• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Haha R.O.B will never be cut, especially with its significance in Brawl. If you state it as even likely otherwise, its because you probably have something against the character.

R.O.B is completely unique, physically and emotionally.
...Did you even read my post? Literally the first sentence in the part about R.O.B. explains why I don't think he'll ever be cut from a Smash game.

Hoo boy, that's tough.

:4drmario::4lucas::4feroy:
These three have good odds of being cut in general, IMO.

And if I had to go further...
:4sheik::4zss:
Naturally these two would never be cut, but if it were up to me, I'd want to cut them before anyone else, since they're already present on the roster as Zelda and Samus.

The challenge had nothing to do with likelihood though.
I actually considered dropping Sheik and ZSS. Sheik is probably never going to make another appearance in a mainstream Zelda game. I really didn't want to cut ZSS though. Even if she's the same character, we're very lucky to have a second Metroid rep.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I can't see characters getting cut for a second time to be honest. Even if they're clones.

Unless there was a mass exodus through a new game or something. Hopefully that never happens.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
So I have a challenge for everyone. Let's say that you were in charge of cutting five characters from the next Smash game. Here's the catch - none of the characters can be Smash 4 newcomers. Who would you cut and why?

If it were up to me, I'd probably cut...

:4drmario:: He's a clone character and not incredibly important to the Mario series. I'd like to think that dropping the Doc wouldn't be nearly as devastating as it would be with the more unique Mario characters.

:4feroy:: Roy is actually my second choice when it comes to cutting FE characters. However, since he's a semi-clone and the FE franchise already has 5 other characters (and will undoubtedly receive more in the future), I think he's more dispensable compared to the others.

:4rob:: No character has ever gotten cut for a lack of popularity, and I certainly don't think R.O.B. will ever be seriously considered as a potential cut in the future. Still, most of the veterans on the roster seem far too important to cut. Due to a lack of options, I'm forced to drop this lovable piece of Nintendo history from the roster.

:4lucas:: This was the hardest one for me to choose. To be blunt, EarthBound will NEVER get another character unless Nintendo finally does something with the series. I really don't want to ditch one of the only two EarthBound characters that Smash will ever get, but Lucas just isn't nearly as important as the other guys.

:4jigglypuff:/:4mewtwo:: Pokémon already has a hefty number of characters, so I think it can afford to take a hit. Neither of these two deserve to be cut, but Pikachu, Charizard, and Lucario are just so much more prominent. I would've liked to have picked Greninja, but the rules prevented me from doing so. At the end of the day, I have to choose what's more important to me. Do I keep the classic yet irrelevant character that's been here since the beginning, or side with the iconic Pokémon that's garnered a decent amount of fans from both it's own franchise and the Smash games?
I would cut:
:4drmario::4myfriends::4rob::4charizard::4falco:
Simple like this

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
So I have a challenge for everyone. Let's say that you were in charge of cutting five characters from the next Smash game. Here's the catch - none of the characters can be Smash 4 newcomers. Who would you cut and why?
Oh that's easy for me.
:4drmario: Boring clone. Some people would miss him; not enough for me to care though.
:4feroy: Boring clone. It's not like we aren't already pleasing enough fans with the FE characters we've already included.
:4charizard: I'm only interested in :4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo: and whichever Pokemon is being heavily promoted in the most recent/upcoming game.
:4rob: Important piece of history, but we don't need to spend all that time making him a full playable character.
:4sheik: Like what am I even supposed to say for this. It's Zelda dressed as a ninja with some made-up moves. Her inclusion in the first place baffled me.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180

:4drmario:: He's a clone character and not incredibly important to the Mario series. I'd like to think that dropping the Doc wouldn't be nearly as devastating as it would be with the more unique Mario characters.

:4feroy:: Roy is actually my second choice when it comes to cutting FE characters. However, since he's a semi-clone and the FE franchise already has 5 other characters (and will undoubtedly receive more in the future), I think he's more dispensable compared to the others.

:4rob:: No character has ever gotten cut for a lack of popularity, and I certainly don't think R.O.B. will ever be seriously considered as a potential cut in the future. Still, most of the veterans on the roster seem far too important to cut. Due to a lack of options, I'm forced to drop this lovable piece of Nintendo history from the roster.

:4lucas:: This was the hardest one for me to choose. To be blunt, EarthBound will NEVER get another character unless Nintendo finally does something with the series. I really don't want to ditch one of the only two EarthBound characters that Smash will ever get, but Lucas just isn't nearly as important as the other guys.

:4jigglypuff:/:4mewtwo:: Pokémon already has a hefty number of characters, so I think it can afford to take a hit. Neither of these two deserve to be cut, but Pikachu, Charizard, and Lucario are just so much more prominent. I would've liked to have picked Greninja, but the rules prevented me from doing so. At the end of the day, I have to choose what's more important to me. Do I keep the classic yet irrelevant character that's been here since the beginning, or side with the iconic Pokémon that's garnered a decent amount of fans from both it's own franchise and the Smash games?
I call this the 'saving Krysco's wallet' version of Smash 5 because I wouldn't even buy the game if it had some of these cuts:
:4jigglypuff:Idgaf about her being one of the original 12. She was a late addition to Brawl and got no patch attention in Sm4sh so the dev team clearly don't care about her that much and I'd much rather them just take her out if they're gonna care so little about the character. Spend that time elsewhere.
:4feroy:One of my secondaries but he's also the only FE character in Smash history that westerners can't legally have an attachment to outside of Smash. Plus he's still just 'what if we took Marth and reversed his sword?' the character.
:4ganondorf:One of my favourite characters in Smash history, used him in every game, yes, even Brawl. That being said, he's still a Falcon clone and what few changes they've made to make him more like Ganondorf doesn't change the fact that he doesn't use his sword in his natural moveset nor does he use actual magic.

Next 2 spots could go to a few characters honestly
:4dedede:because he's almost as bad as Puff when it comes to patch attention, getting nerfed when he was already terrible.
:4drmario:Easy pick since he's a clone. Has it even worse since at least the likes of Luigi, Young/Toon Link, Ganondorf, Lucina, Dark Pit and Roy have their own unique personalities separate from who they're based on. Doc is still Mario just with different idle animations and taunts.
:4falco:Been gutted from what he once was in Melee and Brawl and they didn't bother to give him much in Sm4sh to compensate. Sides, it wouldn't be the first time they took out a Starfox character and they treat the series as a test subject for stupid controls nowadays anyways.
:4lucas::4wario:These 2 just go to my own personal lack of care towards them. Lucas wasn't important enough to get into the base game of Sm4sh and Wario is actually being made to be more in line with Mario and Luigi than being his own character. His usmash got turned into a back to forward headbutt from the spin it was in Brawl, his fsmash is a punch rather than his Wario Land shoulder bash and his fthrow and bthrow were swapped making the latter the same as the ones the Mario Bros. have.
:4pit:More lack of caring but also having the benefit of being completely out of place since this challenge implies all Sm4sh newcomers would come back. A Smash game with Palutena and Dark Pit but no Pit. Wtaf.
:4sheik:Has only been in 1 Zelda game and my far bigger reason is if they choose to keep her and Zelda separate, I'd rather they just take out Sheik and put some of her moves or attributes onto Zelda.

If I had to pick just 5 it'd be :4jigglypuff::4feroy::4ganondorf::4falco::4drmario: with the middle 3 being enough to make me not buy the game. I'd save $90 (no seriously, Switch games are $90 in Canada for some reason and it doesn't matter if they're bought physically or digitally smh.)

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

I'd cut :4sheik::4zss::4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit:

Yeah, I took the easy way out on this one.

D

Deleted member

I'll have to get a prediction roster up soon, especially if we get a Smash game announcement sometimes next year. Remember that Nintendo could drop a big reveal like this on us at any point.

:4jigglypuff::4drmario::4falco::4tlink:

These four are easy for me because I don't care about them at all. Jigglypuff is an old relic of the past and the latter three are semi-, if not mostly clones of the respective characters they are derivatives of.

Oh, a fifth one. Dang, this is a toughie...

Eh, I'll just go with :4ganondorf:. I can't ever imagine playing as him although I'll admit I would not want to let him go simply because of how important he is to The Legend of Zelda.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm glad Smashboards isn't in charge of the next Smash

If it were me, original 12 and single red characters would be untouchable, ESPECIALLY the original 12.

If I had to cut 5 not introduced in Smash Wii U

:4drmario::4feroy: Because they are clones from franchises that already have a lot of characters
:4sheik: Because she is a form of a character that was only in one game, although it would be a difficult cut. I'd keep Toon Link because he has a few games and it's good to have a Toon character imo

:4lucas: Because Earthbound is kinda small and Lucas is just a semi clone. Normally I'd say he's different enough but this is hard

:4zss: But I'd make sure with everything in my power we got Ridley, but I'd protest this stupid game, I feel it's important for Samus to show her face. I'd never cut her normally

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to cry in my room

Looking at diversity of the series and variety when factoring cuts.

