• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm hoping that's just something that got lost in translation and not Sakurai trying to be cute. Exclusive characters would kinda blow, even if it means that we end up with more total reps.
I don't see how it would blow. It doesn't make a lot of sense considering the transferring of characters from 3DS to Wii U though. Maybe they meant a literal, exclusives tranferring? Iunno. Just speculating about something hypothetical.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Something's fishy here. In the interview, Sakurai said that the number of characters would be the same, but the stages themselves would be different.

The wording there is.....odd to say the least.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
When? All I've heard is that the character amount will be the same.

Also, I'm holding off on dropping my Japanese poll until we get a confirmation on Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man.

Bomberman, and Geno will run this town once Pac-Man is confirmed
I think you may be forgetting someone (Quick! Someone draw a picture of Professor Layton on the Iron Throne!).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Something's fishy here. In the interview, Sakurai said that the number of characters would be the same, but the stages themselves would be different.

The wording there is.....odd to say the least.
Until now situation going on here

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't see how it would blow. It doesn't make a lot of sense considering the transferring of characters from 3DS to Wii U though. Maybe they meant a literal, exclusives tranferring? Iunno. Just speculating about something hypothetical.
I just don't really like the idea of exclusive characters. The gaming industry has gotten into the habit of separating and parceling up content that should come with games by default. Nintendo has avoided screwing their fans over in this manner thus far, and exclusive characters, while not money-gouging, would certainly be a step by Nintendo toward the far more crass policies of the industry as a whole.

Just take a look at, say, Rome: Total War, for example. Nine years ago you could unlock every faction in the game with some simple text editing; now you pay for the Greeks as DLC.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I just don't really like the idea of exclusive characters. The gaming industry has gotten into the habit of separating and parceling up content that should come with games by default. Nintendo has avoided screwing their fans over in this manner thus far, and exclusive characters, while not money-gouging, would certainly be a step by Nintendo toward the far more crass policies of the industry as a whole.

Just take a look at, say, Rome: Total War, for example. Nine years ago you can unlock every faction in the game with some simple text editing; now you pay for the Greeks as DLC.
Sakurai is the last person I would expect to split up content.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sakurai is the last person I would expect to split up content.

And yet he already has done that when he delegated character building to 3DS and the "stadium" to Wii U, as well as exclusive levels.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When? All I've heard is that the character amount will be the same.

Also, I'm holding off on dropping my Japanese poll until we get a confirmation on Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man.

Bomberman, and Geno will run this town once Pac-Man is confirmed
Apparently the comments were edited... So both games will have the same number of characters... but different characters... that's odd, to say the least.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Apparently the comments were edited... So both games will have the same number of characters... but different characters... that's odd, to say the least.
What comment was edited? I was watching that video and the live translation simply said "both games will have the same number of characters". Nothing was said about different characters. It's possible, but hardly confirmed; remember, Sakurai is speaking through a translator, so it'll naturally be a bit awkward.

Different characters would also be a bit worrying as it means that the games would likely have completely different balance. Not a big deal if you're playing only one, but if you want to swap between them, that could be annoying.

I might be OK with characters done as "timed exclusives" that start out on one system and eventually migrate to the other, though.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It is odd, but it's possible. Which is why I'm saying it. Sakurai already smacked us in the face once with the characters he revealed, and stage exclusives, he could do it again.

I might be OK with characters done as "timed exclusives" that start out on one system and eventually migrate to the other, though.
I would guess that's how the exclusives would work. Say, like, both games have 45 characters, but each has three different ones. If you buy both, you could get the complete 48 or something.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I thought people were expecting stage exclusives anyhow? I mean, you'd expect the Wii U version to have big, gorgeous stages that the 3DS couldn't handle, and the 3DS stages to make use of the 3D effect.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What comment was edited? I was watching that video and the live translation simply said "both games will have the same number of characters". Nothing was said about different characters. It's possible, but hardly confirmed; remember, Sakurai is speaking through a translator, so it'll naturally be a bit awkward.

Different characters would also be a bit worrying as it means that the games would likely have completely different balance. Not a big deal if you're playing only one, but if you want to swap between them, that could be annoying.

The comments made in the article about it on Gonintendo. They were taking notes on everything that was said during the interview as they were being said.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The comments made in the article about it on Gonintendo. They were taking notes on everything that was said during the interview as they were being said.
Ah, gotcha. Guess we'll be waiting a while to find out whether it was a mere translation error or if Sakurai is trolling us again.

Still, I can't imagine that Villager wouldn't be on 3DS, so I don't put much stock in the claims that find their evidence in a lack of 3DS screens for the newcomers. If Sakurai is clever enough to choose his words that carefully, he wouldn't allow such a simple slip-up.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, maybe the mii is going to be a 3DS exclusive character and WFT Wii U exclusive

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Meaning he hasn't been added yet?
Probably just trolling. I'm sure that they know whether or not he's in, or at the very least he's far enough in development to be considered a candidate. Unless they really did add people late in development in Brawl? I've heard that Sonic was added pretty late. I don't recall.

Cool to hear that he's still in the running, in any case.

Well, maybe the mii is going to be a 3DS exclusive character and WFT Wii U exclusive
Mii'd fit a lot better on 3DS due to the lower-power graphics and simpler artstyle, though he'll still look terrible.

-Link-

Smash Cadet
I doubt the two games will have different characters, it is probably just speculation brought up by mistranslation. Anyway, if it does happen I will be ok with it as long as all of the better characters are on the Wii U version. :D

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright. Someone give me the link to the rumor.

I want to read this for myself.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Kellz

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissKellyAesop
3DS FC
2466-4507-1948

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That's the one.
Huh, I'm not seeing anything related to Smash besides possible new news that may or may not have been Wii Fit Trainer. I'm not seeing anything about exclusives.

Did notice that Reggie de-confirmed himself and Non-Specific Action Figure though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Huh, I'm not seeing anything related to Smash besides possible new news that may or may not have been Wii Fit Trainer. I'm not seeing anything about exclusives.

Did notice that Reggie de-confirmed himself and Non-Specific Action Figure though.
All he said was "You'll have to talk to Sakurai about that"

D

Deleted member

"-Reggie says having him appear in Smash Bros. would be a discussion to have with Sakurai, same goes for Non-Specific Action Figure"

....so Reggie being in Smash had been brought up before?
If it weren't for the whole Wii Fit Trainer ordeal, I bet people would be ecstatic to kick ass and take names as the Regginator. His body is ready.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm here to kick ass and play Smash Bros., and I'm all out of ass.

And yet he already has done that when he delegated character building to 3DS and the "stadium" to Wii U, as well as exclusive levels.
You know. This reminds me of something we discussed a while back. What if the Mii is Smash's answer to Tekken's Combot? After all, Combot is treated as its own character (though almost no one ever uses it). If this is the case, then this makes me much more accepting of the Mii. I mean, the Mii's appearance is customizable in terms of facial features, hair, gender, and especially height. There's no way they can make a viable character with a key property, height, left as a variable.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Reggie fans can take solace in the fact that Mii's inclusion, if it happens, may as well be a de facto Reggie inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom