• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, if you own a PS3/360, then you own a PC gamepad. 2nd, I played those on my keyboard back in HS.
Not everyone owns a PS3/360. ESPECIALLY not Nintendo fans.

I dunno, everyone I knew back in HS did it, I just assumed it was something everyone did back then. Especially considering all the Let's Plays out there of kiddies running SNES9X, VSNES, and VBA. GBA/SNES emulation is literally like the first step people take down the long road of being a pirate. It's just... So... EASY.
Not denying its easy or that people do it. There other reasons why people wouldn't want to use emulation, like not wanting to pirate or being snobs who don't consider emulation "authentic." (and don't ask me why they consider VC different, I never understood that myself).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I dunno, everyone I knew back in HS did it, I just assumed it was something everyone did back then. Especially considering all the Let's Plays out there of kiddies running SNES9X, VSNES, and VBA. GBA/SNES emulation is literally like the first step people take down the long road of being a pirate. It's just... So... EASY.
Lol. Same case here.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why do you need a gamepad when you can just use the keyboard?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Why do you need a gamepad when you can just use the keyboard?
Some people just don't like keyboards. I remember when SFxMM was announced, on some sites there were complaints about not wanting to play on a keyboard(or a PC in general).

@FalKoopa
That too.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You don't need one for anything. Except Conker's bad fur day.

I think you can defeat Bowser with just the keyboard.

Conker's final boss is impossible without one though, but I don't think any other game is

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
You don't need one for anything. Except Conker's bad fur day.

I think you can defeat Bowser with just the keyboard.

Conker's final boss is impossible without one though, but I don't think any other game is
You really kinda need one for Smash as well. I remember trying to play Smash 64 on a keyboard, getting tilts to work was a major pain in the a**.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yeah, Nintendo is taking far, FAR more time than needed for releasing any VC game. I can name plenty of classic games that have no emulation problems or legal issues that have not yet appeared on the shop. The N64 library is just a joke: we only have 21 games and only 2 of them are 3rd party. Plus last summer Nintendo promised two Game Gear games (Sonic Labyrinth & Sonic Blast) for the 3DS Virtual Console as part of their "8-bit Summer" (they were even in the bloody trailer). Almost a year has past and those two games are STILL not available. Not to mention Shantae for the GBC, a game I'm REALLY looking forward to buying, there has been no news on its release status ever since it was confirmed to be on the 3DS eShop back in August of last year.

Nintendo is in dire need of firing whoever does the Virtual Console service and hire some who actually cares and knows what there doing.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
WB: We actually have those Sonic-games here in EU if I remember correctly. (-l^l-);

But yeah... just really, we could just nostalgia out with emulation at this rate. (-=A=-)

D

Deleted member

Well, I mean, lets look at the big picture here. You wanna buy the games to support a company, but there are also games you wanna play that aren't available to you (yet), then pirate the game, play it, and when it comes out cough up the dosh for it. If it never comes out and you still wanna support the devs, then buy a game from them you already own. Morality issues solved.

In fact, there are a bunch of Japanese devs that are OK, with Western fans pirating and translating their games as they know they'd never be localized anyway. 1st example would be Alicesoft.

In all honesty though, barring Retro games and imports, the only games I pirate are for handhelds, and honestly, it's out of comodity. Having ALL your games in one console when you are on the go is so convenient. I actually support digital distribution for handhelds as it's something that should have been done ages ago. Piracy on home consoles is a bit of a **** move though, especially when you can buy them off ebay at a low price. However, keep in mind that the devs don't see your money from used games either...

On PC however, where you have Steam, anyone who pirates is scum. Steam is revolutionary and something Nintendo and other companies HAVE TO adopt.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Only games I'm okay with pirating are games that haven't been localized(the devs obviously don't want my money) or old games that either have licensing troubles, or their devs have long since gone under.

Edit: f***, we somehow went from story discussion to piracy. It's just like the roster thread....

D

Deleted member

I like piracy, but I don't think I've actually pirated any games. But #anarchy am i right?
Pirating games... well, I do admit it's bad as you hurt the industry.

Pirating music though... **** Record Companies... seriously.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well, if you own a PS3/360, then you own a PC gamepad. 2nd, I played those on my keyboard back in HS.
I honestly didn't know about that until recently, couldn't figure out how to make my PS3 controller work though.

Same here. A lot of my friends actively emulate SNES and N64 games. Outside of very particular imports I could never really get into playing games on my computer. I honestly get a real feeling of self accomplishment nowadays when I pop in a cartridge instead of taking the easy road with emulation, though I have thought about it for doing Let's Plays (one of these days I'll put aside $75 of my VG money for a capture device).

Edit: f***, we somehow went from story discussion to piracy. It's just like the roster thread....
Mario_Sonic said a while back we're free to be off-topic here so it's no big deal. Honestly this is just our version of the general discussion/social threads that a lot of the region/specific character forums have. We'll get back to Smash as soon as someone spontaneously mentions a new topic.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I honestly didn't know about that until recently, couldn't figure out how to make my PS3 controller work though.
You need a bluetooth radio on your computer. You'll need to buy one if your PC doesn't have one built in.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have never pirated a single game. I even imported the actual cartridges for the Japan-only Fire Emblem games, and had to make modifications to the Super Famicom Fire Emblem games (with a power drill and carving knife) to get them to fit into my North American Super Nintendo.

For those who refuse to pirate and/or want to play classic games on a tv or a controller in their hand, the Virtual Console was a killer app.

On that note, I thought the inclusion of Masterpieces in Brawl was a pointless feature.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I have never pirated a single game. I even imported the actual cartridges for the Japan-only Fire Emblem games, and had to make modifications to the Super Famicom Fire Emblem games (with a power drill and carving knife) to get them to fit into my North American Super Nintendo.
Just thought I'd point out it's easier to just cut the tabs in the SNES itself. Or just remove that plastic bit that has the tabs(though you will need a security bit for that).

On that note, I thought the inclusion of Masterpieces in Brawl was a pointless feature.
Oh yeah, no doubt. Only reason I ever used Masterpieces was to get rom dumps for the games. That's actually why I imported a Japanese copy last year.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Just thought I'd point out it's easier to just cut the tabs in the SNES itself. Or just remove that plastic bit that has the tabs(though you will need a security bit for that).
I knew about that, but I rather mutilate the cartridges than my Super Nintendo.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
This is why we need new PROOF on the progress of this game (what's going on in Sakurai's regular life isn't enough to give us a conversation that will last enough).

There's a reason why I have been putting all my focus on Super Smash Flash 2, Super Smash Bros. Crusade, & Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion rather than Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS: I have proof that it's in or was in progress, that I know what to fully expect, and have actually played them.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You need a bluetooth radio on your computer. You'll need to buy one if your PC doesn't have one built in.
Thanks for the tip. Been wanting to play some PC games I have without a keyboard/mouse for the longest time.

Modifications to the carts? Honestly I just found it easier to use one hand to hold open the dust cover on my SNES and slowly cut away at the tabs with a knife and sandpaper, only took me about an hour. Took me forever to figure out how to get my Pin Convertor for my NES working though. I actually ripped open my Famicom carts thinking the insides were dirty (was really annoying putting them back together).

I've really only emulated Nazo no Murasamejou (too tough and expensive to hunt down all the FDS parts), FE6 (am not allowed to use Ebay and no one's selling it on Amazon), and FE12 (it's an easy import, but I wanted to play it in English to enjoy the new story elements).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And this thread will follow the same fate.
Actually, this is the appropriate thread for general discussions, as it's designed to house topics that don't belong in the other threads. The Roster Discussion Thread, as the name suggests, is meant for discussing about Smash 4's roster, and nothing else.

Simply put, please keep all general discussions and off-topic clutter in this thread.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Actually, this is the appropriate thread for general discussions, since it involves topics that don't belong anywhere else. The Roster Discussion Thread, as the name suggests, is meant for discussing about Smash 4's roster, and nothing else.

Simply put, please keep all general discussions in this thread.
Good to know!

So.... How many good games are currently on the Wii U?
Nintendoland.
NSMBU
Game & Wario
ZombiU

Any others?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Good to know!

So.... How many good games are currently on the Wii U?
Nintendoland.
NSMBU
Game & Wario
ZombiU

Any others?
Lego City Undercover is out now IIRC.

There's also the ports of Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, and Black Ops 2. Probably more that I'm forgetting.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Lego City Undercover is out now IIRC.

There's also the ports of Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, and Black Ops 2. Probably more that I'm forgetting.
Good point!

Also forgot Sonic and Sega Allstars Racing Transformed.

Thanks for linking to this by the way.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I'm just going to wait for a game I'd consider a system seller. Not saying these games are bad, they're just not... irresistible I guess. Maybe by the time I buy a Wii U, I can get those games for a cheap price if I decide to play them.

D

Deleted member

I'm just going to wait for a game I'd consider a system seller. Not saying these games are bad, they're just not... irresistible I guess. Maybe by the time I buy a Wii U, I can get those games for a cheap price if I decide to play them.
I feel the same way.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So far my Wii U library
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Darksiders II
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (digital)
LEGO City: Undercover
So far all Virtual Console Trial Campaign games (and getting all of them due to their 30¢ price tag)

Game I'm Waiting for:
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: Winder Waker HD
Yarn Yoshi
Batman: Arkham Origins
Games Nintendo promised with no screen shots to be shown at E3 (Mario Kart, Super Mario 3D, The Legend of Zelda XVII, Super Smash Bros.)
Rayman Legends (maybe, just maybe)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't think there's much of a problem with the SSE story. For what it was, I enjoyed it. I agree the gameplay of it could have been better, but to expect something much better from the storytelling may be asking too much. Asking for more enemies from existing series is particularly problematic, because then you'd fill the game with enemies that are more or less the same in their actions. How many can you count that just walk from side to side, only jump, or shoot a simple projectile. So the gameplay would be even more boring. Then there are also worlds that don't really lend themselves to providing enemies or platforming levels. I know Sakurai's design choices leaves more to be desired, but it was a good way to put every character on equal ground.

Besides, the story could surely only be a convoluted mess anyhow.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Game I'm Waiting for:
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: Winder Waker HD
Yarn Yoshi
Batman: Arkham Origins
Games Nintendo promised with no screen shots to be shown at E3 (Mario Kart, Super Mario 3D, The Legend of Zelda XVII, Super Smash Bros.)
Rayman Legends (maybe, just maybe)
>No X

bf8.gif

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The only enjoyable parts of SSE were the cutscenes, and ambushes and boss battles.

D

Deleted member

Yes, the Wii U is having a week start but I have faith in it eventually.
But the WiiU has been out for over 3 months, not a week.

I don't think there's much of a problem with the SSE story. For what it was, I enjoyed it. I agree the gameplay of it could have been better, but to expect something much better from the storytelling may be asking too much. Asking for more enemies from existing series is particularly problematic, because then you'd fill the game with enemies that are more or less the same in their actions. How many can you count that just walk from side to side, only jump, or shoot a simple projectile. So the gameplay would be even more boring. Then there are also worlds that don't really lend themselves to providing enemies or platforming levels. I know Sakurai's design choices leaves more to be desired, but it was a good way to put every character on equal ground.

Besides, the story could surely only be a convoluted mess anyhow.
I think the problem stems from Sakurai Turning SSE into Kirby Super Star. Classic Kirby solo is boring as ****, and SSE didn't lend itself to anything but just mindless baddie beating. The entire thing is just chore from start to finish.

You can turn all the Nintendo franchises into platform levels. The Zelda level in Melee's Adventure was fun and challenging. Metroid, Mario, Kirby, KI and a bunch of others are already platformers. Pokemon can just be a tournament level. Fire Emblem can have a strategic fighting level. Hell, what would be neat would be if the 1p mode was designed to TEACH you the ropes and advanced mechanics of the game intuitively. Especially if they hid challenges in each level for you to achieve. A lot could be done with a 1P mode, but very little is being tapped.

As for enemy variety, Metroid has a bunch of different and unique enemies. Also, need I remind you that it's not what the enemies can do, but where they are placed that matters in platformers. Adventure mode pulled it off right imo.

EDIT: lol at fun getting an add...

Looks like /v/ was right fun IS

a buzzword

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom