• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Any idea when the next competition will begin? Looking forward to something I can actually do next time!

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
ofcourse, as soon as I'm interested in this, one of the hosts get banned. Maybe you guys can register some sort of backup judge for the next round or 2?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
ofcourse, as soon as I'm interested in this, one of the hosts get banned. Maybe you guys can register some sort of backup judge for the next round or 2?
Guys, I can still post on my own thread :p

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well, you asked, so here it is. Let's start the next round with....

Mother

That's right! It's time to craft some stages for a much more niche series. We received a lot of information this last Direct, including information on stages. However, we learned nothing about stages from the Mother series, or even which of its two playable protagonists will be returning. As such, we've no clue which game - or games - in the series will be represented with a stage. The series has seen only three releases in its 25 years: Mother, on the Famicom,'; Mother 2 (Earthbound), on the SNES; and Mother 3, on the Game Boy Advance.

Which reminds me. Notice how the header doesn't specify a specific version of the game? That's because for this round, anything is fair game. 2/3 of the series' releases have been home console games, while the third has been exclusively handheld. However, the first two games have been ported to handhelds, so they're technically viable options for either version, though I'd recommend you consider them moreso in the realm of home console games for the sake of variety. Whichever route you choose to take, though, you're still given the same task: This time, you'll be creating a stage for whichever version you please: either Wii U or 3DS. Oh, and remember: No crying until the end.​

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Aww yeah! Finished Earthbound about a month ago, so this will be good.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
SUMMERS
Name of Stage: Summers Beach

Console: Wii U

Game of Origin: EarthBound / Mother 2

Description: Based off of the town of Summers from EarthBound, this stage is fairly simple, with a few platforms in the form of several trees, a beach chair and umbrella appearing for players to go on. The background showcases a pretty sunset and a shining sea. As the fight progresses, stormy gray clouds cover the sky and it begins to rain. The booming sound of thunder and the roar of a fierce creature can be heard, signifying the presence of none other than the Kraken!

Gimmicks/Hazards: The stage's hazard would of course be the Kraken, who would rise up from the depths of the sea, following the combatants while swimming around in the background. The beast can interrupt the fight by biting players, breathing out long streams of fire, generate a tornado and strike lightning down throughout the stage. With the new concept of a stage boss, the Kraken can be attacked and defeated. Upon defeat, the Kraken will return to the sea, but not spewing out a barrage of fireballs onto the stage, attacking as an attack for the slayer of the Kraken.

Extra: Background elements would include cruising ships that get taken out by the Kraken before his appearance, as well as the legendary Tessie, another sea monster.

Purple indicates platforms and the plane that combats will walk around and fight on.

Tracks that can play on the stage:

* [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ff5Xrj5Bo Summers]
* [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D20dF5Ao1mE Kraken of the Sea]
* [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Bsl7P6h0c The Sky Runner]
* [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zskuRy9za-8 Sailing to Scaraba]
* [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zakuhxi_DXo Tessie!]
* [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1uSpQwqZHI Sea of Eden]
* [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl29TKZDh3c Melee EarthBound]

Last edited:

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Ok, time for my real entry!
Yes, it's Threed! From Earthbound! For the Wii U version!

Red: Unpassable ground, you can't go through it.
Blue: Passable ground, you can go through it
Yellow: Breakable ground, if the weight limit is reached or if people are fighting on it for too long, then the banner breaks. It respawns after 15 seconds
Yes there's a main ground, I didn't feel like putting a red line all the way at the bottom.

Basically. This stage will have a day and night cycle. Unlike Battlefield, however, the day and night cycle of Threed does something that is not just for the background. When it's daytime, the battle is normal, fighters go on fighting. However, as it turns nighttime, this is when fighters really have to watch out. The circus tent slowly turns into the evil circus tent (that is near the bottom of the map of the spoiler image) and starts doing some nasty stuff. It can twist around, hurting everyone in the area of the circus. It can also summon ghosts from the graves to pick up the animal cage and the bench, and start moving them, even putting them down in different positions. Finally, it can spit out fly honey in random parts of the stage, and whoever gets on those parts will get stuck for a few sections.

The time where the stage goes to night is random, but nighttime lasts anywhere between 30 seconds and 1 minute.

Unlocked at the start.

Music:
Threed Zombie Central
Porky Means Buisness
Boss 2
Brawl!Porky's Theme
Brawl!You Call this This a Utopia?
Melee!Earthbound

Last edited:

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas

Name of Stage
: Mt. Itoi or Holy Loly Mountain (for Wii U)

Game of Origin
: Mother

Description
:

The beginning of the stage will take place in front of the XX Stone, at the very top of the mountain. During the
fight, the 8th melody will play, and the fight will transition into the area where Giygas is fought.

The layout is like this. It has no grabbable ledges as a result of it being a mountain.

Gimmicks/Hazards
: After the 8th melody plays at the XX Stone, the background will transition into the area where Giygas is fought, as pictured above. From here, Giygas' ship will come down as it does in Mother. Giygas will then attack all players with inexplicable attacks. He will eventually ask a random player if he will join forces with him, just as he did Ninten, and that player can taunt to accept or ignore to deny. If he accepts, then he will continue attacking all the other players except for the one that accepted. If he does not taunt, than Giygas will perform a stronger attack on that person. The 8 Melodies will then play and Giygas will retreat. This will eventually happen even if the player accepts.

Unlockable?: Starter

Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nc83W2Hrsk (Mt. Itoi)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNCNz7w96sY (Paradise Line)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TF8waW3nXo (Bein' Friends)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYqDCPg7GPE (Pollyanna)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwHZwvTdnPI (Smiles and Tears)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idULzIIF950 (Theme of Love)

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Scaraba (WiiU)

Scaraba.png

Based on the area from Earthbound / Mother 2 Scaraba is a vast desert, complete with pyramids. In this incarnation, there are two pyramids. Loosely based on the Earthbound sprites, they also work as stair-like platforms. A fairly basic stage at start. Its one real hazard comes from Dungeon Man. He occassionally comes walking through, destroying the pyramids in the process. He is slow moving, and will not actually harm the players. He's a good guy. His feet and nose act as platforms when he's on screen. He's about half the size of the pyramids, as shown on the image. After Dungeon Man is gone, the pyramids will be destroyed, so the playing field is at least temporarily very similiar to Final Destination. After awhile, the Sphynx will emerge in the background, flash a few times, and the pyramids will regrow. If there's time, Dungeon Man will come back and do it all over again, but he'll come from the other side.

In the background of the stage, you can see the Scaraba marketplace, and even further back, a bunch of ships fighting the Kraken. All just visual things, but they are worth noting.

Music!

Scaraba (Mother 2)
Dungeon Man (Mother 2)
Yucca Desert (Mother)
Kraken of the Sea (Mother 2)
New Age Retro Hippie (Mother 2)
Pollyanna (Brawl)

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
Magicant ( Wii U )

magicant would make a cool stage.

it could say it takes place in '' an illusion in someones consciousness'' leaving the player to interpret it takes place in either maria's or ness her/his mind. it could look like a mix between magicant from mother 1 and 2. being surrounded with pink clouds, the pink shell houses will also appear, also referencing the magypsies but also the dali like objects. it would really show the psychedelic vibe of the games, and the well known goofy enemies from the franchise could make an appearance, such as the french kiss of death, loaded dice, uncontrollable sphere, care free bomb and mister molecule!

just like in the game, the stage will also start changing it's colors after a while, for example, water will become black, and grass will become pink

places like this and the sea of eden ofcourse could he seen in the background, aswell as queen mary's castle, making it an overall composition of magicant

Music -
Eight Melodies Symphony
Magicant ( Mother )
Wisdom of the World / Queen Mary's Castle
Snowman
Hi Hi Hi / Mr. Saturn Theme Z
Magicant ( Mother 2 )
Tanetane Island / Red-Green-Yellow-Yellow
Kraken of the Sea
Open Sesame Tofu! / Funky Monkey Dance
The Attic's a Dungeon?! / Arrangement

Last edited:

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I have yet to play a Mother/Earthbound game, so I should probably sit this round out.

....but I won't.

Name of Stage: Mt. Oriander (3DS)
Game of Origin: Mother 3
Description: Mt. Oriander is a large mountain north of Lucas' home town, Tazmily Village. Lucas' grandfather owns a cabin up on the mountain, which is where Mother 3 begins.

MtOriander.jpg

Alec's Cabin serves as the focal point of the stage. The red line denotes the solid ground the travels the length of the mountain ledge. The Cabin's front porch is slightly elevated from the rest of the ground, but the stool/box on each side serves as a stepping stool that allows a smooth run from one end to the other, acting like a ramp might. The roof of the cabin can also be traversed and this area can be passed through, marked with a yellow line.

Gimmicks/Hazards: At points during the match, you may see members of the Pigmask army show up in the foreground, talking to each other, then making a call on a walky-talky like device before leaving. This is your cue to stay away from the cabin, as shortly after, a lightning strike from Thunder Tower will crash down onto the cabin from above, causing an explosion that will hit anyone in the direct vicinity of the cabin and leaving the cabin in ruins (the porch will still be there, but the roof will no longer be an available platform. After about a minute, Flint and Hinawa will come out from behind the ruins and hastily reconstruct the cabin as it was. The explosion from the lightning strike will deal moderate damage, so try to time your attacks right to knock you opponents onto the doomed cabin right before the strike.

The area of the mountain to the right highlighted in purple can crumble and fall off the mountainside. The ground will become more and more cracked as the ground is trod upon and hit with attacks until it eventually crumbles down off the stage. Once you notice it reaching the breaking point (the ground will have lots of cracks in it), you can plan an attack to crumble the side intentionally to trap opponents or mess with their attempts to recover.

Unlockable?: No, available from the start.

Extras: The cabin shows signs of life while it stands; Hinawa will occasionally poke her head outside of the door to watch the fight (and will immediately withdraw inside if the fighting moves to her porch), smoke will sometimes billow up from the chimney, which can partially obscure players who jump through it, and if you run on the roof too much, Flint will climb up the back of the cabin to yell at you. You will pass behind the clothesline and posts on the left side of the cabin and if you run through the flower patch on the right side of the cabin, you may uproot some flowers or knock some petals into the air. Fassad can be seen rocketing around on his jetpack in the background.

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Now that the round is closed, I wish I had the amount of time to focus on this one as I would've liked. A Delfino Island style stage taking place on the Sky Runner would've been great, but I had no time this week to really plot it all out.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Now that the round is closed, I wish I had the amount of time to focus on this one as I would've liked. A Delfino Island style stage taking place on the Sky Runner would've been great, but I had no time this week to really plot it all out.
It's unfortunate that you were unwilling to participate, especially since we got few entries this round. Luckily, this round seems to have been a case of quality over quantity, so it's still been quite enjoyable.

Do you think that the rounds are not long enough? This might be a good question to ask everyone, while I'm on the subject.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Oh, I participated with a Scaraba stage. I just happened to have a longer than usual work week this week, so I couldn't map out a more substantial stage.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Oh, I participated with a Scaraba stage. I just happened to have a longer than usual work week this week, so I couldn't map out a more substantial stage.
That's right. Scaraba was posted early last week, and I'd almost forgotten. My sincerest apologies.

In other news, grades should (hopefully) be up soon. This is a tough round to grade. We're definitely looking at a quality > quantity situation here.

Grinch21X

Smash Apprentice
I dont know jack about or like Mother or else Id have participated. Held off for next round.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Sorry for the delay, folks. We're waiting on one more judge to finish his grades. In the meantime, we've been getting a lot of requests for rounds, and think it might be time to answer one of those requests. What would everyone like to see for a 3DS round?

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I would like to see a Wario round (Ware and Land). If not, a Mario spinoff or a Fire Emblem round would be cool.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Wario would be neat. I think the Yoshi series would fit well for a 3DS entry as well.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
The final scores are in! Now, you might be noticing that my grades are not included in this post. That is because I have decided to retire as a judge this round. My workload at college is piling up now that the school year is almost over, so unfortunately I have less time to commit myself to Smashboards and this contest. The grading I do often takes long because I try my hardest to give the fairest scores and give the best constructive criticism I possibly can. I wish I could continue, but I think it would be better for me to use my time more wisely. It was great being able to see everyone's neat stage ideas for these past few months. Thanks, y'all!

Now, on to the scores! Which stage did the judges think was a SMAAAASH!!?

Ascended's scores:
Lasifer/Summers:
Popularity: 3/5
Creativity: 8/10
Playability: 8/10
Total: 19/20
Comments: Another lesser known area used for a stage (I'm grading these in reverse order.) I like that you've used the new concept of stage bosses for this one. It sounds like it'd make a cool place to fight, and I don't really have any other comments other than it's a cool idea.
TheUltraDeino/Threed:
Playability: 7/10
Total: 18/20
Comments: This is a cool idea, and Threed was always one of my favorite places from EarthBound. I like how the various features of the city are used, but I would have liked to have seen some zombies (minor complaint, and no points lost for that.) It does sound like there is a lot going on and it would be hard to fight during the nighttime, but that could just be me. Cool idea overall, though.
Eight Melodies/Mt. Itoi:
Popularity: 5/5
Creativity: 9/10
Total: 21/25
Comments: I love it when final areas are used for stages, and Mt. Itoi is a good one. I also like how you incorporated the climatic final battle of Mother into this stage, but I do think that Giygas' involvement in the stage is a bit much. Maybe tone it down a bit, and you'd have an excellent stage.
evildevil97/Scaraba:
Playability: 9/10
Total: 20/25
Comments: A cool idea for a stage from one of the later areas of EarthBound. I like how you incorporated Dungeon Man and the pyramids, and I like the background stuff as well. A solid entry that I wouldn't mind playing on.
Shaking//very - Magicant:
Popularity: 5/5
Creativity: 6/10
Total: 18/25
Comments: Personally, I think Magicant is an iconic part of both Mother 1 & 2. I think it would make a cool stage too, but there isn't much description here of where the players would fight, what the enemies would do, and what else would happen on the stage, so for that I had to dock your points. For your next entry, be more descriptive. (I hope that didn't sound mean.)
Violenceman/Mt. Oriander:
Popularity: 4/5
Total: 21/25
Comments: A Mother 3 stage that is actually playable! I like all the little touches and cameos you added to this stage. I also think this stage has a nice balance between the hazards and being a viable fighting arena. Good job!

BridgesWithTurtles' scores:
Summers Beach by Lasifer
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 6/10
Playability: 6/10
Total: 16/25
Our first round after the Direct, and we're already incorporating stage bosses with the infamous Kraken of the Sea. I love it. I'll keep this one quick. Summers is a good location choice. The execution is a little so-so. The walk-off design of the stage, coupled with the stage boss, make it less playable than it could be. Trees as platforms are a good adaptation of the source location, but nothing we haven't seen before; it's even been used in another Earthbound stage, in Onett. I like the cameo appearance by Tessie.

Threed by TheUltraDeino
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 7/10
Total: 19/25
There's a ton of fan-service here that I should've expected of this round. Threed is a popular suggestion for new Earthbound stages, so I'm not surprised to see it here, and your take on it is a pretty good one. I like the breakable banner platform. While this is also nothing new, and is comparable to the awnings in Onett, it's a creative adaptation of the source material. The tent turning into the evil version is also pretty interesting, and adds an element of danger to this otherwise manageable stage.

Mt. Itoi by Eight Melodies
Popularity:
5/5
Total: 19/25
I was hoping we'd see a stage from Mother 1 (and I hope to see one in Smash some day). Mt. Itoi is one of the most significant locations in the series, so it's a great pick at that. I have a few gripes with stage balance, however. Notably, the lack of grabbable ledges in the first phase, and the potential for Giygas to be overpowered, especially since the player he chooses is randomized. I also don't see a reason why any player would refuse his offer. There's no strategic incentive to do so. On the flipside, all of this is great fan-service, but I do think it could've been handled in a way that made the stage more balanced. Still, one of the most creative stages this round.

Scaraba by evildevil97
Popularity:
3/5
Total: 17/25
Scaraba is a pretty interesting choice from an aesthetic standpoint. Desert locations are a notably lacking stage archetype in Smash Bros, so it's nice to see you pick a slightly less popular location in order to fulfill that role. It helps your creativity in this case. The stage is rather simple, with its most interesting feature being the Dungeon Man, which provides platforms via his own body. There's a few balance issues with how large the stage appears to be. The walk-off layout, pyramids, and large size would encourage a whole lot of chain-grabs, camping, and stalling. Normally, I'm not too critical about that sort of thing, but here, all of the factors work together to make something somewhat unbalanced.

Magicant by Shaking//very
Popularity:
5/5
Playability: 10/10
Total: 23/25
Scoring perfectly from me in two categories isn't very common, so I'm glad to see a newcomer to the contest, of all participants, manage to accomplish that. Magicant is a great idea if I do say so myself, with a unique visual flavor and a cross-series significance that few other locations, even from a series as wacky as Mother, can provide. You're admittedly a little skimpy on details concerning layout, but if the stage resembles the top picture as I assume, then it should certainly be very functional.

Mt. Oriander by Violenceman
Popularity:
4/5
Total: 22/25
I was wondering if we'd get any 3DS stages this round, and it looks like you've given us the only one. Unlike most of the real stages in the 3DS version, this one seems much more subdued and simplistic, which I quite enjoy. The adaptation of the source material is creative and well thought-out, with everything from the location itself, to the Thunder Tower, to Hinawa, the Pigmasks, and Fassad coming together to make the stage one big Mother 3 summary package. The lightning strike hazard is hardly compromising, which is appreciated. The crumbling cliffside is highly creative, giving the stage some sort of gameplay depth concerning off-stage play and recovering, but it also puts a thorn into the side of the fairness of it all, as some characters will find it much harder to deal with than others. Timing would also be a major factor in dealing with it.

D-idara's scores:
Summers Beach by Lasifer
Popularity:
4/5
Alright, Summers, a pretty remembered location from Earthbound! Mostly because of the music. Now...I feel like the main thing that makes this stage a little boring has to be the fact that it's huge...but there's really not much to it, as you protray it, the place seems really barren and flat, and that also damages Playability a little, along with the Kraken attacks, I feel like less intense Kraken attacks and a more compact, condensed stage layout would've made this a much more enjoyable place to fight on.
Total: 17

Threed by TheUltraDeino
Popularity:
5/5
Threed's one of the main cities on Earthbound, so full Popularity score there. Now, not much here feels completely new, but I do like how you mix up various concepts that were previously seen and add a few new ones, especially the night shift actually affecting the gameplay rather than being a simple visual change. Now, during the night section, I do feel like there's a bit too much stuff going on, especially because the circus tent would have a BIG hitbox, due to the way you're describing and showing it...although it's still nothing unplayable, given that the night part doesn't last THAT long.
Total: 21

Mt. Itoi by Eight Melodies
Popularity:
5/5
Playability: 5/10
Final Boss Arenas are always popular and memorable, so no questions there. Now...I really do like what you did with the whole JOIN ME LINK, AND I WILL MAKE YOUR FACE THE GREATEST IN KORIDAI, OR ELSE YOU WILL DIE! thing, but I think it's a little too unbalanced, like, why would anyone not accept the proposal if there's no downside to accepting it? Also, huge NO to the ungrabbable ledges of the mountain, ungrabbable ledges make otherwise-enjoyable stages annoying, plus I don't know what 'Inexplicable attacks' means, but it sure sounds hazardous, you got great concepts, but they could be fleshed out a little better.
Total: 19

Scaraba by evildevil97
Popularity:
4/5
Nice location! Now, I love the concept of a stage hazard that walks along the stage and crushes the scenery while acting as a harmless platform, feels really new and fresh, and doesn't obstruct the battle, plus I really like stages with walls. Now...I have one problem that encompasses both Creativity and Playability scores, what's that enormous space on the middle!? Judging by the size of the Dungeon Man and the fact that you can use his nose and feet as a platform, the stage feels like it has a huge, gaping hole right on the middle, looking at the ever-so-memorable Temple or the cool-looking Palutena's Temple, a huge stage must never dwell on the same type of terrain for too long to be good, again, I would've liked either a more condensed layout, or a busier midsection, still, sounds like a great stage.

Magicant by Shaking//very
Popularity:
5/5
One of the most popular locations from the entire series, the stage has a pretty enchanting visual style and the way it changes around seems exciting, although Magicant feels pretty flat. I'm docking one point from Playability because even though the upper layout seems nice, you didn't give much detail about anything, so I can't really picture how this plays out. It's a great concept, it just needs to have a little more description of the details!

Mt. Oriander by Violenceman
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 10/10
First levels! Great! Now...this stage...IT'S BRIMMING WITH CHARM! I love all of the little cameos, details and tidbits that make the stage really feel alive and breathing, Hinawa peeking out and withdrawing at the fighting, smoke blowing out, flowers blowing up, the mountain crumbling, kinda gives me the same "Been There, Done That...except it's better now!"feeling that Spear Pillar does. Now, the lightning strike does seem a little too strong, but I have to applaud the rock crumbling gimmick, because this one actually seems like tons of fun to mess around with, unlikeLuigi's Mansion's and Spear Pillar's...I also like the elevated section at the middle, a little different from the usual balanced layout (Flat with platforms here and there).
Total: 22

Final scores:

Lasifer: 52

TheUltraDeino: 58

Eight Melodies: 59

evildevil97: 58

Shaking//very: 62

Violenceman: 65

This game's winner is…
Violenceman! Congratulations!

Top Bottom