:4drmario: Like Doc, but too similar to the Mario Bros. One Mario is adequate. Easy pick.

:4feroy: Considering the glut of FE characters an easy pick

:4ganondorf: Like Dorf, but the way he's been portrayed in the series hurts. Proper Ganondorf or Beast Ganon please.

:4falco: See Doc

:4lucas: See Doc

Sheik or Jigglypuff would be the next cab off the rank.

4 out of 5 newcomers from Melee :/

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Most of you chose characters I would've expected. There were a few surprises that I didn't see coming.

So I think almost everyone can agree that :4drmario::4feroy::4lucas:are easy choices. All three are clone characters and none of them really seem to be "must have" characters.

Personally, I would've kept :4sheik::4zss:, but I can understand why someone would cut them. Both are essentially an existing character in a different outfit. My only gripe is that cutting :4sheik:would leave us with two unique Zelda characters and that cutting :4zss:leaves us with only one Metroid character (And working with Sakurai on adding Ridley has been a long painful process).

I knew from the beginning that :4jigglypuff::4rob: would be controversial. Cutting :4jigglypuff: really just depends on whether or not you feel like her "original 12" status is enough to warrant her staying in Smash. I mean, that's honestly the only thing she's had going for her since Brawl. :4rob: is a unique character, but I decided to cut him in my roster because I felt like the other semi-clones (:4ganondorf::4falco::4tlink:) were far more important and would cause more heartache among the Smash fanbase. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking that way, but it feels like the right decision.

Now :4ganondorf::4falco::4charizard: really surprised me. I know :4ganondorf: is a joke in Smash, but he's kinda the main antagonist of the Zelda franchise. Even if they replaced him with Ganon, I don't think that would sit well. Cutting :4falco: would leave the Star Fox franchise with one character. I haven't played it yet, but...was Zero really THAT bad? I saw a few people pick :4charizard:. I'd really like someone who picked him to explain why they feel like he should be cut before :4jigglypuff::4mewtwo:(and to a lesser extent :4lucario:). I know from experience that trying to cut a Pokemon character is tough, but wouldn't :4charizard: be a priority over the other guys? He's a huge icon for the franchise, and he's certainly remained relevant over the years.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Dr. Mario - It was kind of funny to see Dr. Mario be the returning melee vet over the more popular and likely choice Mewtwo but that has now come and gone leaving little reason for Dr. Mario to stay.

Roy - I feel like cuts are coming to Fire Emblem due to pretty much everyone agreeing they are over-represented Roy has been cut before and does not add much to the table.

Lucas - Has been cut before and is similar to Ness. Even though I prefer his character and play style I just do not see him ever replacing series icon Ness and I still just can not justified having them both there anymore.

Toon Link - Does not really add anything to the table at the end of the day. I do not see them ever removing classic Link and with the popularity and potential in Champion Link I think his spot is even less justified.

Falco - Not going to lie I have grown to dislike Falco because I would really prefer Wolf to be the 2nd Star Fox character because I enjoy both his character and play style a lot more.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I’ll cut Young Link.

Not toon Link.

Young Link.

I’m done with cuts. Screw the rules.

A Xenoblade newcomer? I mean it will depend on the sales of XC2. If it outsells the first... really good odds.

D

Deleted member

The fact that anyone wants to cut characters really hurts me. I do not mind clone characters and it is a nice addition to the series. Remember, Sakurai said that clone characters will not harm other characters' potential chances. They should add a lot of characters and not remove any. The roster can probably go more than sixty in Smash for Switch. I love every character in Smash 4, they make Smash - Smash! No removing any characters. Bye.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>Me coming into thread.
>Sees roster cut discussion.
>Sees a number of personal favourites commonly put up for cuts
>Is relieved the fanbase doesn't decide the roster....

I'm happy that Sakurai thinks about the fans of every character, no matter how minor they may be and tries to bring back as many as he can with the amount of time he has. Here's hoping the vast majority of the cast returns again for the next Smash.

Last edited:
Guys.

Someone brought up a concept on cutting. People participated. Not everyone is saying they want everyone cut. They are following the rules of a speculation game. Don't complain about other people doing cuts when that is literally the topic they are responding to.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The fact that anyone wants to cut characters really hurts me. I do not mind clone characters and it is a nice addition to the series. Remember, Sakurai said that clone characters will not harm other characters' potential chances. They should add a lot of characters and not remove any. The roster can probably go more than sixty in Smash for Switch. I love every character in Smash 4, they make Smash - Smash! No removing any characters. Bye.
You also have to remember that Sakurai also said that cuts are a normal and necessary part of making a Smash game.

Believe me, if every character came back from Smash 4, I'm not gonna complain. No one should want a character cut just because they find enjoyment in seeing people get upset over it. That being said, I'm also not going to expect every character from Smash 4 to return. Doing that would just set me up for disappointment if cuts really do happen.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Let's say the new Smash comes with the Smash 4 roster plus five new characters.

You work in development and have the option to cut anyone from the Smash 4 roster. If you do, you get to add two new additional characters.

How many do you cut?

D

Deleted member

Guys.

Someone brought up a concept on cutting. People participated. Not everyone is saying they want everyone cut. They are following the rules of a speculation game. Don't complain about other people doing cuts when that is literally the topic they are responding to.
Are you applying to my post? ( Do not worry if you say yes; I am not mad at all ). I will not be mad if a character gets cut I am just sharing my opinion. I am not forcing anyone to stop them from posting and forcing them to agree with my opinion. I do agree with you; you do make a good point.

What characters would you want cut? Just curious. I personally do not want any characters cut but that is just my opinion.

I did not see this, well I should pay attention more. I do not know who should get cut if I had to cut - that is a good question. Apologies about that post; I just want to say that no character should get cut in the thread.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I'd cut (forgive me for only selecting 3 and not 5)
:4lucina:
:4darkpit:
:4drmario:

Honestly I don't dislike all clones, some feel like they have a degree of identity (like Falco), but some are just too much. Honestly, I can't think of any more. I really don't dislike anyone else, I feel apathy at worst towards a small handful of characters (including these 3).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

You work in development and have the option to cut anyone from the Smash 4 roster. If you do, you get to add two new additional characters.

How many do you cut?
I cut no one. Even with my personal biases, I feel it's wrong to cut others. I can tolerate blatant replacements that make sense(Young Link to Toon Link and other Zelda characters getting blatant redesigns, who coincidentally aren't the same person anyway, like OOT Link and TP Link are very different), as long as it doesn't completely remove their playstyle.

Anyway, for my five, Inkling, Spring Man, King K. Rool, Mimikyu, Wolf. If solely newcomers, Wolf can be replaced with Krystal.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I saw a few people pick :4charizard:. I'd really like someone who picked him to explain why they feel like he should be cut before :4jigglypuff::4mewtwo:(and to a lesser extent :4lucario:). I know from experience that trying to cut a Pokemon character is tough, but wouldn't :4charizard: be a priority over the other guys? He's a huge icon for the franchise, and he's certainly remained relevant over the years.
The problem with cutting the Pokemon that we currently have on the roster is that all of them besides :4jigglypuff: have remained relevant and are still relevant today (although time will tell how relevant :4greninja: stays) and she has the original 12 status to back her up.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem with cutting the Pokemon that we currently have on the roster is that all of them besides :4jigglypuff: have remained relevant and are still relevant today (although time will tell how relevant :4greninja: stays) and she has the original 12 status to back her up.
She's also had various relevancy among spin-offs, and just returned in the anime too. Mewtwo and Jigglypuff pretty much had about the same relevancy overall among the various media, which is saying a lot. Greninja probably will stay due to extreme popularity. Mewtwo is the only one other than Jigglypuff that has proven to be lower priority.

Luminario

Smash Lord
:4jigglypuff:did gain a surge in relevancy again around Gen 6 thanks to the Fairy re-typing, even though it didn't come across in gameplay. Losing Jiggs means we also lose the only cutesy feminine Pokemon on the roster. I have a feeling :4greninja:will probably stick around for another game or two before his chances are a bit more questionable, so at this point :4mewtwo:is once again the next likeliest to be cut unfortunately. Mewtwo just can't catch a break.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Wow, I never knew so many people had it out for Sheik. I thought she was extremely well liked in the Smash Community.
Keep in mind that the situation we were in wouldn't allow us to cut any Smash 4 newcomers. I'm sure people would rather dismiss one or more of those 19 characters before Sheik.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

How many do you cut?
So unless I'm misunderstanding this, I get two new characters for each cut one?

Cut the three Mii Fighters, saving six slots. One of those would be a general Mii that has a set moveset, but is otherwise still customizable. That leaves five free slots, plus the five new ones. One slot will be used to bring the Ice Climbers back. Then I add nine newcomers: Captain Toad, Darunia, Chrom, Celica, Decidueye, Isabelle, Inkling, Spring Man, and Crash Bandicoot.

That way there'd be minimal cuts and I'd get almost everyone I want, including a revamped Mii. :p

D

Deleted member

I have a challenge, what character would you want buffed and nerfed the most? You do not have to give an explanation, but it would be pretty nice.

I almost chose :4jigglypuff:, but I have to go with :4zelda:. Zelda has been low / bottom tier in every game she has ever been in. Zelda is also too slow, so her moves should have less lag. Zelda should be a mid tier at least if she gets those buffs. The problem is nobody wants to player her even if she got those buffs because "there are much better characters around", but I hope others give Zelda a try.

The nerfing choice was hard. Maybe :rosalina:or:4bayonetta2:, I do not know. It is just because those two have tools like Bayo's zero to death that seems hard but you can just SDI. Maybe nerf Rosalina's Luma a bit? I do not know.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Hello.

I heard tell that someone (possibly more than one person!) have been saying that, um, my robobro ROB is gonna get cut. Or should. Or could. Whatever.

I just wanted to say that whoever you are(s), you are irredeemable and should be punished for such impudence. Also you're waifu is trash. Now stop with that insane babbling, or I'll be forced to beam you on the cheek. Seriously- there's no way he's gone next game. And you can quote me if he does get cut. :4rob:

D

Deleted member

How many do you cut?
I feel that there should have been a specific rule that you're not allowed to use the clone trio for the "cut one, get two" thing because:

a. People will OBVIOUSLY go for those three because "ew, clones", so why bother even giving them the choice and instead assume they're already gone in the first place and bump the new character count up by default?
b. It's a false equivalent exchange. Cutting three characters that barely took any work in comparison to everyone else and get six additional "full" characters in return? Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I have a challenge, what character would you want buffed and nerfed the most? You do not have to give an explanation, but it would be pretty nice.

I almost chose :4jigglypuff:, but I have to go with :4zelda:. Zelda has been low / bottom tier in every game she has ever been in. Zelda is also too slow, so her moves should use less lag. Zelda should be a mid tier at least if she gets those buffs. The problem is nobody wants to player her even if she got those buffs because "there are much better characters around", but I hope others give Zelda a try.

The nerfing choice was hard. Maybe :rosalina:or:4bayonetta2:, I do not know. It is just because those two have tools like Bayo's zero to death that seems hard but you can just SDI. Maybe nerf Rosalina's Luma a bit? I do not know.
I'd buff Little Mac's Jolt Haymaker to get it back to pre-patch level in the air, or Pac-Man's grab.

I'd probably nerf Cloud's Up Air.

Luminario

Smash Lord
:4zelda: and :4cloud:
Zelda requires such small changes to actually be viable, yet Sakurai insists on keeping her down in a way that feels almost spiteful.

Cloud is on the other end, where it feels like he was designed to be over-the-top in order to give a pay-to-win moveset to a fan-favourite 3rd party character. At least when I get murdered by Bayo I feel the effort behind it. Just like I've said before, he's Little Mac wielding the Ragnell with a Samus Charge Shot. :4diddy:can face the guillotine too but Cloud first.

D

Deleted member

How many do you cut?
Not a single one. Number A: I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings by cutting anyone. Letter 2: Every character is fun to play. (Got that from my stepmother who is 53 years old but I am 56 years old but I digress). What I'll do here is take the same approach as Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection and add the new characters as follows: Wolf, Celica, Isabelle, Ice Climbers, and Alisa Bosconovitch.

Oh, no you didn't...:p Those are my girls you're nerfing, please do not do anything excessive, now. But I shall somewhat agree with you: the only thing I would do is reduce the KB on Luma's up-air by 15%, nothing more. :4bayonetta2:'s 1.1.6 self is fine, thank you.

Sayonara :kirby:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

How many do you cut?
I'm going to break this challenge the same way Opossum Opossum did. ;)

I'd cut the three Mii fighters and end up with a total of 10 slots to use. First slot of course goes to a revamped Mii.

Here I'll change things up a bit. I'll use two slots to get Wolf and the Ice Climbers back, and a third I suppose for Snake as well if he can be brought back. The final 6 slots go to Inkling, Spring Man, Bandanna Dee, Captain Toad, Vaati, and Bomberman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom