• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Yeesh. Did worse than my Mario Kart stage. :/

But congrats to splat splat for his Balloon Fight stage.
Just a piece of advice. But the main reason we took so many points off of your score was due to how complex and confusing the stage was.
Next time, be sure to keep it simple. This doesn't mean no hazards, just not anything too crazy.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Damn, I went overboard with the hazards. Can't do anything about the obscurity though :awesome:. Balloon Fight stage looks quality, I'd play on it.
But scrolling from right to left is, quite odd.
In Panel de Pon, Lip would run along the rainbow bridge going left to the next world, so I thought it would be nice to replicate that in the stage.
Also, I like the breakable snowman. Don't know if it has any effect, but I thought it was a nice touch.
Cosmic77 Cosmic77 I just thought they'd look cute. They're small walls you could break but can easily jump over and stand on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Time for Round 23!

Winning the poll at 10 votes (how the heck did it get such a boost! 0_0) round 23 is............

Misc. Nintendo Games 2

I got to say it's quite interesting that this ended up happening right after Retro Games 2. In that previous round we gave the smaller Nintendo Games from before the eras of the Nintendo 64 and Gameboy Advance a 2nd chance to shine. This round does the same thing with the smaller Nintendo games on the N64 and GBA and anything released afterward.

A few examples include:

Golden Sun
Fossil Fighters
The Wonderful 101
Chibi-Robo
Any games starring the Mii's

There are other games besides those that are eligible for this round but those examples give you a basic idea.

And with that, on July 16th 2018, Round 23 has begun. You have until Friday, July 20th to submit entries.

Good Luck!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The Qb Dimension
(BoxBoy!)

Admittedly, I haven’t played Boxboy. I was always interested in it, though, and I feel it’s prime potential for a Smash Bros stage, particularly given its HAL Labs origins.

Overall- the stage is pretty simple. There are five major platforms all over the stage, in each of the corners and the center. The bottom right platform has a dip with spikes in it- the spikes dealing minor damage and knock-up if you fall into them. The left side has a door that can be opened from the left side’s button. If one touches the button, it’ll stay open for ten seconds before closing again.

But the major gimmick of this stage is Qbby himself. He moves in a counter-clockwise circle, starting on the right side of the door. He moves around in the way he does, multiplying his box-size in multiple directions. One can sit on top of Qbby the whole time to get around the map without taking any damage, as well. Here are the many locations he’ll travel to with his different shapes and sizes.

That’s really it- a simple puzzle-platform stage. It is playable as an 8-player Smash stage as well. If Qbby walks into you, you don't take damage or anything, you'll just get pushed along.

Unlockable?: Nope

Last edited:

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
This round does the same thing with the smaller Nintendo games on the N64 and GBA and anything released afterward.
Query, would Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles count? The series has games on both old school platforms like NES but it also has GC, GBA and current gen console games. IDK if TMNT would fall under the category of "miscellaneous." Just BC it's a relatively sizable franchise and it's much more than just games i.e. movies, comics, cartoons etc.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Query, would Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles count? The series has games on both old school platforms like NES but it also has GC, GBA and current gen console games. IDK if TMNT would fall under the category of "miscellaneous." Just BC it's a relatively sizable franchise and it's much more than just games i.e. movies, comics, cartoons etc.
I'd say no. The current round is "Miscellaneous Nintendo Games". In order for the submission to count, it would have to be first or second-party (published by Nintendo).

TMNT would be something you could submit in a third-party round.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I don't believe TMNT Will count, sorry.

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Stage Name:
Night Walk

Game:
Rhythm Heaven

Description:

First debuting in the first game, Rhythm Tengoku for the GBA, Night Walk has the player in control of Play-Yan, a white stick figure who walks on his own on a path of endless white dots and gaps. Players need to tap A on the beat as he jumps along and creates flowers from the white dots, making sure that he doesn't fall down into the pits. As he goes along, more stars in the sky appear and things become much flashier, until he comes to the end of the song and flies away on a sparkler. Night Walk reappears in Rhythm Heaven Fever during the credits, where Marshal and the gang hop along the same road, with new dots that require the player to hold the button down then release. During this time, a cheesy pop song fit for any wacky rhythm game plays, and the scene will transition into a flowery field as Marshal and friends make their way to the baristra.

This is a scrolling stage, but not in the way some players might be expecting: rather than constantly moving left to right, the stage will start at a fixed, flat area, but either Play-Yan or Marshal will run along, popping the white dots into flowers or fireworks. Once they are done with the dots on screen, an indicator appears on the right of the screen, and the stage begins scrolling, before stopping on a new section of the road. This makes it similar to Dream Land from Smash 3DS, but with less chaotic layouts, and no giant borders obscuring the blast zones. The stage's blast zones can either be a walk-off or an edge, depending on where the scroll stops. Sometimes, there will be extremely tiny platforms to the rightmost spot, making it a contest to see who can dominate the righter blastzone so they can get the advantage when the stage scrolls. The stage scrolls happen every 20-30 seconds or so, and after five scrolls, the stage layout loops back to the beginning.

As stated before, the game will cycle between Play-Yan or Marshal running across the road, each bringing different animations with them: Play-Yan's popped panels will spawn flowers, while Marshal's will spawn fireworks. As the stages goes further on, smiling stars or fields of green might appeaer in the background, and it might even turn into daytime.

Unlockable?: No

Music:

Night Walk
Dreams of Our Generation (US)
Dreams of Our Generation (Japan)
Tengoku Remix Medley (combination of a bunch of the remixes from Rhythm Tengoku)
Space Dance
Gold Remix Medley (combination of a bunch of the remixes from Rhythm Heaven DS)
Tears of a Dog Ninja
Fever Remix Medley (combination of a bunch of the remixes from Rhythm Heaven Fever)
Flockstep
Megamix Remix Medley (combination of a bunch of the remixes from Rhythm Heaven Megamix)
Second Contact

please please please please PLEASE let there be a rhythm heaven character in ultimate

D

Deleted member

TMNT is not eligible for this contest period. Series that originated from video games only.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Wouldn't be opposed to a licensed game round, that said. Tmnt on Nes was the first game I ever played and Goldeneye is one of the most famous games of all time

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Wouldn't be opposed to a licensed game round, that said. Tmnt on Nes was the first game I ever played and Goldeneye is one of the most famous games of all time
That's actually a good idea. And that got me thinking...What if for a few rounds, we had fans inputs on the theme?
Thoughts, @psb123 Cosmic77 Cosmic77

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's actually a good idea. And that got me thinking...What if for a few rounds, we had fans inputs on the theme?
Thoughts, @psb123 Cosmic77 Cosmic77
I already have the remaining rounds planned out. Unless the contest go past the release date of Smash Ultimate I’m not taking anymore ideas.

D

Deleted member

You've probably already noticed by now, but the poll for Round 24 is up. Misc. Nintendo Games 2 has become round 23 and since Castlevania didn't get a single vote on the previous poll I'm having it take a back seat until the next one. So our 2 new voting options are Gamecube Stages and Gameboy Advance Stages.

Pretty easy to figure out I'll admit. Any non-licensed game that was on the Gamecube is allowed for the Gamecube Round. And any non-licensed game on the Gameboy Advance will be eligible for that round.

A few of the ideas I had planned when I thought this contest would go for 64 rounds were stages from games on every Nintendo system (except for the virtual boy). But when I realized my math was wrong I had to cut some ideas out and that only left room for 2 of these system rounds. I chose the Gamecube and the Gameboy Advance because I though they had the most appealing stage potential.

3rd party games are allowed for both of these rounds as long as they're from a series that started out as a video game series.

I also want to clear something up about Smaller Mario Games. I said earlier when asked what games count for that round that all the examples listed by splat other than Mario Party were allowed. But I didn't notice until later that the CDi Mario games were listed in those examples. So I need to clarify here that CDi games are not actually allowed for that round.

D

Deleted member

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, get your applause at the ready. For we now have a new judge to bring the total back up to 4.

Regulars among the contestants should know him well enough, so give a big hand to TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict as our 4th and final judge!

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Thank you, thank you!

Yeah, I've been getting a bit burnt out on actually making stages, so judging them ought to be a good change of pace!

I ain't going easy on anyone though, so you guys best be havin' some top quality stages or buddy boy I will rain down fire and fury politely written critiques on all of you.

Should be fun, I hope!

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Thank you, thank you!

Yeah, I've been getting a bit burnt out on actually making stages, so judging them ought to be a good change of pace!

I ain't going easy on anyone though, so you guys best be havin' some top quality stages or buddy boy I will rain down fire and fury politely written critiques on all of you.

Should be fun, I hope!
Congrats dude! Can't wait to judge with you!

splat

Smash Lord
Next time I decide to start work on something I'd better be sure that particular option wins the poll. Oh well, at least I have some work done next time it comes around!

Now, I'd like to introduce you to another interpretation of an existing game, this time coming from Dillon's Rolling Western:

DillonStageLogo.png

(I'm almost having as much fun making these little logos as I'm having with making the stages)

The Watchtower consists of two pillars next to each other: one towering mesa and, well, a watchtower. The former is raised ever so slightly compared to the latter, throwing it slightly off balance.

DillonStage1.png

In the background, you can see Riverford! No-- Cinchville? Rio Grande? How can you tell those villages apart?!
Whatever village it is, like all other villages in the Rolling Western this one keeps its people are safe with various watchtowers surrounging it. And for good reason, too, because sometimes--

DillonStage2.png

Ultimogrock appears!
Thankfully, the Watchtower boasts a large cannon, capable of blasting whatever is around it. But wait... We're on there! Is that even safe?

DillonStage3.png

Boom! The watchtower fires!
Great success: Ultimogrock is defeated! (And with it, Lucario. Guess it wasn't too safe!) But with that, the village returns to safety, while the stage returns to its usual layout. Though not for too long, because something might drop out of the sky!

DillonStage4.png

Is that a mecha-barrel? I thought they were quite a bit bigger!
Even if it's kind of small, it's nothing to scoff at. Because within a couple of seconds, it blows!

DillonStage5.png

Yet another explosion? Who knew the Rolling Western was such a blast?
While the explosions may not appear very frequently, they'll make sure to keep you on your toes. As such, you'll be constantly see-sawing main platforms. The side blast zones are quite large, so you'll have plenty of wiggle room!

Music
Notes
  1. Explosions should happen somewhat frequently, though not too much. You should be kept on your toes, but not constantly on the run. Which side explodes is random.
  2. I wanted to do a Dillon's Rolling Western stage, but as the game features mostly flat areas I had to a fair few liberties. (Also because I saw a DRW stage a long time ago that was flat and pretty wicked and didn't feel like I could top it.)
  3. For those into DRW: technically not a watch tower, but a cannon tower. I just liked the name!
  4. I had to build the picture up from the ground as I couldn't find images that fit my vision and a somewhat Nintendo-y style.
  5. The difference in platform height is an attempt at stopping people from camping.
  6. Like all three my previous stages: the images may not be up to scale, but the images show what I meant pretty well.
  7. Can be unlocked after an event where you beat Mega Man on this stage. It makes more sense in Japanese, I guess.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Next time I decide to start work on something I'd better be sure that particular option wins the poll. Oh well, at least I have some work done next time it comes around!

Now, I'd like to introduce you to another interpretation of an existing game, this time coming from Dillon's Rolling Western:

View attachment 153523
(I'm almost having as much fun making these little logo's as I'm having with making the stages)

The Watchtower consists of two pillars next to each other: one towering mesa and, well, a watchtower. The former is raised ever so slightly compared to the latter, throwing it slightly off balance.

View attachment 153525
In the background, you can see Riverford! No-- Cinchville? Rio Grande? How can you tell those villages apart?!
Whatever village it is, like all other villages in the Rolling Western this one keeps its people are safe with various watchtowers surrounging it. And for good reason, too, because sometimes--

View attachment 153526
Ultimogrock appears!
Thankfully, the Watchtower boasts a large cannon, capable of blasting whatever is around it. But wait... We're on there! Is that even safe?

View attachment 153528
Boom! The watchtower fires!
Great success: Ultimogrock is defeated! (And with it, Lucario. Guess it wasn't too safe!) But with that, the village returns to safety, while the stage returns to its usual layout. Though not for too long, because something might drop out of the sky!

View attachment 153529
Is that a mecha-barrel? I thought they were quite a bit bigger!
Even if it's kind of small, it's nothing to scoff at. Because within a couple of seconds, it blows!

View attachment 153530
Yet another explosion? Who knew the Rolling Western was such a blast?
While the explosions may not appear very frequently, they'll make sure to keep you on your toes. As such, you'll be constantly see-sawing main platforms. The side blast zones are quite large, so you'll have plenty of wiggle room!

Music
Notes
  1. I wanted to do a Dillon's Rolling Western stage, but as the game features mostly flat areas I had to a fair few liberties.
  2. For those into DRW: technically not a watch tower, but a cannon tower. I just liked the name!
  3. I had to build the entire picture up from the ground as I couldn't find images that fit my vision and a somewhat Nintendo-y style.
  4. Like all three my previous stages: the images may not be up to scale, but the images show what I meant pretty well.
  5. Can be unlocked after an event where you beat Mega Man on this stage. It makes more sense in Japanese, I guess.
You and TKOWL TKOWL put my actual design skills to shame

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Nah man, I love how creative your stages are. You won so many rounds for a good reason!
I was more referring to you guys' presentation. I mostly just work with quick vector pen tooling in Illustrator but you guys make yours look amazing

splat

Smash Lord
I was more referring to you guys' presentation. I mostly just work with quick vector pen tooling in Illustrator but you guys make yours look amazing
I think your prestentation works really well. Your drawings are really legible, show what the stage is about an leave enough room for people to visualize it.

My main issue with doing some more detailed stages is that people can really dislike a certain part and dislike the entire thing as a result (for example, I dislike how different the wood looks compared to the official game, which makes me dislike the whole left part of my stage).

I tend to work with Photoshop's Shape Tool, but twist existing shapes to my liking and plonk a whole load of clipping (usually textures from Google and gradients) and layer masks on top of it. The towering mesa on my DRW stage is two oval shapes and a rectangle turned into a trapezium:

DillonBTS.png

You think yours look bad in comparison? I make my stages in MS Paint.
I kind of want to try for the next round now, too.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think your prestentation works really well. Your drawings are really legible, show what the stage is about an leave enough room for people to visualize it.

My main issue with doing some more detailed stages is that people can really dislike a certain part and dislike the entire thing as a result (for example, I dislike how different the wood looks compared to the official game, which makes me dislike the whole left part of my stage).

I tend to work with Photoshop's Shape Tool, but twist existing shapes to my liking and plonk a whole load of clipping (usually textures from Google and gradients) and layer masks on top of it. The towering mesa on my DRW stage is two oval shapes and a rectangle turned into a trapezium:

I kind of want to try for the next round now, too.
That works. In the first contest I did a lot of stages in Photoshop, but since then I've fallen in love with Illustrator. Doing in Photoshop is suddenly a lot harder for me lol, though I have a couple times in this one

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Elite_Beat_City.png

Stage Name:
Elite Beat City

Origin:
Elite Beat Agents

Gimmicks and Hazards:
Rhythm icons, scrolling

Description:
Alright everyone, let's get funky down in Elite Beat City! This is a scrolling stage where the platforms are of all different shapes and sizes. The stage's gimmick this time around is seen in that blue icon on the top: a rhythm icon. When that appears, a white ring will appear and close in on the icon. Land an attack the icon is sporting and that attack is given bonus damage by 1.25x. Take for example the one on the screen with the letter B and a horizontal arrow. This means if you land a Side-B at the right moment, the Side-B will do more damage. Sometimes, a rail will appear before the icon that's swerving around. This means that any movement of any kind will increase the bonus damage by .05x. Each icon appears every 2 seconds sporting random attacks. The stage itself scrolls slower than Pac-Land but faster than Mushroom Kingdom. The windows displayed here serve as measurement in this particular case. These buildings are between 5 windows tall and 5 windows wide.

Unlockable:
No.

Music:
Elite Beat Agents Medley
I Was Born To Love You (Elite Beat Agents)
Jumping Jack Flash (Elite Beat Agents)
You're The Inspiration (Elite Beat Agents)
Highway Star (Elite Beat Agents)
Rock This Town (Elite Beat Agents)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Tomodachi Life
Concert Hall

Contest23.png

Tomodachi Life is a 3DS game, and the 10th best selling game on the system. The Concert Hall is a place in the game where you can make Miis sing songs using 8 templates, 3 of which appear in SSB. The base form of the stage has no platforms, basically like an Omega form. About 10 seconds in it changes to one of the layouts. The first I'll talk about is the Ballad mode.
In the Ballad form, a floating platform goes around the stage randomly. It's about 1.5x the size of a Battlefield platform. About 30 seconds into the match, it transitions into another phase. The one I'll talk about next is the Musical.
musical.PNG
In the Musical portion of the stage, there are two houses on the far side of the stage. The house can be stood on or in front of. The other parts of the stage, such as the ladder and table, are purely cosmetic. The final portion of the stage is the Techno phase
1532066667834.png
While the Musical phase has outer platforms, this portion of the stage has inner platforms. You can stand on the center instruments. They're higher up than in Tomodachi Life.

You unlock this stage by getting all of the songs on the other Tomodachi Life stage. The screen in the background acts like the ones in the Pokémon Stadiums and Boxing Ring. The hazardless version doesn't rotate.

Song List

Stage Song Melody
(uses the 3 default songs that are used on the stage. Lyrics depend on region, because appearantly US and PAL have different default lyrics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XxCFgbxWko&list=PLeroiyegE3-XIO--3N2b7nd_eGVGxP2Tc

Other song melody (The 5 not used).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN4lnVk23UM&list=PLeroiyegE3-X12TeoTgcZcWuzT5lxgFkF

Miitopia Boss Theme I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tejp0wBa344

Miiverse Title Theme (rip)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZd79hg840k

Jump Up Super Star (Remixed so the vocals are done by a mii)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhciLj5VzOk

Notes: I was going to have this up sooner, but Smashboards didn't save so I had to rewrite everything. Another meh stage, maybe I should take a break.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Another meh stage, maybe I should take a break.​

See, I really like this one. As soon as I saw it I knew what you were going for. And now I'm going to have Vinny's stupid Mii songs in my head today... Lol

D

Deleted member

Alright guys. Round 23 is officially closed. See you on Sunday with the grades for it.

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
Stage name:mii maker
Game:Mii maker

The stage takes place on abunch of mii face options and your miis appear on plat forms in the background(along with another bigger mii)

The gimmick is the big mii changes along with the face options and detail buttons and the buttons will change sizes when the slider the main platform is slides.

Unlockable:Yes after making ten mii fighters

Music:
Mii maker music
Miitopia music
Tomadachi life music

Omega form:The slider with none of the button platforms

Miscellaneous:miis chant and cheer along with the voices when some one does good and can also be holding props and if you don’t have enough miis made in Mii maker it will become miis of Sakurai,Reggie,and characters your not playing as

D

Deleted member

The stage takes place on abunch of mii face options and your miis appear on plat forms in the background(along with another bigger mii)

The gimmick is the big mii changes along with the face options and detail buttons and the buttons will change sizes when the slider the main platform is slides.

Music:
Mii maker music
Miitopia music
Tomadachi life music

Miscellaneous:miis chant and cheer along with the voices when some one does good and can also be holding props and if you don’t have enough miis made in Mii maker it will become miis of Sakurai,Reggie,and characters your not playing as
Sorry to say man. But Round 23 got closed off before you submitted this. I look forward to anything you may have to submit for future rounds but unfortunately this one won't be in the running as a contest entry.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Music:
Mii maker music
Miitopia music
Tomadachi life

Great Stage! Unfourtunatey, the round ended a few hours ago, so it probably wont be judged. The next round starts monday and it looks like it's going to be Mario Party, so maybe start preparing for that.

Also, for the crossover round are stages from actual Crossovers (Mario and Rabbids, PMD, Mario and Sonic, ETC) allowed?

Top Bottom