• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSP

Smash Legend
I think whatever control scheme people end up using will be different, but we shouldn't have any problems adapting. We'll be fine.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
I really hope they get rid of that gallery of old video games I always hated how short they made those demos and they were just there to no apparent reason.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Those were like ads for games you could buy through Nintendo's Virtual Console system. Totally unnecessary and a waste of space.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I really hope they get rid of that gallery of old video games I always hated how short they made those demos and they were just there to no apparent reason.
The Masterpieces? Yeah I agree with you. It was a nice idea in theory to have games that showed the origin of some of the characters, but it ended up just seeming like a waste, both of data space (considering the entire game was on the disc), and considering you could only play about a minute for most of them.

I was upset, even though it's understandable, that we also didn't the Fire Emblem (which would have needed translation) and Earthbound demos though. Especially Earthbound. Even though I probably only would have played them once each. :laugh:

Anyway, I would shed absolutely no tears if Masterpieces weren't in Smash 4. In fact, I'd prefer they weren't. They seemed like a big tease and a waste more than anything else, even though they were all good games. One minute demos of good games.... :glare:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
You're only too old if you want to be. :)
If only this placebo effect was true. Once you reach a certain age; and see how the world truly works...

The problem with MadCatz things, is that they are quite "hard." I once bought one for a second NGC controller, and the control stick wasn't sensible enough when going right or left.

Hope someone in Japan like Hori make an alternative.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
IN A LITERAL SENSE they were hardly a waste of space since the amount of space they took was pretty negligible.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
IN A LITERAL SENSE they were hardly a waste of space since the amount of space they took was pretty negligible.
You're right. Literally, they didn't take up very much space. I guess I had more of a problem with 1) Sakurai taking the effort to include a mode this... useless, when he could've been spending it on other aspects of the game, and 2) Having the full game on there, but only being able to play like a minute of it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So was I the only one who originally thought upon their first reveal that they were a great addition? Though, I do think they could have been done a bit better (like for more characters besides the Mario ones, as well as giving us Earthbound and FE3).

I wonder if anyone actually ever hacked them and got rid of the timelimits?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So was I the only one who originally thought upon their first reveal that they were a great addition? Though, I do think they could have been done a bit better (like for more characters besides the Mario ones, as well as giving us Earthbound and FE3).
When they were first revealed, I thought they were pretty cool, although I knew I would never spend much time on them since I had already owned and played all the games (at least on the NA version). I didn't dislike them, but at the beginning they seemed to me to be sort of unnecessary, but still a nice extra addition.

When I saw the time limits for them and learned that the whole game was on disc but unplayable, I quickly changed my opinion of them. :laugh:

I wonder if anyone actually ever hacked them and got rid of the timelimits?
Yup. :awesome:

If the NA version had had Earthbound, and I had never played it before, I might've considered doing this.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
When they were first revealed, I thought they were pretty cool, although I knew I would never spend much time on them since I had already owned and played all the games (at least on the NA version). I didn't dislike them, but at the beginning they seemed to me to be sort of unnecessary, but still a nice extra addition.

When I saw the time limits for them and learned that the whole game was on disc but unplayable, I quickly changed my opinion of them. :laugh:
Yeah, I eventually bought the actual carts of those games so they wore out their welcome rather fast.

Yup. :awesome:

If the NA version had had Earthbound, and I had never played it before, I might've considered doing this.
First Brawl hack that I actually like.

Too bad Earthbound and FE3 aren't on the disk then. Kinda makes you wonder with Earthbound, on just how much control Sakurai (and Nintendo) has over that series.

So what does everyone think of Chronicle mode?

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Even if they did there hacks would be no point because you'd never be able to save it or the game just crash .
Anyway does anyone think there should be new modes personally I think there classic smash mode where you could play in past smash by this I mean you could change the graphics to suit melee,brawl or 64's layout but it seems to me that'd be alot of effort so I don't know if it'll work what modes to you guys think should be added

I'd rather have chronicle in the wii shop channel then I could try demos of old games to see if they're good or not

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So what does everyone think of Chronicle mode?
For someone like me, who has a bit of a Nintendo obsession and is very interested in knowing all the games that Nintendo has published, I found it useful. It helped confirm whether Nintendo owned (or co-owned) IPs like Mischief Makers (which it doesn't), Eternal Darkness (which it does), and stuff like that. I wish the NA version had also include Japanese-only Nintendo games, but I suppose I understood why they didn't. I remember also being upset (though not surprised) that none of the Rare IPs Nintendo published back in the day were there.

However, as useful as it was for me, it was pretty uninteresting to scroll through, and while a nice addition, I felt that it was a bit unnecessary for Brawl. I'm guessing that the large majority of people who played Smash looked at the Chronicle once or twice and didn't care about it afterwards, and honestly I don't blame them.

If the Chronicle returns in Smash 4, I hope they would make it at least a bit more interesting, maybe having the box art appear to the side or something when you scroll over a game. Maybe they could update the Chronicle annually, though I doubt they will, even though it would also sort of work as promotion for new games.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
@kink-link5. I would hope something along the lines of trading trophies with specific people. For the the 3ds it'll probably use the street pass functionality o be able to gain trophies from other people or to exchange battle information

Now for the WiiU I'm pretty sure you'll be able to take what you have from the 3ds and instantly transfer I via NFC or Nintendo network or vice-versa.

Exclusive on the other hand probably wont be transfered because think certain characters for the 3ds version will only be formatted to that specific version and non else with the exception of trophies stickers pictures and possibly stage creation characters will remain just exclusive ie : paper mario or professor layton etc

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The idea behind it is that the characters are designed for the games separately, and already on the WiiU, but their unlock criteria is syncing up with the 3DS. It is not an appealing concept, but it is something Nintendo would very probably be willing and wanting to do since it gives incentive to buy both games (Along with different story lines for each game, the 3DS involving its exclusive characters more in depth, while they have no role in the WiiU's story.)

u4iX

Smash Rookie
The idea behind it is that the characters are designed for the games separately, and already on the WiiU, but their unlock criteria is syncing up with the 3DS. It is not an appealing concept, but it is something Nintendo would very probably be willing and wanting to do since it gives incentive to buy both games (Along with different story lines for each game, the 3DS involving its exclusive characters more in depth, while they have no role in the WiiU's story.)
If that's the case I would honestly rather just buy a DLC unlock that gives me everything on the Wii U.

u4iX

Smash Rookie
I hope that's not a on-disc DLC suggestion I see...
I was speaking more in terms of buying the unlocks that could potentially require a 3DS.

Basically, as it was suggested above, certain unlock constraints could involve playing the game on the 3DS, which I don't have and don't plan on getting.

I wouldn't want to not have certain characters, so as an option I could just bypass the grinding of those characters for a fee.

It's a pretty scumbag move, but so is requiring a 3DS in my opinion.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
There probably should be character exclusives though. because Nintendo needs to make money like what's the reason I should buy a 3ds for this game without an incentive which should be character exclusives unless there is a different reason why I should buy the 3ds version instead of the WiiU version or Vice-versa which there probably isn't

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Nintendo has stated a while back that they will not make people pay for DLC that's already finished on the disc/cartridge. Nintendo showed this in the Nintendo Direct we had a couple days ago: New Super Mario Bros. 2 will have DLC which is new levels for the Coin Rush mode. Reggie said that the NSMB2 team has not started on these DLC levels and will not start on them until the game is out in stores.

I'll bet Nintendo will be on Sakurai's *** (or whoever is working on DLC) to make sure that they aren't finished on the disc before the game is released.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'd bet that if we get any DLC at all, which I don't think we will, that it'll be something besides characters and stages.

I'd guess it would go along the lines of: more Stage Builder parts, an extra (mini-game) mode, costumes, ect.

I'd bet on patches (for in-game glitches, not balance) though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There probably should be character exclusives though. because Nintendo needs to make money like what's the reason I should buy a 3ds for this game without an incentive which should be character exclusives unless there is a different reason why I should buy the 3ds version instead of the WiiU version or Vice-versa which there probably isn't
That's a load. The problem with exclusives is that you're forced to have two different versions of the common characters, one for 3DS and one for Wii U for balancing reasons. Considering the interconnectivity, it would be very stupid to have version exclusives. This isn't Pokemon. Now, what may be done is that your starting rosters are different, but the final rosters are the same.

Nintendo has stated a while back that they will not make people pay for DLC that's already finished on the disc/cartridge. Nintendo showed this in the Nintendo Direct we had a couple days ago: New Super Mario Bros. 2 will have DLC which is new levels for the Coin Rush mode. Reggie said that the NSMB2 team has not started on these DLC levels and will not start on them until the game is out in stores.

I'll bet Nintendo will be on Sakurai's *** (or whoever is working on DLC) to make sure that they aren't finished on the disc before the game is released.
All I can say is this: Take THAT, Capcom!

I really hope they stay true to their word about not doing on disc DLC. Of course, I have no problem with unlock DLCs that are simply a quicker method of unlocking something in game.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
That's a load. The problem with exclusives is that you're forced to have two different versions of the common characters, one for 3DS and one for Wii U for balancing reasons. Considering the interconnectivity, it would be very stupid to have version exclusives. This isn't Pokemon. Now, what may be done is that your starting rosters are different, but the final rosters are the same.
Good point. But what I'm trying to understand is what's the point in buying the 3dsversion if I'm just going to unlock those characters later sorta just eliminates the purpose. There has to be some compelling factor to make me say "hey I should buy this because they have special stages that work with eye popping 3d " there needs to be some incentive into buy this version over another let that be stages,characters or modes

As for balancing I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'd bet that if we get any DLC at all, which I don't think we will, that it'll be something besides characters and stages.

I'd guess it would go along the lines of: more Stage Builder parts, an extra (mini-game) mode, costumes, ect.

I'd bet on patches (for in-game glitches, not balance) though.
This is pretty much what I expect with DLC. More stickers, trophies, costumes/colors (assuming we don't get a color palette, which would ROCK!!!), extra single-player content, maybe some extra event matches/single-player challenges, stage builder parts, and maybe even some past stages. Oh, and of course patching, glitch fixes, and animation fixing.

Seriously, Snake's Brawl up tilt needed serious animation fixing!!! :laugh:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
No, Snake's U-tilt hitbox just needs to be less disjointed.
His U-tilt in PM looks lame in comparison honestly.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
You're assuming that the two games will be identical. This is smash bros 4 wii u and smash bros 4 3DS not like arkham city on the ps3 and 360 which are the same game on different systems. The incentive to buy the 3DS version is going to be a more single player experience while the wii u will be more multiplayer. I think exclusives will come more in the form of modes/options than characters.

Falchion do you mean less range on the Utilt? I don't really understand how you make something less disjointed :laugh:

:phone:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Less range, yeah Disfunk.
I got caught by that more times than I need to. >_>

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You're assuming that the two games will be identical. This is smash bros 4 wii u and smash bros 4 3DS not like arkham city on the ps3 and 360 which are the same game on different systems. The incentive to buy the 3DS version is going to be a more single player experience while the wii u will be more multiplayer. I think exclusives will come more in the form of modes/options than characters.

Falchion do you mean less range on the Utilt? I don't really understand how you make something less disjointed :laugh:

:phone:
I don't know how much you know, but I'll explain with as many details as possible.

The way attacks land in Smash and in every other video game is with hit and hurtboxes. The game's code reads it where if the hitbox of one character overlaps with the hurtbox of another, then the attack will inflict damage and all the other stuff happens. The case with Snake's UTilt (among other attacks) is that his hitbox extends well above his leg. The hitbox on UTilt should just cover his leg, not extend two feet above it too.

A disjointed hitbox is a hitbox that extends outside of the character's hurtbox. A prime example of this is all of Marth's attacks as the hitboxes on those are on the sword with the hurtboxes on Marth's body only.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The 3DS and WiiU smash bros. will probably be run on the same engine, but with different properties (knockback, game speed, DI, etc) to make them both unique.
No, Snake's U-tilt hitbox just needs to be less disjointed.
His U-tilt in PM looks lame in comparison honestly.
There is no way Snake could twist his leg like that (in his Brawl up tilt) without popping his leg out of its' joints. I am a fairly flexible person (I had to know how to kick my leg up that high because I was a soccer goalie), and there is no way I could see someone Snake's size doing that high of a kick.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If you keep up your flexibility, you probably could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom