• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You should collapse that. But yeah, Command is a travesty in most senses. Especially the fashion sense. ;)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What's wrong with it?
Just the general shape of it. In general, a fox's head is much thinner than that Taco Bell head.

You should collapse that. But yeah, Command is a travesty in most senses. Especially the fashion sense. ;)
All the women wearing feminine colors and Krystal definitely does not look good in pink. Mauve would've been so much better.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I hope they go with the 64 3D look. But Fox has a different face in every game, so Idk.
EDIT: Added an image so people know what I'm talking about.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All the women wearing feminine colors and Krystal definitely does not look good in pink. Mauve would've been so much better.
Yeah. They all look pretty bad. Some are dressed horribly like Krystal, and others just have bleh designs, like Amanda.

The male characters are a little better... but not much imo. Least favourite designs of the SF series.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Someone should've handed the Assault design team a color wheel when coloring Krystal's outfit, lol.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Brawl being unveiled wasn't too surprising, it had been announced at the previous E3. The surprising part was they didn't reveal it at the main conference.
Really? Well, It's been some time, because I really don't remember people expecting it. But maybe the big surprise was Snake. I do remember a big surprise.
Well, it surely caused an impact. I'd like the trailer to cause the same king of impact. I trust Sakurai's trailers/announcements. I DO remember Kid Icarus Uprising's announcement was pretty nice.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Honestly, I was thinking about getting a PS4 somewhere down the line if the rumors on the 720 turn out to be true.

On another topic, does anyone know if near sighted glasses can be too strong for you? I just tried my sister's on and I swear it's like everything was further away from me, but at the same time more detailed. It's like I had switched to 3D glasses.

D

Deleted member

Soooo new Mewtwo form in smash 4?
Wrong thread buddy.

The Character Thread is THAT >>>> way.

We don't need to have TWO threads littered with endless Fire Emblem and Pokemon debates.

Honestly, I was thinking about getting a PS4 somewhere down the line if the rumors on the 720 turn out to be true.

On another topic, does anyone know if near sighted glasses can be too strong for you? I just tried my sister's on and I swear it's like everything was further away from me, but at the same time more detailed. It's like I had switched to 3D glasses.
Not an optometrist but I do use glasses. If you don't need glasses then you will see how THEY see without them when you wear them. Different people have different eye graduations, they are marked and measured specifically to fit their eyesight. It's like a print. So even if you have bad eyesight, your sister's eyesight is different and thus cannot use her glasses. The chance of you having the same exact eyesight is low, as it changes for people over time (it gets worse)...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wear glasses, but not very often. I honestly feel like vision has improved ever so slightly so it also hurts to wear my glasses. Otherwise, I only wear them for very specific conditions.

While I know that we have different prescriptions, I wanted to see how different our eyes were and there is a significant difference. Visually, they're the same, but my left, astigmatic eye is hurting and everything feels funny. Thankfully, my vision is 20/50 at the absolute worst.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
I wear glasses, but not very often. I honestly feel like vision has improved ever so slightly so it also hurts to wear my glasses. Otherwise, I only wear them for very specific conditions.

While I know that we have different prescriptions, I wanted to see how different our eyes were and there is a significant difference. Visually, they're the same, but my left, astigmatic eye is hurting and everything feels funny. Thankfully, my vision is 20/50 at the absolute worst.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Well that wasn't very nice.
I guess it was a bit harsh, but when somebody posts about the diversity of a pair of spectacles not once but twice on a Smash Bros thread don't be surprised if I lack interest.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Back on topic...
How do you think the Story Mode could be improved upon?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Make it more than a visual story. I know that a huge majority of the character that have been in a Smash Bros. are known to be the silent type but try to find a way to make it more dramatic/engaging. Oh, and make a HUGE majority of the enemies are characters from Nintendo franchises with a little bit of original enemies rather than the other way around like SSE did.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Back on topic...
Emphasizing the relationship between the characters.

For example: Mario and Luigi never interacted in the SSE at all. Same with Meta Knight and Kirby, Mario and Wario, Wolf and Fox/Falco, etc etc.

I found the SSE very lacking in this regard. The only noticeable ones were DK/Diddy and Ness/Lucas and to a lesser extent, Fox/Falco, Link/Zelda and Mario/Peach.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Back on topic...
EXPLAIN WHAT THE F*** WAS GOING ON PLZ.

Why was Marth hanging out in that abandoned castle?

Where did Ike come from? How did he know to attack the Ancient Minister?

Why did Tabuu need to use the ROBs to detonate the Subspace bombs? Did he do it just to be an ***hole?

How integrated are the various game worlds? Since Snake's part of this world, does that mean that the USA also exists there?

Why was Snake on the Halberd?

EXPLAIN!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Back on topic...
Along with shinpichu's suggestion that they explain what the hell was going on, a visual novel story would be great. BlazBlue utilized this to great effect.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think a good way to explain what the hell was going on would be to implement something similar to the scan mechanic in the Metroid Prime games. Maybe when you're playing through a Snake or ZSS level, you can sneak around a bit and find a computer terminal or a data disk or something that contains information about the villains plans, the motivations of all the characters in the world, and information about the world in general.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Maybe a journal type thing perhaps? :/ So for example, as you finish a level and see a cutscene etc, you receive a notification telling you that the journal has been updated and then you can optionally look it up and get a more thorough explanation of what was going on and what the heroes and villains agreed upon doing. I don't know if any of you guy's have ever played the Professor Layton series before but inside the trunk there is a journal book where Layton explain's in more detail about what he witnessed in the current events as well as additional clues as to what was going on in the main story etc. Perhaps smash could implement something similar to that for the story mode? :/

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Hopefully the next story mode at least doesn't cut plot important cutscenes, like the scrapped cutscene that explains King Dedede knowing about the Subspace Emissary and Tabuu.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I never gave much thought to where and why the characters appear in Subspace since the characters in Smash aren't the characters themselves but action figures.
This is the way I saw the whole Samus rescuing Pikachu part:
SatAM 80's commercial
Oh no! Pikachu has been caught by some bad turkeys!
Samus, you must deactivate the trap!
Watch out Samus!
*Samus in under attack by ROBs but Pikachu uses thunder and ****s up the ROBs attacking Samus*
Samus and Pikachu must esacpe from the evil laboratory before it's too late!
Oh no it's Ridley
*Stuff blows up*
Yeah we made it!
*Two drunk 19 year olds hi-5.*

SSE Evil Lab playset comes with the stuff seen here. ROBs sold separately.
EDIT: Fixed formatting.​

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Just make it cohesive and tolerable. The Great Maze wasn't necessary.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I never gave much thought to where and why the characters appear in Subspace since the characters in Smash aren't the characters themselves but action figures.
This is the way I saw the whole Samus rescuing Pikachu part:
Why was this a theme anyway? The whole thing never made sense.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's an excuse to prevent questions about canon from popping up. Basically instead of spending 20 years explaining how the Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Corneria, Pop Star, Kanto, Norfair, Skyworld, and Archanea can possibly be in the same universe, the characters are thrown into a parallel universe where the rules can be skewed with no ill effects. All of the Super Smash Bros. games do this.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
To me it makes sense. If you wanted a Ninja Turtle to duke it out with GI Joe in Polly Pocket's house you took all of these toys and started ramming stuff together.

I'm guessing Sakurai took the lazy and personal road instead of making up a huge cataclysmic event that brought these characters together for the sake of a story.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's an excuse to prevent questions about canon from popping up. Basically instead of spending 20 years explaining how the Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Corneria, Pop Star, Kanto, Norfair, Skyworld, and Archanea can possibly be in the same universe, the characters are thrown into a parallel universe where the rules can be skewed with no ill effects. All of the Super Smash Bros. games do this.
Yet most other crossovers don't do anything to explain how they all exist in the same universe. Marvel and Capcom characters in the same universe? No big deal - though if you really wanted to be anal about it, you could just that it's on Earth # something like in the Marvel comics.

To me it makes sense. If you wanted a Ninja Turtle to duke it out with GI Joe in Polly Pocket's house you took all of these toys and started ramming stuff together.

I'm guessing Sakurai took the lazy and personal road instead of making up a huge cataclysmic event that brought these characters together for the sake of a story.
The Great Maze reminds me of this, except bland and generic.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I know some people don't really like this idea, but I'd prefer it if they drop the whole "characters being trophies". It was cute in the beginning, but now, I just don't know. If they made an effort to fit everything into canon, perhaps then we would have gotten actual levels based on the different series and classic enemies, instead of the overuse of OCs in SSE and blandness. Even then, Smash is regarded as non-canon (right?), so even if they drop the trophy thing, they don't really need to make things fit into canon perfectly.

My only beef is that I want to play as my favourite characters, not toy figures. I want to save the universe feeling accomplishment, not saying "lol, everyone is toys. This whole entire adventure means nothing" (because I really felt like that in the end). Though, if they do keep the trophy theme, I won't complain. I just hope that the story mode will be better, something that's actually worthwhile to be included (I'm still having mixed feelings on the SSE. I don't really know if I'd rather have something like Adventure Mode in Melee).

Anyway, I'd love to see lots of interactions with various characters. There's some great ideas, and I'm curious to see how will different characters will interact with eachother. I'd be nice if they go with a more humorous tone, imo. I mean, Brawl had some funny moments and in the end I didn't feel like it took itself too seriously.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
My only beef is that I want to play as my favourite characters, not toy figures. I want to save the universe feeling accomplishment, not saying "lol, everyone is toys. This whole entire adventure means nothing" (because I really felt like that in the end). Though, if they do keep the trophy theme, I won't complain. I just hope that the story mode will be better, something that's actually worthwhile to be included (I'm still having mixed feelings on the SSE. I don't really know if I'd rather have something like Adventure Mode in Melee).
This is pretty much my sentiment on the whole thing. I want to play as the characters, not some knockoff of them.

D

Deleted member

Well, techincally, all of the Nintendo Universes are already connected in one way or another.

We've seen Samus and Link Cameo in Mario games, and Chain Chomps in Zelda games.

You can do many things in regard to story if you gave it a little thought.

It was just lazy writing if you ask me, but tbh, it doesn't surprise me Nintendo's never been good at telling a story. Metroid which arguably has the best story is just copying the Alien movies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It was just lazy writing if you ask me, but tbh, it doesn't surprise me Nintendo's never been good at telling a story. Metroid which arguably has the best story is just copying the Alien movies.
It's because they have the "gameplay before story" mentality. For them, mainly Miyamoto, the story comes after the gameplay, which sometimes doesn't lead to the best results.

Still, there are Nintendo games with good (by usual Nintendo standards) stories.

The Mario & Luigi games, some Zelda games, the Fire Emblem series and Kid Icarus: Uprising, for example, may not have the best stories in the world (then again, we're playing a game, not watching a movie), but they have their high moments, and good character characterization.

I still defend that SSB4's story should be more comical and lighthearted in nature, not unlike the Mario RPGs and Kid Icarus: Uprising.

D

Deleted member

I agree entirely, but Nintend SHOULD get some better writers. So far from what I can tell, SS seems to be a step in the right direction. Though, story should NOT be the focus for Zelda.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I agree entirely, but Nintend SHOULD get some better writers. So far from what I can tell, SS seems to be a step in the right direction. Though, story should NOT be the focus for Zelda.
Well, I understand your point.

I think Zelda: Skyward Sword was more linear compared to previous titles, likely to the story. Anyway, it's still possible to have a open world and still have a good story.

The question would be which games could have more focus on the story.

I think Kid Icarus: Uprising was also a step in the right direction. The story being comedic and not taking itself seriously was a breath of fresh air compared to many of current game stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom