• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It was great to have Forcerounds on the judging panel, and I express my sincerest appreciation and honor for his service. If our next judge could express half of such esteem as that which I have afforded to him, I could not ask for more.

I also wish to give congrats to Violenceman for yet another victory. Y'all need to step up your game if you want to beat this guy. Personally, Magicant was my favorite stage this round, but Mt. Oriander was a very strong contender.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I would certainly be interested in judging.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
WARIO (3DS)

WAAAAA! TIME-A FOR ROUND NUMBER 7, LOSERS!
We've reached Round 7 of the contest, and although we lost one very good judge, we quickly got someone who sounds promising, presenting Zzuxon as a Judge for the Smash Bros. 3DS/WiiU Stage Contest! This round will cover the handheld Wario games, that means all WarioWare and Wario Land titles for handheld devices are allowed for this round, stay greedy, folks! And don't forget to make some fun, wacky stages for good old Wario's sake!
WHO CARES!? MICROGAMES, TREASURE HUNTING, COINS! WHAT MORE IS THERE TO LIFE!? NOW GET YOUR BODIES-A READY, BECAUSE IT'S WARIO TIME! WHAHAHAHA!!!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Hello! I'm very glad to be here as a judge, and I'm excited to see some great stages.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Some handheld Wario goodness as a side-note.

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Wario's Woods

Wari02.png

Based on the NES game in the same way the Balloon Fight stage is, except with a few quirks. The main Wario's Woods game will be played alongside the fight. Every creature and bomb are holdable and throwable. Bombs from the game give less knockback than any other type of bomb. They are also the only bombs that will give any of the Wario's Woods style game factors, even though other bomb items will cause the obstacles / puzzle monsters to explode. Tough attacks will also destroy the monsters, but only temporarily. Unless a coloured Wario's Woods bomb destroys a monster, it will respawn in its place soon after. (Its eyes will remain in the background until, to show that it is still technically there.) The stage will start with a randomly preset obstacle of four rows. The player who clears all the monsters out of the stage first will cause a boss battle type of explosion. On occassion, Birdo will peek out the window. When she's there, monsters will fall down. Normally, it's just bombs. (Birdo acts in the same way Wario did in the original. Since Wario is likely a playable character, I felt using Birdo would make more sense.)

A few major differences from the NES game: Everything that drops will be at a much slower rate. The game space is not confined inside the tree where the main action takes place. The tree itself acts as a background object, with the branches as additional platforms. The entire stage is also much bigger to accommodate the action. Also, there will be no Thwomp like creature coming down at the top, which is now a completely empty space. In all, the top and the two sides are the main areas that can be used for KOs. The only other difference is that the only monsters that will appear are the ones that can be defeated just by touching a bomb. (Let Event Mode cover some of the others!)

Another major quirk for this stage is the gems. Like in Wario's Woods, if five enemies are destroyed at once, a coloured gem will appear. Destroying the gem with enough like coloured things (with at least one bomb) will cause an instant KO to everyone on the team of that gem's colour. It only takes effect in Team Battles, though. In regular battles, the gems will still take part, but will work exactly the same as in Wario's Woods: destroying a gem will destroy all the monsters of that colour.

I feel Wario's Woods would work for a 3DS stage in the same manner Balloon Fight does. Retro throwback stages seem to fit pretty well in the handheld, it appears.

MUSIC!

Theme (Wario's Woods)
Boss (Wario's Woods)
Versus (Wario's Woods SNES)
Fever (Dr. Mario / Melee version)
Chill (Dr. Mario / Brawl version)
Ashley's Song (Wario Ware / Brawl version)
Ashley's Song JP (Wario Ware / Brawl version)

Tetris Type B (Tetris / Brawl version)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
First time doing one of these. The judging criteria seems a bit odd, since "playability" seems like the more static the stage is, the better, which isn't something I agree with. Anyways, for Wario, I've always wanted at least two stages, one to represent Land and the other to represent Ware. Now, for both subseries, there have been games released for both console and portable, but one of my favorite locations would be the Golden Pyramid from Wario Land 4, so I'll go with that given the criteria is a 3DS stage.

Golden Pyramid - Wario Land 4

Now if the stage could be considered a type, it would be a Pokemon Stadium type of stage, with a base stage form that transitions between four different other types. The "home" part of the stage would be the pyramid in the center of the temple. The stage would be floating on a flat base, with the Pyramid being in the center, being about as high as Wispy Wood in Green Greens. Now off to the side and in the background would be a frog switch.

After about 20-30 seconds, the Black Cat from Wario Land 4 (or Dr. Arewo Stein I suppose) will jump on the frog switch, causing a portal to suck the stage over to one of four different locations, based around the four main world's of Wario Land 4, Emerald Passage, Ruby Passage, Topaz Passage, and Sapphire Passage. As time goes on in these four stage layouts, the background starts to distort, and eventually after 20-30 seconds, the stage dissolves completely and resets back to the Golden Pyramid.

Emerald Passage

The Emerald Passage layout of the stage would be nature themed for the most part, and based around the Monsoon Jungle level from the world. It would have a rather basic layout, with a medium sized center stage with water on both sides. Suspended to the left and the right of the center stage, and over the water, would be platforms held by vines to the trees, that would swing back and forth. There would also be little gator enemies on both sides that jump out vertically from the water, or attack players swimming on the sides.

Ruby Passage

The Ruby Passage layout would be based off of the Pinball Zone level. It would be much more vertical in layout than any of the other stage layouts, with about four platform levels. Near the top would be Spike Cannons (pictured) which would have spike balls pop out of them and fall through the floor, damaging anyone who gets hit. At the bottom of the stage would be two pinball flippers that would knock people back up, as well as a center gap that people could fall through, to mirror a pinball machine.

Topaz Passage

The primary level that Topaz Passage would be based around is Toy Block Tower. The stage wouldn't have any real hazards, but would primarily be composed of blocks that can be destroyed by two or three strong attacks each. The majority o the stage would be built up of these destroyable blocks, though there would be some underlying platforms to the stage, so that if someone uses a Final Smash, there will be some places to fight on for however long the stage has before its transition.

Sapphire Passage

Sapphire Passage would be based around Arabian Night (mostly because I have to assume that Luigi's Mansion would still be getting a stage, and Sapphire Passage's other stages are kind of similar, or don't fit the theme). The players would fight on the Arabian castle (which you can sort of see there in the background. There would also be a few flying carpet platforms that go from side to side. Mummy Birds (not pictured) will sometimes appear and attack.

Music wise, the two main tracks would be:

Hurry Up! (Wario Land 4) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fihc2ONQ5v0
Green Horn Ruins (Wario World) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRDg17a5fQg

Now that's only due to Sakurai's two theme limit. If I could add in more, I would also throw in...

Toy Block Tower (Wario Land 4) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytuiy4O8Ik8
Title Theme (Wario Land 4) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jocrNBs09Ao
Hall of Hieroglyphs (Wario Land 4) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgJU4q6b890
Greenhorn Forest (Wario World) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxA33Jw61Kg
Main Theme (Wario Land ) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=266LCsg-lkA
Boss Theme (Wario Master of Disguise) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEXdwILAOMg
Terrormisu (Wario Master of Disguise) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysettB1UzTQ
Launchpad Labyrnth (Wario Land Shake It) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgTt8Rn9ReE
Gurgle Gulch (Wario Land Shake It) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_rWRrIE6xg
Neon City (Wario Land Shake It) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaHSPlZAa2Q

That may be a bit much...but there's still stuff I would like to add.

Anyways, that was my first try at this. I may eventually try to make a crummy MSPaint image to show all the proposed layouts, though nothing is that complicated I think. Everything is floating platforms in the end, and no walk offs. While most of the passages are based around single levels, I think they should be updated a bit to mix of the others based on the world's themes (Ruby - Mechanical, Emerald - Nature, Topaz - Toys, Saphire - Horror) and generally things should have a older look to them to match up with the main temple theme a bit.

Edit:

Oh hey, I decided to just go over this, while my mind's on it.

Golden Pyramid Layouts.png

Ugh, I'm not that good at that. Then again, that was done in like 10 minutes. None of them are supposed to be walk offs. Topaz Passage is represented the worse. The multi colored blocks are supposed to be mostly uniform. They all represent something that can be destroyed, and those three black lines are platforms that can't be. I knew Sapphire's castle would come out ugly for me, so I just pasted the background from the game to give the general idea about it.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The judging criteria seems a bit odd, since "playability" seems like the more static the stage is, the better, which isn't something I agree with.
This is not necessarily the case, actually. I've given out high playability scores to moving/hazardous stages before, but it's not too common since these entries tend to be a little too ambitious, in some cases. It seems to be a correlative relationship, but having a non-static stage is not a direct cause for a lower playability score.

For example, I gave a very solid 9/10 score in playability for Violenceman's Mine Cart Madness stage (which ended up winning Round 3), because his design decisions, such as adding platforms to the minecarts and mitigating the intrusiveness of the stage's scrolling nature, made it perfectly playable, all things considered. Another example would be Zzuxon's "Pokémon Snap" stage, which I awarded a perfect playability score to, despite it being a scrolling stage. The stage's unstatic nature didn't impede the player's ability to have a fun match, so I saw no fitting reason to take off points.

By comparison, I gave out a more modest 6/10 for Eight Melodies' Mt. Itoi stage. While it wasn't static, it had a few notable balance problems, such as Giygas appearing to be too powerful of a stage hazard. I have a whole set of criteria that I use in judging the categories, and everyone can be assured that I take these factors into consideration heavily when giving out my scores. The other judges have their own grading credentials, of course, but it's never been official policy of this contest to take points off simply for having a more animated stage.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Yay! another entry! I was afraid I'd only get to grade one stage my first time around.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I find it hard to believe Wario is a tougher franchise than Mother...

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I think anyone trying to attempt anything with Warioware is going to feel obligated to add in microgame stuff, which is a lot of extra effort. Plus, outside of the Diamond City, which doesn't have any real distinctive features, there's not that many good locations. For Wario Land, there's no consistent location outside of maybe the S.S. Teacup, but Pirate Ships have already been covered in Smash. Outside of the Golden Temple though, I was thinking the Music Box world from Wario Land 3 that could have rotating terrain to utilize the 3D function, but that would be really complicated to try to describe.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I think anyone trying to attempt anything with Warioware is going to feel obligated to add in microgame stuff, which is a lot of extra effort. Plus, outside of the Diamond City, which doesn't have any real distinctive features, there's not that many good locations. For Wario Land, there's no consistent location outside of maybe the S.S. Teacup, but Pirate Ships have already been covered in Smash. Outside of the Golden Temple though, I was thinking the Music Box world from Wario Land 3 that could have rotating terrain to utilize the 3D function, but that would be really complicated to try to describe.
Hmmmm...so we blew it?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think there's plenty of potential for Wario stages. It'll just take a little more thought to come up with something, which is what this contest strives to encourage.

Anyway, we're going to extend this round, because no one wants to judge just a couple of stages, and no one wants to win a contest between just two participants. We'll keep this round open until we receive at least 4 more entries, or another 5 days has passed. Hoping to see more participation soon, but regardless of what develops, check back in another 5 days to see results, or 6 if you wish to participate in the next round.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
We haven't actually seen the boxing ring on 3DS have we...?

I think if there is a ring in there, it would be more along the lines of the SNES color palette to stand out. Which would be cool.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
We haven't actually seen the boxing ring on 3DS have we...?

I think if there is a ring in there, it would be more along the lines of the SNES color palette to stand out. Which would be cool.
We've seen it briefly on the 3DS.

I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread, however.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Sorry, guys. I have been drawing a blank for this stage.

I will dig into some serious Wario research this week and see if I can come up with something good for this round.

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Every time someone responds to this bloody thread, I expect a new stage. C'mon guys! If Mother can get a complete competition, then so can Wario!

Dairz

Smash Ace
I've never played any Wario game, besides one of the WarioWare entries when I was in kindergarden or something, soooo..

Last edited:

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Name of Stage: 9Volt's Room
Game of Origin: WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!

Description: The name of the stage is something of a misnomer. 9Volt's room actually only appears in the background. The stage itself takes place inside 9Volt's TV; the background is solid black with a large rectangle box in the center of the screen showing 9Volt and 18Volt playing games on an old-school Famicom system. The default stage layout is just a plain grey rectangle platform with no other elements. However, this version does not last for long, as 9Volt is constantly switching out the game inside his Famicom and this layout only shows up while there is no game loaded in the machine. The rest of the time, you will get one of the following stages, rendered in 8-bit graphics:
  • Super Mario Bros: The stage platform becomes bricks like the original Mario Bros game. Hovering over the center of the platform is a line of four brick blocks with a question mark block in the middle. The right side of the main platform also has a horizontal pipe sticking out of it, extending the length of the fighting field.
  • Legend of Zelda II: The stage platform will take on the appearance of a dungeon area. The middle of the stage will turn into a pit, leaving two halves to the main arena. There are passable platforms overhead, with one lower in the middle and two higher ones off the far side of each main section that move back and forth slowly.
  • Wrecking Crew: The main stage will take on a metal appearance and a passable platform of equal length will appear high above the main platform. Each side of the stage will have a ladder connecting the bottom platform to the top one.
  • Excite Bike: The main stage will become a dirt with a large hill in the center of the stage with a short flat portion at the top, as well as small ramps at each end of the stage. There will be a dirt platform off the left side of the stage that will crumble away as long as a character is standing on it.
  • Duck Hunt: The main stage will become grassy and knee-tall grass will obscure the bottom of character's legs and any small items. A tree to the left of the stage has a single branch with leaves that can act as a passable platform, as can the leafy area at the top of the tree.
  • Hogan's Alley: The main stage will turn to grey stone and a tall shop with a second-floor balcony will appear in the center of the stage. The second floor balcony can be used as passable platform.

Gimmicks/Hazards: The main gimmick of the stage is that the stage morphs depending on the cartridge in the Famicom. When a game is inserted into the machine, the stage will transform from the bottom of the main platform to the top, row by row. When a game is removed from the Famicom, all the pixels of the current stage will crumble away and fall off the bottom of the screen, leaving the main platform alone. Keep an eye on 9Volt; when he gets angry and throws his controller down, it means he is ready to pull the game after a few seconds of fuming. Make sure to get off any extraneous platforms or elements to the left or right of the stage that may vanish when the stage location is reset.

The basic stage layout contains no special gimmicks or hazards The sub-stages, however...
  • Super Mario Bros: The question mark block in the center of the brick platform can be hit from underneath to produce an item (if turned on).
  • Legend of Zelda II: Lanterns are hanging on either side of the stage and can be broken if hit, making the stage much darker. Treasure chests randomly appear on the stage and hitting them will cause an item to come out (if turned on).
  • Wrecking Crew: This stage will start with Bowser-height brick walls randomly placed on the platforms. They can be broken down with enough hits.
  • Excite Bike: Run speed is reduced on the dirt surfaces.
  • Duck Hunt: The Dunk Hunt dog will be watching the fight and if he jumps into the background grass, two ducks will fly up in the air. If you jump up under them as they do, you can hold onto their feet and ride them up into the air (jump again to let go).
  • Hogan's Alley: During this stage, cardboard cut-outs of mobsters will pop-up on various locations of the stage for a few second before disappearing. If all cut-outs on screen can be taken out before they go away, food will rain down from above (if turned on).

Unlockable?: Yes

Extras: You can watch 9Volt and 18Volt mash their controllers in the background as they play their game and will actually react to the match if a character is KOed or dealt serious damage.

Soooo busy. Will try and add visuals if possible.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Here's my first entry:

Wario's Shipyard (Mario Kart 7)

I know we already have a Mario Kart stage on the 3DS, but who's to say? This is all for fun anyway.

The main part of the stage is aboard the ruined castle, the fighters are sometimes hit with a wave of water flooding one part of the stage (Creating a temporary "swimming" hazard). No other hazards, though you see occasional racers in the background (Like Green Hill Zone's was)

Here's a bit expanded.

The castle that the course moves around is the fighting area. It looks like this, standard:

And for the most part it's a pretty regular stage, walls on the side but not as irritatingly tall as Shadow Moses was. Water hazard on either side which can be a saving grace.

Every now and then, there'll be a wave that hits one side of the stage, like so:

This creates a slight water hazard on the one side (And this is interchangeable), which will slowly drain at the center of the stage. This doesn't necessarily put you in danger as much as can foil a foe who is about to land a good move on you and then suddenly you're swimming.

I dunno, it's an idea. I think it could be cool. :)

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Here's my first entry:

I know we already have a Mario Kart stage on the 3DS, but who's to say? This is all for fun anyway.

The main part of the stage is aboard the ruined castle, the fighters are sometimes hit with a wave of water flooding one part of the stage (Creating a temporary "swimming" hazard). No other hazards, though you see occasional racers in the background (Like Green Hill Zone's was)
I hate to be a downer...but we're actually going to do a Mario Kart round, this round's for WarioWare and Wario Land games.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I hate to be a downer...but we're actually going to do a Mario Kart round, this round's for WarioWare and Wario Land games.
Eh, let's count it anyway. Even Sakurai's decided to declare Waluigi a "Wario" property, now. :wario:

Crap. I was gonna say something about Club Sugar from Wario Ware but welp, too late :l
No, please. By all means, we'd love to see this Club Sugar entry. We haven't officially closed yet. Ascended's comment was a joke.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Eh, let's count it anyway. Even Sakurai's decided to declare Waluigi a "Wario" property, now. :wario:

No, please. By all means, we'd love to see this Club Sugar entry. We haven't officially closed yet. Ascended's comment was a joke.
Oh okay :) I'll do this either tonight or tomorrow at the latest

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Here's my first entry:

Alrightie, we'll count it, but if you could be a little more specific about the layout? Is the layout the masts that are visible on the picture you provided?

Top Bottom