• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I really don't think anything today raised Toad's chances. Yeah, he's playable in a new Mario game, but he's been playable in that particular sub-series for a while, and that sub-series already has a recent installment.

Toad's chances are OK, but the new Mario game doesn't really help them. If anything it hurts him a bit because there's one less Toad and the focus will be on Peach, the character who currently uses him as a move, as playable over him.
He's the only Mario character aside from the Mario Bros to be consistently playable in the Mario canon games in recent years though. Toad has a long history of being playable in a number of games that trace back to the NES so I wouldn't dismiss him so readily just yet.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'll accept Dixie. If K. Rool doesn't show, I'll take solace in the fact that Sakurai will at least give him a trophy. At least he's not gone forever. It's just Retro raining on his parade, really. Sigh. But Dixie's back! Dixie's back!

My fingers are crossed that player #4 is either Funky or K. Rool; although I'm not sure, in Funky's case, why they couldn't reveal him initially.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Those don't actually mean anything.

Tron was shown in the background of a stage before her MvC3 reveal. Now when she shows up on stage, her dad replaces her. Likewise, Taskmaster has Aim of Hawkeye yet Hakeye showed up in the Ultimate update with Taskmaster still have AoH.
I guess i'm reading too much into things and should accept video game logic. :laugh:
But none-the-less concern me idk how and if Sakurai will implement such workarounds

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I love that it's pretty much all bets off with these reveal characters. Everyone was wrong, and I love it. Besides Megaman

I think the next two characters will be some of the more "expected" ones, if we do end up getting two more characters revealed.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
He's the only Mario character aside from the Mario Bros to be consistently playable in the Mario canon games in recent years though. Toad has a long history of being playable in a number of games that trace back to the NES so I wouldn't dismiss him so readily just yet.
I'm not dismissing him. I just don't think that him being playable in yet another Mario game raises his chances significantly, for the very reason you cite.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I love that it's pretty much all bets off with these reveal characters. Everyone was wrong, and I love it. Besides Megaman

I think the next two characters will be some of the more "expected" ones, if we do end up getting two more characters revealed.
It's weird we tried to prepare ourselves making rosters and polls trying to narrow down what character is likely to make it. and in one Character reveal Sakurai has thrown most of our speculation/logic out the window :rotfl:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Although, to Toad's discredit, Waluigi absolutely ran away with being the most wanted new Mario character in the last official poll. I feel it's a toss up between Toad, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr at this point.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Although, to Toad's discredit, Waluigi absolutely ran away with being the most wanted new Mario character in the last official poll. I feel it's a toss up between Toad, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr at this point.

See, I'd like to think that, but my mund is full of so much **** right now I don't even know what to think anymore. At least we got Mega Man right!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Weren't the results of the last official poll not released (other than Sonic)?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Frankly, I still don't think that we'll be seeing any new Mario reps. I eagerly await finding out which of us is correct!

I do think that we'll see one of the most-requested fan favorites in the next batch of reveals given that Megaman, while most requested, is not a Nintendo newcomer and the Villager, while popular, isn't one of the most-wanted characters (I think?).

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, right now it looks like a 3DS stage. The background looks like it was ripped straight from Awakening.
I'm just contemplating on which stages Sakurai will choose to make universal and not exclusive. Here are my guesses:

Exclusive:
Mario
Donkey Kong
Legend of Zelda
Yoshi
Kirby
Metroid
Animal Crossing
Sonic the Hedgehog
Rhythm Heaven
Wii
Golden Sun
Nintendog
Sin and Punishment
Xenoblade

Universal:
Pokémon
Fire Emblem
Pikmin
Game and Watch
Ice Climber
Star Fox
F-Zero
Earthbound
Punch-Out
Murasame Castle
Megaman

NO ONE CAN TELL ME WADDLE DEE CAN'T HAPPEN ANYMORE!

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
With WFT being a thing, I feel like Waluigi's chances shot up as well somehow, just from the flow of WTF.

Speaking of Waluigi, someone needs to make a waambulance picture, to fit all of the whining about Sm4sh.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Take a look at these screens... notice the circular platforms on this mysterious stage...

... and look at the center of the new Battlefield stage (Wii U version):

Seems similar, if not the same, for me.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Jeez, Croph, what is it with you and giving people nightmares.
I'm sorry. I don't do these things on purpose. D:

Though, I'm really liking how Mario looks. And I think he's even smiling more! Because of that, he should totally have this as a victory animation:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Though, I'm really liking how Mario looks. And I think he's even smiling more! Because of that, he should totally have this as a victory animation:

Well that's just silly.

And let me return the favor:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Take a look at these screens... notice the circular platforms on this mysterious stage...

I noticed that as well. What I also noticed is how amazing the character models are in the game. Even Kirby looks amazing, and he's pretty much the same! What kind of black magic is that?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Weren't the results of the last official poll not released (other than Sonic)?

Yep. You can always assume a lot of the characters who were popular back then probably scored high. He's seeming to take just requests from everywhere into consideration this time around.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

It reminded me a lot of this screen

P.S I'm in love with DK's Fur! :love:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So we got an Awakening stage?

Uh-oh....

Chrom's fans are gonna go wild with this.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

First off, goddamit Croph.
I wouldn't want to live in your mind. :p

Secondly, I actually would like to see that as a victory animation for Waluigi, I think it'd fit him well. :laugh:
They're both the stuff of nightmares after all. ;)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yep. You can always assume a lot of the characters who were popular back then probably scored high. He's seeming to take just requests from every into consideration this time around.
Which is why it is real funny to me that so many people are down on Villager when he was one of the most requested back during the Brawl days (I certainly wanted to see him). Everyone just stopped expecting him -- including me -- after that Famitsu article. Now he's in, and I'm actually really excited because he's playable.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
So we got an Awakening stage?

Uh-oh....

Chrom's fans are gonna go wild with this.
Chrom or Lucina were already pretty likely for inclusion, and having a stage only helps their chances further. It's not a lock, of course, but at this point I am confident of an Awakening character.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I really like how Mega Man and Villager play. WFT is alright all around. Not too stoked, but whatever. I'm so excited about the possibility of cuts,and version exclusive stuff.

I think this games trailer / presence is better than Brawl's.

That's a small amount of votes if the points are how many times someone voted for them. Of course he's that high up there.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
HOLY ****!!!!

Guys! A Gerudo Valley stage is confirmed!

Listen to the music that's playing at 1:18.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is the poll I was talking about:
Ah. That poll doesn't have anything to do with Smash though (just overall popularity), and it's not the last official one, just the one Sakurai tweeted because Pit was in first.

IIRC correctly another issue's poll didn't even have Waluigi on it, but yeah... I guess that's something. Toad also has a lot of general popularity in Japan though, he places higher on more official polls than a monthly magazine's top 20.

Miku confirmed then (oh, if only).
ikr. I'd settle for Sega crossovers, but no, we can't even get that. :rolleyes:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
This is the poll I was talking about:

Holy crap, Gaius placed on a Nintendo character popularity poll? Japan must really like him. Funny to see Chrom beat out Ike and Marth, although I suppose not too surprising given the hype surrounding Awakening.

That's Pit in the lead,right? Wow. Looks like chances for Palutena, or at the least a second rep, are pretty good. I didn't know Kid Icarus had become so popular.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I really like how Mega Man and Villager play. WFT is alright all around. Not too stoked, but whatever. I'm so excited about the possibility of cuts,and version exclusive stuff.

I think this games trailer / presence is better than Brawl's.
Agreed. While it wasn't "blow your socks off amazing" it had a lot more substance. The surprises were truly surprising, and I like the whimsical take the series seems to be returning too.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Only some Flying-type Pokémon (and a few others) can enter a Sky Battle. Mr. Masuda is demoing now
There was a pokemon rumor with flying battles.

Maybe the other rumors attached to that rumor are true

If only I could remember them

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Anyone know when the Pokemon thing is going on? Next to Smash, that's what I care about most. Dem Fairies. It's like, the Krystal of Pokemon was confirmed. I love it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
There was a pokemon rumor with flying battles.

Maybe the other rumors attached to that rumor are true

If only I could remember them

One of them was that Mewtwo had a second form. Which is looking VERY likely at this point.

Anyone know when the Pokemon thing is going on? Next to Smash, that's what I care about most. Dem Fairies. It's like, the Krystal of Pokemon was confirmed. I love it.
Right now:

https://twitter.com/Pokemon

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Didn't they say it was going to be 90 minutes? That wasn't 90 minutes. Ofc 90 minutes would be waaaay too long for something like this anyway.

There's going to be a video of it uploaded tomorrow though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
One of them was that Mewtwo had a second form. Which is looking VERY likely at this point.

Right now:

https://twitter.com/Pokemon
  • Fairy-type
  • Fairy-types to take double damage against Poison and Steel moves
  • Fairy-types to be immune to Dragon moves
  • Fairy-type attacks to be super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting-type Pokémon
  • Fire and Psychic-type Pokémon to take half damage from Fairy-type moves
  • Sylveon will be a fairy-type
  • Professor's name to be Patrice
  • The first gym to be Bug
  • The second gym to be Fairy
  • The fourth gym to be Fighting
  • The fire starter's second type to be psychic
  • The grass starter's second type to be fighting
  • The water starter's second type to be dark
  • Mawile's type to change from Steel to Steel/Fairy
  • Dual-type attacks
  • A new electric attack that leeches health from the opponent
  • A new form of battling called "Sky Battles"
  • Mewtwo to get two new formes, and each forme is gained through an item in the two different games
  • A new move called Draining Kiss (Fairy-type) that has 60 power and steals HP on a one-to-one ratio
  • A new move called Belch (Poison-type) and your Pokémon must consume a berry first before using this attack
  • Players to see their Pokémon's EVs
  • A mini-game that allows you to boost your Pokémon's EVs without battling
I think these were all the rumors

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh crap, I think the Little Mac, Pacman, Mii thing is legit. Ugh, not sure how I feel about this. I would have thought WFT would have replaced Mii. Guess I was mistaken.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Agreed. While it wasn't "blow your socks off amazing" it had a lot more substance. The surprises were truly surprising, and I like the whimsical take the series seems to be returning too.

I like how... dare I say it... competitively balanced / cleaned up this game seems to be compared to Brawl. FAR less floaty, no tripping, and crap characters are being changed. Namco must have gotten into Sakurai. And I agree, the magic I felt Brawl lacked, has been brought back. This Smash is MY smash. I'm finally old enough to truly appreciate all the hype that comes along with it.

Also, had an idea. What if Toon Link is in the Spirit Tracks level because he's not playable... in SSB3DS. YL is, because of OoT3D, and then Toon Link is playable in SSBWiiU because of WWHD? Could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom