• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Nintendo doesn't organize tournaments or endorse a rule set. It's all up to the players.

Assuming we can customize characters I doubt they'll be allowed since so many things can be changed and keeping track of things to analyze and attempt to regulate would be a headache for TOs.
I think you misunderstood my post.

I meant that how you're able to select your custom character, the way to do so cannot be done when playing in tournaments.

As an example, let's say when you create a custom character, it's icon will show up on your roster.
On the roster for tournaments, the icon for this character will not appear, therefore preventing custom characters from being used.

D

Deleted member

I don't really have any proof but I think they were kept for awhile during the development process to "fold" them into other characters, kind of like taking pieces off a LEGO creation and using them to make something else. Pikachu gained some properties of Pichu, Mario gained some properties of Dr. Mario, Young Link became Toon Link, Ike shared some similarities with Roy, and Lucario shared some similarities with Mewtwo.
Pichu and Young Link were not within data.
This means they were not going to come back either way.

For Pichu, we don't know.
For Young Link, Toon Link (who was also a low-priority character) was to take his place.

Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario, however, are within the data as low-priority characters. (And no, they weren't just to "give other characters their properties", as Mewtwo and Roy have unused Victory theme data and there is a placeholder slot for Dr. Mario's missing Victory theme data between Roy's and Toon Link's.)

Also to note, is that these three Veterans were not the ONLY low-priority characters; there is also Jigglypuff, Toon Link (as previously stated), Wolf, and unused character Toon Zelda/"Toon Sheik". (Until more information is given about the identity, "pra_mai" will not be listed either way).
Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were merely the ones that were kept when time would not allow for everyone.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I played Mario games alot with my Mother when I was younger. We had a blast with em. We occasionally still fire up Mario 3 when I visit and she has the time. See who can get the most lives because we know the game like the back of our hands
My older sister played Mario with me. My Mom usually kicked my ass in Tekken and Battle Arena Toshinden to get me good enough to mop the floor with everyone else I played with. XD Then brought me into FPS games starting off with Doom, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein and Quake.

Many years later, I would watch her 100% every difficulty of the first 3 Devil May Cry games. I took on the 4th and plan to get the HD collection to takle 1 and 3. I'm skipping 2 like she wished she had. ¦D;

It's July 2 in my timezone already. Happy birthday to me. :p
Happy Birthday FalKoopa! =D

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Whoops. Thought someone else posted already XD;

This post is now VOID! =D

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wait... what?

I think I'm going to go lie down...

Huh. Weird, your picture only shows up when I quote it.

And yes. He implies(key term being this) that Mario wouldn't be a Doctor among his various roles. That he couldn't see him "doing" that. Albeit, he doesn't specifically say he isn't Dr. Mario, just probably not with his wording. As for Sakurai, we don't know his views, just that Dr. Mario was unique enough to justify being a full character over a costume. Even if he's a clone in Smash(although he does have some differences, and isn't almost exactly the same like Pichu was to Pikachu).

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I think you misunderstood my post.
I meant that how you're able to select your custom character, the way to do so cannot be done when playing in tournaments.
As an example, let's say when you create a custom character, it's icon will show up on your roster.
On the roster for tournaments, the icon for this character will not appear, therefore preventing custom characters from being used.
I understood your post. People just wouldn't play the custom character; just like Meta Knight in banned tourneys.

But outside of tournaments, does it really make THAT big of a difference? People can adapt.
The way I see it it's not so much about adapting but how much people would want to change their experience.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Failkoopa's birthday? Well um, it's that time again:

Happy Birhday, and Have a blast!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Saying Dr. Mario is a different person from Mario is like saying DIHSO is a different person from Daisy. *gasp* Is Michaellol really Miyamoto?! :troll:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thought Dr. Mario was Mario's alter ego???

Nope. That got jossed by Miyamoto himself. Nobody knows who it is now. He could be an alternate universe version, but he's not the same Mario from the Mario Party/Kart/Platformers/RPG's/Golf/Tennis/etc. games. It's an entirely different universe or he's somebody entirely else.

@Arcadenik: Too bad that's Miyamoto's call, not yours. They aren't the same guy anymore, at least how he views it. They probably never were.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
It's pretty sad since Superbot did legitimately care about PSASBR and they really wanted it to be successful. Hell, the guys were willing to work on it as long as they possibly could.
And then Sony cut them and gave it to SSM, who have yet to do /anything/ with it. (as expected, I mean just look at the latest twisted metal and starhawk)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Mario is really a doctor in real life. It's just that he and his nurse play a plumber and a princess in a show called Super Mario Bros. Just like how DIHSO plays a princess in said show. It's the only explanation why Mario and Bowser are always playing sports like best buddies. :troll:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mario isn't a Doctor.

He did not say anything specific to Peach, though. I think it really depends if Dr. Mario is an alternate version of Mario(as in a different one from the regular Mario) or not. I have two theories.

* Dr. Mario comes from a different universe than regular Mario. This means that Nurse Peach is a different Peach as well. Likewise, Wario and Metal Mario also exist in this universe as alternate versions.
* Dr. Mario isn't Mario at all and just looks similar to him. Everybody else has dressed up to play in his games. Like Metal Mario was the actual Mario.

The first theory works better since we see Baby Mario and Metal Mario in different games with Mario as separate characters. Also, Mario does officially play sports with Bowser and beats him up the next day. They're all actors with roles. Except Mario doesn't have a Doctor role apparently. According to Word of God, anyway. It doesn't fit his vision of what Mario is. He's essentially too violent, if you will, for the role.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Are Daisy and DIHSO the same person or are they separate characters?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So a reverse Pre-Brawl Villager? :awesome:

Hell yes. :awesome:

Both Daisy's are the same, yes. Because her roles don't contradict what she does. He has made no statements about any characters besides Mario and Dr. Mario probably being different. Everybody else are just actors with various roles.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Mario isn't a Doctor.

He did not say anything specific to Peach, though. I think it really depends if Dr. Mario is an alternate version of Mario(as in a different one from the regular Mario) or not. I have two theories.

* Dr. Mario comes from a different universe than regular Mario. This means that Nurse Peach is a different Peach as well. Likewise, Wario and Metal Mario also exist in this universe as alternate versions.
* Dr. Mario isn't Mario at all and just looks similar to him. Everybody else has dressed up to play in his games. Like Metal Mario was the actual Mario.

The first theory works better since we see Baby Mario and Metal Mario in different games with Mario as separate characters. Also, Mario does officially play sports with Bowser and beats him up the next day. They're all actors with roles. Except Mario doesn't have a Doctor role apparently. According to Word of God, anyway. It doesn't fit his vision of what Mario is. He's essentially too violent, if you will, for the role.
On the back of the NES box art version of Dr. Mario. It refers to Dr. Mario as Mario.
Sorry for the low res, best i could find.

Second sentence just says Mario throws multi-colored...

Can you post a link, to where Miyamoto says this? (This is some ground breaking **** right here. :laugh:)
All sites I have looked up have said Dr. Mario is Mario that has taken up a new occupation, or is Mario's alter ego.
I'm sure you right, Nintendo is known to backtrack, erase and disregard past statements.
*cough*Legend of Zelda Time Line*cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom