• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Where it counts, the writers at Nintendo are very good. Paper Mario 2 has still one of the best script I've seen in a videogame.Skyward Sword was pretty good too from what I remember. Uprising was very good. For videogame standards, obviously.
My favorite script is Portal 2. Simply masterful.

D

Deleted member

I really should get around to buying a 3DS and playing FEA and KIU.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I agree entirely, but Nintend SHOULD get some better writers. So far from what I can tell, SS seems to be a step in the right direction. Though, story should NOT be the focus for Zelda.
They need to implement the story better with the gameplay in general. Fire Emblem's support system is a good example of this.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
They need to implement the story better with the gameplay in general. Fire Emblem's support system is a good example of this.
IntSys is good at making good gameplay while having good stories as well. The Fire Emblem and Paper Mario series are good examples of that.

FE's support system is an excellent example, indeed. Not only it adds more depth to the gameplay itself (bonuses and such), it also contributes to character development.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think AlphaDream could help to make the story of SSE2 a bit wacky and comical.

I loved the plot of Bowser's Inside Story.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Wacky + Fighter = wut?
Everyone would be out of character, critics would take notice if not done right.
I find it funny how you distort the others' arguments to suit your liking.

Alright I'll let Michael Bay write the story then.
Who?

Also, Sakurai wrote KIU's story by himself. He can do a story for SSB4 with a similar nature.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Even though fighting games are not known for (deep/good) stories, SSE could do much better. It can sound more like fan fic for all I care if that's only the way to improve the story. Like others said, character interactions (especially relocatable characters), actual (and logical) explanations, and no leaving out content just so it could be posted on Smash Bros. Dojo. And I somewhat don't care how wacky or whatever the story is since it wouldn't be canon to any of its source franchises. Just put in plenty of stuff from the franchises so we don't have a mountain load of generic areas and enemies. And finally, get more than one writer, the more the better IMO.

D

Deleted member

I think AlphaDream could help to make the story of SSE2 a bit wacky and comical.

I loved the plot of Bowser's Inside Story.
I want SSE to stay in Brawl. It was a very crappy game mode.

Having to replay it now, to unlock all the music so I can hack it, and dear God is it AWFUL! At least I have the P:M codes installed to make the gameplay a little better.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I would like it if the story stuck to a simple, "Nintendo villains have teamed up, so Nintendo heroes are out to stop them!" formula. But being able to play as the villains is important too, so I would suggest that the game have both hero and villain missions. For example, a hero mission could involve Kirby stopping an army of attacking Risen. A later villain mission features Bowser trying to obtain a Chaos Emerald, having to fight his way past Knuckles or whoever would defend such a thing. If past trends continue, we'd end up with fewer villains than heroes, and therefore fewer villain missions than hero missions. Even so, I think it would be a nice way to feature all of the characters in the story while also sticking to the simple concept of heroes versus villains.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Yeah, when concerning the story, just keep things simple

There's no shame in having the plot itself be just a glorified excuse to bring all the characters together because why exactly are aspects like story progression/character development/exposition/plot inconsistencies/etc necessary in a non-canonical crossover game anyway? Character interactions are where it's at. The focus IMO should be on the fact that all of these different worlds and characters are coming together, and how they'd think of each other, not just what they're all doing

What makes crossovers truly great to me is not just when these characters are in the same game/special/place, but when they actually notice and interact with each other. What Inuyasha would think of Ranma if they ever met and vice versa, what Spider-Man and Batman meeting each other would be like, what the Mortal Kombat characters would think of the Killer Instinct characters and vice versa, and the list goes on and on

If a crossover fails to get this aspect right for its story, then it pretty much fails overall for me (story-wise anyway)

when somebody posts about the diversity of a pair of spectacles not once but twice on a Smash Bros thread don't be surprised if I lack interest.
because everyone here cares if you show interest in something or not, right

Not giving a **** about something is just THE coolest thing in the world to people, apparently

Not trying to be mean or condescending BTW, just saying

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
because everyone here cares if you show interest in something or not, right

Not giving a **** about something is just THE coolest thing in the world to people, apparently

Not trying to be mean or condescending BTW, just saying
When you think about it (not that there's much to think about) the truest form of not giving a **** to ignore something and move on.

I would've provided my two cents but I don't wear glasses and had nothing to contribute.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Like what has been said before, Smash is non-canon anyway, so it really doesn't matter if characters are depicted a bit "wacky" or "out of character". Smash depicts the fighters in its own charming way, and I find that interesting. It kinda reminds me how Fire Emblem Awakening portrays the DLC characters...

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I say just hire some well know story writers that have common sense and double check it before it's approved by Sakurai.

Like M. Night Shyamalan. He'll make a wonder plot twist :troll: (but I'm serious on the first sentence)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Who's to say it wasn't Sakurai's fault in the end for the ****ty story despite having a writer for it? As you said, he has to approve it.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I recently played Sly Cooper 4 and that's imho the road Smash Bros. should take. It was very well written, didn't take itself too seriously, a couple of plot twist and a cliffhanger. Very good overall imho.

D

Deleted member

I've said it before, but anyone here watch Kamen Rider?

Decade did a good job with crossovers.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So yeah, the Roster thread is locked, don't think we needed it locked at that particular moment, but we definitely had is coming to us and personally I was hoping it'd be locked at some point in order to give us some cool off time. Mario_Sonic's cool and is the only noticeable mod on the Smash 4 forum so I don't see any point in fighting it.

Real question now though is if we can finally take our activity here where it's on-topic or not.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've never watched it, but I always did want to get around to watching some toukusatsu that wasn't Power Rangers.

And since the roster thread is closed, guess it's time for the off topic shenanigans to start in here. I'll respond to Chrono's post here:

NSMBWii was the second highest selling home console video game of ALL TIME in Japan. New Super Mario Bros. U limped to 500K, and will be lucky to break two million over its lifetime sales. Even if there is franchise fatigue, there should not have been such a massive contraction as there has been from Wii to U.

Also, Nintendo Land and Game & Wario are certainly no low quality games. From expressions, Game & Wario is another great game in the Wario franchise, while most people have said that Nintendo Land offers a meatier game experience than Wii Sports or Wii Sports Resort.

The fact is that people simply don't want the Wii U at this time, and the software being offered for it (NSMBU, Nintendo Land, and most recently Game & Wario) do nothing to entice them.

Nintendo needs to use every last bullet they have (which I am sure they will) at E3 this year. They will not hold back any software they have in development and show their entire hand there.
With Mario, mind you that you're comparing a game that was sold at around the peak of the Wii's life cycle to a launch game. Completely different circumstances with one having an inherently larger user base than the other. Combining franchise fatigue (and we all know it's there) with a fresh starting console is going to result in less sales. We'll have to see though as Mario games do have long lasting legs so who knows.

I was not saying NL and G+W are low quality games. Rather, their competition is so horrid and uninspiring. To the typical person, their response to these games is probably, "Oh, another one of these games again." This one may have to do with both the change in direction for Wario Ware along with the perceived quality of this genre of games.

You are right though, no one's really wanting the WiiU right now. Heck, even I don't want it right now. I'm waiting for Bayonetta, Smash Bros., Pikmin, and Zelda HD right now and that's just out the currently announced stuff. You're absolutely right that this E3 is make or break for them. It seems as though their policy for keeping games underwraps until it's time is starting to backfire. They can't seem to win either way. I mean, we have no idea what's going on with FE x SMT other than that it exists and that announcement was probably a desperation act to appease fans and shareholders.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
What was the reason the roster thread was locked? It wasn't really clear to me,
Mostly because of all the history of all the derp on the thread (there's a lot of crap in those 700+ pages) and too much in general Nintendo talk rather than Smash 4 based things in particular the roster for the next game. Mario_Sonic had already told us to move our activity here at one point but no one listened so it was only a matter of time before the lock.

It's happened before on the original Smash 4 thread (though back then the derp was a lot worse), so nothing really surprising.

You are right though, no one's really wanting the WiiU right now. Heck, even I don't want it right now. I'm waiting for Bayonetta, Smash Bros., Pikmin, and Zelda HD right now and that's just out the currently announced stuff. You're absolutely right that this E3 is make or break for them. It seems as though their policy for keeping games underwraps until it's time is starting to backfire. They can't seem to win either way. I mean, we have no idea what's going on with FE x SMT other than that it exists and that announcement was probably a desperation act to appease fans and shareholders.
Yeah I've gotten the same feeling during the last few Nintendo Directs. Zelda Wind Waker HD, Yarn Yoshi, and SMTxFE seemed like announcements they had originally planned for E3 especially given the lack of details they each had.

Ironically though, I just read an article on GoNintendo that states their stock rose 11%.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Welp.

But seriously, what is left to discuss anyway about SSB? At least we tried to speak about it by being concerned about Wii U's sales and what it'd pose for SSB's development.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I think that the 3DS Smash Bros will come out first. This one will not be able to have everything that the Wii U one will have, so it's no point in making them they same game. I think that the 3DS one and Wii U one will be their own version of the game. I already know that characters like Mario and Link etc. will be in both. Therefore, they will be able to connect in that sort not way.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Welp.

But seriously, what is left to discuss anyway about SSB? At least we tried to speak about it by being concerned about Wii U's sales and what it'd pose for SSB's development.
Yeah, well I remember Sakurai saying he was disappointed smash 4 was announced so early.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So when the roster thread opens will all the off-topic BS go back there, or will it stay in this thread?

Yeah, well I remember Sakurai saying he was disappointed smash 4 was announced so early.
Well yeah. IIRC he didn't even know that Iwata wanted him to do the game when it was announced(even though everyone knew it would happen eventually). I think it was a bad idea to announce it as early as they did, since it led to a lot of misunderstandings about development, with a lot of people assuming it had started development a lot earlier than it actually did.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm actually glad M&S guy jumped in and locked the thread for now since we were about to fall into the "Nintendo is doomed" territory. For some reason I cant help but feel a little responsible for getting the the thread off track though since I stated about the whole Game & Wario business and then we went talking about sales and the Wii U. So my apologies for that in case it was my fault. ANYWAYS.... In order to prevent this thread from getting the lock hammer two, we better get back on topic. So we were still discussing the story in the storymode and how they should handle it this time didn't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom