• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
On the back of the NES box art version of Dr. Mario. It refers to Dr. Mario as Mario.

Sorry for the low res, best i could find.

Second sentence just says Mario throws multi-colored...

Can you post a link, to where Miyamoto says this? (This is some ground breaking **** right here. :laugh:)
All sites I have looked up have said Dr. Mario is Mario that has taken up a new occupation, or is Mario's alter ego.
I'm sure you right, Nintendo is known to backtrack erase and disregard past statements *cough*Legend of Zelda Time Line*cough*
*cough*Donkey Kong, Cranky Kong, Donkey Kong Jr.*cough*

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Metal Mario, Baby Mario and Dry Bowser are different people from Mario and Bowser and can coexist with them right? Or does Baby Mario uses time travel? This is like debating who is the Baby Yoshi from Yoshi Island DS.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Can you post a link, to where Miyamoto says this? (This is some ground breaking **** right here. :laugh:)
All sites I have looked up have said Dr. Mario is Mario that has taken up a new occupation, or is Mario's alter ego.
I'm sure you right, Nintendo is known to backtrack, erase and disregard past statements.
*cough*Legend of Zelda Time Line*cough*

http://www.geekosystem.com/miyamoto-explains-mario-not-doctor/

It has the full article linked to it too.

@KingofPhantoms47: I'm guessing clones for some characters like Dry Bowser. Or, as I said earlier, alternate universes. Or they're all different people acting?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Metal Mario, Baby Mario and Dry Bowser are different people from Mario and Bowser and can coexist with them right? Or does Baby Mario uses time travel? This is like debating who is the Baby Yoshi from Yoshi Island DS.
When Mario did his infinite lives trick in World 3-1, he created many Marios... one of them is Dr. Mario, one of them is Metal Mario, one of them is Mario in his sports outfit. :troll:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When Mario did his infinite lives trick in World 3-1, he created many Marios... one of them is Dr. Mario, one of them is Metal Mario, one of them is Mario in his sports outfit. :troll:

...Couldn't you make more actual Marios in Super Mario 64? I forgot if that was a gameshark or actual glitch.

Morbi

Scavenger
So Dr. Mario isn't licensed? :troll:

That explains why he prescribed KO's instead of Megavitamins in Melee. :troll:
He used to use Chill Pills as his projectiles. He also had his swag scrub, I mean seriously dat green scrub.

My theory is that Dr. Mario is a drug dealer. I mean with all of the shrooms and pill popping I think it makes sense. :drmario:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hmmm... The article/interview doesn't really say that they are different entities, but instead Mario is a illegitimate Doctor.

"So, I think that a doctor is sort of an unexpected and perhaps unbelievable role for Mario."

That part specifically.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
"So, I think that a doctor is sort of an unexpected and perhaps unbelievable role for Mario."

That part specifically.
I wouldn't really interpret that to be "Not the same person." I would just interpret that as "This role is somewhat unexpected for a person like Mario."
But, I guess it can have a different interpretations.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wouldn't really interpret that to be "Not the same person." I would just interpret that as "This role is somewhat unexpected for person like Mario"
But, I guess it can have a different interpretation than that.

That's what I'm saying. They're different people, possibly. Note that he doesn't outright say they're different people, just that they could be, with that exact wording.

Also, Sakurai did find them separate enough characters as is, so that might say something for Smash. Then again, Metal Mario was a different character as well, so...

@Arcadenik: What part of "probably different people" wasn't understood? Because that's what I said.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, Mario has multiple personality disorder. That's why Mario and Dr. Mario are two different people.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
That's what I'm saying. They're different people, possibly. Note that he doesn't outright say they're different people, just that they could be, with that exact wording.

Also, Sakurai did find them separate enough characters as is, so that might say something for Smash. Then again, Metal Mario was a different character as well, so...
Oh okay, Then yes it is possible that they could be different people. Well excuse my stubbornness, I still think they are the same person. :p
Lol Sakurai also put Future and and Past Versions of Link in the same game.

Ahh...Video game logic. The only thing that baffles me more than Physics...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Different people would require them to have separate bodies. :facepalm:

Which apparently they might have. Well, at least in Smash, officially.

They probably aren't the same person, regardless. Which really does make sense in Smash and the Mario series, considering how heavily different they are in personality.

@Moon Monkey: Eh, I'm with Miyamoto on this one. Different people, different characters. It honestly makes more sense to me. They're still entirely different in Smash. Same applies to Metal Mario except specifically in Super Mario 64 only.

@MexM: I'm guessing Cranky. DK Jr. is the current Donkey Kong.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pretty sure it's the actual DK, like with Baby Mario and Baby Luigi.

It'd more likely be Cranky, since Adult Mario first faces Cranky in the original Arcade game.

DK Jr. is confirmed to be Donkey Kong(current). Notably, DK Jr. and Cranky Kong(Giant DK in a sense) are in the same game. Also, we see DK Jr. somewhat grow up in Mario Kart. He's Jr. in Super Mario Kart, and then becomes Donkey Kong in Mario Kart 64.

D

Deleted member

There is no "confirmation" that DK Jr. is modern DK.
Especially since it's repeatedly said that Cranky is DK's grandfather, meaning that if Cranky was classic DK, then DK Jr. is modern DK's father, not modern DK.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It'd more likely be Cranky, since Adult Mario first faces Cranky in the original Arcade game.

DK Jr. is confirmed to be Donkey Kong(current). Notably, DK Jr. and Cranky Kong(Giant DK in a sense) are in the same game. Also, we see DK Jr. somewhat grow up in Mario Kart. He's Jr. in Super Mario Kart, and then becomes Donkey Kong in Mario Kart 64.
That does make sense. Super Mario Wiki says it's the current Donkey Kong though.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
@Moon Monkey: Eh, I'm with Miyamoto on this one. Different people, different characters. It honestly makes more sense to me. They're still entirely different in Smash. Same applies to Metal Mario except specifically in Super Mario 64 only.
Okay. Now I am confused. Didn't you say that you interpretation of Miyamoto's statement was that they were perhaps. maybe. perchance. possibly 2 different people? Correct?
That doesn't really sound like a concrete answer, It doesn't sound like he saying yes or no. it sounds like he said 'MAYBE :troll:"
He's hard-working, and certainly much more physical in nature. So, I think that a doctor is sort of an unexpected and perhaps unbelievable role for Mario
Even in context it sounds like he's saying that since Mario has more of a physical nature, a doctor seems out of place for Mario.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Mario having different personalities makes me want to draw parallels with K. Rool. :laugh:

Dr. Mario is to Mario what Baron K. Roolenstein is to King K. Rool. :p

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Weird. In DK 64, Cranky is DK's father and DK is supposed to be an older DK Jr. But in Country Returns, Cranky is DK's grandfather. So. Many. Plotholes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

That part specifically.
Personally I don't see this as hinting towards Mario and the Doc being separate entities, just a statement saying that people normally wouldn't expect someone like Mario to be a doctor, and would question how legitimate Mario's qualifications were. :p

I'm not getting involved in DK's lineage though, because that's just a headache to begin with. :laugh:

Oh, and happy bday Falkoopa! ^_^

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Weird. In DK 64, Cranky is DK's father and DK is supposed to be an older DK Jr. But in Country Returns, Cranky is DK's grandfather. So. Many. Plotholes.
Then Who the hell was the DK Jr in Mario Tennis 64!?

EDIT: So many Kongs! And what the hell has become of Swanky Kong!

EDIT AGAIN: Does this mean Candy Kong evolved into Wrinkly Kong to become DK Present's mother. Then who is Candy Kong Jr? And Why hasn't Diddy, Dixie and Kiddy aged...SO MANY QUESTIONS!?

*brain explodes*

D

Deleted member

The way I see it, there are two things Miyamoto could mean:

A. Dr. Mario takes place in an alternate universe from the Mario franchise, and thus is a completely different Mario.

or

B. Dr. Mario isn't a real doctor.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong that fought Mario. The Donkey Kong from DKC, also the current Donkey Kong, is DK Jr. all grown up. That's why Cranky Kong in the DKC games always talks about how much better he was than Donkey Kong back in his day.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They're all just actors anyway according to Miyamoto. Why hire another when the one you have can just pretend to be a doctor? :smirk:

Morbi

Scavenger
This is why I never want to develop a video game. Some where in a forum far away people will be picking at every little detail. If I accidentally messed up the time-line with one character I will be ****ed. I feel bad for these developers.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
A Mechon created by Ganon after using the 7 Chaos Emeralds to unleash Grima.
And Grima is Zekrom's undiscovered per-evolution that Team Plasma and Dr. Wily have been experimenting on and--....I think we have just figured out the new storyline for SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom