• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
To be honest I do not want to play Major's Mask. Mainly because my friend suffered nightmares for months of a specific occurrence in MM, which I think is about a half-man half-monster creature who comes out of the closet and scares the living crap out of you. As his innocent daughter calmly says "It's okay, he's my dad.. Go home". I don't really know if my friend is overrating how scary that was, but he looked pretty freaked out even after the passage of years. I think Majora's Mask was rated as the scariest Zelda game?
It's not scary as in Dead Space scary where things jump at you and shock you. It's scary in the sense that you're in a constant state of despair, as the apocalypse is nearing, and you're incredibly engaged in the entire thing.
It's really dark, and really doesn't hold much back at all.
It's honestly the best narrative I've seen in a Zelda game by far. It's often overlooked because it doesn't have the cinematic flair people are used to nowadays, but its story and characters are definitely the most captivating in Zelda history, and one of the best in all of gaming history.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
A sci-fi Zelda game reminds me of the concept art for ALTTP where Zelda had a space bikini... it is on page 143 of Hyrule Historia.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I did complete OoT a couple of months ago. Why would you choose Link's Awakening though? What's so special about it? It's a gameboy game IIRC.
The graphical constraints of the GB (or GBC, if you're playing DX, which is the version I would recommend) don't affect the experience at all. If anything, the 8-bit graphics make it all the more charming.
It follows along a structure similar to Link to the Past, except it's more unconventional, and its design is more clever. The temples' puzzles are more original, and so is the overall feeling of the game, and as a result it's also much less predictable and more rewarding (and fun).
It's essentially a perfect game if you ask me.

I could say the same things about Oracle of Ages too, but if you're gonna play an Oracle game, you gotta play the other. (I'm not throwing down my opinion on Seasons yet, because I'm currently playing through it and haven't finished it).

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
It's not scary as in Dead Space scary where things jump at you and shock you. It's scary in the sense that you're in a constant state of despair, as the apocalypse is nearing, and you're incredibly engaged in the entire thing.
It's really dark, and really doesn't hold much back at all.
That's the best description that could be put regarding Zelda game's horror/thriller side.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A SciFi Zelda and no one mentions this game? I am disappoint.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just like how "TP Link replaced OoT Link".
Toon Link and Young Link are the same character not just because they're Link but they're also a young variant.
They are different characters. Each Link is his own. I mean no doubt they look the same. It doesn't make them the same character though. That is like saying Demise is the same as Toon Ganondorf... simply not true.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
The graphical constraints of the GB (or GBC, if you're playing DX, which is the version I would recommend) don't affect the experience at all. If anything, the 8-bit graphics make it all the more charming.
It follows along a structure similar to Link to the Past, except it's more unconventional, and its design is more clever. The temples' puzzles are more original, and so is the overall feeling of the game, and as a result it's also much less predictable and more rewarding (and fun).
It's essentially a perfect game if you ask me.

I could say the same things about Oracle of Ages too, but if you're gonna play an Oracle game, you gotta play the other. (I'm not throwing down my opinion on Seasons yet, because I'm currently playing through it and haven't finished it).
Looks promising, might give it a try :)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I prefer Oracle of Seasons over Oracle of Ages because I like the changing seasons gimmick and because it doesn't have the frustrating Goron dance mini-game found in Oracle of Ages. Oh, and because it also has Roc's Cape.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just like how "TP Link replaced OoT Link".
Toon Link and Young Link are the same character not just because they're Link but they're also a young variant.
Well, Sheik and Impa are both Sheikahs... and Marth and Lucina are both blue-haired sword users... at least Impa and Lucina are genuine females unlike Sheik and Marth. :troll:

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
They are different characters. Each Link is his own. I mean no doubt they look the same. It doesn't make them the same character though. That is like saying Demise is the same as Toon Ganondorf... simply not true.
Well yes,they can't really be the same as they live in completly different timeline,but what I'm trying to get at is,Toon Link is closer to a different design,when Link went from Melee to Brawl,he changed design but he didn't become another character.
To be clearer,it's not as comparable as,say,if Black Shadow took Ganondorf's moveset.Or as others were saying,Lucina taking Marth's.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I prefer Oracle of Seasons over Oracle of Ages because I like the changing seasons gimmick and because it doesn't have the frustrating Goron dance mini-game found in Oracle of Ages. Oh, and because it also has Roc's Cape.
Yea, Oracle of Seasons is a blast so far. Only problem I've had with it is its layout. I accidentally entered and got halfway through the 6th Temple when I was supposed to go to the 4th. You can bypass a lot of obstacles by abusing the Pegasus Seeds and Roc Feather.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would love Masked Link. He could transform into Deku Link, Goron Link, and Zora Link via Down B and transform into Fierce Deity Link via Final Smash!

But realistically, I think Toon Link could either stay or get replaced with Classic Link from ALTTP/ALBW.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I would love Masked Link. He could transform into Deku Link, Goron Link, and Zora Link via Down B and transform into Fierce Deity Link via Final Smash!

But realistically, I think Toon Link could either stay or get replaced with Classic Link from ALTTP/ALBW.
Isn't Classic Link the same size as Adult/TP/SS Link?

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
It would be interesting though. If they're doing classic link, it could be similar to what they did to Mega Man. Take the sprite and turn it into a model.
Classic Link.jpg

They won't make a model out of the sprite, they'll just use the round-nosed catholic Link design.

I think it'd be better off as a costume.

Morbi

Scavenger

We run into the same problem with PKMN Trainer though. Realistically he would only have his Deku mask...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To be honest I do not want to play Major's Mask. Mainly because my friend suffered nightmares for months of a specific occurrence in MM, which I think is about a half-man half-monster creature who comes out of the closet and scares the living crap out of you. As his innocent daughter calmly says "It's okay, he's my dad.. Go home". I don't really know if my friend is overrating how scary that was, but he looked pretty freaked out even after the passage of years. I think Majora's Mask was rated as the scariest Zelda game?
I don't think scary is the right word. The world of Termina is kind of... ugly and depressing. As other people have said, it takes place in an apocalyptic setting and just about everything reflects that. A lot of people are just downright corrupt and despicable and it's kind of unnerving how much this mirrors real life. You see political scandals, people getting robbed in front of your face, people hording food during a food shortage, a swordsmen cowering in fear as the world is about to end, and not to mention that the whole story is literally driven by a child's overblown self importance and petty vendetta of revenge.That's right, people are literally dying in the streets and the world is being torn apart because a kid is carrying a grudge; how unnerving is that?

There's a lot of depressing stuff too that completely went over my head as a kid. There's people dying of starvation, several children throughout the game bemoan having no friends, there's a band that can't cope that one of their members died, there's a father who mourns the death of his son, there's a man that drunkenly talks about how much he misses his family and how much he's screwed up in life, there's a couple that embraces as the world comes to an end, there's a monkey that's going to be wrongfully put to death for a crime it didn't commit, there's an older sister that gets her little sister drunk so she won't feel any pain when the world ends, there's a little girl that stays with her dad despite him being turned into a monster, there's ghosts that bemoan mistakes they made hundreds of years ago, among a plethora of other things that starts to get to you if you think about it too much. Did I mention that the transformation masks you wear contain the souls of the forms you take on and that each area of the game is supposed to symbolize one of the 5 stages of death? Yeah, this game gets deep into the psychological stuff straight from the get-go.

Majora's Mask is probably the most adult of all the Zelda games (although Twilight Princess made an honest effort at doing this). Keep in mind that this game stars Young Link, who's only 10 years old, and he being subjugated to all of this. Sometimes the game is downright trippy too and the whole thing is basically what you get if you mixed Zelda with Donnie Darko and Alice and Wonderland. Overall, it's a beautiful game and an absolute joy to not only play through but to carefully analysis because, even with all the details I noted here, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I don't think scary is the right word. The world of Termina is kind of... ugly and depressing. As other people have said, it takes place in an apocalyptic setting and just about everything reflects that. A lot of people are just downright corrupt and despicable and it's kind of unnerving how much this mirrors real life. You see political scandals, people getting robbed in front of your face, people hording food during a food shortage, a swordsmen cowering in fear as the world is about to end, and not to mention that the whole story is literally driven by a child's overblown self importance and petty vendetta of revenge.That's right, people are literally dying in the streets and the world is being torn apart because a kid is carrying a grudge; how unnerving is that?

There's a lot of depressing stuff too that completely went over my head as a kid. There's people dying of starvation, several children throughout the game bemoan having no friends, there's a band that can't cope that one of their members died, there's a father who mourns the death of his son, there's a man that drunkenly talks about how much he misses his family and how much he's screwed up in life, there's a couple that embraces as the world comes to an end, there's a monkey that's going to be wrongfully put to death for a crime it didn't commit, there's an older sister that gets her little sister drunk so she won't feel any pain when the world ends, there's a little girl that stays with her dad despite him being turned into a monster, there's ghosts that bemoan mistakes they made hundreds of years ago, among a plethora of other things that starts to get to you if you think about it too much. Did I mention that the transformation masks you wear contain the souls of the forms you take on and that each area of the game is supposed to symbolize one of the 5 stages of death? Yeah, this game gets deep into the psychological stuff straight from the get-go.

Majora's Mask is probably the most adult of all the Zelda games (although Twilight Princess made an honest effort at doing this). Keep in mind that this game stars Young Link, who's only 10 years old, and he being subjugated to all of this. Sometimes the game is downright trippy too and the whole thing is basically what you get if you mixed Zelda with Donnie Darko and Alice and Wonderland. Overall, it's a beautiful game and an absolute joy to not only play through but to carefully analysis because, even with all the details I noted here, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Sometimes I think that I'd like to visit Termina. I love the design. The walled town and open field in the center, the snowy mountains, the sea, etc.

I also love how the game puts more focus on the personal lives and troubles of the NPCs. It makes them more...human, I guess.

A SciFi Zelda and no one mentions this game? I am disappoint.

What if there was a game based off "The Light of Courage"?

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
That is a pinpointed analysis on the situation. It did a quite a good job on reflecting real life and showing how such a simple cause can destroy the world itself.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Huh, surprised people remember that game.

By the way, Nintendo does not own the IP for The Guradian Legend, before anyone asks.
Such a shame that this game never got much attention or a sequel, it's easily the best example of a (good) genre blending game in the entire industry and was ahead of it's time in a lot of aspects. It sucks that Compile decided to pour their money into Puyo Puyo when they were putting out some of the best shoot em ups in gaming history.

To fans of Zelda/Metroid/Shoot em ups, I humbly ask you to play this highly overlooked gem.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Clock Town: Denial (Literally until the final hours, most people outright dismiss the end of the world here) Swamp area: Anger (the Deku Shrubs blame an innocent monkey for their problems and think killing him will fix everything), Snow area: bargaining (the gorons believe everything will be made better if their fallen hero somehow magically comes back to life), Ocean area: depression (the Zora band is depressed that their lead guitarist is dead), and Desert area: acceptance (the ghosts here talk about how it was their fault that their kingdom collapsed).

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Clock Town: Denial (Literally until the final hours, most people outright dismiss the end of the world here) Swamp area: Anger (the Deku Shrubs blame an innocent monkey for their problems and think killing him will fix everything), Snow area: bargaining (the gorons believe everything will be made better if their fallen hero somehow magically comes back to life), Ocean area: depression (the Zora band is depressed that their lead guitarist is dead), and Desert area: acceptance (the ghosts here talk about how it was their fault that their kingdom collapsed).
I'm in the process of reading that article. I love stuff like this. Stuff that makes you think.

In my last post, I was talking about how the characters of MM are more detailed and "human" (in my opinion.)
It reminded me of this:

If I recall correctly, the overall plot of the opera project is similar to the game, expect Link never arrives to save Termina...
It instead focuses on the problems faced by the NPCs.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
*holds up an index finger.*

Here you go.

Read this.

I gained a newfound appreciation for Majora's Mask after piecing together elements of the game I overlooked growing up and reading this essay.
Smooth Criminal
I always fully appreciated MM, but I never knew of this.
It's really interesting and cool to know.
Most thematic interpretations feel like an over-analysis, but this one is pretty spot-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom