• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

Dairz

Smash Ace
Name of Stage: Gateon Port
Game of Origin: Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Description: A nice and sunny seaport full of sailors, with a bright and colorful atmosphere. The stage takes place on the bridge in front of the lighthouse, and there are floating platforms on the left and the right. Fighters are treated with a nice view of the lighthouse, Krabby Club, and a gorgeous ocean. Various water Pokemon can be seen swimming and jumping out of the ocean, like Horsea, Mudkip, Vaporeon, Magikarp, etc. Water is present along all of the bottom part. Seems pretty simpl- wait a sec, is the bridge moving?!

Comprehensive layout: (pretend theres a "can" after color) (You can go through the floating red platforms I just messed up in the picture, oops)
Gateo Port.png

(Thats right, its not a walk-off!) (But I guess the water part is...)

Gimmicks/Hazards: After 30 seconds or so the bridge will rotate slowly from its flat position, to face the lighthouse. Woah! Players will move with the bridge until it stops, if they stand on the end. After another 30 seconds, the bridge returns to the default position. This process repeats for the whole match, of course. When the bridge rotates, there is a 40% chance the bridge will stop mid-way, creating diagonal platforms. After 20 seconds, the bridge will continue onto whatever position it was going to.

Music:
Gateon Port
Aquacorde Town
Crossing the Sea
Surf (Gold/Silver)
Legendary Trio (Diamond/Pearl)

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Wouldn't "Stadium 3" score appallingly on originality?
Not necessarily. The concept isn't highly original, but if something new or interesting were done with it (such as phases that brought something creative to the table) then it would probably score well in that department.

Also, yeah. The round will close today, but we're giving a few extra hours. But anyone still hoping to participate should definitely get in those submissions ASAP. Whether or not we get any more entries, though, the competition should be fierce this round.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Not necessarily. The concept isn't highly original, but if something new or interesting were done with it (such as phases that brought something creative to the table) then it would probably score well in that department.

Also, yeah. The round will close today, but we're giving a few extra hours. But anyone still hoping to participate should definitely get in those submissions ASAP. Whether or not we get any more entries, though, the competition should be fierce this round.
Gonna close the round on half an hour :v Submit dem' stages if you've got them.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I hear ya buddy. If I did something just a touch less creative, I might score well in this competition.
Not sure I catch your drift with this mentality. Creativity is rewarded rather fairly, with stages such as Hyrule River Raft and Minecart Madness taking home trophies. Both stages were highly creative. Hardly run of the mill.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I feel my creative impulses detract from my playability scores, that's all. I'm not faulting you lot in any way.
Ah, I see. Indeed, there's a fine balance that needs to be had for a winning score. This is certainly the case. I think that Ladida Plains went a little overboard, but overall, I don't think your entries suffer from any sort of "over-creativity".

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I meant to submit "Melee Stage: Pokefloats" on April 1st as a bad joke. But then the layout was changed and I got confused.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Are the rounds going to be exclusive to series that have playable characters? It would be interesting having a Nintendogs round or something.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
My grades are done. Guess what guys? You all won! Look under your seats! Everyone gets a new car!

No, but you still have to wait for the rest. Sorry.
Cars, pfft...come on, what people want is a Smash Direct...oh wait...
I'm currently busy as hell with art school assignments, but I'll try to squeeze some of my time to do grades tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ascended

Smash Ace
JOKE ENTRY/JUST FOR FUN!
Stage: Pokemon Stadium 3
Origin: Pokemon Universe
Description:
The stage begins in the basic one main platform/two floating platforms style of Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2. The difference here is that we've got four totally new, totally awesome modes to switch between: DRAGON, FAIRY, DARK, and STEEL!

DRAGON MODE:
In this mode, the players are on a mountain with three spires. Dragon type Pokemon such as Dragonite, Haxorus, Druddigon, Goodra, Salamence, Hydreigon, Garchomp, and Altaria can be seen wandering around, either fighting each other or flying around. Sometimes, the mountain will crumble apart and Tyrantrum will come roaring out, attempting to stomp the players. (He only does this once and will curl up and sleep afterwards.)

FAIRY MODE:
In this mode, the players are in a crystallized forest, with the crystals being all kinds of colors that you would get from a prism. Here we see several fairy types such as Floette, Togekiss, Swirlix, Spritzee, and Sylveon. In this mode, the players can will recover one percent for every two seconds (as long as they aren't getting attacked.)

DARK MODE:
This mode has the players fighting in a city at night, with dark types such as Umbreon, Murkrow, and Houndour chilling around. Sometimes a moon "prop" will float across the top of the screen and can be used as a platform.

STEEL MODE:
Here the players are fighting in a construction zone, with a larger steel scaffolding on the left and a smaller on on the right. The Pokemon in this area are Skarmory, Scizor, the Klink family, and Durant. Sometimes Steelix will tear through the scaffolding, destroying it and causing the players to fight among to ruins.

Well, that's my entry!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
GRADES ARE IN!

[collapse=Ascended's grades]
Zzuxon/Pokemon Snap
Popularity: 5/5
Creativity: 9/10
Playability: 8/10
Total: 22/25
Comments: Of course the first entry is Pokemon Snap! I'd go so far as to say that this is THE most popular Pokemon spin-off of all time. I think there's a lot of creativity here, with the scrolling through the different stages and the perspective being Todd's. A nice overall entry.

ryuu seika/Sushi-Go-Round
Popularity: 4/5
Creativity: 10/10
Comments: Who would have thought to make a stage from the Sushi-Go-Round? Max creativity for that! I also like that other minigames from Stadium were incorporated. Not much else to say other than I'd love to play on it!

SuperMii3D/Agate Village
Popularity: 3/5
Creativity: 7/10
Playability: 9/10
Total: 19/25
Comments: Seems like a big, basic stage. I would have liked to see more creativity, but it is faithful to the source and seems like it'd be easy to play on. Something of a Pokemon version of Hyrule Temple I presume?

Grinch21X/Pokemon Island
Total: 23/25
Comments: And here we have another Pokemon Snap stage, but what I love about these contests is that two people can submit the same location and have totally different ideas for it. I like the seamless transitions idea, and while it is a scrolling stage, it doesn't sound cumbersome to fight on.

Ariand/AEM - Gateway Colosseum
Creativity: 5/10
Playability: 10/10
Total: 19/20
Comments: I've always loved this location, and while I expect and think it'd be cool to see in HD, the fact that you didn't do much with it will hurt your creativity. Other than that, it's a good entry.

Violenceman/Sky Pavilion
Total: 21/25
Comments: Great idea and location! It looks like it'd be bright, fun and beautiful to fight on, and I also like that you were very thorough with your explanation. Not much else I can say to that.

RADSheikah/Pokemon Rumble
Creativity: 4/10
Total: 17/25
Comments: I'm going to take this moment to say that balanced, tournament friendly stages can get a high creativity score from me if the participant is thorough in their explanation of the stage's description and appearance. While I think it would be cool to see the rumble toys in the background, I think there should have been more description on what and where exactly this stage is in the Pokemon Rumble game.

Dairz/Gateon Port
Total: 21/25
Comments: Great idea! I love that most of these are bright, outdoors places. Makes it easier to see your characters and makes for some cool lighting and environment effects. I like the idea of the bridge moving and the water Pokemon cameos![/collapse]

[collapse=BridgesWithTurtles' grades]
Pokémon Snap by Zzuxon
Popularity:
5/5
Creativity: 5/10
Total: 20/25
An interesting start. I'm not surprised that Pokémon Snap was used for source material in this round. It's a cult classic game, so you score well in popularity. I would've liked to see a little more variation here. It's a traveling stage, but the locations are simply background events, and the main platform is your typical Delfino Plaza sort of layout, and doesn't change. This keeps it perfectly playable, but underwhelming in terms of how exciting the stage is. The way that the stage is viewed from Todd's camera is pretty neat, and his interactions with the players is pretty neat. I wish there were more substance given to the "touring" nature of the stage, though. It travels to many different locations, but this doesn't really effect the gameplay. I also find it odd that falling off of the platform hurts the players. It makes sense on F-Zero stages since the platform is travelling so quickly, but wouldn't the ZERO-ONE be going slowly in order to get good shots?

Sushi-Go-Round by ryuu seika
Popularity:
2/5
Now this is certainly unorthodox. Taking a location from a specific minigame from Stadium's infamous collection of side attractions was a pretty slick move. It's costly when it comes to being a realistic pick, but you more than make up for it with your creativity here. The very narrow pillars of plates make for interesting ledges/walls, and the way in which they function has never really been seen before in Smash, nor have many people, if any speculated on the possibility. I think it represents the kind of creativity that only comes about when a location's unique features are used to their highest level of potential. The way that the stage is set on top of the rotating sushi carousel is hilariously appropriate, and the incorporation of and nods to other minigames is a huge plus. I also love the application of the Super Spicy Curry item as a substitute for the original curry from the source game, which had the exact same effect.

Agate Village by SuperMii3D
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 6/10
Surely not a wholly unrealistic pick, considering Agate Village shows up in both Colosseum and XD. It's probably one of the most memorable, revisited, and visually distinct locations as well. This stage does a great job at taking a location with already unique landscaping, and simply using that to its advantage. I feel that this helps immerse the player into the world. Creatively, there's not too much going on, however; you allow the layout to speak for itself, and don't include any sort of gimmicks. I can see this being a fun stage to fight on. With its size, it'd probably be great for 2v2 or FFA matches.

Pokémon Island by Grinch21X
Popularity:
5/5
Playability: 7/10
Not a bad MS Paint drawing here. You definitely put in a little more effort here than seen in most other visual guides. However, you limited yourself because the stage is a horizontal scroller, so it'd be unrealistic to expect you draw the entire thing. This of course makes it difficult to envision and properly judge the entirety of the stage. The seamless transitions are a good idea, making the stage feel like a journey in between environments rather than inexplicable shifts between dimensions. I find it odd that you never do see the ZERO-ONE, though. That seems like an obvious cameo that should appear.

All of these Pokémon Snap stages make me wish we'd get a sequel (and see more content from it in Smash). It's unfortunate that we're not likely to see any Snap references due to HAL no longer working on the series.

Gateway Colosseum by Ariand/AEM
Popularity:
4/5
Pokémon Battle Revolution wasn't the most popular game in the franchise, but I quite enjoyed it, so this was a nice stage to see pop up. You basically make use of the standard Pokémon Stadium stage formula here, but ditch the elemental transformation phases in favor of a straight-up neutral battlefield. It's pretty dull in that regard, but it's hard to disagree that the aesthetic qualities of the stage, such as the brilliant neon lighting, the circling helicopters with their spotlights (which I think should have functioned as temporary platforms), the cheering crowd, the pulsating music, and the booming announcer, would be anything less than epic. This is one of the few stages seen in the contest thus far that I'd actually love to see join the pantheon in Smash 4.

Sky Pavillion by Violenceman
Popularity:
3/5
Total: 23/25
One thing I love about stage picks is when the participant picks a location for its visual qualities. Sky Pavillion may not represent the most beloved game in the series, but this water-laden temple of sorts is completely unique, and can't be compared visually with any stage seen before (the closest thing being Fountain of Dreams). Your attention to detail is one of my favorite things about your stages. Everything about the visual qualities of the stage, from the rippling water, to the physicality of it in response to gravity, to the way characters drip when getting wet, adds just a little bit more to the enjoyment I get in imagining the stage. Tilted stages are something we don't see too often, especially ones that make use of rushing water.

Pokémon Rumble by RADSheikah
Popularity:
3/5
Creativity: 2/10
Total: 15/25
This may be the most playable stage this round, but I've not much else to say about it. It's difficult to imagine this stage offering any sort of aesthetic or gameplay qualities not already fulfilled by other stages. There's a lack of detail that makes it difficult to envision the stage as anything beyond what your drawing offers. More detail would do good in the future for improving your score.

Gateon Port by Dairz
Popularity:
3/5
Another stage from the Shadow Pokémon saga, and I can't say I'm disappointed about that. Unlike Agate Village, Gateon Port only appeared in the second of the two games, so I don't think it's quite as likely or popular (not that either are likely). The way you use the memorable bridge-shifting sequence from early on in the game for your stage's gimmick is something that I feel Sakurai would do, and makes this stage pretty impressive both creatively and aesthetically. It's nothing extremely revolutionary, but it's another instance in which I feel a location was chosen for its potential to be unique, which I enjoy seeing. What an appropriate stage to end the round with, and build a bridge into the next.[/collapse]

[collapse=D-idara's grades]
Pokemon Snap by Zzuxon
Popularity:
5/5
Creativity: 8/10
Alright, the entirety of Pokemon Snap certainly counts as a very recognizable location, because the game was well-loved! Now, I really like how you adapted the actual Pokemon Snap perspective to the battle camera, and although the stage's a moving one, the fact that it doesn't ever land mixes things up a little, I like the concept of Pester Balls and how Todd snaps a picture whenever he manages to hit someone or sees a Pokemon, really makes you feel a creepy sensation of being merely a subject for this dude's photography...the unlock method's really cool and creative too! I would've given you a higher Playability score, but I think that the lower blast line actually hurting characters has to be one of the most obnoxious kind of stage hazard, and the Pester Balls just add to that.
Total: 20

Sushi-Go-Round by ryuu seika
Popularity:
3/5
Now, although the Pokemon Stadium minigames are probably the most well-known part of the first Stadium games, a lot of people aren't familiar with them, especially because they're not the main part of the game. The shifting plates mechanic spices up gameplay without making the stage too bothersome or crazy, and I like how you can still grab on to the top plate as a ledge, even when it can be knocked off...the overall stage layout feels fun and fresh to play on, so tons of creativity, also, the spinning plates with food add a nice touch! Now, I like how you made the food items and the Super Spicy Curry dependable on items being turned on, gives the stage a little more competitive status, but I feel like the conveyor belt eventually reaching PS2's speed just seems a bit too much, especially with the fact that you'd constantly bump into the plate-walls.
Total: 21

Agate Village by SuperMii3D
Popularity:
4/5
Agate Village appears on the two Gamecube games so that probably makes it one of the most recognizable locations from home-console Pokemon games, besides, the memorable visuals are likely to stick with people after they've played the game. Now...I have a soft spot for stages with a more organic, fluid geography rather than floating platforms, but you literally just grabbed the location's picture and made the stage over it...while staying true to your source material, I think it would've been better to combine the various elements that make up the landscape to create a re-imagining of the village layout, as opposed to just using the original layout. Now, the only problems with the stage regarding Playability are that it seems to be a little on the bigger size with claustrophobic spots, and that the blast zones are kinda awkward, but apart from that, doesn't seem too intrusive.
Total: 19

Pokemon Island by Grinch21X
Popularity:
5/5
Playability: 6/10
Another Pokemon Snap stage, full Popularity because the game's extremely loved all-around! The smooth transitioning between each theme of the stage seems like a really interesting mechanic, and prevents the stage from feeling like a disjointed mess, which helps the atmosphere(Which seems to be often overlooked on fighting games :/) But aside from that, you didn't really add anything groundbreaking. Now...scrolling stages will always be a little more unplayable than other stages, and adding both Todd with the Pester Balls and Pokemon that can attack you makes it sound like a stage that fights againist you A LOT...to the point of harming some of the fun, like when Spear Pillar decides to utilize every single one of the hazards on the right order to make you ragequit.
Total: 20

Gateway Colosseum by Ariand/AEM
Popularity:
4/5
Although PBR was a little hated, I still loved it and if there's a popular location from that game, it's definitely Gateway Colosseum, with the amazing, eye-popping visuals that were just beautiful for the underestimated Wii hardware and the overall atmosphere of the place, you truly felt like you were battling on a Pokemon battling paradise. Even though you didn't do much with overall platform placement and layout, I like how you utilize a walk-off with a standard layout, and the things that prevented me from giving you 6 on Creativity were obviously the visuals/atmosphere, with the crowd, and the ever-so-memorable PBR announcer, I guess he'd barge in for particularily awesome moments or for Final Smashes, he'd be a delight to listen to during a Smash match. Obviously full Playability because, well...duh...but you might've played this a little too safe!
Total: 22

Sky Pavillion by Violenceman
Popularity:
2/5
The PokePark games weren't very popular, but they did have a small fanbase and they were really fun...the thing here being that this kind of stage archetype already exists a lot on the Pokemon franchise, when most people think of PokePark, they think of either the starting areas of the game, or the actual theme park, I cannot help but feel that most people will think this is Sky Tower, Sky Pillar, Dragonspiral Tower, etc. at first, and that hurts it a lot as a location. Now, what you lack in Popularity, you make up for with everything else! I just love the natural stage aesthetics converted to a 2D plane seamlessly, with special care to avoid the place's own layout hindering the battle (The support pillars being pass-through is a huge plus!) and the fact that the stage tilts to the side while falling. It'll offer some intense playing ground with the visuals and the altered layout while still keeping gameplay perfectly intact...
Total: 22

Pokemon Rumble by RADSheikah
Popularity:
3/5
Pokemon Rumble has never got much love as a Pokemon spin-off due to how repetitive it gets after a short while. Now...you didn't do much with the Pokemon Rumble aesthetics or traits to make this stage seem interesting or appealing, it's basically Battlefield with a different background, although I do appreciate the little battle going on the background, especially because it works for having a lot of Pokemon cameos. And...of course full Playability, there's really not much to say about this stage.
Total: 17

Gateon Port by Dairz
Popularity:
3/5
The bridge scene has always been memorable, but that's about it for Gateon Port's Popularity...not like the Shadow games are that widespread or anything. I gotta say, I absolutely love when stages are based on a memorable moment rather than just a memorable location, and you nailed this feeling! I haven't seen this kind of platform-shifting before, and the 3/4 platform view looks interesting, although with potential to be confusing. Of course 10/10 Playability because the stage manages to not be a boring Battlefield clone while staying perfectly playable, even on a tournament level.
Total: 21[/collapse]

[collapse=Forcerounds' grades]
"Pokemon Snap" by Zzuxon
Pokemon Snap a classic for sure, but I wonder if its popularity has waned as time has gone by.
The Isle Delfino model is appropriate for the location, I think. It would be fun just to see the distractions in the background.
Kudos to playing it safe in the Playability department while keeping your creativity score up as well.

"Kanto: Sushi-Go-Round" by ryuu seika
My favorite minigame from Pokemon Stadium! Certainly one of the best designed minigames in that game as well.
Once again, great job with the creativity here. I like the plate idea, but I think it's a shame that Lickitung and sushi are not highlight gimmicks/hazards here.
Walls tend to obstruct the players' ability to knock each other off the stage. The exploding electrodes are also quite dangerous, but seem easy to avoid.

"Agate Village" by SuperMii3D
Beautiful location from an underrated pair of games. :)
Reminds me a lot about Hyrule Temple due to its size. The structure of the place seems to lend well to Super Smash Bros. platforms, but maybe a bit more Pokemon interaction would have got your score up higher.
This stage would probably fair better in this category if it were airborne instead of having walk off edges. The location in-game makes it seem like it's floating in the sky despite being high up in the mountains.

Total: 17/25

"Pokemon Island" by Grinch21X
Pokemon Snap reminds me of the good ol' days when it was on the shelves of Blockbuster's video game section.
Making the stage scroll horizontally and having the camera be far from the Todd's car puts the world of Pokemon Snap in a fresh new perspective. That alone is pretty neat.
This stage is not for people who dislike playing on stages like Mushroomy Kingdom. Walk off edges can be a pain sometimes.

Total: 18/25
"Gateway Colosseum" by Ariand/AEM
I think Gateway Colosseum is perhaps the most popular location in any console Pokemon game right now. For fans both old and new, the location is loved simply for being beautiful.
I understand you're playing it safe here. Such is the nature of Pokemon stages based on stadiums.
Actually, stages with walk-off edges aren't very competitively viable. I can't think of a single one that's allowed in a tournament. Still would be a popular choice outside of tournaments.

Total: 18/25

"Sky Pavillion" by Violenceman
Who knew PokePark had such a cool location?
It's interesting that damaging the prism will cause the stage to undergo an angle change.
This stage seems quite enjoyable to play on. The angle change doesn't make it perfect for tournaments, but it's still very good.

"Pokemon Rumble" by RADSheikah
Sorry, I don't see Pokemon Rumble earning many popularity points here. At least the Pokemon Rumble character designs are recognizable.
Creativity is the hardest category to perfect. You should put more effort into your stage design in order to score big.
There appears to be a bit of disagreement amongst us judges about this, but based on the criteria I work with, walk-off edges are not tournament friendly, and earn you a 7 at most. Since I cannot recall a tournament stage that has walk off edges, I believe this score is fair.

Total: 14/25

"Gateon Port" by Dairz
Pretty good choice for an XD stage.
I like the bridge idea. It's the main gimmick of the location translated well into Smash bros.
Water doesn't have much of a presence at tournaments, but they are not quite as annoying as walk-off platforms in my book. This stage seems very playable.

Total: 20/25[/collapse]

Total Scores

Zzuxon: 81
ryuu seika: 82
SuperMii3D: 74
Grince21X: 80
Ariand/AEM: 79
Violenceman: 85
RADSheikah: 63
Dairz: 84

Congratulations (again), Violenceman! Here's that prize I promised! Click to receive your gift!

[collapse=Sky Pavillion by Violenceman]
Name of Stage: Sky Pavilion
Game of Origin: PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
Description: Sky Pavilion is the final area in PokéPark Wii; it's an ancient ruin floating high above the PokéPark and a place of great importance, as it is responsible for keeping the ties friendship strong for everyone in the park. It is a beautiful and serene location, with a pool of clear water fed by several waterfalls surrounded by Grecian-inspired architecture.

The stage uses this layout to it's full advantage. The main platform dips in the middle for the pool of water, with ramps on either end leading in and out of the pool. The water is roughly knee deep on Link, so no swimming will be necessary. Above the pool is the large circular platform held aloft by a series of pillars (which are all background and not actual walls on the stage) that can be passed through. On either side of the pool, there are two more sets of pillars holding up platforms that represent the circular pathway that goes around the stage. These platforms are also passable and the archway and pillars below will be in the foreground, so characters will pass behind them. On the right section, there is running water that has a waterfall streaming off into the pool (with the water being fed from a spout in the background that flows along the walkway until some rubble turns it 90 degrees). Players will pass through the waterfall, but without any noticeable impediment; someone standing right under it will part the waters. The current of the flowing waters above the right segment is not strong enough to affect the players, but will push items off into the pool.

Gimmicks/Hazards: Levitating above the center platform is the Sky Prism, a crystal responsible for keeping the Sky Pavilion in the air. The Sky Prism is interactive and, although it can take some punishment, with enough hits it can be destroyed, shattering into pieces that will fall off the stage. This will cause the Sky Pavilion to begin to slowly fall downward. This will be mainly a visual effect with the background, but it will affect the stage in one major way. The entire stage will tip to the left at a 20 degree angle. The ledges will all still be able to be grabbed and players won't tumble down the now slightly sloped stage, but items that can roll will. The water in the pool will now flow out and down the left side, cascading off the edge. Similarly, the right side waterfall will now pour down at a greater angle. After plummeting for a while (with the ground getting frighteningly close), various Pokémon will arise from below the screen carrying the Prism shards and recreate the crystal above the middle pedestal. The stage will right itself and start rising into the sky. The Prism will be glowing brightly and not able to be broken again until the stage returns to normal height.

Unlockable?: Yes, complete All-Star mode with Pikachu on medium difficulty or higher.

Extras: The stage background will consist of the back semi-circle of the Pavilion, with a bright blue sky behind that. Clouds will float lazily by and all manner of flying Pokémon will pass by, including Pidgeottos, Ledybas, Taillows, Wingulls, and Braviaries. Very observant players might even spot a Mew! Of course, when the stage is plummeting, the clouds will going by upwards and you won't see many flying Pokémon either.

A Charmander, Piplup, and Chikorita can be seen walking around in the background and will stop to chat with each other or even watch the fight if things start getting intense. If the stage goes into falling mode, the three Pokémon will be frantically running back and forth until things restore to normal.

The pool of water in the center of the stage is opaque enough to see through and running around/jumping in it will cause ripples and even splash water into the air if the movement is harsh enough. Certain items, like crates and fans, will float in the water instead of sinking to the ground. Characters that spend time in the pool and/or pass through the waterfall will spend a few seconds "wet" and will drip water as they move around.

Sample Music:
Poképark Theme
Sky Pavilion
Mew Chase
Waterfall Colosseum
Realgam Tower
Rainbow Cloud
Misty's Theme
Pelipper's Circle Circuit[/collapse]

I quite enjoyed the entries this round. Even though you were all limited to the less iconic, home console spin-offs, you guys managed to deliver a great selection of creative stages that would put Sakurai to shame. I probably prefer every stage in this round to the recently revealed Lumiose City.

We'll give it a day or so to mull over everything before jumping into the next round. Maybe tomorrow's Direct will influence what the category ends up being...

Last edited:

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Uh....wow. I did not see that coming.

There were so many great stages this round, I honestly didn't think I stood a chance to win, but I am really glad I did; this is my favorite stage I've done thus far and the one I would most like to actually play. And if Popularity hadn't been reduced, I probably would have abandoned the idea for an Orre based stage, so I am happy that rule change happened when it did. Not much else to say...I am just really proud of this stage and I'm glad it resonated with everyone, despite the source material.

That said, I sincerely hope none of the other contestants are planning to strangle me in my sleep...

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Grats Violenceman, A.K.A "The Champ". Can't believe I managed to get second place, and only one point away from first, too. Looking forward to the next round. :)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Holy crud, 4th place. A lot of great entries this round, congratulations to all participants.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If we do a Metroid round, whoever adds Ridley as a Stage Hazard loses :v

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
As was to be expected, we got a ton of new info on stages today, so the contest will adjust accordingly. The show will still go on, however. We may have to make another adjustment to the scoring, though. Every stage has a 10/10 in playability now. :awesome:

Dairz

Smash Ace
As was to be expected, we got a ton of new info on stages today, so the contest will adjust accordingly. The show will still go on, however. We may have to make another adjustment to the scoring, though. Every stage has a 10/10 in playability now. :awesome:
Wait, wuuuuut? Are you for reals? Hmmm, not sure how I feel about this...

Dairz

Smash Ace
Nah, I was just kidding around. If any of the participants would like to see a change though, I and the judges would certainly seriously consider it.
Oh, uh... I-I knew that! Anyways, I think the grading system is perfect now that popularity has been lowered.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I...certainly don't know what we'll do with the FD-version thing now...Ridley's still flying around on my mind. How should we judge Playability now? Oh, Sakurai, how you surprise me, you even manage to mess up game-related things that aren't even the game itself. Judging only two categories would end up with 4-way ties.

Last edited:

bentendo222

Smash Apprentice
It's funny, they just revealed a Wii U Pokemon stage during Greninja's trailer. From what it looks like, it's the Kalos Pokemon League.

Top Bottom