• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I think it'll be good.

The importance of connectivity Sakurai mentioned is what I would think about if I thought about Smash on the 3DS since that could go either way in terms of quality with the info we have atm.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it'll be different from what we're used to, but still very enjoyable. Just a hunch.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Man, right when my winter break started and when I was really hungry for some Smash news Sakurai drops that bombshell. XP I appreciate him being honest though and I don't think the wait for news will be that much longer. Brawl was in development for almost exactly 2 years and SSB4 is about to hit it's one year anniversary in development so I think the time is drawing close. Brawl's first trailer was released after the game was in development for 8 months and it's speculated that SSB4 hit month 9 within the past week so, again, I'd very surprised if absolutely nothing surfaced by the end of March.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
but, the more we wait until the reveal, the more info about the game we'll have once it's finally revealed, right?

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Man, right when my winter break started and when I was really hungry for some Smash news Sakurai drops that bombshell. XP I appreciate him being honest though and I don't think the wait for news will be that much longer. Brawl was in development for almost exactly 2 years and SSB4 is about to hit it's one year anniversary in development so I think the time is drawing close. Brawl's first trailer was released after the game was in development for 8 months and it's speculated that SSB4 hit month 9 within the past week so, again, I'd very surprised if absolutely nothing surfaced by the end of March.
Holy smokes, its fatmanonice!~

All we need now is fliptroopa and Tikaro :awesome:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I remember Fatman from my lurking days. Are you finally back on the scene?

...and you should totally come to the Muddy Mole thread if you still support him, Fatman...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
but, the more we wait until the reveal, the more info about the game we'll have once it's finally revealed, right?
Yes but I'm the kind of person that can have something almost completely spoiled by the time it comes out and still enjoy everything just as enthusiastically as if I didn't know anything at all. In my 22 years of gaming, waiting for Brawl was one of the most fun experiences I've had when it comes to gamer culture. I prefer to get the "newness" of a game out of the way first so that I can fully enjoy it for its content. Take Brawl for instance. It came out nearly 5 years ago and I still enjoy it just as much despite playing it for countless hours and unlocking everything within the first month of owning the game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Speaking of Brawl, the Project M version of Zamus has been revelead.

What are you thoughts? Now this, is a character that I can get behind. I love characters with a strong sense of mobility while working to get in.

To keep it more on topic, the tether system in Project M was changed to where you can no longer edgeguard tethers. Obviously, this is a big buff for some characters like Olimar and Ivysaur. Do you think this should be implemented for Smash 4?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

What are you thoughts? Now this, is a character that I can get behind. I love characters with a strong sense of mobility while working to get in.

To keep it more on topic, the tether system in Project M was changed to where you can no longer edgeguard tethers. Obviously, this is a big buff for some characters like Olimar and Ivysaur. Do you think this should be implemented for Smash 4?
I don't care because there is no video.

I do like the tether recovery change, though I'd like to see how it works. Do you just hang there until the ledge is free.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

No because I think Ivysaur is the only character it seriously hindered. Both Olimar and ZSS's recoveries were balanced out by having above average jumps and ZSS has another recovery method (down B) at her disposal.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
No because I think Ivysaur is the only character it seriously hindered. Both Olimar and ZSS's recoveries were balanced out by having above average jumps and ZSS has another recovery method (down B) at her disposal.
But those jumps do nothing for them if they get hit at or below stage level and that makes for easy edgehoging by the opponent. Most characters won't have that problem due to their recovery propelling them upwards.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Whether or not it only hindered Ivysaur is irrelevant. It's a big change for the mechanic as a whole so while Olimar and Zamus may not have needed the buff as much, a buff is a buff.

By the way, watching that the stream with PM Zamus really amazed me with her new stuff. It looks like she has Chun-Li's stomp and Cammy's Hooligan and Dive Kick - or they were at least inspired by them (so don't get your panties in a bunch, Chu). What I do like especially is that Zamus' Hooligan was made to look like her jump animation in Zero Mission.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Yeah, I love that hopping while in the B down (or whatever button) jump state. That is genius. Her Brawl moveset was already really good and entertaining, but now, I feel like they gave it something that her character, moveset, and Brawl as a whole is lacking: EXCITEMENT!
The Melee tether recovery system was clearly nearly perfect, and it was also easier. There's no reason it shouldn't return.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I want the Melee recovery back. BUT I'd want it to be easy to execute like in Brawl. (No air-dodge prior to tether).

Ivysaur's main suckiness comes because of the way tether works in Brawl. And... is it me or should tether be a shoulder-button exclusive move instead of an UP+B?

It should be an ALTERNATIVE way of recovering, not the MAIN one.

Ivysaur could've at least used her rotating leaves as a helicopter to keep altitude (in the DK fashion).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ivysaur also suffered from being weak to fire based attacks (which is everywhere) and the stamina mechanic limiting it's usefulness.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ shin
Agreed. Having a tether recovery as your primary recovery means for characters, especially smaller ones, is stupid.

Also, I just realized this, but Link would be way better with Melee tether recovering in Brawl. Of course, not sucking terribly and having a God awful recovery would help, too. The Twilight Princess development team screwed up Zelda, Ganondorf, Link, and kinda sorta Sheik big time in Brawl!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, I love that hopping while in the B down (or whatever button) jump state. That is genius. Her Brawl moveset was already really good and entertaining, but now, I feel like they gave it something that her character, moveset, and Brawl as a whole is lacking: EXCITEMENT!
IDK about entertaining, but it was a pretty good moveset. But yes, these changes add a lot more "character" into her playstyle. These changes really do show what you can do under limitations - though I hear PM Lucario is god tier, likely due to him being the only one with chains and special canceling.

Ivysaur also suffered from being weak to fire based attacks (which is everywhere) and the stamina mechanic limiting it's usefulness.
Neither of which should've been in the game.

Also, I just realized this, but Link would be way better with Melee tether recovering in Brawl. Of course, not sucking terribly and having a God awful recovery would help, too. The Twilight Princess development team screwed up Zelda, Ganondorf, Link, and kinda sorta Sheik big time in Brawl!
Twilight Princess team had nothing to do with them in Brawl save for how they looked. As usual, that was Game Arts being stupid.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm getting curious on how much memory on the Wii U disc and 3DS cartridge he will use for the Smash games. It's definitely going to be way bigger than a dual layered Wii disc (can't say the same for the 3DS cartridge though.) So here are the specs of previous consoles that had a Smash Bros and specs on Wii U and 3DS as well (note I'm using the North American versions of the game for sizes):

Maximum size of a Nintendo 64 cartridge: 64 Megabytes
Size of Super Smash Bros.: 11.95 Megabytes (18.7% of possible memory used)

Maximum size of a GameCube disc: 1.5 Gigabytes
Size of Super Smash Bros. Melee: 1.36 Gigabytes (90.7% of possible memory used)

Maximum size of a Wii disc: 8.5 Gigabytes
Size of Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 7.92 Gigabytes (93.2% of possible memory used)

Maximum size of a Wii U disc: 25 Gigabytes

Maximum size of a 3DS card: 8 Gigabytes

Do you think Sakurai will use all 25 GB on Smash Wii U?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'm getting curious on how much memory on the Wii U disc and 3DS cartridge he will use for the Smash games. It's definitely going to be way bigger than a dual layered Wii disc (can't say the same for the 3DS cartridge though.) So here are the specs of previous consoles that had a Smash Bros and specs on Wii U and 3DS as well (note I'm using the North American versions of the game for sizes):

Maximum size of a Nintendo 64 cartridge: 64 Megabytes
Size of Super Smash Bros.: 11.95 Megabytes (18.7% of possible memory used)

Maximum size of a GameCube disc: 1.5 Gigabytes
Size of Super Smash Bros. Melee: 1.36 Gigabytes (90.7% of possible memory used)

Maximum size of a Wii disc: 8.5 Gigabytes
Size of Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 7.92 Gigabytes (93.2% of possible memory used)

Maximum size of a Wii U disc: 25 Gigabytes

Maximum size of a 3DS card: 8 Gigabytes

Do you think Sakurai will use all 25 GB on Smash Wii U?
One thing with this, though, is that the graphics may take up a bigger piece for the Wii U version, so it's not like you can presume that SSB4 will be 2 or 3 times bigger in content as SSBB

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Oh, I'm well aware that HD graphics take up far more memory than what Brawl could offer.

Also, looking at the content/graphics similarities of Melee and Brawl with a 7 GB difference, I don't have any expectation of Sm4sh being surprisingly super huge bigger than Brawl. I'm just curious how creative Sakurai will be with all that memory. And that the 3DS can hold up to the same amount as Brawl I'm curious how he's going to limit himself but stay creative and content filled (especially since that game will connect with the Wii U game).

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Oh, I'm well aware that HD graphics take up far more memory than what Brawl could offer.

Also, looking at the content/graphics similarities of Melee and Brawl with a 7 GB difference, I don't have any expectation of Sm4sh being surprisingly super huge bigger than Brawl. I'm just curious how creative Sakurai will be with all that memory. And that the 3DS can hold up to the same amount as Brawl I'm curious how he's going to limit himself but stay creative and content filled (especially since that game will connect with the Wii U game).
Yeah, I'm guessing that the 3DS version will probably be somewhere between Melee and Brawl as far as content is concerned. Not quite up to Brawl level, but more than Melee. Like, I'm guessing the 1P modes will be more like Melee than Brawl and it's SSE, and I doubt there will be as many characters (although it won't be THAT many fewer) as the Wii U version.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sheik makes a cameo in Scibblenats. I'm guessing even if never appearing in the zelda series again, sheik has became a part of the zelda character now

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I agree. Sheik revealing her true identity was definitely one of the most memorable moments in OoT.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They need to bring her back in the Zelda games.

I still primarily want the switch to be so much faster. Imagine if it was only 3 frames lol or that during the transformation, you have access to certain attacks so you don't lose combo momentum.

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kinda figured it was zelda all along. Zelda is like the only blonde in the game, and sheik wasn't exactly the most masculine of male disguises.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I still primarily want the switch to be so much faster. Imagine if it was only 3 frames lol or that during the transformation, you have access to certain attacks so you don't lose combo momentum.

:phone:
Agreed. Sucks that the Wii's power and Brawl being double layered got in the way of a speedy transformation.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's also not going to be localized

Unless we make a project _ fall

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
So they put Lucas in Brawl for nothing.
**** YOU NOA (and all parties involved in this)!
*Jumps off building.*

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I've always read that the main reason that M3 didn't come stateside- besides the fact that the GBA era was all-but-done- was that Nintendo doesn't want to deal with all of the possible legal issues that come with the many samplings (one enemy that's a bat, for example, basically has theme music that is something that is just a note or two away from being the 1960s Batman theme playing), homages and parodies in the Mother games, and Itoi is too beholden to his artistic vision to allow for things to get changed.

Similar reasons are why EB hasn't been on the VC: society's become just so much more litigious (and the internet makes it so much easier to spread information) that they don't want to risk it.

Of course, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. We should do EVERYTHING. Hell, let's petition President Obama for it, simply because it'd get a ton of attention (Imagine the headlines: "Video Game Fans ask President to have their favorite game be released stateside") .

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I always thought Mother 3 wasn't localized because NOA hates Mother for selling like garbage.

To be fair though, "This Game Stinks!" isn't exactly advertisement gold.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I always thought Mother 3 wasn't localized because NOA hates Mother for selling like garbage.

To be fair though, "This Game Stinks!" isn't exactly advertisement gold.
The fact that they haven't sold it and that it's built up such a cult following probably would INCREASE sales now...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it's anything like the only fighting games I have on the 3DS, they'll significantly lower the graphics on the stages and items and try and make the models of the characters look as good as they can while including the different modes.

I wonder if it'll be along the lines of Smash 64 in appearance with character models that are slightly better than that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom