• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Wait, if SMW2: Yoshi's Island counts as a Mario game, it's my favorite 2D platforming Mario game.

I just don't like to classify it as a Mario game because of the main protagonist being Yoshi and almost every aspect of the game being very different from Mario games.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
*shrugs.* What can I say? I really enjoyed the writing of Super Paper Mario over Partners in Time and TTYD. There were a lot of laugh out loud moments for me, especially with Francis.

I should mention that, at least in the RPG tier, the discrepancies between those rankings are marginal. I've really enjoyed all of the Mario RPG games, and it's really hard for me to pick one over another.

I'm surprised nobody's called me out on enjoying Super Mario World 2 more than any of the other platforming Mario titles.

Smooth Criminal

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
1. Super Mario RPG: You probably don't realize how much of a game changer this was unless you grew up with it. This was the game that pretty much proved that Mario could do anything and it was very exciting to think of what the future could hold. It had a great cast of characters, great humor, an absolutely legendary soundtrack, and a ton of content for a Mario game.This was the definitive game of my childhood.
I didn't necessarily grow up with Super Mario RPG, I played it very late, but I do recognize and appreciate what it did for the Mario franchise and gaming in general.
It's masterful and one of my very favorite RPGs ever. I only like the Paper Mario games more out of bias due to my personal experience and memories with it.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I'm surprised nobody's called me out on enjoying Super Mario World 2 more than any of the other platforming Mario titles.

Smooth Criminal
Because that's entirely understandable.
I like Yoshi's Island more than any 2D Mario platformer too.
It's a perfect videogame.
The main reasons I like it more are because of the mechanics, boss-fights, aesthetics, and soundtrack.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Favorite Mario Games ever? That's difficult considering I've played just about all of them. Mario 3, Paper Mario 64, Sunshine. Come to mind [Yes I said Sunshine, I liked how it changed up the formula introduced in 64] But I really could go on for ages about all the platformers, RPG's, Racers, Mario Parties. I quite enjoy the franchise in general

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
@ Shortie and SC: I don't even have the energy to be a douche anymore.

Just kidding, I just don't have the energy to interact with others much anymore, meaning it appears I'm no longer as much of a douche.

<3 u both 4evs and evs

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
1. Mario Kart series
2. Paper Mario TTYD
3. Super Mario World
4. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
5. New Super Mario Bros series

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Just curious, because it's my favorite videogame series, what's your guys' favorite Metroid game(s)?
I love every single one (with the exception of Other M), but my favorites are Super Metroid and the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy (in no particular order).
Also, I know that's a good portion of the Metroid series, so it's kinda silly that they're all my faves, but I really wouldn't be able to choose.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I'm just going to say this to make people mad...
But this is also my 100% truthful opinion that I feel about racing games

Kirby Air Ride > every Mario Kart game ever
I haven't played Air Ride in such a long time, but I remember it having the most infuriating turning ever and Meta Knight was OP in that game too iirc.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Favorite Mario game?

Favorite platforming title: Super Mario Sunshine (almost tied with Galaxy)
Favorite spin-off title: Mario Kart Wii (tied with Double Dash, but I have fondest memories of MKWii)
Other favorites of mine: New Super Mario Bros., Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour and pretty much all Mario RPGs I've played.

I do agree that Nintendo is milking Mario a lot recently... Sad, as I don't want to see the series go down the same path as other franchises that commit the same mistake of releasing too many titles per time period. New Super Mario Bros. 2 was an utter disappointment.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was good and introduced something never seen before in 2D Mario platformers. Also had good challenges, but one sticks out more than the others: World 9-7.

I think that, after NSMBU, they should end the New Super Mario Bros. series and take the series in a new direction.

But what I really wouldn't mind was that Nintendo would stop making Mario games for a while and resurrect some of their dormant series like F-Zero, Star Fox or even Mystery of Murasame Castle. A new, well-thought Metroid wouldn't hurt either, especially after the Other M fiasco.

I'm not saying Mario is bad, but everything in excess is bad. It spoils the series and that's not good. Steady release dates between major titles keeps the games fresh and that's why Smash is still hyped whenever a new title is released.

If some of the resources spent in Mario games had been spent in developing new IPs or titles from other, but especially long dormant, franchises, we would have a lot more variety to the consoles (both 3DS and Wii U). Guess we'll have to wait and see...

That's it for my mini-critique of the moment. :p (I wouldn't call it a rant.)

As for why I haven't been as active as a few days ago, that can be explained in three words: Fire Emblem: Awakening. (It's not just that, but still... :p)

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Just curious, because it's my favorite videogame series, what's your guys' favorite Metroid game(s)?
I love every single one (with the exception of Other M), but my favorites are Super Metroid and the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy (in no particular order).
Also, I know that's a good portion of the Metroid series, so it's kinda silly that they're all my faves, but I really wouldn't be able to choose.
This pretty much sums up my feelings on Metroid, too. Lmao.

Except it's not my favorite Nintendo franchise. xD

Smooth Criminal

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Since you brought up that subject I made a Metroid music video that celebrates 25 years of Metroid. Check it out!

Hope this isn't considered advertising I only posted it because it is on topic.
My favorite Metroid game is Super Metroid BTW

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Out of all the kart racers out there, I think it's a tie between Mario Kart: Double Dash and Diddy Kong Racing 64. I have never played Kirby Air Ride so i have no clue if it's good.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord

Well, it's your opinion, so whatever.
I actually played a ton of Kirby Air Ride as a kid. I recently revisited it, and it was disappointingly shallow.

Any of you played Crash Team Racing (for the Playstation 1)? My friend told me it was on par, if not better than Mario Kart games in several ways, and I recently played it, and he was actually right. I didn't feel that it's better than Mario Kart, but it's fantastic and great in every way.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I get to be a Franklin Badge or Rolling Crate.

1. Super Mario World (Advanced, suckas!).
2. M&L: Superstar Saga.
3. Luigi's Mansion.
4. Mario Kart Double D.
5. Paper Mario TTYD.
This.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Since you brought up that subject I made a Metroid music video that celebrates 25 years of Metroid. Check it out!
Awesome!
Metroid music is fantastic!

Yea, I saw a bunch of fan-made stuff for Metroid. It's disappointing that Nintendo didn't do anything themselves for it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For Metroid games, Super Metroid is my runaway favorite followed by Metroid Prime and then Metroid Fusion.

Super Metroid just did everything right for a game in general and is probably one of the most balanced gameplay experiences out there. It was difficult at times but nothing ulcer causing. It had just enough clairvoyance that exploring on your own was a worthwhile experience unlike the original Metroid which just made getting lost a monstrous headache. It had plenty of secrets, awesome boss fights and powerups, and was just the right amount of length to where it didn't seem like the game was dragging on. How this game had garbage sales in Japan is beyond me and, in my opinion, is one of the best games Nintendo has ever released.

Metroid Prime was refreshing in that it was the revival of the franchise that many people were hoping for. Perhaps it wasn't as innovative as Kid Icarus: Uprising but it did an exceptional job at putting the franchise back into the limelight.

Metroid Fusion was like Super Metroid except a lot more linear and with a ton more bosses. If the game didn't hold your hand so much and was a little longer, it probably could have been the best Metroid game.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Sunshine
3. Super Mario 3D Land
4. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
5. Super Mario Bros. 3
Spin Off: Mario Kart 7

After World they're in no particular order.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Metroid Prime was refreshing in that it was the revival of the franchise that many people were hoping for. Perhaps it wasn't as innovative as Kid Icarus: Uprising but it did an exceptional job at putting the franchise back into the limelight.
I think it was far more innovative than KI: U; the way it plays is brilliant and unconventional, and the way the story is told, through scanning and stuff, is incredibly clever.

KI:U is a far more traditional videogame experience, with a straightforward story, level pacing, and on-rails shooting (that's already been done in Sin and Punishment), and the on-foot was arcade 3rd-person shooting and was nothing revolutionary.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Alls I know is that after Smash, my favourite game with Mario is Super Mario RPG. It's also my favourite SNES game.

Favourite platformer is probably World, followed by Galaxy.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think it was far more innovative than KI: U; the way it plays is brilliant and unconventional, and the way the story is told, through scanning and stuff, is incredibly clever.

KI:U is a far more traditional videogame experience, with a straightforward story, level pacing, and on-rails shooting (that's already been done in Sin and Punishment), and the on-foot was arcade 3rd-person shooting and was nothing revolutionary.
I would argue it's more innovative in what they did with not only the gameplay but with the characters. Kid Icarus Uprising differs vastly from the previous two games while Metroid Prime was an expected transition. Metroid Prime kept a lot of the same core concepts as the previous games but instead had them in 3D. Kid Icarus Uprising pretty much reinvented the wheel for the franchise.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I would argue it's more innovative in what they did with not only the gameplay but with the characters. Kid Icarus Uprising differs vastly from the previous two games while Metroid Prime was an expected transition. Metroid Prime kept a lot of the same core concepts as the previous games but instead had them in 3D. Kid Icarus Uprising pretty much reinvented the wheel for the franchise.
Well, you're speaking within the context of the franchise, I mean as a standalone game.
What KI: U accomplishes as a game in general isn't as original as what Metroid Prime does.
Not only in gameplay and story expositon, but in visual design, music, and sound as well.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So what's everyone's favorite video game genre

I love RPGs the most
I'm a 3D Platformer VVhore. Love games like Banjo-Kazooie (Favorite game of all time), DK64, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Conker's Bad Fur Day, 3D Mario, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter etc...

Sadly this genre is practically extinct. :(

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, you're speaking within the context of the franchise, I mean as a standalone game.
What KI: U accomplishes as a game in general isn't as original as what Metroid Prime does.
Not only in gameplay and story expositon, but in visual design, music, and sound as well.
See, this is where it just boils down to a matter of opinions because I'd argue that Metroid Prime really didn't do anything new for Samus as a character or the worlds she explores. To me at least, it was definitely an overhaul as far as the things you mentioned but Kid Icarus Uprising was a complete re-imagining of a franchise that was fairly bare bones thanks to having a 25 year hiatus.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
See, this is where it just boils down to a matter of opinions because I'd argue that Metroid Prime really didn't do anything new for Samus as a character or the worlds she explores. To me at least, it was definitely an overhaul as far as the things you mentioned but Kid Icarus Uprising was a complete re-imagining of a franchise that was fairly bare bones thanks to having a 25 year hiatus.
Like I said, you're still speaking within the context of the franchise,
but whatever.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I'm a 3D Platformer VVhore. Love games like Banjo-Kazooie (Favorite game of all time), DK64, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Conker's Bad Fur Day, 3D Mario, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter etc...

Sadly this genre is practically extinct. :(
I'm the same exact way, except I like 2D platformers as much

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm the same exact way, except I like 2D platformers as much
I mess with 2D platfromers every now and then. I used to do speed runs of Yoshi Story when i was little.
I also actually pre-order Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze last week Tuesday.
2D platformers have been hit or miss for me I haven't been feel'n the NSMB games; they seem very lackluster to me.
And Kirby's Epic Yarn is ridiculously easy, or so i have been told.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I love RPGs the most
I'm having the hardest time picking between RPGs and 3D Platformers. On one hand B&K, but on the other GS... :laugh::dizzy:

Thinking about it makes me miss the 5th gen though, those genres were plentiful and at their peak then imo.
Though 4th gen was also great for RPGs...

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I mess with 2D platfromers every now and then. I used to do speed runs of Yoshi Story when i was little.
I also actually pre-order Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze last week Tuesday.
I haven't been feel'n the NSMB games they seem very lackluster to me.
Yea, the NSMB series got stale.
Best 2D platformers of 7th-gen, imo, are DKCR and Rayman Origins

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Who here has played Kid Icarus: Uprising?

I have and it really is an amazing game. Dare I say the only game where Nintendo actually did voice acting right.
I played it, and I gotta say the voice acting was pretty good. Not everyday you play a game with good english voice acting. I remember being on a weapon crafting binge last summer during my internship commute. Trying to craft weapons with the best stats & perks as possible. I was doing 9 level difficulty run through non-stop.
Online is pretty fun too!
Yea, the NSMB series got stale.
Best 2D platformers of 7th-gen, imo, are DKCR and Rayman Origins
I totally agree! DKCR was one of my favorites (despite the lack of King K. Rool). I love Rayman Origins's difficulty

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I like Fighting games the most.

As for most liked Mario...

Favorite 3D Platformer: Super Mario 64
Favorite 2D Platformer: Super Mario Bros. 3
Favorite RPG: Paper Mario
Favorite Sports: Mario Golf/Mario Tennis(n64 versions)
Favorite Other: Mario Party 3

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I totally agree! DKCR was one of my favorites (despite the lack of King K. Rool). I love Rayman Origins's difficulty
Yea, my only gripe with it is that it didn't exactly match the level of charm as the original DKC trilogy, but it excelled in all other aspects, so it was okay.
Oh, and the soundtrack wasn't as great as the original DKC games either, but again, the other aspects greatly overshadow that.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Fighting games. Then Racing.

Everything else is fun too, but those two really get me.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Whatever I feel in the mood for, usually 2D Platformers, Classic JRPGs, and Adventure games.

Only genre that I really dislike is Sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom