• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
*Checks out the Smash Bros. Community on Miiverse again*

o_o Man, I forgot how totally depressing and brain cell killing that community is.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Didn't Sakurai pick Roy to promote sales in America and for the new game coming out? If so then Sakurai did pick a character with sales in mind, just in a different way than people are thinking.
Nope, Roy was chosen because he was the best choice for a clone of Marth.

Also, how can you promote sales for Fire Emblem if Fire Emblem didn't have any established presence in North America at the time? Not to mention Marth and Roy being complete strangers wouldn't of made people rush out and get copies of Super Smash Bros. Melee just to play as them; especially for Roy.

Morbi

Scavenger
Didn't Sakurai pick Roy to promote sales in America and for the new game coming out? If so then Sakurai did pick a character with sales in mind, just in a different way than people are thinking.
No. This is precisely the way I am thinking. He cross-promotes all of the games by including the characters.

@Habanero

He means they were included in Melee to promote Fire Emblem in America. His inclusion in Melee would have familiarized people with the series. He didn't mean promoting Melee... he meant promoting Fire Emblem.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Which is contradicted by both Marth and Roy almost being scrapped for international versions of Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Well, no. It is not contradicted because they were not canceled. If they were cancelled sure, but they were not.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
*Checks out the Smash Bros. Community on Miiverse again*

o_o Man, I forgot how totally depressing and brain cell killing that community is.
Your telling me.. I found this gem while I was looking around.

Its not even worth commenting..

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, no. It is not contradicted because they were not canceled. If they were cancelled sure, but they were not.
Don't know, having an original intention to scrap those characters for international releases of Super Smash Bros. Melee and the statement of having both of those characters being included to promote Fire Emblem in North America seems contradictory.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure that someone posted something in this thread that Sakurai didn't remove Marth and Roy because he didn't want there to be backlash because the US version got a smaller roster.

Don't quote me on that though.

Morbi

Scavenger
Which is contradicted by both Marth and Roy almost being scrapped for international versions of Super Smash Bros. Melee.
The point is that they did help promote Fire Emblem in America. Whether or not that was Sakurai's intent is a different story. I mean you can nitpick at the argument that sales are the primary reason a character is chosen. However, that is not what I am saying or arguing for. I am making the rational assumption that well-known characters are chosen based on the fact that they are well known and making Nintendo money. I like to believe that SSB is a medium for promoting several Nintendo games. Sales are involved whether or not you choose to believe it. The question is how SIGNIFICANT are they in influencing the appearance of a newcomer? That is where we are getting are different perspectives. I think sales are more significant because it is more rational to me. You think sales are not significant because the game-play matters, which is more relevant to you. Both are extremely important when making SSB. I just happen to think that sales are one of the more important aspects of the game while you think they are merely considered. That is the only difference. I lean on one side of the spectrum while you are leaning on the other.

The most important thing to consider is that no one is necessarily right. This is merely speculation. So for all you know you could be wrong. For all I know I could be wrong. I don't even know why we are debating this. From what I can tell we both have reasonable perspectives. They are just different. Hence why I called it a circular argument. We aren't really getting anywhere. It is just the same stuff over and over again.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Not that I'm all for Krystal being in this game, but I really like the idea of that staff from Adventures making it into Sm4sh. Maybe Sakurai can give us another WTF slot by adding the staff as its own character. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Nobody cares about Krystal, they only care about her staff. Must be a god damn good staff if people go all googly eye for it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Don't know, having an original intention to scrap those characters for international releases of Super Smash Bros. Melee and the statement of having both of those characters being included to promote Fire Emblem in North America seems contradictory.
Well, duh. The final reason to keep them could have been the realization that America will become familiar with a popular Japanese series and add to sales. And now that they have been positively received, maybe Sakurai will introduce more Japanese exclusive characters.

Not cutting won over cutting.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, duh. The final reason to keep them could have been the realization that America will become familiar with a popular Japanese series and add to sales. And now that they have been positively received, maybe Sakurai will introduce more Japanese exclusive characters.
Oh god please no. I hope Takamaru is the only one. :laugh:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

Not cutting won over cutting.

****ing Mother 3 not in America, but Lucas in Smash Bros... Grrrrr...

Yeah, that could be cool.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Another factor is adding a newer series. Brawl only has characters that originated on consoles older than the Wii. Wii needs some characters.
Arcade era (1973-1983): Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Mr. Game & Watch

NES era (1983-1990): Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario, Link, Zelda, Young Link, Samus, Pit, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Marth, Snake, Mega Man

SNES era (1990-1996): Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Yoshi, Wario, Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon, Ness, Sonic

N64 era (1996-2001): Sheik, Ganondorf, Wolf, Pikachu, Pokémon Trainer Red, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu

GCN era (2001-2006): Toon Link, Toon Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, Lucario, Plusle & Minun, Roy, Ike, Lucas, Villager

Wii era (2006-2012): Wii Fit Trainer

Well, looks like SSB4 isn't gonna have characters who originated on Wii U. :troll:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I hope this doesn't come across as offensive, but this reminds me how my nursery school wanted me to be tested for autism, ADD, and ADHD, all of which I tested negative for and my parents never suspected that I had.

I'm a strange one to most people.
Not at all!

My mum's pretty much the opposite. I haven't been officially tested for teurets but it would seem I have all the ticks. She said I could go and decide to get it fixed if I wanted to but she also thought it was likely I would be given medication anyway if I got it tested at all. I had the choice and decided against it hah. I dunno... these ticks are part of me, and why should I have to take medication to have them go? :D

Also, since I already have a pic of me on the boards, here's a slightly older one for fun. :p Don't worry i'm not depressed or anything, I just always have shadows under my eyes for some reason - but i'm still super happy! :p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, looks like SSB4 isn't gonna have characters who originated on Wii U. :troll:
That isn't really surprising. Every Smash game tries to catch up with the characters that were left behind or introduced after the the previous game. This is especially the case, as the games begin development early in the their respective consoles' life cycle (except for the first one, obviously).

Morbi

Scavenger
I wonder why you'd be pessimistic over the idea of including characters that only existed in Japan. I mean, it's not like a new concept to Super Smash Bros. or anything.
I like to have characters that I know and can relate to in the game. I tend to not like characters that I feel were unnecessary inclusions such as Ice Climbers, G&W, and R.O.B. I never said it was a new concept in Super Smash Bros. I just don't want them to continue the trend... if you can call two times a trend. :psycho:

My main point is that Takamaru is reasonable because he has demand. Adding obscure Japan Exclusive characters in an international release game is not cool to me.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The Soul Calibur guys are lending some man-power towards the development of this game correct?
I'm sure they can provide some insight on ways Takamaru can swing his sword. Same goes for the the entire potential FE newcomer pool. (Easy guys! I'm not starting a FE discussion here! Lets keep it on Takamaru)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Speaking of Lip, I found a better way to mark her deconfirmed as a playable:

If I see Kirby using her garbage block as the cameo on Stone-move again, well, that's that.

Just preparing myself.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
The Soul Calibur guys are lending some man-power towards the development of this game correct?
I'm sure they can provide some insight on ways Takamaru can swing his sword. Same goes for the the entire potential FE newcomer pool. (Easy guys! I'm not starting a FE discussion here! Lets keep it on Takamaru)
What? You want to start a FE discussion? Okay. Well I think Roy should use his sword with lots of vertical and horizontal slashes and Marth can...*discussion continues on, turns into a long-winded argument, then disappears to be brought up later on down the thread*

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Hey guys, did you know? Anna can use staffs, Krystal has some competition. :3

Morbi

Scavenger
You must have hated poor Lucas then. What did he ever do to you
I actually loved Lucas. He was a more fun Ness and his hair was swag. His personality was also something different that you don't really see in games nowadays. He was a reasonable choice. I actually wouldn't have been disappointed if he replaced Ness. I didn't really mind Marth or Lucas. I didn't really like Ness or Roy. I have had time to get used to Ness though. So no problems with the characters that they already have. I just don't want too much more. :)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think a better statement would be if Lip's Stick was confirmed as an item again.

I thought the same thing too, but then I thought about the whole Screw Attack-thing again.

It can go both ways. Lip could still field her stick as Samus could use Screw Attack anyway.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I actually loved Lucas. He was a more fun Ness and his hair was swag. His personality was also something different that you don't really see in games nowadays. He was a reasonable choice. I actually wouldn't have been disappointing if he replaced Ness. I didn't really mind Marth or Lucas. I didn't really like Ness or Roy. I have had time to get used to Ness though. So no problems with the characters that they already have. I just don't want too much more. :)
Alrighty haha. I can see your point a bit better now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom