you'll be sliding towards, or even off the end, of the platform. That's scary, isn't it? Though you could also use this to gimp a recovering foe -- though one thing might work even better:

Hitting the chain holding up the platform gives it a swing DK should be jealous of!

The stage switches continuously between these various locales, each lasting for around 20 to 30 seconds, depending on when you hit the Dice Block.

Music
I've 'only' featured 7 games directly (though I'd consider The Top 100 as featured as well, as all stages above are featured in that game, too! (With a minor exception of Bumper Balls using a level that isn't in the Top 100, but one that reflects the gameplay best.)) The rest of the games are featured through the music. Each transition only features a single song, but as you're swapping out songs as quickly as you're swapping out stages, that's nothing to fret about. As such, these are the songs used for each transition:
Notes
  1. In essence, this stage is similar to stages like Mario Circuit (Smash 4) and Mute City (Melee) in that a platform drops you off at particular locations. The locations just so happen to be various minigames, each with their own gimmicks.
  2. Each gimmick is kept as true to the source game as possible. I only added attacking the chain for Magma Mayhem as it might've been a bit bland otherwise, in comparison to the other locations.
  3. Not sure if it’s apparent from the selection, but each possible roll corresponds with a minigame from that particular Mario Party.
  4. Super Mario Party isn't represented yet.
  5. Despite not appearing the size it should be (or even too consistent between the various images), I feel like it should be a bit on the smaller size for that extra bit of hectic.
  6. Paths of Peril is the only stage that features the same music as it did in The Top 100.
  7. I debated on using Blue and Yellow Toad as the background characters for Magma Mayhem, but felt a regular Toad and Shy Guy work better with Nintendo's current character directions in mind (looking at you, Color Splash!)
  8. Other stage ideas I had were Hexagon Heat (MP 2, which I had trouble slotting in), Cliffside Crisis (MP 10, not in 100 and I deemed it too gimmicky), Ice Rink Risk and Snowball Summit (MP 3, but I settled on Bumper Balls as the snowy/slippery stage), Blame it on the Crane (MP 4, but I had trouble seeing it in a Smash environment) and Booksquirm (MP 4, same reason) among many others.
  9. I wanted to include Bumper Balls as a reference to this gif alone.
  10. Mario Party 6 was excluded from the Dice Block as I felt the games represented in 100 don't really translate well to Smash - but also as a means to show the weird Dice Blocks Mario Party so often uses.
TOn peculiar thing I recently realized though is that while it's certainly possible to base a stage off of the various boards throughout the series, the Mini-Games themselves take you to a variety of locales as well. Just something to think about.
Way ahead of ya ;)

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Congratulations, PeridotGX PeridotGX !

Slightly disappointed I dropped so many points on playability since I felt the hazards were at least as telegraphed as Halberd's, which was Counterpick in Brawl. Oh well, guess I didn't explain properly -- but it doesn't bode too well for this entry. So let me put in a disclaimer first:

I mean, it's a Mario Party game. Any stage from this series should be wacky, hectic, and not necessarily made with balance in mind IMO. I'd say a Mario Party stage should be played in a casual setting, with a tonne of stocks or even time mode, with people just flying all over the shop - just as insane as a game of Mario Party. That being said, here's my entry for the month:

This stage does not represent a particular Mario Party game, but instead it attempts to tie in all of them together - barring the arcade games. That's a lot of Mario Parties, so bear with me - but let me explain how I want to put all these in one single, bite-sized package.

You start out at what perhaps is probably the blandest part of the stage: Mario Board from MP10. Not necessarily bland aesthetic-wise, but more so gameplay-wise.

As you can see, Mario Board is a flat walk-off stage - with a single little twist. After a couple of seconds, a Dice Block appears in the middle of the stage (which is already conveniently shown in the image above). Attack it to roll the dice and get the party started! For now, let's say you rolled a two.

The stage shows what you rolled, and one of the blue spaces pops out of the ground. As it rises, it also grows in size. You'd better hop on, because it won't be long before the Mario Board drops from the view.

Consider the stage a floating disk: you can fly out of the sides or the bottom, or fly under it to grab onto the other edge.

After a couple of seconds, it drops you off at the stage corresponding the number you rolled. You rolled a two, so you'll find yourself on top of Bumper Balls (level 2) from Mario Party 2!

This stage is super slippery and you cannot grab the ledges here, so you'd best watch yourself. Like the minigame, you'd prefer to stay on the stage - no matter how tricky that may be!

Just like on the Mario Board transition, a Dice Block appears after twenty seconds or so, waiting for someone to trigger it and let the blue space to carry you to another part of the stage. So what are the other parts? As you could see before, you can roll numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 9 with the featured Dice Block. Let's take a look at the first.

Bombs Away is a hectic game from Mario Party 1 where you stand on a tiny island, with one of Bowser's ships in the background shooting cannonballs at you.

If a cannonball hits the water around the stage, it gets tilted - and may send you flying if you're not cautious. Those things pack quite some punch! What makes it even worse, they may land on the island as well!

Getting hit by them deals some damage but also stuns you - leaving you vulnerable to a strong hit. It might be better to swim for a bit - though that also may make you vulnerable to hits from above. I guess there's no winning here. Getting splashed by a cannonball while you're in the water also sends you to a watery grave instantly, so be cautious when entering the water!

We already had number two, so let's skip to the remaining numbers.

While Bombs Away might have you go off the deep end, Tidal Toss features somewhat more shallow waters. You're around knee-deep, and can move around freely. The stage is mostly flat, except for a little boat drifting in the middle of the water. Isn't it super tempting to hop on it?

Whoa- that's quite the wake! While it doesn't deal any damage, it flings people hit by the wave out by quite a bit. It's not too hard to jump over it and try to make splash yourself, though!

The end zone of Paths of Peril from Mario Party 4 featured a flat, pillar-shaped area (or you noticing a pattern yet?), which now functions as our battleground. Like all other stages, it has just one little twist:

Lakitu's there to save the day if you drop off! No matter how hard you fall, our favorite cloud-man is there to pick you up. Who's ready for some insane offstage battles?

Sitting at the top of New Donk City's Statue of Mario (it only makes sense, right?) is Coney Island, an ice cream-inspired stage where scoops of ice cream drop out of the sky. That sounds like a dream, doesn't it? Unfortunately, if you try to have a brawl, you may pay just a little too little attention.

Plonk! If you get hit by a scoop, it gets stuck on top of your head. You'd be so disoriented, it slows you down by quite a margin. The scoops melt after a few seconds, but they also stack if you get hit once more. Just a few and you might be outrun by a crawling Jigglypuff. Speaking of which, can you imagine Jiggs with a couple of scoops of ice cream on her head? Makes me hungry just to think about it.

No Mario Party is complete without a lava level, and no party can is complete without party people. Luckily for us (and perhaps a bit precarious for them), there's Magma Mayhem to tick these two boxes. On this stage, Toad and Shy Guy run around a large platform held up above a lava lake. As their weight shifts around, so does the platform.

Going a bit too steep means you'll be sliding towards, or even off the end, of the platform. That's scary, isn't it? Though you could also use this to gimp a recovering foe -- though one thing might work even better:

Hitting the chain holding up the platform gives it a swing DK should be jealous of!

The stage switches continuously between these various locales, each lasting for around 20 to 30 seconds, depending on when you hit the Dice Block.

Music
I've 'only' featured 7 games directly (though I'd consider The Top 100 as featured as well, as all stages above are featured in that game, too! (With a minor exception of Bumper Balls using a level that isn't in the Top 100, but one that reflects the gameplay best.)) The rest of the games are featured through the music. Each transition only features a single song, but as you're swapping out songs as quickly as you're swapping out stages, that's nothing to fret about. As such, these are the songs used for each transition:
Notes
  1. In essence, this stage is similar to stages like Mario Circuit (Smash 4) and Mute City (Melee) in that a platform drops you off at particular locations. The locations just so happen to be various minigames, each with their own gimmicks.
  2. Each gimmick is kept as true to the source game as possible. I only added attacking the chain for Magma Mayhem as it might've been a bit bland otherwise, in comparison to the other locations.
  3. Super Mario Party isn't represented yet.
  4. Despite not appearing the size it should be (or even too consistent between the various images), I feel like it should be a bit on the smaller size for that extra bit of hectic.
  5. Paths of Peril is the only stage that features the same music as it did in The Top 100.
  6. I debated on using Blue and Yellow Toad as the background characters for Magma Mayhem, but felt a regular Toad and Shy Guy work better with Nintendo's current character directions in mind (looking at you, Color Splash!)
  7. Other stage ideas I had were Hexagon Heat (MP 2, which I had trouble slotting in), Cliffside Crisis (MP 10, not in 100 and I deemed it too gimmicky), Ice Rink Risk and Snowball Summit (MP 3, but I settled on Bumper Balls as the snowy/slippery stage), Blame it on the Crane (MP 4, but I had trouble seeing it in a Smash environment) and Booksquirm (MP 4, same reason) among many others.
  8. I wanted to include Bumper Balls as a reference to this gif alone.
  9. Mario Party 6 was excluded from the Dice Block as I felt the games represented in 100 don't really translate well to Smash - but also as a means to show the weird Dice Blocks Mario Party so often uses.

Way ahead of ya ;)
Holy hell. This was like exactly my original idea, just more focusing on the first four games. I'm glad I didn't follow through with that plan because yours is way better

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Holy hell. This was like exactly my original idea, just more focusing on the first four games. I'm glad I didn't follow through with that plan because yours is way better
Haha same! I thought about maybe entering this round, and I had a similar idea with a dice block taking you to different parts of the board, but man splat executed the idea way better than I would have! :laugh:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Haha same! I thought about maybe entering this round, and I had a similar idea with a dice block taking you to different parts of the board, but man splat executed the idea way better than I would have! :laugh:
You should still join in, fam!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Booksquirm.png

Stage Name:
Booksquirm

Origin:
Mario Party 4

Gimmicks and Hazards:
Page-turning

Description:
Once upon a time, there was a Smashboards user named GolisoPower. One day, he found that the Smashboards Stage Contest had a Mario Party round, and he wanted to be part of it. So he searched far and wide for the perfect stage to use. Mario Party 9 and 10 were frowned upon by the community. The handheld Mario Party games he knew not how to adapt and he couldn’t use Super Mario Party; it wasn’t even out yet! Then, he saw it: Booksquirm, the most notable mini game of Mario Party 4, the earliest in the franchise his life came to know. So he shaped it in his mind until he found just the right form. It would have large book pages slowly turning in the background for twice as long as Cloud could fully charge his Limit Break, with holes of different shapes within to indicate where players should go should they avoid taking Skull Bash levels of power. Suns, stars and moons all around may be a saving grace for any warrior on the field of battle! And so, the determined GolisoPower went to present his stage to the judges. To see if he wins the round is a story only the judges may tell...

Unlockable:
No.

Music:
Mario Party Medley
Loud and Sweet (Mario Party 4)
Faster Than All (Mario Party 2)
Rainbow Castle (Mario Party 7)
Mario Party Island Tour Theme

Luminario

Smash Lord
Since creating the last stage was pretty fun, I decided to go for it again.
Rainbow Dream (Mario Party 5)
Rainbow_Dream_Party.jpg

A transition stage that goes though the 4 different lands of Rainbow Dream: Thunder cloud, Rain cloud, Sunny cloud, and Snow cloud. Each one has it's own setup and hazards. While the starting land is randomised, you travel through them in set order: Thunder-Rain-Sunny-Snow, with a single FD shape cloud as the transition platform. Each land has a single green ? space that lights up a few seconds into fighting on that particular world. Standing still on this space (as in not walking over it, but can be activated by being knocked to the ground on it) activates whatever the current land's hazard is. You hang around on a single land for about a minute. Once again my ****ty lines in Paint will show off the general concept of the stage.
Thunder Cloud
Rainbow Dream Thunder.PNG
Simple Battlefield layout with the side platforms smaller and the top platform bigger. Pressing the ? space activates thunderclouds that zap one of the floating platforms, Electrically charging it for about 10 second and making it damage any character that comes into contact with it.
Rain Cloud
Rainbow Dream Rain.PNG

The floating platforms should be lower, but you get the idea.
Slanted stage with 2 floating platforms that look like umbrellas in-game. To the left is a Cheep Cheep fountain that is right behind the stage. Pressing the ? makes it shoot out a constant stream of water for about 10 seconds that flows across the stage starting from the first slant, pushing everyone to the right. The only safe spaces during this are the platforms and all the way to the left where the ? space is,
Sunny Cloud.
Rainbow Dream Sunny.PNG
2 pieces of terrain, one slightly curved down and the other slightly curved up, with climbable vines each side. Pressing ? creates a rainbow behind the hard floating platform, which then suddenly drops after about 10 seconds, burying and dealing heavy damage to all fighters that get caught underneath it. After that the platform slowly floats up to retain it's original position.
Snow Cloud
Rainbow Dream Snow.PNG

The uneven terrain is just for show, it's just slight raises to the stage you can walk right over without being impeded.
This place has rather uneven terrain and multiple floating platforms, with a climbing vine connecting to the highest one. Pressing ? activates a blizzard that swirls around the tower on the right for around 20 seconds that engulfs all the right side platforms, dealing constant no-knockback damage to every fighter inside.

FD and Battlefield forms are both set in front of the Sunny cloud palace.

Music
Sky Presents (Mario Party 5)
Bowser's Dream (Mario Party 5)
Mario Party 5 Medley (with songs like Everybody Party and Ready.. OK and Nervous Tension)
Clockwork Castle (Mario Party 6)
Mini-game Tour (Mario Party 6)
Loud and Sweet (Mario Party 4)
Lip's Theme, just cause it suits the stage thematically.​

splat

Smash Lord
splat splat how are your stages so high quality, holy carp
Thanks! My dad works for Nintendo.

In regards to the option that's currently winning the poll: it was mentioned before that any non-licensed game launched on the Gamecube was eligible as well. Does that mean series didn't have to start on the console, but the stage should reflect the GCN game?

D

Deleted member

Thanks! My dad works for Nintendo.

In regards to the option that's currently winning the poll: it was mentioned before that any non-licensed game launched on the Gamecube was eligible as well. Does that mean series didn't have to start on the console, but the stage should reflect the GCN game?
With the exception of licensed games, any Gamecube game is eligible. Port from an older system, Multi-Platform game, Gamecube entry in a series that started on an earlier console, it's all allowed.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
With the exception of licensed games, any Gamecube game is eligible. Port from an older system, Multi-Platform game, Gamecube entry in a series that started on an earlier console, it's all allowed.
What if they made a stage off of the Gamecube itself like the Sonic Generations mod-Gamecube Galaxy

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
You mean the actual Gamecube console itself?

...Well, I guess it technically counts as a "Gamecube game". Nothing would fit in better in a Gamecube round than a literal Gamecube.
Maybe have the actual Gamecube as the main platform and have clips of Gamecube games going on in the background like Magnificent

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Mario Party DS
Fast Food Frenzy

contest24.png

Mario Party DS is a DS Mario Party game, and the last of the classic Hudson made games. In it, Fast Food frenzy is a 1 vs 3 minigame where one player has to knock 3 others off a conveyor belt.

In Smash Bros, the stage is about 80% the size of Battlefield, with no platforms initially. While the fighting takes place on a conveyor belt, the fighting arena doesn't fall off of the platform. Pretty much randomly, a piece of food appears on the conveyor belt that eventually acts as a platform once it reaches the fighting area. They stay neatly in the color areas. If one is one the side of the platform the ledge can be grabbed but you can only jump to get off of it.

• The French fries are very basic, basically being a first floor Battlefeild platform that cant be walked through. If stepped on 10 times, it disappears
  • The Milkshake is similar to the previous, but it goes as tall as a second floor battlefield platform. A strong attack like Warlock Punch or a fully charged Smash attack can destroy it.
  • The Hot dog is as tall as the French fries, but it takes up two portions (So 2/3 of the stage). It can be destroyed like how the Milkshake does, but it takes a little less.
  • The Pancakes have identical proportions to the Hot Dog. However, it has a sticky effect, so run speed and jump startup time is halved and doubled, respectively. it can be destroyed by both methods above
  • Lastly, the Yogurt has identical proportions to the French Fries. Most of the time it's harmless, but if an opponent gets hit into it, it deals 7% and freezes you. It can be destroyed by a strong attack.
Only one food item can be one colored portion of the stage, if another is going to appear the old one falls of. The hazard toggle makes it so a milkshake is always present in the center and nothing else spawns. Giant shy guys can walk by in the background. This stage is unlocked by when you unlock all the playable MPDS characters (Minus Waluigi and maybe Toad).

Song List

Another Crazy Match (Mario Party DS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv-FmEno3i0

Bouncing Around (Mario Party DS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSfeqjXaAGg

Boss Theme (Mario Party DS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSfeqjXaAGg

Kamek's Library (DS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR4IZRW_SFg

Toadette's Music Room (DS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EB35x2uOcs

DK's Stone Statue (DS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fNEj4tTbu8

Bowser's Pinball Machine (DS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qr9CGPZx7Q

Wiggler's Garden (Take a geuss)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ae_IEINgm8

Notes: Not expecting any iconicness points, that's for sure. I'm pretty nostalgic for Mario Party DS, so I knew I had to do something with the game for this round. I probably should've done a board, Todette's Music Room would've been great.

Anyways, figure I'd mention I've started posting my stages on other sites. Reception's been mostly positive, but everyone and their mother wonders why Dream Palace doesn't spawn Dream Friends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom