• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
You know the FE prompt is gonna be interesting because everyone and their mother will probably to actively avoid the swordfighter trope or perhaps lean into it even further! Unadulterated chaos!
Or everyone is going to vote for Eliwood or Lyn because they seem to be the ones people want the most

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Well, it's that or Lyn. Betting on her, actually.
I would personally have a pokemon rep because of we add another fire emblem that means we get 9 reps and that would uncomfortably be equal to the mario reps while basically being different swordfighrers, with pokemon they may have loads of reps but they are all distinct and they probably seems to be the funniest to desgn dur to the fact that you translate the moves from a turn based rpg to a fighting game

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I would personally have a pokemon rep because of we add another fire emblem that means we get 9 reps and that would uncomfortably be equal to the mario reps while basically being different swordfighrers, with pokemon they may have loads of reps but they are all distinct and they probably seems to be the funniest to desgn dur to the fact that you translate the moves from a turn based rpg to a fighting game
well seeing as we added Waluigi it wouldn't be equal to the Mario reps

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
There’s also the rest of the “Mario universe” consisting of all the spin off characters. Like you can’t honestly look me in the eyes and tell me that Yoshi isn’t a Mario character.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
well seeing as we added Waluigi it wouldn't be equal to the Mario reps
Yeah but dangerously close, I'm not saying Fire Emblem has certain elements that mean it dosnt deserve to be represented in smash but I'm saying that this franchise is having a problem with oversaturation as of late in smash, and let's be real Byleth is the most pointless dlc adition in Ultimate and with pokemon their is a lot of reps yes but they go beyond the swordfighrers motif, we have brawlers, shooters, and physics as potential reps, that's just my thought on the matter of a new FE rep and I'm trying not to start a flame war that's just my thoughts

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We've already got every single character from Ultimate locked in, so unless we have a theme where we vote on who to remove we're stuck with those eight FE veterans, and since it's Fire Emblem we're also adding another one later on in this game. I think it's better to just make the most of it and vote in someone cool when the FE theme swings around, rather than debate about how pointless Byleth is or how stagnant FE reps are. We can't really do much about it and the debates are well-worn and tired anyways.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
If we get to submitting Pokemon reps, you bet your butts I'm gonna spread propaganda for Melmetal to rep Pokemon GO XD I think that's realistic riiight?

Also if we want a unique FE rep, there's always Tokyo Mirage Sessions :)))) it counts as FE in Ult but it might as well not be.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
We've already got every single character from Ultimate locked in, so unless we have a theme where we vote on who to remove we're stuck with those eight FE veterans, and since it's Fire Emblem we're also adding another one later on in this game. I think it's better to just make the most of it and vote in someone cool when the FE theme swings around, rather than debate about how pointless Byleth is or how stagnant FE reps are. We can't really do much about it and the debates are well-worn and tired anyways.
Yeah it's there project so they can do whatever choices they want so ik complaining about that

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I will say that our next character should probably be more on the cartoony "cereal mascot" side of things. After Jill, Leon, and Takamaru, I think that it would be smart to add a character with a more wacky design to balance them out.
I do wonder how we'd count anime-style and realistic designs. Would they grouped together as just "realistically-proportioned humanoid," or would they be counted separately? Personally, I count the anime style as a sort of in-between, but I'd imagine others see it differently.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
I will say that our next character should probably be more on the cartoony "cereal mascot" side of things. After Jill, Leon, and Takamaru, I think that it would be smart to add a character with a more wacky design to balance them out.
How about a cowboy (technically called Ranger, but cowboys are more marketable) Armadillo, who attacks by rolling into a ball and takes out rock creatures?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sorry guys, I’m in the process of moving so my schedule is all whacked up.

Job #82: Submit a Takamaru Moveset/Gameplay Analysis

With Takamaru being our next fighter, it’s time to move into movesets. When making a moveset, please be descriptive for each attack so we can better visualize how it works. Also a pro tip, most people tend to vote for full movesets rather than partial ones. Since Yiptap Yiptap submitted this character, a moveset from them is appreciated. Also, please provide a gameplay analysis on how Takamaru would play. How are his stats? Does he fit into a certain archetype? Please provide enough information so we know how Takamaru plays like. Make Agee to also read what Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto wrore:
Please don't forget to provide if this character has a gimmick along with Takamaru's gameplay analysis, standard attacks, specials, Final Smash, and any other important moveset info. And finally, what are appropriate alternate colors for Takamaru?

Just to clarify, when making a moveset, are we allowed to use ideas from fan concepts as long as we credit the original source?
Yes, but please limit how much you took from fan moveset concepts. Please don’t base yours off the whole concept. Finally, please keep it to video format. A YouTube video doesn’t count.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I do wonder how we'd count anime-style and realistic designs. Would they grouped together as just "realistically-proportioned humanoid," or would they be counted separately? Personally, I count the anime style as a sort of in-between, but I'd imagine others see it differently.
Well I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you take a look at this 100% accurate and completely serious chart, our balance of art styles has been pretty decent so far.
Acctfck6.png

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
A thing I want to clear up about the Moveset submissions. Good thing Takamaru seems to be very flexible. You can either pull off a "Captain Falcon" with his moveset, or include tons of references to his games, or heck maybe a mix of both? It's all up to you, we've decided to give you guys full creative freedom with your movesets. After a certain period of time, we'll vote on which gameplay proposal gets in.

Please don't forget to provide if this character has a gimmick along with Takamaru's gameplay analysis, standard attacks, specials, Final Smash, and any other important moveset info. And finally, what are appropriate alternate colors for Takamaru?

We will include Idle Animations, Taunts and Classic Mode at a later job. Have fun everyone.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
If its proportioned like a realistic human (leon the FE reps min min) it's human styled build, if its cartoonish in build (shantae mario wario) its a different catagory

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
My moveset is basically done, I'm just making it more descriptive. I'll have it done in maybe like 2 to 3 hours if I'm not occupied by something else.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Job 82: Takamaru Moveset
Takamaru.png
Takamaru's design would be based primarily on his appearance on his original game's boxart (as shown in the image above).

Takamaru would use a few of his moves that he did as an Assist Trophy; he'd be an extremely swift fighter with little endlag, but mediocre damage outputs and launch power.

...Okay, in all seriousness:
Intro: Takamaru appears from a puff of smoke

Stance/Idle 1: His pose as an Assist Trophy
Idle 2: Takamaru looks behind his shoulder
Idle 3: Takamaru brushes dust off of his kimono

Notable Palette Swaps:
  1. Takamaru (default)
  2. SSB4 Takamaru (white)
  3. Samurai Warriors 3 (purple/blue)
  4. Sakura Samurai (red)
  5. Donbe (blue)
  6. Captain Rainbow Takamaru (green)
  7. Lon'Qu (dark blue)
  8. Sephiroth (black)

Walk: His walk animation from the Famicom game
Dash: His dash as an Assist Trophy
Damage: Takamaru nearly falls over
Jump: His jump as an Assist Trophy
Crouch: Takamaru kneels with both knees

Normal Attacks
Jab: Takamaru instantly unleashes a flurry of slashes (1% each, small knockback), and finishes with a backhanded upper slash (4%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Takamaru simply slashes down (5%, small knockback)
Down+A: Takamaru does a swift seated slash (5%, small knockback)
Up+A: Takamaru does a swift skyward slash (7%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Takamaru casts the Ring of Fire Jutsu, which has him cast fireballs around himself (3% each, small knockback)
Air Forward+A: Takamaru does a dual knife attack (6% each, small knockback)
Air Back + A: Takamaru does a roundhouse kick imbued with thunder (14%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Takamaru spins a shuriken above his head (15%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Takamaru drops a clay bomb (10%, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Takamaru does a Quick Draw (10%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Takamaru hops up and does a floor kick (6%, small knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Takamaru frantically swings his sword left and right (5% each hit, small knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Takamaru quickly dashes forward; he then stops as the enemy is briefly stunned, then the hit lands as Takamaru sheaths his sword (18%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Fiery Bishop’s Barrage; Takamaru slashes upward to the right with three fireballs going in three different directions (20%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Fiery Rook’s Rotation; Takamaru slashes in a circle spin (10%, OK knockback) and sends out four fireballs that go up, down, left and right, going through platforms (4% each, small knockback); when closer to opponents, Takamaru can hit them up to five times (26%, medium knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Takamaru grabs the opponent with his left hand
Pummel: Takamaru rapidly pummels with the handle of his sword (1%)
Forwards+Throw: Takamaru throws the opponent like a throwing star (8%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Takamaru throws a smokescreen that affects a small area (7%, small knockback)
Back+Throw: Takamaru throws the opponent like a throwing star (8%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Takamaru skewers the opponent with his sword (11%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Throwing Knives
; Takamaru swiftly throws a knife that stops opponents dead in their tracks, no knockback (5%)
B + Forwards : Pinwheel Shuriken; Takamaru throws four throwing stars (that hit four times each) in different directions (1% each hit, small knockback); when on the ground, he throws them in an X-shape. When in the air, he throws them in a + shape.
B + Up : Tengu Twister; Takamaru takes the Tengu’s symbolic fatsia leaf and bashes it down for a special meteor attack (9%, OK knockback). He then goes slightly up in a tornado that can be freely moved left or right for 3 seconds, but only pushes opponents instead of dealing damage.
B + Down : Invisibility Technique; Takamaru disappears in a puff of smoke and is invisible for 9 seconds, with the only indication being the faint puffs of dust below his feet when he’s on the ground

Final Smash: Inazuma Lightning; Takamaru dons the Kabuto Helmet, and clouds appear in the sky. Bolts of lightning then rain down (10% each, OK knockback) and cover the whole screen.

Gimmick: N/A

Taunts
1: Takamaru mimics his pose from his home game’s box art
2: Takamaru brandishes his sword to his right
1+2: A tanuki appears from behind Takamaru (with the SMB3) and astonishes him, only to leave soon after with Takamaru regaining focus

Winposes
2: Takamaru sheaths his sword while smiling with relief
3: Takamaru bows with both knees on the ground while smiling, as Sakura petals gently fall down around him

Applause: Takamaru bows with both knees on the ground out of respect
Icon: The Murasame Castle itself
Boxing Ring Title: The Forgotten Famicom Ronin
Star K.O.: “Uuuuoooooo…!!”
Victory Music: https://youtu.be/lBIUQzJNwlI
Kirby Hat: Takamaru’s hair

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
View attachment 309585
Takamaru's design would be based primarily on his appearance on his original game's boxart (as shown in the image above).

Takamaru would use a few of his moves that he did as an Assist Trophy; he'd be an extremely swift fighter with little endlag, but mediocre damage outputs and launch power.

Notable Palette Swaps:
  1. Takamaru (default)
  2. SSB4 Takamaru (white)
  4. Sakura Samurai (red)
  5. Donbe (blue)
  7. Lon'Qu (dark blue)
  8. Sephiroth (black)

Normal Attacks
Jab: Takamaru instantly unleashes a flurry of slashes (1% each, small knockback), and finishes with a backhanded upper slash (4%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Takamaru casts the Ring of Fire Jutsu, which has him cast fireballs around himself (3% each, small knockback)
Air Back + A: Takamaru does a roundhouse kick imbued with thunder (14%, OK knockback)

Get-Up Attack: Takamaru frantically swings his sword left and right (5% each hit, small knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Fiery King’s Katana; Takamaru slashes downward with three fireballs stacked together (18%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Fiery Bishop’s Barrage; Takamaru slashes upward to the right with three fireballs going in three different directions (20%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Fiery Rook’s Rotation; Takamaru slashes in a circle spin (10%, OK knockback) and sends out four fireballs that go up, down, left and right, going through platforms (4% each, small knockback); when closer to opponents, Takamaru can hit them up to five times (26%, medium knockback)

Grab Game
Forwards+Throw: Takamaru throws the opponent like a throwing star (8%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Takamaru throws a smokescreen that affects a small area (7%, small knockback)
Back+Throw: Takamaru throws the opponent like a throwing star (8%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
; Takamaru swiftly throws a knife that stops opponents dead in their tracks, no knockback (5%)
B + Forwards : Pinwheel Shuriken; Takamaru throws four throwing stars (that hit four times each) in different directions (1% each hit, small knockback); when on the ground, he throws them in an X-shape. When in the air, he throws them in a + shape.
B + Up : Tengu Twister; Takamaru takes the Tengu’s symbolic fatsia leaf and bashes it down for a special meteor attack (9%, OK knockback). He then goes slightly up in a tornado that can be freely moved left or right for 3 seconds, but only pushes opponents instead of dealing damage.
B + Down : Invisibility Technique; Takamaru disappears in a puff of smoke and is invisible for 9 seconds, with the only indication being the faint puffs of dust below his feet when he’s on the ground

Final Smash: Inazuma Lightning; Takamaru dons the Kabuto Helmet, and clouds appear in the sky. Bolts of lightning then rain down (10% each, OK knockback) and cover the whole screen.

Taunts
1+2: A tanuki appears from behind Takamaru (with the SMB3) and astonishes him, only to leave soon after with Takamaru regaining focus

Winposes
3: Takamaru bows with both knees on the ground while smiling, as Sakura petals gently fall down around him

Boxing Ring Title: Murasame Samurai Warrior
If your referring samurai and shinobi you should also have alts based on the sega game shinobi and the legend of kage, great moveset

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Job 82: Takamaru's Moveset

Takamaru Unsheathes His Victory!
from The Mysterious Murasame Castle

First Appearance: The Mysterious Murasame Castle

Alts: Blue, Red, Green, Pink, Grey, Black, Classic.

Alt References:
Blue: Based on the colours of Aosame Castle.
Red: Based on the colours of Akasame Castle.
Green: Based on the colours of Ryukosame Castle.
Pink: Based on the colours of Momosame Castle.
Grey: Based on the colours of Murasame Castle.
Black: Resembles the colour of the black ninjas Takamaru frequently fights.
Classic: Directly based on Takamaru's in-game sprite.

Entrance Animation.

Takamaru begins the battle while kneeling with his hand on his katana. He then unsheathes his katana and stands up getting ready for battle.

Properties

Yuri has a weight value of 93, a falling speed value of 1.9 and has a running speed of 1.87.

Special Mechanics: Tipper / Passive Counter Stance

Takamaru’s katana like Marth’s Falchion is strongest at the end of the blade and weakest at the hilt.

If Takamaru attacks an opponent performing a counter attack with his katana with the sweet spot of his katana, time will slow down and he will slide back a little bit dodging the counter altogether. Takamaru then enters a defensive stance with his katana pointed straight downwards where he will automatically counter any physical attack for x1.5 damage.

This stance can be exited immediately upon performing any action and any attack out of the stance will come out faster than normally using it otherwise. This property of Takamaru’s is a solid safeguard that makes him immune to surprise counter hits.

Takamaru is not completely immune to counterattacks however as hitting with the entire blade will result in him taking damage like normal and Counter Stance will not be activated.

Regular Attacks

Jab: Swipes his katana up and then back down. Can be rapidly used when button mashing. If the button is held instead of pressed, Takamaru will hold his sword up and enter a stance where he will hold his sword up with the blade facing outwards. He can walk back or forward by slowly sidestepping while he faces the same direction either way.

During this stance, he can use any of his grounded attacks and they will come out with half the startup they would normally have and will deal 1.2x their usual damage. He will also automatically counter and reflect any attacks that come his way but only from the side he is facing and only for x1.1 the initial damage dealt. You can exit the stance by letting go of the A button and not inputting an attack.

Forward Tilt: Swings his katana outstretched from the side. This move is a little slow to come out making it not great for starting combos but is a solid edgeguarding tool and a KO option.

Up Tilt: A quick slice attack from his waist directly upwards. A quick move that can chain into his aerials.

Down Tilt: An extended swipe similar to his jab but with longer reach and covers the entirety of his body from the top of his head to below.

Dash Attack: Runs forward and slashes the katana across the side.

Aerials

Neutral Air: An outward slash similar to Marth’s neutral air.

Forward Air: A slash reaching from his head to around his waist. A decent KO option but not as strong as forward tilt.

Back Air: Pokes his katana behind him similar to a sheathing animation except the blade is being used to attack and not being put away.

Up Air: A giant but slow overhead slash with his katana. Another good KO option and its wide range makes it a sufficient anti-air.

Down Air: Swipes his sword up and then down while bringing himself slightly lower acting similarly to a stall and fall attack but the falling portion of the attack lasts much shorter than most attacks of the same archetype.

Smash Attacks

Forward Smash: Raises his katana upwards and then brings it down and slices to the side. When timed right, it can reflect any incoming projectiles.

Up Smash: A strong upwards strike with his blade pointing behind him above his head as if he were about to deliver a blow to someone below him.

Down Smash: Sheathes his katana and delivers a mighty blow across the ground with an extended hitbox from a burst of fire balls that erupt from his blade referencing the fireball he can find and use against his foes.

Grab/Throws

Grab: A short grab with his hand that isn’t very outstretched,

Pummel: A weak shake with his grabbing fist.

Forward Throw: Throws the opponent forward slightly in front of him.

Back Throw: A throw behind him weaker than his forward throw.

Up Throw: A rising throw that sends the opponent far above him.

Down Throw: Sets his fists ablaze and roughly drops them.

Special Attacks

Neutral Special (Windmill Sword):
Like his prior Assist Trophy, Takamaru will throw the same windmill sword items he can find and use in his home game. The windmill swords are weak but they come in fours and will fly directly in each direction, left, right, up and down. While they are incredibly weak with little launch power to boot, they come out extremely fast letting them chain into other attacks if the opponent is close to Takamaru.

Additionally, the attack functions as a great spacing tool being able to hit from every direction except for diagonal angles but because of how quick it is to attack from Windmill Sword, Takamaru’s faster normal attacks can cover his weak spots easily. The attack cannot be used again until the original windmill swords have all disappeared.

Side Special (Blinding Strike): Similar to Ike’s Quick Draw, Takamaru’s Blinding Strike functions much the same way but is overall based on the Iaijutsu. Takamaru will sheathe his katana and take a deep breath while looking down. After 3 seconds, he will move forward at blinding speeds slicing outward with his katana. This is by far Takamaru’s most dangerous move and also his most telegraphed.

Unlike Ike’s side special, it does not have a player controlled charging period and will always be set to a 3 second timer before Takamaru strikes and he will be left vulnerable afterwards. However, Takamaru will go slightly farther than Ike and his attack’s entire hitbox will come out all at once. Visually, Takamaru will almost appear as if he teleported leaving afterimages behind him.

Up Special (Leaping Katana): To keep the classic feel of his moveset, Takamaru will leap into the air slashing his katana in an arch that reaches overhead. After the attack is over, Takamaru will simply be sent into freefall. The longer the attack, the weaker it is but is a decent KO move for opponents at high percentages close to the upper blastline.

Down Special (Counter Stance): Takamaru will enter the defensive stance from his Passive Counter Stance ability. Similar to most counter-based moves, it will absorb any attack that hits him and strike back for a whopping x1.7 the amount of damage originally dealt to him, unlike his passive stance. What’s unique about this attack is that when used, Takamaru doesn’t leave his stance right away. This gives Takamaru by definition the longest lasting counter.

However, Takamaru can’t exit the stance quickly if activated using this attack. Instead, any button press will have him slowly sheathe his katana back in before being able to fight again. Additionally, Takamaru is left vulnerable from behind. The counter’s unbridled strength and opportunity to strike is very rewarding but failure to use this counter properly will result in a humbling punishment.

Final Smash: Ninja Attack!

Takamaru attempts to perform a giant and powerful slashing attack starting by raising his blade into the air but oh no, the evil ninjas have joined the fray of the battle and have interrupted his attack! Takamaru is a powerful fighter and a fair one at that and he will do anything to keep the battle as fair as possible to keep his honor. Takamaru performs his iconic slashes as several blue ninjas attack him from all over the screen focusing mostly on where Takamaru is located.

The ninjas will deal damage to any players that they touch while trying to attack Takamaru as he diligently swats them away and launching them possibly even KO’ing them. When Takamaru is finished slaying all the ninjas, the alien that invaded Murasame Castle appears from above and attempts one final attack with a deadly laser beam.

Takamaru attempts to deflect its raw power and is successful at sending back the alien but not enough to keep his opponents safe. I guess we will never learn what his true final smash was meant to be.

This attack is loosely based on the animation that can appear in Super Mario Maker 2 where he cameos in and as such, the original 8-bit Castle Town theme will play while the Final Smash is ongoing.

Taunts

Side Taunt: Two blue ninjas attack from both sides which Takamaru swiftly slices down. The ninjas have small hitboxes that can lightly tap a close by opponent.

Up Taunt: Takamaru holds its katana outwards to hone his stance. Its shine gleams among the entire blade.

Down Taunt: Takamaru kneels with his sword katana and gets back up.

Victory Animations

Victory Theme: The opening tune of Castle Town

Victory 1: Takamaru performs a flurry of slashes and strikes forward with his katana.

Victory 2: Takamaru fends off attacking ninjas by swatting them off with his iconic slashing attack.

Victory 3: Takamaru sheathes his katana and looks upwards with a dignified look on his face.

So if you've read this, let me explain how Takamaru's character works. He is a very high risk high reward type character at his core and he doesn't rely on all too many combos. If spaced well, his attacks can be brutal to deal with and it wouldn't be wrong to call him a spacing warrior. While most of his moves come out quick, they can end very slowly and as such, you want to make every attack count. One wrong move and you'll be punished and sent into disadvantage. His two most powerful special moves (Blinding Strike and Counter Stance) are slow but rewarding.

Although Takamaru doesn't have a well described personality so improvisation was required. His dialogue mostly consists of battle cries whenever he performs his stronger attacks. A lot of his actions can be described as floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee. He moves with grace but hits hard with every stroke of the sword.

Takamaru can also enter several stances that slow him down but reward him for being patience. It's no coincidence his Jab Stance, Counter Stance and Passive Counter Stance all have counter related properties to them. Takamaru looks for openings and when he spots one, he goes for it. It's ultimately what you could consider his character gimmick, being a character focused on a lot of counter strategies and hit-and-run tactics.

Additionally, it's fair to note that his grabs are pretty uninspired and weak. Takamaru is a character that prefers not to fight with his fists as he is a samurai after all who much rather would honour his style and use his trusty katana.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Is it just me or are Lyn's weapon is kinda similar to Takamaru's katana, I know that swordfighter doesn't disqualify but does it disqualify katana-esque weapon?
Probably, though I'd assume it only lasts until the next theme. Seeing as the next one is confirmed to be a third party (I think), Lyn should be safe. That being said, I wonder if Takamaru will affect Lyn's popularity at all, at least regarding moveset potential. There's probably going to be a sect that still votes for her on the basis of being Lyn, but still.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Is it just me or are Lyn's weapon is kinda similar to Takamaru's katana, I know that swordfighter doesn't disqualify but does it disqualify katana-esque weapon?
Their fighting styles differ somewhat when you look into the other kinds of attacks Takamaru and Lyn are capable of. I guess it depends on what sort of moveset we choose to go with. If Takamaru is made to be purely a sword-based without incorporating his other items and attacks, then we could run into an issue. Thankfully, most of the submitted movesets thus far are incorporating other content.

I do see some issue though having two Katana users in the base roster.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Their fighting styles differ somewhat when you look into the other kinds of attacks Takamaru and Lyn are capable of. I guess it depends on what sort of moveset we choose to go with. If Takamaru is made to be purely a sword-based without incorporating his other items and attacks, then we could run into an issue. Thankfully, most of the submitted movesets thus far are incorporating other content.

I do see some issue though having two Katana users in the base roster.
Let's compare their assist trophies

Takamaru uses his sword to complement his ranged shurikens, using the two equally

Lyn focuses on charging for a perfect slash and solely uses her sword

They use the same tools yes but they use then differently

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
View attachment 309585

Notable Palette Swaps:
  1. Takamaru (default)
  2. SSB4 Takamaru (white)
  4. Sakura Samurai (red)
  5. Donbe (blue)
  7. Lon'Qu (dark blue)
  8. Sephiroth (black)

Normal Attacks

Aerial Attacks

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Fiery King’s Katana; Takamaru slashes downward with three fireballs stacked together (18%, OK knockback)

Grab Game

Special Moves

Taunts

Winposes

Boxing Ring Title: Murasame Samurai Warrior
I'm quite fond of this moveset for my boy, but I have three suggestions that I think would add to it:

1. It's not super useful, but as a reference to his game, it would be cool if Takamaru could run on water. If you obtain a certain item in the game, Takamaru can do just this.
2. I think a more traditional romanticized samurai forward Smash could be cooler. Takamaru charges the attack while it's still in it's sheath; and when the button is released, he quickly dashes forward, resheathing the blade. The enemy would take some hitstun for a moment, then suffer the knockback, or even more ridiculous, take no knockback at all, instead falling to the ground. It's the classic ronin single-strike attack.
3. I think a better Boxing Ring title would be "The Forgotten Famicom Ronin."

(Oh, also "Inazuma" means lightning already, so a more appropriate name would be "Inazuma Technique"... because as of right now, you've essentially named his final smash "Lightning Lightning" and I'm 90% this isn't One Piece XD

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Job 82 - Takamaru Moveset

Based on The Legend of Zelda and Mysterious Murasame Castle being based on the same engine, Takamaru is designed as a sort of inverse Link, so to speak. Both are balanced swordfighters, but Link has more of a slant towards zoning and is held back by his slow speed, while Takamaru is more of a rushdown character. Since MMC is a single-installment series without much to draw from, the vast majority of Takamaru's attacks are ripped straight from Samurai Shodown freestyled, effectively making him Smash's samurai OC.

Takamaru's attacks are divided in focus. His tilts and aerials are generally swift attacks that can be quickly chained together, while his smashes and specials have him sheath his blade, exchanging speed for heavy damage. These sheathed attacks have a unique quirk to them: While they usually have a high amount of endlag, actually landing them decreases the endlag substantially, encouraging Takamaru to get up close to his opponents to make sure his hits connect. On the flipside, if his opponent shields, he's in a real nasty position (Assuming the shield doesn't pop, which is a very real possibility with Taka's stronger moves)/ In addition, his smashes and down special can deflect attacks, giving him a way to beat out those pesky zoners.

Ground Attacks
  • Jab - A swift downward slash, followed by an upward slash, and finishing with a horizontal swing. The fist hit resembles his sword swings as an Assist Trophy, which themselves are adapted from the attack animations of the original game, but the following two hits are original.
  • Side Tilt - A swift thrust. His slowest tilt, but still quite fast. For reference:
    1617325757509.png
  • Up Tilt - An uppercut slash in front of Takamaru. Not much range for a sword attack, but it's a good launcher. More SamSho references:
    1617325871871.png
  • Down Tilt - A sliding kick. Once again, Haohmaru:
    1617326158148.png
  • Dash Attack - A swift horizontal slash.
Smashes
  • Forward Smash - Takamaru sheaths his sword, then delivers a devastating sideways slash.
  • Up Smash - Takamaru sheaths his sword, then performs a wide-reaching circular slash around himself. His laggiest smash attack - And thanks to his sheathing gimmick, that's saying something - But it hits all around him, making it great for taking out enemies who are already jumping toward you.
  • Down Smash - Takamaru sheaths his sword, then performs a swift circular slash around himself across the ground. His fastest smash attack, but it also has the worst range.
Aerials
  • Neutral Aerial - A quick flying kick, like Link's neutral aerial.
  • Forward Aerial - A powerful downward swing. His strongest and slowest aerial. Resembles Hero's forward aerial, but with two hands instead of one... And coincidentally resembles another Haohmaru move.
    1617326657398.png
    [/ISPOILER]
    [*]Back Aerial - A backwards thrust, as if he was sheathing his sword. Closest analogue is Shulk's back aerial, but the smaller, lighter sword makes it a lot faster.
    [*]Up Aerial - Takamaru thrusts his sword upwards. Resembles Link's up aerial somewhat, but much faster and doesn't linger.
    [*]Down Aerial - A falling stab.
Throws
  • Grab - A quick grab with his free hand.
  • Pummel - Takamaru knees his opponent.
  • Forward Throw - Takamaru slashes his opponent away. Resembles Shulk's forward throw.
  • Back Throw - Takamaru throws the opponent behind him and kicks them away.
  • Up Throw - Takamaru tosses the opponent above his head and slashes them away.
  • Down Throw - Takamaru tosses the opponent to the ground and stabs them.
Specials
  • Neutral Special - Windmill Swords
    Takamaru throws out a pair of windmill swords, dealing minor damage but reaching pretty far. Holding the button charges them, cloaking them in fire and adding a third projectile to the mix, at the cost of some range. The charged version is a solid damage-dealer and kill tool, but it's also rather risky.

In Mysterious Murasame Castle, Takamaru can use throwing knives as a ranged attack. Various power-ups can be found that increase the number of knives thrown, or change them to long-range windmill swords and high-power fireballs. This special pretty much combines all the power-ups, ironically skipping the original knives entirely.
  • Side Special - Iaijutsu Rush
    Takamaru sheaths his sword, then rushes forward, slashing all in his way. Uniquely, the initial attack deals decent damage, but doesn't actually launch the opponent. Pressing the button again has Takamaru sheath his sword, causing the knockback to kick in. However, it also has a sizeable amount of endlag, making just the rush on it's own better for starting combos.

This move is wholly original, based on the famous image of samurai and their quick-draw skills.
  • Up Special - Ring Slash
    Takamaru sheaths his sword, then rises straight up while slashing around himself. Holding the button increases the distance traveled and sets the sword on fire, greatly increasing the damage output.

While mostly original, this move is loosely based on the rook Shogi piece power-up, which allows Takamaru to throw four knives all around himself. It also draws inspiration from the Fireball projectile, and it's combination with the aforementioned rook piece.
  • Down Special - Quick-Draw Counter
    Takamaru sheaths his sword. Anyone who hits him gets hit with a powerful slash, reaching wide enough to hit multiple opponents. This attack also works as a reflector, throwing back any projectiles that hit Takamaru.

This move is based on Takamaru's ability to reflect projectiles with his sword, which is also demonstrated in his smash attacks.
  • Final Smash - Inazuma Rush
    Takamaru sheaths his sword, then releases a burst of lightning, paralyzing all who are hit. He then unleashes a devastating barrage of slashes, ending with one final rush. He caps off the assault by sheathing his sword, after which the opponents are launched.

This move is a stylized representation of the powerful Inazuma technique.
Alts
  • Blue and cyan
  • Red and black
  • Green and silver
  • Pink and purple
  • Yellow and orange
  • Black and white
  • haohmaru White and black

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
For the next character I would like it to be a Sony rep like Knack or Sly, another pokemon rep, or a joke character like Duck Hunt, those what I personally think I want for the next rep

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
For the next character I would like it to be a Sony rep like Knack or Sly, another pokemon rep, or a joke character like Duck Hunt, those what I personally think I want for the next rep
A sony rep is one of the 2 prompts i have in mind when we can eventually submit one for 3rd parties

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
For me, I just want the next prompt to be someone that is really underrated and basically the opposite of the speculation spectrum, like say a Sony character or a Mortal Kombat character. Been waiting patiently for this to happened.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
For me, I just want the next prompt to be someone that is really underrated and basically the opposite of the speculation spectrum, like say a Sony character or a Mortal Kombat character. Been waiting patiently for this to happened.
Yeah imagine if Kratos got in this thread

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Here is my Takamaru Move set, it's a bit simpler and I probably missed some real good spots for references but whatever

Takamaru would be a light weight but fast fighter with swift attacks that don't deal a lot of damage

--Stats--

Weight: Around the same as Marth

Fall speed: Same as Falco

Air Speed: Same as Shulk

Initial Dash: Same as Ridley

Run Speed: slightly faster than Banjo

--Basic Attacks--

Jab: A swift strike with his sword, the animation is taken from his Assist appearance and so is it's rapid hit property

Side tilt: Same as the jab only moving.

Up tilt: An Upward slash

Down tilt: A Downwards slash

Dash Attack: Takamaru thrusts his sword forwards

Get Up: Takamaru swings his sword around him

Ledge Get Up: Takamaru stabs the ledge

Side Smash: A charged sword slash that can be angled

Up Smash: A slice upwards followed by a quick slice downwards

Down Smash: A slice on both sides of Takamaru

Neutral air: Same as his jab but only in the air

Forward Air: A Do wards slash

Back Air: A backwards slash

Up Air: Takamaru stabs upwards

Down Air: Stall and fall, Takamaru slams the ground with his sword (Animation mimics the attack in Samurai Warriors)

--Specials--

Neutral: Shuriken/Windmill Swords, Tapping the button throws out a fast moving but weak shuriken projectile this can be used in air, Holding the button he throws out 4 Windmill swords in an X formation, it cannot be used in the air

Side: Fireball, Takamaru casts a fireball forwards that is fast and deals a good bit of damage.

Down: Invisibility Technique, Takamaru becomes invisible in a puff of smoke for 5 seconds

Up: Burning Impact Technique, Takamaru lights his sword on fire, In the air he slashes upwards rising with the slash, on the ground He slashes upwards but instead of gaining height he summons a pillar of flame in front of him.

Final Smash: Inazuma Technique, Takamaru summons high powered lightning that strikes all over the screen.

--Grabs--

Basic grab: Takamaru grabs the opponent with his left hand

Pummel: Takamaru hits the opponent with the hilt of his sword

F-throw: Takamaru stabs the opponent with his sword, this doesn't knockback but it does slightly stagger the opponent in a fashion similar to Ridley's down-b

B-throw: Takamaru kicks the opponent backwards

U-throw: Takamaru slashes the opponent upwards

D-throw: A Tanuki statue falls onto the opponent

--Alt ideas--

1: His default appearance taken from his assist in Smash

2: His clothes become blue as a reference to the Ninjas (Bottom left)

3: His clothes become black to match that of the ninjas (bottom left)

4: His clothes become pink to match another one of the ninjas (bottom left)

5: His hair becomes orange and the colors of his clothes change to that of the princesses (underneath the guy in white around the middle right)

6: He gains the colors of his Captain Rainbow design

7: He gains the colors of his NES sprite

8: His hair and clothes change to match that of Murasame's Normal Form (as seen in Samurai Warriors)

--Miscellaneous--
All of his elemental abilities have the regular smash effects, Takamaru's also have the original sprites hidden inside the particles.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Hey when's the next boss poll, because I dont think their is much in the way of a Takumaru boss for this franchise

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
The one from Nintendo Land?
Oh Nintendo Land is open for representation, you know Murasume Nintendo Land would make a good boss, I picture the boss to tower over you and act like a mini master fortress and you need to platform to smash the 2 bomb making legs and the 2 shuriken shooting hands before having a boss fight with the Mask, all the while battling the Cardboard Ninjas, if I get the chance I could talk more depth in this idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom