• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Would you all want For Glory to return in Smash? If so, would you want a ranking system? Explain why.
I was never for it, but I know it has it’s market, and I’d be happy to see it return. I’m a filthy casual, and only get competitive with friends. I don’t know all the drama and coflama that goes into the true competitive scene, and it’s not my cup of tea.

Yes I want it to return for those who enjoy it, but not with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd ranking system. That’d cause a lot of unnecessary drama.

Assist Trophies are more limited due to the multi-franchise nature of them.
The Summoner's Gun would let them use a wider variety of Fire Emblem characters.

Oh, I see! Then yes. Add the Summoner’s Gun, and just take Fire Emblem Reps out of Assist Trophies.

How would you say the gun would work?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
New Subject/ Distraction!

Any new stage ideas for Smash V?

I’d love to hear them!
One thing I'd love to see in Smash one day is stages that combine elements from multiple different franchises. That's one thing I always really liked about Playstation All Stars Battle Royale ( I'm sorry for mentioning THAT game ), the stages combined elements from the different franchises represented in the game. For example you could have an Ice Climber stage on Fichina from Star Fox. Or you could have Bowser's castle with Slugma's coming out from the lava. Another idea is Dream Land with Olimar's ship crash landed on it or something like that. You get the idea.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Would you all want For Glory to return in Smash? If so, would you want a ranking system? Explain why.
Yes.

And if FG were to return it needs to have stages with platforms. Watch any sort of competitive Smash Bros and aside from FD there's always a stage with platforms. For Glory should reflect that.
Nothing wrong with being stupid :p
*gives you a hug out of pity*

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
What? I like being dumb. :lol:

I'm guessing something like this.

Hahaha, I meant do you just get one shot? :rotfl:

The Ultra Wormhole from Pokemon Sun & Moon.

The Ultra Beasts can act as a stage hazard.
That’d be amazing. I want Beast Balls added as an item though. See some Ultra Beast in action on a variety of stages. Then have the ones who don’t appear out of Ultra Balls, on the stage.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I was never for it, but I know it has it’s market, and I’d be happy to see it return. I’m a filthy casual, and only get competitive with friends. I don’t know all the drama and coflama that goes into the true competitive scene, and it’s not my cup of tea.

Yes I want it to return for those who enjoy it, but not with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd ranking system. That’d cause a lot of unnecessary drama.

Oh, I see! Then yes. Add the Summoner’s Gun, and just take Fire Emblem Reps out of Assist Trophies.

Personally I'd see the Summoner's gun work like an Assist Trophy, you grab it, you immediately shoot it upwards and a Fire Emblem drops from the sky

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Just like a mix of the Poke ball and the Ray gun where it's done when you press the attack button.

The gun shoots a ball of light out that lands a few feet away and a random character spawns from it and proceeds to do whatever they'll do (Lissa could heal or do her Berserk Spin from Warriors, Lianna does her impression of Best Girl, Frederick rides across the stage swinging his Axe, Whitewings do their triangle attack etc.)

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
You would also have a 1/8192 or 1/4096 of finding a shiny Ultra Beast. Maybe legendary Pokemon would appear as well.

Did you just summarize Fire Emblem Heroes in a canon?
What’s the allure of having Shiny Pokémon come out? Would they do anything differently? Be more powerful or something else?

Or is it just for esthetic purposes?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ohhhh! I see what you’re saying. I agree. The major 3 franchises of Nintendo, being Mario, Pokémon, and Legend of Zelda get plenty of representation in a multitude of ways.

Representation is more than just roster slots.
Fire Emblem is unique as it gets relevant and iconic characters with every game. Corrin was going to get into Smash either way. If not 4, then 5 plus probably the newest character. Zelda usually gets the villain of the game plus a helper of some sort but that wasn’t the case of BotW. So yeah people are salty about so many FE reps but it makes since considering FE representation is mostly focused on just that. Roster reps.

On a different topic, I’ve always thought how Smash would be different in terms of the roster if Smash first debuted on the NES system and appeared on the SNES, GB, SNES, and GBA before the N64. How would the roster be on those systems? It’s interesting to think about.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I’ve seen a lot of people saying Corrin is going to be cut in Smash V.

...Does anyone know why?

I know Sakurai said he was weary adding another Fire Emblem Character. He thought adding Corrin was adding too many Fire Emblem characters, but I don’t know if he was just saying that. I know he’s a big fan of the franchise, and I feel Roy of Lucina would be cut before Corrin would.

I’m confused. Help.
Actually, if they're revolving FE characters around, Corrin could be cut because he was added "just at that time". He barely made it in due to perfect timing. If there was no DLC before the next game, or DLC never went beyond Mewtwo, he wouldn't be in. It's not entirely salt(though some is). If we want new options, going beyond six overall characters is unlikely, so one has to think about cuts. Lucina probably will make it in due to both being popular and ease of being a clone. Roy could go either way. The other 3(Ike, Marth, and Robin) are all unique and have little reason to be cut. It also helps they are base characters and already bring something very new without clone movesets, etc. Roy's major factor is he is already considered a lesser important choice among the full cast, so stuff like DLC makes a lot of sense for him too. He was clearly lower priority in Brawl, and possibly wasn't even worked on till DLC development started in 4. I feel his role is similar to Mewtwo in that particular regard. Mewtwo obviously wasn't added as a "spur of the moment clone" in Melee, but yeah.

And yeah, Fire Emblem has few options for items, which means to represent them, most of it needs to be through characters overall(Assist Trophies, Playable, and Trophies). Some series like Zelda has a crapload of options for multiple categories. FE doesn't have that many easy stages to make either, and that's a bit of an issue. We haven't had much stage variety in there(albeit, is there many other options from the games? I don't play FE at all, so... I know DKC is lacking some options like a Minecart stage).

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Fields, swamps, deserts, castles being invaded or defended, harbors, towns, mountain sides, forests, places filled with lava, probably more. FE chapters can take place in all kinds of areas. I find Castle Siege does a good job of representing parts of it with a fight outside a castle, then going inside and then randomly the lava area but without any deadly lava. From there, it's all a matter of picking the most memorable chapter locations. First one that comes to mind is the castle where Ike and the Black Knight fight. Could have it crumble down as the match goes on and then resurface much like how Luigi's Mansion does. Never beat Rekka no Ken and I don't remember too much from Shadow Dragon (save for the desert where Gharnef or whatever his name is can't be killed), Sacred Stones, Awakening, Birthright or Conquest. Purposely didn't list RD since I'm bias as all sweet heck towards that game and could argue that damn near every chapter could be stage worthy.

Items for FE don't have to be too hard. There's numerous types of weapons, could replace the Beam Sword with an FE sword or have a magic sword like the Levin Sword, could make a lance useable where it'd have long reach but have high endlag, could have a Hand Axe that's short range but powerful when it hits or when it's thrown, numerous staves could be used like Freeze or Warp or Ward. Plenty of characters to choose from for Assist Trophies and I don't actually mind the idea of the Summoning gun thing from Heroes due to the high number of FE characters there are.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Actually, if they're revolving FE characters around, Corrin could be cut because he was added "just at that time". He barely made it in due to perfect timing. If there was no DLC before the next game, or DLC never went beyond Mewtwo, he wouldn't be in. It's not entirely salt(though some is). If we want new options, going beyond six overall characters is unlikely, so one has to think about cuts. Lucina probably will make it in due to both being popular and ease of being a clone. Roy could go either way. The other 3(Ike, Marth, and Robin) are all unique and have little reason to be cut. It also helps they are base characters and already bring something very new without clone movesets, etc. Roy's major factor is he is already considered a lesser important choice among the full cast, so stuff like DLC makes a lot of sense for him too. He was clearly lower priority in Brawl, and possibly wasn't even worked on till DLC development started in 4. I feel his role is similar to Mewtwo in that particular regard. Mewtwo obviously wasn't added as a "spur of the moment clone" in Melee, but yeah.

And yeah, Fire Emblem has few options for items, which means to represent them, most of it needs to be through characters overall(Assist Trophies, Playable, and Trophies). Some series like Zelda has a crapload of options for multiple categories. FE doesn't have that many easy stages to make either, and that's a bit of an issue. We haven't had much stage variety in there(albeit, is there many other options from the games? I don't play FE at all, so... I know DKC is lacking some options like a Minecart stage).
That’s 3 Marth Clones (Roy to a lesser extent), Ike, and Robin. So much for new options. Corrin offers something new. I just don’t see the need for Corrin to be cut. It takes away something new and unique to keep something that we already have twice over. Personally, I don’t see the problem with the amount of Fire Emblem characters, and I’m not even a fan of the series. Just because Corrin got in doesn’t mean another character didn’t. That’s been said time and time again by Sakurai himself regarding roster spots. I hope Smash V brings Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Corrin, and whoever they choose from Fire Emblem Switch. Lucina can be DLC, (or just be cut all together) and people would pay for her because they’ve paid for vets in the past. It’d be easy money for Nintendo. We all know the roster is going to get larger. Whose to say who will make it, and who won’t? With a larger roster though, Fire Emblem won’t be “dominating” the roster, and maybe more franchises will get newcomers. Because that’s what seems to be the problem. “Meh, ____ got in when they could’ve added ____ from ____ franchise!”

Luminario

Smash Lord
We could have some FE items if they put some thought into it. There are quite a few tomes that can work as weapons like Mire attacking at different ranges depending on if the the attack input was jab, tilt, or smash, Moonlight that heals after every use, Lightning that attacks twice, the list goes on. There are staves like Freeze and Enfeeble, the Javelin, and the Bolt weapons, so it's not like there's no choice for other FE representation.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
We could have some FE items if they put some thought into it. There are quite a few tomes that can work as weapons like Mire attacking at different ranges depending on if the the attack input was jab, tilt, or smash, Moonlight that heals after every use, Lightning that attacks twice, the list goes on. There are staves like Freeze and Enfeeble, the Javelin, and the Bolt weapons, so it's not like there's no choice for other FE representation.
Plus I don’t think anyone would whine if they got a couple of extra assist trophies

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
What cuts are all of you worried about the most?

With Smash Wii U/3DS having such an incredible roster...an incredible, large roster. There may be some faces we don’t see returning to the fray.

I’ll break this down into 3 categories.

Worst Comes To Worst (7-10 cuts)

Most Likely (4-6 cuts)

Wishful Thinking (0-3 cuts)

I’ll go first.

Worst Comes To Worst: Cloud, Ryu, Corrin, Lucas, Roy, Mewtwo, Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario.

Most Likely: Cloud, Ryu, Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario.

Wishful Thinking: No one.

I was just thinking to myself that the DLC and 3rd Parties may not come back. Especially the ones that fall under both categories. I’d hate to see anyone go really.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can't believe how absent Ghirahim was from multiple list of potential Zelda newcomers. Also, Decidueye is basically weak to every type.

We want Mimikyu.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Oddly enough normally I feel like that would bother me but not really. I really liked star fox zero despite others disliking it for that reason.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Okay since we like to list things.

Name 3 potential newcomers from franchises that have made up the roster of the original N64 Smash Bros. :

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Country
The Legend of Zelda
Kirby
Pokemon
Metroid
StarFox
Yoshi's Island
MOTHER
F-Zero

Also, they must have a fighting chance of being included.
This may be a bit of a late reply, but I'll take part in this little game:
Super Mario Bros: Waluigi, Fawful, Paper Mario
Donkey Kong Country: King K. Rool, Dixie Kong and Cranky Kong
The Legend of Zelda: One of the Champions like Revali or Urbosa, Ghirahim and Impa
Kirby: Bandanna Waddle Dee, Marx or Nightmare
Pokémon: Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina
Metroid: Sylux, Ridley
Star Fox: Krystal
Yoshi's Island: Kamek
MOTHER/EarthBound: Nothing really comes to mind.
F-Zero: Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh

That's sort of it, personally.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Not a lot of people really give a damn about Skyward Sword because motion controls, I guess :p
Tbh the motion controls in SS feel pretty nice, but when you compare it with TP's system that included advanced techniques SS feels like a downgrade in some way.
Add the lack of open world issue and Skyward Sword becomes more forgettable.

Still a damn good game tho; Lanayru Desert is GOAT.

For Zelda reps a Majora's Mask inspired Link would be interesting.

With Smash Wii U/3DS having such an incredible roster...an incredible, large roster. There may be some faces we don’t see returning to the fray.

I’ll go first.

Worst Comes To Worst: Cloud, Ryu, Corrin, Lucas, Roy, Mewtwo, Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario.

I was just thinking to myself that the DLC and 3rd Parties may not come back. Especially the ones that fall under both categories. I’d hate to see anyone go really.
I'd happily see Lucina, Dark Pit, Roy, Doc, etc cut if it means there is more scope to get properly unique and diverse characters in their place, across a variety of currently represented and new series.

The only ones which i'd miss would be Cloud, Ryu and Mewtwo. Am neutral on Corrin and Lucas.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
How would everyone react if ARMS got two characters?

Spring Man, and Ribbon Girl as a clone of Spring Man.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Mario: Captain Toad, Paper Mario, Fawful

Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong, King K Rool, Cranky Kong

Zelda: Skull Kid, Impa, Vaati

Kirby: Bandanna Dee, Magalor, Dark Matter

Pokemon: Meowth, Mimikyu, Gengar

Metroid: Ridley, Dark Samus, Sylux

Star Fox: Krystal, Andross (Humanoid), Slippy

Yoshi: Kamek, Baby Brothers, Poochy

Mother/Earth Bound: Ninten, Porky, Flint

FZero: Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh, Rick Wheeler

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tbh the motion controls in SS feel pretty nice, but when you compare it with TP's system that included advanced techniques SS feels like a downgrade in some way.
Add the lack of open world issue and Skyward Sword becomes more forgettable.

Still a damn good game tho; Lanayru Desert is GOAT.
Yeah I kinda missed the Secret Sword techniques in Skyward Sword as well. But some of them still where in, like the finishing stab ( D - Air) for example. Overall it added more strategy to the combat. Like how certain enemies would block your attacks. Can't say any combat system in ANY Zelda game can compare to Skyward Sword's because of that. It adds debt to the gameplay, and Zelda needed that.

Lanayru Desert indeed was all sorts of amazing though. But in general, I thought Skyward Sword most excelled in its dungeons. Those where really well done. And the music!!

Skyward Sword Zelda basically was BEST Zelda. And you all know this deep in your hearts to be the absolute truth.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Or just that there's other characters they think are more likely.

Motion controls are a turn-off for some games, though, at least, imo.
Potential means characters with the most obvious sources for moves that can be implanted in Smash.

The likeness of the character had no say because, its already discussed to death.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'd happily see Lucina, Dark Pit, Roy, Doc, etc cut if it means there is more scope to get properly unique and diverse characters in their place, across a variety of currently represented and new series.
The problem is that 1 clone =/= 1 unique character

If I recall correctly, the 6 clones in Melee were added because it would take less time and add more roster space than a single, unique character.

On top of that, Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario were put as clones near the end of Smash 4's development and were never planned to be actual characters for most of the development time; they were extra slots added in the end which never took any other spot for other characters.

As for Roy, he was chosen as the DLC Melee vet after the game was already released. With Doc already back, Mewtwo already added as the first DLC, Toon Link replacing Young Link and Ice Climbers being impossible because 3DS, there was only him or Pichu left to represent the cut Melee characters.

Not to mention that he's mechanically one of the most unique clones of the bunch, since he has different sweetspot locations, which leads to him having a completely different playstyle than Marth.

Anyway, my point is that clones do not remove any potential for uniqueness since Sakurai usually adds them after everyone else as "extras".

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i Smashified Culex can i have a cookie?

seriously it was too easy to make i just used:
-Jin (hair)
-Devil Kazuya (body)
-Roy (red hair)
-Darkrai (tail)
-some random crystals and and wings and horns images on google

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

Most Likely (4-6 cuts)

I’ll go first.

Worst Comes to Worst: Cloud, Falco, Lucario, Greninja, Dr. Mario, Lucina, Dark Pit, Corrin.

Most Likely: Cloud, Greninja, Dr. Mario, Corrin.

How would everyone react if ARMS got two characters?

Spring Man, and Ribbon Girl as a clone of Spring Man.
Depends on what the rest of the roster looked like. If they were the only two newcomers we got I would be pretty unhappy with that but I'm guessing that's not part of the scenario.

D

Deleted member

What time do you all predict Smash for Switch will be announced? If it is announced the Smash community is going to get wild.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If it is announced the Smash community is going to get wild.
Well, yeah, new Smash. How could we not?

What time do you all predict Smash for Switch will be announced? If it is announced the Smash community is going to get wild.
Since Melee, Smash games typically get a reveal trailer 5 years after the previous game and released 2 years after said trailer.

If the pattern stays, I'm expecting a 2019 announcment. It could happen before, I'm just basing myself off of a pattern that was around for two games in a row.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Most Likely (4-6 cuts)

I’ll go first.

WCTW: Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, Cloud, Corrin, Bowser.Jr, Ryu, Bayonetta, Miis

Most Likely: Cloud, Lucina, Miis

Wishful Thinking: Charizard None.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Most Likely (4-6 cuts)

I’ll go first.

Worst Case Scenario: Literally half the roster in a full series reboot.

Most Likely: Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, Roy, Lucas, and if custom moves don't return, the three Mii Fighters (in this scenario I'd see them replaced with a single, non-custom-move-but-still-able-to-be-personalized-with-appearance-and-outfit Mii).

Wishful Thinking: None.

D

Deleted member

Most Likely (4-6 cuts)

I’ll go first.

Let Grandma Shizuka tell you something: I, a Christian woman 56 years of age, play Tekken alongside Smash and I tend not to have any favorite characters and that I just play them all. There were almost 35 characters in Tekken Tag Tournament (not counting palette swaps) and that got reduced to 19 for Tekken 4 (again not counting palette swaps), which did not worry me one bit. Now, especially since most of them returned for future installments. No matter what a new Smash brings us, I'll miss the cut characters the same as anyone else, and this is why I'll return to the older Smash or Tekken games every now and then.

That said, I'll tell y'all one damn thing: I better see my girl :4bayonetta2: for the next Smash since, besides :4peach: and :rosalina:, I care about her and love her.

Sayonara :kirby:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom