• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
What if they somehow integrated events into the SSE? So it didn't interfere with the story-line some could take on the profesor layton approach. "Hey, beat this irrelevant challenge that's beyond this door" sort of deal.

That would make it more exciting an certainly add some more variety to your objectives.

D

Deleted member

Misspelling. Meant weak with an "a". Unless you were actually :troll:ing me.
I was just ****ing with ya man. You know me, I take every opportunity I get to crack a dumb joke.

@Ginger

I dunno man. I hate it when games outright TELL me what to do. I like learning things for myself. Don't even get me started on the beef I had with Skyward Sword and it's dumb intro/tutorial. If you're gonna teach me things, do it in an intelligent manner where I don't notice it.

See Egoraptor's Sequelitis.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Whatever happens to the story mode won't really matter in the end. Multiplayer has always been the strong suit of series and the highlight, and if you honestly play Super Smash Bros. for the single player experience you are dumb.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yeah, fighting games were made for fighting with your friends, not tell a pretty story. The only true reason to do single player stuff in a fighting game is for practice and unlocking stuff.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I agree. People said the 3DS was gonna flop. Look how that turned out.
Although the 3DS was able to turn itself around, in the West, its sales are nowhere near what the DS was doing during its highs. The portable video game console market in the West is being eaten alive by smart phones and tablets.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Although the 3DS was able to turn itself around, in the West, its sales are nowhere near what the DS was doing during its highs. The portable video game console market in the West is being eaten alive by smart phones and tablets.
I agree with all of this except for one thing.
its sales are nowhere near what the DS was doing during its highs.
When were DS sales the strongest? If the high was late in the handheld's lifetime, it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
GAH the tablet...
Nothing bothers me more than the unjustified success of angry birds. Its not even an original idea. They just hit the app store jack pot.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
3DS/Vita and iOS/Android are simply apples and oranges. 3DS and Vita were made mostly for games plus extras while iOS and Android were made mostly for everything else plus games. I can name many big name, must own game for the 3DS and Vita but the only smartphone/tablet game I can think of that's a must own is Angry Birds (a game I've yet to and will not play). Plus I don't want something that has only touch controls and ZERO buttons. I want something that's responsive enough like buttons.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
When were DS sales the strongest? If the high was late in the handheld's lifetime, it wouldn't be a fair comparison.
The DS was at its height from 2007-2009. Comparable to a similar point in the DS's lifespan to the 3DS's, the 3DS is tracking below it. Animal Crossing and Pokemon will certainly make the 3DS's sales healthier in the West, though overall, I can't see the 3DS reaching the life-to-date sales that the DS achieved.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The DS was at its height from 2007-2009. Comparable to a similar point in the DS's lifespan to the 3DS's, the 3DS is tracking below it. Animal Crossing and Pokemon will certainly make the 3DS's sales healthier in the West, though overall, I can't see the 3DS reaching the life-to-date sales that the DS achieved.
Part of me thinks that part of the reason is the global recession.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
You know, a good marketing tool nintendo could use for the less informed is make new console titles a little more obvious. For the longest time I thought the 3DS was just a normal DS with 3D capabilities; just an add-on, not a hardware revamp.
Same goes for the Wii U. When it was announced at E3, tons of people just thought it was a weird tablet thing for the Wii. For Hardcore players this info isn't a problem but the casual audience is where the high sales come from.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Part of me thinks that part of the reason is the global recession.
That is certainly a factor as well. However, there was a recession going from 2007 to 2011, yet the DS and Wii still sold very well. The recession (the recovery, like the cake, is a lie) lasting as long as it has, may have finally caught up with the video game market though. However, there is no denying that Nintendo enjoyed a lot of growth during the recession years from 2007 to 2011.

I think in the jump to the next console generation the successors to the PlayStation 3 and X-Box 360 will sell less than those consoles.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The global economy crisis is not only effecting the Nintendo products, but pretty much everything else. In this day and age you cannot simply spend money willy-nilly like 10 years ago, every penny counts towards stuff like bills and groceries.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I feel this similar to comparing the sales of PS2 and PS3.

PS2 being the best selling console of all time, and DS is the 2nd highest.
That is an apt analogy. Both the 3DS and PS3 were coming off of the most successful game consoles of all time, yet both had really slow start, yet eventually went on to sell a lot of game consoles, though nowhere near what their predecessors sold.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I can't wait till E3 comes around and we can be entertained by stuff. Even the most painful conferences are entertaining.

D

Deleted member

Just made a couple post on the IGN Smash 4 thread and I just realized that IGN and Smashboards has similar set-ups. Surprisingly, the thread isn't too bad.. yet. Has over 1,300 posts.

In regards to piracy on games, I was involved in it for a short time (mainly for retro games), but eventually the novelty of having all of my games on the PC wore off. Would rather be able to play them on the original hardware than on a computer anyway.
So yeah, the Roster thread is locked, don't think we needed it locked at that particular moment, but we definitely had is coming to us and personally I was hoping it'd be locked at some point in order to give us some cool off time. Mario_Sonic's cool and is the only noticeable mod on the Smash 4 forum so I don't see any point in fighting it.

Real question now though is if we can finally take our activity here where it's on-topic or not.
I think we'll likely be much less off-topic now that we've "learned" our lessons once the thread comes back, but I don't think we'll going to take our main activity here. The thread will be pretty much the same otherwise.
Habanero said:
I think he was referring to the people that constantly think that Nintendo is doomed everytime they make any mistakes. It's kind of a forced meme, especially among the Sony fans.
I hate hearing this so much. The people who say this don't realize that even with the present situation, Nintendo is in better shape than with Sony with their video game division and this is coming from someone who really likes both companies.
shinpichu said:
Nintendo has really dropped the ball with the VC. There's a number of fairly obvious holes in its library, and at this point the only people releasing games for it is SNK.
This is why I stopped using the Virtual Console for retro games and will be buying the consoles themselves.

The biggest insult would be the lack of Earthbound outside of Japan. Considering that we were promised this game, there is no excuse as to why we didn't get it (and before anyone else brings up legal issues, I am aware of them, but if Nintendo were aware of the legal issues, then either they shouldn't have said anything or put in the effort necessary to get Earthbound on the Virtual Console). Lack of Earthbound on VC is a pretty big reason why the game is so expensive to buy. Funny how Mother 2 Super Famicom cartridge are a lot cheaper, so might as well wait a few years until I can understand enough 日本語 (Japanese).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That is an apt analogy. Both the 3DS and PS3 were coming off of the most successful game consoles of all time, yet both had really slow start, yet eventually went on to sell a lot of game consoles, though nowhere near what their predecessors sold.
PS2 had disc read errors to help push sales.

@SSBF
If Nihongo is Japanese, what is Eigo?

D

Deleted member

PS2 had disc read errors to help push sales.

@SSBF
Beats me. I've not even done with ひらがな (hiragana) yet (finished the basic letters and the voiced ひらがな, but still need to finished up my y-vowels and understand the hard consonants). Doesn't help that I have a sore throat now that makes practicing saying letters difficult.

I think I started about a month ago. Surprised at my relatively low progress but then again, I'm not in a hurry.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually what pushed the sales of the PS2 was that it was the cheapest DVD player at the time, which helped catered to a more broad audience.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Actually, the DS also had bad criticism when it first came out. Same with the Wii. And believe it or not, the 3DS is actually ahead of the original DS at that same point in time.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@SSBF: Nice avatar, I loved Cyborg 009 back when it was on Toonami. :cool:

@SSBF
Ooo. Ooo. I know this one, please pick me Kuma Sensei! "Raises hand."

peeup

Smash Lord
Seems to me the only games out for the WiiU kinda suck as is. I'm definitely waiting till Sm4sh till I get one, if I even do get one. How much can a guy trade a Wii in for these days?

D

Deleted member

@SSBF: Nice avatar, I loved Cyborg 009 back when it was on Toonami. :cool:

Ooo. Ooo. I know this one, please pick me Kuma Sensei! "Raises hand."
I wish I had seen Cyborg 009 back while it was on, unfortunately I didn't. Now most of the series is unavailable in English to fans, so if I want the entire series, I have to learn 日本語 (Japanese) and pay around $500 for the entire series.

I am, however, reading the manga in English so far. Comixology is currently translating the manga and so far, there are ten volumes available.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nope, it's still Japanese!

It's Japanese for English!

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Actually, the DS also had bad criticism when it first came out. Same with the Wii. And believe it or not, the 3DS is actually ahead of the original DS at that same point in time.
Only during 2005 did the DS have rough sales. The combination of Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing: Wild World was what made the console finally get on its feet, and that was when the console was about a year old. By 2007, DS was the best selling console on the market.

The Wii never had a rough time during its early lifespan. It was doing much better than both the 360 and PS3, and sold out during the holidays and Q1 2007.

As to your claim about the 3DS being ahead of the DS at this current point in time, its not. It was at an earlier point though, but at this point in time the DS was just started blitzing thanks to the Brain Age phenomenon and the DSlite revision.

peeup

Smash Lord
This thread sucks. I haven't checked it in over 3 hours and it isn't 10 pages longer than when I last left it. Gimme my roster discussion thread back.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Man, I don't know what happened to the Roster Discussion thread; maybe it got a little inflamatory, but that's not really anything new (not that that's very good...)

Alas, this will have to do!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Man, I don't know what happened to the Roster Discussion thread; maybe it got a little inflamatory, but that's not really anything new (not that that's very good...)

Alas, this will have to do!
Was it my argument with volbound?

I'd feel really bad if I caused this.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Vol needs to check his wiki articles better. He got Blizzard's condition wrong

peeup

Smash Lord
hahaha even if your argument was the straw that broke the camel's back, there were like a thousand straws and we were constantly warned that the camel's back would break by M&SG, so no worries man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom