• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I like the one with Marth being used by Samus, Sheik, and Peach. So to some degree it's MarthxZelda.
If you look at my original quote where I challenged you all, I said that one doesn't count, along with another one.

How to get past stage fright 101, how I got past stagefright and being incredibly shy: Simply do.
I changed myself with sheer willpower, you can all do likewise, never give up hope and always look for opportunities, not to prove yourself to someone, but to improve yourself.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Quick question guys. Between Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Project X Zone, which one would you buy?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Quick question guys. Between Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Project X Zone, which one would you buy?
Animal Crossing really doesn't appeal to me, so I would go with Project X zone by default.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I have stage freight baaaaaaaaaaaad lol I'm not good with talking and putting my thoughts into words

Can't stand being the center of attention either
You're not the only one. Even when I had to do role plays I always just froze and had no idea what to say. :laugh:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
All the people who have made Rare what it is today was in 2002 have all left. They actually planning on forming up and making a new studio from scratch. They said they are going to announce a game in the works in 2014. They also are making a game called Rusty Pup for the eShop i believe.
Also Ken Lobb is still working on the new Killer Instinct.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Between Animal Crossing and Project X Zone, I'd choose the latter. I like crossovers and RPGs, so there.

For PXZ, I'd recommend to try out the demos. If you're in Europe, the second demo is already out, but it will be released on this week in North America.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
If you don't mind a bias vote, New Leaf by far. If you want, i can give you a house gift (Fire Flower or Green Shell).
If you get New Leaf, prepare to waste hours among hours doing random stuff. (That's also fun)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh I'd personally go for Animal Crossing New Leaf but I guess that's a little biased since I've played the game and enjoyed it a little while projext X Zone doesn't really appeal to me, then again I guess I should try it first.

Speaking of New Leaf....
My Link outfit is almost complete! I Just need the boots. :bee:
And yes, that's the villager design who is playable in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS I'm playing as.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Eh I'd personally go for Animal Crossing New Leaf but I guess that's a little biased since I've played the game and enjoyed it a little while projext X Zone doesn't really appeal to me, then again I guess I should try it first.

Speaking of New Leaf....
My Link outfit is almost complete! I Just need the boots. :bee:
And yes, that's the villager design who is playable in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS I'm playing as.
Cool, I got Majora's Mask today and Club LOL.
Do you know how to talk to KK? Or is it only on Saturday nights like previous games?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Cool, I got Majora's Mask today and Club LOL.
Do you know how to talk to KK? Or is it only on Saturday nights like previous games?

I don't have Majora's Mask yet but I did get the Master Sword today (Which you can see in the picture of course).

I think it's on Saturday nights yes. I unlocked club LOL as well.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Wow,last page is sad.My childhood was alike too.
But things got luckier when I could shut their mouth by myself.Not sure how,but punching someone in the face in the middle of the class gets them expelled from school and gets me with no after effect and I could even stay at home for 2 days.And so far,I haven't been bullied again.

As for the games,Animal Crossing is more casual and Project X Zone is a more hardcore-sided game but if like me that's not important to you,I can only let the others help you.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Who gives a damn about rating chances, Wii Fit Trainer should of **** all over that notion of predicting odds.
Eh, WFT didn't enter most people's minds. However, I think a non-negligible number of people would have said she's a possibility (as in >1%) had she been brought up. Simply because we know Sakurai has picked some choices from out of left field before (Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, ROB).

But it's not as if the fact that she got in means we're going to get a Kremling, Wiz Pig, Tatanga, Dry Bones, Slippy, Adam Malkovich, Groose and Sephiroth as our newcomers. I see no reason to assume she's anything more than an outlier. Mega Man and Villager were both highly wanted and fairly expected newcomers (and if not for Sakurai's comments during Brawl's development, most people would've thought Villager was a lock).

Morbi

Scavenger
Eh, WFT didn't enter most people's minds. However, I think a non-negligible number of people would have said she's a possibility had she been brought up. Simply because we know Sakurai has picked some choices from out of left field before (Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, ROB).

But it's not as if the fact that she got in means we're going to get a Kremling, Wiz Pig, Tatanga, Dry Bones, Slippy, Adam Malkovich, Groose and Sephiroth as our newcomers. I see no reason to assume she's anything more than an outlier. Mega Man and Villager were both highly wanted and fairly expected newcomers (and if not for Sakurai's comments during Brawl's development, most people would've thought Villager was a lock).
You forgot to mention that Wii Fit Trainer is in one of the best selling Wii games, Wii Fit. I mean a lot of these other crazy requests are from games I have never heard of. While I have never personally played Wii Fit, I did know of it's existence. I did know that it was very successful. Some of the other requests are obscure just to be obscure. Wii Fit Trainer wasn't even really that crazy. When you look at the numbers she was a given.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One problem with that sales talk is that the character Wii Fit Trainer was not even included because of that at all. It had to do more with introducing something absurd and surprising, and her movements provided a "dancing/graceful" vibe to it.

Morbi

Scavenger
One problem with that sales talk is that the character Wii Fit Trainer was not even included because of that at all.
You know of this how? I am pretty sure sales were a contributing factor. In the end Nintendo wants to secure a profit. There is no doubt in my mind that Wii Fit Trainer made it in the game because she is one of the most iconic Wii Exclusive characters. You can pretend Sakurai just pulled her out of a magical hat and that sales were not a significant attribute in choosing her all you want. Money is definitely the most practical reason that Sakurai would take a risk like that. Luckily his risk is paying off and a lot of people are happy about her inclusion. Myself included.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Another factor is adding a newer series. Brawl only has characters that originated on consoles older than the Wii. Wii needs some characters.

Morbi

Scavenger
That is nice and all. I looked at both links and none of them support your argument. This is the closest thing I got out of it.
"is that the villager and trainer were not choices we made for the sake of cheap novelty. Each has their own unique attacks and battle strategies, and they make the game more interesting. If I have an image of a character in my mind that dances around and jibes with what I want, then that's the most important thing. On the other hand, even if you have a character suited for a fighting game, if you can't make him stick out from the pack and extract something unique from him, then what can you do?"
This just tells me that he knew that Wii Fit Trainer had a move-set potential. I never claimed that the only reason she was added was because of her game Wii Fit. However, I did say it was a contributing factor. I also stated that she wasn't added in just because she was obscure. I agree with you. No doubt there are multiple reasons for ANY character to make it in the game. You would have to be stupid to claim that her iconic role had nothing to do with it. I am sure there have been other dancing Nintendo stars. None of them are in the game. There are a ton of Nintendo characters that have their own unique feel... they weren't in a good game. That is all I am saying. The Nintendo Direct didn't even support your argument. All I got from it was that she uses moves that she thinks will contribute to her health.

Another notion I would like to bring up is that Sakurai will never blatantly say that he adds characters because they are popular. You would have to be blind not to see it though. Villager could have been unique in Brawl. It didn't take Sakurai 4 years to come up with a villager move-set. The reality of the situation is that Animal Crossing is more popular... so now he is going to add an Animal Crossing character.

Lastly... I quoted you before your edit. To me it just seemed like you were jumping in with an opinion that didn't mean anything. Actually it still does. I will now add a disclaimer...

IMHO Wii Fit Trainer was added because she made Nintendo millions. Her unique move-set and obscure appearance helps her out. However, the primary reason is some of dat Mooney (cha-ching). There.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I think that she was included primarily because Sakurai had an idea on how to use her. HOWEVER, if it were not for the sales of Wii Fit, can we say that she would've occurred to Sakurai at all?

People here are hardcore gamers, and not interested in games like that, so most of us would never have thought about her.

I don't think Sakurai would've included her because of Wii Fit's sales if he didn't have any good idea about how to use her and didn't think she would make an interesting/fun/out there addition to the game. But I think without her sales, she would've been much less likely to have been considered and decided upon.

Also, when you also think about the notion that the game is for Nintendo's all-stars, well, it's her sales that make her fit in in that sense. I don't think they're irrelevant.

ETA: I don't think, however, that she was added to promote Wii Fit or because they think she'll bring in tons of sales because of how popular Wii Fit is. The audiences for Smash Bros and Wii Fit are VERY different, and I highly doubt anyone will buy Smash Bros because their favorite trainer is in it. I also doubt appearing in Smash Bros will make much of a difference to Wii Fit's sales. I don't think she was added as some kind of money grab, at all.

I think it's relevant in the sense that she's not unheard of, she represents something significant about Nintendo and her sales make her plausible to refer to as an "all-star." If Wii Fit had been a flop, I see basically no way she would've been included, since she would have represented a failure of Nintendo's, been unknown, and most certainly not an all-star. There's a reason you don't hear much about Virtual Boy and it's not because Nintendo doesn't remember it existed.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I bet Sakurai made a list of potential new series. Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, and... Wii Fitness. And his eyes lit up. And he realized no one would see Wii Fit Trainer coming. Not only did he have a new character from a new series, he had his WTF character.

Morbi

Scavenger
By the way, why does everyone assume that sales do mean a lot?
I really hope you are trolling. I truly, for the sake of god, hope this is a joke.

I will give you the quick version. Sales matter because they are making a product to turn a profit. Bottom line. They also want consumers to recognize the characters. Sales help with that. It doesn't mean everything. It does mean a lot though. Once you get older you will understand.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
By the way, why does everyone assume that sales do mean a lot?
Sales don't mean much by themselves, but it does act as an indicator of the popularity of a character. So it does contribute to a character's chances indirectly.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That interview says nothing about Wii Fit Trainer being chosen because she 'dances.' His use of the word 'dance' was not literal, it was in relation to his character visions coming alive and moving fluidly in front of him.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I really hope you are trolling. I truly, for the sake of god, hope this is a joke.

I will give you the quick version. Sales matter because they are making a product to turn a profit. Bottom line. They also want consumers to recognize the characters. Sales help with that. It doesn't mean everything. It does mean a lot though. Once you get older you will understand.
How many people do you know actually recognized Game & Watch when he was in Melee? Or ROB in Brawl.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not even joking, tell me ONE TIME sales were stated to be a reason to include a character.
I kind of thought that was the premise of the game. I mean the whole concept of the game is to gather Nintendo All-Stars, obviously sales are a big part of becoming an iconic Nintendo character. I guess you could find me ONE TIME that sales were stated to not be a reason to include a character. I guess this argument is pretty circular. You think Sakurai is just adding characters with a magical hat. I think he is adding characters that are well represented. Just a matter of perspective, so agreed to disagree. :awesome:

@FalchionX7

I think that is what we might call... an exception to the rule. If you are insinuating that Wii Fit Trainer correlates to the 4 3 RETRO exceptions... she does not (sales + year).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I'm not even joking, tell me ONE TIME sales were stated to be the reason to include a character.

Go ahead, try me.
Didn't Sakurai pick Roy to promote sales in America and for the new game coming out? If so then Sakurai did pick a character with sales in mind, just in a different way than people are thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom