• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
If Sonic gets cut then I feel like the backlash would be leagues beyond that of the combination between Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link combined.
Agreed

Especially with the newest 3d sonic being a Wii U/3DS exclusive, Mario & Sonic at the whatever games, etc etc

Sonic might as well be nintendo nowadays

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Um... so you mean like KoF, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom, Darkstalkers, Guilty Gear, and Skullgirls? That is an interesting opinion. I guess I am on the Smash Boards. Lol.
He's right though. Whilst I enjoy fighting games, for the most part those games have very "regular" gameplay. With the exceptions of certain specific features such as Fatality or MvC's three character thing they more or less fit into the genre the same. Smash is totally different.

Morbi

Scavenger
He's right though. Whilst I enjoy fighting games, for the most part those games have very "regular" gameplay. With the exceptions of certain specific features such as Fatality or MvC's three character thing they more or less fit into the genre the same. Smash is totally different.
Yeah. I am not even going down that road. Let us just say that most people don't even consider Smash a fighting game. Maybe that is why it isn't generic? I don't know.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
@~auto
Exactly. I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding this.

Morbi

Scavenger
@~auto
Exactly. I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding this.
Did you not read the thread? We have given reasons. The whole principle of Smash is to mash multiple franchises together. The fans wanted Sonic. We got Sonic. The fans wanted Megaman. We got Megaman. Guest characters can be a permanent addition. A guest doesn't mean they show up for one game. It just means they are a guest to the game. Sonic was a guest in Brawl. Is there any reason he couldn't be a guest in SSB? No. There isn't. This isn't like other fighting games, so the stigma with guests doesn't really apply here. That is all we are saying. Personally I do not even think he will return.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Has nintendo actually referred to sonic and snake as "guest" characters?

Because I usually see them as "3rd party" characters, and not guests.

Agreed. In most fighting games (like SC), guest characters are pretty irrelevant and are obviously one offs. One aspect of this is that in a game where there are a bunch of original characters along with 2 or 3 random additions, it makes no sense. Smash is an all-star game, with the fighters coming from different franchises as the entire point. The characters that are in each iteration join the Smash canon. There's no reason why they should be treated like guests for the generic 2d fighters.
In reference to Soul Calibur, I think of Sonic just like Yoshimitsu. He's FROM Tekken, but he's been in every Soul Calibur game because he's such a staple character. I know Sonic isn't from Nintendo, and Tekken and Soul Calibur are both Namco Bandai, but it's still very comparable. The point is, Sonic isn't just a "guest", he's a carefully chosen addition just like Megaman - as Sakurai said.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nintendo obviously could've easily negotiated Sonic in the next Smash Brothers at the same time as the new exclusives deal. It's not like it's even hard to get Sonic back.

And in the history of this franchise and any franchise ever whether it's games, movies, books, tv. If you give fans something they want? You risk a damn riot if you take it away.

Sonic is not going anywhere.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sonic is by no means a guarantee, if anything we're back to square one with him from Pre-Brawl, however, I do think he'll come back.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
In reference to Soul Calibur, I think of Sonic just like Yoshimitsu. He's FROM Tekken, but he's been in every Soul Calibur game because he's such a staple character. I know Sonic isn't from Nintendo, and Tekken and Soul Calibur are both Namco Bandai, but it's still very comparable. The point is, Sonic isn't just a "guest", he's a carefully chosen addition just like Megaman - as Sakurai said.
OHHH, MOST HONORABLE YOSHIMITSU-SAN! The best choice for a Soul Calibur and Tekken rep if ever.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I AM part of his fanbase. A life that's drowning in sin is not exactly a great one... but even I know what the hell to talk about.

Sonic is not a guarantee to comeback, especially considering we're in the dark about whether or not third party characters will come back.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I personally tend to stay away from Sonic-fandom. I've really found it's quite a major factor on me staying away from the series.

So much being a lone, but sane fan...

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I AM part of his fanbase. A life that's drowning in sin is not exactly a great one... but even I know what the hell to talk about.

Sonic is not a guarantee to comeback, especially considering we're in the dark about whether or not third party characters will come back or not.
I personally tend to stay away from Sonic-fandom. I've really found it's quite a major factor on me staying away from the series.

Us rare sane Sonic fans gotta stick together! Haha

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I could see a world where he's cut.

But it's also on the same page outside of Mega Man and to a less extent Pac Man. Sonic is the only third party guy that Smash fans want I can see getting in again easily.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Same here. I didn't really play Sonic games till around 2009. The fanbase turned me away from Sonic games. I received Sonic Collection and Sonic Adventure for the Gamecube as gifts from my previous boyfriend. I gave them a try and I quite liked those games. I still don't like the fanbase but the games are cool.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Like Sakurai has made a big deal out of special cases. I don't see many third party special cases.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Despite that his chances probably has been pretty much crushed flat like a pancake I guess. I will still have this itsy bitsy tiny little hope that Layton is getting in..... He likely wont but oh well... :/
Sure it isn't very likely at all, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. I still think Layton has more of a shot than a lot of other characters. Don't give up hope just yet.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sure it isn't very likely at all, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. I still think Layton has more of a shot than a lot of other characters. Don't give up hope just yet.

I'll try. I hope Layton is "special" enough for Sakurai to put himin as well but he probably/likely won't.... :c

Morbi

Scavenger
I think Sonic is a lot better than some of the crazy third-party requests. So for the reason I want him to stay. I don't want any meh third-party characters like Lloyd Irving.
Edit- Or Layton... :seuss:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
He isn't 100% guarantees to return as some people think, plus just because hes had so many games on Nintendo systems doesn't make him a staple of the series. Also 3rd Party Characters are Guest characters no matter how you try to twist it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Has nintendo actually referred to sonic and snake as "guest" characters?

Because I usually see them as "3rd party" characters, and not guests.
I believe Sakurai usually referred to Sonic and Snake as guest characters during the Brawl days. But nowadays he is apparently referring to them as third party characters. Make of it as you will... :/

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yeah, I'm just trying to provide reasonable support for his reappearance

Sonic is by no means a 100%

edit: thanks Kikwi

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Arcadenik is a girl? Didn't know that.
The more ya know. =P

@Krynxe: I know, I'm not trying to knock your opinion down or anything. I can see why people want Sonic to come back but as a guest, I just don't believe hes all that likely.

Morbi

Scavenger
He isn't 100% guarantees to return as some people think, plus just because hes had so many games on Nintendo systems doesn't make him a staple of the series. Also 3rd Party Characters are Guest characters no matter how you try to twist it.
Actually appearing on Nintendo consoles does make him a staple of Nintendo regardless of whether or not he is owned by Nintendo.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The main obstacles for Sonic is if Sakurai felt it wasn't warranted. We don't know the policy of guest characters, so we're in the dark. But I will say that because of Sonic's raw popularity, there is always the possibility of him returning. Him returning would also be a golden opportunity to "complete" the representation of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise in Super Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom